[FM22] A Day Without Football is a Day Lost

SixPointer

9 minutes ago, gokalpcakir1 said:

Do you use any PI's on the  CONDUCTOR

c6fc4a4d3f1b7939b64b9679a64550f3.png

Both inverted wingers have this, in order to make the pitch as big as possible and stretch the full backs to open the channels up for the AMC's. They are asked to play more risky passes, in order to make them find those runs of the AMC's. Cross less often as am using an F9 and two AMC as my attacking three so am looking for through balls and cut backs rather than crosses.

933b1d50c37d6ef0c45b3a6bb1bf6907.png

The AMC's and false 9 are asked to take more risks, so they can also play each other through balls. They are all told to roam and move into channels to make the movement fluid and less predictable so it's harder for the opponents back line to track them. It helps with the rotations of position thus making overloads and underloads work better. 

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Volante is asked to move into channels and the focus play is pulling the AP towards the left. It’s something I need to keep an eye on. But I don’t mind them overloading together in the middle, that’s why I used the AF to stretch the back line and create a bigger space between the lines. 

Really like this idea, and think it could make a good combo. With a these possession systems there’s less of an issue of “getting in each other’s way” and more of an overload. You still have the front 3 stretching play too.

7 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Really like this idea, and think it could make a good combo. With a these possession systems there’s less of an issue of “getting in each other’s way” and more of an overload. You still have the front 3 stretching play too.

That’s my thinking, will certainly be tweaks and twists still to come I think. Especially considering I’ve never used a volante before but so far I have some good football and results from it. 

I've been reading this thread from the start for a couple of weeks on and off now. Absolutely fantastic job and I've learnt a lot from your tactical posts and pre season reports from the DNA you use. Brilliant reading.

Amazing turnaround with that squad, suprised you managed to shift so many so soon, shouldn't affect the squad too much when the team needs a major shift anyway, I think you'll hopefully start as Ajax should now, fingers crossed.

I had Eric Garcia second season on my Koln squad and although he does many the odd gaff, his value rocketed immediately, so I think you'll get good use of him and make a huge profit pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, Quiche Magnet said:

I've been reading this thread from the start for a couple of weeks on and off now. Absolutely fantastic job and I've learnt a lot from your tactical posts and pre season reports from the DNA you use. Brilliant reading.

Amazing turnaround with that squad, suprised you managed to shift so many so soon, shouldn't affect the squad too much when the team needs a major shift anyway, I think you'll hopefully start as Ajax should now, fingers crossed.

I had Eric Garcia second season on my Koln squad and although he does many the odd gaff, his value rocketed immediately, so I think you'll get good use of him and make a huge profit pretty quickly.

Thanks very much! The first three months with Ajax is complete. But I was extremely busy at the weekend, hopefully some point this week it will be ready.

Garcia looks good business so far. 25 million seems cheap for his attributes. But he hasn’t really settled anywhere until hopefully now. 

Three Months On...............(eventually)

6d333af585a896d51f34ccb1443ff280.png

Just the one defeat in the first three months, the season opener and first competitive game of Howedes new reign. Turned it around quick!

dcbc14c2c1b4e486dfc4f3abac036580.png

Three points off top spot in the Eredivisie after 10, game in hand with PSV up next. Sparta had been leading the way but AZ had just edged it in what already looks like a great title race. Flying in Europe the 433 - 2DM  has proved to be a deadly weapon on the continent.

August 2025

c62f284aee57165752993cee26dede5b.png

The Noord - Hollandse battle was a tough opener and punches landed for AZ as we miss fired, our build up shape was perfect, just lacked the finishing touches. VVV-Venlo and Heracles felt the backlash, finding our clinical side just at the right time.

Very fitting that the first competitive goal of Benedikt Howedes' Ajax revolution was scored by none other than the Maestro Mijanas, a man he has often relied on. A well worked move down the right hand side, in which Hasenhutl played a large part in. Both ex Sparta lads setting the early tone.

Mijnans followed it up with a brace in the ruthless win against Heracles. With two excellent third man runs in the channel, showing exactly what his manager expects from the free 8 roles.

