[FM23] Wrexham AFC - Hollywood meets North Wales

ashlfcowen

0c0f55917a013268f75b403b34cbe62ac2-rob-ryan_2x.rhorizontal_w700.jpg.webp.258e1aaccb19d998e82526c5f94842d1.webp

EVERYONE: "Rob, Ryan, are you serious about buying Wrexham AFC?"

THEM: “This is the third oldest professional football club on Earth that plays in the oldest international stadium on earth. It is serious business to each and every person. I don't care whether you're five years old in Wrexham or you're 95 years old. There is a passion. 

Wrexham A.F.C. is running through the blood of every person out there.”

I think that reply perfectly sums up how serious they are about this project.

Welcome to the Wrexham AFC FM23 Thread

History

Wrexham Football Club is no ordinary football club. Founded in 1864, just one year after the Football Association first met and the Laws of the Game were first written, Wrexham is the third oldest professional football club in the world.

Over the years, the team and its ever-loyal supporters have experienced together the joy of victory, the frustration of near success and the despair that follows defeat. The fans have cheered each time a goal has'hit the back of the opposing team's net. When Wrexham have been ahead, they have anxiously counted down those final, seemingly endless minutes of injury time before exploding with joy as the final whistle blows. They have never given up; even when all hope of victory has slipped away.

Wrexham fans have witnessed the highs and the lows that are the milestones in the story of every football club. 

Despite having phenomenal success as a Welsh club, competing in Welsh competitions - their success as a club playing in the English Leagues when they moved over in 1905 leaves a lot more to be desired. 37 of their 40 trophies have come from competing against other Welsh teams. 

Stadium 

_107734512_wrexhamracecourse_getty.jpg.webp.aa294debd7dedec6235bafc1e69d2bc6.webp

Regarded by the Guinness Book of Records as football’s oldest ground still to be in use, this venue dates back to 1807. Very impressive even if taking into account that first football match in fact took place in 1872.

Before that, as name suggests, it was a horse racing and also cricket stadium.

With a capacity of 15,500 - it boasts more seats than some Premier League stadiums so you’re well equipped here until you hit capacity and the demand is there for a new stadium.

The training facilities are good and the youth facilities adequate.

Board expectation and club vision

989337057_Screenshot2022-11-07at3_38_29pm.thumb.png.e24be7642b9581770240614b8622258b.png

Whether you like it or not – the absolute priority for both the board and supporters is promotion.

If you have watched the Disney+ documentary “Welcome to Wrexham’ you’ll know that without promotion, this club will haemorrhage money. (If you haven't - please do, it's a great watch)

I’m pretty certain that you’ll only be given one chance to get promoted or you’ll be sent packing with your P45.

The good thing is, the starting squad you possess is more than capable of promotion.

The media seem to think so anyway with 8 of your players making up their Dream Team 11.

54695185_Screenshot2022-11-07at3_54_03pm.png.21ef930531983c71b2d38f4f830a11bf.png

But if you’re not happy with it - you start with a hefty transfer budget for this level and the available wage bill isn’t bad either. You have plenty of scope to improve the team should you feel the need to.

I420414225_Screenshot2022-11-07at3_59_27pm.png.409a126d9ea9fe0e228517e74e121882.png

Chesterfield and Notts Country are likely the two team to keep you on your toes for that top place finish.

It’s safe to say the club supporters’ demands are high level, who expect a certain style of football to be played. They want an internal focus on players and they want specific results against specific opposition! Do not let them down.

799036410_Screenshot2022-11-07at3_55_47pm.thumb.png.000535e7bc4c6d3cc2a6ed9e9fe12046.png

The board are less bothered - they just want promotion. Promotion or bust (for you)

1944188091_Screenshot2022-11-07at3_56_11pm.thumb.png.6a4e4fadf5103116387bf14caf13a12e.png

Edited by ashlfcowen

Squad Analysis

FA344l8XoA8tXMz.thumb.jpeg.aca1f3585e33caadf2a26508482c2846.jpeg
2021/22 Squad Picture

Goalkeepers

0_JS169259492.jpg.29d421eabc3b2b115df614583455d829.jpg

Rob Lainton

Out with an injury from a dislocated wrist he fractured last season. He should be back within 5-8 weeks from the start of the game, however his injury has definitely impacted how he is rated on this year’s version of FM. Comfortably one of the best keepers in the league on his day, but at 32 years of age with a significant injury to return from I would say that this is the area you should look at investing in.

