Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do people here feel about centre backs scoring a lot from set pieces?

I've recently found out that there may be yet another 'corner bug' with this version of the game, leading to unrealistic numbers of goals. I've not changed my tactics since the game was released but I've now got a defender who is scoring for fun. I've checked and I'm not using the so called exploit, although this defender does take up the 'key position'. He's now got 12 goals from 44 games (5 from 32 in the league) which I consider a lot but perhaps not quite out of the question. I'm joint top for goals from corners in my league, so my numbers don't look too out of place but I'm definitely doing well for set pieces.

Where would you draw the line and change the routine to tone things down? Or would you take advantage of it and go for more goals (which I know I could do but won't)?

I agree with Deisler in that if you've had the system from the beginning then you can be happy. It's when you knowingly change your set up to exploit the known 'bug'. 12 goals in 44 games is above average but I wouldn't say excessive. I remember a few seasons back Lescott getting 8 or 9 and Gallas getting at least 5 so for your centre half to have 5 league goals is about average i'd say.

Like this you mean?

Career overview

[code*]Type what you want[/code*]

Remove asterisks

Thanks, thats what i was after.

Also how do i make a picture into text. So for example i have some text called 'league table' and when you click on it it brings up the picture of league table i uploaded to say imageshack?

I agree with Deisler in that if you've had the system from the beginning then you can be happy. It's when you knowingly change your set up to exploit the known 'bug'. 12 goals in 44 games is above average but I wouldn't say excessive. I remember a few seasons back Lescott getting 8 or 9 and Gallas getting at least 5 so for your centre half to have 5 league goals is about average i'd say.

Looking back it seems he scored a lot against weak opposition in the cups, he even managed a hattrick.

Just now I've just beaten another weak team in the cup, with all four goals coming from corners (with four different scorers) which is the same amount we've scored in eight league games. Goals from corners do seem a bit excessive, but it only seems to be against the much weaker teams.

Guys. what about an OT thread for here?

This thread has sometimes been used for off topic stuff, although most of it is forum/FM related. If there's something really important/interesting that needs saying then please go ahead and use this thread.

England, Spain, Italy, USA, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Egypt. I suppose I could just start somewhere that isn't New Zealand but do not want to risk it. I even downloaded FMRTE and put my managers reputation up to 10,000 making him have a full world class reputation and still could not get a job. I think if your reputation is made in one country that has a low rep then getting another job is a lot harder.

Here's a thought. Is there an inherent snobbery on this board? If you're not starting off in Mali Division 2 on a journeyman save, you're less regarded / read than others? Or is it the power of the writing? Just a subject to provoke conversation really!

Was there much overlap in the reputation of the NZ league and the others?

I think that was the problem New Zealand is half a star and BSP is higher I think. I have seen people unable to move from Africa to any jobs at all anywhere in the world but I am not sure what leagues they had loaded. Rancer I think it was suggested you can only move to a league that is half a star higher than your current one, I think that is what he said anyway.

Here's a thought. Is there an inherent snobbery on this board? If you're not starting off in Mali Division 2 on a journeyman save, you're less regarded / read than others? Or is it the power of the writing? Just a subject to provoke conversation really!

I like any threads for me a journeyman save can be entertaining starting with a second tier team or even a low down top side like Blackpool. The ones I do not read much are non-league to EPL I am not having a go at anyone but I find them as boring as starting as Barcelona, obviously there are a few exceptions. I find there are too many of them on here I like change reading about people moving countries rather than building one side up. I think there might be a little bit of what you mentioned but for me that opening few posts let me know if I will like a thread or not.

I think if you are planning on a journeyman career then people will expect you to start off at a pretty low level, since it is the progression up through the clubs that is appealing. That's not to say that it is impossible to create an interesting read in the higher leagues, just that it may be less appealing to a lot of people.

I think that was the problem New Zealand is half a star and BSP is higher I think. I have seen people unable to move from Africa to any jobs at all anywhere in the world but I am not sure what leagues they had loaded. Rancer I think it was suggested you can only move to a league that is half a star higher than your current one, I think that is what he said anyway.

That seems to fit in with my experience so far.

Along with what Acid said, there seems to be a mass proliferation of BSS/BSN to EPL threads which, for me, make them much of a muchness. There are always exceptions obviously, but mainly UK careers tend to lose my interest.

I like to read about different leagues and teams I have never experienced before. I like seeing some player I have never heard of scoring 20 goals a season, I guess combined with watching English football on TV and having my saves with Crewe, Sunderland and Nantwich seeing even more English football kind of takes away my interest a bit.

