Fun, small European leagues

I love the Swedish league. There are some relatively 'big' clubs such as Malmo and AIK. You get good youth players, some big grounds so you get get some good money going.

Takes a bit to get used to the different season dates though.

9 minutes ago, Grifty said:

I love the Swedish league. There are some relatively 'big' clubs such as Malmo and AIK. You get good youth players, some big grounds so you get get some good money going.

Takes a bit to get used to the different season dates though.

I am also currently playing in the Swedish leagues and having tons of fun. I started in the 4th tier with Stockholm Internazionale. Strange cup format with a group stage in the middle. Not much money down there so you're on a bit of a timer to get to the second tier unless you draw a big team in the cup.

You should try Slovenia. It's as small as it gets and their only european performances were qualifying for groups of Champion League.

The OP said he wanted no continental success, therefore I dont think Sweden qualifies for it. Other notable mentions from the out-of-the-box leagues could be Finland or Bulgaria.

If you don't mind adding leagues then these two have been done is astonishing detail with all histories etc added, i'm just having a look around the Maltese one now and there's full squads for every team so you don't have to "add players to playable teams" like you do with most other expansion databases.  All the graphical bits and bobs are in there as well so it looks the part too.  May start a long term save there myself once i've finished my current one.

The Cyprus database is great too, I used it for FM19 as my parents local team.  It's also the highest rated league that isn't in the original game

Just a couple to think about

3 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

The OP said he wanted no continental success, therefore I dont think Sweden qualifies for it. Other notable mentions from the out-of-the-box leagues could be Finland or Bulgaria.

Bulgaria had some nasty squad registration rules the last time I loaded it. The Nordic countries are lots of fun, Iceland is also a good challenge.

I had a great save a few FMs back with Viikingit in the Finnish leagues. Chosen almost entirely because of the name :)

The Swiss league is also good fun, particularly as Vaduz - I think they can also now qualify for the Champions League if you win the Europa

Any Nordic league (Iceland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden) for me, all are relatively 'small' European leagues but with enough good to decent sides to make them challenging.

14 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

If you don't mind adding leagues then these two have been done is astonishing detail with all histories etc added, i'm just having a look around the Maltese one now and there's full squads for every team so you don't have to "add players to playable teams" like you do with most other expansion databases.  All the graphical bits and bobs are in there as well so it looks the part too.  May start a long term save there myself once i've finished my current one.

The Cyprus database is great too, I used it for FM19 as my parents local team.  It's also the highest rated league that isn't in the original game

Just a couple to think about

Thank you for the linkage! It is indeed a fun league to play in. Loads of room for growth, possibility of shooting up UEFA coefficients in the first season meaning more European places and you get to manage on a beautiful island :) I only wish SI would consider it for the full out of box game. 

Edited by Travis Bickle