SV (right DM)

DMs (left DM)

ENG (AMC)

WINGERS X2 

CFs

Can't remember TIs but will attempt to upload a screenshot later on 

Apologies again for the mistske

Okay. How do you see this playing out?

What role does the enganche fill if you use two wingers who bypass him and will look to cross from deep or from the byline?

Why is the striker a support role when you are getting crosses into the box constantly because you use wingers? Who is actually getting into scoring areas apart from the striker? The striker will be arriving late because of the support duty.

What role does the SV play? Link up play and drive forward for who?

I don't see who is providing the goal threat. It's full of roles that run and move but no-one who would use the movement. I also only see 1 constant type of supply too and that would be mainly crosses.

I guess what I'm asking you is, who is going to score the goals, who is supplying those balls, who is providing support, who is getting into the box and so on. And how do the roles you currently use, all link together to provide those answers. Currently, I'm struggling to see how it all links together. The roles/duties are a bit imbalanced for me.

I talk about all these issues in this thread;

Also the below is for a different shape but all the principles are the same. You need to understand how the roles/duties you use all link together;

https://teaandbusquets.com/blog/piecing-it-all-together

Relax, take a deep breath and let's get back to basics.

On 14/01/2019 at 16:16, the SLC said:

Manchester United_  Overview.png

Tactic 1

On 15/01/2019 at 13:21, the SLC said:

Manchester United_  Overview-3.png

Tactic 2

In every tactic that you create, there need to be some fundamental building blocks and they appear to be missing in your tactics. Going back to the title of your post there is a distinct lack of those ingredients you correctly mention as the key to creating goals.

Tactic 1

- You don't have a holding midfielder that does all the dirty work. Every tactic needs a defend duty in the central midfield, only in exceptional circumstances when coming up against weak opposition is it feasible to operate without one. There are a number of reasons why it's important and every successful team in real football has had one which frees up the other more advanced players to contribute less defensively. 

- The key to making a successful 4-2-3-1 is understanding the importance of the double pivot in the midfield. The central midfield partnership needs to be conservative offensively as they are key cogs that link your defence to the attack. For e.g. Pogba wouldn't be a very good choice of partner for the defend duty central midfielder as he is very aggressive in his forward movements.

- There isn't a clear #9 and #10 strike partnership. What you have is in effect one #9 (DLF (A)) and two False #10s (AM(A) & IF(A)) who will operate like number 9s. Another issue is that they all want to attack the same space but nobody is creating the space they want to use with movement. Therefore, through the selection of those roles alone, you have eliminated all the aspects which are important to create goals. There is no movement ahead of the ball to create any space, as a result, there is no space for your deeper players to run into which is exacerbated with such an aggressive mentality. Finally, there isn't very much supply except crosses. 

- Your left flank is completely open if your attacks break down in the final third. In fact, your tactic overall is exceptionally vulnerable to counter attacks. The wide partnerships aren't complimentary. Your winger and wingback want to both occupy the same space. A wingback is a role you should use when you have no wide player ahead of him or have an advanced wide player that is going to sit narrow or wants to cut inside. It's also a good idea to synchronize the movement of the advanced wide player (cutting inside) with the onset of the overlap of the fullback that way they create space for each other.  

Tactic 2

- The front 4 consists of a #9 (AF), a False 10 (IF), & two number #10s (AP & AM). This isn't balanced and again suffers from the same problems as your first tactic in that everybody wants to attack centrally.

There are other issues but that's quite a lot of things to start and I don't want to overload you.

I don't feel you have a clear idea in your mind as to how you want to play and that is the problem. Without a vision as to what you are expecting to see you are beginning to clutch at straws and just changing things based on individual events and hoping for the best. You need to reset and start from the beginning. You have a starting point when you mention free flowing attacking football but you need to expand on that and really get into the specifics.

All the best

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Okay. How do you see this playing out?

What role does the enganche fill if you use two wingers who bypass him and will look to cross from deep or from the byline?

Why is the striker a support role when you are getting crosses into the box constantly because you use wingers? Who is actually getting into scoring areas apart from the striker? The striker will be arriving late because of the support duty.

