Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I built mine from scratch too, and alter them as I progress up the leagues and take part in new competitions. The idea is pretty obvious, but kudos to dafuge if he was first. I basically did copy his style though, with league, cup, key players summary. It's a nice mix between long-winded summaries of each match and brief "Did crap, got relegated" :D

Something to share with my FMCU friends.

Teddy Sheringham thinks I'm a fool. Actually, he probably doesn't think anything at all, but I made a right fool of myself when I met him this afternoon. :o

Everything going quite well, managed to get the guts up to go over, asked him to sign my notebook, small talk okay, fine..... moment to walk away now..... and, I find myself stretching out my hand for a handshake. What am I doing?

Now, I'm prone to this. I am a handshaker. I like handshakes. But this is just a bit stupid.......

Teddy isn't paying proper attention anyway. He's got one eye on the football. He doesn't notice. Then I think he does notice. My hand stays there just that little bit too long. Lingers, if you will. Cannot move hand. Rejection by the ex-England international. Now the hand moves. Finally. I quickly pull my hand away, but much too late, and thank him for the autograph with a mumble then leave. Embarrassing. At least I can laugh about it now. Hahaha. :(;)

Oh well, I'm sure he won't remember me anyway. :D Nice that he actually signed my notepad. I've heard he can be a bit of a prat actually from other people, apparently walking into Non-League grounds without paying and being rude to people etc., plus telling people to get lost if they approach him.

The strange thing is that I have no idea why I got his autograph. I don't collect autographs and consider it a kind of thing you do when you're a kid. Seeing someone famous is usually enough for me, to be honest.

I met Robbie Fowler once and that was quality. My friend and I had our photograph taken with him. That was quite cool and I didn't make too much of a plonker of myself that time.

I don't know what it is about meeting famous people that makes me gush and turn into a total fool. I once stood next to Gazza in a pub and nearly turned around and personally thanked him for one of the happiest moments of my England supporting career (that goal versus Scotland). I know I would have gushed and made an idiot of myself though so I'm glad I didn't. I just stood there, watching England on the pub TV, next to this England legend, and that was enough.

I know it's not FM relevant but I thought I would share with you chaps.

He probably plays FM and is on the forum as well, reading your post right now. ;)

You've met quite a few famous players, here in Luxembourg there are... none. Only celebrity player that's been here recently is Pjanic from Lyon who occasionally can be spotted in posh nightclubs.

You got his autograph so it wasn't a total loss, eh? Didn't know he could be a pleb, but then a lot of famous people are idiots. Perhaps especially famous footballers. Did he even notice the hand or did he notice and not want to shake it? Either way, seems like a case of "mouse turned into elephant", if that translates.

I've met some famous people too. Like the entire Man United squad when they visited Norway after the 1999 Treble. But that wasn't personal. Meeting Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC, however, was. Talked to them for 5 or so minutes and got their autograph. This was absolutely HUGE for me at the time, because I'm a ridiculously big fan of theirs. And they were clearly no idiots. Turned around their fancy car and came back to me and two Swedes, talked for a bit, and then left. Seemed like very nice people and utterly down to earth. No "holier than thou" attitude there, which was nice and surprising.

Just be glad you saw him and had the courage to walk over. Not all would have done that. And I'm sure you're happy you did, even if it felt a little embarrassing there and then.

He probably plays FM and is on the forum as well, reading your post right now.

Probably! :D

You got his autograph so it wasn't a total loss, eh? Didn't know he could be a pleb, but then a lot of famous people are idiots. Perhaps especially famous footballers. Did he even notice the hand or did he notice and not want to shake it? Either way, seems like a case of "mouse turned into elephant", if that translates.

Ah yeah, totally overblown in my head, absolutely! I'm always doing stuff like that.

I thought it was funny to share though. Sort of a Mark Corrigan moment from Peep Show! :D

I've met some famous people too. Like the entire Man United squad when they visited Norway after the 1999 Treble. But that wasn't personal. Meeting Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC, however, was. Talked to them for 5 or so minutes and got their autograph. This was absolutely HUGE for me at the time, because I'm a ridiculously big fan of theirs. And they were clearly no idiots. Turned around their fancy car and came back to me and two Swedes, talked for a bit, and then left. Seemed like very nice people and utterly down to earth. No "holier than thou" attitude there, which was nice and surprising.

Sounds good. Robbie Fowler was like that. Totally down to earth and a really nice guy, chatting to two southerners like me and my mate as if we were Liverpudlians and old friends (my mate was at uni in Liverpool and I used to visit him - we met Fowler in town one day).

