[FM22] A Day Without Football is a Day Lost

SixPointer

16 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Always love the tactics heavy posts! Love the thinking and how it works in practice. 
Your last two saves are making me miss my 4-3-3 systems!

Seems like things are really clicking at the moment.

Now I’ve worked out how to do links instead of loads of sceeenshots it looks a lot cleaner as well so it’s not all over the place. Makes it more enjoyable and easier to read I think. 

yeah everything is coming together nicely I still definitely need a third system but I won’t have any real time for testing and tweaking it until preseason. 

Making you miss 433 I’m doing everything in my power to resist a back 3 as the third system. I deserve a medal considering the WCB role being added which I was trying to create fir years. Now more than ever you can create cryuff’s and van gaal systems. 

I'm not sure how complete the Pompey players are to play them systems yet but it would do no harm working on them.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/ 

If I was going back to my back three ways this is the things I would base from. 

16 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Amazingly good write up! I must say that, even with a massive increase in tactics, I'm still feeling very inflexible. I am absolutely going to scour through your posts again and again looking for where you get your clues from. In the most previous Ural game I played, I moved to a different shape to counter something I saw and it came off; the feeling is great! Furthermore, the month was clearly great for your long term aims here!

Thanks man very high praise. I usually do a pure tactical post once a year in the tactics section but I’m just trying to in cooperate into my career updates, I have enough on my plate with the challenge I’ve set myself especially for someone who plays the game at snails pace…

My first tactical thinking always comes from real life examples, wether it be a specific manager, style or certain traits in systems. I done a good piece on Gasperini at Atalanta.

After years off struggling i real deep dived into learning what does what in the game and then used real life replications to help me under what I wanted to see on the pitch. It gave me a base to build from.

The end of FM21 and now FM22 I committed to positional play and further decided the DNA and build my own training for the first time and the enjoyment is incredible. 

For me in the game there is no better feeling than what you describe, either seeing something from scouts, analysis and putting it to use or seeing something in game and changing it and it works.

This why when I’m first building tactics i watch on comprehensive highlights and on 2D so I can see everyone’s positions etc. Once Im happy with systems like now I watch the first 15 minutes in comprehensive and if I like what I see and things are happening from each team that i thought I will switch to extended. Mainly as I’m trying to speed up in aid of the challenge.

Tactics to me are like your stats and spreadsheets although now after reading a few people like yourself, @Shrewnaldo @MattyLewis11 it’s made me really start to look more into these areas and gets my brain working in a different way!

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

The Tactical Write up was fantastic. Your 4-2-3-1 has my mind churning with ideas to try with the "Irish Bayern"

Howedes is on track I think..... just need a trophy and a Big Job afterwards!

The 4-2-3-1 is defo still in its infancy hopefully it will be refined in the pre season.

Really need to start making tracks in the KNVB Cup it’s the first hurdle and both seasons it’s been a huge failure. 

19 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

The 4-2-3-1 is defo still in its infancy hopefully it will be refined in the pre season.

Really need to start making tracks in the KNVB Cup it’s the first hurdle and both seasons it’s been a huge failure. 

Next time you attempt this challenge start in Portugal - they have 2 domestic cups like England :brock:

46 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Next time you attempt this challenge start in Portugal - they have 2 domestic cups like England :brock:

To be honest the challenge came about after I had already decided on managing in Holland. It’s one of my favourite leagues. I do want to use my 5/6/7 seasons at Sparta as well.

Some great in-depth posts. Reading on the phone doesn’t do them justice. Enjoyed how you flex from one point to another, and how your team can transition from one side to the other sweeping around the back if an impasse was reach.

Curious how this doesn’t seem to need so much flair and vision to achieve this level of movement, or is it relative to the level of the league and the base quality of the players needed to achieve success here?

24 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

To be honest the challenge came about after I had already decided on managing in Holland. It’s one of my favourite leagues. I do want to use my 5/6/7 seasons at Sparta as well.

Fair enough. I definitely do love the Dutch league and Sparta was a good choice.

36 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Oh, and it always feels like Sparta embody the forward nature of the Spartan military, always on the front foot :D

I LIKE IT! If we have the ball they can’t score and the best form of defence is attack 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59954007

@SixPointercheck out this article, you may like it! @13th Manyou too since you are on direct talking terms with Cruyff ;) 

Strange you say this, as they were one of my other choices along with VVV-Venlo. But both were a division too low.

Ruben Jongkind is another big player along with Jonk. Both were massive in the plan. 
In game I’ve been trying to poach Jongkind. But I feel he’s not represent great. But he is the HOYD responsible for bringing through Hasenhutl. 

