The Dark Knights Rise - Murciélagos F.C.

BoxToBox

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another month down, and everything's going well, on pitch and off, why do I have this uneasy feeling that a storm's coming?
We began the month with a second consecutive draw and I felt we were starting to fall away, until the Cruz Azul game, I wouldn't have laughed so much if I had realized Paco Jemez was sacked after it, even moreso after we matched the feat against León. Fans loved that, as good as the draw was, so they say... Not sure why it's working so well, we're doing nothing innovative or dynamic, but it's just clicking.

Been reading up on the league rules, only here half a year managing a team in it, perfect time to start, eh?! I'm a moron, aye. Anyway, to get promoted, you have to win the one of Apertura or Clausura playoffs, then beat the winner of the opposite in a champions playoff. As far as I know, if you win both, it's automatic promotion. Also, the cup runs twice a season in a Apertura/Clausura system, and the winners of those face in a SuperCopa. Unless one of the teams has won the Clausura Liga MX, meaning they play in the Campeón de Campeones instead, being replaced by the SuperCopa holders. If they're also the SuperCopa holders, as happened Chivas last year, they have to be replaced by the agg. points leader in the Copa('s?) that isn't already playing in the SuperCopa or Campeón de Campeones..... This is all completely bizarre to try and figure out. I guess, keep winning and it'll all be alright.

Still no sign of the president, though there are lights on in his office 24/7.... I asked Miss Lopéz, and she pointed out that whilst every thing is going well, and the finances seem to be levelling out, perhaps I should leave well enough alone rather than stirring up trouble;e no one needs. Probably the wiser course of action.

Now, off to the Copa Apertura MX final.

1adf8be343695c1cce48077a42974b29.png

de590a929edb29a9776e7f38cbc369a4.png

Well, I really thought we could do it, Atlas were't as good as León, or especially Monterrey, not to mention they were without Ravel Morrison. We gave 'em a proper game, a late winner for them hurt quite a bit, moreso as it was a penalty, daft to give up. Still, a great cup run all in all, and the key moment of the season was yet to come, in the Apertura. We'd finished on to of the table, giving us much needed respite in a brutally difficult two months, as we had a bye to the playoff semi-finals. A surprise dismantling of Venados in the first. away leg meant we could further rest starters in the second leg, and were pretty fresh for the final legs. Which themselves turned out to be fairly comfortable wins.

Miss Lopéz gave me a note from the president, congratulating me and the team on an amazing Apertura, but I'm almost 100% certain he had nothing to do with it. Doesn't seem the sort for baby pink note paper, from the brief moments I have seen him...

Next up, a months break, I'm off to the reassuring mild cold and wet weather of Ireland, transfers can be Skyped, and there's a bit of a clear out to happen, players unhappy with time have been transfer listed, or chucked in the B team. Especially strikers. I mean, if my forwards are going to stink up the place and not score, it may as well be the 18-20 year old prospects with a bit of potential. Also, the general character of the squad is shaping up nicely. More professional than ever, and drive levels are starting to pick up. Lot of work on yet though, as when we don't start well, we struggle.

e43d3e481ddf5c91bec37efc3292a029.png

a3966d29f389576d58ed664ea89ba85e.png0e42621a7ee8f8735c6ebf15e9e15991.png

14 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Miss Lopéz gave me a note from the president, congratulating me and the team on an amazing Apertura, but I'm almost 100% certain he had nothing to do with it. Doesn't seem the sort for baby pink note paper, from the brief moments I have seen him...

I think the president is starting to get nervous. With the good results and promotion imminent, he has to start spreading the scope of his 'project' more nationwide. Before you know you qualify for the CL and Yanks start flooding into Sinaloa. Might as well bind the cat onto the bacon. Though that last thing might be a Dutch saying literally translated into English, which, since Louis van Gaal, is completely ok these days.

35 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

What a result!!

