FM 09 Official International Management Guide

tcoleman1

just got offered the montenegro job in my first season as man city. Anyone have suggestions for the key players i should look out for apart form vuciinic, vukeciv and jovetic? and any tactic that would work best?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just won the World Cup with Argentina but after entering the competition ranked 2nd we dropped to 3rd in he world despite winning the world cup? Might be because in the entire tournament we only won 3 games with us drawing the other 4 (beat Spain ranked 1st in semi's on penalties and beat Italy ranked 3rd on penalties in the final)?

Hopefully someone on here might be able to help me.

It's my first time managing an international team on FM09 and I'm struggling to see how you can get the scout ratings up on the team screen.

On FM08, you could go to 'scout - main' and 'scout - other' and you could see the star rating given to each player and easily compare them (sort of like you do for a normal team).

On FM09, I have all my players being scouted, but when I go to 'scout - main' and 'scout - other' I cannot see any stars. So, to compare the players I have to click on each player and go to their 'national report'.

I hope this makes sense. Basically, I'm just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug, or perhaps if this just doesn't work the same way on FM09 for whatever reason?

Can anyone help?

C.

Just started a game with Cyprus. Won't be my main save, International management on it's own is too boring but my Cyprus save should be good as a break from Club Football.

I'll be looking to finish 3rd in the Group.

I won my first friendly against Angola :).

Must have been a super GK game from your keeper I'd imagine? ;)

Actually it was clever tactics :D.

I watched the Full Game, all of Italy's chances were from a way out, they only had one shot from inside the box and that was the one they scored. I shut down the inside completely and made it impossible for them to create good chances.

D.Christofi then broke free on a counter attack, crossed it on to K.Makridis who smashed it into the net.

1-1 :D

Cyprus managed to pull off a 1-1 with Germany irl so it's not exactly an unrealistic result. I've got Rep.Ireland coming up soon, Cyprus beat them 5-2 in real life a couple of years ago but I don't think I can match that :D.

The German Manager wasn't sacked was he? :D:D

Although the Ireland Manager got sacked after the 5-2 loss :D

The next game is against Georgia and then Bulgaria. I should beat Georgia comfortably and draw with Bulgaria.

Okay, got the Ghana job after they dropped out of the Group stage of the African Nations Cup, coming up to WC2010.

Group for the WC is France, Spain and Iran - gonna have to draw at least one of the big ones!

Thankfully expectations aren't high, but with players like Mensah, Essien I should have a decent chance...

i also got an african nation as my national job after a poor ANC :D

chose Cameroon over Ghana mainly because of Eto'o and will have a WC2010 Group of Holland, Sweden & Costa Rica so should get through and then iwll probably lose but then get another job

Hi, I'm the manager of Blackburn Rovers but i also took the job of Ivory Coast manager. In World Cup 2010 my group was

Ivory Coast

Mexico

Paraguy

Sweden

I came top of this group winning against Paraguy and Sweden and drawing with Mexico. I then won the second round against Spain. Then i won the Quarter Final against Italy. Amazingly i won the Semi Final against Brazil but in the last minute Drogba got injured. He had scored 7 goals in the tournament before then. Lost 1-0 to Argentina in the Final. Fans and players both love me. Im off to get the France job now.

which goalie did you use? did you have a regen one good enough? If you look away from the goalie position The Ivory Coast have a class team. Just got appointed manager of them ahead of the 2010 WC and is a bit scared how the goalkeeper position is going to handle the oppositions strikers

have signed two young keepers for my Celtic side, and is gonna put them away to Belgium to get a EU nationality, most likely they will never be good enough to play for my Celtic side, but there is a very good chance that will be 300% better that the keeper that The Ivory Coast have at the moment

Im playing as Liverpool and picked up the england job after the 2010 world cup. Easily qualified for Euro champs with 2 draws the only blemishes. Made it through to the final without the need for a penalty shootout the semi against portugal was the closest i came with rooney scoring 2 goals in the second half of extra time before losing 1 - 0 to Spain in the final. Had only the 1 draw in the lead up to world cup 2014 where i was in a group consisting of Japan, Sweden and Egypt wins over Japan and Sweden and a draw with Egypt saw me through as the top qualifier from Group C. In the second round i was drawn against Scotland and a goal in the 105th minute from jack hobbs saw us through 1-0. Mali were next and we dispatched them in a close game 3-2 twice coming from behind before rooney scored to put us in front 10 minutes from time.

