How often do to change and adjust your Tactic Style In-game?

How often do to change and adjust your Tactic Style In-game?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. When do you Change Tactic Style?

• I use different tactics for easy/hard opponents.
    • I always change tactic between seasons.
    • I change tactic's every match based on Backroom Staff Advice.
    • I change tactic's every match based on Last match performance.
    • I change tactic's every time I loose a match.
    • I usually change tactics at half-time depending on results.
    • I create the tactic first season and never touch it for 10+ years.
    • I don't adjust the tactic between matches to improve Tactical Familiarity
  2. 2. How do you come up with your Tactic Style?

• I select a ingame "default" Tactic and stick with it.
    • I look up online tactics and use the best one.
    • I create a tactic where all my important players can be in starting 11.
    • I create a tactic then sign players to fit into that tactic.
    • I create a tactic based on the Team Report.
    • I change Individual Roles to what the players likes best.

Hi I was wondering how often people change tactics. I created a poll just for fun. You can select multiple answers if you agree with more than one answer.

Is it better to have good Tactical familiarity (fewer changes) or use a "counter" tactic by changing it often. Perhaps both are good options for different reasons.

You really don't have an option for how I do it.

For your questions:

1. I change tactics whenever I feel my current one could be improved, or change inside a match if I feel my team is being exploited in any way.

2. I decide my tactical strategy/philosophy based on how I would like the team to play before doing anything else. Do I want to control the ball? Counterattack? Long balls? Etc. If I don't know what I want, there would be just instructions upon instructions without any thought behind the whole.

I also never change any instructions if I cannot explain WHY adding it would help the tactic as a whole. WHY do I have a higher/lower LOE, and how does it effect all my other instructions. Looking at my current tactical setup I have 4 instructions for "in possession", 1 for "transition" and 3 for "out of possession". I also only have 1 single player instruction (to get a MC further forward) since he seems to be just a tad too far back for my likening.

That said, I'm moving this whole thread to the tactics subforum since it belongs there, and not in GD.

Answered 

I usually change tactics at half-time depending on results. but usually I don't make tactical changes at half-time but later in the game. Also some role tweaks to interfere opponent buildup plays.

Thanks for moving it to the correct sub-forum.  I like the way you change it when you understand why you do it. I don't know if I am able edit/add it to the poll and how to word it simply as an option.

I'll actually add a bit to my former post. I have a base of what I want the team to do; formation, philosophy, etc. From there I usually create one for games I'm favoured and one for when I'm up against a favoured opponent. Based on how well I expect I do in any given game, I'll swap between those two. Inside each match, I will tweak things if I see something particular and sometimes I will implement those to the base tactic. Over time that develops two different, but similar tactics for two main expectations matches. Then I switch between these for 99% of all matches.

In the 3rd slot, I usually have something completely different for when I feel I need to really shake things up in a game. Often a 4-4-2 that's based on hoofball towards a targetman since that's usually quite far from my favoured base tactics. I do this if I run into a match where I cannot understand what the opponents are doing and they are still winning/controlling. I rarely do this though, and consider it a desperate measure for me.

I personally tend not to change my tactic once I have sorted it out. I can occasionally make a rather small subtle tweak or two as I see fit (depending on an opponent or in-match situation), but I do not make any big changes. Therefore, my core tactic remains essentially unchanged (apart from those minor occasional tweaks). 

Dont Change my tactics too often once I found the right set up. After that only in preparation for the next season especially if I found something not to my favour. 

i always try to create a tactic that fits to my key players and the overall strength of my club 

1. I have my base tactic, then I make adaptations regarding opposition (distribute to fbs instead of cbs if they play 2 strikers, for instance). During the game, I keep making changes when I see fit (usually PIs or OIs)

2. I have developed a sort of plug and play tactic that works for me. Then I adapt to my team. For instance: when I was managing FC Porto, I played with high lines, with Carlisle I had to drop to lower lines, now I'm trying with Karlsruhe and I'm with standard lines. With Karlsruhe I made more changes since the league has a very different type of players than the other ones.

It's very rare for me to change team instructions. From the point that I'm happy with the way my team plays, and from the understanding that I have from those instructions, I'll stick to them and never change them. 

I'm my current tactic I have 1 possesion instruction, 2 in transition and 2 in out possesion and that's it. 

Now, for players roles and duties I change them alot. Winger to IF, wingback to inverted wingback, support to attack, and so on... 

I run two a system with two formations (4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1) which I'll switch between based on my opponent's formation, and I have three different tactics which I switch between based upon the quality of the opposition. At the moment, running a pretty good PL team I've got an attacking, low temp possession tactic, a positive, high-pressing tactic, and a "balanced" one, which is the defensive setup

I thend to create a tactic during preseason (often inspired by something I observe while watching football) and then stick to it for a full season, I might make minor tweaks if I spot something that don't work as well as I anticipated but that's about it really 

During matches I never make tactical changes, I just alter how the team is playing with player selection and substitutions 

I might make a new tactic to accommodate how my squad is developing between seasons or if I'm bored with how my team is playing 

On 02/04/2021 at 22:57, Experienced Defender said:

I personally tend not to change my tactic once I have sorted it out. I can occasionally make a rather small subtle tweak or two as I see fit (depending on an opponent or in-match situation), but I do not make any big changes. Therefore, my core tactic remains essentially unchanged (apart from those minor occasional tweaks). 

Ditto with a few extra points.

The only tweaks I tend to make before or during a game are to either:

1) The defensive line and/or the line of engagement.

2) Defensive Width

3) Offensive Width.

In order to ensure my players can switch seamlessly as required I use my three tactic slots not for drastic tactical shifts, but for these slight changes. This ensures full tactical familiarity, thus optimal execution, when making changes.

Example:

Slot 1: Default Tactic.

Slot 2: Default Tactic with Narrow attacking Width, Higher Line of Engagement and Higher Defensive Line.

Slot 3: Default tactic with Wide Attacking Width, Lower Defensive Line and Lower Line of Engagement.

In practice:

I do not switch to the tactics 2 or 3 during a match. I make tweaks to the Slot 1 tactic during the match that reflect the familiarity gained by training them in the other tactical slots dependent on the in-game's situation.

Also, defensive width is not affected by tactical familiarity and can be changed without prejudice.

I have been testing a three tactics system: a Positive, direct, intense and high press one, another one that is almost the same as the first but on Balanced mentality - to reduce risks but keep attacking when we are winning - and a Cautious one to use at end of the matches. Normally I switch between the first two ones during games according to what is happening on the pitch.