The Frustration Of FM 2010!! Crash Dump Error Galore!!

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent to be blaming the testers - it's been a while.

Crash Dumps are being looked at as some of them seem to be related to memory problems - however, in my experience the majority of them are solved by;

- Updating your graphics and sound drivers.

- Updating DirectX.

- Updating Java.

- Running in windowed mode.

- Not overdoing it in terms of the number of leagues / players you're loading.

As per usual, no real, meaningful response from anyone from SI/Sega about these errors, which are quite clearly serious problems for a lot of users, given the volume of threads posted about them. Your loyal customer base are speaking to you SI, and you do not seem to be listening. Personally, I've been buying FM for over ten years, and I'm almost certainly going to continue doing so, despite the problems, but it would be nice for the problems that I and many other users are experiencing to be, at the very least, acknowledged. Come on people...let us know what your plans are to deal with these issues, eh? Throw us a bone? Please?

Excellent to be blaming the testers - it's been a while.

Crash Dumps are being looked at as some of them seem to be related to memory problems - however, in my experience the majority of them are solved by;

- Updating your graphics and sound drivers.

- Updating DirectX.

- Updating Java.

- Running in windowed mode.

- Not overdoing it in terms of the number of leagues / players you're loading.

Marketing? ...right

I played this game every year and every year the first thing i noticed is not bugs or the patches we ve to wait or the numerous reports customers are doing around here, no the first thing is always the fact nearly none of SI or Sega staff can take criticism about their work and finding excuses, is there something wrong to cope with your mistakes? i could make fun with the word "polish" but sincerely i can cope with bugs and waiting patches i do this like everyone and every year, just be lucky you ve real fans of this game otherwise you could start another career.

Hi,

It would be great if someone could help me with regard to a problem I have with FM2010.

I had this problem a bit with Fm2009, but the game has crashed part way through a game. When making a tactical chenge.

The game crashed to desktop and left a crash dump - FM 2010 v10.1.0.84702 (2009.11.14 21.42.28)

I only have 8 leagues running, England down to BSP, Scots Premier, Serie A and 1.Bundesliga (Medium db). However I am in control of about 8 teams.

Here are my Laptop Specs:

CPU 2.00 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.3 GHz

RAM 3.0 GB

Grahics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Hard Drive 160

I was wondering if anybody could help me work out what is wrong, surely running a modest number of leagues and running a few teams at the same time can't be whats causing the problem. The only other thing I have running is FMRTE, perhaps this is the problem, additionally I have some logos downloaded, but I have disabled the faces.

Also I have a not got the 3d kit up I have catalogue kits instead.

What could be the problem, potentially:

i) Too many teams (Although 8 is not too many?)

ii) Logos and custom stuff, in that way is there any way to disable all the logos?

iii) Too many leagues running?

iv) FMRTE wunning in the background.

v) Cr*p Computer - Should I write to Santa for a new one ;)

Thanks in advance for anybody that can help me, I had a similar problem with FM2009 and in the end I just got bored with it. I really want to make this version work........

Marketing? ...right

I played this game every year and every year the first thing i noticed is not bugs or the patches we ve to wait or the numerous reports customers are doing around here, no the first thing is always the fact nearly none of SI or Sega staff can take criticism about their work and finding excuses, is there something wrong to cope with your mistakes? i could make fun with the word "polish" but sincerely i can cope with bugs and waiting patches i do this like everyone and every year, just be lucky you ve real fans of this game otherwise you could start another career.

Hear hear. SI/Sega - you're taking your customers for granted.

I'm sure you'll be able to rely on goodwill for a little bit longer, but it won't last for ever.

I think what people are saying is that you need to take people's comments, feedback and complaints just a touch more seriously.

Calm down folks, getting abusive resolves nothing, also telling people who are tearing their hair out that you don't have any problems isn't exactly likely to calm their ire.

Firstly, the crash dump issues are being investigated but it's not as simple as one problem fits all, the sensible procedure is to try the suggested fixes and then report back via the bugs forum if they don't resolve the issue for you.

You should at the same time provide the system info they request.

There's no doubt that a lot of people do resolve the issue by doing the above, the important thing is to establish who can't and what is causing the problem for them.

I've had two crash dumps in almost one season of play, one about an hour ago. Both happened when on the tactics screen in a match. The one today was when I went to click on an opposition player to see his attributes early on in the second half. Can't remember the exact circumstances of the other one, but it was when I clicked on something.

