[FM22] A Day Without Football is a Day Lost

SixPointer

15 hours ago, GIMN said:

That is a thing of beauty.  So absolutely violent and unnecessary

Well said. I’m a sucker for shithousers and he is the absolute top. This tackle? Almost seemed to be trolling his own manager!

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Well said. I’m a sucker for shithousers and he is the absolute top. This tackle? Almost seemed to be trolling his own manager!

He completely shafted me and am yet to trust him again 🤣

September 2024

b181c3c93cd94356446f7bb692ce17b6.png

Just four matches this month, something I didn't think I would be saying after UCL qualification. 3 good results. It should have been three amazing results, on paper if you had offered me 7 points from the three league games I would have bitten your hand off. As for the champions league Egeris decided to follow his mentor (Costa) and get sent off in the next game against atletico, perhaps taking his guidance a little too seriously.

08168bafbc208869504636eb73f7a93a.png

The scoreboard says Atletico demolished us but in reality they took their chances, very concerning that M van de Hart conceded 3 from an XG of just 0.84 and from only 5 shots on target it has to be considered poor goalkeeping. I could understand if we had been bombarded, but we defended well all while offering zero threat. To progress in any way shape or form I felt I had ro win all three home games. With that out the window I more than likely will make the league my priority. 

Great result against AZ in a close encounter, with our well worked goal coming at a time when the home side were in the ascendance, proving vital as we survived a late barrage to take all three points. The 4-3-3 got a run out and it created some very nice passing angles, with diamonds and triangles and wide overloads on display.

We decided to make things hard for ourselves at Willem II after being two up early on we let the back into the game, but our dominance prevailed in the end. A very nice opening Goal from the IF role which I am really beginning to fall in love with, it seems now to play like I envisioned it would. Running outside to cut in from the half space to run in behind. Could this be the turning moment for the role which I have stayed away from as I felt it never ever did this enough.

Sparta Rotterdam 3-3 Ajax

A thrilling encounter, with a well thought out game plan executed then destroyed by a send off only to come undone late on, so I felt I would go into a little more detail with the big game of the month. If there was ever a game i wanted to share the whole thing with, it was this one, we played immense to go along with the drama which made it the ultimate spectacle.

4bf3ce0965a4d6c32bd59f2f9ea5881b.png

Ajax would set up in Frank De Boer's favoured 5-2-1-2, the narrow formation would make the battle for control of the centre a vital one. Eriksen is the quarterback everything goes through him but with Kudus and Gravenbarch joining him in the middle i felt Ajax lacked a defensive minded player to offset them, leaving the back three with a lot of work to do to keep Sparta at bay.

This led me onto using the Conductor with two free 8’s (Mezz A) i felt we could get at the midfield two and with Laranjeira being an exceptional presser he could do a number on Eriksen. It also adds greater protection to the centre with IWB’s helping overload the middle and well positioned to defend counters. A stopper/cover combo at CB to help with the movement of the front pairing should stop Tadic getting on it freely and cover Ruiz running in behind.

Forcing the opponent wide coupled with opponent instructions with showing the players onto the touchline side foot should funnel their play down the flanks where they are outnumbered and help keep it away from their deadly centre. Front three are man marked tightly by opposite numbers, the fact we are man for man at the back it's best to mark them and restrict them as best as possible. The middle CB is afforded the ball due to the fact he has weak passing, technique vision and decisions he is the weakest of the three in ball playing so should offer less threat, Erikesen will be man marked and pressed goes without saying why.

8956f3753c04d9fe6e1591fb835fd2c3.gif

2 minutes on the clock and after some lovely deep Build up play to bypass the Ajax press followed by a nice wide overload that opens the space up for Baturina to exploit, he duly accepts the offer, cuts across his man and fires into the bottom corner, what a start!

448776e61890b34388a81de516d19086.png

Even at this early stage defensive game plan is working nicely, Erikesne is being pressed backwards and towards the touchline. Front two are man for man as is the WB's and while this poses a threat I have to have belief in my players to stand up to their man as it's the only way to stop overloads against us. My only concern from this defensive shape is their AMC is free from our 6 who should be touch tight but has been dragged over to the ball side half space.

04c461500fa1f8a815b8033378c6c80f.png

Emegha volleyed home at the back post to send us two up before the break, a convincing lead with some of our best football on show, things looked comfortable. Enter Diego Costa who nails the WCB two footed inside the Ajax defensive third and gets himself sent off in the process, It would be back to the wall in the second half.

Surprisingly Hasenhutl drifted forward from a throw on the opposite side and unleashed a piledriver into the back of the net, 3-0 up with 8 minutes of regular time to play, Game over. Ajax hit back imediately which makes for a very nervy ending, they then hit one from distance, which was my fault as my man marking scheme came undone and allowed the space.

2e0dc95fbeb6384f10016d140ce90505.gif

Another Atletico man enters, Luis Suarez back to Ajax for one last dance (yes i'm asking myself if i could have got him instead of diego). He capitalises on a huge mistake from the uber consistent Hasenhuttl and all the hard work is undone in a blink of an eye.

10 men for 45 minutes to throw it all away conceding goals on 84, 86, 89. Devastated I truly was but I reminded the players of how well they had done and threw a water bottle at Diego who in turn headbutted me..........:lol:

16add67d965c6e9214424ba826e20743.png

The up-turn in dominance is clear to see and it shows how pivotal Costa's actions on the stroke of half time were, i can't say for certain that we would have won but there is a high probability that we would have, considering we had also hit the post twice in the first half as well.

Losing three goals from an expected 1.13 is a tough one to take especially considering how much pressure we were under. We did well to restrict Ajax but again I'm left asking questions of my goalkeeper, but i do shoulder a portion of the blame.

All in all we remain unbeaten for the month in the league and look in good shape to take on a very challenging month, the champions league may become a slideshow next month will certainly decide what the plan will be on that front and with a trip to the Emirates stadium first up it won't take long until a decision will be made.