I’ll have a read of the article after work today 👍🏻

Edited by SixPointer

On 24/01/2022 at 01:45, SixPointer said:

I’m doing everything in my power to resist a back 3 as the third system. I deserve a medal considering the WCB role being added which I was trying to create fir years. Now more than ever you can create cryuff’s and van gaal systems. 

I'm not sure how complete the Pompey players are to play them systems yet but it would do no harm working on them.

https://spielverlagerung.com/2016/03/25/retro-analysis-1992-european-cup-final-barcelona-10-sampdoria/

https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/29/1995-cl-final-afc-ajax-ac-milan-10/ 

If I was going back to my back three ways this is the things I would base from. 

You definitely deserve a medal.  I didn't have your mental fortitude - my plan for FM22 was to (probably) return to 4-3-3, but then the WCBs came out and...well...I couldn't resit.  Next save - which is still a long ways away at this point.

Pompey is on its way - and it's definitely a long term project - but Benjani's having to do some funky things to make it play somewhat like Total Football, but I'll definitely check out those links for inspiration going forward.  As I've mentioned, Total Football is relatively new for me (and Benjani) and something I kind of stumbled on.

Looking forward to your continued journeys in the land of back fours.

8 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59954007

@SixPointercheck out this article, you may like it! @13th Manyou too since you are on direct talking terms with Cruyff ;) 

Love that article. It's the kind of article that inspires me to do saves. I did know about Jonk and Jongkind being there from my research for clubs to go to. I also have Micky van de Ven on loan, and i was hoping that 
Brian Plat, Damon Mirani, Calvin Twigt, Mike Eerdhuijzen would all be of a higher standard, especially Eerdhuijzen who was tipped in a lot of dutch football articles but he was too slow.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47961674

A similar sort of article to the one that inspired my team selection for when I did my Atalanta tactic.

Header.jpg.6303670b88914ef75d53c3bc09c1fb44.jpg

March 2023

fe8215d7013862e061f82ff51ffc6f83.png

Another great month, domestically anyway. CSKA proved one step too far for the Euro Conference 11, I was tempted to mix the sides up but I felt they had earned their right to travel to the Russian capital and with the distance to travel and the desire to keep to winning ways on the domestic front I opted for the usuals. Three league wins followed which vindicated the decision, sad to bow out but definitely a successful first Euro campaign for Benedikt Howedes.

1b70e47860e7ddf24adbfc24058dc954.png

CSKA in Moscow was always a tough task even at full strength.The scouts said they would shape up in a 4-4-2 which meant the Conductor with its ability to vastly overload the centre of the pitch would be my choice of tactic. An early goal from a corner scuppered any game plan and the home side was ruthless while we were toothless, as we missed a few good chances. We stuck to our principles of trying to play the right way which led to us opening them up but Van de Berg crashed it off the bar with a chance to make it 1-1.

Almere City made us work for our three points there was no doubt about that, while Thy missed a penalty he made up for it a few minutes later getting on the end of a Brunic corner and in the end the set play was the difference. The result again makes me think about a final system to really counter everything. They set up in a 4-4-4-1 which left me debating what system suited best. In the end I opted for the Conductor and looked to overload the centre, however Almere dominated the early stages and I needed to switch it up. The switch did throw up a very interesting pass map which gives food for thought of blending the two systems together.

Vitesse were in town and I really wanted revenge after we domainted them and they hammered us 3-0 with three goals in 15 minutes just before halftime. They came boasting the same system and I knew they were defensively strong centrally from the analyst, but this time I was prepared for an all out assault on their flanks with Salida. 3-0 up and cruising they never looked in the game until the 81st minute when I was caught napping as they switched to a 4-2-3-1 and before I noticed and sorted our systems they had 2 goals in two minutes. I really kicked myself for it as its something i pride myself on. Three points and a dominant performance and sweet revenage nevertheless.

A trip to FC Utrecht is never an easy task and I was under no illusions that this would be a tough match regardless of our incredible form. As expected both teams had chances and the game twisted and turned, very much a game of two halves as you can see from the match momentum. The timing of the goal was absolutely crucial, making our pressure on either side of halftime count. Utrecht chucked everything at us from there on in but we held on and secured a massive three points.

I think it's clear from the Almere and Utrecht games that we have become more stubborn as a side, not only winning on the road which was a problem before but winning when we are not at our best. The early season was plagued with inconsistency especially away from Het Kasteel so it is very pleasing to see an upturn here, still a long way away from dominating sides regularly on the road but it's a results business and that is what we are doing well at the minute.