That seems to fit in with my experience so far.

I think if I give it another go and edit the New Zealand league to have a reputation half a star under a playable league then I might be able to move clubs after success in New Zealand. Will have to do some holiday tests first though.

Along with what Acid said, there seems to be a mass proliferation of BSS/BSN to EPL threads which, for me, make them much of a muchness. There are always exceptions obviously, but mainly UK careers tend to lose my interest.

Is there though? Looking at the top of the first page it looks like the 'round the world journeyman' types seem to be the most popular.

AcidBurn - I checked and the Egyptian Premier League and Uruguayan Primera have the same rep (2.5*) which may well explain how I was able to ditch relegation battling Koroum for quite a decent Wanderers team. I think the rep of the NZ League is just too low... However, sustained success in the OCL should be enough to get a move somewhere and I guess that's a feature of league rep SI will have to tweak for future releases.

Deisler26 - not sure about 'snobbery' as I've never seen anyone comment "this isn't a real journeyman save because you started too high up". As dafuge said, the appeal of starting small may attract more readers than jumping in with a well-known club. Personally, I've included the leagues from New Zealand, South Korea, Egypt, India and Russia in my FM11 game because I've enjoyed reading about other users' past exploits in them. Having said that, if there's was an well-written thread about managing big European sides or top level international teams, I'm sure I'd take a look. :)

I think another reason we don't tend to get threads about big clubs is the GPTG forum. Over there they have club threads which double up as career update threads and I can't imagine many of them would want to move here to have a thread of their own when they already have everything they need.

AcidBurn - I checked and the Egyptian Premier League and Uruguayan Primera have the same rep (2.5*) which may well explain how I was able to ditch relegation battling Koroum for quite a decent Wanderers team. I think the rep of the NZ League is just too low... However, sustained success in the OCL should be enough to get a move somewhere and I guess that's a feature of league rep SI will have to tweak for future releases.

I have ran a two season holiday game and managed to go from New Zealand to Spanish second division by making New Zealand a 2 star league which is probably a bit high, to be fair I do not care if it is as long as I can move around.

As DodgeeD and dafuge said, i'm not sure there's any kind of 'snobbery' here where people don't read because you've not started at the lowest of the low. I think that if you're planning on a journeyman career then people will expect you to start off at a pretty low level, since it is the progression up through the clubs that is appealing. I think it also depends on people's individual interests and whether they have common grounds with the said thread if they're to follow the thread.

What captures my interest is mainly the power of the writing and the depth and style of updates. For example, DSYoungEsq's, DodgeeD's, rancer's and Jason the Yank's style of updates and writing is what interests me. They're different from each other, DSYoungEsq's is a one club career, while DodgeeD's, rancer'sand Jason the Yank's are journeyman's so I like every type of career. However, they're not a month by month/game by game update, rather three or four updates with enough information to let the reader know what's going on. Now, i'm not saying that this is the right way to update, merely what I prefer. I had this discussion last year with a certain member and they got quite defensive about my opinion and left the Career Updates forum unfortunately.

I started unemployed with a Sunday League reputation, and managed to get the Dunfermline job, and a season later, Hartlepool came knocking even though I only finished 6th.

And personally I prefer journeyman careers or rags-to-riches stories, more so the former. I'm not really interested in youth development, single nation clubs and all that.

I generally gravitate towards journeyman careers where people move from club to club, especially if they are playing in leagues that are a little more out of the ordinary or that I don't play in that much - and I think the main reason for that is because that's the kind of FM game I generally like to play as well. As Raware said, it depends a lot on people's personal interests. Having said that, a some of my favourite threads at the moment are one club careers, so it just goes to show that the writing really is key.

Not many people write about this kind of game, but I definitely wouldn't have a problem with a thread where they just moved about between big clubs - that is (not to sound like a broken record), as long as the writing is good. The only thing that I might feel put off by would be a career where they started off at Man Utd and won the league every single season - I think that would probably get old quite quickly. Having said that, I'm totally open to the possibility that someone might write a thread like that and they might surprise me with how good it is! :thup:

Obviously each individual has their preferences (I favor saves with MLS and Asian leagues for obvious reasons), but as long as the career is written in a clear and concise way it really doesn't matter, although I have less interest if it's a English or UK/Ireland only save (unless that save is like really really lower league). Raware's assessment is spot-on. The club has an influence whether people with read it, but it's really the style that determines whether people will read your threads. I have my own style for reasons that fit the way I play the game, and simple enough for me to read and for others to read. To me, less is more. It's like football, sometimes the simple tactics are the best ones. ;)

I have a decent Sunderland save going at the moment and after my best ever first season we finished 2nd I am in the 4th season and have not won the league and it's been a bit of a struggle to get a serious title challenge going. Financial trouble made me sell my star player and terminate the contract of a stroppy Italian forward who was earning 180k a week. I have not posted it as a career because I want to see if I will carry on for 10 seasons, on top of that I can't see there being much interest in a Sunderland anyway.

