The CSE Magazine/Fanzine discussion thread

Good idea AdzH, and IMO would not be too hard to implement.

Paul, any idea when we are going to decide what articles to each write/delegation etc?

Because I think that the introductary brainstorm is over.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how it will work. I don't want it to become a 'each user picks one thing from the list of ideas and only he/she is allowed to write/do that idea' as that would be really stupid and simply wouldn't work. Perhaps if we did a 'spin-off' introductory edition which has lots of welcome stuff and who all of the writers/proof readers are, not to the length of what the real magazines would be like, but just something to explain everything so we don't have to be to conscious about what we put in the first edition regarding introductions etc. Again that's just an idea.

I'm not sure how it will work. I don't want it to become a 'each user picks one thing from the list of ideas and only he/she is allowed to write/do that idea' as that would be really stupid and simply wouldn't work. Perhaps if we did a 'spin-off' introductory edition which has lots of welcome stuff and who all of the writers/proof readers are, not to the length of what the real magazines would be like, but just something to explain everything so we don't have to be to conscious about what we put in the first edition regarding introductions etc. Again that's just an idea.

That sounds good to me. I think it would work well introducing those behind the magazine.

As far as who does what, then I reckon the best way would just to allocate the articles every month for each edition. That way one person isn't just doing the same thing every month, and everyone who wants a chance at writing certain parts gets an opportunity.

I don't think people should by allocated an article.

It should all be by choice.

Presumably the people with monthly columns don't cover the certain ideas in their column.

So what I think we need, is people to step up and say "I'll do this" and then have people getting on with things.

Presumably the people with monthly columns don't cover the certain ideas in their column.

So what I think we need, is people to step up and say "I'll do this" and then have people getting on with things.

That is pretty much the same philosophy I have about it :thup:

I didn't really mean allocate. Choice is good. It was a bad choice of words.

And Paul, I am can definitely put myself forward to do the proof reading now. Finished uni for summer now so plenty of free time :D:thup:

Maybe, if each user chooses 5 things(they only do 1) that they want to do for the first issue. They would be in priority order and so, if two people choose the same thing then, there is a fall back option.

Although, I think that the main writers should let everyone else choose their column for the first issue and then, they can take the scraps as, they will have plenty of opportunities to do every type of article.

Maybe, if each user chooses 5 things(they only do 1) that they want to do for the first issue. They would be in priority order and so, if two people choose the same thing then, there is a fall back option.

Although, I think that the main writers should let everyone else choose their column for the first issue and then, they can take the scraps as, they will have plenty of opportunities to do every type of article.

but then that kind of makes it seem like we have a list of things we need to/have to do, which isn't the case, we don't have to do everything that's in the OP, nor is everyone restricted to just doing stuff mentioned in the OP.

Good point. If we have a list of what people are doing, though we won't have people doing the same thing twice.

So, if we go by the list and the rules already talked about, it will look like this at the moment:

Users and what they are writing/working on

Blanco - Idiot's guide to small to big club challenge

Does that seem fair and reasonable to everyone?

seems good to me.

Weeman27bob - Monthly column ( What we can learn about real football from FM).

I'd also like to do the history of an established user if that's ok?

Minisav - Article on CSE contributions

I'd like to do an article on what can be done to contribute to CSE :thup:

seems good to me.

I'd also like to do the history of an established user if that's ok?

I presume you mean one of those 'this is your life' sort of things, if so then sounds good.

I'd like to do an article on what can be done to contribute to CSE :thup:

could you expand on that a bit, I'm not really sure what you mean. I have ideas of what you mean, but it would probably be best if you explained it a little more to us.

I presume you mean one of those 'this is your life' sort of things, if so then sounds good.

could you expand on that a bit, I'm not really sure what you mean. I have ideas of what you mean, but it would probably be best if you explained it a little more to us.

That's what I meant.

:thup:

How long would you like the article to be, roughly?

I don't think there will be a limit upwards because we could put it across one/two pages if it was that excessively long, but I think it's got to be at least a fairly substantial length otherwise it will look a bit silly. I know I'm not really helping you out with that, but obviously I don't know what the final font/size of the text will be so can't give you an exact figure.

rancer890 - Culture article (Canada), MLS, and maybe the Asian leagues as well

I think I'll generally doing practically all of the 'gathering everything together', which will probably mean I'll write up the little bits like the Adverts, summary of the Monthly User of the Month after 'staff' have voted on it, and I will probably end up doing the bits that nobody else wants to/can do. I'm not yet decided on what my monthly article will be about yet though, I don't want to say I'm going to something this early on and then change my mind later.