Until Rob Lainton is back, the well travelled Mark Howard should provide adequate cover.

I would look to sell Watson and Dibble.

Defenders

Large.webp.8037eb77d3093a8455f4819d590ceb1d.webp

Aaron Hayden is your main man here. He should find a good centre-back partner in either Tozer, Tunnicliffe, Hall-Johnson or Lennon however there is a 19-year-old in your youth called Scott Butler who has great potential and could exceed the current ability of all of the above.

So I would argue that you are probably overstacked at this position and should look to offload either Tunnicliffe, Hall-Johnson or Lennon.

McFadzean and Forde are more than good enough to start as your full-backs with Hosannah and Mendy providing good enough cover until you want to upgrade here. 

Midfielders

348158315.article-962.jpg.804f3c2ccb19de98d29699260779b64c.jpg

Thomas O’Connor, signed for an undisclosed amount from league one team Burton speaks volumes. He's your best midfielder.

Elliott Lee dropped down 2 leagues to come and play for Wrexham and should either be playing as one of your strikers or as an attacking midfielder.

Jordan Davies is the clubs’ wonderboy having come from their youth team. Despite lacking in certain mental attributes he definitely makes up for in technical and physical.

James Jones starts on the transfer list, which personally I would remove him from because he has a part to play in your squad.

Luke Young, the current club captain is likely to be your 4-5th choice starter here but is good enough to offer cover across the course of the season.

Strikers

“We’ve got Mullin, Super Paul Mullin!”

Okay this man is good.

In fact, godly at this level and he should be your number one striker until you hit Championship Level, and I would argue he could even do a job there.

When his contract at Cambridge expired, he was the top scorer in League One.

He’s too good for this level and should comfortably be leading you to promotion.

Ollie Palmer - is the perfect striker to complement Mullin. He is a mental specimen but unfortunately moves like a cruise ship. If you focus on a tactic that gets the best out of Palmer and Mullin you should find your first year at the Racecourse easy.

Elliott Lee, who arguably is better suited to an attacking midfield role than striker can offer some variety up front along with Sam Dalby who could be both Palmer and Dalby’s understudy.

You then have Liam McAlinden who probably won’t start much for you.

transfer-window.jpeg.04cd25e693e3939edf33809fed69e627.jpeg

Transfer Recommendations: I would be making a proper ball-winning DM and a goalkeeper my priority in your first transfer window.

Under 21s and Youth

Other than Butler, who we discussed could partner Hayden as a centre back, the only other prospect is Dan Davies however I can't be certain whether his PA is random.

971566065_Screenshot2022-11-07at6_37_20pm.thumb.png.93dcadd6f72467f8a0d0e4f3f5e069c4.png

Edited by ashlfcowen

Tactics

il_1588xN.2322109990_5iie.jpg.thumb.webp.30e9d2f617ac863508cca853641a0a03.webp

So putting it all together...

Other than Jordan Davies, the club lack any natural wingers or players who can play out wide and cut inside. You do have Liam McAlinden as an option if you wanted to opt for a wider shape, but personally I don't think he's not good enough to start for you. Jacob Mendy could be player further up the field as he has the ability to, however based on the current squad quota going with a narrow formation would be your best bet.

Either a Diamond (4-1-2-1-2) or a Brazilian Box formation. (4-2-2-2) 

You definitely want to do your best to fit Mullin and Palmer in the same team hence why I recommend a 2-striker system.

The average pace of your central defender is not great, so playing a high-line at this level where pace is so important I think would be risky. I think your centre backs would get exposed.

Comparatively to the rest of the league your squad is fit so you will be able to get away with playing a system that presses however I decided not to do that too high up the pitch as I wanted some compactness in the middle so I could trigger press there.

I am no tactical genius and the 4-2-2-2 Box formation is basically one I took from @Cleon's book. I just wanted to use an example of how you could set the team up based on it's strengths.

664864610_Screenshot2022-11-07at4_25_32pm.thumb.png.a18a9c37f156bb8ce49364fbf6e3f764.png424921153_Screenshot2022-11-07at4_27_30pm.thumb.png.1233b7e9addb2f6efa31df88015549cd.png

Edited by ashlfcowen

Great opening post. 

I am definitely going to do a Wrexham career at some point on FM23.

I think it will be an interesting save for most people as you can go in so many ways. 

You can either try signing big name players from leagues above on high wages, sign young players release from Prem sides, sign only Welsh players or maybe do it as youth only save.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Great opening post. 

I am definitely going to do a Wrexham career at some point on FM23.

