I have heard it said that managing Celtic is playing FM on easy mode.....

23 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Interesting, how did you get on vs the teams playing super low blocks and 7 at the back? (3cb, 2dm, 2wb) cause I know that happens from when I used to play as Celtic

Generally no issues.  We scored 2 or more goals in 31 of the 37 games.

Because I changed the attacking width from very narrow to fairly wide (which doesn't show on the screen above, as that's the middle slider option on Positive), we seemed to score a lot of goals from low crosses across the box.

The 4 draws in the league - 3 were against Rangers, the other one was against Kilmarnock.  We actually secured the title at Ibrox as well.  I imagine in real life that may have caused a riot.

Europe was obviously a lot harder, narrowly missing out on progression from the Champions League group (other teams in the group were PSG, Man United and Shatkar - managed one win against Man Utd and a draw against PSG).  

We then beat Atalanta in the Europa knockout playoff, but then faced Liverpool in the round of 16 who beat us 5-3 on aggregate (2-0 to them at home, 3-3 draw away).  

Edited by kevhamster

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm astounded no-one has posted on this thread about 'their nan' yet. 

I do appreciate that winning the SPL with Celtic is not exactly difficult.  I'm just astonished to go undefeated in the league.  Given my record in the game, I've have expected the odd hiccup here and there.  But, outside of European stuff, it was pretty much plain sailing.  Won both domestic cups as well.

2 hours ago, Cmdr Christoff said:

I love that you still get a list of Negatives with a season like that! :lol:

There's always room for improvement. :lol:

That said, I do think a good factor in the success was bringing in a new goalkeeper.  None of the options already there inspired confidence.  Rodak (from Fulham I think) was an absolute bargain at a little over £3m, and he never put a foot wrong.   None of the goals conceded were his fault.    I suffered a mini-mutiny when I sold Joe Hart, but not enough that it actually affected form and after a few weeks any concerns about that had been dropped.

Edited by kevhamster

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I do appreciate that winning the SPL with Celtic is not exactly difficult.  I'm just astonished to go undefeated in the league.  Given my record in the game, I've have expected the odd hiccup here and there.  But, outside of European stuff, it was pretty much plain sailing.  Won both domestic cups as well.

a spooky re-enacting of real world Celtic 2016-2017 who like you won 34, drew 4 for 106 points, plus won both domestic cups. You got 1 more point in CL though, Brendan's Celtic drew with Man City 3-3 at home and 1-1 away, having gone ahead 4 times against a Man City who had won every league game plus an away draw to BMG so 3 good results. lost at home to BMG and twice to Barcelona to finish last.

11 hours ago, kevhamster said:

We actually secured the title at Ibrox as well.  I imagine in real life that may have caused a riot.  

The league have stated to never again allow title deciders between the Old Firm because the Celtic fans couldn't behave themselves in 1999.

A few highlights from the home team include:

• Referee being hit by multiple coins
  • Fans invading the pitch attempting to attack the referee
  • Fans throwing themselves from the top tier of the stand
  • Multiple Celtic players having a meltdown on the pitch

Here's the YT link if you're interested. 

1 hour ago, themoffster said:

The league have stated to never again allow title deciders between the Old Firm because the Celtic fans couldn't behave themselves in 1999.

Celtic won the title against Rangers in 17/18.

The league does try to avoid it happening (that season they purposely made Celtic first split game against Hibs, as Celtic just needed to win 1 more game to win the title really, and got a shock when Hibs won), but its not something they'll actively be able to prevent.

What happened to Kyogo? Did you sell him ? 
Started my Celtic save and it’s going well so far. Rangers have imploded with 4 defeats and two draws after 11 games. I have won all mine apart from a 2-1 defeat at Ibrox. Lost to 89th and 93rd minute corners after going down to 10 men when Hatate broke his leg….

Managed to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the CL and just had an epic 4-4 draw with PSV so have 4 points after 3 games.

Managed to get Kyogo to sign a contract extension.

Do the board give you more money for the January transfer window?

Edited by Damian_Rusling

7 minutes ago, Damian_Rusling said:

What happened to Kyogo? Did you sell him ? 
Started my Celtic save and it’s going well so far. Rangers have imploded with 4 defeats and two draws after 11 games. I have won all mine apart from a 2-1 defeat at Ibrox. Lost to 89th and 93rd minute corners after going down to 10 men when Hatate broke his leg….