What role does the SV play? Link up play and drive forward for who?

I don't see who is providing the goal threat. It's full of roles that run and move but no-one who would use the movement. I also only see 1 constant type of supply too and that would be mainly crosses.

I guess what I'm asking you is, who is going to score the goals, who is supplying those balls, who is providing support, who is getting into the box and so on. And how do the roles you currently use, all link together to provide those answers. Currently, I'm struggling to see how it all links together. The roles/duties are a bit imbalanced for me.

I talk about all these issues in this thread;

Also the below is for a different shape but all the principles are the same. You need to understand how the roles/duties you use all link together;

https://teaandbusquets.com/blog/piecing-it-all-together

This is exactly what I struggle to understand. The roles and what they do let alone how they all work together. 

I'm with the kids but will have a read of your article whilst the kids run around like loonys.

@the SLC / @tuffers007

On a side note, I'm afraid duplicate/alias accounts are not allowed on the forum.  Please let me know which one I should close down (I'm assuming tuffers as that hasn't really been used for a long time, but won't do anything until you confirm).

Back on topic, and to follow up cleon's post, who is actually attacking the box?  Personally if I am playing a 4231 I'll give my striker an attack duty to get him worrying the opposition defence and to try to free up space behind for the AMC.  Alternatively if using a support duty striker I'll want the AMC to attack the box and/or someone coming in off the wing - such as a raumdeuter.

You're kind of in no man's land at present.  You're saying to the opposition that you'll either ping in some crosses to nobody or you'll dick around in front of the defence for a while and may be try a long shot or two.  Attack the box.

26 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@the SLC / @tuffers007

On a side note, I'm afraid duplicate/alias accounts are not allowed on the forum.  Please let me know which one I should close down (I'm assuming tuffers as that hasn't really been used for a long time, but won't do anything until you confirm).

Back on topic, and to follow up cleon's post, who is actually attacking the box?  Personally if I am playing a 4231 I'll give my striker an attack duty to get him worrying the opposition defence and to try to free up space behind for the AMC.  Alternatively if using a support duty striker I'll want the AMC to attack the box and/or someone coming in off the wing - such as a raumdeuter.

You're kind of in no man's land at present.  You're saying to the opposition that you'll either ping in some crosses to nobody or you'll dick around in front of the defence for a while and may be try a long shot or two.  Attack the box.

Can you delete tuffers007 please. I couldn't remember my password so I created a new one then low and behold this morning it just came to me after all these years. 

I'm currently reading cleons article which is very good and simply written for us thickies so hopefully the next creation will be better.

Cheers for all the advice. I need to put more thought in to things and not rush things  

23 minutes ago, the SLC said:

This is exactly what I struggle to understand. The roles and what they do let alone how they all work together. 

I'm with the kids but will have a read of your article whilst the kids run around like loonys.

Understanding what a role does is simple, there's no need to make it more complicated than it is. Look at the description of the role then look at the settings the role comes with. Instantly you know what the role kind of does and doesn't do. It's all in the settings the role/duty comes with. So you'll have a basic understanding of what the player is supposed to do. If we take your wingers for example you'd see;

Support Duty - Stays wider, runs wide with the ball, dribbles more, crosses more often. The greyed out options of crosses more often and dribbles more are hardcoded. So instantly you know these are the bread and butter of what the role does.

Attack Duty - Stays wider, runs wide with the ball, dribbles more, crosses more often, crosses from byline, takes more risks and gets further forward. The hardcoded instructions this time are crosses more often, takes more risks, holds position, cross from byline and dribbles more.

Now you can see how the roles differ on each duty. But they still do the same things regardless of duty, it's just how they do it that differs when you change duty. If you use the winger, then we know they'll be doing crosses very often into the box. So now you know you need attacking players to get into the box to get onto the end of the crosses. If you don't have players getting in the box, then why even use wingers to begin with. You'd be better suited to a different role. But as you use wingers, you now need to put bodies in the box. Automatically this dictates the kind of roles you should be looking for in the striker or AMC (or even both). You don't want too many people dropping off or no-one will get on the end of the crosses. Now what you should do is look at the striker roles, which ones stay in and around the box and will be able to get onto the crosses. If you look at the striker settings for all the roles you'll be able to eliminate which roles are suited and which aren't. You'll see which ones play lower down the pitch and drop off the front rather than push up and use the space in the box.

