Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Not sure whether it is or isn't your GFX card to be honest....

I wouldn't recommend buying the game with a PC that's under spec.

Hi Matt thanks for responding to my post

i have found a website that describes the benefits of the 9.1 patch for the game which states specifically that the intel gma 950 will run the game with the patch.

is there a similar patch for the demo? i presume not but if you could confirm that the patch would allow my pc to play the game then i would go ahead and buy the full version obviously download the patch and then i should be fine despite the demo not functioning.

i have scoured the internet and many macbooks seem to be fitted with the intel gma 950 and are running the game so i cannot see why my laptop (advent 4211 netbook) can not.

unless there is another underlying problem which i am missing?

many thanks in advance

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got FM09 today for windows...running it on vista home basic

I havnt been able to get past the steam installation....

i get the following error message

Steam.exe( main exception): Unable to load library steam.dll

I have tried to download steam from the steam website but the same issue occurs

I have contacted steam but i figured this might be a quicker way if the problem is a simple one

Thanks in advance

I'd suggest doing the installation without Steam and activating via Uniloc instead. I have no idea why Steam wouldn't install, sorry.

Hello,

Have a brand new laptop and FM crashes every time I submit my team, was fine the first time I played it but won't work now. Ihave tried several new games and uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have the latest patch.

Any ideas as to why? And could you also bear in mind that I am very (I can't emphasise this enough) limted as to what I know with computers and require step by step help! :-(

Try running the game in windowed mode - either from the preferences screen or search these forums for details on how to force the game into that mode.

Failing that, you can read the known issues thread and update your DirectX installation, or check and see if you can update your graphics card drivers via Windows update.

Hi Matt thanks for responding to my post

i have found a website that describes the benefits of the 9.1 patch for the game which states specifically that the intel gma 950 will run the game with the patch.

is there a similar patch for the demo? i presume not but if you could confirm that the patch would allow my pc to play the game then i would go ahead and buy the full version obviously download the patch and then i should be fine despite the demo not functioning.

i have scoured the internet and many macbooks seem to be fitted with the intel gma 950 and are running the game so i cannot see why my laptop (advent 4211 netbook) can not.

unless there is another underlying problem which i am missing?

many thanks in advance

The demo, I believe, is unpatched, although I'm not sure - if it doesn't work and you've updated all your GFX drivers etc, I'd suggest that that isn't a good sign.

As I suggested I can't confirm or guarantee that the game will work on a machine that's under spec... much as I'd like you to purchase and enjoy, it wouldn't be very responsible to give you a guarantee that I can't back up or support. Sorry.

Everyttime I try to run FM2009 an error occurs: "not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of default.xml"

I tried to look for the presence of the cache and settings folders like suggested by other people but these folders don't even exist in my comp!!!

Can someone help me troubleshoot this please???

many thanks in advance

diogre

Hey, I hope this is the right place to put my problem, I've been playing the demo and now full game for a while and had no major problems, but I'm unable to download the patch, and given the obvious problems with injuries etc, I really need to do this. I download it from rapidshare or wherever, and then it just says unable to verify publisher. Usually with things you get an option to overrule this, but in this case I dont. I know its not just me as its happened to a mate of mine as well. I would be really grateful for your help. Thanks

Hey, I hope this is the right place to put my problem, I've been playing the demo and now full game for a while and had no major problems, but I'm unable to download the patch, and given the obvious problems with injuries etc, I really need to do this. I download it from rapidshare or wherever, and then it just says unable to verify publisher. Usually with things you get an option to overrule this, but in this case I dont. I know its not just me as its happened to a mate of mine as well. I would be really grateful for your help. Thanks

You receive an error when trying to install the Patch - digital signature issue (Vista)

Fix:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe (if you don’t know how to see guide below)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

Quick Guide to Creating a shortcut:

1. Right click on an empty space on the desktop to open the context menu

2. Select New

3. Select Shortcut with a left-click

4. In the location box type cmd /k Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON 5. Select Next

6. Name your shortcut and push Finish

Everyttime I try to run FM2009 an error occurs: "not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of default.xml"

I tried to look for the presence of the cache and settings folders like suggested by other people but these folders don't even exist in my comp!!!