Eredivisie Table

adcc1f27088e4a4c38a256ab7351cbe6.png

The upturn in form now has us breathing down the necks of PSV, a draw in their last game has provided us a glimmer of hope. AZ and FC Twente are in good form themselves and with both of them visiting The Castle on either side of a trip to Ajax i've got to say i think they must win. Our noisy neighbours Feyenoord had a few hiccups this month and lost ground on Ajax in the title race, three points doesn't seem much but AJax are in a rich vein of form. The best defence in the league at this stage is something to be proud of especially for how we set up, the goals scored is getting better but a far cry from that team from Amsterdam.

Edited by SixPointer

13 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Love that article. It's the kind of article that inspires me to do saves. I did know about Jonk and Jongkind being there from my research for clubs to go to. I also have Micky van de Ven on loan, and i was hoping that 
Brian Plat, Damon Mirani, Calvin Twigt, Mike Eerdhuijzen would all be of a higher standard, especially Eerdhuijzen who was tipped in a lot of dutch football articles but he was too slow.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47961674

A similar sort of article to the one that inspired my team selection for when I did my Atalanta tactic.

Yes I remember this article as well, and your thread was fantastic!

It was another BBC article that inspired my Hungarian adventure last year :) 

Strong form in the league mate, keep it up

10 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Really looks like you're mixing it with the 'other teams' in the Netherlands now. But it looks like, as you'd expect, Ajax are just another step beyond. Is your success starting to attract unwanted attention from bigger clubs for your players?

Yeah still a gap from the elite/title challenge. I expect PSV to finish strong and close the gap on Feyenoord and Ajax.

em… I’ve had a few players being sniffed at but nothing solid.
Mijnans signed a new deal when Hamburg where interested with a 16m release clause. 
Okoye has Norwich’s attention as does Mbi but both have 12m release clause. 
Emegha is being watched by PSV but I have a trigger extension on him.

So the interest is coming but nothing formal as off yet and I should stand to make some decent money. I have however started to work on replacements to identify for when the inevitable comes. I’ll be using some of your techniques to help me. 

5 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

You can see the progress this season with how your defence is the best in type league.

Now you’ve only got to find more goals on top of keeping defensive solidity. No sweat!

Definitely, I think if we could be that little more clinical we would be in great shape. As we do create chances. Don’t concede and you don’t get beat is not the philosophy but it’s always a crucial part of being a good team but I think it a by product of trying to dominate the ball and play on the front foot! 

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Yes I remember this article as well, and your thread was fantastic!

It was another BBC article that inspired my Hungarian adventure last year :) 

Strong form in the league mate, keep it up

thanks my man! I love when articles like that inspire! It’s often what turns my head and makes me start new saves :lol: (not this year)

Nice form. Seems like you’re making multiple systems work by keeping the style/philosophy the same but emphasizing/attacking different parts of the pitch. 
Also, going to comment on the articles you linked in my own thread sometime soon, both nice breakdowns.

1 hour ago, 13th Man said:

Nice form. Seems like you’re making multiple systems work by keeping the style/philosophy the same but emphasizing/attacking different parts of the pitch. 
Also, going to comment on the articles you linked in my own thread sometime soon, both nice breakdowns.

Yeah that’s the goal, too have multiple systems but with subtle tweaks to offer a threat in a different way but while adhering to the philosophy. 

Header.jpg.40a157a959568ece7aaa2017aa22a54e.jpg

April 2023

077e92559575e3cd39324c8db8596bb8.png

All good things must come to an end, i thought that it would be the case this month with the first three fixtures being tough. Not to be too sadden 5 points from those first three games was a good return especially when backed up with a very uncharacteristic away annihilation albeit visiting bottom of the league, The away issue raised its head in the last game. All in all still a solid month as we remain unbeaten but it could have been a whole lot better.

fe46dce2aad6d23868f4a5aa968e310a.png

I wasn't joking when I said it could have been better. I think the term should have been actually more fitting. Outscoring every opponent on XG yes including AJax at the Johan Cruyff Arena, who were the only team to dominate the ball more than us. Had we been that little bit more clicnal we could be sitting here with 13 points instead of 17, if you throw in a 90+2 equalizer from FC twente it really should have been 15 points although they deserved their point. Should of, could of, would of, all ifs buts and maybes , if you don't put the ball in the onion bag you don't win!

AZ (H) 1-0

A team hot on our tails and in good form themselves I knew I had to get this one right from the get go, starting with Salida on the positive press setting we settled into the game nicely but it was clear our opponents had decided to sit off us. After 5 minutes I moved onto the aggressive attack setting and things really started to happen, we were very unfortunate to be ahead after dominating the first 45. More of the same required on a on 54 minutes some nice build up play on the right overloading them half space it set up a chance and after a lucky break in the box Emegha took his chance.

The fact AZ liked to push their wingbacks on made me opt for the salida system as I looked to overload them and pin them back, it became so much of a dilemma for them that it really nulfied their threat especially the left back who really had a lot to contend with. The right back was a lot more willing to advance which often left space for Emegha to exploit and arrive late. The pass map again shows clear diamonds and triangles but also shows how much more the right hand side was used to push back the opponent.