So far that is out of proportion with what I normally experience when playing FM. I also have a less intensive set-up than I had on my main FM2009 game, which I played from about February until FM2010 came out, and that didn't crash once in over 15 seasons.

Neil Brock posted earlier that they've found a possible source of the problem in the tactics view.

Also that they're chasing something else too, but I can't recall it verbatim.

I really don't want to get 'shouted' at for saying this, but it does seem weird to me that testing was done and these errors did not rear their ugly heads, in all the hours the testers must've been playing. It just doesn't seem possible. So many people are suffering from the same problems that it just doesn't seem plausible that these were not 'known issues' at release.

Given that they are, I guess all people want to know is what's being done to address the problems, and when we can expect a fix. That's all. No blame game, no finger pointing. Just a solution.

SI/Sega - there's no need to get ridiculously defensive. We all love your game, else we wouldn't be here, would we? Just treat us with some respect (Matt) and acknowledge what we are saying...

I really don't want to get 'shouted' at for saying this, but it does seem weird to me that testing was done and these errors did not rear their ugly heads, in all the hours the testers must've been playing. It just doesn't seem possible. So many people are suffering from the same problems that it just doesn't seem plausible that these were not 'known issues' at release.

Ok, so we can look at one of two routes.

Route 1: SI are lying gits who knew all about the crashes, but decided to sell the game anyway while laughing at all the people on the forum and lying in their big pile of money made off peoples misery.

OR

Route 2: Every single tester had a fully updated computer that was up to the minimum spec for the game, with new drivers, java updated etc.

There does appear to be a SMALL number of people who have a genuine issue with a good computer (often a mac it seems) that is up to spec and fully updated - but those people are lost in the avalanche of people whining that FM wont run on their 5 year old lap top with an integrated graphics card or people who put up their system report and say 'look its all fine im not stupid' until someone points out the last time they updated their drivers was 2007.

This is not meant as a 'slight' against people who have done everything they can and the game still wont work, or the poor people who cant afford a new computer, but still bought the game anyway.

The problem is even if you have plenty of RAM it'll only use up to 1.7Gb of it before crashing. Long term games will eventually start hitting that even if you use the recommended league settings.

I've updated everything, I've got more than the recommended settings. Still crashes and I'm using half what I ran with FM09 and never had a problem on that. The only difference is the game itself.

Given that they are, I guess all people want to know is what's being done to address the problems, and when we can expect a fix. That's all. No blame game, no finger pointing. Just a solution.

SI/Sega - there's no need to get ridiculously defensive. We all love your game, else we wouldn't be here, would we? Just treat us with some respect (Matt) and acknowledge what we are saying...

yet another crash dump. AGAIN. Unbelievable.

What the hell is going on with this game??? I've done EVERYTHING that has been suggested. My PC isn't the best, but it's pretty decent.

This is really getting on my nerves now.

I am still running Windows XP and i play from DVD. I have updated Java, DirectX and Graphics Card Drivers. I always run the game in windows mode and the skin cache option is unticked in preferences. My sound is also switched off. I do run the huge database with players from 6 leagues.

I don't use incremental saves but i normally save after each game.

My game always crashes when i try to access the Finance screen, otherwise i have had no issues up to now.

I have uploaded my save game to the ftp site, named "Crash Dump Barca-10.1" and dump files and error messages to the crash dump folder with the same name.

System Information report written at: 11/15/09 11:43:02

System Name: Laptop

[system Summary]

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name Laptop

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model MM061

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1994 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 09/03/2006

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name Laptop\Matthew

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 2.26 GB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB

Page File Space 4.83 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I tried loading my save game back up again, Earlier tonight. But it still kept crashing.

I noticed that everytime it was about to crash, Like when i clicked on a player profile or on the squad screen. The computer made a loud loading noise and the FM screen freeze's for a few seconds then it came up with the crash dump. So after trying, Going on holiday, Turning off 3D..etc All to no avail.

I tonight changed the Process priority of FM.exe in the Task Manager, From normal to high. And this sorted it.

It made the loud loading noise a couple of times on my save game around July & the same times i got crash dumps before (When i was clicking on new screens, continuing the game .. Etc.)

But it never went to a crash dump this time.

Since then it has been fine. (Touch Wood)

I managed to get the game past July and am already into my 3rd season, At last. I have even quit and restarted FM, So the Fm.exe as been back on normal priority since, And still, Not had a one crash dump.

