Rising stars in Portugal - Lusitano FC

MarcxD

May 2022

HdtRERG.png

In a very tough month we couldn't really get a lot of points but very happy that we were able to beat Sporting. Disappointed but not surprised that we couldn't keep Porto from winning the treble (they also won the league cup).

nij2Sha.png

We ended up as fourth, another great improvement and Europa League it is. Perhaps next year we can trouble the top 3 for real?

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome season! Can't wait to see how you do in the Europa League.

On a sidenote, I played against Sam Magri on FM16 when he was at Dover in the English National League. Pretty crazy to see he's now on a top tier club that's headed to Europe :D.

14 hours ago, oriole01 said:

Awesome season! Can't wait to see how you do in the Europa League.

On a sidenote, I played against Sam Magri on FM16 when he was at Dover in the English National League. Pretty crazy to see he's now on a top tier club that's headed to Europe :D.

Cheers!

If Magri wasn't Maltese he would never have joined me or a top tier in general probably, but he can handle himself well enough, as a back-up/rotational player anyway. He was already playing in league one for a couple of seasons when I got him btw.

Season Review 2021-2022

AnXg7Kw.png

A very strong season overall where for a lot of the first half we were actually in second, but we are definitely behind the top 3 for now. Still, another great step forward.

wh4kddT.png

Another fantastic year for players like Gildo, Pontes and Veiga. They definitely carry the team.

QstcOzq.png

Pontes has been awarded player of the year for his fantastic performances!

8K7HpAn.png

Remarkably my striker has the most assists in the league.

LbefbPD.pngZwv76wR.png

He's also won topscorer in both cup competitions.

iRsSn1T.png

No Pontes, as player of the year (???), but still four of my players in the team of the year.

Iwu9bw8.png

The overall best eleven then, Pontes now over 100 matches played for the team as has goalkeeper Nóbrega.

Clemente, Kuagica, Sualehe, Encada, Pontes, Gildo, Veiga, Nóbrega and Mukendi are still at the club.

hlJaaLk.png

Here's the full squad. Only a few (primary nationality) Portuguese players left, since I don't sign those anymore.

Pre-Season 2022

tKt864W.png

Mid-table expectation then, and no expectations at all for Taça da Liga? We'll play in that competition, entering in the third phase this year.

ZzTlVjw.png

Expected to finish 11th. I will be going for another top 5, since my squad has not changed a lot and it's been hard to find improvements.

PWvVZHy.png

I've only signed three players, Timana and Alves are talented players who could become very good but aren't there yet, and Colombo is a Sammarinese GK, about as good as the GKs I already have but come on he's Sammarinese. Luisi returned to his old club after not really ever making the first team regularly.

zd4cxXG.png

The friendlies went well with a win over Sassuolo like last year but we lost the Supertaça.

amDzzgM.png

We've also been drawn into our first European Group. It will be interesting to see how we do against Dinamo and Torino, of course Sevilla will be way too strong.

August 2022

GOLwIwq.png

Not a fantastic start, with a meagre home win and a bashing by Benfica, and later on also losing to Chaves. Really the only good match of the month was a smashing of Portimonense at home.

NUZsMnk.png

That was my 200th game by the way.

Sa0zZJa.png

Starting out as 7th. Hopefully we can do better soon.

September 2022

VAT7kmT.png

A much better month. Yes we lost hopelessly against Sevilla but that was to be expected. Otherwise a strong month with 2 very convincing wins in the league and our first ever European win.

FL91voP.png

In sixth now.

4WJYqOR.png

Gildo got another player of the month award. 

bTkhCEd.png

And I got another second place...

October 2022

6LlBx9v.png

Wow, crazy month. Did really well in the home wins against Gil Vicente in the league and against Dinamo in the EL, but to be defeated in the cup by Campeonato opposition... sure I played a heavily rotated side but that was embarrassing. Absolutely smashed by Porto and Sporting, making that step up to the top 3 or top 4 by then is going to take some time.

GlatN7Q.png

Down to seventh again but 5th is only 3 points away.

QPxIhQ7.png

We've also been drawn in the League Cup group. While not the easiest with 2 other Liga NOS sides it should be doable.

