Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

A big yes from me for both threads, I would read them for sure. It will be good to see a few different things going on in the threads in here.

Cheers AcidBurn. I'll see what I can do in the next few days. I want SI to see if my save can be saved first by uploading to their FTP, but writing up a player career thread has been something I wanted to do for a while. It's something I'll want to do at some point. :)

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crouchy as one of the most legendary managers of this forum do you want to set up the Hall Of Fame as a thread?

Also shall we limit the amount of threads that can go in in a month/week or whatever? I.e. One a month can be added

Very kind of you to say such a thing Flamers. :o

I think it's best to wait to see what response others have and, in particular, the Moderators, who may have their own ideas about it.

I'm copying my original post below, seeing as we are now on a new page and it has got lost on the previous one!

Cheers for your response AB. :thup:

Another question for you guys - should we have a 'hall of fame'?

I've just been reading the Dugout forum and they have a sort of archive for 'legendary' saves. Occasionally, they have a vote and people nominate their favourite careers (but they can't nominate their own). Basically, if one career receives a nomination, then others have their say and if everyone agrees that it captured the imagination of those reading, it is moved into their archive section. What they do on the Dugout is to have periodic voting (e.g. rounds of nominations) to keep it going.

I kind of like this idea. It would be good for new people coming on to the forum who want to read some of the great old stories and it would show what makes a good career save and career thread. It would also keep some of the community's best stories alive. I quite like the bit about others nominating stories and that you wouldn't be allowed to nominate your own, as it kind of makes it a celebration of each others' careers rather than anyone showing off etc.

Do you think maybe we should have a sub-forum 'hall of fame' for this kind of thing? What do people think?

Great idea Crouchy. I don't think it should be one a month. The reason for this is there many great career saves that happen. Dafuge's from FM10 as well as yours Crouchy. The problem you would have is that there are some decent career threads at the moment which are good. So you would have kind of figure a fair way out. Great idea though and lets hope it works :).

I would contact the mods in FMS--they have an established procedure that seems to work well. Nominations are, I think, twice a year with votes once a year. But I'm a relative noob, so tenthreeleader or gavrenwick would be a better source.

I seem to remember there was some discussion about a hall of fame in the past and I think last time I said that I thought it would be best if it was integrated into the annual awards. With the annual nature of FM, a lot of the careers here will naturally come to an end as the new version of FM approaches, so to me that seems like the most obvious time to consider threads to be inducted.

Personally I would be against a sub forum, it just seems unneccessary. A stickied thread with links to all the inducted threads would be a much better format in my opinion.

Does anyone have a link to the FMS hall of fame? The links in the forum header are dead.

Hi guys, I've just bought a new laptop and thus thinking of getting a journeyman career started on FM. I know what leagues i'm going to load, I'm just bit confused by player count really.

Specs; Intel dual core i3 processor m380 2.53ghz, 4GB ram.

Has anyone got a similar to this and what setup do you use?

Help appreciated!

Gundo.

With the hyperthreading on i3 cores I have a close setup: Q9000 quad @2Ghz per core 4GB Ram. I run 78,000 players and 80+ leagues, it's a bit slow but I don't mind it's roughly 24 hours of game time for a season in Iceland.

How does loading more players impact on a save in terms of slowing things down?

Storing their history and generating their statistics, I would guess.

Players are quicker than leagues I think

Not sure about that. In my experience, larger database sizes really do slow down the game, especially in the long-run. Obviously, more leagues equals a bigger database anyway!

How do I load players from one of the levels below in the pyramid below the lowest active division in a nation?

The reason I'm asking is because, I plan to start my save in Italy loading all playable divisions, however i don't want to load all players based in Italy (far too many - some 18,000!) so was thinking maybe I could load players from the next level only in Serie D?

Does anybody know how to do this?

How do I load players from one of the levels below in the pyramid below the lowest active division in a nation?

The reason I'm asking is because, I plan to start my save in Italy loading all playable divisions, however i don't want to load all players based in Italy (far too many - some 18,000!) so was thinking maybe I could load players from the next level only in Serie D?

The only way I can think of is to make up a DDT file and use the retain command to retain all players at Serie D clubs.

(Sort of) Unrelated but I tried to reply to your PM and your Inbox is full :)

People of FMCU - Please help me with my dilemma!

I'm calling on the good people of FMCU to help me in a massive career decision:

Crouchaldinho-34.png

First things first, below you can find the table and see the situation we find ourselves in, along with the current position of Lazio in the league:

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 14th  |       | Livorno     |       | 13    | 3     | 5     | 5     | 8     | 17    | -9    | 14    | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 15th  |       | Empoli      |       | 13    | 3     | 4     | 6     | 11    | 15    | -4    | 13    | 
[b]| 16th  |       | Verona      |       | 13    | 2     | 5     | 6     | 12    | 19    | -7    | 11    | [/b]
| 17th  |       | Reggina     |       | 13    | 2     | 3     | 8     | 7     | 19    | -12   | 9     | 
[b][i]| 18th  |       | Lazio       |       | 13    | 2     | 2     | 9     | 8     | 18    | -10   | 8     | [/i][/b]
| 19th  |       | Mantova     |       | 13    | 1     | 4     | 8     | 8     | 28    | -20   | 7     | 
| 20th  |       | Parma       |       | 13    | 1     | 3     | 9     | 10    | 29    | -19   | 6     | 

We're struggling along, picking up the odd draw and very occasional win. I feel we're doing okay, although we have dropped points to Mantova and Livorno, which is not good. However, we have beaten Parma and Lazio. In general, I'm feeling fairly happy with how things are going and I do think we can do enough to stay up, although it's going to be very tough and there is no way it's going to be an easy ride.

