The Danny Roberts Challenge : Difficulty GODLIKE (Part 3)

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eesh Nepen, Gareth Black's record is crazy. How did he manage that? But I laugh at his pitiful penalty rating, and say that my boy Corrado still wins because his record is conceivable in the real world. :p Incidentally, he finished up at 170 caps, 160 goals. For most of his career he was better than a goal a game for the national team (something he only managed for one or two seasons at club level, I think), but it was not to be. It would've been more if I hadn't given my equally legendary goalkeeper the order to take penalties for a single game. His record at retirement - 180 caps, 3 goals.

Yeah. And the other guy usually get about 120-150 between them too. Now that I have a solid partner for Smylie, [in Youth Player 1] - if they both stay fit, I can see them both scoring 130+ each this season. Which would be a dream. I hope Smylie still bags 180ish, because he needs 6 seasons at 150 to get 3,000 goals. And he's going to be 30 next birthday, so that might not be possible.

I dare not change my tactic either. Its worked for so many years, that I feel a change would see the demise of my goals. Although, it could also do the opposite and make me win every game 20-0 :D Who knows.

Andrew Smylie - The Story so far :

2032 | Games, 45 | Goals, 85 | Assists, 13 | MoM, 20 | GPG 1.88

2033 | Games, 57 | Goals, 112 | Assists, 25 | MoM, 31 | GPG 1.96

2034 | Games, 61 | Goals, 156 | Assists, 31 | MoM, 38 | GPG 2.56

2035 | Games, 67 | Goals, 204 | Assists, 27 | MoM, 47 | GPG 3.04

2036 | Games, 53 | Goals, 190 | Assists, 26 | MoM, 37 | GPG 3.58

2037 | Games, 48 | Goals, 156 | Assists, 24 | MoM, 38 | GPG 3.25

2038 | Games, 62 | Goals, 228 | Assists, 34 | MoM, 50 | GPG 3.68

2039 | Games, 52 | Goals, 170 | Assists, 29 | MoM, 40 | GPG 3.27

2040 | Games, 61 | Goals, 181 | Assists, 38 | MoM, 47 | GPG 2.97

2041 | Games, 48 | Goals, 142 | Assists, 24 | MoM, 30 | GPG 2.96

2042 | Games, 58 | Goals, 158 | Assists, 25 | MoM, 41 | GPG 2.72

2043 | Games, 55 | Goals, 177 | Assists, 34 | MoM, 37 | GPG 3.21

2044 | Games, 60 | Goals, 185 | Assists, 35 | MoM, 41 | GPG 3.08

2045 | Games, 54 | Goals, 143 | Assists, 23 | MoM, 35 | GPG 2.65

Club Totals :

[smylie is now 30 Years Old]

Games, 781 | Goals, 2287 | Assists, 386 | MoM, 532 | GPG 2.93

N. Ireland

Games, 88 | Goals, 46

Career Totals

Games - 869

Goals - 2,333

Assists - 386

MoM - 532

Only 667 to go, however, this season he actually struggled. He got a lot of 5-7 day injuries, really breaking up his season, and not letting him hit top form for a consistent amount of time. 30 years old now, 170 for 4 seasons will see him over the 3,000 mark. 150 for 5 seasons too. If his goals start drying up as the man gets old, he could well fall short of the mark.

Injuries aside, too, he should make the 1,000 app mark.

Time to throw my name into the hat at the suggestion of Nepenthez. Keirrison will, this summer have entered the history books as having passed 1000 goals for the club. With over a hundred for Brazil as well. I'll post up his stats at the end of the season, but I have anouther striker to bring to the table for now. May stand a chance of reaching the 1,000 mark once this season is over I'll get posting up his details as well so that the first 4 seasons are complete information.

Keirrison is currently out for another 5 months, having suffered an injury towards the end of the season, and at 33, I'm not expecting him to recover to his former prowess. Anyway, here's is stats for me:

Overall Scoring record for Stoke

Away from Stoke (his time at Cortiba, Real Madrid and with Brazil) he scored another 290 goals. Meaning his career total is, 1400 goals from 772 games. I think in the next 2 years he'll go on to manage 1500 overall, but another 400 goals for stoke before he retires is unlikely. But now its time to begin looking at his replacement:

Leigh Stones

2017 | Games: 12 (3) | Goals: 9 | Assists: 4 | MoM: 2 | GpG: 0.6

2018 | Games: 6 (16) | Goals: 23 | Assists: 1 | MoM: 7 | GpG: 1.04

2019 | Games: 17 (7) | Goals: 44 | Assists: 14 | MoM: 6 | GpG: 1.83

2020 | Games: 20 (3) | Goals: 34 | Assists: 9 | MoM: 9 | GpG: 1.47

He got some games because of an injury crisis during the season 2017 when he was 14, he's currently 17 with his next birthday coming up quite soon (3rd of August) got a total of 110 goals so far from 83 games. As well as 9 goals for England from 9 appearances.