Then apply this to the AMC too.

If we go back to the wingers, we know what they do. So now focus on who is going to supply them the ball. Are the fullbacks going to provide them the ball? Are the midfielders set up to pass the ball to them, or do you use roles which drive forward with the ball and ultimately won't be feeding the wingers the ball?

These are the sort of things you need to look at when deciding if a role is suitable or not. 

another attempt (i have lost count how many attempts ive tried) 

having read the advice and hopefully understanding it this what i have gone for.

with the comment of no one attacking the box i have changed the striker to a poacher role. also opted for a inside forward on the left to get in to the box. the two roles im unsure off are the AP. my thinking is that he creates the chances for the poacher and inside forward. with him sitting in that hole somewhere between the mid and attack it makes space for my wing back to run in to. which in turn adds another passing option should the through ball not be available. the AMC i have just left on support as i really am unsure about this. i have played 4 games with this setup so far winning 3 and drawing 1. at home i play two quite creative dms as im hopeful of being the stronger team plus there is always that risk v reward that @Cleonhas mentioned previously. away i was thinking about changing the rpm to something more stable and defensive minded.

you will also note the very basic TIs

2088340649_CrystalPalacevManUtd_TacticsTactics.thumb.png.d7ade324086f4a1bdef0bdc27058c2ef.png  

in this next image. the amc has just received the ball from the keeper. but the positions of my players seems ok and along the right track. the poacher immediately runs at the defence. the ap has come in slightly completely unmarked and it looks like my wing back is going to take full advantage of this if he can shake off his marker. 

the rpm and inside forward are also unmarked. 

i think it looks ok but could also indicate the opponents stratergy against me? are they planning on sitting deep?

124995120_CrystalPalacevManUtd_MatchPitch.thumb.jpg.ed79d6533aa7810d9d1844bea6fe36cc.jpg

3 minutes ago, the SLC said:

having read the advice and hopefully understanding it this what i have gone for.

with the comment of no one attacking the box i have changed the striker to a poacher role. also opted for a inside forward on the left to get in to the box. the two roles im unsure off are the AP. my thinking is that he creates the chances for the poacher and inside forward. with him sitting in that hole somewhere between the mid and attack it makes space for my wing back to run in to. which in turn adds another passing option should the through ball not be available. the AMC i have just left on support as i really am unsure about this. i have played 4 games with this setup so far winning 3 and drawing 1. at home i play two quite creative dms as im hopeful of being the stronger team plus there is always that risk v reward that @Cleonhas mentioned previously. away i was thinking about changing the rpm to something more stable and defensive minded.

2088340649_CrystalPalacevManUtd_TacticsTactics.thumb.png.d7ade324086f4a1bdef0bdc27058c2ef.png  

That midfield two is very risky, they both venture forward and the SV is the most aggressive role on the game. So him and the RPM will get deep in the oppositions half. This could become crowded and/or leave you exposed to the counter. If both go forward and you lose possession, you have no midfield and the opposition can just walk through it. 

Just now, Cleon said:

That midfield two is very risky, they both venture forward and the SV is the most aggressive role on the game. So him and the RPM will get deep in the oppositions half. This could become crowded and/or leave you exposed to the counter. If both go forward and you lose possession, you have no midfield and the opposition can just walk through it. 

right cheers i have witnessed that to some extent which is why i thought of a more stable mid along side. 

after taking in @cleons advice in regards to the dms pushing too far forward i have changed the the rpm to that of anchor man. now looking at the screen shot in the game v brighton its showing that he is still advancing. could that be down to the opposition sitting deep maybe? 