November 2022

oFa9wqc.png

A really good month really, although it would've been nice to beat Belenenses. But two more EL wins, including a win over Sevilla, is fantastic. We have qualified for the KO-rounds.

EWP7XsG.png

Still in seventh, 4 points behind 5th place now. 

sj7gnWi.png

Back-up striker Lupapa got second in player of the month, as he got his chance to shine and took it. Veiga is unhappy with me and will likely leave at the end of the season on a free so it's good to see that Lupapa still has it.

W10QNXC.png

MtvHQkR.png

Not sure if it already was done completely, but I had the option to ask for improvements.

The training and youth facility upgrades are both done as well.

December 2022

OiNedrH.png

A busy but fantastic month to end the year, unlike the last two Decembers! 

It didn't start out the best with a draw in the league cup but we finished the EL group with another win and got multiple wins in the league.

HU4vvjI.png

We're still in seventh, but looking pretty good with only 3 points behind 5th and actually only 7 points behind 1st as well.

6RiGzjJ.png

We also ended up as clear first in the EL Group, much better than I had expected.

nsfVqgz.png

In the first KO round we'll face Dynamo Kyiv, should be doable but I'm not going to take anything for granted.

jJuczB3.png

My players got second and third in player of the month, but wonder oh wonder...

pX7XrAS.png

I finally got my first manager of the month award!

Dwu6qkJ.png

apP35JY.png

Veiga was voted best African striker again, and Gildo got best midfielder! Veiga will be leaving next month, since he kept being angry with me and wanting to leave I'm going to cash in on him with his contract only 6 months to go.

Smashing it man, no business being ahead of the likes of Sevilla and Torino. I see you posted the profile of Veiga the previous page and I'm honestly not impressed, so it's even more remarkable that you're getting all of this from such limited players.

22 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Good going so far, hopefully you'll grab one of the European spots

Thanks, should be possible with a bit of form, things are close.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Smashing it man, no business being ahead of the likes of Sevilla and Torino. I see you posted the profile of Veiga the previous page and I'm honestly not impressed, so it's even more remarkable that you're getting all of this from such limited players.

Thank you, he's definitely no world beater nor are the other players which is perhaps why the top 3 always defeat us with big numbers. Sevilla should've done so twice as well really. 

I actually forgot to save I think or something went wrong, anyway I had to play the last two matches in december over again, 

QAd8iXg.png

We won again, just by different numbers.

This also resulted in a different player of the month

pAMh1Ck.png

January 2023

46Bs4LA.png

Continued well, and while the results seem to get a bit worse at the end of the month, we did play Benfica at home and Sporting in the League Cup semi's. 

RKx741N.png

For the first time we made it through the group.

s7jM8Xl.png

In the league we are now in sixth place. 2 points behind 5th and 4th, 3 behind 3rd. So pretty good really! Setubal somehow in second right now...

HaZluHV.png

No award for me but Lupapa got second in player of the month.

HaOKFQ2.png

I got in two new players, Nogueira is my new #1 Goalkeeper, not quite good enough for Porto (he is still a young player with potential to grow) so they transferlisted him.

Mazive is a young striker, which I needed.

wa2jomU.png

I needed a new striker since I sold Veiga! He only had six months remaining, and he was been unhappy for the previous 8 months or so, I thought Basel's offer was quite good actually. Elsewhere I got rid of three otherplayers (Ito, Clemente & Nobrega) whose contracts were ending at the end of the year, and hopefully Alves and Mukendi can progress with more playing time.

sMgGW0L.png

I also got a new longer term contract.

February 2023

nNMb8AQ.png

A strong continuation of our form, with most spectacularly obviously the 6-2 win in Kyiv that helped us go through to the next round.

97Y8KTq.png

We'll be playing domestic opposition there, Estoril should definitely be doable. Remarkably the other two Portuguese teams in the competition also face each other.

vakaxSl.png

In fifth now in the league, from second to sixth it seems to bery exciting, Porto winning the title again seems much of a certainty, they could have an unbeaten season.

No awards for me or my players, but I did get some upgrades approved.

uMmeOUm.png74JvOG7.png

Right now they're both "good".

Youth Intake 2023

AXjfma4.png

Clearly the best intake so far, three interesting players to watch.

HaGJy88.png

I like him a lot, yes!

