The CSE Magazine/Fanzine discussion thread

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EDIT: Just had a brainwave that perhaps this idea and the 'CSE User of the Month' award together could be a good combination. So we talk about what the User has done well that month, and then talk about their history etc.

Kind of like a "Iacovone This is your Life" type article...hmmm that could be fun and I have a few choice quotes for you haha.

Disclaimer: by no means does using Iacovone's name mean I want to see an article about him.

BrainWave!!!

An "Agony Aunt/Uncle" section where users write in and ask for help solving their game related problems. You have 2 or 3 really experienced players pick and answer them. Ok, its more of a Help and Guidance section but you get the idea...

yes, that's actually a very good, original idea that could work. Would obviously depend on the response it gets from the 'readers', but would work if we got a decent interest in it.

We should have a 'Lonely Hearts' column :p

think that would work well on either the humor page, or a seperate page for lonely hearts/general 'banter/non serious' adds could be placed on :p

To add to that it might be an idea to hear from someone who has completed one of the challenges to talk us through it, and go through there strategies, and how they tackled the challenge. I suppose that could tie in with the save game idea.

Another thought is to have monthly guides for things such as how to layout a sign-up (opening posts, or the actual updates) or how to go about setting up your own challenge, sign-up or experiment. Sort of a mini guide per month, which could be then put together over time to produce quite a substantial guide to all things CSE.

To add to my own quote, the thing about building a guide, I was thinking in terms of like a 'collectible'. So one month would just soley be a brief guide on how to produce an interesting idea, and then next month would contain a brief guide about setting up test runs, and so on. I hope that makes sense. It does to me :D

Guest roberto922

I'd like to put my name forward for the introduction if you don't mind me doing it, quite enjoyed writing it just now doing the draft for my cover idea

Guest roberto922

I think in a bit we should put a vote up on this thread with the 10 best magazine names :thup:

Hmm, as we're brainstorming, how about having a section for reviews of Challanges/Experiments/Sign-Ups and/or an update section where someone who's running a long term experiment can give brief updates on how things are progressing.

Justification being not everyone has the time to really trawl/investigate everything thats going on and this publication should be reflection of whats on offer, evne if its in bitesize pieces.

thoughts?

Could I suggest that you make everything on Word and then convert it to PDF? I've tried converting the cover from Publisher to Word but it looks a mess whereas it looks ok on PDF, anyway heres the link to the first draft of my version of the cover:

http://files.filefront.com/Possible+CSE+Magazine+Cov2pdf/;13728830;/fileinfo.html

Looking good.

Guest roberto922

Any feedback? What looks good, what looks bad and what I could add or take away?

Guest roberto922

last of the night, just added some text to fill out and make it look a bit more like it would for a real issue, also we have a warning against selling it coz we're just so :cool:

;)

(aka I needed to fill up the space, something else will be there for the proper issue

okay :thup:

There's about 2 months until schedule for the first release, so obviously if anyone else wants to do a design to they are more than welcome to, seems a bit unfair assigning the role to just one person within 24 hours. Think the design like most things, will be down to a majority of 'staff' vote decision.

I quite like the name the CSE monthly and love the idea about having a CSE USer: This is your life! type thing.

USer of the month is a pretty good idea as well and having birthdays would be a very nice addition!

I'm still more than happy to do my monthly article of some sort and would also be willing to do a culture article on the wonderful nation of Australia at some point!

Personally on the "things we should talk about" front I reckon we should cover CSE (obviously) and some general FM stuff.

Having thought about it for a while, I don't think we should cover real football too much ( unless it links to FM in some way) as it will then turn into a football magazine.

Thoughts?

I think it's best to find the best mix. Whilst obviously the focus is CSE and general FM stuff, I don't think we should totally ignore real life issues/football itself, however I understand what you mean and don't think we should have too much about things that aren't to do with the game.

yeah, I think looking at the content ideas we've had so far we wouldn't be devoting that much time to it anyway, however I think that articles from 'overseas based' users about their league, and Country's relationship with Football could be quite interesting.

I've been semi prioritizing the bullet points on the list, and I think that the most important is the content in the magazine. Obviously who is going to be writing/producing the content is very important to. I think that it's more of a case of the 'writers' going away and producing an article they want to write about, rather than someone telling them to write about something specific and as long as we don't have very similar articles about the same thing, we should be fine. However I think that we could and should have 'special' magazines which are based on one thing specific. For example the first issue could be a special 'introduction' to the forum with everyone talking about their experiences on here, why they like CSE etc. Then there could be special 'Sign Ups', 'Challenges', 'Experiments' etc ones as well. Any feedback would be welcomed

A lot of fantastic ideas been put forward so far :thup:

As for articles, I'm one for being given something to do and adding my own slant on it. Although I'll be happy to give my views on the Scottish leagues.

How about having a section detailling a legendary player on somebody's save? Super Kyle for example.

I think having specials might be a good idea but we don't want to produce too many of these as it would take away from the actual magazines. I think having an awards special, and maybe an introduction one would be good but like most real magazines it needs to mainly be a monthly issue. However i definitely think the experiences could be a regular column :thup:

A lot of fantastic ideas been put forward so far :thup:

As for articles, I'm one for being given something to do and adding my own slant on it. Although I'll be happy to give my views on the Scottish leagues.

How about having a section detailling a legendary player on somebody's save? Super Kyle for example.

CSE Legends. Great idea. :D

Liu Lijia and Zhu Jinhui last year, Javier this year. :)

And don't forget Wallace and Roberts of course...

How about a Blast from the Past section where we review an older FM/CM game?

Good idea. This could be added to the save games section as people can relive their old saves. I still have screenies from my San Marino attempt which included a draw against England with the original team, no regens :cool:

Good idea. This could be added to the save games section as people can relive their old saves. I still have screenies from my San Marino attempt which included a draw against England with the original team, no regens :cool:

that's actually a very good idea, I'd relish the task for a second season with the FM08 Champions League winning Monkey's side :cool:

How about a section about historic flops and legends. I.E. Those players who were predicted to be awsome in a version of the game and went on to achieve things in real life but also those who were predicted for greatness but never lived up to the hype. Can profile one of each per issue and invite readers to submit their recomendations. Could even invite a vote of some sort and mantain top 5 success and top 5 flop tables.

For those of you who have seen my little experiment/sign-up it should be clear I highly rate audiance participation. If you can get the audiance to engage, you will be garanteed some sort of popularity and then success.

Thoughts?

Archived