The FM08 Career Thread

Okay so started unemployed and applied for all available jobs even international ones that were available. Next day Vanuatu offered me the position as international mgr...can we do international or is it prefered club??? I am using FM08 latest patch and rep is Automatic.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i started with my crappy 'unproven' tags, with a ton of leagues to choose from. When i started the game, there were 19 jobs available. So, i applied for all of them.

jobs

I then got offered jobs by a whole load of them to my surprise. So, i checked the teams stats and checked out the budget, and i took the job over at Burghausen, who are in the German Regional Division South. predicted first and have a reasonable transfer and wage budget. £205,000 tb and 31.5k wb.

offer accepted

Now to play, and work my way upwards. tell you how i do later

Originally posted by M0nk3yFac3:

i started with my crappy 'unproven' tags, with a ton of leagues to choose from. When i started the game, there were 19 jobs available. So, i applied for all of them.

jobs

I then got offered jobs by a whole load of them to my surprise. So, i checked the teams stats and checked out the budget, and i took the job over at Burghausen, who are in the German Regional Division South. predicted first and have a reasonable transfer and wage budget. £205,000 tb and 31.5k wb.

offer accepted

Good choice! I started at Burghausen, their team is easily good enough for promotion in the first season. Saying that I never got out of mid table and got sacked . icon_smile.gif

Jonzii - Season 2011/12

Bosnia and Herzegovina

After playing only 3 games I quickly came to the decision that taking this job probably wasn't the best idea, so after just 4 months in charge I decided to resign.

This led to 4 months out of the games for me, brought to an end in the middle of February by My new job.

Wasn't to sure about going back into International management again but Cameroon are a far better team than Bosnia. They are currently ranked 15th in the world and qualifying for WC 2014 should be straight forward, probably the most difficult team in my group will be Tunisia, the others being Kenya, Lesotho, Namibia and Zambia.

Less than a month later and I was back into club management too. Darren ferguson left 10th place Championship club Peterborough to take over at Cardiff who were bottom of the league at the time icon_confused.gif which opened the door for me to take over at peterborough.

Took over with 9 games left, 6 points off the playoffs. We lost our first game 2-0 at home to Birmingham, who were chasing a playoff place too, so I didn't hold up much hope of getting close to them. However, we went on to win 6 and draw one of our next 7 games leaving us sitting in 5th place going into the last game of the season, which was away to top of the table Wolves.

If any of the two teams behind me, Birmingham or Southampton were to win then I would also have to win at Wolves which I couldn't really see happening.

We were never in the game at Wolves and ended up losing 3-0, so it would all go down to what Birmingham and Southampton we doing. Unfortunately Southampton ran out comfortable 3-1 winners against 18th place Millwall leaving us bck in 7th, just one point off the playoff places. Oh well maybe next year.

Peterborough

League Table

Squad

Cameroon

Squad

WC Qualifying Group

My career so far.

Originally posted by Jonzii:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M0nk3yFac3:

jobs

offer accepted

Good choice! I started at Burghausen, their team is easily good enough for promotion in the first season. Saying that I never got out of mid table and got sacked . icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, yeah, played all my friendlies and won them all icon_smile.gif. a few games in to the season and im top by 2 points.

Excellent thread guys. For me career games is the best way to play and most challenging.

Up until the patch I had a career game with all North & South American leagues running and spend a good few years in the Uruguayan leagues but was unable to get one of the big clubs.

Now I'm really going to go into the unknown. I'm going to try and run a game with all the Asian leagues going with an amateur reputation. I'll post who/where I am once I'm sorted!

Originally posted by M0nk3yFac3:

3 hours later, and iv finished the first season. and with me only get one transfer, a defender, i didnt actually feel i was going to win as my strikers looked kinda poor. but the league went well, and i came top by 5 points

Nice one icon14.gif

thanks. well, iv barely played today, to much work. however, id like to say im now regional reputation, woo. i plan on leaving them next season for a bigger club if possible, if not, il stay another year. also, i loaned out M.Fenin, great striker according to stats, now lets play some fussball!

Been really busy lately guys but just to let you know I got Val di Sangro promoted in my first season there to Serie C1. Building quite a rep as a playoffs master especially after my last job at Stranraer where the same was achieved!

I'll try and do a screenshot update when I've got some more spare time icon14.gif KUTGW everyone icon_smile.gif

I will be starting out a new career here in a little bit.

I am loading all the available leagues from all countries, will be slow but fun.

Starting rep will be sunday leaguer and will try to take the first job I am offered, post screenies as soon as I am ready.

peace

Eric Frontz Profile

Waited about two weeks, no offers so I decided to apply to every club that was available, some 122 teams. Decided to take the team offering the most money on the first day. (maybe a little creed in the mix, but a guy has to make a living right?).