I've been looking around and it seems that not many people do monthly updates, am I better off just doing a preseason, mid-way and end of season update? I want to know if people enjoy the regular updates?

Here's my thread, I'm wondering if there were less updates, would people still be interested?

Dude, I like your updates. You do your updates the way you want. I like your updates and you write well enough so I'll read no matter what.

I favour the three update season, with the odd report on something I think may be interesting.

I think the big thing is knowing people are reading and enjoy, gives you the spur to keep updating.

I have a decent Sunderland save going at the moment and after my best ever first season we finished 2nd I am in the 4th season and have not won the league and it's been a bit of a struggle to get a serious title challenge going. Financial trouble made me sell my star player and terminate the contract of a stroppy Italian forward who was earning 180k a week. I have not posted it as a career because I want to see if I will carry on for 10 seasons, on top of that I can't see there being much interest in a Sunderland anyway.

I'd be interested AB. Definitely. :thup:

You shoud do it! Go for it, AB!

For what it's worth, I really couldn't care less about the country, starting point or general nature of the save being described in a careers update thread. I just like good updates, some interesting narrative, passion from the person updating, and to feel as though they are enjoying their save and are excited by it! Passion for a save can be contagious and can really get you into a career 'story', even if it's the last place/team you would have thought of managing yourself!

I have to confess that I tend to have more interest in those updates which tend to be fairly 'realistic'. By this, I really mean not exploiting the game, playing in a 'real-life' kind of way and that sort of thing. I also can get a little put off by career updates where the database has been edited (but adding edited leagues is fine, obviously) but that's just one of my own preferences. In addition to this, I tend to have more interest in those updates where people design their own tactics and I particularly like it when people give reasons for some of their choices etc.

In a way, reading something like Acidburn's Sunderland save would appeal to me even more, in fact, despite being a career game with a big club playing at the top level. This is because it is a save involving a club he supports and I would enjoy reading about how he thinks the team should be playing and all about the signings he makes and so on. That would really appeal to me.

The most important thing by far is the layout and the content. A poorly written thread with a confusing layout results in me closing the window pretty quickly, to be brutally honest. I like a good clear layout, which makes things really clear regarding the team being managed and how they are doing etc. If the thread is easy to read and accessible then I'll likely be subscribing and tuning in for more.

You have to remember, as well, that one club games are just plain different to journeyman games, but they both have plenty of interesting narratives. For a one club game, your aim might be breaking club records and seeing through the careers of your favourite players. For a journeyman career, you are going to be mixing it up a bit and taking on new challenges all of the time. Both are interesting in their own ways, so I'm a bit disappointed by the attitude that one is superior to the other.

And I find myself just as interested in English or UK careers as I am with those who go to more exotic destinations. On the one hand, it's familiarity and because I have a deep love of football in my country, I'll always enjoy those types of stories. On the other, it's something a bit different and so the interest is there to find out about a new set of leagues with new rules and different challenges.

There are so many different types of save to have on FM. Journeyman, one club careers, club and country and various other short- and long-term challenges. All are interesting in their own ways. Nobody should feel discouraged from starting a thread on here describing their career because it does not fit in with the more dominant themes. After all, I'm sure we'd all rather read about a save that they are enjoying a great deal, rather than a save that they feel they should be playing instead!

I agree, I think that if somebody puts effort into writing up a career thread and does it well, then it is always an enjoyable read, no matter what the content is. Similarly, the reason for people liking journeyman careers is that they like a bit of variety. People also want each thread to be different, and a variety - some journeyman saves, some fallen giants, some rags to riches and some long term, single club files. I think that a well made career thread will pull in readers because of how it's written and laid out, rather than the content.

Most people know about the problems I have had with getting a job outside of New Zealand. I changed the reputation of New Zealand and after some success I managed to get a job at Charlton in league one after a few games I left and went to Portsmouth who have a better base for promotion. I am also constantly linked with jobs in the Spanish second division. My reputation has also dropped from continental to national so I guess the reputation only counts for the current continent you are in.

Archived