Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@docgm i am not asking to remove it i said for you to set ti to allow steam connections to the internet , i make the explanations simple has possible , also i ts an issue with that specific version of if i don't even now if thats what your using , and look how much people use it without issues .and steam program that works with firewalls and wireless routers? dude t works and by any chance you know what the firewall is mean for? if you knew you wouldn't say what you just did , so saying that your fair computer skilled is kind of a "contrast"

@Timee open FM load your save anc click the button that says FM ( were its the preferences and the save options ) and select game status

Thanks for your reply Aim_less. I do know exactly what firewalls and routers are and what they do, though granted I can see how my previous post may be a kind of 'contrast' to this as you put it. What I meant to say is from all the list of fixes and common problems with Steam, it seems to mostly be related to firewalls, wireless routers and connectivity and it certainly seems to be the reason for my problems with it. What i am complaining about is that having turned off my firewall, reset it, got it to 're-learn' steam and to 'allow' steam to do what it needs to do, it still didnt work and i kept getting error messages saying it could not connect to steam servers or it would start updating but then get stuck on 0% and not actually do anything. This was despite sitting right next to my wireless router so the signal strength was perfect to try and get rid of the 'wireless connectivity' variability problems stated on the steam forums. Finally when i wiped steam, reinstalled it and updated it with my firewall and antivirus programme completely inactivated, i got it working. I suspect the same thing will no doubt happen again when steam decides to update itself again in the future. This is what I meant by saying surely in this day and age when everyone is wireless and everyone has firewalls and antivirus, that a programme such as steam should be compatible with all of them rather than causing all this chaos. I think Steam is actually a brilliant idea, i just wish it ran smoothly and granted, i`m sure there are millions of users out there who do not have any problems with it. For me if it was just a case of 'making the firewall allow steam to do its thing' or 'restart steam' or 'restart your computer' I would have just done that and not been on here moaning about it. What i do not find acceptable is wasting 2 whole evenings trying to get it to work, downloading everything again, waiting for it update itself, and even when my steam connection is working fine i will occasionally be told that 'my game is unavailable and to try later'. Surely the fact I own the game should mean I decide when it is available to play and not Steam!.

Evening guys!

I recently bought FM 2011 from Greenman Gaming, because it was the cheapest price around, I've recieved a reciept from GMG which also has an activation key with it. I've opened steam, signed in and gone to add games at the bottom left of the screen and gone to activate product. I followed the instructions and entered the key number then clicked next. Then 'Steam - working' comes up with a loading bar which doesnt move at all then after a minute or so it closes and says that the steam server is unavailable.

I've tried changing the download region but it doesn't works, I've emailed Steam but haven't had a reply yet.

Just getting frustrated now and just want to install/play the game.

Help would be much appreciated!!!

Aah brilliant, just as i said....so having got it working again the other night, this evening i come home from work, decide to play FM2011 and surprise surprise, guess what happened. Steam decides to update itself, which it actually manages this time and now i cant log in to my account and here is yet another evening without being able to access MY game. Genius those steam guys, utter genius. SO i disable my firewall and my entire antivirus programme again, it doesnt work, then i reset my firewall and get it to re-learn the new updated and still ultra-**** steam and hey, it doesnt work. ****ing brilliant.

My internet connection is terrible for a few days, whenever I tried to connect steam it tries to login forever and cannot connect. Therefore I cannot play the game. Is there any way to open the game without connecting steam. I saw something tells that just create a shortcut of fm.exe but it didn't work. Is there anything that you can recommend?

OK finally my internet is good and I can connect but still if there is a way I will be pleased to know

Hi,

I have football manager 2011 for my Samsung NC10 netbook. After installing it through steam it worked fine for a couple of days. I was then wishing to take my netbook home for the weekend, so disconnected all the cables; power, printer, ethernet cable and monitor which I use to play football manager. Therefore I don't believe the problem is resolution related as my monitor runs on the required resolution as this has already been suggested. Now whenever I try and load the game through the steam or through the football manager shortcut on my desktop it does not boot. Initially it said the game was already running but it did not show up on taskmanager or the taskbar and I couldn't see any evidence of it. After searching forums on the internet many suggested adding small_screen -windowed and/or --skin=netbook2011 to the target code of the shortcut. I tried this and it also didnt work and now does not say the game is already running although steam seems to believe I have been on the game. I've posted on several forums and nobody has been able to help so anything you may be able to do would be really appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I have FM11 through steam and it has been working fine since day of release until now where i keep getting crash dumps and my game shuts down, rather annoying! Can anyone help as to why this may be the case?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I was running FM2011 on my laptop for a couple of weeks, saving games to my C:/ drive and running with the DVD in the disk drive. I started having problems whereby the game wouldn't save so decided to install and run via Steam. All was ok and it runs fine on my laptop. I have now installed Steam and FM2011 on my PC but can't accesss my current game from it. Should I be able to? Have I got to start a new game? I thought the idea was that you could play your game from another PC.