633369001_ManUtdvBrighton_AnalysisPlayers.thumb.png.a7aa411cf9181b7f2281a8c8d08e9b02.png

also looking a the possession screen im mostly camped outside the box which is kind of what i want isnt it? but i am still having too many long shots. does that mean there is no better option in front of them? how do i get those shots closer to goal increasing my shots on goal stat therefore increasing my shot conversion. 

im using  a poacher to hopefully occupy the back line along with an inside forward. with an ap to supply those two players

Man Utd v Brighton_ Analysis Teams.png

after taking in @cleons advice in regards to the dms pushing too far forward i have changed the the rpm to that of anchor man. now looking at the screen shot in the game v brighton its showing that he is still advancing. could that be down to the opposition sitting deep maybe? 

633369001_ManUtdvBrighton_AnalysisPlayers.thumb.png.a7aa411cf9181b7f2281a8c8d08e9b02.png

also looking a the possession screen im mostly camped outside the box which is kind of what i want isnt it? but i am still having too many long shots. does that mean there is no better option in front of them? how do i get those shots closer to goal increasing my shots on goal stat therefore increasing my shot conversion. 

im using  a poacher to hopefully occupy the back line along with an inside forward. with an ap to supply those two players

also how can i increase the number of key passes? over 400 passes in the game and only 5 key passes. 

Man Utd v Brighton_ Analysis Teams.png

same game stopped after we gain possession. you can see the CB has the ball and has many options to pass. the red line shows how i expect the players to react due to their role. poacher is attacking the back line. the wingbacks are looking to make that overlap should the opportunity arise. the AMC and AP i dont exect to move forward so much so i would think they are the most viable option to receive a pass.  the SV doesnt seem to be marked but it does look like their number 39 is on his way which will leave ample space for either the poacher or raumdeuter to exploit if not the surely that will allow for him to receive a very simple pass. 

i cant emphasize this enough, im learning so i could very wrong!

1618507371_QPRvManUtd_MatchPitch-3.thumb.jpg.3fc12e842972ab5fa788b2e763b7bae6.jpg

On 20/01/2019 at 15:26, the SLC said:

Looking at the tactic you've created, I'd have a read of Cleon's 4231 article again. One thing he emphasis consistently is the need for variety in attack. Is there a need for an AP-S and an AM-S? Even though you've changed the RPM to an Anchor, you've still got the Volante, AP-S, AM-S and IF-A all looking to use the centre, plus the striker is there too. One thing I'd consider is who do you want the main goal scorer to be? If that's the striker (which I'm assuming it is because he's a Poacher, doesn't look to do much else), who's supplying him the ball? How are they doing so? Once you've done this, think about how you're going to get the ball to the supplier. 

For example, Poacher's thrive of crosses and through balls. So what does this mean? Well, you could have a winger (attack or support) swinging in crosses from outside. Next, who is going to give the winger the ball? If the winger is on attack duty, you could have the full-back playing more direct and/or risky passes, to try and find him early. Or the SV could be the provider, driving up the pitch with the ball, hopefully dragging the opposition's FB to him before releasing the ball. I'm not saying this is the only way of creating a tactic, but think along these lines and you'll be much closer to where you want to be. 

6 hours ago, jc577 said:

Looking at the tactic you've created, I'd have a read of Cleon's 4231 article again. One thing he emphasis consistently is the need for variety in attack. Is there a need for an AP-S and an AM-S? Even though you've changed the RPM to an Anchor, you've still got the Volante, AP-S, AM-S and IF-A all looking to use the centre, plus the striker is there too. One thing I'd consider is who do you want the main goal scorer to be? If that's the striker (which I'm assuming it is because he's a Poacher, doesn't look to do much else), who's supplying him the ball? How are they doing so? Once you've done this, think about how you're going to get the ball to the supplier. 