Can someone help me troubleshoot this please???

many thanks in advance

diogre

can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Hi, I have just bought the game and installed it on an intel MacBookPro. Upon launch, after the intro screens the "new game" etc. screen fails to appear and there is instead just a blank grey screen. I have downloaded the latest 9.2 patch and tried uninstalling/reinstalling it to no avail. Any one have any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Apologies but I know nothing at all about the Mac... you can either wait for a little more advice or contact customer services, their details are in the first post in this thread.

Blank screen;

- Graphics Driver Update.

- Install latest patch.

- Update DirectX.

Let me know how you go.

Hi,

I've had a trawl through these forums but can't see an answer, so apologies if I've missed it

I'm getting the error "Football Manager 2009 is running dangerously low on memory. Please quit an free up some memory" which I've seen other people complain about but there doesn't seem a resolution.

The game has been running quite happily for 4 seasons (just about to finish the 4th season) on a medium database. Its a Vista machine with 4GB of RAM and very little else running.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hello,

My Pc which has Windows Vista Home premium could not detect/read the FM09 DVD. My DVD player is ok it can detect all other DVD including FM08.

My Windows XP laptop can read the FM09 DVD.

So what should I do?

My PC configuration is quiet good.

Please help.

Hi,

I've had a trawl through these forums but can't see an answer, so apologies if I've missed it

I'm getting the error "Football Manager 2009 is running dangerously low on memory. Please quit an free up some memory" which I've seen other people complain about but there doesn't seem a resolution.

The game has been running quite happily for 4 seasons (just about to finish the 4th season) on a medium database. Its a Vista machine with 4GB of RAM and very little else running.

If its any help in diagnosing the issue, I had a back up copy of the saved game from a few matches earlier. This loaded fine and I've played it past where the original saved game was and saved and reloaded this version with no problems. Does this suggest its an issue with the game rather than the PC?

The demo, I believe, is unpatched, although I'm not sure - if it doesn't work and you've updated all your GFX drivers etc, I'd suggest that that isn't a good sign.

As I suggested I can't confirm or guarantee that the game will work on a machine that's under spec... much as I'd like you to purchase and enjoy, it wouldn't be very responsible to give you a guarantee that I can't back up or support. Sorry.

Hi again Matt

After searching through various threads i found that there is indeed a patch for the demo. i downloaded this onto my computer and i no longer receive the error message as before.

however now that i've got it im still a bit stuck. i no longer get the error message but whenever i launch the game nothing seems to happen. when i check my system processes fm.exe is running and if i try to re-launch the demo it informs me that the demo is already running so it would seem to be working, at least in the background, but there is nothing on my screen.

just my luck, one step forward, two steps back. any suggestions?

cheers

Running Windows Vista on a HP Touch Smart PC.

I have uploaded latestes Direct x and Graphics card updates.

Load the game ok, but when I go to run receive the following:

Football Manager has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Has anybody any ideas................

Maybe SI want to buy the game back off me?

Hi guys.

I thought I'd wait for the dust to settle before purchasing the new FM 2009. I bought it via Steam last night, and managed to install it without problems, but when I've tried to start it up, I get the "Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system" message.

I've downloaded both patches and still no joy. I've downloaded the suggested DirectX SDK update, but when I try to install it I get an "install error s1023" message

I'm running Windows XP on a Acer Aspire laptop. The specs are: Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ 1.8GHz, Memory 446MB RAM, Graphics Card Sis M760GX (64MB), DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've already wasted 5 hours of my life! 4.gif

Hi guys.

I thought I'd wait for the dust to settle before purchasing the new FM 2009. I bought it via Steam last night, and managed to install it without problems, but when I've tried to start it up, I get the "Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system" message.