I met the Editors (the band) once and they were really down to earth guys too. I had had a few drinks at the time and I lectured them on English literature. :o Also, Brendan Benson, who was a really cool guy. I think it's nice if someone famous is down to earth like that and will talk to people. If I were famous, I'd like to think that I would give people my time, although I guess it's kind of strange for them to be approached by strangers.

Just be glad you saw him and had the courage to walk over. Not all would have done that. And I'm sure you're happy you did, even if it felt a little embarrassing there and then.

Yes, I'm kind of happy but actually not that bothered. I'd rather have met some St. Albans City player, which is a bit sad! :D

I met Lionel Blair once! ;)

Seriously though, when I was younger I was fortunate enough to meet the great, late Sir Brian Clough. Now as a Forest fan, this is probably one of the best moments in my life and I have taken and listened to this piece of advice he gave me since :D.

It was around 1990 and I was 10 years old. It was a time when earings for boys were "in fashion" and of course, wanting to be fashionable, I had one in my left ear. I'd been watching Forest for the past 3 years, since my Uncle used to take me and whilst at a game I approached him and asked him for a photograph; he was more than happy to pose with me. However, after the photo had been taken he turned round to me and said "Hey young man...don't you know earings are for puffs?"

I've never worn one since!

Ha! Awesome, awesome story Raware. Simply awesome. :cool:

Cloughie...what a legend! My dad actually used to work on his car when it came in for it's MOT every year and some of the stories he has would make you laugh. He said his car used to be full of empty booze bottles just scattered around the floor and seats!

One person I would just love to meet is Gazza. He was my boyhood idol. If I was stood next to him like you I would probably have gushed and made an idiot of myself too...but I wouldn't care :D

One true gentlemen that I met was Bobby Robson. I used to work at Forest as a youth development scout so I was priveleged to be able to have a free pass around the ground and training facilities and met him during half time at a Forest game. An incredibly polite and genuine man :thup:.

I've met a few semi-famous bands/musicians (Kill It Kid and the lead singer from Pennywise being two you'll never have heard of!), and Jason Roberts :cool:

I also met Darren Campbell when I was much younger, he came and did a talk at my school. We all got photos with him. I said hi when I came for mine and he blanked me :(

We also had Karl-Oskar Fjørtoft to a football school kinda thing. That was fun. Nobody will probably have known about him, but he was a very good midfield player in the Norwegian top division at the time. Soooooooooo wanted to go to one Solskjær held too, but that could never be arranged. I remember we very naively talked about it "When we come back we'll beat everybody easily!" :D :D

Then to something completely different...

Calling Photobucket experts! It's a great site for hosting pics. But do you know if it's possible to get direct links to your picture when using the imagethumb option?

I only get the direct link with the direct link option, otherwise they choose the one with ads and ****, which is also minimized. I don't want that. I've tried to go into the "See more" option where I can choose which ones to display by default. I CAN get it, but then I have to manually alter each picture link and there is no way in hell I'm going to do that.

Hopefully that was understandable :o

Posted this in my thread but thought people who don't follow my career might also be able to help:

Quick question for those of you who have long-term saves on 11.3 - are you also having issues with home-grown classifications? My players (such as Juarez) who have achieved home-grown status since I patched up don't appear to count as such in the squad selection screen for the Champions League. This is really starting to irritate as I've had to leave players like Loureiro, Javier, Pagola and Arguelles out of my latest squad in order to have a balanced squad that the selector will accept. Eventually I'm going to have to start buying under-21 players every season to make up the shortfall!

FMRTE can but you have to do it in "Relationships" AFAIK

Not much help when I'm on a Mac :p

Just had a check through the Editors Hideaway, looks like if FM11SX is updated for 11.3 then that might be an option. Only issue is, I'm assuming it's the same for the AI as well, so I'd be gaining an advantage. I'd rather it was fixed for every team! Have raised it in the bugs forum and SI are looking at it, so hopefully it'll be included if any hotfix is produced.

Exactly what do you mean by the quickest way?

Personally I like end of season updates the best, with small comments or pictures and such now and then about special events. But if you want to do monthly updates or even report about each match, then there is an interest for that too. Have a look at some of the other updates and you'll get some good ideas hopefully.

Not entirely sure how I will do mine yet as I've just written one season, but thinking about writing a bit more about each season instead of fairly brief summaries of each Cup etc. But I'll see how things go and what the reactions are. It takes quite a bit of time to write these things, especially with the pictures, so it's nice to write something people like to read. There are all sorts of update types in here though, so you can't go too wrong really.

What do people look for in a scout other than JPA/JPP? Is there anything else to look for? Same goes for physios as well.

IIRC, adaptability has a role to play for scouts. I'll also look at his "tactical knowledge" rating if I'm considering one for "scout next opposition" duty. And I'll also look at "preferred style" and formation with the idea that his preferred style/formation will be the same as mine, so he'll look for players that suit what I want.

