Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right I Had Football Manager 2009 Installed On My Previous Hard-Drive Which Then Broke Beyond Repair, So I Tried Installing On My New Hard-Drive Via Steam, I Thought Everything Had Gone Well It All Installed And Then The Updates Installed Automatically, But When I Tried To Launch The Game Nothing Happened The Option Was There I Pressed It And It Give Me The Indication That Everything Was Fine But Nothing Happened...

FM09-1.jpg

So Then I Tried The Other Way To Install It But It Never Told Me To Activate It, It Installed The Data Then When I Tried To Click On The Shortcut To Start The Game It Brought This Up...

FM09.jpg

I'm having serious problems activating, I've given as much detail as possible in this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=85271

post #3885!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought there was supposed to be a support team. clearly i was wrong.

:thdn::mad::thdn::mad:

Well said Fletch. Surely SI/Sega knew people would be getting this for Christmas, where the hell are they?

Guest pEnTaGrAm_15

I bought the game from Steam. I want to check my seats on DeActivation screen but it isn't work for me. I always take same error. It says Unable to lookup devices.

I want a solution for Unable to lookup devices error!

When I play Football Manager 2009 it keeps turning off my pc. Its on vista as well. Is there any things I can download to stop this happening. I have done a CCcleaner and defrag my pc. And it still keeps shutting down. Help? and its on vista

cant play game in 3d can anybody help

That's probably because your graphic card can't handle the 3-D match engine. If 2-D view does work there is no other solution than to buy a new graphic card or a new computer.

Right I Had Football Manager 2009 Installed On My Previous Hard-Drive Which Then Broke Beyond Repair, So I Tried Installing On My New Hard-Drive Via Steam, I Thought Everything Had Gone Well It All Installed And Then The Updates Installed Automatically, But When I Tried To Launch The Game Nothing Happened The Option Was There I Pressed It And It Give Me The Indication That Everything Was Fine But Nothing Happened...

FM09-1.jpg

So Then I Tried The Other Way To Install It But It Never Told Me To Activate It, It Installed The Data Then When I Tried To Click On The Shortcut To Start The Game It Brought This Up...

FM09.jpg

Just Another Quick Update:

I Looked It Up In The Following C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009 and it brought up the following...

FM09-2.jpg

When I play Football Manager 2009 it keeps turning off my pc. Its on vista as well. Is there any things I can download to stop this happening. I have done a CCcleaner and defrag my pc. And it still keeps shutting down. Help? and its on vista

Why no reply si?

I've got a product that's not fit for the purpose.

I've played many games over the years but never encountered anything as bad as this. So many problems to get the game to run...then just as many problems getting it to keep working.

Any other company releasing a product that performs as poorly as this would get hammered in the press.

I want my money back.....The retailer won't do it ...will you SI?

Come on SI....response please....preferably a refund that I can spend on something that actually works.

OK, I'll start having a look at some of these issues.

In terms of how to resolve most issues this - here's a few suggestions;

- Read the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. It has details about downloading the most up-to-date version of DirectX which is resolving the majority of people's crashes, apparently. Also, worth checking your GFX card drivers as these have also caused issues - make sure they're as up-to-date as they can be.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=81852

If you're having an activation specific problem - look in this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715

- If neither of those options help - then you should contact Customer Services - here:

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

They'll go through your PC configuration and see if there's anything else that can be done.

By all means let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers

Matt

Hi guys,

I have installed the game and I began to play the game as soon as I installed it - it worked fine!

However, I have now come back to play the game. Firstly there was no shortcut of any sort, then I put the disc in, clicked on Autorun but nothing happened?

Any help appreciated guys :)

i no replys arn't getting back quick at all but heres mine.

downloaded and registered fine but click on icon and im getting fm.exe encounted a problem etc etc and from there im stuck and have done nothing need help its bin nearly a week of messing about need answers!! by pm if possible!

Hi guys,

I have installed the game and I began to play the game as soon as I installed it - it worked fine!

However, I have now come back to play the game. Firstly there was no shortcut of any sort, then I put the disc in, clicked on Autorun but nothing happened?

Any help appreciated guys :)

In order to help find your game, did you install via steam or uniloc and are you on vista or xp?

FM09-1.jpg

FM09.jpg

Just Another Quick Update:

I Looked It Up In The Following C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\football manager 2009 and it brought up the following...