I've downloaded both patches and still no joy. I've downloaded the suggested DirectX SDK update, but when I try to install it I get an "install error s1023" message

I'm running Windows XP on a Acer Aspire laptop. The specs are: Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ 1.8GHz, Memory 446MB RAM, Graphics Card Sis M760GX (64MB), DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've already wasted 5 hours of my life! 4.gif

Update your Graphics Card Drivers. :)

Update your Graphics Card Drivers. :)

Forgot to say that I've also done that, it would appear that it's the worst graphics card on the planet (allegedly, don't want SiS, taking me to court!!) But I never wanted to play in 3D anyway, and this machine has run the previous 2 versions without a problem. 7.gif

Hello,

Have a brand new laptop and FM crashes every time I submit my team, was fine the first time I played it but won't work now. Ihave tried several new games and uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have the latest patch.

Any ideas as to why? And could you also bear in mind that I am very (I can't emphasise this enough) limted as to what I know with computers and require step by step help! :-(

Suggestions, as per most crashes, as follows;

- Make sure the game is patched.

- Make sure your Graphics card drivers are up to date - Windows Update can help with this.

- Update your DirectX as per the link in the first thread.

Link doesn't work...

Should now be fixed.

Hi,

Hmmm. If it's not doing it every time, I'm not sure what'd cause it - maybe a virus checker running in the background? I'm guessing to be honest... not techy enough to know. If it persists, Customer Services are your best bet.

Hello,

My Pc which has Windows Vista Home premium could not detect/read the FM09 DVD. My DVD player is ok it can detect all other DVD including FM08.

My Windows XP laptop can read the FM09 DVD.

If there's nothing wrong with the disk, there's something wrong with the drive.... update the drivers for it as my best suggestion....

Hi again Matt

After searching through various threads i found that there is indeed a patch for the demo. i downloaded this onto my computer and i no longer receive the error message as before.

however now that i've got it im still a bit stuck. i no longer get the error message but whenever i launch the game nothing seems to happen. when i check my system processes fm.exe is running and if i try to re-launch the demo it informs me that the demo is already running so it would seem to be working, at least in the background, but there is nothing on my screen.

I'd suggest uninstall, reinstall... go through the driver and DirectX advice as per the above - if all else fails, can we get more info on your PC spec?

Running Windows Vista on a HP Touch Smart PC.

I have uploaded latestes Direct x and Graphics card updates.

Load the game ok, but when I go to run receive the following:

Football Manager has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Has anybody any ideas................

Maybe SI want to buy the game back off me?

I don't know the cause of this error... if you think your PC is up to spec, I'd suggest contacting Customer Services.

Forgot to say that I've also done that, it would appear that it's the worst graphics card on the planet (allegedly, don't want SiS, taking me to court!!) But I never wanted to play in 3D anyway, and this machine has run the previous 2 versions without a problem. 7.gif

Running the last two versions doesn't mean that much, unfortnuately. If your card is under spec there may not be much we can do...

Don't know if this is the right place to post... eventually bought the game from Amazon after much thought as the DRM problem was putting me off but installed through Steam and game works no problem. Can't wait to get started now tomorrow night after my work!! Brilliant :)

XML Parsing Error again. I've fixed this by deleting the folder I was told to but I can't load up my saved game still. I'm using 9.0.2 and I've defragged the drive that FM09 and the save game are saved/installed onto. Could someone provide further information or could someone official report if it has finally gone or not. The problem is that the progress bar for loading the saved game gets about a tenth of the way then stops. If I leave it for around two minutes, a new FM09 window pops up simply telling me 'The save game could not be loaded'. Why?

It seems as though everyone is having their question answered BUT me.

followed your advice on a XML error worked fine! but now i deleted steam i keep getting a error displaying a message about cannot retieve database information from steamapps/footballmanager/... that so would it work now im running it without steam straight through the download of the database?

It seems as though everyone is having their question answered BUT me.

Sorry. Have you followed *all* the advice linked out of the first post regarding these issues?

And updated DirectX / Drivers / Fully patched?

If so - I'd recommend talking through your machine spec with Customer Services - I'm afraid I can't suggest any more.

Matt, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It's just a shame that it brings an end to my annual purchase of FM. I can't justify spending £400 to replace a 2-3 year old laptop, in order to play a £30 game.

It is indeed, a price of progress. I don't recall seeing the spec of your GFX card, is it definitely under? If so, then all I can do is apologise. If it's on spec, I'd recommend Customer Services for much more in depth support than I'm capable of providing.