UrnZ9Fl.png

There's also a lot to like about this guy, many decent to good key midfield attributes.

J376XoR.png

Also some nice things, but I don't use a DM. If he can adapt quickly to a MC-BWM role though, he can be useful.

March 2023

rNQxDAm.png

Managed to beat Estoril in the EL, and some strong performances in the league as well. Two tough games to finish the month, but we weren't outclassed this time.

4FYecCa.png

In sixth, but oh my, it is still so very close.

j6nvFlG.png

In the EL we'll have to face AC Milan in the QF's, normally you would say that will be too much...

2ERTLU0.png

Midfielder Diogenes among the players of the month.

April 2023

dX1rvW7.png

Defeated by AC Milan, which was expected, unlike losing 5-1 to Belenenses!! Other results in the league were good enough though.

EB8DYqQ.png

In sixth, EL is still possible but we'll need some good results elsewhere. 3 games remaining.

May 2023

NqvydBt.png

A really good performance from the team in the final three matches, although it would've been better obviously to beat Setubal.

YU2y1ot.png

I4AAGgW.png

It seemed to not be enough since we finished in sixth, but because Benfica beat Belenenses in the cup final we are also going to the Europa League, although we will have to go through three play-off rounds!

Remarkable to see both Sporting and Benfica not make the top 3, it has cost AvB's job at Sporting.

natK4cA.png

AMR Encada got a spot in the last player of the month award...

AlrDMuF.png

While I got second in manager of the month for May.

Season Review 2022-2023

PgyMDXZ.png

Actually in a way a step down from the previous season, we never really made the top 5 and needed help from Benfica in the cup to get to European football. On the other hand, we did very well in Europe. Some of the players had very fine seasons and I finally got myself a manager of the month award this year.

gp37NxU.png

A lovely 68th position in Europe already, hopefully to improve next season.

3AJMWDI.png

As always a group of players that really made the difference but one in particular: Gildo. The Mozambican AML has made the difference, no way about it.

1eF983d.png

Together with Lupapa he's made the team of the year. He did not get player of the year in the league, which I think he very well could've, but he did get a lot of other milestones. 

0GFtv9O.png

Like Player of the Year in the Europa League.

cuvhWCG.png

Logically he has also been included in the team of the year. (I do not like to see Ajax youngster Sierhuis doing well for PSV of all teams but ignore that)

m6076lc.png

rSoTKsV.png

79E2sH8.png

2VwZhtl.png

un6qwmB.png

Just fantastic, all around.

8qSbXfT.png

Lupapa should also get a nod though, as back-up striker for the first half of the season and aging he still got third in the topscorer rankings.

5p8kf2o.png

A 7.51 overall is simply ridiculous, after 128 matches. Him, Pontes and Encada will remain at the club for a while yet, as the 3 spots behind the striker will remain the same.

rvuyoOy.png

The squad for the season, only 1 primary Portuguese nationality player remaining except for youth players, but that one player is the player with the most minutes.

Nice season, you did way better than expected in Europe. Hopefully you'll find a way into the top 3 before long.

So I assume registration rules in Portugal are really lax if you only have one primary Portuguese guy left?

1 hour ago, oriole01 said:

Nice season, you did way better than expected in Europe. Hopefully you'll find a way into the top 3 before long.

So I assume registration rules in Portugal are really lax if you only have one primary Portuguese guy left?

Cheers.

Yeah, the rules are definitely quite easy. There are no rules for Portuguese players, but you need to have 8 players registered in the squad that are homegrown in Portugal. 

Pre-Season 2023

Ictgfh0.png

EL and League Cup are missing here for some reason, but more or less the same expectations as in the previous season, not too hard. Budgets are there, but to find players that are actual improvements is getting to be quite hard - there are some but too expensive.

C4c75i7.png

So I only got in 2 players, two defensive additions. Baldé will go straight into the team while Almeida is a prospect and back-up central defender.

gFe1pIA.png

Only expected to finish 11th still...

sj9E9P0.png

The pre-season was busy with the qualifiers and quite a bit of friendlies anyway, we started in Luxembourg with some decent wins but more exciting was the trashing of Guingamp and keeping Tottenham to a draw. All the EL qualifying games were pretty easy, not the harshest of draws either to be fair.

auYaDQo.png

The group is another story, Leipzig should definitely be too strong while the other teams are a bit of a question mark. We should probably be able to finish second in the group though.