Edited by SixPointer

50 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

The scoreboard says Atletico demolished us but in reality they took their chances, very concerning that M van de Hart conceded 3 from an XG of just 0.84 and from only 5 shots on target it has to be considered poor goalkeeping. I could understand if we had been bombarded, but we defended well all while offering zero threat. To progress in any way shape or form I felt I had ro win all three home games. With that out the window I more than likely will make the league my priority. 

Possible blessing in disguise.  Take the money and reputation boost from being in the UCL, but don't have it detract too much from your league campaign, allowing you to take home the title this year!!  Are the sendings off an isolated thing, or are you concerned there might be a discipline issue creeping in?

52 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

8956f3753c04d9fe6e1591fb835fd2c3.gif

Love the way he opens his body, rather than trying to drill it into the far post.  In fact all three goals were absolutely beautiful.  Shame that Ajax somehow found a way back into the game.  I truly feel what you said about seeing out games!!!

Are you trying to become a physical /"dirty" team?

Because your strikers are leading candidates to be on a Hockey "Goon" Squad.

and I actually heartily endorse it! unless you're playing my team......because a rugby match might breakout.

11 hours ago, GIMN said:

Possible blessing in disguise.  Take the money and reputation boost from being in the UCL, but don't have it detract too much from your league campaign, allowing you to take home the title this year!!  Are the sendings off an isolated thing, or are you concerned there might be a discipline issue creeping in?

8 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Are you trying to become a physical /"dirty" team?

Because your strikers are leading candidates to be on a Hockey "Goon" Squad.

and I actually heartily endorse it! unless you're playing my team......because a rugby match might breakout.

Emm the Costa one I think it’s reasonable to understand the why, he is maxed out on aggression and let’s be honest he’s is more than capable of such a feat.

Egeris on the other hand has 9 for aggression which is a worry but is after all being mentored by the aggressive Spaniard so this could be a factor. Along with my pressing strategy in both games.

Tackle harder PI and Tackle harder OI on both players on the outsides off the back three. So I can see why it’s happened although I often deploy this strategy.

11 hours ago, GIMN said:

Love the way he opens his body, rather than trying to drill it into the far post.  In fact all three goals were absolutely beautiful.  Shame that Ajax somehow found a way back into the game.  I truly feel what you said about seeing out games!!!

He has the trait shots from distance but also has place shots which so far looks a lethal combo. He hit a peach earlier in the season as well from distance. Not sure if I pinned the clip though. I think it  was against sporting Lisbon. When he caught the keeper napping.

Ajax coming back is one of the most devastating moments in recent times, cause we deserved so much more. I think me trying to find a solution to closing games out may be causing issues as well. But I like the realism factor. I’m a high pressing team, we should be susceptible late on!

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Ajax coming back is one of the most devastating moments in recent times, cause we deserved so much more. I think me trying to find a solution to closing games out may be causing issues as well. But I like the realism factor. I’m a high pressing team, we should be susceptible late on!

Devastating but surely a huge amount of pride can come from going 3-0 up! Just got to look at how you see the games out. What is the overall concentration/stamina etc of your squad? Anything to note there or is it just fatigue? Is Holland a 3-sub or a 5-sub country?

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

It's not consolation, but I think that's something FM22 has done really well.  The changes to pressing & fatigue has made closing out games with 10 men especially difficult.  It was one of my biggest frustrations with previous iterations - whenever I'd play against 10 men I'd struggle to break them down even if I'd prioritise trying to stretch the player and making them run around after the ball.

6 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Devastating but surely a huge amount of pride can come from going 3-0 up! Just got to look at how you see the games out. What is the overall concentration/stamina etc of your squad? Anything to note there or is it just fatigue? Is Holland a 3-sub or a 5-sub country?

Immensely proud of the performance was just the fine margins in the end. concentration may be slightly lacking with 7 players below 11 but stamina is high as its part of the DNA, you could well be onto something with concentration. It's a 12 subs named 3 max used, but i'm not hugely sure it's fatigue.

I'm more inclined to go with concentration as it seems to come from mistakes and our fitness tends to be great. It is certainly something I'm going to be monitoring very closely along with defending corners which I have reverted back to my original setup from FM21. 

I know you use match plans, would you recommend me making one for 85-full time for a one goal lead? I know it was a three goal lead but I also have to take into account the ten men as well in this case.

4 hours ago, GIMN said:

It's not consolation, but I think that's something FM22 has done really well.  The changes to pressing & fatigue has made closing out games with 10 men especially difficult.  It was one of my biggest frustrations with previous iterations - whenever I'd play against 10 men I'd struggle to break them down even if I'd prioritise trying to stretch the player and making them run around after the ball.

I totally agree SI have nailed pressing too much being a fatigue issue, cause lets be honest previously it wasn't realistic enough. They have done it so well that closing out games is a real strategy that gets the brain working which is why I play this beautiful game after all.

October 2024

d984dd101a5f659ab8a0e29cd099e800.png

Safe to say my predictions about the champions league were well off the mark, as we have lost three from three. The same can't be said about the league as we go unbeaten for the month with another two back to back away wins, scoring a total of 9 and conceding 0 for the month.

660ad1ca07276a393ecdb842dd0db62b.png

The Emirates was always going to be an uphill task and it proved so as Diego Jota and Gouiri ran riot, we did get back into it at 3-1 but the Gooners pushed on and finished the job. Go Ahead Eagles felt the backlash hitting them for four, showing a truly clinical side scoring almost double our XG.

The opposite story at Venlo was squandered chances, penalty scored, clean sheet and three points with no complaints. Monaco needed a penalty but in truth they ran right over the top of us. Walemark smashed a hatrick to send us top of the league in our home coming against Roda after 6 away games in a row.

2874295648a7bcc9f1217cd0972c55c0.gif

Lovely move and finish from the IF(A), which is fast becoming one of my favourite roles. The focus play down the right really comes to life, the off the ball movement and ball circulation is second to none. I like how the IF drops deep then runs into space and then drifts wider. The Mezz (S) movement is exceptional as is his passing he makes the move come alive.