Please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.

please can you help me after 3 seasons of playing wiyh no prblems now after setting my team up and go to play game i get-- Not well formed(invalid token)in line 1 of highlights.and go back to steam. i have tried everything i know but to no avail please help me:confused:

Suggestions, as per most crashes, as follows;

Running the last two versions doesn't mean that much, unfortnuately. If your card is under spec there may not be much we can do...

I have a 256 Mb SiS Graphic card, earlier I was told that SiS wasn't supported and that you were working on it, but the new (9.2.0.) patch still doesn't work (latest drivers, Direct X SDK and all that is installed).

I'm guessing you still haven't done support for SiS?

also, the patch info doesn't say anything about this.

hey there i have the same error with the xmfl or watever it was . i have tried reset pref option and this hasnt worked and i arnt find the appdata folder , can any body help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

same prob as you north but mine is invalid token in speed

hey there i have the same error with the xmfl or watever it was . i have tried reset pref option and this hasnt worked and i arnt find the appdata folder , can any body help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Bloody anoying, i played 3 seasons with no problem.then this happens:thdn:I put the cd in my daughters pc and it runs fine.i have the same pc and nope not well formed nonsence.do you think it would help if i bought a new game and started again:confused:

mine activated last night but now everytime i try to launch a window comes up saying:

Cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system

What does this mean?

I cannot find an uninstall fucntion anywhere either to restart the process, there is a uninstall folder that has no file in.

any help would be appreciated.

you have to delete from control panal then delete steam and install again i have tried this and it dont help talking about help how can they sell a game that clearly dont work.and when you try to get help there aint any.it seems to me you have to be a nasa scientist to play this game:(

please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.

well.i got my fm09 on release day and ave been playing it on a regular pc without the 3d cos my pc isnt compatible but now i have got a new laptop and when i install the game through steam i go to put in my keycode but it saz my keycode is already active so i download the fix2 and type in again and it said error -51.its been happening the last few days.but i know i have deleted cert from last pc.what can i do.i miss playin.serious withdrawl symptoms here.tanx

Hi bardi. My game still won't play, loaded game or a new game, the same error comes up. The error is, "A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in: D101GY1J/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/crash dumps". I tried to play in windowed mode but it didnt work. Thanks

is it possible that by installing the patch it could have possibly corrupted the dvd driver? it could be just a coincidence but shortly after i installed the patch v9.1.0 the dvd drive on my laptop stopped reading the disks i put in. not a problem with fm as the patch is installed but just a general query?!

is it possible that by installing the patch it could have possibly corrupted the dvd driver? it could be just a coincidence but shortly after i installed the patch v9.1.0 the dvd drive on my laptop stopped reading the disks i put in. not a problem with fm as the patch is installed but just a general query?!

I doubt it to be honest.

Hello,

Please could you offer me some assistance. I had the game installed and working fine. Then for reasons I wont go into here I had to uninstall and when I attempted again it would not work as it stated my Licence Key had already been activated.

Now I purchased a new laptop which I feel will offer better performance and wish to install the game here. How will I avoid the problem described above? Surely once I have purchased the software I can choose to install it more than once to any machine of my choosing?

Please advise as I have a £25 piece of software I cannot use at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve

please can you help me after 3 seasons of playing wiyh no prblems now after setting my team up and go to play game i get-- Not well formed(invalid token)in line 1 of highlights.and go back to steam. i have tried everything i know but to no avail please help me:confused:

Your issues are dealt with in the known issues and solutions thread here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=63556

I have a 256 Mb SiS Graphic card, earlier I was told that SiS wasn't supported and that you were working on it, but the new (9.2.0.) patch still doesn't work (latest drivers, Direct X SDK and all that is installed).

I'm guessing you still haven't done support for SiS?

also, the patch info doesn't say anything about this.

Honestly, I don't know what the patch did in terms of hardware. The Technical Support forum may be able to offer you better advice or the chance to talk to people with a similar issue?