A clear example of the right side overloading their left and creating a great chance, also it shows the more direct flavoir to early build up on the higher mentality. After the initial advance into the opponent's half it becomes more measured but still has that direct impact in the end once the opponent's shape is disjointed

dominant perfomance as we afforded our opponents very little in the way of a threat, something I was very shocked at considering the calibre of opponent and what was at stake. Benedikt Howedes and his system really targeted AZ’s  area of strength and turned it into a huge weakness.

AJAX (A) 0-0

Last time out at home I felt we deserved a lot more than the 1-0 defeat so this time I was planning to have a real go and get after the Dutch giants from the off. They set up in their 4-2-3-1 with aggressive wing backs, this time i didn't feel i could overload them as i knew they would dominate large parts of the game. So the conductor came into play and the man marking scheme was set up on each wing back like I had done against PSV. The analyst report stated they had struggled centrally to attack centrally only entering 9 times out of 74, stopping the flanks and we had a chance especially with our central duo pinning the CM's.

The plan worked. It's not very often a team will go to the Johan cryuff arena and look more likely to score than the home side through the whole game, XG alone points towards us having made a real game of this not so much the fact we created better chances the fact they never really created any. Our high press caused them real problems which was clear to see early on as we nearly scored in the 6th minute, 4 players fully committed to the press with the 5th man taking the more advanced pivot. 

707191b0f6490f6517ac55d6e6ca10f0.png

This may just be the greatest pass map of all, The perfect shape for passing combinations 2-3-5 with 4 clear diamonds and several triangles. I think the great man Johan himself would have been proud to see a team visit his church and set up postionaly like so. It's all very well looking at this and saying yes nice shape but was it effective if we look through some of the chances created it's clear to see that it really did open Ajax up a good few times.

6e0c98a4f20ff11dbe0e2ec3304b9d44.gif

A fluid move where the ball is worked from the left flank into the half space and then shifted to the other mezzala changing the angle of attack, Emegha coasts in between wing back and centre back with a lovely run and the Iceman slips him in delightfully he should really score but it shows how working the ball from side to side shifting the defence can be lethal. Ajax number 5 is drawn to Mijnans after he plays his pass and runs off the marker which opens up the space for Emegha's run.

The first real big chance of the match as nice play down the right sends the iceman down the channel he picks out his midfield partner who looks to slot it but Thy gets in the way. Another real chance on the counter from a corner but Thy couldn't find a finish this was probably the best chance of the match, but there was more drama in the dying embers of the game as Thy had a chance to snatch all 3 points at the death. Thy could have got himself a double and got out the way of the potential opening goal, he did however work his socks off in the press.

FC Twente (H) 1-1

Scout and analyst reports tell me that they will set up in a 4231 and pointed to a team who liked to attack the flanks along with being very solid defensively through the centre. Their RWB was very adventurous and their main creator sees this as another chance to exploit the space behind him by adding a focus play down the left. All things pointed to a switch back to Salida and to match their aggressive flank. It also allowed me to deploy a man marking system on the attacking mid who looked to break beyond the central striker, the half back would be the man to stop his progress.

The pass map again shows a great shape and also shows the favouritism to the left hand side, i love the cross that the half back finds himself in and him being central to both the middle diamonds, it's a huge feature of each system that the 6 is the heartbeat of the team linking everything just like the great man Pep was in Johan Cruyff's system. We controlled possession but at times it was very passive. In the second half I switched up to the aggressive attack and started to go after the visitors, until that point the momentum shifted from either side.

88 minutes and a direct move down the left finally pays off, a great ball in from Micky Van de Ven is badly defended and Lennerrt Thy makes no mistake this time and buries it into the back of the net. FC Twente is going to pile on the pressure now, so I decided to shut up shop. As the centre back is allowed to breeze forward and then find the AMC's feet he pivots and catches the run of the IF and for the first time in a Sparta top Hasenhutl gets caught out and Sparta pay the price. Hindsight is great but i should have just rode it out so late and the fact we had been on top, but then you don't and it can happen catch 22. Poor goal as three players are given to much room.

SC Cambuur (A) 0-3

On the face of it the result and performance looks very routine and although we dominated large parts of the game again our finishing was lacking, only 9 shots on target from 24 but more worrying all the goals came from set plays. Now bottom of the league can always be a banana skin and it's just as well I take my time to set well thought out set play routines mainly for two of the three goals.