This next season he will be stepping up to replace Keirrison in my team as much as is suitable for an 18 year old, he'll be rested every game or two or subbed off to preserve him in the long run, he's not been injured yet which is hopefully a good sign of things to come, Keirrison had a habit of getting minor knee injuries during his career, with this latest one almost ending it for him I don't want him going down the same route, but he has about 15 years left in my side to get 900 goals, I think he will be easily capable of it in the long-run, providing I can keep building my team around him. Although during the last few years I've made some right clangers in terms of the selling players department.

I quite like it, have to keep a light on now though because otherwise tabbing in the dark between fm and these forums is a shock to the system my eyes can't handle. The only truly tragic thing is, before I got the Brazil job, Keirrison only had like 15 - 20 caps for the national side, despite having almost a 2-1 goals to game ration then, he was behind Marquinhos and Pato in the pecking order. He's only had about 4 years as first choice for Brazil.

gutted. I can't wait 'till the N. Ireland manager resigns / gets sacked / retired. He's been in FM08 since the 2005-6 season, with Glenavon, in 2007-08 went to Birmingham, in 2011-12 went to Southampton, and then in 2015-16 moved to Everton. He retired in 2024-25 from playing, and then in 2026 took over as N. Ireland Manager. Its now 2046, and he is still there. And most likely, because of me, and the players I produce for the national team. So basically, he's always doing more than expected, because of my success. Which leads me to believe, he will never get the sack, and I have to wait until he retires before I get the N. Ireland job. Considering he is 56, that coul be anything from 1 year, to 20. :(

Brazil were under achieving enormously, although now I have Stones coming through, I need to trounce England in the confederations cup, and world cup to hopefully get the england job. Keirrison and Stones should be a good partnership for a few years to come, in order to compensate for his lacking pace may have to ask him to unlearn trying to break the offside trap and make his mentality further up so he stays further up the pitch.

so I got a new computer and decided to try moving into the future with the FM09 demo. With Pato and Inzaghi currently both on about 30 hours without a goal and only Pirlo penalties saving me from never ever scoring ever, I get the feeling that I'll never be an active force in this topic.

Andrew Smylie - The Story so far :

2032 | Games, 45 | Goals, 85 | Assists, 13 | MoM, 20 | GPG 1.88

2033 | Games, 57 | Goals, 112 | Assists, 25 | MoM, 31 | GPG 1.96

2034 | Games, 61 | Goals, 156 | Assists, 31 | MoM, 38 | GPG 2.56

2035 | Games, 67 | Goals, 204 | Assists, 27 | MoM, 47 | GPG 3.04

2036 | Games, 53 | Goals, 190 | Assists, 26 | MoM, 37 | GPG 3.58

2037 | Games, 48 | Goals, 156 | Assists, 24 | MoM, 38 | GPG 3.25

2038 | Games, 62 | Goals, 228 | Assists, 34 | MoM, 50 | GPG 3.68

2039 | Games, 52 | Goals, 170 | Assists, 29 | MoM, 40 | GPG 3.27

2040 | Games, 61 | Goals, 181 | Assists, 38 | MoM, 47 | GPG 2.97

2041 | Games, 48 | Goals, 142 | Assists, 24 | MoM, 30 | GPG 2.96

2042 | Games, 58 | Goals, 158 | Assists, 25 | MoM, 41 | GPG 2.72

2043 | Games, 55 | Goals, 177 | Assists, 34 | MoM, 37 | GPG 3.21

2044 | Games, 60 | Goals, 185 | Assists, 35 | MoM, 41 | GPG 3.08

2045 | Games, 54 | Goals, 143 | Assists, 23 | MoM, 35 | GPG 2.65

2046 | Games, 59 | Goals, 159 | Assists, 30 | MoM, 36 | GPG 2.69

Club Totals :

[smylie is now 31 Years Old]

Games, 840 | Goals, 2446 | Assists, 416 | MoM, 568 | GPG 2.93

N. Ireland

Games, 95 | Goals, 51

*Smylie is now N. Irelands All Time Record Goal Scorer

Career Totals

Games - 935

Goals - 2,497

Assists - 416

MoM - 568

A big season. I was worried that he might be dropping off the pace. He's struggling to hit 3 goals per game now though. Small improvement on last season, although this time around, he had a 4 week injury lay off, right at the end of the season, when the fixtures pile up. He missed 11 games in total this season.