I think it will be an interesting save for most people as you can go in so many ways. 

You can either try signing big name players from leagues above on high wages, sign young players release from Prem sides, sign only Welsh players or maybe do it as youth only save.

Thank you! Tbh I copied the format from @nico_france (thanks!). I don't have the creativity or imagination to make one from scratch ahah.

However I had a great 22-season career with Wrexham last year on '22 which I loved, and I know they are a popular team to manage so figured why not make a thread.

I randomly post about my achievements on Twitter but I don't have enough people on there who actually care haha.

• ashlfcowen changed the title to [FM23] Wrexham AFC - Hollywood meets North Wales
1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I would like to see how you do with your team buddy. 

Maybe you could update us on your progress. Players to watch out for etc.

Oh i'll definitely be starting a long term save with them soon, i've dabbled since I got hold of the game, but haven't taken any save seriously yet.

There was a time many years ago where a young Welshace would have been seen in the ranks of the squad, so i'm tempted to try and build towards a strong youth setup and bring about a conveyor belt of the next Welsh legends

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

Oh i'll definitely be starting a long term save with them soon, i've dabbled since I got hold of the game, but haven't taken any save seriously yet.

There was a time many years ago where a young Welshace would have been seen in the ranks of the squad, so i'm tempted to try and build towards a strong youth setup and bring about a conveyor belt of the next Welsh legends

Yeah that is what I am thinking of doing by a sign Welsh players only save.

Imagine signing Gareth Bale lol. I know it wont happen as he will be unattainable and even if you get to Prem he will have retired by then.

20 minutes ago, Welshace said:

My Club <3

Hope this becomes a popular thread this year... surely one of the best challenges to take on

I live in Holyhead, but spent the last 18 years of my life in Warrington. I’m a Liverpool fan but have a huge soft spot for Wrexham with them being the closest pro team to my hometown. 

I’ll be updating my save in here to hopefully inspire people to play as them. 

Season One - Done

We brought in 9 players in total, however only 3 of them walked into our XI. 

Mungo Bridge, who we brought in for free having not make the cut at Aston Villa.

1728940235_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_48_04pm.thumb.png.4b6d790deb292895d935fd918e59aa0b.png

George Marsh, who used up most of our budget. £135k upfront, with another £25k to be paid in 12 months. This is that defensive midfielder I recommended you all bought.

773932_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_48_37pm.thumb.png.92093abb3b1a725ccb75cf38f897a978.png

And finally,  John Bostock who actually won his first International cap playing for us!  After free signing after being released from Doncaster.

1700221468_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_48_18pm.thumb.png.cab137fc5c198e95bbbddc37db7d389d.png

Which saw us line up at full strength like this:

356933872_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_53_54pm.thumb.png.08ca044d2e07dd6dff551ad8d40e47ad.png

We achieved what the board wanted

178578875_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_55_47pm.thumb.png.1269e6c75cff216df15c7c30fe8054c7.png

And I was able to get that combo of Mullin + Palmer firing! Muller with 48 in 45 games (9 assists) and Palmer with 25 in 49 with 15 assists.

103685198_Screenshot2022-11-08at2_56_54pm.thumb.png.14f0c7214e7849365dad0578e810dcc1.png

I'm not entirely convinced I can walk into League Two without any first team additions. The priority has to be two fullbacks capable of getting up and down the line all day.

Something I noticed using the setup I did is that if those two are having an off day, the whole team had one.

Edited by ashlfcowen

Started off with Wrexham this year and It's been fun so far. Paul Mullen blitzed his way through the Vanarama and curently doing a tidy job in L2. I Currently sit 2nd in League 2 with ~20 games to go, looking for back to back promotions. Haven beaten 3 League ones teams away in the Cups this year, even avoiding Relegation SHOULD be fairly simple if I make it up.

Mind you, I did spent a decent amount once in League 2. The starting squad should get you up easily enough from the Vanarama.

42 minutes ago, KillYourIdols said:

Started off with Wrexham this year and It's been fun so far. Paul Mullen blitzed his way through the Vanarama and curently doing a tidy job in L2. I Currently sit 2nd in League 2 with ~20 games to go, looking for back to back promotions. Haven beaten 3 League ones teams away in the Cups this year, even avoiding Relegation SHOULD be fairly simple if I make it up.

Mind you, I did spent a decent amount once in League 2. The starting squad should get you up easily enough from the Vanarama.

He’s too good for every level up til Championship imo. 

What’s your set up like?