Have never used Steam before as have always installed and run from the disc.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

I've installed FM11 through Steam for the Mac.

When I try to launch it, the FM11 icon pops up on the dock, bounces once, then immediately disappears... No error messages, no nothing...

Anyone know what's causing this problem?

(I've tried verifying cache files, and reinstalling... neither seems to be working)

When I try to launch it, the FM11 icon pops up on the dock, bounces once, then immediately disappears... No error messages, no nothing...

(I've tried verifying cache files, and reinstalling... neither seems to be working)

Exactly the same for me!!!! Iv tried installing through steam and running it offline with the disk!!! It installs fine but never loads up!!! Im raging like

• Administrators

It works fine with me, have you ensured your OS is up to date, and possibly tried reinstalling Steam?

As a very last resort something similar happened to me once, reinstalling the OS worked for me when I was having these problems with other applications.

It is happening to me sometimes, I shut down Stam via Task Manager and opening again, then it works.

Hi need some help. when i try to run the program a message saying "Error: unable to find some essential data. please ensure the game is installed correctly. if problem persisits please contact system support." i have tried everything iv read and reinstalled it about 10 times with my anti virus on and off. nothing works at all. would like to play the game before the next one comes out so any help would be appreciated. thanks.

I am getting error code 77 when I try to run FM2011. I am having problems with one other STEAM game but the other three work fine. I updated graphics card drivers, directX and reinstalled steam, verified cache files and am trying the blob thing next. I appreciate any help. STEAM referred me here as they were unable to help me fix it. Been without FM2011 for 3 weeks now going back and forth with STEAM trying to fix. I appreicate any help.

Registry Blob failed too. Deleted the NDF files and it works now.

sorry to invade your post but i am not very technical and really unsure on how to seek help on here!!!!! i bought football manager seven days ago now from steam and have not been able to play the game! i am still awaiting a response from SEGA as steam have now completely fobbed me off and told me to direct my problem to SEGA! although i bought the game from them?????????? when setting up my game i can play right up until i play my first friendly - then i receieve a 'CRASH DUMP' error? this i know through internet searches is a common problem - only all of the solutions on the forums and internet are not helping as the game continues to crash! could anybody help please?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here can help me as I've tried steam support and they've now directed me to third-party support after trying a couple of solutions that have failed.

I Downloaded FM11 for the Mac via Greenman gaming to play on steam and it was working fine. I then stupidly downloaded the estelliate patch at the end of December when the first patch arrived as I didn't realise steam updated automatically (and to be fair they could have put the warnings a bit more prominently on the patch page!). It stopped me starting up the game, but I managed to sort this out with help from steam support.

However, my problem now is I can run the game fine, until I get to match days, where upon as soon as I click on 'play' the game crashes/closes immediately. I've looked at the crash report and the main error seems to be something that says ' Exception type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)' Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE'

Has anyone got ANY ideas how I can sort this out? I have completely wiped and reinstalled the game, removed all estelliate bits from my drive, verified all my files a million times and tried a trick with steam support that involves renaming steamapps 'steamapp_old' and partially reinstalling some files. None of it has worked - it all gives me exactly the same result of being able to play the game until match day. I tried it with old saved games as well as newly started ones as well!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've done a couple searches of the forums, and nobody seems to be having a similar problem (or maybe they are and I just suck). I am running FM 2011 via Steam on a brand new Macbook Pro 15", 4GB RAM, etc. I am having the same problem I was having on my old 13" MBP, the game will just continue to eat memory until it stops responding, not a crash dump, just stops responding until I kill it and Steam.

Is this just a memory leak that I'm going to have to get used to?

@Clearyg yes it is

@lukeh check your hardrive for errors have you tried verify cache after downloading?

@ Lewstherrintelamon

Step one Verify Game cache:

-Load Steam

-From the My Games tab, right-click on FM2010 and select Properties from the menu.

-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

-Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

Step Two: Restart Steam

- Simply close down Steam via going to the 'Exit' then restart it

Step Tree: Verify Game Cache again

@Gareth Lewis try this http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=446326

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=446326

@garymwalker try turning off data colection on fm options

• 1 month later...

when i try to run the program a message saying "Error: unable to find some essential data. please ensure the game is installed correctly. if problem persisits please contact system support......

its only happened since i got the new update.. ive tryed to verify game cache but that dint work anyother help???