503 To go. :D

Smylie will almost definitely get 3,000. He'll bag 130-150 for 3 more seasons, which will take him to 34. Wallace retired age 37. So he might get as many as 3,400 or 3,500.

I don't think dunlop will get close to smylie, because smylie still has 7 more years as the main man, which means when he retires, Dunlop will be 30. And only then will he move into Smylies position on the right side. He may get around 1600 to 1800. 2,000 would be a massive push, and a special achievement if he made it that far.

In the building of my team to support keirrison through to his players pension, and Stones through his prime Stoke announced a 'staggering' loss of 115m due to transfer expenditure of 234m (on 2 players). Quite amusing to see I've lost that much money and it makes no difference to my bank balance at all, if I go below 700m the chairman injects 700m lol.

Keirrison should be back in training by the end of august (targetting an end of september return to the first team), I sacked my physio (realised he only had 8 for physio - after being at the club since the second season in the game - and that was the best) and brought in some others, and the injury time went from 1 - 3 months in the middle of july to 4 - 6 weeks.

Anyway, this post is just a recap of Stones pre-season, 19 goals in 8 appearances isn't a bad start for the lad. If you have any saves perhaps you should take Smylie into the premiership see how he fares there, or even move your entire team across if theres any editors that facilitate it, just as an experiment - see whether you robbed him of a legendary career at the top lol.

For Stone's to become as good as Keirrison I think he really needs to bag a good 70 - 80 goals this season, he has the potential to be better according to my coaching staff, and he's progressed very well up until the point he's at now.

How many goals did Danny Roberts manage in his career btw, I know Keirrison has no chance of beating Smylie now, but I would like him to be as the highest known premiership scorer we've had on these forums. It's a shame Keirrison didn't come to my side at 16 though, what a legend he could have been if I'd had him 4 years earlier.

Doesn't want to stay in the game :(
Just spotted that as well roberto :( Nep, you need to convince him to stay on after he stops playing as a coach. Tell him every month through player interaction that he'd make a good coach and he'll change his mind :thup:

I've tried using the media to get him to stay in the game, but it keeps changing back to won't stay in the game.

How many goals did Danny Roberts manage in his career btw, I know Keirrison has no chance of beating Smylie now, but I would like him to be as the highest known premiership scorer we've had on these forums. It's a shame Keirrison didn't come to my side at 16 though, what a legend he could have been if I'd had him 4 years earlier.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure Kerrison has already scored more. Roberts got about 1,100 prem goals, + England goals

Keirrison on his return scored 8 goals against West Brom (in part of a 16-0 win lol), which was nice to see, still has the killer touch it seems at times, didn't score in the second. I'm working on trying to persuade Keirrison to stay in the game, but I'm beginning to suspect he won't. I do have another challenge at Stoke which is to try and get a player to outlast the legendary Stanley Matthews who managed 50 years and 5 days. Closest on any FM I got was Gary Neville on FM07 who got to 49 so I'm hoping with 20 games a season or so Keirrison keeps going like him.

I've never had a first team regular announce retirement on this game, and have tested the theory on a couple of lower league saves with players in their latter 40's so if he stays injury free it could add a reason to keep playing this save longer.

Not sure if you have this with Smylie now as he's getting older, but has his consistency dropped? Keirrison has for the first time in many years been going a couple of games without a goal now. But then, he goes and takes the mick a bit by scoring a truck load in one or two games (8 against West Brom, and 12 against Derby).

I have found the way he scores so many against these teams, tell the media I'm going all out, play defensively and put Keirrison's mentality slider up. He goes to town on them, but it hasn't worked against established premier league clubs and higher. I'm just praying in the FA cup I get non-league/league 2 opposition (which surprisingly, in over 10 years hasn't happened).

Another query is about u21 caps/goals do they count as well in to a players career total. It's just that at the moment, Stones plays more often than not for both the senior and u21 side. He must have a bucket load of goals for the u21's.