FM09-2.jpg

- Read the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. It has details about downloading the most up-to-date version of DirectX which is resolving the majority of people's crashes, apparently. Also, worth checking your GFX card drivers as these have also caused issues - make sure they're as up-to-date as they can be.

- If neither of those options help - then you should contact Customer Services - here:

They'll go through your PC configuration and see if there's anything else that can be done.

Cheers

Matt

So Are SI Staff Currently Looking Into The Problems And How Long Can We Expect To Wait For A Reply?...

Hi ive trawled though pages and pages of faults on here and its driving me nuts..

I cant seem to find anything that relates to my problem so please help me out.

I have installed Football manager 2009 and have activated it with no problems at all.I then istalled the patch before i played it and then started the long process of restoring Leeds to Premiership glory.After my 2nd game it just froze and i had a windows error message stating : Football manager has stopped working, a box then appears and it starts searching for more information and once again freezes all together.My entire Pc seems to crash and i then have to restart.This seems to happen every time i play, i get through 1 game with no problems and then the next match it crashes,Its so infuriating please please help as the Mrs says im getting very irritable and i fear for my marital status....I have to get it working so my Mrs can get some peace and my cat stops getting kicked...Please Help:confused:

hello i can't play matches in 3d and assume graphics card is not good enough.

before buying a new card will it also make the speed of the game a bit more quicker as the game is playing very slow?

have had many problems installing game.

wondering if its worth it with the pc i have got?

ati rad 9250 graphics card installed at the moment.

any help would be well received

many thanks

I am also getting that "Football Manager has stopped working" message when I try to launch the game. I've updated my drivers, I've got the 9.2.0 patch and I have done the dot net thing. I was playing a couple of days ago when I had the patch and have done nothing except open a couple of ports to allow me to play the game online. It was working before, so what could have caused it to do this??

I cant find any help on this topic still

"not a valid win32 application" when I insert the game disk. I cant even install it let alone find everyone elses problems with it.

What does this message mean and how do I fix it.

This is the last time of asking SI or I will be taking the game back and you have lost another fan of the series. I have bought every version of Champ Man/Football man since the 93/94 version but this will be the last unless this problem gets fixed.

Might start trying Fifa Manager instead.

Can someone please help me with a 3D pitch problem. What happened is this. I was using a custom made skin, however, at one point it game me an error when I pressed the F1 key. Due to the error I could not do anything with the game except to shut it down and restart. I did that and then changed back to the default FM2009 skin. Now when I did this, I encountered the white text bug, so I followed the instructions posted here and deleted my cache file, plus the skins folder from C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 and it fixed the problem. Now I'm just using the default skin, however, whenever I go to watch the match in 3D, the pitch looks awful, like it has no texture to it. I never had this problem before. Please see the pic below:

badpitcheo7.jpg

How can I fix this?

ive been playing for the last couple of hours and just got the XML parsing error, which was annoying, have gone to properties but my game is run through steam, so what do i write in target?

this is what is currently in it - "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe

2ndcoming if you're trying to run without steam when you've installed it with steam *make sure steam isn't running*.

Also try installing the Microsoft .Net framework (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en) and update direct x :)

Hi Matt - I have been through all guides and Sega customer Services - I understand the difficulties in answering all questions - but I still haven't been able to get the game working - I'm still getting error-819 when I try and activate my key on the SoftAnchor screen. When I try the fix - when I enter my key into that also get can not activate with error 819. Please can you just answer this one question for me - if I buy another game and install it will it give me the same problem on the same device? And the second question is who would I get the refund from for the first game? Any reply to the last 2 questions will make me happy Thank You

Hi, I'd like to put my two cents in.

I couldn't get the game to activate after installing as I would keep getting the [-51] error message. My pc is running Vista x64 Ultimate and it was an oem install. The user account I'm using is an admin account, so I assumed there wouldn't be an issue there (ha!). So I tried downloading and running fix2 and when that didn't work I tried setting the folder properties to not read-only for both the appdata folder and the certificate folder. But what was weird was that when I changed the properties to not read-only, when I went back in, it would revert back to read-only.

Then I tried fix3 and that didn't work, and I guess that's because of the folder properties. I thought it was weird that from an admin account, the folder permissions couldn't be changed. Then I got a hunch that it might have something to do with vista's User Account Control, so I turned it off. Uninstalled the game, restarted, and I did the normal install again from the cd. When the activation window came up, I put in the keycode, and hey presto - it activated!!

So if you're running vista, make sure you are using an admin account and have turned User Account Control off.