749a1ef8f7c0e79250b35a359c45d653.png

Top of the pile, which vindicates my decision to prioritise the league over the UCL. Like @GIMN said, I'll take the cash and the reputation points, but real success was never on the cards. To say it's tight at the top is an understatement and it will be interesting to see how things unfold as the league settles down.

Top scorers and least conceded cant have any complaints and would seem that the detail in attack along with some key additions have given us that extra edge that we have lacked previously. The Ajax and Twente results (both late goals) are even harder to swallow when you think we should have at least another four points on the board.

90264acd85cbe9be1652ae2217f368d8.png

Bad news coming in from the loan spell in Breda, broken leg. I had hoped for great things from his loan spell at NAC, the drop down a division would have provided him with a chance to score lots of goals and fine tune his game before coming back to challenge.

Like all young players who take a bad one, I offered him a new long term deal. No matter the potential I always do this, it offers no advantage in the game but it's how i would treat a kid in real life. Supporting them and giving them a chance to still make their dream rather than watching them fritter out, this goes for players of all potential.

6b55e4ec318209e8e6774c846f621882.png

Competition for places is high and the Argentine isn't happy with his 10 starts, Hojer has 11. If you don't perform you won't play simple as, the players are all adequately matched now, especially at left back. This is when the shortlist setups discussed on @_Ben_ thread are vital.

I have 5 players listed ready to be given an even further examination in the lead up to the window, with one person as the top target. At the minute Victor Kristansen looks the front runner but there is still time for any of the other four to move into position as the top replacement, should Milton leave.

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I know you use match plans, would you recommend me making one for 85-full time for a one goal lead? I know it was a three goal lead but I also have to take into account the ten men as well in this case.

Yes and that would certainly be something worth investigating but, when you use a match plan, it automatically sets the Assistant to make changes - and he'll often do this at the 15 minute mark. You can turn it off but you have to do it every game and, if you forget, or play a player somewhere that may not be their best tactical place, he'll amend it!

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Yes and that would certainly be something worth investigating but, when you use a match plan, it automatically sets the Assistant to make changes - and he'll often do this at the 15 minute mark. You can turn it off but you have to do it every game and, if you forget, or play a player somewhere that may not be their best tactical place, he'll amend it!

Hmm… I maybe need to investigate this.  I’m going to be keeping close tabs on the late goal situation and then make my move after gathering some information. 

8 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

You had a very tough CL draw mate ,probably everyone is in higher level from your team at this time.League results are very good though.;)

Thanks bud! Yeah we didn’t have that “weaker” team to battle it out with for third spot. If we don’t win the home game against Monaco we are out.

Great start to the season, most pleased about the goals scored column something that had been a real weak point 

Wålemark is already looking like an absolute steal for €2m, and great to see you top of the league.  Looks like PSV are back in the thick of it, so might be even more of a challenge this year round.

(Also, the CL's a rubbish competition anyway)

3 hours ago, GIMN said:

Wålemark is already looking like an absolute steal for €2m, and great to see you top of the league.  Looks like PSV are back in the thick of it, so might be even more of a challenge this year round.

(Also, the CL's a rubbish competition anyway)

He certainly is looking solid business which is pleasing, with him being a statman signing 

PSV look Sharp as do Feyenoord it’s Ajax so far that seem to be the weak link!

November 2024

fe615c0e83644d4bf4ecd73f21f72018.png

Very mixed month, two good wins but, knocked out the Champions league and beat at the Philips Stadion, which brings our seven game winning streak in the league to an abrupt end, knocking us off top spot in the process.

49a03daf28450a095677d3f6047a4733.png

Big win against a strong Vitesse side, perfect start with the IF on the left scoring the opener (433 shape). Monaco at Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel was a rollercoaster of emotions, leading 1-0 only to go behind and then level again and then losing in the end. It showed our battling qualities and gave me hope for the future.

The maestro made his return again De Graafschap and went back to making lovely passes in a great team goal, however he missed a penalty hence why the XG is so high. A convincing performance nonetheless and showing a ruthless side in games we would have found tricky last year.

PSV was the big match of the month and even with a meticulously thought out gameplan they managed to defeat us. They dominated us and forced us to play our passing game in our own half, limiting us and blunting our new found potent attack. Emegha should have snatched us a point and the death, a glaring miss.We would have robbed PSV as they deserved all three points.

First half against Atletico had lots of positives to draw on as we went in at the break 1-1, with a rotated side. Second half they upped the aunty and showed why we are the newcomers, as we lacked the maturity to really lay a glove on them at all. Out we go and unless we avoid defeat against Arsenal it's going to be a rude awakening.

4df062fecb54f473654b470811f0bb22.png

Win our game in hand and we will reach the summit again. It's shaping up to be quite the league season with only seven points separating top spot from 7th. Ajax have started the season poorly by their high standards which again makes the sucker punch hurt that little more.

We have the best goal difference again, something I am very proud of after lacking so much in this department last season, the upturn in attacking efficiency  is something else. We are not only more aggressive than previously we are a lot more clinical, sitting in the aggressive, clinical segment of the graph is exactly where I desire to be.

The improvement hasn't come at a cost defensively, as we are one of the best teams defensively in the league. Facing the least shots is a big factor which comes from us dominating the ball and keeping the opponent away from our box best possible.

98a50aba55e6dece9974c294b64fa5c7.png

Van Beek is another who was concerned with playing time, due to the emergence of young gun Roderick Staal. The former Feyenoord man brings in 700k in profit, not bad for a 30 year old centre back with 9 for bravery. He came in and did the job asked off him and now he goes on for a profit.

Staal and De Bodt are still a little too wet behind the ears so this will be an area that I may need to dip my toes into the market, but it will need to be the correct type of player at the right age as i don't want to block off their pathway.

Edited by SixPointer

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Good to see this going well! I've been off the forums and the game for a while, just catching up with a few of the stories i was earlier following. 