Hi guys does setting the automatic steam updates to off actually work?

I ask because half way through a saved game in which I was using the real german team(file concerned had been removed) I then had a brainexplosion and checked to verify the game ......obviously it saw the offending file was missing and added it back in..........

so heres the thing having had the 11.3 update..it has also put back the files in 11.1 11.2 I had taken out....I know have removed them again but dont want a bloody steam update changing things again....so having set it to do not auto update the game will this work....I dont think there should be any steam updates for FM11 in future???

cheers

• 5 weeks later...

I can't get a DDT file to work, it's working for everyone else. I'm on a Mac using Steam and I've put the DDT file in this area:

User/Library/ApplicationSupport/Steam/steamapps/common/football manager 2011/data/updates/update-1110/db/1110/edt/

Any ideas what is wrong?

Unicode quotation marks used in the DDT, perhaps (“ and ” as opposed to the ASCII "). On Windows FM accepts both while I've noticed that on OS X it wants the proper ASCII ". If this is your problem you can fix it manually or with the find-and-replace function in TextEdit.

Unicode quotation marks used in the DDT, perhaps (“ and ” as opposed to the ASCII "). On Windows FM accepts both while I've noticed that on OS X it wants the proper ASCII ". If this is your problem you can fix it manually or with the find-and-replace function in TextEdit.

Either I don't understand that or there aren't any quotation marks. This is an example of the code in the DDT:

ìRETAIN_PLAYERSî ì4002016î

EDIT: Nevermind, opened it in notepad through my university's citrix system and saw what you meant. Thanks a lot Scab. Just getting used to small things having moved to Mac from Windows recently.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks everyone for their advice on here. Spent about 6hrs today trawling through it all to finally get game to work on my netbook

Changed the Steam launch option as recommended and loaded fine. I have also got the netbook skin downloaded. However, I can't get it to load as I not sure where in the steam files to put it. Can someone tell me where it should go? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Error: Unable to find some eseential data. please ensure game is installed correctly. If the problem persists please contact technical support.

I have been struggerling with this for a few days and still waiting for a reply. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've downloaded the game 4 times and has always fully downloaded fine. I'm using through steam and am on windows 7. Any help would be appreciated

Error: Unable to find some eseential data. please ensure game is installed correctly. If the problem persists please contact technical support.

I have been struggerling with this for a few days and still waiting for a reply. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've downloaded the game 4 times and has always fully downloaded fine. I'm using through steam and am on windows 7. Any help would be appreciated

Firstly:

Load up steam >

Right click FM >

Properties >

Local files >

Verify integrity

all files successfully validated but I am still getting the same message. I have also deleted the cache files which I have seen other people have recommended to do with this problem, but the proble still presists. Any other suggestions

I am having problem with Steam. I am going to start a new game, with 11.3 database. However, when I go to start the game, my only option are 11.1 or 11.2. Funny thing is, I know it has updated to 11.3 because I have already started a game with 11.3 right after it came out. Again, I am running FM2011 through Steam on a Mac. Any help sorting out the issue would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I download FM2011 today via Steam and I've yet to get it to work.

When I click on the shortcut, fm.exe in the folder (or through steam) It won't show. In the processes it says it's running.

I've tried various things on the forums to get it to work including:

reinstalling

changing the target name of the shortcut

changing the name of the .blob file

verifying integrity of game cache through steam

updating directx

I have a samsung netbook with xp.

Please please please can someone help me with something that will actually work.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous!

Been playing FM11 since it came out and now Steam cannot connect me due to it's server or my internet connection.

My internet connection is fine, all it does now is sit there updating steam but not getting past 21%

I can't even go into offline mode as I can't even access my account.

• 1 month later...

I was playing fm11 this afternoon and it came up with this msg.

Not well informed (invalid token) at line 1 of floating radar panel state changed

what does this mean?

Im doing quite well with the club im being plz help

thanks

donny gemma

I was playing fm11 this afternoon and it came up with this msg.

Not well informed (invalid token) at line 1 of floating radar panel state changed

what does this mean?

Im doing quite well with the club im being plz help

thanks

donny gemma

Are you using a 3rd party skin or anything ?

if your over 16 and good looking i'll pop to donny and help out im only 20 mins away im taking it your a girl :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
why after i update fm2011 using 11.3 patch..there's an error occur "no language data" can anybody help???

did you download the patch and installed it manually? if so you need to uninstall fm and install again there is no need to update manually with steam

To do so go to library and right click Fm 2011 and select delete local content , restart steam and right click on fm and select install game

Archived