The Semi Final was against France and after going a goal down in the 6th minute we dominated the game to go through to the final with a 4-1 win where we would face Brazil who had seen off Germany 2-0 in the other Semi. Brazil were too good in the final with vagner love scoring the only goal in the 64th minute followed by baines being sent off in 75th.

So we went into another round of Qualifiers for the 2016 Euro champs where we won 8 games from 8 scoring an average of 3 goals a game. Group B was to prove the group of death consisting of France, England, Czech Republic and Isreal. We advanced with 2 wins and a draw to portugal in the quaters and a 3-2 win yet again in extra time. We saw off the pre tournament favourites Italy in the Semi 2-1 which set up another final against Spain this time beating them 4-0 and finaly winning England a major Trophy.

Spain offered me the job as manager of their nation after the Final and with a lack of young english players coming through i accepted and we are now 3 games into qualification for the world cup 2018 and sitting equal top of our group with Scotland.

I will update at the end of Qualifying interestingly Bojan is 26 and only had 3 caps before i took over despite making his debut 7 or 8 years beforehand on the game.

Just started a new international carear as the mighty England

palying a flat back 4 with 2 cm and 2 wingers

made a bold decision in picking rhys murphy young under 18 lad

give him some experience with the likes of owen, beckham and ferdinand

i think he will be world class and baladini agrees will keep you posted

pretty easy qualifying group so world cup 2010 here i come :D

Just about to start world cup 2018 as Spain qualified top of group 7 with 9 wins and just 1 loss to Scotland scoring 37 times and conceding only 5 goals. Fernando Torres still in the first team and scoring 8 goals to be our top scorer in qualification.

We are in Group H with Croatia, Iran and Mali hopefully a fairly straight forwardgroup to advance. We are 2-1 favourites along with Brazil, France and Italy to win the competition. Just about to start pre tournament friendly with Poland and Fabregas is out with almost no chance of being fit for the WC :(.

Hi,

I'm managing Scotland and enjoying it, my bro is as well and came before holland first in the league.

Anyway to start off with my squad. Now all in all I probably mix it about between around 35 people for the 25 man squad. Nacho Novo gained citizenship :cool: so he plays for me sometimes. My main starting line up(4-4-2) would probably be.

Gordon

rb - hutton cb - kennedy cb - caldwell lb - Easton

rm - Maloney cm - Fletcher cm - Ferguson lm - Robson

cf - McFadden cf - K Boyd

Now ones I switch around would be:

Don Cowie

Ross McCormack

Christian Dailly

Steven Whittakher

Stephen McManus

Nacho Novo

Richard Hughes

Kevin Thomson

Now Novo and McManus regulary start and Thomson, Cowie and McCormack come on nearly every game as well as Stephen McGinn sometimes.

My results are as follows:

Macedonia(A) - qualifying - Macedonia 1 - 3 Scotland - good result for meand a good expected start

Iceland (A) - qualifying - Iceland 1 - 1 Scotland - DOH they score in last minute not good ah well.

Norway (H) - qualifying - Scotland 1 - 0 Norway - Me changing tactics like a idiot could hae cost us so much but luckily we won.

Argentina (H) - friendly - Scotland 0 - 3 Argentina - Going in confident me changing tactics so many times like a idiot did cost us .

2009(so far)

Egypt (H) - friendly - Scotland 4 - 2 Egypt - Game we deserved to win dodgy defence.

Future

Looking good now against Holland away looking for a draw and it's a must or we're going second. I'm second best Second(does that mean i qualify as 2 best second placed teams). Then pretty clear exept a big game vs Norway which look as if they could overtake me.

So after a 0-0 draw with poland the world cup started and we beat croatia 4-1 after going a goal down after 6 minutes with aquino scoring 2 and torres and iniesta 1 each. Next up were mali and yet again an early goal to the opposition this time after just 1 minute and 32 seconds, and we struggled through to half time a goal down after some criticism at the break the players gave a fantastic performance in the second half to run out 4-1 winners again with torres scoring 2 and zapater and aquino 1 each. The final group match was against Iran and Thankfully we had easily Qualified because the minnows held us to a 0-0 draw.