I wish I could say it was my amazing tactics, but I was baffled as it happened. :lol:

32 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

I think the president is starting to get nervous. With the good results and promotion imminent, he has to start spreading the scope of his 'project' more nationwide. Before you know you qualify for the CL and Yanks start flooding into Sinaloa. Might as well bind the cat onto the bacon. Though that last thing might be a Dutch saying literally translated into English, which, since Louis van Gaal, is completely ok these days.

I had to google that Dutch saying and found a website full of them, great fun! Least van Gaal gave us some entertainment to go with the dry football.

36 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

I wish I could say it was my amazing tactics, but I was baffled as it happened. :lol:

I had to google that Dutch saying and found a website full of them, great fun! Least van Gaal gave us some entertainment to go with the dry football.

Try and sneak some in and the cartel will never find out!

6 hours ago, Timetxu said:

Might as well bind the cat onto the bacon. Though that last thing might be a Dutch saying literally translated into English, which, since Louis van Gaal, is completely ok these days.

I think that saying is the best thing I've read all week... Delightfully ambiguous. Certainly something that King Louis would say.

7 hours ago, Timetxu said:

Don't give into temptation, basically ;)

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

I think that saying is the best thing I've read all week... Delightfully ambiguous. Certainly something that King Louis would say.

https://bookofresearch.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/the-dutch-language-will-often-leave-you-with-an-unfortunately-peanutcheese-feeling/

Here fella, you'll enjoy this! There's even a wee LvG section at the end.

"Leaving the church before singing" is now officially the best, and indeed only way, of referring to pulling out.

There are plenty, plenty more that are sheer glory.

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

https://bookofresearch.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/the-dutch-language-will-often-leave-you-with-an-unfortunately-peanutcheese-feeling/

"Leaving the church before singing" is now officially the best, and indeed only way, of referring to pulling out.

I'm keeping you in the holes, @BoxToBox...

4 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

:lol:

“You are definitely the funniest at home” is a great saying.

Alright guys, all these Dutch sayings really start to walk out of the hands. Before you know, the monkey comes out of the sleeve, everybody knows how the fork is sticking in the stalk and they'll see that this story hits neither side nor shore.

8 hours ago, john1 said:

Fantastic cup run :cool: 

Cheers, it was surprisingly excellent!

7 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hrmm... I couldn't find that one among the Dutch sayings... Must be Flemish...

You have a plate before your head.

One more and I'll stop this, but I'll keep it on-topic. In Dutch we actually call a 'cup run' a 'cup adventure'. Which makes me think of twenty 13-year-old boys who tour the country in a giant van while drinking orange juice and getting cookies all the places they go along.

3 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

One more and I'll stop this, but I'll keep it on-topic. In Dutch we actually call a 'cup run' a 'cup adventure'. Which makes me think of twenty 13-year-old boys who tour the country in a giant van while drinking orange juice and getting cookies all the places they go along.

Oh... this, this is the best. Like an Angel pissing on your tongue.

Probably should have stayed in Mexico. The winter's been something.... Had bit of a clear out, not as much of one as I'd hoped, it's handy enough to drop troublemakers into the B team.
I spent money... Money we didn't really have, but it was within budget, and the board are delighted with the deals. The downsides, though, a week before deadline day, I arranged three loans, two wingers and a centre mid. On deadline day Club America bid for a player, one I was happy to sell in a pretty big for us 400k deal. None of  the loans, or the sale went through though, and were cancelled. I have no idea why, the loans were arranged very early, the transfer everyone in agreement...
In the middle of it all, our first team keeper, rejected a new deal in favour of joining Independiene on a free in the summer, to be a backup. Sucks for us, sucks for him more though as he'll never be in a matchday squad again, senior side or B team.