Great to have you back :brock: 

it’s a slow burner considering the challenge but I feel it will soon speed up after the first couple of hurdles. It’s definitely going to be my only save for the whole edition. 

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Just caught up on this (again) and pleased to see you still going strong in Rotterdam. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks very much my man! Full day of playing today so should be some good write ups throughout the week 

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great to have you back :brock: 

it’s a slow burner considering the challenge but I feel it will soon speed up after the first couple of hurdles. It’s definitely going to be my only save for the whole edition. 

If it's going to be your only save, you certainly picked a good one. Hope you can keep up the current title challenge!

Good battle at the top! Too bad about the UCL, but it’s paying off in the league.  Man that Costa red card was brutal. In that kind of game too…

Also, IF(a) is fantastic in a 4-3-3. I’ve always liked the IF role over the IW in terms of their off the ball movement.

Side note - as a player who suffered a broken leg (not a horror one but still, full lower leg break) I appreciate your giving those players a chance to recover (even if they’re imaginary).

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Good battle at the top! Too bad about the UCL, but it’s paying off in the league.  Man that Costa red card was brutal. In that kind of game too…

Also, IF(a) is fantastic in a 4-3-3. I’ve always liked the IF role over the IW in terms of their off the ball movement.

Side note - as a player who suffered a broken leg (not a horror one but still, full lower leg break) I appreciate your giving those players a chance to recover (even if they’re imaginary).

ive just had another straight red for a too footed lunge for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps we are morphing into Diego Simone’s side 🤣🤣

The IF (a) has totally won me over. Last few years I felt it never attacked the channel enough but this year he’s coming off the back of fullbacks or coming in front and in behind the CB. So I’m delighted with it. 

Edited by SixPointer

18 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

ive just had another straight red for a too footed lunge for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps we are morphing into Diego Simone’s side 🤣🤣

The IF (a) has totally won me over. Last few years I felt it never attacked the channel enough but this year he’s coming off the back of fullbacks or coming in front and in behind the CB. So I’m delighted with it. 

Those random, pointless 2 footed reds are just infuriating - and I feel like might happen a bit too often. Feel like in real life you see one every few years (though Sunday leagues it’s probably every week) but in game there’s one a season (for or against). Might be biased.

On the IF, it’s been a favorite of mine since it’s introduction, but that might be because it was my favorite role to play personally so I set up my tactics to get the best out of the role (creating isolations between it and the fullback).

14 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Do you think Diego Costa is running some kind of evening Fight Club, and your players are starting to get a taste of violence!?

Still looking good despite the PSV defeat.  Hopefully when CL campaign ends, it'll give your lads a chance to build up even more momentum.

December 2024

1a0e6a00350152e50b64924482ef1700.png

Inconsistent, frustrating just a few words to sum up december. Arsenal ensured that we were beaten in every group game, how wrong was I about the group. Unbeaten in the league, but a very testing month as we throw away vital points.

4974bf6b07e8c7a2f4289dd37a77a947.png

FC Utrecht have beaten Feyenoord and PSV this year, so there was no shame in drawing with them. The manner of it is the problem, dominating the game failing to capitalise with an XG of 2.00. Dropping points at home after leading 2-0 is totally unacceptable, especially the equaliser being conceded from the corner. The setup has changed and now only one player is left up the pitch, it will be monitored from now on closely.

Bounced back to winning ways against basement boys, Fortuna Sittard. A hat trick from the Maestro Mijnans should hopefully kick start his season after a bad injury. Arsenal robbed us at home as were the better side especially in the first half, missing a huge chance to take the lead. European football isn't for everyone but there are some positives to take and we will be back.

9421156e8e20f97899e2491606642f1a.png

The league match against RKC sums up the month. battering the woodwork five times, four coming inside their penalty area. Three points nonetheless and at least chances are being created. Back to back league wins keeps us in the hunt at the top.

Cup run is pivotal this year and we got it off to a great start, young Egeris captaining the side for the first time, chips the keeper 15 minutes in. Third goal comes from a lovely channel run from the IF (A) which is becoming as lethal as the CM(A), with both timing their to get in behind a huge highlight.

VVV-Venlo takes the award of most frustrating result of the month, as a moment of madness from Hojer on the stroke of halftime costs us massively. While shutting out Venlo with ten men until the 89th minute before conceding a poor goal is tough to take, its maybe, not Ajax level of hurt, but with the league being so close and the chance to win three on the spin and generate some momentum it's a huge blow.

Eredvisie Table

a84d52842362e3121fbd17deb2b48d07.png

The loss of 6 points that should have been on the board has a profound effect on the standings. Feyenoord sit two ahead with a game in hand,these fine margins are the difference between a title challenge and big four hopes. PSV have sorted themselves out this season and Ajax are back in the fight, knowing it wouldn't be long. It's very tight all the way down to 6th place, so we can't dwell too much on the past, especially with a colossal Rotterdam derby up next.

c0f87a45077ebb00ab403683ed12391e.png

Drawing Heerenveen away in the cup is not ideal, always a tough place to go the north of Holland and means its another league and cup double header which is rather strange. There is a huge incentive though as Ajax & PSV draw each other makes it one less member of the big three club in the next round which can only help our cause.

It's clear to see why the KNVB Beker is a tricky cup to win, only 4 teams from outside the top flight are left and it's only the third round. The vast amatuer game in Holland makes for a sizable quality gap as you drop down from the second tier, which sees smaller clubs knocked out very early.

c7f6f663b7e32625507d0f8db150fe99.png

Well it was only a matter of time before someone started to cause a fuss, Mario wasn't the one i expected it to come from first. Champions league group football can stave off some of these issues, but not when you get beat every game. This is probably a big factor in why he is considering his options.

A quick word from captain Nagalo is enough to keep him on side for now, but filling his boots is something I need to be ready for. At the moment I don't have that outstanding option to replace him, so I need to get looking, as top target Manea has tailed off this year.