Physios, I usually also look at motivating and discipline in addition to the physiotherapy rating. I dunno if those actually have a role, but I like to think it helps encourage your players to put in the work to get healthy and return to action sooner.

Of course, I come from the LLM ethos, so usually the guys who apply for jobs with me have ratings in the single digits across the board. :D

I'm currently struggling for a game and no matter what game I have tried to get in too for FM11, I have got bored after two seasons or before. I had a CSE thread in which I holidayed and got challenges from. That's now dead but I still have the save. It's in the year 2022 but I don't know what team to be. Or whether I could continue in a mainly regen filled game. Any tips on playing in regen filled games?

Having just read some of this thread. I do wish I had met Cloughie. Never really got to see him at his best :(. Just videos. I haven't really met any famous people. I've met a few cricketers and got their autographs. I've spoke to David Lloyd(cricket commentator) in passing. I used to play cricket alot and the side I played for the first team were good and a lot of pros and ex-pros. in the Premier League of the cricket league. I've got a few former Forest players autographs, but no one special.

Playing with top sides get boring no matter what you do basically, it's just a matter of time. Everything is in place, you got your world class players, and can mostly win without too much effort. When you don't really have a target to gun for things get boring. I therefore suggest you start out with a crap side far down the divisions. There you have plenty of goals to try to achieve. It doesn't have to be a regen game, but that does it more interesting of course since you don't know any of the players. I don't know if you have tried this before or not, but if you haven't it's well worth a shot. Much more fun than starting out with top (or top-ish) clubs. Having a wage budget of perhaps £1000 and no transfer budget make things interesting ;)

Playing with top sides get boring no matter what you do basically, it's just a matter of time. Everything is in place, you got your world class players, and can mostly win without too much effort. When you don't really have a target to gun for things get boring. I therefore suggest you start out with a crap side far down the divisions. There you have plenty of goals to try to achieve. It doesn't have to be a regen game, but that does it more interesting of course since you don't know any of the players. I don't know if you have tried this before or not, but if you haven't it's well worth a shot. Much more fun than starting out with top (or top-ish) clubs. Having a wage budget of perhaps £1000 and no transfer budget make things interesting ;)

When you get to the top you can keep things interesting with longer-term targets, like developing the youth academy or guiding one special player through his career. The fact that it's easier to get through most games as you don't have to tweak much to beat 75% of the sides you'll face means you can fly through the seasons and get a longer-term perspective on things :)

That's what I enjoy about long games too, but I must admit that it gets boring nevertheless when I can basically just hit continue and see the team demolish whatever is in front of them. The best part of such games, by far, is to find and develop good youths - especially those from you own academy. Nothing like getting a player through that can cut it in a side dominating Europe :)

I haven't really built a team up on FM11 yet. I am simply thinking of my manager and building up reputation until I can cherry pick jobs that I need to win every continents champions league once that is done I am not sure what I will do. I might just wonder around the world or if the job at Crewe is available I might go there and try to build them up. I think it will take me a long time yet to win all the trophies I need for my challenge.

That's what I like about it! :p

Could always try Scotland or Wales because I'm guessing you don't know them as well as England, right?

What's not getting you hooked to your Oviedo save?

I always think the key to any good save is some solid goals and objectives in mind. The most thrilling saves always have that but I always find myself struggling if the goals aren't interesting me.

That's what I like about it! :p

Could always try Scotland or Wales because I'm guessing you don't know them as well as England, right?

What's not getting you hooked to your Oviedo save?

I always think the key to any good save is some solid goals and objectives in mind. The most thrilling saves always have that but I always find myself struggling if the goals aren't interesting me.

I might try to save Dundee.

And it's just too easy again. I signed some cracking FA talent, but it shouldn't be happening at a club like Oviedo.

That's what I like about England, especially now with 8 levels. There is such a long distance to go so it will take decades to get to the top. Lots of step-by-step goals :)

It is a bit tedious too though, because I know it so well. But have never really gotten into saves elsewhere, apart from some brilliant ones in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Spain and Italy just hasn't worked out thus far. Maybe I'm just too much of an Anglophile :D

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to try some other countries more often but England just seems more 'real' to me. I watch English football week-in, week-out, and I know it inside-out.

When I play the English leagues on FM, I just feel much more immersed in the game. I've been to a fair few of the football grounds, for example, or I've seen quite a few of the players play (I'm talking specifically about Non-League football here) so to call it all into my imagination is so easy.

I do like going to other countries on FM though. Normally after I have been on holiday there or read about the football history of that country. I'm quite Euro-centric though. I guess, ultimately, I quite like to stick to the football I know best.

Archived