]Users and what they are writing/working on

super_lampard - working out users birthdays via profiles, and looking into the BOTU stuff

Thinking back to the introduction idea, would it make sense to give everyone some sort of a template to fill in.

e.g Username, age, team supported, 100 words about yourself etc?

Isnt that basically what people could/should have on there user profiles on here anyway? To save the repetition can it not just be drawn from that just like it will be done for Monthly Birthday lists?

I think I'll generally doing practically all of the 'gathering everything together', which will probably mean I'll write up the little bits like the Adverts, summary of the Monthly User of the Month after 'staff' have voted on it, and I will probably end up doing the bits that nobody else wants to/can do. I'm not yet decided on what my monthly article will be about yet though, I don't want to say I'm going to something this early on and then change my mind later.

As I stated in the PM I sent, I am happy to do some editorial work, regarding layout and content etc as well as proof reading. I have a rough idea for an ongoing piece I will submit, just need to flesh it out a bit more before I confirm.

Good to see the momentum building with this.

Isnt that basically what people could/should have on there user profiles on here anyway? To save the repetition can I not just be drawn from that just like it will be done for Monthly Birthday lists?

Yes :D

Although we could do it in more detail. In my view that's the best way to do an introduction.

Yes :D

Although we could do it in more detail. In my view that's the best way to do an introduction.

Fair point well made. PRehaps should concentrate on the Staff/main contributers then of the publication for starters then?

super_lampard - working out users birthdays via profiles, and looking into the BOTU stuff

LLR - A Look at the Leagues

Ok so added myself to the list, don't know what people think about the idea, but basically what I was thinking is that I write a small column each month where I look into a slightly more obscure playable league in the game. I would do a small write-up about the league, the teams, the rules and a couple of random facts. For me it is a way of possibly encouraging people to base challenges or sign-ups in a different part of the world. Up to you guys if you like the idea or not, but I just had a few thoughts build over the last week or so.

I think it sounds good LLR. :thup:

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I think it would be a good idea to have a quick overview of who have completed the various challenges, and with what club, and possibly the year they completed it (in game year). I realise there is a thread about this, and so it should just be a quick overview.

Just thinking about this, I wouldn't mind compiling a quiz or two, perhaps have one football/sports quiz, and one General knowledge quiz.

People could send me their answers and we can announce the winner in the next issue.

What do people think?

Edit - No google allowed :p

As I stated in the PM I sent, I am happy to do some editorial work, regarding layout and content etc as well as proof reading. I have a rough idea for an ongoing piece I will submit, just need to flesh it out a bit more before I confirm.

Good to see the momentum building with this.

would you mind doing some draft layout/front page sort of thing, Roberto's done one but I haven't heard from him in here for a few days, and it would be interesting to see if you've got anything a bit different etc. :thup:

would you mind doing some draft layout/front page sort of thing, Roberto's done one but I haven't heard from him in here for a few days, and it would be interesting to see if you've got anything a bit different etc. :thup:

Could try, although I dont think ive got the right software. Will confirm when I get home.

Guest roberto922

Yeah it's better to have a few people doing it and then pick your favourite

AdZH - Publisher or something similiar like Serif are the best to use but you can use Word

Yeah it's better to have a few people doing it and then pick your favourite

AdZH - Publisher or something similiar like Serif are the best to use but you can use Word

Aye, but as my Desktop died a grusome and horrid death I will be at the mercy of what I have and can get on/for my Lappy and i know full well I dont have MSworks on there. Like I said, will assess the situation better when get home from work. :)

Alright, will see what I can rustle up. But don't expect results before the weekend, I have a busy couple of days ahead and a Summary to write up for my Sign-up/Experiment thingy.

LLR - A Look at the Leagues

Robert_296 - User of the Month (maybe)

I'll just pencil myself in for the user of the month.

how's everyone getting on with their pieces?

I'm with Des. I'll start writing mid-week or so. Probably only a culture article on Canada and an MLS article (and I wrote MLS article on FM Wiki, so the ideas are there). Not sure how to start the Canada article though...if I'm short on ideas, I'll just write the MLS article. Don't blame me if the article is too long. :D

And why did roberto get banned again. :p

Apollogies all, been sick as a dog since Friday and have a hellish week at work comming up. Unless something short of a miricle happens I wont be able to produce an alternate lay-out as previously requested. I have my draft idea scwraled out through and will do something as soon as I get the time.

My main section will be a 'what if' experiment section, where I will answer many questions by editing together databases in FM and run them for a season or two. Not sure if any of you highly creative souls could come up with a more creative title which would make sure people wouldn't confuse it with Kip's experiment, would probably work better if someone did.

Archived