Managed to beat Arsenal 2-1 in the CL and just had an epic 4-4 draw with PSV so have 4 points after 3 games.

Maned to get Kyogo to sign a contract extension?

Do the board give you more money for the January transfer window?

He got a 2 month injury at the league split, so was ruled out for the rest of the season. 

He was immense for the first half of the season then kind of tailed off. Still had 29 goals though. 

The board increased the transfer budget by £25m before the January window for me. 

Edited by kevhamster

Scotland is a weird save for FM.

Most saves I've done since first buying FM22, Rangers collapse right out of the gate. and they rarely get it back. During a Kilmarnock save, I actually save scummed for Rangers right before the split when I saw they dropped to #7 and I just couldn't have a realism breaking result like that. They'll have the occasional top class season when they get a wonderkid loan striker from Liverpool or Man City, but usually they're getting bullied.

And prices are way off in the Scotland market. You can easily sell players for multiple millions of pounds while bidding the same for them. In real life, outside of the OF, Hearts, Aberdeen, and Hibs are excited for signings in the mid-6 figures and the occasional player with a 7 figure sell valuation is a big deal. I guess that is way more fun as an FM player than a realistic approach of managing a non-OF Scottish club in European contention but having finances where you run the risk of getting beat to a signing by a midtable League 1 club.

19 hours ago, themoffster said:

A few highlights from the home team include:

• Referee being hit by multiple coins
  • Fans invading the pitch attempting to attack the referee
  • Fans throwing themselves from the top tier of the stand
  • Multiple Celtic players having a meltdown on the pitch

Here's the YT link if you're interested. 

Off topic, but it's kind of sad that this kind of match is never going to be a thing again.  In any other well-marketed league, if you've got two bitter rivals essentially in a title playoff situation in the closing stages of the season, that gets dressed up massively with full, overblown coverage.  Like last year with Arsenal and Man City.  Here the approach is to avoid the match at all costs out of fear (from both sides, mind, let's not pretend like there would've been best behaviour had venues and result been switched).  

Plus, obviously the coin to Dallas is not good at all (some shot though), but if the SPFL continue to do their level best to not market us at all, it'd be nice if there was at least some sizzle put back into the one (supposed) bright spot in the league.

Finding it a wee bit easy too. Beating domestic teams 5 and 6 nil and beat Motherwell 9-1. I also beat PSV 2-1 away and pumped Bayern Munich 4-0 at Celtic Park.  4 of the goals over those games came from opposing players passing straight to Kyogo leaving him with only the keeper to beat. Got to love the high press…..

13 hours ago, Damian_Rusling said:

Finding it a wee bit easy too...

You chose Celtic, who have won 11 of the last 12 league titles and finished +80 in goal differential last year. If you didn't find it easy then FM wouldn't be simulating very well.

3 hours ago, Overmars said:

You chose Celtic, who have won 11 of the last 12 league titles and finished +80 in goal differential last year. If you didn't find it easy then FM wouldn't be simulating very well.

And thats a Celtic who, really, underperform both domestically and in Europe considering their finances.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

And thats a Celtic who, really, underperform both domestically and in Europe considering their finances.

To be fair 12 out of 12 would have been nice :) think Domestically we do as well as could be expected. In Europe we never seem to get that once in a while good run that most teams of our level seem to do. Rangers for example hugely underperform domestically but do better than expected in Europe. 

16 hours ago, vincenzo incendio said:

I've always wanted to do a Celtic save but I want to rebuild them. So I'm waiting for the opportunity when they fall off in a save and I can swoop in and rescue them. lol

You'll probably be waiting a while

On 23/10/2023 at 09:41, kevhamster said:

image.png.ebe4b1c75b21bf23b276c366b1c2f0bf.png

Looks very similar how I played in my four seasons at Celtic (FM22 btw). Never managed to get a unbeaten season. Always lost 1 or 2 matches due to rotating heavily with 4 competitions. :idiot:

Trophy's

• 1x Europa League
  • 4x Scottish Premiere League
  • 2x Scottish Cup
  • 3x Scottish Leage Cup

Honorable mentions

• 2x Quarterfinal Champions League
  • 1x Semifinal Champions League

CelticFC433.png.eb1f5d438aed8d449af77e072d1fa7d5.png