20 minutes ago, ashlfcowen said:

He’s too good for every level up til Championship imo. 

What’s your set up like?

There isnt many remaining from the first season, Especially in the first team and those that are will soon be shipped out I think. Off top of my head, only really Mullin, Jones, O'Connor and Davies get games and Tunicliffe, Hayden and Forde are rare subs. Palmer and Lee have the hump as they are not getting enough game time and are "Exploring their Options"

I'll post my team and transfers for those interested when I get home.

Edited by KillYourIdols
Kant Speel

4 hours ago, KillYourIdols said:

There isnt many remaining from the first season, Especially in the first team and those that are will soon be shipped out I think. Off top of my head, only really Mullin, Jones, O'Connor and Davies get games and Tunicliffe, Hayden and Forde are rare subs. Palmer and Lee have the hump as they are not getting enough game time and are "Exploring their Options"

I'll post my team and transfers for those interested when I get home.

Feeling you. 

I was inviting I wouldn't change the team to much after promotion,

But the scouts kept recommending A+ players out of contract and I couldn't resist. 

So we've made some big changes to the XI

Great start to life in League Two though!

1075038317_Screenshot2022-11-09at9_06_38pm.thumb.png.785845a260b184880d987d2b8f7d9fba.png

I've just started my own Wrexham save this week before reading anything online about them. I'm about 8 games into the season and pretty set with my first season squad so wanted to see what sort of moves others had made. Like some on here I took advantage of the free agent market and bought in Mungo Bridge, John Bostock, Cole Dasilva and Jerome Sinclair. I have settled on a 4-2-1-2 narrow diamond although I'm currently trying out Sinclair in a F9 spot between Palmer and Mullin as Elliot Lee has been ineffective in the AM role. I even managed to bring in Daniel Sturridge on a trial during the preseason but he was useless so he went back to being a free agent.

Lads, I think Mullin might need nerfed. I changed formation in league two after getting in some more wider players, so Mullin went to sole striker. Likely explains drastic drop in assists. I found in the national league playing a narrow setup worked best due to lack of wide players/wide players with pace. I always start my FM saves with transfer window disabled till January.

I can't say the Hollywood owners pump too much money into the account, but they did clear off my debts at the end of league two with a cash injection. Very expensive league when you look to bulk up the squad with better quality/wages after getting out of the national league. Will see what happens whenever I make it into the championship. Relying on a new squad of free transfers at that point might be wishful thinking lol.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 100658.png

Edited by Audioboxer

7 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Speaking of free transfers, the ever realistic Football Manager lol

Godin is retiring in December 2024 (tried to get him to reconsider), Vidal end of the season. But good leaders/experience to try and help us get into the championship.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 102612.png

Screenshot 2022-11-11 102633.png

Hey buddy,

Great work with Wrexham. Going to ease myself into a lower league management save with these guys over the weekend. 

I was wondering. What is the name of the skin you use? I have the backgrounds etc and a skin which does display them but the opacity of it isn't great.

15 hours ago, davecrossley33 said:

Hey buddy,

Great work with Wrexham. Going to ease myself into a lower league management save with these guys over the weekend. 

I was wondering. What is the name of the skin you use? I have the backgrounds etc and a skin which does display them but the opacity of it isn't great.

It's just the default skin. Only things I added were a facepack, logopack and stadiums background pack.

I play at 150% zoom because I have an ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440, but the screenshots have been taken in windowed mode to stop me spamming the topic with ultrawide images.

Maybe the background pack I have changes some transparency? It's the sortitoutsi Backgrounds Megapack.

On 11/11/2022 at 10:07, Audioboxer said:

Lads, I think Mullin might need nerfed. I changed formation in league two after getting in some more wider players, so Mullin went to sole striker. Likely explains drastic drop in assists. I found in the national league playing a narrow setup worked best due to lack of wide players/wide players with pace. I always start my FM saves with transfer window disabled till January.

I can't say the Hollywood owners pump too much money into the account, but they did clear off my debts at the end of league two with a cash injection. Very expensive league when you look to bulk up the squad with better quality/wages after getting out of the national league. Will see what happens whenever I make it into the championship. Relying on a new squad of free transfers at that point might be wishful thinking lol.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 100658.png

I've had a couple of cash injections from RR now.

He gave me £2m to spend after being promoted via playoffs to League One as well

You enjoying your save?

On 11/11/2022 at 21:38, pedromanuelpinto said:

Hi,

Having some trouble to know with who to start, and my only problem with Wrexham is the time to be in the premier league (4 years…). 
Isn’t to much? I’m usually a player for 4 season starting from the 2nd division (championship usually). 