The secound round we were drawn with turkey and after extra time we managed a 2-0 win to advance with bojan scoring 1 and the other coming from an own goal. This set up a Quarter final match up against England who went ahead in the 35th minute through a theo walcott thunderbolt from outside the area. In the 4th minute of first half injury time Roberto Soldado produced the Equaliser for Spain and the scores stayed at 1-1 for the rest of the game sending us to penalties where by some miracle england managed to slot all 5 penalties to advance after Sergio Ramos missed. The final was played between France and Argentina with a final scoreline in the 90 minutes of 4-6 to Argentina in what would possibly have been the greatest final to watch just for the amount of goals scored.

After the World Cup i took charge of Italy after they had failed to advance past the group stages. We are now 3 games into Qualifying for Euro 2020 with wins in all 3 games against Armenia, Iceland and Scotland. The other team in the group is Belgium. The 2020 championship will be held in Sweden and the 2022 World cup will be held in Argentina.

Some of the non regen players still playing in my Italy side are; GK Emiliano Viviano who starts at Brescia and is First choice atm.

DC Chiellini who everyone knows about, Fabiano Santacroce who starts at Napoli and can also play at RB and Alessio Campoli who starts at Lazio and is only 26 in 2019. Simone Vitale is a LB who starts at Pescara and has fantastic technical and mental stats also at LB is Paolo De Ceglie of Juventus. Dessena, De Rossi, Montolvio and Bolzoni are all fairly well known at the start and are still in the national team. Davide Santon and Mario Balotelli are there as are Rossi and Paloschi and Victor Irineu who starts at Pescara.

Has anyone else found it impossible to get hired by the Australian national team despite being a world class manager? Might it have something to do with my first nationality being English and Australian only being my second?

yeah i have tried to be hired a few times after they sacked their manager but was denied last time i applied for it i applied for the italy job as well and was succesful getting that after Aus declined to employ me haha.

Croatia is an interesting nation to manage and for some reason I got offered the post in two consecutive Arsenal saves. They seem to be perfectly suited for any manager who believes in the 'scoring more than you let in' mantra as they have fabulous attacking players but a critical lack of solid options in defence.

In my first save, I went with a 4-4-2 formation which ultimately cumulated in a semi-final finish in the Euro Cup. Srna and Corluka were my attacking full-backs and Kranjar my playmaker. Vukojevic is a surprisingly good DM which can be bought cheap at club level and Modric and Rakitic were deployed on the wings. For strikers, Eduardo was a solid fixture and was partnered with either Budan or Olic. The only problem was I could not find two solid centrebacks to shore the backline and had to rely on only decent options. However, this team was able to easily outscore most of the minor European teams to seal a berth in the Euro Cup as group runners-up (thrashed 4-1 and 2-0 by group leaders England).

In the Euro Cup itself, I was grouped again with England but they had a surprisingly bad tournament, drawing with me in the first game and subsequently drawing their remaining two games. The highlight of the campaign however was a 2-1 victory over Germany in the quarters to set-up a semi with Spain. That however proved to be one challenge too many and the team eventually was eliminated by a goal in extra-time. Overall, was a fun campaign but it was hard getting used to having such a shaky backline. Fortunately the Euro Cup turned out to be a stepping stone towards managing Italy.

In my second save, I'm again in charge of Croatia but attempting a 4-3-3 formation which I feel will make better use of their depth in midfield options. Unfortunately, this time the CB options are even worse so I'll have to score even more!

In my second save, I'm again in charge of Croatia but attempting a 4-3-3 formation which I feel will make better use of their depth in midfield options. Unfortunately, this time the CB options are even worse so I'll have to score even more!

Haha, not a bad philosophy though. ;)

Liectenstein Career

So, I started my Liectenstein career. Checking out the squad proves my greatest fear. The squad is bad. Very bad. Half of the team is currently unemployed, and the other half aren't worth alot. My best player is Mario Frick : http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/ProLagJoe/?action=view&current=MarioFrick.jpg

Valued at 500k, 33 years old and plays for Siena. He isn't one for the future.

I calculated all of my current strikers caps and goals, and it turns out they have managed to score a HUGE 8 goals in over 117 appearances! It wasn't looking good.

Then I checked my World Cup Qualifiying group : http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/ProLagJoe/?action=view&current=Group4-WCQ.jpg

With Germany and Russia, it was looking like I wasn't going to get second place. Wales and Finland looked like 2 other countries that could probably turn me over quite easily. The only team it looked like I could beat were Azerbaijan. Even then that would be a challenge. Looks like I was in for a tough time.