7a1ed5077a9eaf04b4986f336829f29b.png

Interesting job interview, a club that the great Ernst Happel lifted the European Cup with, making him the only manager at the time to have won it with two different clubs. Ancelotti, Hitzfeld Mourinho and Heynckes followed in his footsteps. Of course I can't entertain it, as i havent won the KNVB with Sparta then the league title with Ajax, Feyenoord or PSV. (Damn this is a challenge)

Edited by SixPointer

Tough month and a shame to hear some noises that have obviously followed your European exit. Do you feel that there is anything you’re missing, tactically, in Europe or are teams just better than you?

Have you got any promising youth breaking through?

20 hours ago, GIMN said:

Do you think Diego Costa is running some kind of evening Fight Club, and your players are starting to get a taste of violence!?

Still looking good despite the PSV defeat.  Hopefully when CL campaign ends, it'll give your lads a chance to build up even more momentum.

I certainly wouldn’t put that past Diego. The sending off has ruined his Sparta career, as I’ve never really gotten over it so he’s seen very little action. Which is sad after such a promising start!

14 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Very interesting league battle. 

Very very tight! Crucial Rotterdam derby up next as they look the team to beat again this year.

11 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Tough month and a shame to hear some noises that have obviously followed your European exit. Do you feel that there is anything you’re missing, tactically, in Europe or are teams just better than you?

Have you got any promising youth breaking through?

The noises were always going to come, we are still a relatively small club, especially considering the ability of Hasenhutl, Mijnans, Nagalo, and Egeris I’m surprised it’s took so long. Main thing is am prepared for any movings on. No one is bigger than the club after all!

promising youth players there are a few, Staal has emerged this year as a solid CB and Verbeek is also a fully fledged member of the first team squad now.

Scheffer broke his leg on loan, de bruin has slowed down on loan. EL Dahri and Triep and De bodt are enjoying first team action in league below also.

Verbeek, Staal and Scheffer will make the grade the others am not so sure. Below this we have 3/4 players in the under 19’s who have a chance of making it but it’s still a little to early to tell.

To be honest with you after the first two games in the UCL I more or less downed tools, switched to the more rotated 11 and played the form team in the league. Reaching the groups was my personal goal and we achieved that. I played the last three games on key highlights which is totally unlike me.

So tactically, I’m not really sure cause first game we went down to ten and the second game Arsenal blew us away. I think I need a 4231 for those games were I can have a double pivot holding in front of the back 4 which is my takeway from it all. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

The noises were always going to come, we are still a relatively small club, especially considering the ability of Hasenhutl, Mijnans, Nagalo, and Egeris I’m surprised it’s took so long. Main thing is am prepared for any movings on. No one is bigger than the club after all!

promising youth players there are a few, Staal has emerged this year as a solid CB and Verbeek is also a fully fledged member of the first team squad now.

Scheffer broke his leg on loan, de bruin has slowed down on loan. EL Dahri and Triep and De bodt are enjoying first team action in league below also.

Verbeek, Staal and Scheffer will make the grade the others am not so sure. Below this we have 3/4 players in the under 19’s who have a chance of making it but it’s still a little to early to tell.

To be honest with you after the first two games in the UCL I more or less downed tools, switched to the more rotated 11 and played the form team in the league. Reaching the groups was my personal goal and we achieved that. I played the last three games on key highlights which is totally unlike me.

So tactically, I’m not really sure cause first game we went down to ten and the second game Arsenal blew us away. I think I need a 4231 for those games were I can have a double pivot holding in front of the back 4 which is my takeway from it all. 

Are you worried by the noises? Given that this club is very much a ‘stepping stone’ in the grand scheme of things. It’d be nice to manage these players again at a new club when ‘fully developed’. 

I too think the use of a double pivot is necessary in my bigger games, especially as I essentially have no central midfield cover due to the aggressiveness of the CM(a) role. As we share a similar ideology (maybe not in passing length), it’s going to be interesting to see what we both build. 

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Are you worried by the noises? Given that this club is very much a ‘stepping stone’ in the grand scheme of things. It’d be nice to manage these players again at a new club when ‘fully developed’. 

I too think the use of a double pivot is necessary in my bigger games, especially as I essentially have no central midfield cover due to the aggressiveness of the CM(a) role. As we share a similar ideology (maybe not in passing length), it’s going to be interesting to see what we both build. 

The noises aren’t a worry, I’ve always known it would come and in the interest of realism would accept bids. I already have done for the Brunic, okoye who moved on. And Mbi who decided to stay.

Everyone has a valuation and if I feel it’s a good deal for the club I’ll take it, as I have lists of suitable replacements in waiting. No one is bigger than the club and I’m not one for keeping unhappy players around (that’s not to say a let them go cheap or try convince them)

Certainly hope that when I do move to pastures new I few of my Merry men will come along at some point!

while our styles contrast in many ways, I think our positional play is very similar we both have a clear idea off how we want to move the opposition to our advantage, as well as third man runs. So it will be nice to see indeed. (Maybe we aren’t so different after all) 

Very frustrating month indeed.  Are you feeling like the woodwork gets hit a bit too much?  Maybe just me, but I've counted runs where my side hits the woodwork at a rate of 10 to 3 or 4 for the opposition on a regular basis.

Still looking decent despite those draws you're only two points back.

Also, I do think @GIMNis right - your side seems to be choosing violence right now...

9 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Very frustrating month indeed.  Are you feeling like the woodwork gets hit a bit too much?  Maybe just me, but I've counted runs where my side hits the woodwork at a rate of 10 to 3 or 4 for the opposition on a regular basis.

Still looking decent despite those draws you're only two points back.

Also, I do think @GIMNis right - your side seems to be choosing violence right now...

Em I can’t see I have noticed it, well up until this game. Should hopefully have next month written up later on tonight, big Rotterdam derby to be included.

My team talks now end with…….