A lovely delivered free kick to the back post from Van Den Berg for Thy to head home and sent us on our way after a very nervy opening. Van Den Berg was at it again this time with a sumptuous left foot freekick right into the top corner, a thing of real beauty. My personal favourite and the reason why you should always have a man lurking on the opposite post that you aim for when setting up corners, as Dardai heads in one on the line after Mbi wins the initial header.

Willem II (A) 1-1

Coming up against the 4-1-4-1 again a system that caused issues previously, this time I would be ready. I knew they would be strong centrally due to the shape and the analyst's information backs me up on that. I wasn't sure what system would be used but the plan was to start on the aggressive attack regardless, with the opponent having two banks of four it was crucial that the ball was circulated quickly to create openings. Again a mixture of both systems makes a great in possession shape and offers lots of options for the ball, which again gets my creativity flowing. It also shows both can be used in tandem very easily which is crucial to the flexibility. While we dominated the game almost throughout we didn't really start to create any real chances till after conceding a sloppy goal which is clear from our XG ratings.

The equaliser is the Conductor at its very best, the deep build up play is patient as the ball circulates between the RCB, IWB and Regista leading the AMC on a wild chase, the ball is the progressed to the flank where a clear overload start to take shape the ball is worked into the CF who turns to face the game.

08a159284c2493c9c8ed4dc8f16a4ea5.gif

The right hand side overload does its job and pulls the Willem II defence over to the left, The RCB for them actually takes a step towards the overload at a crucial point and opens up the space between  him and the full back for Mijnans to exploit. The Iceman picks out the third man run of his fellow mezzala and he latches onto the pass to fire the ball home. A superb move capped off nicely with positional play at the heart of it, overload and then exploit.

Eredivisie Table

36e3d2ce16063aba2b75549f4aeffeaf.png

Timing is everything and It's really unfortunate timing to lose the winning streak as PSV had a mixed month as well, the crucial points dropped in games we should have won have cost us third place at the end of the month. Three games to go so it is all still to play for, they won the KNVB Cup so they are already in the Europa league am not sure if that will affect our position getting in. I'll need to read the rules next time I play. Ajax hold a decent gap with three to go and you would expect them to wrap the title up. FC Twente cant be ruled out just yet in the race for 3rd/4th but AZ's poor month rules them out.

Edited by SixPointer

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I think the great man Johan himself would have been proud to see a team visit his church and set up postionaly like so.

Benjani just checked with Cruyff himself and it’s been confirmed - even he agrees that’s a glorious passing map.

Good stuff overall even with the disappointments with draws. Still building, but it’s looking good so far.

8 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Tight battle for 3rd place! Although I guess the league should get an extra European qualification spot now. Very impressed you managed to go toe for toe with Ajax too.

Looking at the ranking we should jump up a place this year which means definitely next year but unsure this year. I’ll need to double check when am back on. 
Thanks the return fixture and the recent run of results gave me the confidence just to go after them. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Exciting end to the season, with results both better and less than expected. Still placed well to take advantage of any slips from PSV. Just got to do well with Sparta’s business :thup:

Certainly better placed than last season and all I can ask for is improvement, but can’t be complacent cause 4th isn’t sealed yet and if we take our foot of the gas it could see a great season fall apart.

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Benjani just checked with Cruyff himself and it’s been confirmed - even he agrees that’s a glorious passing map.

Good stuff overall even with the disappointments with draws. Still building, but it’s looking good so far.

Glad to get the seal of approval from the gods! Yes mate I’m being over critical perhaps but it’s the manner of the draws that make it frustrating, Ajax we had more than enough chances but had you offered me a point before hand I would have jumped at it. Late goal is sore one especially against a challenger. Then a sloppy goal cost us in probably the most dominant performance off the month. 

4 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

It seems you have problems with ta "smaller" opponent's. Your x-goals compared with the scoreline looks normal, probably creating chances is the main problem? 

We are creating chances, a lot more than last season we just seem to be less efficient which was one of our plus points last season. 

22 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Glad to get the seal of approval from the gods! Yes mate I’m being over critical perhaps but it’s the manner of the draws that make it frustrating, Ajax we had more than enough chances but had you offered me a point before hand I would have jumped at it. Late goal is sore one especially against a challenger. Then a sloppy goal cost us in probably the most dominant performance off the month. 

Totally get what you're saying - I often find draws more frustrating than loses!  Especially those ones against big teams when you feel like you deserve the win.

Header.jpg.0bb90f39f27057734b2839588f8289fc.jpg

May 2023

0c93ec370e429ca1f06ff768270d8b9c.png

The level of the fixtures only added to the spectacle, with both teams having different obstacles in their way. Sparta have two home games against relegation battlers that i would be very disappointed to not take anything less than six points from, home form has been a real strong point again this season and it needs to carry us over the line as a trip to De Kuip looks like an incredibly tough way to end the season with them chasing Ajax. 