August 2023

PQkLSBd.png

Only the 2 league games to start, pretty good results really to open with a convincing win and Guimaraes away is a pretty tough game so a draw is okay.

o6mS6ik.png

Most teams have played a game more than us. Porto and Benfica are still perfect, while Sporting hasn't been able to win yet. Firing AvB and replacing him with Phillip Cocu might not have been the best move...

4 hours ago, john1 said:

Not bad group yo be in :thup:  Not bad start in the league :)  What is the youth facilities like? Great?

Thank you, the youth facilities are "good" for now, in november the current upgrade should be done.

September 2023

kQs9xLT.png

Just a fantastic month, certainly the first 4 games. Not only did we win very comfortably in the league, but we also absolutely bossed RBL! The last two games were good enough results-wise, but a home draw and winning thanks to a literal last-minute goal against Braga (which is not the easiest match to be fair).

LStps6M.png

In fourth, with a game in hand on most of the other teams around us. Remarkably, we are the only team without a loss yet. Of course we haven't played Porto, Benfica or Sporting yet.

Evj2Kof.png

Both wingers dominating the player of the month.

7xQ5U9B.png

And I got what feels like my 20th second place in manager of the month.

October 2023

1zcHYbR.png

A... remarkable month. 5-0 and 9-1 in the Europa League!! Also through in the Cup, but we were beaten for the first time in the league by Benfica.

fhS7QWy.png

Benfica and Porto heading ahead so far, Sporting still a while behind.

November 2023

oNRyTeM.png

Disappointed to lose to Sporting, really, but otherwise some good results although not as convincing as previously with a bunch of 1-0's. Couldn't quite beat RBL again, but we're already through to the KO rounds. Also through to the 5th round of the Cup.

yPCUImy.png

In third, now on equal games played. A bit behind the top 2, but still going well. Sporting now on a roll though, so they will get to the top 5 soon enough.

cBeQwT3.png

Two Liga NOS teams, but we should be able to handle a team like Braga.

December 2023

qTVBdHw.png

Really good, except for one match...... which we will not talk about.

HZXc3bX.png

Still in third, with a good little lead on the rest.

t57pVVR.png

We ended up as first in the EL group.

lSH3qt1.png

We'll be playing Viktoria Plzen, should be very doable normally.

zzWTofm.png

Third in manager of the month, even though we did lose 6-0.

Gildo got a bunch of African awards;

OTSHlZS.png

Zq1im5t.png

1nMhEYk.png

Player of the year, wow. On the other hand though, his stats are so amazing that it's not really surprising.

8 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Nice work. Reminds me of the AFC save, you somehow find a way despite the transfer limitations.!!!

Well thank you, in the AFC save I would've have turned full youth only at this point but there are certainly similarities.

57 minutes ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

The Porto result was a bit of shock, I don't see you being poor enough to get beat too often like domestically was it just a bad day or do you think they're just miles ahead of everyone? Apart from that it's been a fantastic start to the season, keep it up :) 

Probably a bit of combination of things, yes they are the best team in the league with the most money, we probably didn't have the best of days and my tactic is not the most cautious...

January 2024

I didn't do any transfer business and it's getting really hard to find players to buy now within the limitations I set myself, player search is not ideal either since we're not big enough for me to have a big enough scouting budget for the worldwide packages so I'm dependent on the scouting meetings and that is just terrible.

KJwj0eU.png

We did get some money in, indirectly, thanks to a sell-on.

ugD4dai.png

Also, Lupapa got heavily injured which is a big problem since his back-up player, while promising, really isn't quite performing the way I need my striker to. I have decided to give a few players from the youth team a spot in the first team squad, including the striker I got last year. Not helpful that Gildo missed some games as well.

sjs9wRZ.png

Anyway, the football went pretty well all thins considered, with us going through to the semi-finals in the Taça de Portugal and going unbeaten in the league. We did lose against Braga in the league cup though, which was just enough to kick us out.

Nuo5aZG.png

EpHiZrL.png

In the  league still in third, but now on equal points with Braga. Benfica's not too far away though, so CL football is still possible, especially with Sporting's weak season. They actually fired Cocu already!