“guys violence is not the answer”

On 25/04/2022 at 15:41, SixPointer said:

Feyenoord sit two ahead with a game in hand,these fine margins are the difference between a title challenge and big four hopes

Just makes the derby game THAT much more important as it stands.

1 hour ago, haier_fm said:

Just makes the derby game THAT much more important as it stands.

I’ve not long finished playing the month. Be writing it up shortly. So probably a few hours away. Was a massive game which required ultimate detail…..

January 2024

e13e063d880976cef72c910473da748a.png

To overcome our city rivals in such a big game is no easy task, it would provide Benedikt Howedes with his first Rotterdam derby success as he is yet to get the better of Arne Slot. The last three derbies ending in draws does breed some optimism.

9e96a49cf2387abf3f766688f2aa2c96.png

It wasn't to be this time around, frustrating doesn't even cut it as we were good value for at least a point. I don't agree that we were carved open as you can see from the XG except for the goal, we had held up well under sustained pressure. Their keeper also got MOM, after a late flurry of saves from our push to get back in the game.

Leonardo was highlighted as a real danger especially his pace and with Nagalo at the african nations and van beek sold, @_Ben_ got his wish and Hasenhutl slotted in at CB. He had a great game as the covering centre back. The frustrating part is Leonardo still managed to net the winner, giving the ball away cheaply leads to a Feyenoord break and the ball is in the back of the net before we know it. 

7b3ea82668ce76b82b7cfae3f5300fd3.png

Losing the ball on the right is the first issue, but the catastrophic error from Bright Arrey-Mbi as he is drawn to the ball, when Hasenhutl has already provided cover, allows Leonardo to run off the back off him unmarked and to tap home. All the hard work and discipline put me down for a moment of madness.

d1c146d76f72de38e1ab5ca90852cf27.png

Bouncing back in some style with three wins on the road, including the league and KNVB double header with Heerenveen. Outscoring the XG in all three games is something I take great pleasure in, after the tactical fine tuning looking to improve our goals this was the area I wanted the biggest improvement this year, so far so good.

We also appear to have gained a little experience in game management and seeing out leads which has been a real issue until now. I seem to have found a few instructions that have mitigated a few issues, mainly lowering mentality to balance and then slowing the game down. It's in its infancy so I'll go into more depth when I have a bigger sample of results.

Eredivisie Table

79241df2c38df5d1e2c859f7e17de8bd.png

Our two wins keeps us within touching distance of the top, 5 points is not a mountain to climb by any stretch of the imagauntion, but we cant afford many more slip ups if the unthinkable is to happen this year.

Feyenoord & PSV dropped points which they have made a bit of a habit of this year so we need to be sure to pounce, Ajax seemed to have gotten their act together and Vitesse have broken from the pack to make it a very clear top 5.

Second best goal difference in the league backs up my earlier happiness, while we are miles off Feyenoord for goals scored we are a lot more solid at the back than them, holding the most clean sheets would point towards us conceding goals in flurries, something i'm going to look to cut it as i become a little more pragmatic tactically, without being to detrimental to my overall philosophy of attacking positional football.

aca37155c67299d679f0ce71100df58a.png

There were only two teams I wanted to avoid in the quater final, one being PSV the other being Ajax. Well you need to beat the best teams to win the best things, also a chance to seek revenge after the killer blow earlier in the season, when we led them 3-0. Tough draw but with 11 v 11, at the Castle i fancy our chances of taking De Boers men out.

Transfer Business

b313fc56e376bc1b73a6a23ea5e7afcb.png

Two out two in. Valenzuela represents a sale value of 7 million euros profit, yes he was good enough but he wasn't happy fighting it out for his place with Hojer and the money is too good to turn down, even for a happy player. Van Beek was another who was unhappy, the emergency off Staal has seen him slip further down the pecking order and he isn't happy to sit around, which at his age is fair enough and again makes a tidy profit.

Olivier Aertssen returns to the club he left five years ago at academy level. The either footed ball playing centre back is a gifted player, however he hasn't seen much first team football and there is no clear pathway like many at AJax, he certainly would have prospered and been a better player under our guidance and the chance of playing time. He costs nothing and he is purely a cover option as I still plan to play Staal ahead of him.

Matheus Pereira is the second Brazilian to join the ranks, thanks to the scouting of Bernardo Motta. He represents another signing based on stats, as the attributes of Victor Kristiansen and his fellow countryman Jorge overshadowed him, as did their price but in the end i think i've gotten the right man as i blend scouting, attributes, stats and cost to get to my man.

b4d8dc59f10de6ee261bc9891aa1b062.png

Unfortunately I lost his whole stats for the last season as the Brazilian league restarted, which is frustrating as I can't get access again (something @Shrewnaldo has been talking about and looking to question SI on).

His average rating of 7.05 over 52 games and 1 goal and a tasty 9 assists is as much as I can give you in terms of insight at this point. While he is a statistical signing it's a combination of this and the attributes as he does boast a DNA score of 134, and with some great traits especially plays one twos something i want my wingbacks doing all the time, playing into the CM before darting down the channel for the return pass.

332a225de054a33564a7852bc6455908.png

12 hours to go on deadline day, big bid for Ugalde who has hit a little purple patch. The deal would net a whopping 9.75 million euros of profit for the Costa rican hitman.

With it being late on coupled with the players on the shortlist perhaps just shy of his level I decided to leave it to the player, adding to the realism. So i accepted the offer, fair price as they would pay over his valuation, i then offered him a new deal to try persuade him to stay therefore leaving it all down to him.

He decided he wanted to stay on, the lure of first team football and probably the fact that Salzbyrg aren't bigger than ourselves sways him. I felt this was the fairest and most realistic way to deal with it. The deal was fair but we had the budget to offer him more wages, so allowed him the freedom to decide.

Edited by SixPointer

I replied to this earlier but seemingly lost a fair few posts in the time that the forum was being updated!

Can’t remember specifically what I said but praised the realism behind that Ugalde deal, how happy I was to see Hassenhutl at centre back and say how far you’ve come against Feyenoord!