Then, to end it all, the president popped up for the brieftest of moments, just long enough to announce the he expects us to reach the final of the Clausura. I was hoping we could rest and rotate a bit more, since we're already guaranteed a promotion playoff appearance....

ac56b2856c5a98633ac7f52072aa3d03.png

Got rid of some.

c8bd6cb49498aa13e74d87b638b0eaf7.png

A pre arranged American, would have been more helpful if he were a lefty, but should get his chances.

d2ebf8e213e0a7f3f47c3c70c510b2d3.png

We needed LB depth, after all our LB's barring the one on loan lost their heads, this lad is straight up excellent at this level, and can pitch in at CB when we're stuck.

a2ac989cb6a46b9512cc152d933238cd.png

Briefly our record buy at 150k, he adds much needed depth at CM, and play defensively or in a box to box or support role, so we even have three man midfield options now.

2c2973a6a64a10de2b5ede8cf50ab0d6.png

450k's a lot of money for him, but he's quicker, more technical and more attacking than any other forward at the club, a massive upgrade.

cd287c77d9014270eb538424f6293d68.png

Midseason, second preseason, whatever this is... It went well.

4 hours ago, Timetxu said:

And solving crimes, naturally. As one does.

10 minutes ago, yatesiboi37 said:

That young American looks decent!

I cannot say I have ever managed in the Mexican leagues before. How are you finding it? I always find most of the South American leagues too confusing for my Christmas-infused brain...

I've always constantly stuck to Europe because the South and North American league systems seem so crazy. I'm enjoying it though! Still takes a bit of getting used to, the way the league and cup run as two short competitions.

Makes the league histories look like an absolute mess.

253c74229b2e040782429d9d2e41ad24.png

This looks more like someone is trying to draw a futuristic skyline....

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

I've always constantly stuck to Europe because the South and North American league systems seem so crazy. I'm enjoying it though! Still takes a bit of getting used to, the way the league and cup run as two short competitions.

Makes the league histories look like an absolute mess.

253c74229b2e040782429d9d2e41ad24.png

This looks more like someone is trying to draw a futuristic skyline....

Its Miguel Herrera's hype levels, isn't it

That month flew by, despite being quite busy. The international transfer window finished up quietly, With a transfer for a youth to go to Cruz Azul, and some bids rejected from the San Jose Earthquakes for young winger Chris McMahon. They were starting to get near numbers I'd have to consider, but we're short on the wings at the best of times. Club is a few hundred K in the red, but at least I know that's my fault....
Thankfully my transfer largesse has paid off, with Barraza scoring 6 goals in 5 games, 4 or which he started. Pérez has been solid in midfield too. Weirdly, I loaned out Aldo López to Liga MX side Cruz Azul at their request, he wasn't getting game time for me, and even if he didn't play, their facilities are much better for his development. He did play though, started every game for them so far, 7 games, and he's doing fairly well, average rating isn't high, but 3 goals and 2 assists is great.

Haven's seen hide nor hair of the president since. Corporate offices are eerily quiet, even Miss Lopéz has looked like she's seen a ghost all month...

a40b826951974e429c6e04fe864dfc1e.png

León played 4-2-4 with their wide defenders playing as wingbacks. El Pequeño Maestro, Aguilar, had fun picking up the ball and chipping their entire midfield and defence over and over again. If it wasn't for their excellent CB Burdisso making recovery tackles and headers, Barraza would have filled his boots, rather than one goal and assist.

dc69cbfbc01522a743481fc76319d9be.png

477610c4c916ba5cfa26fc19967442ab.png

Everything's looking good after the first month.

image.gif.b1c91696e898dbe374daa27eee5c4b1e.gif

Meanwhile, in Gotham...

San Jose came back, and came back with the kind of numbers, when talked up, couldn't be rejected. The player himself indicated he wanted to leave.

27e39757a300deb166ae411c45f9192f.png

So, yeah, go on lad, enjoy...

3c0f9a41eb76e8db0f93621579dd94ca.png

Why even freaking bid then!?!

f9d419e23989e174d892a5c5a5eab17f.gif

7 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

The MLS bidding issue has been reported as a bug already. Annoying as heck. Don't be surprised if the same club comes back and bids again for the same player after the deal fails for that reason. 

Could end up with the lad unhappy if I'm not careful then.

4 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

WTF?!?!? An Irish Mexican???