36aa4ace7f8cbdc7bb95c2eae97aed6b.png

Dallas was an inspired signing....... Well he took a really bad injury and his Ajax career was extremely short lived.

September 2025

deb2e4b29d274d2b7e7feb54acc317b0.png

Another derby to start the month, in the shape of De Klassieker, the biggest one in all the Netherlands which never lived up to its billing, however we did more than enough to win the game and kept our great rivals extremely quiet, so a tough one to take.

4a7499fecd5af9523d86d4de43400c44.png

Basel was the first outing for the double pivot and was a huge success, with goals across all the front three and it's already clear to see the central overload in full focus, a great start.

fa5f7e967173448b6e1a73070d642520.png

c25eec568f894c1a6caf3738dccbde52.png

A complete performance against Go Ahead, as I shuffled the pack. Podlech makes a great start while the veteran hits a milestone . This shows the great depth of quality at the club, GAE arent world beaters by any stretch of the imagination but these are games i toiled with at Sparta when i rotated the team.

One huge plus point thus far is how many players are attacking the box in the final moments of our attack, no fewer than five here.

The perfect goal does exist, great ball circulation, pulling the opponent out of shape, wide channel overload, third man half space run on the underload and a great finish to match.

It's no wonder Groningen were completely blown away when Ajax were producing this level of football. Dominant with great postonal play in their 2-3-5 passing shape, a sign that things are really starting to click at Ajax for Howedes.

October 2025

71ca18c10302b481c15b19632956607c.png

Missing a few screenshots here dam keyboard!

AEK took a real beating on their home turf, again the signs of the double pivot proving its effectiveness on the road in Europe (later i'll do more depth as to why).

RKC perhaps made me eat my words a little, as the rotated squad failed to win in a game that we should have completely outscored them according to our XG, disappointing to drop points but also positives to take in our chances created.

Double pivot taking care of Europe, and Volendam collapsing and then some, sending off never helped matters but the damage was already done in all truth. The last game that i played and really everything fell into place.

Meanwhile in the game i missed............

0d1d274e861bba11126c13ea3c70130e.png

20257a1f2c9df96c2c0543dfc3e9204d.gif

The club icon rolled back the years to curl one right into the far corner!

Summary

I have just glanced over this three month period here, I have a lot more depth to add. I feel the fact it's three months and a lot of just results and perfect be wise to cover that i'll break the nitty gritty stuff into the second post.

I'm sorry it's taking so long but vessels have arrived at work which takes away almost all my spare time. But now I'm home for a month. I should be able to pick the pace up again. 

The next post will show at more depth how things are really working after the big move as I go in deeper to the tactical side. Thanks for the patients.

Whichever style of writing works at the time is the right post. 

Sometimes it is very detailed sometimes not as much. It doesn't matter it all works.

I intend to write some much more detailed posts taking inspiration from yours and others threads this summer. 

I try to follow a format because my playing (is the stress reliever) and posting allows me to tell people about it that understand, and time is usually short.

6 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Whichever style of writing works at the time is the right post. 

Sometimes it is very detailed sometimes not as much. It doesn't matter it all works.

I intend to write some much more detailed posts taking inspiration from yours and others threads this summer. 

I try to follow a format because my playing (is the stress reliever) and posting allows me to tell people about it that understand, and time is usually short.

I mean it’s not a short post, but it’s certainly lacking some real detail after three months which I’ll cover shortly before getting back into the save.

I decided with it moving club three months was a good period to get a decent enough sample to provide some key aspects of play. Which I’ll cover next.

Then most likely I’ll return to monthly updates after setting out the base from opening three months. 

53 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Nice start with ajax. Hate it when you start with a defeat but you seem to have come back very well from that. 

Thanks man! It was was a good game, both teams at it so while it was a bad result I could accept it as it was a good performance and AZ also gave us a game and earned the right to at least a draw, in the end they came out with all three points. 

I’ve decided to dump the 3 month more depth. I’ll cover it at 6 months. Back to playing today so hopefully we can get the show back on the road after a break. Cause if I leave it much longer am going to lose interest. Especially when I already have my FM23 save idea lined up. 