You’re certainly not out of the title race. 

33 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I replied to this earlier but seemingly lost a fair few posts in the time that the forum was being updated!

Can’t remember specifically what I said but praised the realism behind that Ugalde deal, how happy I was to see Hassenhutl at centre back and say how far you’ve come against Feyenoord!

You’re certainly not out of the title race. 

Yeah I had posted something back to you as well! Will catch it up tomorrow. I think it’s the most realistic way to deal with it.

clubs had an acceptable offer for you so your free to speak to them……. but we have budget here and we can offer you a improved deal for you to stay on. It’s how I imagine things would be done in real life. Except in the case that the club wanted the money. Or couldn’t afford for whatever reason. In the end the player chooses in real life. 

2c6bf5f44fe48e9004f642ec54a20c5b.png

@_Ben_ 

Dealt with this one the exact same, only this time it's the club captain. You know only too well the transfer window is open until the end of February in Russia which means if he opts to join Zenit it will be down to Staal and Aertssen to cover a big gap until my new target arrives in the summer. Tricky one but it's 250k short of his release clause so it's only fair and I will offer him a new deal to try and persuade him.

fec4be85d1a3d687038bcb0265744690.png

He also sticks around. I have to say a big power of persuasion in the negotiations was the 5-10% sell on clauses, if he were to go for his release clause I would only miss out on just shy of two million pound, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing. Keep my club captain and best centre back, especially with no chance to replace him from the shortlist of targets until summer. It would have given Staal a clear shot at first team football but I think it made sense to try to get the deal done.

Another two months completed should have them written up in the next couple of days.

This really can be the most frustrating game in the world at times……..while still being the most beautiful at the same time :idiot:

February 2025

1aee0b4206458082879d89092d231e57.png

Solid month,which should have been perfect, had it not been for the late goal curse (yes it's a curse now) that has plagued Howedes' men this season.The big positive this time around, we managed to hold off Ajax's comeback and advanced into the semi of the KNVB Beker!

084238321931004ddee8049b6802e45c.png

The FC Twente game fooled me into believing I had solved my late goal issue, a surge in momentum led them to pulling a goal back. I however took action and the adjustments actually led us to creating a few chances and taking back control of the match.

Armed with my new found knowledge when sitting comfortably at 3-1 after going behind early, i thought yes we have this under control, well as you can see i was totally wrong. The result takes the gloss of a Mijnans hatrick and some wonderful attacking football, excellent third man run for the equaliser assisted by Baturina, his CM partner from the overloaded side.

A goal on 79, and a killer blow to our title hopes on 85 minutes as PSV levelled. Notice Axel losing Cody Gakpo at the back post, from my tactics you can see here i made every effort to nullify his threat. A NFB, Man marking PI & OI, closing down of Sambo(crosser). Which makes it all even more frustrating as three points slip yet again in a huge game, that we dominated.

76cc215d772dc9e0e79c592677152050.png

A partial rotation to the squad for the big cup tie, which saw a drab first half, come to life in the second. I have to pay homage to @GIMN, whose Sassuolo tactic certainly gave huge inspiration, that saw us race into a three goal, again, against the Dutch powerhouse.

In the second half I went to a flat 433, and Mattsson on the left of the front line ran wild. Setting up the first, a sublime move, from recovery of the ball by the DM and 4 passes later, that third man run is released in behind to finish. He then bagged himself a brace finishing off a nice move down the left, and then exploiting the space left by Ajax being sucked into an overload on the right.

Switching to a flat front three allowed us to press Ajax’s back three intensely coupled with man marking the double pivot, forcing them to go longer, the back four dominated in the air. The game plan looked bulletproof, until 82 minutes when it looked like lightning would strike twice, however this time we were more determined and saw the game out, albeit in a very nervy fashion.

36bcafc013ae8fd0d7b4f35896994f8f.png

The flat midfield three was utilised again against FC Utrecht. The passing shape that it's forming is really giving me a lot to ponder, 6 diamonds perfectly formed across the pitch, and many more diamonds, gives the ball carrier a minimum of three options which is vital in ball circulation and progression.

Like I said previously, I'm very happy with the Salida shape, but this revelation makes me keen to work on Trident and Conductor. Both are good systems but I feel they lack that clear direction. Salida i know exactly what i want when i want and how to use it, these two could do with being advanced slightly to that level.

Controlled the game for large parts of the first half and second half, and at half time the shackles came off and the breakthrough came. Yet again a late goal threatened to spoil our hard work but we did just about enough to ward off the late pressure and bag a huge three points in the league.

c3246caec0a9292c76b033a2fd39a36f.png

The nail in the preverbal coffin returned against Fortuna, this time it would cost us. The late goal show goes on and now everyone understands why I'm convinced it's a curse, the same patern evloves no matter what i do.

We controlled the game, creating the best chances up until the 84th minute. A break down our left is just defended shambolically and now i don't even consider tactics cause i've tried a number of things and nothing seems to work, am putting it down to the player's character and the CURSE.

• Staying the same and changing nothing and trying to carry on with the momentum
  • Slowing the game down, keeping the ball (lower tempo, narrow width, shorter passing)
  • Lowering the lines and staying in shape (Lower LOE & DL, lower pressing, stay on feet, defend narrow)
  • Time wasting.
  • Adding defensive roles, playing double pivot, dropping wingers..
  • A combination of all changes

A really have done it all, and perhaps the issue is that I'm so wary of the threat, that it's causing me more problems as I am always looking to solve them. Fitness and concentration certainly could be a factor but often we are still in good shape and concentration isn't a real low point within the makeup of the team.

214b59fb341a14787ee82f109d844c04.png

Going forward is a case of scoring enough goals beforehand to cover the threat late on.

5 of the 8 goals we conceded this month have come beyond 80 minutes, that's an incredible 62.5% of the goals conceded, I am at my wits end with it and am very close to accepting  the fact we are just terrible in the last 10 minutes, but my quest to stop it can't end  if we are to become the best version of Sparta Rotterdam!