PSV on the other hand don't really have a stand out game but gathered together they make for a very tricky finale, Vitesse and AZ away from home will be no walk in the park while i expect them to win all three games with the pressure we have put on them it could tell.

be517747f094cafb21f9e6b61eed757a.png

56c9d5f613abacdcd95dff92e9a691d0.png

That couldn't have gone much better, Vitesse blew away the giants from Eindhoven with a 4-1 win and we held up our end of the bargain dispatching Fortuna with a first class performance which now sees them all but relegated. AJax and Feynoord both win which keeps the gap at 4 points. It's really now or never for our city rivals.

It comes at a price as Nagalo's season comes to an abrupt end. Sven van Beek will step up now and see off the remaining fixtures, a potential famous return to De Kuip.

3b1c4ec923e19f064bef81f5933c68dc.png

Well it's going to the wire! PSV get back to winning ways at home, While Sparta take care of their business. Ajax are crowned champions after crushing 6-0 win against AZ and Feyenoord succumbed to a 4-0 defeat, hopefully this should aid our cause going into the last match as they now have nothing to play for.

c485991181fd49f298039b7f9b8574ff.png

The grand finale of the 2023 would be a Rotterdam derby infront on over 50,000 the prize is a place in either the Europa league or the Europa conference.

5b6292325b55b9a56b18de7a6d31a6fa.png

Howedes Heartbreak!

PSV won on the road to AZ scoring the winner 8 minutes before Feyenoord equalized in the Rotterdam derby!

696f6696a369ff6e735cda6000e53833.png

6d988e6469d1bccf90dcb98dadf904e8.png

Feyenoord never looked like scoring until they were awarded a penalty in a game that the visitors had dominated, not something that often happens at the de kuip.

In the end it's a 4th place finish again, a really tough one to take considering how strong the second half of the season has been and too lose it at the De Kuip with penalty after overpowering the home side who did field a lot of youngsters i may add.

I will be back with a detailed end of season report tomorrow after work.

Thanks for following another season!

Edited by SixPointer

1 minute ago, Shrewnaldo said:

So very, very close. Good effort. Does that mean a Europa Conference place rather than Europa League then? And less prize money?

Certainly does! The way am reading it is the teams below us now have a play off to take the last Europa conference league slot. It feels tough just now but tomorrow I’ll see it for what it is progress. Better season than the first and two settled systems with a third  one finalised I just may break into that big three! 

2 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Certainly does! The way am reading it is the teams below us now have a play off to take the last Europa conference league slot. It feels tough just now but tomorrow I’ll see it for what it is progress. Better season than the first and two settled systems with a third  one finalised I just may break into that big three! 

It's one of those where, at the start of the season you've have been absolutely delighted with 4th, but coming so close to 3rd leaves you feeling unjustifiably disappointed.

Oof, tough end to the season but considering that you played in Europe it’s actually progress - more games makes for a greater challenge.

Still bitterly disappointing, but I believe that Sparta will take another step next season.

How long do you have to get that first domestic cup again? Few more years right?

21 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

It's one of those where, at the start of the season you've have been absolutely delighted with 4th, but coming so close to 3rd leaves you feeling unjustifiably disappointed.

This is exactly it! But I’ll draw on the huge positives! Once I dissect it all and go threw all the stats and review it all am sure I’ll be happy. The big thing is the drive towards a clear tactical identity is more or less complete. 

17 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

Oof, tough end to the season but considering that you played in Europe it’s actually progress - more games makes for a greater challenge.

Still bitterly disappointing, but I believe that Sparta will take another step next season.

How long do you have to get that first domestic cup again? Few more years right?

Think you make another great point much like the shrew stated add it all and it is progress. 
Em 5 more seasons to win the KNVB!

12 hours ago, SixPointer said:

The big thing is the drive towards a clear tactical identity is more or less complete. 

And now it’s time to find the type of players you need for the positions inside this tactical identity? Recruitment drive, or your happy with what you’ve got?

And now it’s time to find the type of players you need for the positions inside this tactical identity? Recruitment drive, or your happy with what you’ve got?

I’ve always been driving from the get go for these type of players that’s why I established a DNA right from the start. It was all about first season transitioning them towards the style tactically and on the training pitch second season the more set in stone ideals came into play and knitted together nicely. I need a final system to complete especially one with a double pivot in midfield to offer a little more cover away from home. 
Their certainly will be a recruitment drive as I always aim to strengthen but I do feel players will move on as they is a lot of teams looking at them. So I need to start identifying replacements. 

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Are you still in Europe for next season? 

Time to start raiding lesser teams u-19 sides for players! To mold into your tactical identity!

yeah conference league again! Em I always have a look at the other teams but they don’t seem to come very cheap. Teams in Holland tend to be quite well run and they know the value of their products with it be a country rich with promising players. I don’t have the muscle of the big three yet so it’s about smart recruitment still. 