My friendly against Albania didn't go brilliantly : http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/ProLagJoe/?action=view&current=Alb2-Lie1.jpg

They had a comfortable 2-0 lead by 15 minutes. They had many more chances but didn't finish any. At half time I tinkered with the tactics, playing a more defensive game with counter attacking selected. We then actually got a few shots on target. My young prospect David Hasler, 18, managed to poke one in from 1 yard away. We couldn't get another goal, but not from lack of trying. So, even though we did lose, it was a promising loss. I feel quietly confident. Got Germany in a few days, so will update when the final score comes through. Fingers crossed. :o

Liectenstein Career UPDATE

So, came into the Germany game quietly optimistic. Left the game wishing I hadn't been so optimistic : http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/ProLagJoe/?action=view&current=Lie0-Ger5.jpg

A 5-0 loss, but I honestly didn't think we deserved such a heavy defeat. Ofcourse we're against the 3rd best team in the world, but it was 2 stupid mistakes from my young CB which destroyed us. We were 2-0 down, so I saw no harm in changing the tactics abit. At first the tactics seemed to be working, with us coming as close as hitting the crossbar :eek: . But then, my young CB passed straight to the Germans in our own box, so that was another goal down. Then he did a terrible backpass which gifted them another goal. Needless to say our resistance was destroyed with a final long range effort. All in all, another promising defeat. Yes, we lost 5-0, but we didn't play that terribly bad.

I've got Azerbaijan next, so hopefully we can start getting some points on the board. They just got whipped 4-0 by wales ...

Ivory Coast is a pretty fun job, I got offered the job about 2 months before the 2010 World Cup where I won my group containing Brazil (who got dumped out in last place incidentally), Mexico and Turkey and beat Argentina in the QFs (got lucky in the 2nd knockout round and semi final playing Romania and Switzerland respectively) before losing on penalties to England of all teams in the final (this game is so unrealistic, they actually won a game against the Germans on penalties in the process of getting to the final!)

Liechtenstein Career UPDATE

So, this will be the last update for a bit, as I'm hungry :D

Coming into the Azerbaijan game I was certain of 3 points : http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/ProLagJoe/?action=view&current=Aze1-Lie1.jpg

I would have those 3 points aswell, if it weren't for that cursed young CB. He's not playing for my team ever again! 90 Minutes of pure domination from my Liechtenstein team turns into a underserved and annoying draw. In the 92nd minute, just trying to run down the time, and my CB decided it would be a good idea to pass it to the Azerbaijanians (:eek:) right in our box. He has a knack of doing that it seems. They put away their second chance. Great. 1 point out of what should have been 3. Oh well. Lady Luck, it seems, isn't Liechtensteinian (:eek:).

On a side note, I was just reading the newspaper and it just so happened that the World Cup Qualifiers were listed. Group 4 shows Liech. in real life only having 1 point at the bottom of the table. Even Azerbaijan were above us. So long as I can beat the real life thing, I'll be satisfied. If I manage to win a game I'll be ecstatic!

Dunga is still in charge on mine [2013], even though Brazil has now dropped to 18th in the world rankings. :(

:D

The media recently asked him in real life if he wants to stay until 2014. :(

Hi people, Got offered Ghana job after their manager got sacked and I'm coming into 2nd season now. The problem is all my keepers are old and there aren't anymore! Even regens ! I'm stuck because I'll have to play a outfield player LOL

I'm thinking of starting a game with Armenia, but I have a question: Can I call up players in leagues that aren't loaded, like in the Armenian League, Ararat Yerevan, could I call up players from that club?

Yes, you can. You just won't be able to watch their games, but you can call up them just like you can call up a player in a league you loaded.

Just started a game as manager of New Zealand. They actually have a fairly reasonable squad. It looks like a good challenge.

Ryan nelson is immense and Chris Killen is awesome. Tipping us to make the world cup.

Just started a game as manager of New Zealand. They actually have a fairly reasonable squad. It looks like a good challenge.

Ryan nelson is immense and Chris Killen is awesome. Tipping us to make the world cup.

Have to ask, what leagues did you load?

Andorra,

Despite the 'team' that England faced tonight - Are they any other Andorrian players out there, that anyone can think of?

And on the off chance, which leagues (other than Spain and Portugese) would be good to put in?

I've got a challenge to take control of Andorra and, well do something haha.

Thanks

Archived