It went from constanly crash dumping everytime i tired to play on with my save, And with one simple click in the task manager FM.exe from normal priority to high priority. There as not been a crash dump since.

Don't know why i did'nt think to try that a week ago. Oh well at least i can play on with my save now.

Maybe if you have the same problem as me give it a try.

Not sure 100% if it will work for you, But its worth a shot. :)

I was thinking that mate, but that could take a helluva lot of time now. Im really, really disapointed and frustrated that this has happened, because i was enjoying the season so much and it's kinda put me off from starting a new season with somebody else, just in case it happens again down the line!!

Just Intentionally lose the two games to replicate the same results. Its not hard just start with your under 18s in both games

Well, for now I think I'll stop playing until the memory issue (and the tactics screen crash dump) are sorted out, because both these issues are meanwhile getting seriously on my nerves. I save frequently of course, but being thrown back to desktop all the time does get a little old. Let's just hope that this issue will be sorted out asap, cause if you consider the fact that for now it's recommended to run small databases etc, the game is essentially broken. It's rather frustrating, as this was my very first FM I bought (screw you EA), and when it works it is leaps and bounds above Fifa Manager ... note: WHEN it works.

So it seems only really lucky people have a version that works, either it does or it don't. You cant just sell things that might or might not work this sucks....... Why bother putting a recommended spec on the sleeve of the game if that wont even run it because oh yeah its bust. Cheers for taking my money i dont suppose any SI or SEGA people could at least get in touch, thought not.

There does appear to be a SMALL number of people who have a genuine issue with a good computer (often a mac it seems) that is up to spec and fully updated - but those people are lost in the avalanche of people whining that FM wont run on their 5 year old lap top with an integrated graphics card or people who put up their system report and say 'look its all fine im not stupid' until someone points out the last time they updated their drivers was 2007.

This is not meant as a 'slight' against people who have done everything they can and the game still wont work, or the poor people who cant afford a new computer, but still bought the game anyway.

This is not meant to be a slight on you but you dont have a clue what you are on about, i recon most people have better than the minimum spec, I for one have far greater than double the minimum spec and I am getting crash dumps your want to stop thinking your smart and listen to people. You must be the only guy in the world with money to buy a decent computer lol.

Ok, so we can look at one of two routes.

Route 1: SI are lying gits who knew all about the crashes, but decided to sell the game anyway while laughing at all the people on the forum and lying in their big pile of money made off peoples misery.

OR

Route 2: Every single tester had a fully updated computer that was up to the minimum spec for the game, with new drivers, java updated etc.

This is not meant to be a slight on you but you dont have a clue what you are on about, i recon most people have better than the minimum spec, I for one have far greater than double the minimum spec and I am getting crash dumps your want to stop thinking your smart and listen to people. You must be the only guy in the world with money to buy a decent computer lol.

Yes.. but you have a flaw in your 'arguement'

I simple DO have a clue what im talking about.

Check my post history if it makes you feel better - ive helped 15+ people since the game came out and answered questions in 40+ threads. ALL the people I helped either had an under spec computer or had drivers out of date. OR were simply running a stupidly large database that the game/or pc couldnt handle.

If you are having crash dumps and your pc is far above spec do two things.

1) Print out your system specs and let us see them - let us see if you have up-to-date drivers and a graphics card that is actually above spec.

2) Start a new game, ask the game what the 'recommended' number of leagues and nations are - and then compare that to the number of leagues and nations you are currently running.

If you can do point 1 and everything is up-to-date and correct, and then do point 2 and tell me honestly the result and im wrong - then I shall appologise - but ill put good money on it that im not.

One thing i don't get then is when the computer is above minimum specs, drivers are updated and so on, why does it still crash with only one country selected, when recommended shows that you can play with much more?!

Right now it seems like the higher the amount of leagues/players triggers the crash at an earlier point.

If you're running, let's say, 1 league from 1 country, you're not very likely to play long enough to experience a crash.

Not saying you're wrong Maidel, because you're not. But there is more to this than the same old tips and tricks.

Right now it seems like the higher the amount of leagues/players triggers the crash at an earlier point.

If you're running, let's say, 1 league from 1 country, you're not very likely to play long enough to experience a crash.

Not saying you're wrong Maidel, because you're not. But there is more to this than the same old tips and tricks.