4 years as a minimum yes, but I'm just trying to enjoy the journey (which I am!)

7 hours ago, KillYourIdols said:

League 2?

Completed it mate. Off to League 1 now!  Pre season results look promising (not that they mean much) so hopeful of an easy mid table finish.

Nice.

We're a stretch away from 2nd and 1st but still really happy with how our first season in League One is going.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 9.25.34 pm.png

Edited by ashlfcowen

Looks like the owners change from what I suspect is back end sugar daddy (would explain them wiping my debts during promotion cycles) to underwriter once you are in the premier league. I got a message to say they won't be putting as much money in the club as before :(

Premier league is the real end game, it's tough. Concede quite a few goals to the big six by getting battered lol. But prem league money is amazing, I guess that's why the owners decide the club can run itself now. Here's hoping for the eventual new sugar daddy takeover :D

As Big Sam would say, you get to 40 points and you're 100% safe.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 105830.png

Edited by Audioboxer

Wrexham: Season 1 (22/23)

Right, I'm in, fully invested... :D

Been a while since I've done a save this low in England (maybe 5 years?) so took me a while to get back to grips with it, but I've brought some staff in first on 1-2 year contracts as the staffing isn't great, plus they start with zero scouts, most notibly I've brought in:

Julian Dicks (Coach)

Luke Walker (Head Physio)

Tommy Miller (Chief Scout)

Erwin Vandenbergh (Scout)

Kevin Paton (Scout)

Joseph Simmonds (Scout)

Anwar Uddin (U18s Manager)

Spencer Prior (U2s Manager)

In terms of Transfers, I've not spent much, just put more into wages to sign some very good free transfers, only player I've spent money on so far is Joe Hilton for £3,000 - leaving me with £158,896 left in my budget:

image.thumb.png.eb3ae090787cb42c8d8f13d8968f4d8d.png

I'm only a few games in but Danny Simpson has been incredible, 2 goal and 2 assists in his first 3 games from right-back and Adam Wharton on loan is brilliant at this level for DM.

That leaves me with a set-up like this:

image.thumb.png.dd9fb20c9f497f446e1ab5b9dce1378b.png

image.thumb.png.00c7a415e4f0f02f49bed59e3b6ea2a7.png

Started well, predictably scoring a ton of goals :D

image.thumb.png.f27b3a22bb8dbb8f18997867f58299e6.png

Next post…

Edited by stevemc

Wooo, League one is a different kettle of fish altogether. Although not being run over, its 7 points from 5 games and "Squeeky bum time" each and every game. Never gonna over awe teams, thats for certain. 

New plan; Stay in the division, allowing youth to develop by giving them plenty of game time and save money for a splurge next season. This season is consolidation and conservation.

Like many here, Wrexham is too interesting to pass up but, I’m adding a little extra twist into my journey up the leagues with Rob and Ryan. That transfer budget can go straight into wages because it’s no transfer fees until we hit European competition. Yep, even if we make it to the promised land of the Prem, only frees for me! Won’t really have an impact now, but it’s gonna make those last steps way harder.

After the first summer, that hefty wage budget is coming in all sorts of useful. In come George McEachran, Andre Wisdom and Jerome Sinclair, who all have no business being this far down the pyramid.

Fingers crossed the first year goes as well as everyone else.

On 16/11/2022 at 18:09, KillYourIdols said:

Wooo, League one is a different kettle of fish altogether. Although not being run over, its 7 points from 5 games and "Squeeky bum time" each and every game. Never gonna over awe teams, thats for certain. 

New plan; Stay in the division, allowing youth to develop by giving them plenty of game time and save money for a splurge next season. This season is consolidation and conservation.

Right. Things have changed since, mainly a change of tactic to a more Counter Attacking one. Unbeaten in 9, 1 Loss in ten and TO THE TOP of League one.

image.thumb.png.90fb6014bb0cd6fd4b596fe5008a7024.png

And these Young lads I trusted to Develop this season are doing more than that, Bless 'em.

image.thumb.png.a58fd9807fb392974107ba8b3a1ac888.png

image.thumb.png.d7079c450935c56cf702003d488fd851.png

So, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but seems that resting on a tried and tested tactic may not work as you climb the Leagues. I always have a tweak on a regular basis, but always remember to play to your strengths. In this case, Pace, Pace, Pace.

Welcome to Wrexham Indeed.

Edited by KillYourIdols