dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dafuge/Allan, will I be alright to start it but save a screenshot at the beginning to post when the site is up?

You might want to hold off for a bit until the new thread is up since the rules haven't been finalized. Wouldn't be so great to have started with a setting set wrong and have to restart, now would it? :D

Yes I am playing on 08. And amazangliy I managed to get Chelsea as a parent club.

Got two players. A winger and left back. But my goalie is useless and as is my centre half pairing. So if they shoot. Its pretty much a goal.

And I can't sign anyone atm because of a damn board takeover. And they pretty much said, pick up your form or your goneski's.

A little hard with no transfer money and you not letting me buy players. ******'s.

Secretly hoping to get sacked and start again with a lower rep team.

And whats this whole thing about the Islanders?

I hear they help out quite considerbaly

Good work on the logos michael, they really add to the realism for me - where will they be hosted?

Looking forward to getting my game started tonight once dafuge has set the ball rolling. I think I'll try for Tonbridge Angels or Buxton so it is going to be some serious time spent reloading for me!

I've been reloading for a bit to see which teams are likely to show up. So far Halesowen Town and Oxford City are the lowest rep teams I've seen (1000). FC United of Manchester have a rep of 1050 and they've appeared twice for me.

There does seem to be more 1000+ rep teams this year available for the challenge, which may be the problem. Do the settings that kccicle said seem reasonable if so I will start also reloading and more than happy to upload any unuual teams, if I get the right tick boxes etc... I wont actually pick a team/start the challenge myself until all the rules have been finalised, but if what kcc has stated seems reasonable for the start, I will go from there.

It seems nigh-on impossible to get a team below 1000 rep promoted. I've been reloading for 2 hours now and I haven't seen a single one appear.

It seems like the 1st player to get a below 1000 rep team has to upload the database somewhere. I don't know if I can wait for two-five hours of reloading. :(

I'm thinking the same thing as Gilbster - the large number of 1000+ rep teams means you're quite unlikely to see the few lower ranked ones promoted. I've used the same settings as kccircle (all english divisions, large database, load all english players, unticked that checkbox about key staff members), but it's not like I know these will be the correct ones. I'm prepared to start over if they'd turn out to be wrong. I don't plan to do anything other than reloads to see which teams get promoted before the official thread appears anyway.

How do we see what the reputation of all the clubs are?

Has anyone seen Corby Town come through? These are my local side (and i'm the researcher) so i'd really like to play as them, but if its gonna take me three days of reloading to get them then i won't bother...

After holidaying for an hour and a half on a large database and still only hitting december, I have decided my poor laptop is clearly not going to cope with a large database with retaining players, given save games only ever get slower and bigger, and I hate slow.

I am now holidaying on Medium database and really hope my options are correct or of course I will have wasted the majority of my afternoon not doing anything remotely productive!

Corby are 800 rep, and the list of the clubs reps will most probably be in teh opening post made by Dafuge, hopefully later tonight. Failing that I think it was on the previous page of this thread.

I'm using the editor to check reputations, but dafuge also posted them on page 114.

I'm off for dinner now, but after 5½ hours of reloading I've yet to see a single <1000 rep team earn promotion. Corby has 800 - 15th in their league in terms of reputation - so frankly I think you'll have a hard time getting them through. :/

Thanks Gilbster/Scab, guess i'm unlikely to see them through then, but i'll have a go. Its a shame cos they're top of their league with games in hand and looking quite good for real life promotion...

Its been about 8 months since i did this challenge. Why do we turn off key staff?

If thats the case this year then Scab, then that real men comment will have to be changed to clubs of 1000 or less.

BTW for those that are reloading are the teams this year coming through with decent sized squads? ie, is retaining the English players having the effect it should do?

Scab, that could just be because there is no Merthyr researcher.

Typical the Dafuge, the one guy we could do with having no problems, is having trouble activating. I'm off home now, hopefully things will be ok by 7pm...

Promoted teams do have squads and staff. The only exception to this that I've noticed is Merthyr Tydfil which despite their 1200 reputation only has 1 player.

I think I know the reason for that.

I'm hoping not too many people have already started, the idea of loading all English players will not work due to teams like Merthyr having Welsh players. We are going to need to use a DDT file to load the necessary players.

If I ever get my game authorised I might be able to get this thing started.