I can't really say if his consistency is flailing or not. He had a bad start to last season, but that was because of something I was trying out tactically that failed. He scored 2.7 GPG last season, which is a fantastic average for a 31 year old :D

U21 Caps and Goals do not count. Because the Full caps override the U21s, it was just easier to discount them. Also, when talking about a player in the international term, you never hear about the U21 stuff, unless they're quite new to the full sqaud. [For example, you don't hear the fact that Michael Owen has scored 48 goals for England, you only hear about his Full Cap goals]

Fair enough, just wondered if they did count. After looking at Smylie's record, I'm always looking at my strikers thinking its not good enough but then realise an average of 2+ a game is actually excellent. My team is doing quite well though, 14 played, 81 scored so my side are scoring more than ever. Just wish I hadn't loaded so much so I could fly through my seasons lol.

Keirrison's brazil record is insane, but its largely due to the sheer lack of any remote competitiveness in south america. The qualifiers are a joke for the world cup, scored 94 goals in qualifiers, which were mostly from Keirrison. He's got 153 goals from 77 caps. The best team I've played aside from England in the confederations cup, in the last 3 years is USA.

Keirrison's brazil record is insane, but its largely due to the sheer lack of any remote competitiveness in south america. The qualifiers are a joke for the world cup, scored 94 goals in qualifiers, which were mostly from Keirrison. He's got 153 goals from 77 caps. The best team I've played aside from England in the confederations cup, in the last 3 years is USA.

I made some changes to my tactic, and I have no clue what happened because of it... currently mid-march and my team is playing like never before.

Stones - played 46 - scored 111 - 53 assists

Keirrison - played 37 - scored 125 - 38 assists

But for the first time not only have I got 2 strikers free-scoring, my midfield has contributed 80 goals already, and has 171 assists.

My team has already scored 337 in 47 games (7.2 goals a game), the changes I made were mainly upfront, I gave Leigh Stones the instructions Keirrison had, and did away with the targetman other striker and just put him a bit further up the pitch and gave him a free-role.

Mind you, the spanish league pinched a lot of the good managers from the premier league over the course of the last 18 months. In the thread about AI managers being poor etc I did on the general I mentioned it in there, basically the 5 or 6 remaining good managers have gone from England to Spain, Real Madrids rediculous domination has ended, but its made the English league far too easy.

I tried changes to facilitate Keirrisons declining stats now, with the other striker meant to take over his role in the team. But in the last 5 games my team had:

127 shots

66 on target

There were 2 games against Valencia, 1 against Chelsea, 1 against Arsenal and 1 against championship side Cardiff in the FA cup. AI teams have deteriorated enormously. But when creating that many chances going to end up finishing a fair amount. Against weaker teams my shots per game are probably quite a bit higher.

On the general board I put up a thread about how AI managers CA's were becoming lower and lower in the premiership, and its probably getting lower and lower.

• 2 weeks later...

The decision to bring in a new CM and LM definitely helped my side score more goals, as did the changes to further increase how far upfield my frontline played. Stones ended up playing 65 games this year, I think he missed 1 maybe 2 games at most as he's had an injury free season. Managed a total of 152 goals, and 72 assists which I was astonished by. The best I've ever had from a single player before is just below the 40 mark, but he's often knocking it on to Keirrison who scores a lot, but my wingers both also score quite easily now, as do my CM's.

Leigh Stones 2020

Leigh Stones 2021

2017 | Games: 12 (3) | Goals: 9 | Assists: 4 | MoM: 2 | GpG: 0.6

2018 | Games: 6 (16) | Goals: 23 | Assists: 1 | MoM: 7 | GpG: 1.04

2019 | Games: 17 (7) | Goals: 44 | Assists: 14 | MoM: 6 | GpG: 1.83

2020 | Games: 20 (3) | Goals: 34 | Assists: 9 | MoM: 9 | GpG: 1.47

2021 | Games: 65 (0) | Goals: 152 | Assists: 72 | MoM: 30 | GpG: 2.33

It does seem any relatively quick player in the Keirrison role will score a hatful, but this season my main title contenders were gone, Cardiff had already been relegated (the previous season they went from predicted 3rd and finished second bottom); Leeds only just scraped survival this season after being predicted 2nd and Watford were in mid-table anonymity. Arsenal are now playing a team of ageing veterans and my cast-offs. There was a shock though as Blackpool held me to a 2-2 draw, and they finished 8th and are beginning to look very dangerous against some teams as they took some pretty impressive (for my save at least) names down last season, and Wycombe are becoming big-boys as well.

Stones has a career total of 278 goals so far for club and country, turns 19 in a couple of months. Before its asked, yes I groomed him in the same manner as Keirrison, but at 14/15 years old, so he's been doing it for a while already, just keeping his competance in both CM and CB up every few months, carefully managing his career. It's slowing my seasons down a lot, as you can see 3 weeks to complete a season because I spend all my time focusing on this lad lol.

Archived