Bloody anoying, i played 3 seasons with no problem.then this happens:thdn:I put the cd in my daughters pc and it runs fine.i have the same pc and nope not well formed nonsence.do you think it would help if i bought a new game and started again:confused:

No, buying a new game wouldn't help. Your issue can be resolved as per the above link. If that doesn't help, Customer Services will:

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

well.i got my fm09 on release day and ave been playing it on a regular pc without the 3d cos my pc isnt compatible but now i have got a new laptop and when i install the game through steam i go to put in my keycode but it saz my keycode is already active so i download the fix2 and type in again and it said error -51.its been happening the last few days.but i know i have deleted cert from last pc.what can i do.i miss playin.serious withdrawl symptoms here.tanx

Your fix can be found here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715

Failing that, contact Customer Services.

Hi bardi. My game still won't play, loaded game or a new game, the same error comes up. The error is, "A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in: D101GY1J/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/crash dumps". I tried to play in windowed mode but it didnt work. Thanks

Not sure what causes this at this point - a range of things have thrown up this error. Customer Services your best bet.

Hello,

Please could you offer me some assistance. I had the game installed and working fine. Then for reasons I wont go into here I had to uninstall and when I attempted again it would not work as it stated my Licence Key had already been activated.

Now I purchased a new laptop which I feel will offer better performance and wish to install the game here. How will I avoid the problem described above? Surely once I have purchased the software I can choose to install it more than once to any machine of my choosing?

Please advise as I have a £25 piece of software I cannot use at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve

Have you tried installing on the new laptop? Unless you'd installed the game in 5 other places before attempting, it should install absolutely fine. If it doesn't, you could try the deactivation URL in the first post of this thread to deactivate all associations with your key, then reinstall.

Cheers

Matt

Yeah mate up until 9.2.0.

I'm on a laptop with Vista by the way.

Iam also struggling with the same issue with Vista.

Unfortunatley the only advice from SI is to call the Customer Services and wait and wait, then give up.

Take game back to shop or exchange it for CM is my only recomendation.

Yeah mate up until 9.2.0.

I'm on a laptop with Vista by the way.

Iam also struggling with the same issue with Vista.

Unfortunatley the only advice from SI is to call the Customer Services and wait and wait, then give up.

Take game back to shop or exchange it for CM is my only recomendation.

CM09 is not even out yet. Why recommended that just for spite? :confused:

Anyway have you both tried to get a clean reinstall?

I have not tried a "clean reinstall" will browse the forum again for info.

Was not recommending CM09, any CM is better than what I currently have?

I have not tried a "clean reinstall" will browse the forum again for info.

Was not recommending CM09, any CM is better than what I currently have?

Well then why not say go back to FM08 or FM07 or whatever. ;) They are all better games than CM at the moment.

Anyway, to do a clean reinstall, just uninstall FM like normal and then delete all FM folders and files on your computer including clearing the cache and deleting the registry entries. Obviously remember to back up your saved games and things before doing that.

Haven't tried a thing I got scared when I was going to reinstall and it said something about uninstalling a licence?!

I have heard about steam but when I first started I just put the disc in and installed straight away I didn't have to verify anything at the time?

Sorry if i'm being really thick but i'm useless at this technical stuff.

Haven't tried a thing I got scared when I was going to reinstall and it said something about uninstalling a licence?!

I have heard about steam but when I first started I just put the disc in and installed straight away I didn't have to verify anything at the time?

Sorry if i'm being really thick but i'm useless at this technical stuff.

Don't worry. Uninstalling a licence means you get it back. You only have 5 altogether which means you can only install the game 5 times but when you uninstall the game you get the license back so you still have 5. Follow my post above but if you are useless at the technical stuff like you said you may need more help. :D Let me know. :)

Don't worry. Uninstalling a licence means you get it back. You only have 5 altogether which means you can only install the game 5 times but when you uninstall the game you get the license back so you still have 5. Follow my post above but if you are useless at the technical stuff like you said you may need more help. :D Let me know. :)

cheers jod yes I need help!

I can reinstall but you'll have to tell me how to do all the other stuff if you don't mind :)

cheers jod yes I need help!

I can reinstall but you'll have to tell me how to do all the other stuff if you don't mind :)

Yeah, I will help you do the other things. Uninstall the game first but don't install it again as the other stuff needs to be done first. Let me know when you are ready. :)

Archived