A word to SI. I spent about an hour meddling around with this to get it working, and its kind of annoying. And seeing as there are 41 pages of issues so far, I don't think I'm alone :)

So I hope for FM10 you don't implement this type of activation without proper testing on the various platforms and configs, even though it was a good idea in the sense that we wouldn't need to have the cd in the drive while playing. Technically it wasn't an issue with the activation software (for this problem), but instructions would have been nice.

The game has worked without any flaws for me from the start, even the activation was a piece of cake! But now, the game refuses to run at all, it instantly stops working :(

As soon as I try to run it, I get an error saying "Football manager 2009 has stopped working" and I get to choose between lokking online for a solution or close it. The info on the error says something about ntdll.dll

I have vista/latest drivers etc etc.

Update: A reinstall doesn't help either.

So much for my FM all nighter! *sob sob* /wrist

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

im a vista user and none of this is on my computer program data???? i have program files and i dont have football manger 2009 certificate

help me please otherwise this is the last £30 you ever gt out of me

Have you tried turning User Account Control off and installing/activating the game? It worked for me even though my error was a different one. Also make sure you're using an admin account in vista.

Danny, might just have a solution mate. Did you install via uniloc? Uninstall it and reinstall via Steram. It's now working on mine after I did this, it will only let me view matches in 2D and I get the problem I described in the post above where the arrow on the screen you move about with the mouse flickers, but at least I can play the game. Let me know how you get on. :thup:

hey mate

i did have it playin via Steam but it slowed my computer right down and cudnt play it at work cos no internet there. so wanted to do it via uniloc but no joy that way.

think im jus gonna have to install via Steam :(

cheers fella

Cheers

Matt

Hey I wonder if anyone can help me!!

Ive had FM09 for a month i did originally install it via Steam but it made my computer and the game run so so slow!! I ended up uninstalling and re installing the game again via Uniloc.

Now it starts to load the screen goes black except for a white L and a white flashing dial in the bottom right hand corner and then thats it!!! it stops loading and i left it this arvo for 3 hrs and no change, Ive read thru majority of posts on here but nothing seems to stop this or help load it.

Im gettin really pi**ed off and as i brought it on Amazon (pre order) i cant return the game

Please can someone out there help me?!?! All i wanna do is play the game

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

* Right-click on the FM shortcut.

* Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

* In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

* Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

I've tried this, but it won't allow..saying "target box not valid. please make sure path and file name are correct..

:confused:

Hi, I am getting the "FM encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I have upgraded the .NET, I have installed SDK, I have installed the 9.1 patch. Any other suggestions, this is doing my head in. Thanks

I have this problem as well. Have u solved it yet? Is really annoying me!

I'm another one with the 0xc0000005 error when trying to run it after installing. I tried installing it on the home computer to see if it was a common fault and I managed to get through to the activation stage on there, but I want the game for my laptop.

I have gone through most of the solutions on here and tried them with no success.

This is really frustrating. Any other ideas?

alrite, just got the game and got the 'unlock key already active' and that i had to buy one from the site. ive gone through the fix for it and it says please launch the game. go to launch the game through steam and it just keeps comin up with that same message. what can i do?

Just tried to install but all I get is a install anywhere box that counts to 100 then displays a message about choosing a location to open the installer to but it then just keeps coming back to the same message and gets no further no matter which location is set. I did get it to install once but it installed with errors so I wiped any trace of the install and tried again several times but i just get as far as the same choose location message. Any ideas?

Right, lets see what we can do then.

Here's some steps for anyone that has a problem:

- Check and update your Graphics card drivers.

- Update your DirectX installation.

- Try running the game if it's in windows mode.

This will fix 95% of crashes.

If you're still having problems and you've not looked for a solution, you MUST have a read of these two threads:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=63556

This gives you a decent chance to set up your game yourself.

If you're struggling with a crash, an activation issue, or a problem that I haven't addressed - you NEED to contact Customer Services and get a support ticket raised. I'm not technical, I'm just regurgitating what I've read and learned on the forums since the game launched, so may not be able to help everyone. Customer Service details at the bottom of this note.

Just tried to install but all I get is a install anywhere box that counts to 100 then displays a message about choosing a location to open the installer to but it then just keeps coming back to the same message and gets no further no matter which location is set. I did get it to install once but it installed with errors so I wiped any trace of the install and tried again several times but i just get as far as the same choose location message. Any ideas?

