Play up Pompey!

dafuge

Portsmouth_FC_crest_2008.png

My South American adventure has been brought to an abrupt halt for a second time now, so I'm going for something a little closer to home.

I've chosen my local club, the club I support, Portsmouth. Currently we are looking pretty good for promotion from League 2, so this could be the last chance I get to manage them at this level from the start. No doubt I'll regret saying that at the end of the season when we slip up and make a mess of the playoffs!

Game Setup

I've loaded all of the English leagues, with the top division from Spain, Germany, Italy and France. I've also bumped up the database to around 80000 players by adding players from each continent.

Manager Profile

It's unusual for me not to start at the lowest level, so for a change I've used the recommended badges/experience for this level.

Club

The league history graph says it all, this club should be playing at a higher level than this.

Facilities

The stadium should be good for a while, but it is badly dated and in need of replacing. Maybe one day I'll get to make pictures like this a reality.

Finances

This looks great, should mean we are safe for a while.

Squad

These players should be good enough to win promotion, I'd like to given them all a chance to do that in the first season.

I'd love to say that my aim is to take the club back to the Premier League, rebuild the academy and build a new stadium but getting through the first season could be the biggest challenge. The media prediction is 2nd and the board expect to win the league, so this could be a very short career if I get it wrong!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I have resisted doing a Pompey save....so shall follow this with great glee....

while I take my home town team of Gosport to glory ;)

Love that you have a great relationship with Sir Alex Pike already though

7 minutes ago, dafuge said:

FclYkrB.png

Looks like things could get interesting at Leyton

Possible challenge for the richest club in League 2 if the news out of Fratton comes true :cool:

Portsmouth - Sky Bet League Two - 2016/17

The expectation from the board was to win the league, so I knew I had a tough job in my first season. I knew the current squad was good enough to challenge for the title, so I started off the season without any new signings.

League Table - things got very tight at the top, so I was relieved to hang on to the last promotion spot. We never looked like winning the league, but I'm glad to have avoided the playoffs.

Checkatrade Trophy - I'm not a fan of this competition, so took the fines and played a weakened team. We somehow made it through the group stage, despite only winning one game.

EFL Cup - we had a great run with two wins over Championship clubs, but Spurs were far too good for us.

FA Cup - this time we came up short against Championship opposition.

Squad - this squad had enough decent players to challenge for the league, the squad was well balanced too.

Transfers - I made four signings in January to boost the team as our promotion chances were not looking too great.

Finances -  we made a fairly big loss, but we've got enough left in the bank for now.

Key Player Profiles:

Eoin Doyle - our loan striker was our top scorer. He'll be missed next season.

Conor Chaplin - the youngster played a big part in the first half of the season.

Gary Roberts - the experienced winger was a vital member of my squad.

Christian Burgess - a decent defender who should be good enough for next season.

Kyle Bennett - he played his way into my first team.

Career Overview:

Season       League              Position     Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      EFL League 2        3rd          Promoted
Next Season:

The squad is going to need rebuilding for next season in League One, so I'm hoping I can sign a few new players to strengthen our squad depth.

7 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Always thought that mock up stadium looked absolutely lovely. Assuming it was pitched to be in Gunwharf? Would fit right in as well, lovely area. 

Just round the corner, yes. In the picture it's next to the train station, pretty much in the sea!

3 minutes ago, dafuge said:

Just round the corner, yes. In the picture it's next to the train station, pretty much in the sea!

I always hated how it pretty much hid HMS Warrior when coming in from the Gosport Ferry. 

No one ever believes me up here in Leeds when I tell them that Portsmouth could quite easily fill a stadium as big as Elland Road if not bigger

1 minute ago, SevillaAreLegends said:

It's a shame pompey spent so recklessly but they was pressured by the fans to spend more to stay competitive in the prem. 

There was far more to it then that I am afraid. 

The true story of what really happened at Pompey would take far too long to explain.

TL:DR - dodgy owners :seagull:

Yeah I think I saw an article because I wanted to see what happen, so I just googled what happend to portsmouth don't get the full story with articles though 

Hopefully you can get promoted this season and join my team in league one "Scunthorpe united" because I don't think we will get promoted this season floundering somewhat 

You get 4x our attendances it's just not right where you are 

I will always give you props when we beat you 5-1 in 2014 because your fans stayed to the end and was still doing the conga :p

On 3/26/2017 at 08:49, dafuge said:

Looks like all our money has just disappeared.

We've just spent £1.9m on improving the youth facilities and £2m on 1250 new seats for the stadium.

Bodes well for the future but have this left you short of wage/transfer budget ?

Also have the board got realistic expectations for your first venture in to League 1 for a few years ?

16 hours ago, dafuge said:

Absolutely!

What's your secret to getting it to work?  