1 hour ago, Sheriff7 said:

If I reached  ECL semis with N.Salamina it means you can reach (easily) very late phases. You should see it as an european chance for something great. 

Last season I allowed it to be game time for prospects and back up players and made it into the knock out rounds. So I may give it more attention this year, I will make a decision at some point but i might also take a fluid approach to it and just weigh up what games need what 11 or form players 

Season Review

Back to back 4th place finishes and European Conference league football for next season. There was however significant progress from the season previous as we ran PSV mighty close for 3rd place, our points total of 72 would have been enough to seal third place in first season. Notable difference was winning more games, drawing less and losing less which is usually a recipe for better success, scoring the same amount of goals is a strange one but shows our lack of cutting edge, defensively conceding 14 less goals is a real plus point. With a 13 point gain from the first season and knockout European football to contend with its good progress.

Home Record was outstanding only losing to Ajax and Feyenoord at The Castle and drawing that late killer goal against FC Twente, away from home was a different story as to many draws were picked up did only suffer two losses at the hands of Vitesse and Venllo which is pleasing as we went to all the big grounds and got results. Conceding the fewest goals in the league away from home was a shock to me when I discovered this. For a long time I had been thinking I needed a system that provided more cover when in reality the issue was actually scoring on the road.

At the end of last season i mentioned two key areas that i would like to improve and to quote Increase possession gained numbers higher up the pitch with the defence area amontimg to 53%, i would like to see the zone just before the half way line to increase so we catch the opponent before they transition into their attacking shape.

e327d55d18eb9d6c190279021b25effc.png

More possession gains than average, fewer possession gains in defensive third than expected and we gain most possession just before the half way line the description alone is very pleasing but how do the numbers compare. 

Season

Zone 1

Zone 2

Zone 3

Zone 4

Zone 5

Zone 6

2021/2022

22%

34%

32%

10%

2%

0%

2022/2023

18%

31%

37%

11%

2%

0%

A clear boost in the key area  with a 5 percent increase in zone 3 just before the halfway line which in turn reduced the numbers in zone one & two. A very small increase in the opponent's half but it all counts. The defensive third now makes up 49% of the possession gained with the middle third now sitting at 48%. If you add the 2% from the attacking third it's clear that we are turning the ball over higher up the pitch than last season. It's definitely a trend I want to carry on and at least match this next season as a minimum.

Key passes per player was another key area that i wanted to improve on last season with not one player inside the top 11 in the league standings, this year was much the same Brunic is their but can't really be counted as his number are inflated due to being a set piece taker mainly that of corners. Disappointing as I had added more direct passes and trained players to try more killer passes, perhaps the team shares the load and it brings more balance. As you can see here the clear cut chances certainly did not suffer and is a massive improvement on last season in a department that was a struggle previously. So while it's disappointing that individuals never improved the team did and after all that's the main thing.

543ce3ae4ca9d155be324d68f9f51878.png

Leading on nicely to the major switch, last season Sparta Rotterdam were the most attacking efficient team in the Eredivisie, this season it's distinctly average so I was keen to dig deeper and try to understand why a real strong point had fallen.

First thing noted was that our shots per game was a lot higher this therefore could point to the fact more shots but of lesser quality which has lead to the drop in conversion, but digging a little deeper our shots on target ratio was the best in the league so it's not the fact we cant hit the target, so was it down to the quality of chance that the shot was been taken, from the expected goals comes in at 60.71 and we scored 58 so if i'm interpreting this correctly we failed to convert many of less than expected goals.

Ajax ended up top of the conversion chart and scored +15 on expected goals chart. (calling all stats guru’s  would you say poor finishing was the issue even though we did hit the target or simply did we come up against the keeper in better form) definitely would like someone more experienced in this area to give some feedback and thoughts.

Tactical Analysis

System wise the Conductor was used 49% of the time and boasted +23 clear cut chances, while Salida used 39% returned a nice +25 clear cut chances. Goals for shows a high favouritism towards the golden zone and the 6 yard box centrally which is all in fitting with the philosophy and style of play as is the high number of placed shots which accounts for well over half the types of goals scored, timing of goals show we are much more efficient in the first 60 minutes of games with the first 15 showing the time i usually use to suss my opponent out.

Assist locations throw up a suppose as i imagined there to be slightly more central assists but i suppose the flanks may include the half space assists as well. Assists types is nicely balanced with the big two of crossing and through balls being equal on 11, set plays round it of nicely as they sit on 11 with 6 corners and 5 freekicks helped by adding Nagalo as another receiver of corners helped massively teams seemed to work out Thy was the main target so i used him as a decoy for three set ups and Nagalo pounced.