20 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I’ve decided to dump the 3 month more depth. I’ll cover it at 6 months. Back to playing today so hopefully we can get the show back on the road after a break. Cause if I leave it much longer am going to lose interest. Especially when I already have my FM23 save idea lined up. 

You gotta complete the challenge before 23 rolls around :)

11 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Up to page 11 now, fell behind and catching up. Fingers are crossed about cup success in page 11!

Thanks man!! A look forward to your opinions once your up to date! 

Page 11 completed! Phew, so much going on and with an exciting proposition to end on.

First bit of business is to offer my congrats on winning the cup :applause:

Moving the midfielders into the attacking slots while bring back the wingers to the midfield and keeping them attacking was an inspired move, helping bring you some visually pleasing highlights (as well as a cup and Champions League football next season).

Well done on earning third and UCL football (maybe :D ). Looking forward to seeing what happened with the vacant Ajax position!

I’ll finish with saying that I enjoyed reading your end of season break down of your signings and your tactical viewpoint :thup:

Edited by Sonic Youth
Er vacant

1 hour ago, Sonic Youth said:

Page 11 completed! Phew, so much going on and with an exciting proposition to end on.

First bit of business is to offer my congrats on winning the cup :applause:

Moving the midfielders into the attacking slots while bring back the wingers to the midfield and keeping them attacking was an inspired move, helping bring you some visually pleasing highlights (as well as a cup and Champions League football next season).

Well done on earning third and UCL football (maybe :D ). Looking forward to seeing what happened with the vacant Ajax position!

I’ll finish with saying that I enjoyed reading your end of season break down of your signings and your tactical viewpoint :thup:

Thanks. High praise indeed. 

I love the tactical aspect of the game so I try to go into as much detail as possible without boring people as I can drone on. Now I’m trying to add a more statistical feel into it to get the perfect blend.

The shift in the conductor midfield is one of my most inspired tactical moves. The third man runs in the channels is phenomenal, the IW’s open the channel and the F9 pulls the CB’s and then the AMS attack on the blind side opposite!

Look forward to your thoughts as you continue to catch up. 

1 hour ago, DavidBeckham said:

Great to hear mate! Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks man. The next three months is almost complete, but im off on holiday for three weeks as of Monday! The first holiday in three years so I doubt I’ll have an update out till after that.

Don’t think the wife would be happy me taking the laptop along after spending 6 month trips away for two years during covid for her first holiday to be me playing football manager on the balcony 🤣🤣

On 25/06/2022 at 01:18, SixPointer said:

Thanks man. The next three months is almost complete, but im off on holiday for three weeks as of Monday! The first holiday in three years so I doubt I’ll have an update out till after that.

Don’t think the wife would be happy me taking the laptop along after spending 6 month trips away for two years during covid for her first holiday to be me playing football manager on the balcony 🤣🤣

No worries mate, enjoy ur holidays and have a good break!

I’ve caught up.

Ajax are going to clean up! :D

Page 12 was a hoot, very nostalgic too. Brought back memories of taking over Liverpool in an earlier version and flipping half the squad because of the same reasons. Was a fun experience! That game was big 5 European adventure. Funny thing is, I can’t remember how that game finished except Arsenal beating me for my first loss halfway through the season. I feel you’ve already begun that way but got rid of that pesky first loss already :D

So much money spent and so much transfers brought in too! :eek:

The balance of the squad looks promising moving forward, and already highlights how your squad will look once you’ve fully completed your statistical analysis for transfers (and for transfers). I guess the big thing this season is to keep the Ajax job at a minimum, while completing both the clubs objectives and/or unlocking the next stage in your journey (probably the same thing).

Having said all of that above, it will be curious to see what level your players have reached by the end of the season and how your thoughts about how they fit into your tactics sit with you (like your 3/6 month or whenever you feel like it should be if ever). And does this change how you see your tactic, or do you have grades after this for different league levels (as above, totally at your discretion). 

