How do you improve youth players' personalities?

I have just had my youth intake, and I've been given an incredible young player. League One standard immediately, with five star potential. However, his personality is 'low determination,' and his determination is 4:

image.thumb.png.791d47cf9238b8e7c11c482b232b374c.png

For young players, I know training is more important than game time, so I don't want to immediately put him in my first team just so that he can go into a mentoring group.

So, what is the best way of going about increasing his determination, and sorting out his atrocious personality?

43 minutos atrás, ryandormer disse:

For young players, I know training is more important than game time, so I don't want to immediately put him in my first team just so that he can go into a mentoring group.

I disagree with this point. Normally my best young players are moved into the first team but they only play matches for the sub teams. This way they do the mentoring with older players but they still play matches with their colleagues from the same age. I play FM 21, so I don´t know if this changed in 22.

That said, my mentoring is very simple: groups of three players in which we have two "good" personalities and a "bad" one. Sometimes I need to create groups of four, then I try to put three "good" personalities for one "bad".

Until now I had good results on personality changes, not just with younger players but also with a loaned one which has been on the club for 2 seasons.

The best way to increase his determination (and work rate) is to fine him for poor performances.

6.5 warning

6.3-4 1 day

6.2 and below 1 week.

Not me that discovered this.

And his personality is not necessarily atrocious, because it's so easily fixed. Of course, once his determination goes up to 6, you might find out there was an atrocious one hiding there, so you may want to have him mentored by players with good ambition.

(I've just noticed that the top prospect from my last intake also had low determination personality, and I haven't managed to improve his determination at all yet this offseason. The snag is that they do need to play badly at some point. If necessary I'll play him even more frequently in friendlies against really good sides next summer. However, it's still only a few months of training and mentoring so early days).

Edited by vikeologist

Thanks for the replies.

6 hours ago, Tsuru said:

I disagree with this point. Normally my best young players are moved into the first team but they only play matches for the sub teams. This way they do the mentoring with older players but they still play matches with their colleagues from the same age. I play FM 21, so I don´t know if this changed in 22.

Concerning mentoring, do you always have somebody with 'significant' influence on the group in your groups, or is 'average' enough as long as they have a good personality?

11 horas atrás, ryandormer disse:

Thanks for the replies.

Concerning mentoring, do you always have somebody with 'significant' influence on the group in your groups, or is 'average' enough as long as they have a good personality?

TBH I don´t look at this influence part...normally I look just at the personalities.

I know it is not the complete way, but looking everything would take a lot of time and probably overcomplicate things so I focus on the personalities.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides mentoring, somethting I started doing lately is loan players from other teams with good personalities for my youth team. Doesn't matter if they are not that good, I just want them to create the "environment"

18 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Afaik you can also create mentoring groups in the youth squad. :)

I used to do this but it's so time consuming and most players in the youth team have bad/average personalities anyway 

• SI Staff
On 01/06/2022 at 14:56, ryandormer said:

I have just had my youth intake, and I've been given an incredible young player. League One standard immediately, with five star potential. However, his personality is 'low determination,' and his determination is 4:

image.thumb.png.791d47cf9238b8e7c11c482b232b374c.png

So, what is the best way of going about increasing his determination, and sorting out his atrocious personality?

Personality of youth coaching staff will help this and be able to help in the future etc. Can you send some screenshots of your staff or post their personalities out of interest?

On 14/06/2022 at 13:33, KlaaZ said:

Afaik you can also create mentoring groups in the youth squad. :)

Wow. I didn't know that. Can anyone confirm - does it have any effect or not? I have a few youngsters that are labelled as team leaders in my U-18 team and have desired personality, but after I created mentoring groups for U-18 players it shows that all youth players have 'none' estimated influence on group and 'none' effect from group, so it doesn't look to have any real effect?

On 15/06/2022 at 07:27, DarJ said:

I used to do this but it's so time consuming and most players in the youth team have bad/average personalities anyway 

I sign quite a few players with very good personalities, and mentoring the U18s is their only job.

I don't know to what extent it works. It's not like I have an U18 squad of Perfectionists (which is a far easier personality to recruit than Model Pros or Citizens), but maybe it smooths some of the rough edges.

6 hours ago, Draakon said:

Wow. I didn't know that. Can anyone confirm - does it have any effect or not? I have a few youngsters that are labelled as team leaders in my U-18 team and have desired personality, but after I created mentoring groups for U-18 players it shows that all youth players have 'none' estimated influence on group and 'none' effect from group, so it doesn't look to have any real effect?

Could it work?  Yes.  Will it work the way you want?  Probably not.  

The problem at this level is that all of the players are very susceptible to being influenced at this age and you are just as likely to have the bad qualities from the bad personalities being passed on to the good kids as you are to have the good kids personalities pass to the bad kids.  For mentoring to really work correctly, you need an older player who, won't be influenced by those he is supposed to be influencing, as the leader of the mentoring group as player's personalities "harden" as they age. 

TLDR:  you are just as likely to ruin the good kids as you are to improve the bad kids at this age. 

On 15/06/2022 at 12:31, Jack Sarahs said:

Personality of youth coaching staff will help this and be able to help in the future etc. Can you send some screenshots of your staff or post their personalities out of interest?

This is my HOYD:

image.thumb.png.11d76812ba68c7df3ecdf5d439653e29.png

In terms of the U18 coaching staff, 'balanced' is the worst personality I have. A couple have 'fairly determined,' and one of them is a 'perfectionist.' So that player is a real outlier!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 16:32, Draakon said:

Did you look at the social hierarchy of the youth players? It will show you which players are the most influential. Just like with the first team, the players with high ability who have played lots of games & who been there the longest will have the most influence & are the most apt at influencing others (for good or bad). Captains & vice captains will get an influence bonus. You can check why each player is where he is on the hierarchy ladder by clicking on him.

On 19/06/2022 at 18:55, ryandormer said:

This is my HOYD:

image.thumb.png.11d76812ba68c7df3ecdf5d439653e29.png

In terms of the U18 coaching staff, 'balanced' is the worst personality I have. A couple have 'fairly determined,' and one of them is a 'perfectionist.' So that player is a real outlier!

Generally I find that the most important thing you want to get right at the junior level is to make sure your coaches all have good personalities first. The HOYD affects outliers, the extreme ends of the scale and the junior coaching personalities usually affect the rest. So you want to make sure you have a good coaching setup

On 01/06/2022 at 07:44, Tsuru said:

I've done this too but I've run into this big problem when the youth matches are not the same days as the senior matches:  the youth player, who trains with the seniors, is not training enough because:

• no senior training the day of the senior match;
  • limited senior training the days before and after the senior match (travel, match preview, recovery, match review, possibly other match training);
  • the youth player does not train the day of the youth match;
  • the youth player might have limited training the day before a youth match (travel, match preview);
  • the youth player has limited training the day after the youth match (travel, recovery)

If my youth team is mostly playing friendlies, I can take control of the youth scheduling and set those friendlies for the same day as the senior matches. 

[side note:  with my 1st reserve team, when possible, I prefer to set that team's friendlies to not be the same day or the day before a senior match, so that I can play my backups in those reserve friendlies and keep up their match sharpness.  But note that those backups will lose training sessions.  With a team that needs money, you can play senior friendlies and play backups but you lose a lot of training sessions for the entire senior squad.]

My guess is that if your youth player has a really bad personality, you need to fix that first and worry about training later.

Edited by glengarry224