Id be really interrested to see if this is true - ive read a few posts by people who have done 20+ year holiday games and experianced nothing - so it looks like it might have to be a LONG LONG time :)

Id be really interrested to see if this is true - ive read a few posts by people who have done 20+ year holiday games and experianced nothing - so it looks like it might have to be a LONG LONG time :)

I tried zooming through the english premier league using the 3D. I set up one country with 7 leagues. I managed to finish the friendlies, but on the first competitive match it crashed while going into the first match.

If i'm not mistaking i think i was running large database.

In my career game i'm running 40 countries with 96 leagues.

Running 2D only, and i can play around 8 hours before it crashes.

If i'm running my career game with 3D, then i can manage around 2-3 matches without it crashing.

My computer is a Q6700 2.67GHZ, 4GB RAM (3.25GB available), 1TB HDD (around 800GB available), Nvidia Geforce 260GTX 896MB, Windows 7 Ultimate RC1.

Defragmenting, cleaning the HDD, updating drivers. All that i do/check pretty much all the time, since i don't have anything better to do at the time :D

I'm no computer expert, but i'm not a newbie either.

What seems to be coming back all the time is 1.7-1.8GB of RAM used by the game. Large Database and 3D.

The constant increase of memory usage, since it releases less than it uses.

Now all that can be a common thing, and it can be something that we have done that has an impact.

SI did say though that they've managed to replicate the problem, but they don't know how to solve it yet. So i take it that there is something there that shouldn't be.

But i'm hoping and waiting. If it was something i could fix myself, then i would do it. Nothing would please me more to know that it was a problem caused by myself.

I ran the same set-up on FM09 on the same computer. Didn't have a single crash. So what's different? What makes FM10 crash but not FM09, on my computer?

Ok - ive seen your problem.

Try this for me - start a new game - and hit 'recommended set up' - see how many leagues the GAME thinks you should be running - I susspect it will be somwhere around 1/3 of what you are currently running.

Now - this is a guess - but I susspect the reason why the game could handle much more in FM09 is that FM10 has more of the game 'referenced' at any time - this means it runs faster (which it really really does) but its more resource hogging at the same time.

The fact that you chose a large database is slightly irrelavent - because it WAS large until you selected 40 countries - at which point it basically became an uber huge database. :p

Recommended comes up with 5 nations/12 leagues. Exactly the same as all the other previous FMs.

I've played FM on three different computers, and it's always been the same recommendation for me, no matter which FM. The worst one was a laptop which is miles behind my current computer, when it comes to performance. Although it is a pointer to how much you can run, i don't really trust that recommended thingy.

And i'm very aware of the database thingy i'm running on my career game now. So i was expecting slow gameplay, lags maybe even crashes. Can't expect anything less with an uber massive database :p

That's why i ran 1 nation with 7 leagues as well (english),but i still got the crash.

Something just isn't right, and it seems like SI has recognized that as well, since they're on the case.

Something just isn't right, and it seems like SI has recognized that as well, since they're on the case.

Its very odd that nothing came up with the testing.

I do trust them when they say that - reason being is that the testers are all just 'normal' people and all it would take is one of them to 'come clean' and it would totally ruin SI reputation.

Im sure SI will fix it if they can :)

Yeah, it's very odd that it wasn't picked up while testing, but they know now :D

I don't blame the testers either, they're doing what they're supposed to do the best way they can. And yeah. I think SI is working hard to find a solution to it.

It'll be a wonderful day when that day comes :)

my game crashes every 2 in-game weeks or so, sometimes more often; playing 1 country, 1 league, small database. T7500 core2duo, 3gs ram, nvidia 8600m gs, drivers etc. all up to date, vista. 10.1 patch.

FM10 is UNPLAYABLE

Any chance i can get a refund? (downloaded the game through Gamesplanet) How would I go about this? I have been sold a duff game that doesnt work prperly. Help please.

If you're convinced you're up to date with drivers, Java, DirectX, have tried all other suggestions - then please, your best bet is to post in the bugs forum with details of your system.

In short - this is hard to reproduce and is proving a challenge to lock down and fix. I've asked SI and believe they will provide an update tomorrow. I'll come back with more info when it's available - please rest assured they're trying as hard as they can to resolve this.

If you're convinced you're up to date with drivers, Java, DirectX, have tried all other suggestions - then please, your best bet is to post in the bugs forum with details of your system.