Going to enjoy this next stage :thup:

On 26/06/2022 at 10:42, Sonic Youth said:

I’ve caught up.

Ajax are going to clean up! :D

Page 12 was a hoot, very nostalgic too. Brought back memories of taking over Liverpool in an earlier version and flipping half the squad because of the same reasons. Was a fun experience! That game was big 5 European adventure. Funny thing is, I can’t remember how that game finished except Arsenal beating me for my first loss halfway through the season. I feel you’ve already begun that way but got rid of that pesky first loss already :D

So much money spent and so much transfers brought in too! :eek:

The balance of the squad looks promising moving forward, and already highlights how your squad will look once you’ve fully completed your statistical analysis for transfers (and for transfers). I guess the big thing this season is to keep the Ajax job at a minimum, while completing both the clubs objectives and/or unlocking the next stage in your journey (probably the same thing).

Having said all of that above, it will be curious to see what level your players have reached by the end of the season and how your thoughts about how they fit into your tactics sit with you (like your 3/6 month or whenever you feel like it should be if ever). And does this change how you see your tactic, or do you have grades after this for different league levels (as above, totally at your discretion). 

Going to enjoy this next stage :thup:

Thanks for the input mate.

The balance of the first team is certainly better than when I found it. What was just as shocking as the old players that had been stockpiled was the jong squad.

The older players clearly blocked a path and effected a lot of their growth. Their is so many players that probably could have made the grade had they been given a chance at a younger age. But now at 20 they have lacked crucial development. So there is about 10 players who are reasonable standard for the league but not first team class which is a shame. Something I will be looking to fix. 

I have played another 3 months but I leave on holiday today to Italy for 17 days. So the write up is a fair bit away. But I plan on doing more of a deep dive into the squad and systems of play as an overview. 

13 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

As fun as this can be, running around in Italy sounds better :D

Enjoy your break :thup:

Thanks bud. 1389DC5B-FCE1-43E1-B088-5B181DE8C1A2.thumb.jpeg.f711f1b6f92d81d640d1a379f920bb86.jpeg

Some light reading to tie in with the destination and my FM23 plan 👀

5 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks bud. 1389DC5B-FCE1-43E1-B088-5B181DE8C1A2.thumb.jpeg.f711f1b6f92d81d640d1a379f920bb86.jpeg

Some light reading to tie in with the destination and my FM23 plan 👀

Another amazing read on a similar subject is "A Season with Verona" by Tim Parks - check it out if you can!

55 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Another amazing read on a similar subject is "A Season with Verona" by Tim Parks - check it out if you can!

I agree this with and whilst we’re throwing out Italian books - ‘The Miracle of Castel di Sangro’ is well worth a read, particularly if you’re a fan/fan remember turn of the century Serie A as fondly as I do!

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I agree this with and whilst we’re throwing out Italian books - ‘The Miracle of Castel di Sangro’ is well worth a read, particularly if you’re a fan/fan remember turn of the century Serie A as fondly as I do!

Nothing like late 90s/ early 00s Serie A tbh. 

European football as a whole really needs the Italian clubs to be stronger again. Let's hope it happens!

6 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I’ve got that. It’s a very interesting read. I should reread it :thup:

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

I’ll have to check these out. Further research is always warranted although the plan is in place I want more knowledge.

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Nothing like late 90s/ early 00s Serie A tbh. 

European football as a whole really needs the Italian clubs to be stronger again. Let's hope it happens!

This is the plan! But my plan is only to Manage teams from the notoriously weaker south! I’m currently waking up in the city that houses arguably the biggest of all the southern clubs, Naples.  So of course I’ll be visiting the stadium. Before tomorrow when we head down the amalfi coast.

I wish I knew about these other books. I brought inverting the pyramid for my second book. Something I’ve been planning to read for some time. 

Edited by SixPointer

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

I brought inverting the pyramid for my second book. Something I’ve been planning to read for some time. 

Edited 53 minutes ago by SixPointer

Great Book for an overall history of the soccer tactics. It will give you lots of ideas for saves.