For example, Poacher's thrive of crosses and through balls. So what does this mean? Well, you could have a winger (attack or support) swinging in crosses from outside. Next, who is going to give the winger the ball? If the winger is on attack duty, you could have the full-back playing more direct and/or risky passes, to try and find him early. Or the SV could be the provider, driving up the pitch with the ball, hopefully dragging the opposition's FB to him before releasing the ball. I'm not saying this is the only way of creating a tactic, but think along these lines and you'll be much closer to where you want to be. 

well put. i hadnt taken into account who was going to supply the poacher and never thought of how they would be positioned on the pitch along with the space they all want/need. 

my reasoning behind the AP was he sits in narrow allowing the WB space to attack which i was seeing happen. but i hadnt thought the whole thing through. 

is it ok to play with two wingers? is that not too easy for the opposition to defend or is this where the SV comes in to play as he is an option outside the box in case the cross isnt on? 

if thats the case then what do i do about the AM what role would be suitable? he should be looking to get into the box if crosses are coming in, right?

all great advice and i am trying to take it all in, i promise!!

another creation. another save due to my sacking. still at united and just entered January 1st season. 

sticking with the poacher but gone for two wingers. an amc behind the striker to both attack the box and supply the poacher. im doing ok. lukaku is the poacher and is my main goal scorer which is what i wanted. the highlight so far is a 6-0 victory against liverpool.

goal types and assist. it appears to be doing what i had hoped. crosses and goals!!

too many goals conceded especially in the the penalty area

Manchester United_ Analysis Goals-4.png

Manchester United_ Analysis Goals-3.png

Manchester United_ Analysis Goals-2.png

Manchester United_ Analysis Goals.png

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

Honestly, I don't like this (type of) tactic at all, but given that you are topping the table in May (at the end of season), it obviously works very well for you. So it's great :thup::)

whats the issue you have with it?

34 minutes ago, the SLC said:

whats the issue you have with it?

There’s no variety mate, your only real plan of attack is crosses into the box. Also, what’s the thinking behind having the midfielders staggered?

35 minutes ago, jc577 said:

There’s no variety mate, your only real plan of attack is crosses into the box. Also, what’s the thinking behind having the midfielders staggered?

I read somewhere that the BBM arrived quite quickly in the final 3rd so I thought I would try it. 

And yes most goals come from crosses but the 3 other midfielders seem to be able to make themselves available for the pass should the cross not be an option. Using a poacher I thought that would be the sensible option, to cross.

What would you do different?

12 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

As I said, given that it brings you good results, simply ignore my comment and play the way you like :thup:

I'm just curious that's all. I'm eager to learn how to play the game so any advice is more than welcome. 

53 minutes ago, the SLC said:

What would you do different?

I think it's solid. It is somewhat 1 dimensional, with a focus on crosses and wingplay. But BBM plays a good support role in a very wide open midfield and the DM (s) can play the holding midfielder role to recycle possession. It's a little vulnerable on defense, but not terribly.

Only instruction that really doesn't make sense to me is shorter passing. But if it works, it works.

51 minutes ago, the SLC said:

I'm just curious that's all. I'm eager to learn how to play the game so any advice is more than welcome. 

I understand you, but making changes to a tactic that works - and yours clearly works, according to the 1st position on the table - can lead to undesired consequences. You have very good players at Man Utd, so their quality is probably compensating for tactical flaws. If I told you what I would have changed and you followed my suggestions, I fear the "new" tactic could fail, mainly because your players would need some time to get accustomed to the changes made. Besides, there are many approaches to how one can make a good and well-balanced tactic, so different people would probably offer you different types of advice, which would make it very difficult for you to decide which one is the "best" :)

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I understand you, but making changes to a tactic that works - and yours clearly works, according to the 1st position on the table - can lead to undesired consequences. You have very good players at Man Utd, so their quality is probably compensating for tactical flaws. If I told you what I would have changed and you followed my suggestions, I fear the "new" tactic could fail, mainly because your players would need some time to get accustomed to the changes made. Besides, there are many approaches to how one can make a good and well-balanced tactic, so different people would probably offer you different types of advice, which would make it very difficult for you to decide which one is the "best" :)

I'm finding that trial and error is the best way for me to learn so please tell me what flaws you see

11 hours ago, the SLC said:

I'm finding that trial and error is the best way for me to learn so please tell me what flaws you see

I agree that trial and error are a very good (if not even the best) way to learn about FM, and tactics in particular.

