Bizarre Situation: FA Champion and Premier Relegated

Playing QPR, I was FA Champion (and will play at Europa) but likewise relegated from the Premier (18th position) down to the Championship.

Team performance was radically opposite across competitions: brilliancy and coordination in FA, and utter chaos and weakness at Premier, playing with the same formation, mentality and player group...

Now please tell me how bizarre or "normal" this is?...

:seagull:

3 hours ago, dan99 said:

In 2010/11, Birmingham City won the League Cup and were relegated, so it can happen.

My team :( I was there at Wembley when we won the cup then there when we got relegated! Was a fantastic season though in the championship and playing in the Europa league at the same time! It has been downhill very fast ever since, now we are a shambles!

3 saat önce, phd_angel said:

Playing QPR, I was FA Champion (and will play at Europa) but likewise relegated from the Premier (18th position) down to the Championship.

Team performance was radically opposite across competitions: brilliancy and coordination in FA, and utter chaos and weakness at Premier, playing with the same formation, mentality and player group...

Lol.. that can be happen. İt is interesting to see championship team in european competitions

vor 6 Stunden schrieb phd_angel:

Happens, but its rare: In the final in the Olympiastadion Berlin on May 25, 1996, Kaiserslautern defeated Karlsruher SC 1-0. Kaiserslautern had been relegated from the Bundesliga for the first time a week earlier. A relegation as a cup winner is unique in Germany to this day.

Happens very often (maybe not the relegation) but suddenly playing in continental competitions, along with leage, domestic cups, happened to planty of other clubs before and will again.  Happened to Leeds once also iirc in the past.  Playing in Europe, battling relegation all season.

I'll also add, depending on league settings, it happens quite frequently in FM, especially in leagues you don't have active or are not playing in.

Edited by Maviarab

In 2010, my local team, Follo, was relegated from the 2nd tier into the 3rd tier in Norway, and almost won the cup at the same time. They lost the final after beating several top tier teams on the way. If they had won the final match they would have been playing in the Europa League while playing against amateur sides in the 3rd tier...

vor 18 Stunden schrieb XaW:

In 2010, my local team, Follo, was relegated from the 2nd tier into the 3rd tier in Norway, and almost won the cup at the same time. They lost the final after beating several top tier teams on the way. If they had won the final match they would have been playing in the Europa League while playing against amateur sides in the 3rd tier...

Nomono, almost win the cup is not enough for this thread :p

2 minutes ago, Conardo said:

Nomono, almost win the cup is not enough for this thread :p

Sorry... it was my best example of something almost spectacular! ;) 

3 hours ago, phantombandit said:

Bear in mind that alot of clubs do not put much stock in the FA club so they might use it as a time to rotate their starting squad. If you are putting your first time out during the cup, that would give you an advantage.

It makes sense and I'd agree with you, except that FA is a window into Europa! 

8 hours ago, mcgaffer said:

Millwall played in the UEFA Cup back in 04/05 after losing the FA Cup Final to Man Utd. They have never been in the PL

How could Millwall play at UEFA if they lost the FA?

1 minute ago, iamnobody said:

At that time the runner-up for the FA cup would go to the UEFA cup if the winner already qualified for the Champions League.  

Thanks for the explanation. :thup:

20 hours ago, phd_angel said:

It makes sense and I'd agree with you, except that FA is a window into Europa! 

I mean the team that wins the FA cup usually finishes in the european places anyway. But in real life, and I assume in game, teams really dont care about the FA cup unfortunately.