The FM08 Career Thread

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Craig Douglas, after being out of work for over 1 year, finally gets a job offer.

Before we begin....

Manager Info - Semi-Pro Reputation.

Craig Douglas - Manager Profile

Nocerina offer Douglas job

Team Info

Intro - A brave move taking on this club. Nocerina are of the Italian Serie C2/B, after seemingly appearing from no where. (They have no history for 2007/08 season, but were in Serie C2/C the year before that.

Home to a massive squad of 12 players, Douglas will have himself a tough time achieving anything set by the board.

Let the games begin icon_smile.gif

Good luck NepentheZ! icon14.gif

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by iacovone:

Good luck Nep, I'll be restarting mine tomorrow with 'semi-pro' just to keep it on a level playing field! Good luck at Nocerinav icon14.gif

Best of luck Nep icon14.gif

I've decided to reset my profile to "Semi-Pro" too. I am currently holidaying until i get offered a job.........lets see what happens icon14.gif

I've actually gone to work now and left my game running. The way i've done it is to set my manager on holiday until i get offered a job!

My profile is as a semi-pro manager and i will take the first job that i am offered!

The anticipation is killing me......i won't know who i am managing until about 5pm tonight!!! icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by OugaBagga:

I have just started a game woth all the leagues from all the countries

I started with sunday league footballer rep

I started unemployed

and I have just accepted a job offer from

KB Karlskoga in Sweeden

Man you must have one hell of a computer!

Best of luck icon14.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OugaBagga:

I have just started a game woth all the leagues from all the countries

I started with sunday league footballer rep

I started unemployed

and I have just accepted a job offer from

KB Karlskoga in Sweeden

thanks it takes ages to process but I am playing final fantasy 10 on Ps2 at the same time icon_wink.gif

Man you must have one hell of a computer!

Best of luck icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonzii:

Hi Birdy, I started doing Peter G's unemployment challenge but that didn't really go anywhere. Would I be ok to update my progress in here?

I started unemployed with all leagues from England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy with automatic reputation, currently on my 4th season.

Cheers

That's fine, go ahead. icon14.gif (I know I'm not Birdy but I did help to put this idea together) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, I'll update my progress so far.

Jonzii - Season 07/08 Burghausen

My Profile

Got pretty much straight into a job with Burghausen in the German lower leagues.

Looked a decent team on paper and predicted to finish 4th, but could never string any sort of run together.

Didn't see the season out, sitting around mid table most of the season and my finances were shocking so by March '08 I was shown the door.

March '08 - Burgos C.F.

Straight back into management with Spanish Segunda B2 team Burgos C.F..

Sitting 7th in the League when I took over. They were predicted to finish 1st this season so could be on to a winner here.

Jonzii - Season 07/08 End Of Season - Burgos C.F.

League Table

Squad

Nearly made the playoffs, and just missed out icon_mad.gif In fact it went down to the last day. Sat in 6th place 2 points behind 4th, I had to win and the two teams above me needed to lose. Well they both lost but I could only draw at home after leading twice, Gutted!

Oh well, if we can keep our form since I took over we should be up there next season, although on paper my squad seems quite weak.

decided to load up a career game with following leagues:

belgium - top 2

england - top 3

france - top 2

germany - top 2

portugal - top 2

spain - top 2

italy - top 2

gave myself semi-pro status, like Nepenthez, and not having too low down in countries (computer isn't amazing...)

first job offered is Ukraine!! icon_eek.gif should i take it??

2nd Season

Meppen, German Regional Division West

I took Meppen over after just 1 game, they were sitting bottom and had succumbed to a 4-0 defeat to poor opposition. Looking to strengthen the squad right across all positions, i struggled to find many players better than what i had already had. Mainly due to no transfer budget and no wage budget, all players had to be paid nothing to play, eventually after a string of results, lifting me out of the relegation zone, a few more players wanted to come,i targeted players from Uruguay, the nation i managed in last season. With no strong bound contracts my players could come and leave as they pleased, thankfully losing most of the poorer players throughout the season and myself bringing in a number of attribute specific players to help fill in the squad. I managed to pick up this player to my surprise, he was on £200 a week previously.

After strengthening the squad i managed to pick up more and more results to my surprise and i climbed the table to mid table where i ended. Table

No really outstanding players, it was a team effort this season, goals coming from all over the pitch. Squad/Stats

My finances improved vastly, mainly due to having to pay no wages at all and having a 16500 capacity stadium. Finances

Depending on how i improve the squad and the money i get, will determine how long i stay with this club.