The winner of my immense managerial expertise:

Tibro, my first job

I will try to update on a monthly basis but as I said, I am running every available league so this will not be a quick thing.

See ya for the first update.

Peace

well, since starting this the other day, i started out as Burghausen, getting promoted the first season by a few points. all was going well. now im half way through the second season and lying at the top of the table. maybe 2 consecutive promotions in the bag. winning by 8 points and M.Fenin is doing some awsome work

I am really sad about my first season at Eindhoven, I feel I owe it to myself and the club to stay for the second season and leave them in a better state.

Anyone else had problems with thier old formations with 8.02.

Even though I think not making my defence stronger was my main problem.

Just don't understand how the board can be happy with me.

good work M0nk3yFac3 seems like you're doing well. Any other job offers?

Jonfun1980 - I've had similar probs with my tactic since 8.02. Its simply not as effective anymore, needed a few tweaks to get it remotely useful! So did you stay at Eindhoven?

Nice work M0nk3yFac3 icon14.gif

Jonfun1980, switching to 8.0.2 nearly killed my season when I was with Burgos, was conceding loads and was just so inconsistant. Eventually I decided to rebuild my tactics from scratch and seem to be back on track now.

i never downloaded the new update, couldnt be bothered but there seems to be a few people disliking the update. i just cant be bothered to donwload it until iv finished my on going career.

Well, i literally just finished the season. And whats really wierd is, i only just noticed is that when i got promoted from the German Regional Division South, I went up to the German Second Division. This means that i missed out the German Third Division. Now what is wierd is, the fact that i never remember there being this extra league, and acording to the game there were not past winners in the third division in the 07/08 year, yet every other league there is. aw well, either way i missed out a league and jumped up to the second league after being promoted in the 07/08 year.

Now where was I, o yea, 2nd season in and I came third, which is a promotion place. only 5 points from first, but 1 point from 4th! it went all the way down to the last game in which i won, 2v1, scoring in the 87th minute!

Here i come german first division. Only problem is, im scared that im going to fail. and if i get through about 10 games and im bottem, il leave and find another club.

hope that all made sence.

double post-sorry. Well, i played an hour more, played 6 games of the season and i was currently 2 places from the bottem having only won 1. So, i hit resign from managerial position and went job searching. dun dun duhhhhhh!

My new club is *drum role please*

^_^ not got one yet ^_^

il tell u on sunday where i am

Having not had much time on FM recently, my update has been long awaited!

I am currently managing the mighty Pars (Dunfermline) in sunny Scotland. This followed a pretty successful start to management in Eindhoven.

There were only 7 games remaining of the season when i took charge and i managed to get them to respectable 5th position in the First Division.

This season things have gone much better and at the midpoint of the season we are first by one point!

I've bought in a few new players and a couple on loan. I've managed to attract Celtic as a parent club to boot icon_wink.gif

I will post screenies over the weekend, certainly when my new recruits appear on Jan 1st. This should strengthen my defence still further!

All the best guys with your careers icon14.gif

Val di Sangro Update

3rd season completed. This was my 2nd with Val di Sangro and our first ever season in C1. We started well but then soon found inconsistency and slipped right down the table. A run of 14 games without a win confirmed we'd be battling to stay up. After the winter break we picked up our form and climbed out of the relegation playoff positions before heading on another poor run. With 3 games to go we needed to win them all to have a hope of avoiding the playoffs to go down...which we did! Amazingly our form came together and we stayed out of the relegation playoff positions by 1 point icon_smile.gif

So not a bad first season, survival is the aim again next year and I'm also open to pastures new icon_wink.gif

This is a really good thread and a great concept.

I like Dafuge and Gondo ones, but I don't think I could stay at one club for that long.

I am thinking due to a lack of regular players in this thread, starting a new one similar to this. But with some goals. So we can work out who is having the best career etc. They don't have to be winning things all the time.

What do you guys think about a new thread?

If so what ideas would you like to see?

My first update is a bad update, lol.

After taking over at TIbro with only 9 games left, I tried to bring in some new players and the four I did were of no help as we promptly lost our first two games by a total of 11-1, so I was very disappointed and after the two losses, were helplessly stuck in dead last and was awaiting the axe.

The season was going to be a wash, I decided to get out while I could and while there were still some outstanding apps in. I have waited almost 3 weeks and have a few offers but all of them are from teams in the same position as Tibro, dead last with no hope of getting out of relegation.

I did get an offer from African Warriors and I did get them to agree to a week delay but most likely, I am going to take that post as their season has not started yet.