Now that you are insisting so much to hear my opinion on your tactic, I'll tell you not what I regard as the "flaws" (because it's relative), but rather what I would look to avoid in terms of tactics creation. So here it is (putting the asymmetric formation aside):

- defensively shaky setup of roles and duties (with both fullbacks bombing forward, and nobody in the midfield being primarily responsible for protecting the defense)

- an overkill of team instructions in possession (some of which - such as focus play down L & R -  only aggravate the defensive vulnerabilities I mentioned above)

- the setup of both roles and duties for the front four (one-dimensional on the flanks with both players as wingers on support, and then in the middle two very much attack-minded roles one behind the other, and both on attacking duty, which makes them isolated)

And a question I always ask people: why don't you use the counter-attacks in transition?

• 1 month later...

ive gone back to this still with united and in season 2. new tactic new idea. poacher main scorer as usual. opted for poacher as he doesnt have the move into channels ppi. 

hopefully i have enough movement and creativity along with variety behind. only TI i have ticked is counter as i am taking things slow. 

first game home v fc salzburg. 

ignore players picked that was an error by me.

Manchester United_  Overview-5.png

It relies a lot of the poacher as main goalscorer.  A lot of players queueing up behind him to assist or support.  Think I'd prefer another player to get in the goals too but try it and see how it goes.  By the way this was a good post earlier in your thread....

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:27, Cleon said:

Understanding what a role does is simple, there's no need to make it more complicated than it is. Look at the description of the role then look at the settings the role comes with. Instantly you know what the role kind of does and doesn't do. It's all in the settings the role/duty comes with. So you'll have a basic understanding of what the player is supposed to do...….

19 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

It relies a lot of the poacher as main goalscorer.  A lot of players queueing up behind him to assist or support.  Think I'd prefer another player to get in the goals too but try it and see how it goes.  By the way this was a good post earlier in your thread....

i thought the treq would act like  a second striker as well as creator

On 21/03/2019 at 11:14, the SLC said:

Well I got sacked again. I think I'll give up now. Im clearly failing to understand the game even with all the advice I've received personally and via the forum. 

Game over 

Hopefully you can take some time away from the game and feel less frustrated. If you do decide to come back and give it another go, I might suggest trying a new save, possibly one with a team in the lower leagues.

Playing as "your" team, especially one that's expected to succeed, may be putting too much pressure on you to figure it all out in one go. Playing as another team might give you more freedom to experiment and fail, with an emphasis on "fail", because that's the only way that we as humans make meaningful progress when learning something.

(And ultimately, if you don't think that it's worth it, don't let me or anybody else talk you into spending more time. Only pick it up again when you feel like the time is right. It's just a game, after all.)

On 21/03/2019 at 19:14, the SLC said:

Well I got sacked again. I think I'll give up now. Im clearly failing to understand the game even with all the advice I've received personally and via the forum. 

Game over 

Without reading all the Thread, what are you trying to achieve as i recently was at the same point as you are i might be able to bring some light into the dark. What do you mean by "fast flowing attacking football"?

• Which formation do you want to use
  • What kind of offensive football? Fast (Counter) or Slow (possession) transition?
  • What kind of defensive Football? High Press / Gegenpress or some Deeper sitting Style?

9 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Without reading all the Thread, what are you trying to achieve as i recently was at the same point as you are i might be able to bring some light into the dark. What do you mean by "fast flowing attacking football"?

• Which formation do you want to use
  • What kind of offensive football? Fast (Counter) or Slow (possession) transition?
  • What kind of defensive Football? High Press / Gegenpress or some Deeper sitting Style?

i really like the old fashioned 442. down the wing cross it in while my central mids do the hard work and ping some lovely balls forward for the strikers. I do not have a vast knowledge of the game or football in general but i know what i would like to see happen. one variation of a 442, i did see that to some extent. however i had far too many draws and beaten by inferior teams that i got the sack as per usual..

defending wise i have tried various types. a high press to nullify the opposition but all i saw was my team turn to jelly, conceding too may goals on the counter. 

i tried sitting deep and and i conceded long shots for fun. 

i struggled to find a balance to the defending that i gave up on it and went for the we will score more than you mentality which i also failed at.

i have tried writing down my results to help me understand better but i am clearly failing at the game. admittedly i am a casual gamer who doesn't have the time to play as much as i would like. 30 mins here and there if im lucky. 

Archived