It's because of my managers avatar being Irish.

That said, by complete coincidence, I do have Mexican/Irish family, so it's not completely bizarre.

1 hour ago, oneronaldo said:

Born in Ireland too, boy that must have been one hell of wrong ride his parents took to end up at Ireland.

It's never a wrong ride if you end up in Ireland.

That said, Shannon is where the biggest airport is, could be a couple of holidaymakers got an early arrival.

Another month down, a fairly busy one at that, with six fixtures. Almost perfect results too, seeing us remain on top of the league, and into the cup second round with a game to spare. The only downside being one of the youngsters who's stepping up, Jesús Luna, spraining his knee ligaments. He'll be fine, It's six weeks. It was shame to happen now though, while he was in fine form and developing at pace, could even be promoted straight to the senior side in summer.
Off pitch, finances continue to fall, we're over 400k in debt now, and the whole corporate office feels quite nervy, like a dropped pin could shake the whole building.
We also had a youth day in the middle of everything, a group of lads pushed forth by the underage coaches to see if we wanted to offer them contracts to step up to the U18's, and possibly further. I sent Aguilar to speak to them before the game, to show them that age was no barrier, with talent and hard work. He was happy to, good lad. I of course attended the match, and wanted to ask the president to join me as I really do want to see this become a club that can bring through their own players. Which I know sounds like bs, considering the amount of players I signed already, and have set up as future transfers, but it's a true long term plan. Anyway, couldn't get near the president, but Miss Lopéz accompanied me instead, which is clearly the better outcome in the end. Sadly the game itself was mostly a bust, the group put forth, I can't see any of them being capable players in the future. Few of them had the right attitude, though, so I gave them a chance. One good thing to come of it was one of the u18's, he absolutely shredded them for 4 goals, and has earned himself a debut in the near future.
One of the kids was half Irish, from Shannon, not very far from where I grew up, I'll have to find out his story at some point, too.

8640fdebb61cd3d32216fe776c7e0604.png

Even the draw is a good enough result as I rested the senior side for the Mineros game after it.

128f0e1ab12fbd66868a9ebb6f665409.png

Can't complain about this, that's for sure!

506ade8a98f6a662222e7ae50935cfae.png

I wish I had a decent tutor for Luna, but he's coming along very well regardless.

d05d0d3a85312bd8c61027f2f042f4d6.png

Figueroa is a very limited poacher, but looks like he could become a real handy player at the point of an attack, especially if he develops in a few key areas.

March is finished. On pitch, mostly wins, one draw that was a good result considering we were short about seven players due to international call ups. I was livid about that and went to the league office to complain, leaving with egg on my face when they pointed out the majority of the missing players were registered to my u21's side. I was technically, only short two players. One of those was Barraza, who Mexico called up to have a front row seat to spectate a friendly against Peru. *shakes head*

Other than that, much of a muchness, finances continue to fall, president hasn't left his office in what must be three weeks now. Lights on in his office 24/7...

945c31ed2f2bbd122c86481673c6ddb2.png

28d6c7da10165c5d6744d6b3d33cf176.png

April flew by at almost startling pace, with us doing what we needed in the league to confirm a bye to the Clausura Semi Final. In the cup, we were knocked out by Chivas, but I played a severely weakened side and a 2-1 loss is very respectable. The awards shortlists popped up on my desk, and it was a matter of some pride that I was disallowed to vote in young player of the season, as every finalist was a Muricélagos player.
Only other news is, that in passing I mentioned to Miss Lopéz that I was a bit concerned about my future with contract running out. Next morning when I arrived, she was waiting inside the main entrance with a new deal in hand for me, even managed to get me a raise, despite the financial issues!

Now, four games, all winnable, we could yet skip the promotion playoff altogether, if I understand the league correctly. My understanding is at best 50/50, mind....

ee2e07a1c7fd41dbeb1352a0814c4bf1.png

868c50b2fb612dfcd2d3f558f6cbe514.png

Archived