5BkTXXQ.png

And offered me the job, I denied obviously. Definitely the biggest club so far to come to me, there have been more offers (Maritimo has offered their job 3 times I think in the previous 2 seasons) though.

February 2024

jG7dDiM.png

Fantastic month, even if my striker got injured. Good to see young striker Lopes score once. Also went through relatively easy in the EL.

Nx3NuYO.png

In second now, with Benfica having a bit of a slump. Braga also on a roll though.

AlNMSbx.png

Their manager got the award, sadly.

fZ2mhLX.png

In the EL we'll have to deal with Inter, which is going to be very tough. Last year AC Milan was way too much for us, and I suspect something similar with their rivals.

Youth Intake 2024

XYYmN9P.png

The first Golden Generation this save!

xXR3oal.png

Wow, yes, that looks quite promising. A lot of players that are of interest. 

fIEdD8s.png

Interesting, if he can live up to his rating!

PQmIvxP.png

The best player of the lot according to my assman, a keeper. Certainly the highest CA to start out with, but not the greatest personality and determination.

7aa34Wn.png

I do quite like this guy, although it would've been better if he could jump a little higher.

In total there are about 8 players that could really become decent enough players so really happy with this.

March 2024

goo9Snk.png

More fantastic stuff, if we had a better striker I think we would've won these games with more goals but still very good, unbeaten streak in the league goes on, even keeping Benfica to a 0-0. Most surprising and awesome of course is the 3-0 win in Italy, through to the QFs!

mn2KRtA.png

Next up though...... oh dear.

NAHIcCX.png

Still in second, and with Porto losing some games we're 4 points from the #1 spot!!!! While that is much of a pipe dream, top 3 (and CL) seems more and more likely with a 8 point lead on Estoril and Benfica now.

WIFHeja.png

Sporting has got themselves a capable new manager, it seems, and I only got third in manager of the month.

April 2024

I have to warn you, this might be one of the craziest FM months I've had.

8n5er07.png

I got a nice milestone at the club, 300 matches already.

GPnxPDN.png

But really. Look at this. It didn't start fantastically with a draw in the league, and I was happy enough to keep Liverpool from doing us too much damage. But to then go on to beat Liverpool 6-2!!! We have made it to the semi-finals! Wow. And then we just beat Chaves 8-0... and a hattrick from Lopes. He scored twice against Tondela before getting another hattrick against Porto! WTF! :eek::D Also through to our second cup final btw. We'll play Aves there, who we should definitely beat for our first major trophy... but we can maybe even win more than one.

jnvZgKg.png

That means we're in second, with three more games to go, and on a 3 points deficit. If Porto makes any mistakes we have to take our opportunity. Wow. At the very least we'll have CL football next season.

ufJsg5E.png

We'll face Benfica in the semi-finals of the CL as well. Usually they are better than us, but in the current form we're in... we should at least have a chance. If we can beat Liverpool...

WbuMYA6.png

Of course Lopes got his player of the month award, I just can't get over the fact he scored a (15-minute) hattrick against Porto.

eZYIbp7.png

Rf4wWwS.png

I also won manager of the month, very much deserved if I so say myself :lol:

May 2024

Really everything depended on this month, we could win 0 or 3 trophies.

2Fx2Yhm.png

It was very disappointing to lose 2-0 in Lisbon and then Benfica beat us in extra time in the return. We did very well in the league though, plus we were able to win the cup final!!

5lMIrHU.png

Very happy with this.

siB1skz.png

Porto did actually lose a game this month, but 81 points, 88 goals... just not enough.

8Ir3aTe.png

QiV3raz.png

I did win another manager of the month award.

A5kbobc.png

The u19's actually are the best of the nation, I think this is their second season on the highest youth level.

And to close off the month, the board FINALLY got a new stadium approved.

FAXYiMx.png

Not really as big as I would've liked but at least it's better than what we have right now - although it's not cheap.

Extraordinary season, but it has to be absolutely gutting to lose the title on goal difference. Well done on all fronts, and this is some remarkable progress considering the transfer restrictions you've placed on yourself. KUTGW man!