The DDT file would add all the players for the clubs in the three feeder leagues without loading a lot of extra ones. It will keep the database down to a reasonable level and make sure that non-English players are generated for clubs like Merthyr.

You could always use a small database, but the DDT file will be necessary to make sure you don't inherit an empty squad.

The DDT file would add all the players for the clubs in the three feeder leagues without loading a lot of extra ones. It will keep the database down to a reasonable level and make sure that non-English players are generated for clubs like Merthyr.

You could always use a small database, but the DDT file will be necessary to make sure you don't inherit an empty squad.

I haven't played the demo and am about to pop out and buy the game now so you might want to take my advice with a pinch of salt.

In recent issues of FM the key to lower league success has been physical ability.

Most people who did well without loaning brilliant players in from a club in the upper echelons of the structure seemed to base their tactics on being good at the back, (GK seems to become more key with each issue), fine tuning their set-pieces, (no that does not mean the corner exploit), and pairing 2 strikers with different strengths, (a big fat old bloke who is good in the air paired with a speedy youngster for example).

Technical ability seems to be of less importance, (at least it was in the past).

Good luck all.

Remember though that the new thread won't be opened till tonight and it is likely that some people will be using this thread to continue the FM08 challenge so maybe try to restrain your obvious enthusiasm to post in here about newly started FM09 games.

I've found playing an attacking tactic with fast strikers and a good Keeper the key to getting out of the BSN - we start off with a low reputation so the computer doesn't seee us as a threat at the start and will play a more attacking style with a high defensive line coupled with older slower defenders, leaving your pacey strikers with several one-on-one chances a game with them eventually scoring, whilst a good keeper will hopefully keep the goals out, defenders and midfielders I don't tend to find that useful at non-league level - my defenders are used to block shots and then thump the ball down the field.

Keeping it simple is also the best way to go, it also depends on what players you can bring in, but what do I know it's taken me two seasons each time to get out of the BSN...

For anyone who is holidaying for fm09 to speed things up drop the detail levels to min, and also dont add any logos for the challenge teams until you've picked a team - as the default badges make picking out the promoted teams easier (though Vauxhall, Team Bath, Chelsmford, Maidenhead and Weston-Super-Mare are all BSN/S teams without a logo).

Also who ever decided it was a good idea to make fm activatable considering it seemed to crash the internet :mad:

Finally I've got it authorised, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running soon, just need to finalise a few things.

Yep that was fun, took longer to activate the game than it did to leave work, wait for my late bus, pop into Morrisions and pinch the last copy from infront of a kid :D and for the first time ever get served without having to wait in a queue, and then wait over two hours for the game to decide I had an internet connection :mad: (it took less time to holiday through a season than activate the game).

I've been reloading for a bit to see which teams are likely to show up. So far Halesowen Town and Oxford City are the lowest rep teams I've seen (1000). FC United of Manchester have a rep of 1050 and they've appeared twice for me.

I got banbury(900) twice in 5 reloads

edit: Save on june 24th, new teams come up on the 25th

Please enlighten me, cause i have seemed to forget.

Saved june 18th - went on holiday for 1 day - no "game update" it only shows the teams promoted and relegated for the 08 season.

Where is i can tell which teams have gotten promos to the BSN/S ?

Dons, the reset date has changed. 25th is when the new teams appear, so holiday to the 24th (so you can reload for new selections of teams).

Cheers!

Here goes a nice challenge - Ashford 650 rep - no stadium, we will play on the grass field outside the school!

edit - nm - they have a mighty 2500 cap stadium..

I dont understand how a couple of people can reload all day and get nothing below 1000, and then we get dons and donald duck with sub 1000 teams, presumably without the hours or reloading. Are you 2 both using ddt files, cos it sounds like its going to be a requirement for this year.

Woho, finally works here aswell :) - After a ***** start, well done Sega!

Can't wait to find out the correct rules, and start my game :)

*btw; load extra players from england? uncheck staff?

Right?

I'm nearly there, just hold out for a bit as the rules have changed a bit.

Dons, the reset date has changed. 25th is when the new teams appear, so holiday to the 24th (so you can reload for new selections of teams).
...and a reputation of 1150 ;)

Ow.. looked from the list on page 1.. Downloaded the game from steam, and for some reason it doesnt seem to show an editor in the file, so how do you tell what rep they have?

Archived