The right side does overpower the left and you can see this matches up on goal locations. I put this down to personal rather than tactical patterns. The IW's on the left are certainly more creative types than the ones on the right who are both natural strikers as well as wide men. It does throw up some nice variation again without losing the positional shape of the team, it also shows you how much player personnel can override tactical instruction.

55595a2cb7e173421788147e2c8eae7b.png

Another glaring weak spot from last season continues to haunt Benedikt Howedes dreams, that goal timing between 75 and 90 minutes still peaks above the rest and that with the added idea of the holding on setting when i drop off and shut the game down however i do only do this if the game is close so it's easy to concede in that team if your a few goals ahead. This is definitely a concern and something I really want to improve on but I do have to be realistic. The fact our defence was super efficient i can't be too disheartened.

ad5a0ddb6a16acf3ef6dbbd518f0079a.png

Really bucked up our ideas at defending corners with only one conceded all season in the league and that is a huge result, the setup which has proved so effective in past for me just needed a few tweaks and it now seems to be doing its job. This is certainly a hugely improved area and something i really pride myself on doing well.

Awards

61145b829e8a10595f41f2511ce30d5b.png

The big one lands for Howedes as he is crowned manager of the year which is testament to how great a season Sparta really had. Win Ration of 61% with the budget gap is incredible really and it's no wonder Ajax are running away with it. Arne Slot must be wondering what he has to do finishing second two years in a row. I'm not sure if Ernst Happel ever won this as I can only trace back to around the early 2000's I would assume so if there was such an award in his time.

5ab83e456d66e91dbcf55716c01d590a.png

Hasenhutl takes the talent of the year and rightly so, in a superb breakthrough season in the Eredivisie with a sublime average of 7.53 (he was that good he got himself 4 clean sheets :lol:). Backed up by Nagalo and Mbi that's three of the back four all recognised for remarkable seasons. Defence is on top with an attacking football philosophy, somehings not right here! It's two in a row for Sparta with this award as Emegha was victorious last year. All I need now is someone from intakes to make the step up to this and it will be even more pleasing.

Edited by SixPointer

Congrats on the recognition for yourself and your hot prospects :applause:

Winning a cup and finishing in the top half of the table is one thing, finishing in a European spot in consecutive years and improving each time is another achievement altogether. Cups have an element of good fortune much more than league runs too. Just need that rub of luck in the cup now :thup:

On 01/02/2022 at 07:15, SixPointer said:

Ajax ended up top of the conversion chart and scored +15 on expected goals chart. (calling all stats guru’s  would you say poor finishing was the issue even though we did hit the target or simply did we come up against the keeper in better form) definitely would like someone more experienced in this area to give some feedback and thoughts.

You should look up Messi’s career xG, it’s insane! And then look at this season’s stats. Make sure you look at his xA at the same time as one is amazing, but both together is out of this world :idiot:

I’ll try to get these later as I’m super busy at the moment :(

You should look up Messi’s career xG, it’s insane! And then look at this season’s stats. Make sure you look at his xA at the same time as one is amazing, but both together is out of this world :idiot:

He’s simply the greatest ever! 

4 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

He’s simply the greatest ever! 

Ok, have a look on fbref: https://fbref.com/en/players/d70ce98e/Lionel-Messi#all_stats_gca

Scroll down to Standard Stats and compare his goals and assists his expected xG and xA. Notice the difference?

Now a good player to compare that too is Salah: https://fbref.com/en/players/e342ad68/Mohamed-Salah

As good as he is in out performing his expected xG, there is really only one season where he got close to +10. This shows that Salah is good but not Messi good (who regularly outperformed his xG by over 10 and I’ve heard his highest was +17 (:idiot:).

This shows that you were performing consistently good for the period that FM report’s on this. Now we’re in Harry Kane territory after his break out year where there was speculation about how good he was and could he repeat it (yes he was that genuinely good, but not as much after his injury)?

55 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Ok, have a look on fbref: https://fbref.com/en/players/d70ce98e/Lionel-Messi#all_stats_gca

Scroll down to Standard Stats and compare his goals and assists his expected xG and xA. Notice the difference?

Now a good player to compare that too is Salah: https://fbref.com/en/players/e342ad68/Mohamed-Salah

As good as he is in out performing his expected xG, there is really only one season where he got close to +10. This shows that Salah is good but not Messi good (who regularly outperformed his xG by over 10 and I’ve heard his highest was +17 (:idiot:).

This shows that you were performing consistently good for the period that FM report’s on this. Now we’re in Harry Kane territory after his break out year where there was speculation about how good he was and could he repeat it (yes he was that genuinely good, but not as much after his injury)?

Incredible stats!!