You need to contact CS and go through your PC details with them - I'm unfamiliar with this issue.

alrite, just got the game and got the 'unlock key already active' and that i had to buy one from the site. ive gone through the fix for it and it says please launch the game. go to launch the game through steam and it just keeps comin up with that same message. what can i do?

If you've used the activator, make sure you've uploaded the most recently generated file. If that fails, contact CS please.

can anyone help me please? i have bought 2 copies of football manager 2009 and im still waitin to play them. i keep getting the softanchor menu coming up. where do i get the product key from.

Back of your manual.

Hi, my game keeps crashing when I get to a match, it is really annoying, help please?

See the general help at the top of this post for fixing crashes.

I'm another one with the 0xc0000005 error when trying to run it after installing. I tried installing it on the home computer to see if it was a common fault and I managed to get through to the activation stage on there, but I want the game for my laptop.

Drivers / DirectX - if that doesn't help contact CS please.

I am having the problem when i launch the game:

fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.23544 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.0.0.23544 Offset: 00c0e857

Someone please help!!!!

Not familiar with the cause of this - CS for you, please.

I get a windows msg saying that fm2009 has stopped working, any ideas on how to solve it?

Seen this a couple of times but not sure - CS for you please.

Hey I wonder if anyone can help me!!

Ive had FM09 for a month i did originally install it via Steam but it made my computer and the game run so so slow!! I ended up uninstalling and re installing the game again via Uniloc.

Now it starts to load the screen goes black except for a white L and a white flashing dial in the bottom right hand corner and then thats it!!! it stops loading and i left it this arvo for 3 hrs and no change, Ive read thru majority of posts on here but nothing seems to stop this or help load it.

Sounds like a graphics card driver issue for me.

The game has worked without any flaws for me from the start, even the activation was a piece of cake! But now, the game refuses to run at all, it instantly stops working :(

As soon as I try to run it, I get an error saying "Football manager 2009 has stopped working" and I get to choose between lokking online for a solution or close it. The info on the error says something about ntdll.dll

I have vista/latest drivers etc etc.

DirectX up to date?

I've had the saAuditMd.llr error and done what you said in the first post yet it still isn't working.

Graphics / DirectX should resolve this, if I recall correctly?

Hi Matt - I have been through all guides and Sega customer Services - I understand the difficulties in answering all questions - but I still haven't been able to get the game working - I'm still getting error-819 when I try and activate my key on the SoftAnchor screen. When I try the fix - when I enter my key into that also get can not activate with error 819. Please can you just answer this one question for me - if I buy another game and install it will it give me the same problem on the same device? And the second question is who would I get the refund from for the first game? Any reply to the last 2 questions will make me happy Thank You

Have you tried the disconnected activator? And are you uploading your latest file?

I cant find any help on this topic still

"not a valid win32 application" when I insert the game disk. I cant even install it let alone find everyone elses problems with it.

Not seen this before - I'd try Customer Services so they can have a look at your machine spec...

i no replys arn't getting back quick at all but heres mine.

downloaded and registered fine but click on icon and im getting fm.exe encounted a problem etc etc and from there im stuck and have done nothing need help its bin nearly a week of messing about need answers!! by pm if possible!

Tried drivers / DirectX?

Well said Fletch. Surely SI/Sega knew people would be getting this for Christmas, where the hell are they?

If you contact Customer Services, they've worked every day.

i have received FM09 for christmas. When i put the disk into the drive nothing happens

plz help me

Ummm - try exploring your disk drive once you have the disk in the drive - older drives may not auto-run. Also, bear in mind it's a DVD - no DVD Drive, no work....

I do not know just where to post this, so my apologies in advance if this is in the incorrect thread.

Ever since activating the game via steam my computer has experienced problems, particularly with speed.

Both my add-aware and the PC guard spyware are telling me that "Steam" has spyware issues.

Also, on more than one occasion when I have activated the game, I get a pop-up telling me that the game is unavailable and to "try later".

Stuart.

Steam isn't Spyware - give it permission to operate within those programmes.

Also - look in the program files / Steam / Steamapps folder and find fm.exe - create a desktop shortcut to this and run from it and it'll work each time.

Problems with FM 2009

Selected rangers and it comes to the first friendly game and it crashes/freezes once i have selected my team and try to continue to the match. I have tried 4 more times and it does this every time. even after reinstalling it.

For reference - Customer Services link....

Cheers

Matt

Archived