In short - this is hard to reproduce and is proving a challenge to lock down and fix. I've asked SI and believe they will provide an update tomorrow. I'll come back with more info when it's available - please rest assured they're trying as hard as they can to resolve this.

Update? Just had yet another Crash Dump...

FM10 is UNPLAYABLE

Any chance i can get a refund? (downloaded the game through Gamesplanet) How would I go about this? I have been sold a duff game that doesnt work prperly. Help please.

SPOT ON MATE, I bought a new computer last year for the sole purpose of playing football manager so obviously i bought one with far better spec than needed. I can play any 3d games with higher specs than this fm and had no probs whatsoever with fm09.

The claim that it is everyones computer is a joke and asking people to play fewer leagues and smaller databases defeats the purpose of the game as lots of players are then not available.

SI have just tried to be too smart with adding the 3d and the stadium and crowds, they are just clutching at straws as they dont know how to fix it and are touching cloth that they will lose sales so saying it may be peoples computers is trying to buy them some time.

They must think we are all totally thick and cant read the spec, I have no intention of posting my computer spec as its a total waste of time.

ITS THE GAME AND THATS THE END OF IT............................GET IT SORTED:mad:

SPOT ON MATE, I bought a new computer last year for the sole purpose of playing football manager so obviously i bought one with far better spec than needed. I can play any 3d games with higher specs than this fm and had no probs whatsoever with fm09.

The claim that it is everyones computer is a joke and asking people to play fewer leagues and smaller databases defeats the purpose of the game as lots of players are then not available.

SI have just tried to be too smart with adding the 3d and the stadium and crowds, they are just clutching at straws as they dont know how to fix it and are touching cloth that they will lose sales so saying it may be peoples computers is trying to buy them some time.

They must think we are all totally thick and cant read the spec, I have no intention of posting my computer spec as its a total waste of time.

ITS THE GAME AND THATS THE END OF IT............................GET IT SORTED:mad:

WOW... I think you can't touch anything with fire or you will do something you regret :D;) Joking.

Anyway you have point, but personally I would wrote very mild way. It should work on computers that have the minimum specs.

I even wonder how could these crash dumps been missed by the testers?

Anyway if you want a refund try to find gamesplanet the policy of return items or try to sell it on Ebay or something of the likes. Hope it helps you.

Im not trying to be a funny guy here and im not trying to rant and rave about this game because to put it in simple terms "I ****ing Love The Game and Always Will!" but can a moderator or somebody from SI Games give us fans any indicaton on when a patch might be due to fix this sodding "Crash Dump Error" im fed up of constantly crapping myself at the prospect of my game crashing and trust me, it has a number of times!!

Can anyone shed any light on this pretty flipping please??

Its not that I dont want the game really but im am rite pis**d off that they are trying to call all of us stupid. The fact that we keep them in jobs should tell them not to be so silly with their comments.

It is obviously the game or they wouldnt be trying to fix it, an apology to us the buyers and not trying to blame us should be the least expected.

So there are a few things that you can do that will minimise the chances of crashing;

- Update graphics card drivers and sound card drivers.

- Update DirectX.

- Update Java.

- Try running in windowed mode.

If you've tried all of this then the thread linked above is the best place to watch for more info etc. I'm sorry that you're struggling - hopefully the above will help you out.

I don't think anyone is trying to call you stupid. As I understand it the problem is tough to replicate - I believe Byron has made some headway based on his posts in the thread that I linked above. I'm sorry you're struggling - its worth checking that you've done all the obvious things that would minimise chances of crashing before assuming that it's definitely FM... not all crashes are caused by the issue detailed above.

So - its worth trying to update your graphics and soundcard drivers, update Java and DirectX, and try running the game in windowed mode. Some people are stopping the game crashing by looking at these fixes. There is a problem with memory on some machines and if that is what's stopping you from playing - all I can do is apologise and let you know that we're trying to fix that specific issue as best as possible... keep an eye on the linked thread for updates.

Cheers

Matt

It didn't come up in testing, that isn't completely amazing when you consider how many hundreds of thousands are playing the game with no problem.

It must be something pretty specific which affects particular configurations of hardware and/or software etc.

Of course that doesn't lessen the impact on those affected and nobody should feel anything but sympathy for them.

SI will keep at it till it's resolved for those people so please keep the faith and post your specs if you're affected, especially if they aren't the same or very similar to specs posted by others with the problem.

Archived