CF321FF7-66E8-4D39-97FD-F978EBF92636.thumb.png.9bc77e87dda4e0de50f4fef0214d42d1.png
A.S.D. Sorrento‘s ground today! Serie D side. A real possibility for a starting place in my FM23 idea the battle of the south vs north Italy! Got myself a top as well for good measure.

picturesque stadium in a picturesque town!

I recommend: Brilliant Orange by David Wimmer (about Dutch football though).

I’ve been meaning to read Zonal Marking by Michael Cox. I should reread Inverting The Pyramid too. The Verona and Castel Di Sangro as well are on a list. Bergkamp’s book too. And  Football Hackers by Christoph Biermann. Pick one and read it it I should.

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I recommend: Brilliant Orange by David Wimmer (about Dutch football though).

I’ve been meaning to read Zonal Marking by Michael Cox. I should reread Inverting The Pyramid too. The Verona and Castel Di Sangro as well are on a list. Bergkamp’s book too. And  Football Hackers by Christoph Biermann. Pick one and read it it I should.

Brilliant orange would have been ideal for this years research! Be starting inverting the pyramid in the the next couple of days!

On 07/07/2022 at 23:10, SixPointer said:

CF321FF7-66E8-4D39-97FD-F978EBF92636.thumb.png.9bc77e87dda4e0de50f4fef0214d42d1.png
A.S.D. Sorrento‘s ground today! Serie D side. A real possibility for a starting place in my FM23 idea the battle of the south vs north Italy! Got myself a top as well for good measure.

picturesque stadium in a picturesque town!

Love the colors on the seats, they are Milan-esque!

Fun coming back from my own business and travels to see your stadium tourism.

Once again - can’t believe that you’d spend your time off work with your wife and not just playing/writing about FM in the hotel room all day! 

16 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Fun coming back from my own business and travels to see your stadium tourism.

Once again - can’t believe that you’d spend your time off work with your wife and not just playing/writing about FM in the hotel room all day! 

Don’t think I would have a wife if I done such things haha. I’m lucky she doesn’t mind being dragged around cities to stadiums. 

8 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Don’t think I would have a wife if I done such things haha. I’m lucky she doesn’t mind being dragged around cities to stadiums. 

Amen to that! I drag mine to watch a live game in every country we go to. 

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Amen to that! I drag mine to watch a live game in every country we go to. 

Likewise. Although she enjoys it. It usually comes with a compromise of me doing something she enjoys 🤣

Good times all.  I'm actually lucky to have a wife that not only thinks my FM stuff is "adorable" and "fun", but she also loves football.  Not quite like I do, but we actually met playing football (she was an excellent no-nonsense full-back for the women's team in a club I played on) so she gets it.

(Still would murder me if I played FM the whole time while on vacation, obviously)

1 hour ago, 13th Man said:

Good times all.  I'm actually lucky to have a wife that not only thinks my FM stuff is "adorable" and "fun", but she also loves football.  Not quite like I do, but we actually met playing football (she was an excellent no-nonsense full-back for the women's team in a club I played on) so she gets it.

(Still would murder me if I played FM the whole time while on vacation, obviously)

I think everyone would get murdered if they took FM on holiday and played it the whole time 🤣

On 16/07/2022 at 19:30, SixPointer said:

B1E00012-612E-4A76-8CBA-694848C84045.thumb.png.b6b0a01e0ddf62158e6c817ce624cf6d.png66C17AD7-7184-4C10-A575-D2B53373656E.thumb.jpeg.a437b8e6f0109e1cedd9167c8edf85d8.jpeg

The last day of the holiday! Stadio Arechi in Salerno completes the tours! Again couldn’t get access. Similar to Napoli. Will definitely be back to one or the other to take a game in. 

Fitting end to the holiday. Welcome back mate!

8 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Fitting end to the holiday. Welcome back mate!

Thanks man. Just finished December so am now at the half way point with my first season of Ajax. 

Starting the write up now. Struggled a little to get into the save after being away from it so long. If it wasn’t for the challenge I would have been tempted to start a fresh tbh. So hopefully it kicks in after the write up and kick on and chase trophies