Haven't had much time to play over the last couple of days, and when I have played, I've just "bombed" through.

First Games....

Paganese 2 - 3 Nocerina

Nocerina 0 - 1 Martina

Nocerina 1 - 3 Gubbio

Spal 1 - 0 Nocerina

Torres 2 - 1 Nocerina

5 Games - 1 Win, 4 Losses. icon_frown.gif

My team is so poor. And although there are hundreds of players interested in my club, they are all just as bad. I fear the worst with this team, but I will try my hardest, no less.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Its not looking good. I'm getting my a$$ handed to me every game. Rarely even get a shot off. Can't do anything about it.! I've got about 10 players, who look out of this world for my club in Jan, but I don't know if im still in charge then.!

I'm sure you will be; keep the faith icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ToMexico!!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

first job offered is Ukraine!! icon_eek.gif should i take it??

not really that realistic is it, taking a national job to start your career, but up to you mate... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought that... plus if i didn't meet their expectations, my career would be over before it began!! am going to reject and see which clubs want me. i was just applying for pretty much everything and they came back to me. was shock more than anything!!

it does happen though IRL - think van basten, staunton for example...

Rlipscombe Do you have a preference as to where you start managing?

I didn't want to start in the UK even though i was offered a couple in England and 1 in Scotland. Holland had far greater appeal!

Ironically my FC Eindhoven team have no parent or feeder club! I wonder whether PSV will come up as a viable option for a parent club icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

Rlipscombe Do you have a preference as to where you start managing?

I didn't want to start in the UK even though i was offered a couple in England and 1 in Scotland. Holland had far greater appeal!

Ironically my FC Eindhoven team have no parent or feeder club! I wonder whether PSV will come up as a viable option for a parent club icon_wink.gif

no, not really... suppose england is what i know, but from doing Gundo's challenge etc i do like managing abroad... i am quite drawn to portugal or something like that, somewhere a bit different.

however, i'm not that choosy and will take pretty much whatever i can get, as long as i feel it's of benefit to my career of course... icon_wink.gif

So Nep are you still in the job?!

Holidaying mine now, so should get some good FM in for the next few hours. icon14.gif

Yea I've still got a job. 2 months until the recruits are in. I'm not doing well in the league, with 2 Wins and 3 Draws along side my 5 losses. I sit in the relegation play-off zone by goal difference.

The thing that gets me is, I'm favorite for nearly every game, yet I'm getting battered. The oppo regularly has 60-65% possession, and the Goals to Shots seems to have gone from one extreme to the other. Usually about 8-9 shots in total by both teams, and almost every shot on target goes in.!

My Knockbreda Tactic was failing me, so I'm developing a new tactic for Nocerina, but my players are just so poor its embarrassing .

Well I have my first job...

Loris da Souza del Giacomo is the new manager of Stranraer in the Scottish 3rd Division.

Let the games begin icon_biggrin.gif

good luck? starting in the depths of Scotland... it's a bleak place to start! icon_wink.gif

one question for you career-ers - do you holiday until you are offered a job, holiday for, say a month at a time, or play through the game keeping an eye on the job pages??

not sure which tactic to take - obviously holidaying until an offer comes in is easy, but i don't really want to miss interesting jobs. what do you do?

I just holiday through wth 'apply for jobs at a higher rep club' ticked. This usually means you'll apply for every job going, especially early on.

right!! that explains a few things!! i wondered what that tick box meant... icon_rolleyes.gif i'll do that then i think.

cheers! icon14.gif

icon_smile.gif I've decided to start a career with the top leagues from the following countries running -

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>England <LI>Italy <LI>Spain <LI>Australia <LI>U.S.A <LI>France

I have also loaded up leagues to the lowest possible for the following countries -

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Brazil <LI>N.Ireland <LI>Russia <LI>South Africa <LI>Sweden

I set my reputation at automatic and am now applying for any available job....there are quite a few so I'm excited to see who wants me first! I plan on working my way up through the leagues and will attempt to win titles in as many countries as I can. More than likely I shall fail. icon_biggrin.gif Will post my profile when I get a job.

I'm new to this so if the list of countries didn't work I am not to blame. *laughs*

Originally posted by evry1sfavedave:

Skene - Second Division WG

Got my first job in the lowly Swedish divisions! However, me being stupid I didn't check the league before accepting the job and have just found out that it is halfway through the season and we are one place off bottom....

Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

League Table

Hopefully that will have worked too....

good luck! icon14.gif

i've managed to improve my current meppen side vastly with the nil wage and transfer budgets, sitting 5th at the moment after 9 games.

still somehow attracting players previously being paid to play and from team with a higher rep and better squads....strange but i'm not complaining..

Jonzii - Season 08/09

Burgos C.F. - Segunda Division B2

League Table

Was really feeling confident about this season. The performances since I took over last season suggest that we had a good chance of getting into the playoffs.

After a poor start to the season we managed to recover and spent the second half of the season drifting between 2nd and 4th place. Ended up finishing 4th in the final playoff spot, with confidence high in the squad I felt we had a real chance of promotion.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3255/burgosvbadalonaoverviewfw1.png

First up in the playoff was Badalona. They were the winners of Segunda B3 so i was expecting a really tough tie. Sure enough the 1st leg was a tough encounter especially seeing as I was at home, ending up in a draw which was probably a fair result.

Playoff Semi Final Leg2

Didnt really hold much hope for the 2nd leg, thought it may be a step too far. However, we suprisingly dominated the game but kept missing chances. Both teams had a man sent off just before half time and we went in at 1-1.

Start of the second half, just 1 minute in and Badalona scored to make it 2-1. We dominated the rest of the game, but were still 2-1 down moving into the 83rd minute. Somehow we manage to grab 2 goals in the last 7 mins and we are through to the final. icon_smile.gif

Playoff Final Leg1

So on to the final where we met Tavalera, they only finished 3rd in their league and I was sure we would be too good for them. Was aiming for at least a draw on the away leg but we hammered them for the whole game running out 4-1 winners.

Playoff Final Leg 2

This game was always going to be a formality after the 1st leg, and so it proved with us running out 3-0 winners.

Liga BBVA here we come!! icon_smile.gif

Sadly my career is not going so well. 2 wins and 6 losses in my 8 games in charge and we're relegated, I have resigned before the end of the season to beat the sack.... icon_frown.gif

Onto the next victims! I'm hopefully going to find a job in a country other than Sweden now for a change of scenery.

Originally posted by 442to445:

Right, someone just clarify for me: as many leagues as I feel comfortable running and what level of experience?

depends how many leagues you play within a country. if you only have top league or two, automatic or sunday league ain't great as you'll struggle for jobs. i think a few of us have gone semi-pro....

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

Right, someone just clarify for me: as many leagues as I feel comfortable running and what level of experience?

depends how many leagues you play within a country. if you only have top league or two, automatic or sunday league ain't great as you'll struggle for jobs. i think a few of us have gone semi-pro.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amateurs! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Jonzii - Season 09/10

Burgos C.F. - Liga BBVA

League Table

Squad

Transfer History

There was no way my current squad was going to be able to compete in Liga BBVA, I desperately needed to bring in some quality but with 200k to spend I was praying that there would be some decent free transfers out there.

Turns out my prayers were answered, quite a few decent players from the french league were available on frees ans most importantly they were interested in joining us. So I snapped a few of the better ones up, they were all considered to be leading starts for Liga BBVA sides.

After a couple of other signings at the back my team looked loads stronger than before, however with the wages I was paying these decent players my finances were getting pretty bad.

These are some of the new players.

Souleymane Camara Simon Feindouno

Eric Marester

Cedric Fabien

Now for the season. Started off poorly, losing my first game quite convincingly at home to Tenerife. But then we went on a 9 game unbeaten run, which pushed us up into the top 5.

The next 2 games both ended in defeat, but my tactics were now begining to work and make sense which then led to a 18, yes 18 match unbeaten run icon_biggrin.gif putting us firmly in the top 3. Things seemed to be going far too well but the new players I had signed were awesome and were really doing the business for me.

Then came the new patch icon_mad.gif 1st game we played, away to Cadiz who were also hovering around the top 5 saw us get a complete mauling 6-0 which led to a few more awful performances, my once bulletproof tactic was now at best average. icon_frown.gif

For the rest of the season we struggled with consistency but still managed to stay around the top 5. With 6 games to go we were in 5th, 2 points from a promotion place, somehow we managed 3 wins and draw which took us down to the last day of the season.

Sitting in 3rd going into the last game, our fate was in our hands. All we needed was a draw at home to Sevilla Athletico who were bottom of the league, we dominated them and won 3-1.

La Liga here we come icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Unbeleivably we had achieved successive promotions, we seriously overachieved due to my tactics being sorted for 2 thirds of the season but struggled a few times after the patch. La Liga will be fun but I would be very suprised if we get anywhere near avoiding relegation.

Watch out Barca/Real!!! icon_smile.gif

Archived