A few other very interesting offers have been made but with seasons underway, not sure I could take them and do anything with them to keep them up or improve the positions with only partial seasons left.

Will post screenies of my new post when it finally is accepted.

Peace

Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

This is a really good thread and a great concept.

I like Dafuge and Gondo ones, but I don't think I could stay at one club for that long.

I am thinking due to a lack of regular players in this thread, starting a new one similar to this. But with some goals. So we can work out who is having the best career etc. They don't have to be winning things all the time.

What do you guys think about a new thread?

If so what ideas would you like to see?

Not a bad idea, I thought about doing it myself not too long ago. As for ideas:

1) I would create maybe 3/4 sets of guidline set-ups if you were to start a new thread. By this I mean what leagues to run and detail levels etc. Maybe cater for the FMers that have optimum pc's down to those with fairly basic so at least on some level anyone that likes the idea of a career game can take part and join in with the thread.

2)Possibly keep this like Dafuge and Gundo with regard to End of Season updates. They don't necessarily have to be in depth because obviously we'll be moving clubs a lot, but at least something on an annual basis to keep the other FMers interested in your career.

Thats my 2 cents anyway. I'll be in the new thread if you start it icon14.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

there's some re-structuring done in the german league at the end of the first season to reflect real life changes.

oo, i wondered why. thanks.

As for me quiting, i quit because yes, the board were not very happy, kind of demanding better performances or else id get hung, so i quit... i wanted a new challenge too. Iv not played FM since i quit, been slightly busy with work so when i get back on it, il inform you lot with who im with. probably be another low league club. i wont go to another german club, i want to go somewhere else like... erm... Russia or Israel. Just not germany again, or England yet.

The plan i came up with when i started this was to make a good career, becoming a world class manager, winning the champions league, winning as many cups as possible with many clubs across the world (i loaded nearly every country and league, but not all of them) and then when i got bored of club management, take England to the world cup finals, and obviously winning it.

Il play it on sunday and tell who im with

ooo, russia it is. Avangard Kursk, in the first division. given me a two year contract and hope to finish in a respectable position in the first division at the end of it.

I took over in September, and they are lying 17th after 34 games/42 games. 8 games left, and im very close to being in the relegation zone (1 point). better get winning.

Quick Update

Well season 3 has ended for Val di Sangro and we really pressed on. A poor start was countered by a change in tactics and we went on a great run that culminated in a 7th placed finish. We just fell away towards the end of the season and lost the race for a playoff position.

I've stuck at Val di Sangro as I really believe we can get promotion this year - the season's started well and we're undefeated in 5 games icon14.gif. Come on...!

Leagues loaded in full - Belgium, Bulgaria, Poland, Romania, Scotland. England Loaded to League 2, Sweden to First Div. and Brazil to Second Div.

Started as Falkirk.

Falkirk 07/08

Knowing Falkirk had established themselves as an SPL team, this season was about rooting themselves as a mid-to-upper tabled side. With limited funds both for wages and transfer, i was looking to make the most of what i already had and possibly strengthening in one or two key areas. Looking to take advantage of the reserve players available for transfer, i signed 4 back up players for around 50k, all capable of playing a number of positions. With Falkirk's somewhat low reputation in the SPL attracting many high profile players would be tough, all though signing Seyfo Soley and Vagner Leonardelli for free's would be good coup's. With the sale of Scott Arfield to Watford for 1.4m, i thought i could create a whole new team with that kind of money, until i noticed only 40% of the fee would be made available. With this money i made my most valuable signing; Daryl Murphy for 250k, around 1.75mil below his value. Final Transfers

Looking to play attacking football i adopted my 4-2-3-1 formation from other saves, but soon changed to the familiar 4-4-2 formation. This proved a good move, making 6th spot our own, after a mid season rise to 3rd and fall to 8th. Final Table

So a good start to the season, 2 places above the media prediction.

2nd Season update to follow within the next day or so.

Going to try this with 28 leagues to see just how hot my new computer is. icon_wink.gif

The 28 Leagues:

Argentina (PRM)

Australia (A-League)

Brazil (3rd & up)

England (League 2 & up)

France (CFA & up)

Germany (Bundesliga)

Holland (Eredivisie)

Italy (Serie C2 & up)

Mexico (PRM)

Russia (PRM)

Scotland (PRM)

South Africa (PRM)

South Korea (K-league)

Spain (Liga BBVA & up)

Turkey (PRM)

USA (MLS)

I'm going to start unemployed as a Semi-Pro Footballer and see what happens. I'm giving myself the liberty of German second nationality, as its one of the nations of my ancestry so I have another language. I'm also setting a goal of no more than 3 years with any squad.

I'm starting in June 2007

Archived