Superb season there :applause:At least you can take a bit of comfort knowing even if Porto had only beat you 1-0 earlier in the season they'd still have won it on the head to head. Straight in the CL group will be great for you in attracting new players and obviously financially too along with the new ground.

16 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Tough but great end to the season.

16 hours ago, Rikulec said:

So close in the league. :(

Next year will be your year though.

14 hours ago, oriole01 said:

Extraordinary season, but it has to be absolutely gutting to lose the title on goal difference. Well done on all fronts, and this is some remarkable progress considering the transfer restrictions you've placed on yourself. KUTGW man!

9 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Incredible season, man.  Brutally close at the end in the league and CL.  Next year is going to be the year!

6 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Superb season there :applause:At least you can take a bit of comfort knowing even if Porto had only beat you 1-0 earlier in the season they'd still have won it on the head to head. Straight in the CL group will be great for you in attracting new players and obviously financially too along with the new ground.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Thanks for the faith for those of you that think I can win the title next season -- but I'll be happy enough with another CL placement next year. Even if I didn't put any limitations on myself, I just can't compete with Porto's finances. And while I love a Cruyff quote "I've never seen a bag of money score a goal", there is something about money that helps :lol:

As far as those limitations, the problem I'm dealing with right now is that there are clearly some better players I could get in, but I just can't afford them. Outside of those players it's not a lot, so I suspect more youth players is going to be the future of this save.

Season Review 2023-2024

season_review.png

Overall a very few good season with a EL semi-final, almost winning the title and winning the cup, just really the league cup was a failure.

best_eleven_23_24.png

The squad I've used was not big, but pretty much all players had quite a bit of game time. Nogueira played every possible match, 64 in total. And a very remarkable start to the career of Lopes!

cup_topscorer.png

He won cup goalscorer of the year. A first award of many...?

best_eleven_overall.png

Pontes is the first player to reach the 200 games mark and he will remain at the club for a while longer. He's only 23 as well.

jogador_do_ano.png

jovem_jogador_do_ano.png

most_assists.png

He won player and young player of the year and had the most assists, even doing better than Gildo.

Gildo_assist_record.png

Even still, Gildo broke his own record with 28 assists in the year over all competitions.

Nogueira_clean_sheet_record.png

Not very surprising perhaps, but 20 is a good number for our style of play. He did play 64 matches for this.

equipo_do_ano.png

Pontes somehow not in the team of the year even though he was player of the year...

EL_team_of_the_year.png

He also didn't make the EL team of the year, and the team is a bit disorienting what with all players wearing a red shirt.

EL_player_of_the_season.png

My wingers did very wellbut woure outclassed by Liverpool's striker, that is quite the return.

32th_in_europe.png

Thanks to our performances in Europe we are now already in 36th, not bad.

treinador_do_ano.png

And the last award, I won my first manager of the year award in the top flight.

squad_23_24.png

Finally, the full squad. 

Pre-Season 2024

nYCnltv.png

The rise in budgets is not huge, nor is the rise in expectations.

pCUnMWv.png

We are now expected to finish 6th. Hmm. Not fantastic obviously but getting closer to the top.

KJGOd3O.png

As I said above, transfer business is getting hard. I got in Colombo, again. I had loaned him the season before last from Juventus, now I've signed the Sammarinese GK permanently as a back-up. Tavares is a young midfielder, not quite ready for the first team but on a free it's worth a try. Outgoing three loans and we say goodbye to the backs from Malta and Luxembourg.

3b1UZr3.png

A very good pre-season really, where we scored 4 goals almost all matches, even including Villa, Fenerbahçe and Porto in the supercup, sadly though it was not enough to win that trophy.

jxtSmZB.png

Ouch. I hope to be able to get enough points along the way for a third place, but that's going to be very tough I imagine.

Talking about the CL, it's certainly lovely to get those 12M TV money, and after last season we've also got a nice boost in Portuguese TV money.

UvkK7JS.png

Of course it's still very low compared to some countries but it's double what we've got before.

Apart from paying back the loan for the new stadium that money will go to a new upgrade.

DDWeU1n.png

The board did not want a training facilities upgrade but that'll get approved in the near future too I would expect.

ZN8VnNR.png

Another way of getting players in from the 15 nations I picked are affiliates like this, I picked a Kosovan club to start out with.

Archived