Then, suddenly, Lazio sack their manager and ask me if I want the job. Now, here comes the dilemma: this looks like a huge opportunity for me to move onwards and upwards in my managerial career but, at the same time, I love Hellas Verona and feel an emotional attachment to them.

On the pros side, just look at that transfer budget! Looking at their squad, I can see there is enough talent there already for me to get them out of trouble, and if I can spend the transfer budget, it means that I can do some good business in January and have a great chance of pushing them back up the table. With the transfer money, I could also bring my favourites like Davide Vangi and Luca Ricci with me to the capital. This is an opportunity to move to the capital, take over one of the biggest clubs in Italy, spend some money and push them on. In the longer term, a push for Europe would be realistic and this could lead to bigger things for me. This could be a great stepping stone on to an even bigger club. A couple of decent finishes with Lazio could see the offers come in from a Champions League outfit; a place where I could challenge for titles and trophies at the very top of the game!

On the cons side, I would always have to wonder what could have been with Verona. My emotional attachment is very strong and I'll feel sad to leave. But I have to ask the question: what can Verona do for my managerial career? At the moment, not enough is probably the answer. Progress is going to be slow, there isn't a lot of money to spend and I could end up fighting for survival or heading towards mid-table mediocrity for quite a few more seasons to come. Maybe I have used Hellas Verona for as much as I can get right now. Verona would always be in my heart but I must be ruthless and think only of my managerial career!

Tough one, isn't it? So, people of FMCU, your advice would be appreciated!

Here is a link to my career thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/176223-FM10-Crouchy-s-Calcio-Journeyman-Save

id move its a step forwards a few bad results at verona you could go down and be set back a few more seasons, onwards and upwards my good man!

Yes, that's my feeling too. As it's a journeyman save, it seems I need to make the best decision to suit my career!

Go, you've been loyal enough to them. And think of all the virtual money you can make in manager salaries at Lazio! :p

That's true Rancer. I've taken them back to Serie A and built a decent enough team which has a good chance to stay there. I think the fans would be disappointed but would understand on some level. At least I wouldn't be moving to one of their hated rivals as well. Apparently Hellas fans and Lazio fans have a 'friendship' in real life.

But I'm a man of principles Rancer: I'll only move for footballing reasons, not for money! :p

But I'm a man of principles Rancer: I'll only move for footballing reasons, not for money! :p

Hehe, wait till they REALLY offer you 22.5k a week... ;)

Some think loyalty is staying with a club for a long time, some say loyalty is staying with them in times of struggle when they really need you. You've been with them for a long time already. Now, can you bring them to greater heights? Can you win titles with Verona? Do you have the potential to win titles with Lazio? Is the likelihood of you winning with Lazio higher than with Verona?

You don't owe anything to them, you brought them back to where they belong. Now you should go to a club where your career can benefit the most. :)

(my definition of loyalty might offer from yours, but in all my career games I've stayed at clubs for 4-5 years, with the exception of a couple clubs. So I'm quite loyal, but I leave for a new club because I have nothing left to prove and I've accomplished everything I've had to. I have no regrets about leaving because I brought them trophies and really elevated the status of the clubs.) It's a little sad to leave but it's ultimately best for me to go for a new challenge and learn something new and experience new things, like a journey. :)

Anyone that knows my FMing or that has read my continental threads will know that I love playing in New Zealand. The problem with long term games there is that there is no competition outside of the Club World Cup thingy. I would really love to start a game with New Zealand based teams competing in the Asian Champions League and the Oceanic one like Mexican teams competing in North and South American continental competition. Does anyone know any way this can be edited to happen, all I have seen is it might be possible if you recreate both competitions but that would take me a long long time. Any ideas?

Can countries be swapped so New Zealand is placed in Asia and the lowest ranked Asian nation moved to Oceania?

I don't mind not playing in the OFC Champions League. I just want to try and build up a New Zealand team over 50 seasons as the seasons are very fast there.

I'm always interested in hearing how other people play the game and I got curious about my fellow FMCUers. I thought perhaps we could have some more discussions in here about how we play the game.

To start off with, I thought it might be interesting to talk about tactics. I know some of you have some tactical talk in your career threads but I also thought it might be an interesting discussion to have here in our discussion thread. So, I was just wondering how you all like to set up tactically on FM.

What formations do you like? What sort of football do you try to play? Do you use the tactics creator or set up your own tactics? What is your philosophy? And so on and so forth.

Personally, after years of slider love, I came over to the way of the TC and I really enjoy using it now. I've tried pretty much all of the formations but seem to have gone back to 4-4-2 of late in a fit of nostalgia. I've always tried to play football in the way that I like to see it played in real life, which is basically getting the ball down, using the flanks and attacking with pace. I used to use the rigid philosophy quite a bit because I liked the mentality structure but I've recently been using the fluid philosophy more often due to the greater creative freedom and the fact it seems to add an unpredictable quality to attacks. I love playing around with the tactical side of the game and so I've tried most things on FM at some point but this is currently my favourite way to set up.

Over to you guys. Hope it should spark an interesting discussion. :)

im strange with tactics ive got three formations i really like and i shoehorn my squad into one then repeatly use that till im in desperate need for a change, for example my sunderland game is a 4-3-3 formation as ive always loved the idea of a narrow pile alot of players into the opposition box stlye of play works brilliant for counter attacking. or the short slow passing game im playing now.

also love 4-4-2 old skool with two wingers bombing down the flanks with the full backs overlapping

and finally i like a 5-3-2 formation with wing backs grew up watching brazil with the liks of cafu and roberto carlos as wingbacks and have used it a few times with various degrees of success, i actually might have a go at making another one soon mm wing backs :)

Archived