1cd471487c90fad542f4f56830e8320f.png

Simple question from a journalist and Howedes answer is just as simple, if i knew why it was happening (it's a curse) i would stop it happening no? Therefore it's a curse at the end of the story. (storms out)

Eredivisie Table

7152524b94c48300464e79e1ad35d014.png

6 points off the lead, cements how crucial these late goals are proving to be. Drawn six games and of those six, four have been late equalisers, costing a total of 8 points which would see us sit at the summit. Add into the fact that two of those draws were against PSV and Ajax who rival us at the top end, and it's really tough to take.

The table is beginning to bunch up at the top, even goal difference is starting to come closer together, and everyone in the top five dropped points. Feynoord lost, as did PSV and we failed to capitalise. The main thing is even with those fine margins going against us we are still in the battle and if we can solve the issue (curse) we will really step it up to the big three.

KNVB Beker Semi Final Draw

06b1da709e1e24483b9221eebb6eb51b.png

Avoiding our neighbours was a massive boost in the quest for the cup, our record against them alone is enough to dent any hopes, never mind their quality. Is the Rotterdam derby another curse? :lol:.

The away tie to FC Utrecht will pose enough of an obstacle itself, but it's now getting into those championship rounds and the Sparta faithful are beginning to dream as is Benedikt Howedes.

Edited by SixPointer

another good season....

Late Goals is it because you press too much?

It is happening to my Lecce team as well, but I think the changes to pressing and stamina art part of it. I am using the "Standard" Gengenpress template and almost never stop pressing and the boys just get tired...

7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

another good season....

Late Goals is it because you press too much?

It is happening to my Lecce team as well, but I think the changes to pressing and stamina art part of it. I am using the "Standard" Gengenpress template and almost never stop pressing and the boys just get tired...

Nope it can’t be cause I press to much. This was the first thing i started to alter, for the said reasons.

because I have tried from 70 minutes lowering the press, I’ve went to shutting up shop. It’s happened with a rotated team with fresher legs then the opponent.

I honestly have tried everything I can really think off, without starting a whole new tactical ideal. I’ve went to a 451, Standard DL, lower LOE, defend narrow to make us compact.

On 05/05/2022 at 20:57, SixPointer said:

i've tried a number of things and nothing seems to work

Can feel your pain in this post :(. Late goals are certainly a thing, as Pep found this week. But I've never found it to be a particular problem - sometimes there's nothing you can do (they want it more than you), but mostly I've won more games in the last 5 minutes (and added time) than I lose.

In recent FMs I've played mostly on a "positive" mentality; this year it's been more "balanced". Typically, I play "shorter" passing and either standard or higher tempo, standard or higher LoD/LoE (those are general tactical settings). If I'm defending a lead, or holding on for a draw, I make the following changes:

* lower tempo, to control possession.

* time-wasting to "sometimes".

* tick on "pass into space", to keep the AI honest at the back or hit them on the break when they've over-committed.

It doesn't always work, but I can honestly say my feeling is we score as many late goals as we concede.

Sometimes I might change an attacking role to support, or a support role to defend, but usually the above is enough. If we're really under the cosh I find "shoot on sight" to be helpful as lashing the ball into "row Z" can be a good time-waster. On the other hand, I never drop mentality below "balanced", and never drop my LoD to "lower" - just seems like you're inviting a huge amount of pressure/shots that way.

My opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it :)

8 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Great month mate.The difference from first place isn't so big. Probably you are in the most crucial point of the season.Good luck!

I think we are in with a similar chance as last year. We are scoring more goals which is a big positive as it’s been a weakness previously, but clearly the conceding in big games is an issue.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Can feel your pain in this post :(. Late goals are certainly a thing, as Pep found this week. But I've never found it to be a particular problem - sometimes there's nothing you can do (they want it more than you), but mostly I've won more games in the last 5 minutes (and added time) than I lose.

In recent FMs I've played mostly on a "positive" mentality; this year it's been more "balanced". Typically, I play "shorter" passing and either standard or higher tempo, standard or higher LoD/LoE (those are general tactical settings). If I'm defending a lead, or holding on for a draw, I make the following changes:

* lower tempo, to control possession.

* time-wasting to "sometimes".

* tick on "pass into space", to keep the AI honest at the back or hit them on the break when they've over-committed.

It doesn't always work, but I can honestly say my feeling is we score as many late goals as we concede.

Sometimes I might change an attacking role to support, or a support role to defend, but usually the above is enough. If we're really under the cosh I find "shoot on sight" to be helpful as lashing the ball into "row Z" can be a good time-waster. On the other hand, I never drop mentality below "balanced", and never drop my LoD to "lower" - just seems like you're inviting a huge amount of pressure/shots that way.

My opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it :)

Thanks very much for the input, I like the mention of balanced mentality . I’ve played the next month and it’s something I’ve utilised once getting into a comfortable lead. 

Until then I’ve very much tried to beat my opponent to a pulp and just carry on. But I’ve tried to look at it more realistically and once I notice the opponent has changed to deal with the threat I drop it down a gear or two.

That way we don’t burn out also it give me a chance to crank it up again once the opponent settles. I’ve tried a few of the other things you mentioned as well.

I think one of my issues is I’m looking for that one perfect solution to the problem, the reality is, although it’s a pattern football is dynamic and one game may need one thing while another needs another. So i need to stop being stubborn and be more pragmatic towards it.

you made good points, slowing the game down seems to be key, but I think your spot on about being over cautions and welcoming to much pressure. Especially when My team is used forcing the issues, this is we’re tactical familiarity comes into play, something I had totally overlooked. Case and point Man City as you mention.

City don’t know how to play in a low block as they don’t use it, so I have to use my real life knowledge and apply it to the game. As a CM I hated late one when the back four would drop so deep and leave me chasing shadows and welcoming pressure.

Thanks for the input really gives me a lot to add to my workings, trying to kill the curse is not easy but I feel with advice like this it’s only going to get better.