I had an old save with Wrexham in FM12 and used a 4-4-2 wide diamond and took them all the way to the Premier League yet have never got it to work from FM13 onwards?  My roles back then and now were/are very similar to yours now, my mentality almost identical (fluid and either control or attacking).

Do you use many Player Instructions?  (totally understand if you want to keep them secret... :D )

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 19:30, scfcbostock said:

Bodes well for the future but have this left you short of wage/transfer budget ?

Also have the board got realistic expectations for your first venture in to League 1 for a few years ?

We had a slightly smaller budget than last season, but still plenty of money to improve the squad.

The board expect us to avoid relegation, the media are predicting us to finish 17th. I'm happy with that!

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:08, RorysRocketThrow said:

What's your secret to getting it to work?  

I had an old save with Wrexham in FM12 and used a 4-4-2 wide diamond and took them all the way to the Premier League yet have never got it to work from FM13 onwards?  My roles back then and now were/are very similar to yours now, my mentality almost identical (fluid and either control or attacking).

Do you use many Player Instructions?  (totally understand if you want to keep them secret... :D )

Pretty much all my players are on the default instructions, but my full backs run wide, my DM takes fewer shots and my poacher takes more shots.

My tactics aren't really anything special, I just rely on having better players than my opposition.

Portsmouth - Sky Bet League One - 2017/18

We met our expectation of promotion last season, so this season was all about survival.

League Table - we had a superb season, just about hanging on to 2nd despite a run of poor form at the end of the season.

Checkatrade Trophy - I'm glad that we won't have to play in this next season.

EFL Cup - our cup run ended at Premier League Watford.

FA Cup - this cup run was insane, especially beating City at the Etihad!

Squad - this squad is great for League One, but it will need improvements for the Championship.

Transfers - I splashed out on a striker, as we were desperately short up front.

Finances -  the cup run saved our finances, hopefully the youth facilities can still be improved now.

Key Player Profiles:

Dominic Samuel - he was worth the price tag.

Conor Chaplin - still seems to be putting in the performances.

Kenji Gorré - a key signing, released by Swansea.

Jack Grimmer - easily my best signing yet.

Samba Diakité - I had to sign a replacement because of his red cards!

Career Overview:

Season       League                Position     Achievements
2016/17      EFL League Two        3rd          Promoted
2017/18      EFL League One        2nd          Promoted
Next Season:

I'm expecting a struggle next season after two successive promotions. Hopefully I can bring in a few new players to keep us safe from relegation.

11 hours ago, dafuge said:

Pretty much all my players are on the default instructions, but my full backs run wide, my DM takes fewer shots and my poacher takes more shots.

My tactics aren't really anything special, I just rely on having better players than my opposition.

I think there is a lesson for us all in there daf!  Keep it simple!

Portsmouth - Sky Bet Championship - 2018/19

After two successive promotions, I was prepared fro a difficult season in the Championship.

League Table - we snatched a playoff spot on goals scored on the final day of the season.

Playoff semi final leg 1 - this was a superb result, setting us up nicely for the second leg.

Playoff semi final leg 2 - we managed to hold on to extra time but we had nothing left at that point.

EFL Cup - it was s host cup run as we lost out to Reading.

FA Cup - we did well to take Everton to a replay, but there were no miracles like last season.

Squad - there are a number of players with expiring contracts, so I need to decide if they are good enough for this level.

Transfers - just six signings, with mixed results.

Finances - this isn't good, but promotion would take care of it.

Key Player Profiles:

Anastasios Donis - the new striker had a superb season.

Dominic Samuel - adapted well to the supporting role.

Kenji Gorré - still one of our best players.

Maurice Litka - a new signing and our most valuable player.

Yaw Boateng - a youth product from last season who has attracted a number of bids.

Career Overview:

Season       League                Position     Achievements
2016/17      EFL League Two        3rd          Promoted
2017/18      EFL League One        2nd          Promoted
2018/19      EFL Championship      6th          Playoff semi finalists
Next Season:

If the finances are taken care of, I think we could push for promotion with the right signings. We are going through a board takeover, which might give us the financial restructuring we need.

On 26/03/2017 at 08:35, dafuge said:

Portsmouth - Sky Bet League Two - 2016/17

Squad - this squad had enough decent players to challenge for the league, the squad was well balanced too.

Impressive 1st season from Jamal Lowe, (albeit fleetingly). What position did you play him in?

[Edit]

You released him? How rude! :lol:

Any chance of a look at your Youth Intake every season please? (even if it's pants).

By the way, when are you going to stop fannying about with these saves and do a proper Youth Only save in some back-water and show us how it's done? :cool:

22 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Impressive 1st season from Jamal Lowe, (albeit fleetingly). What position did you play him in?

[Edit]

You released him? How rude! :lol:

Any chance of a look at your Youth Intake every season please? (even if it's pants).

By the way, when are you going to stop fannying about with these saves and do a proper Youth Only save in some back-water and show us how it's done? :cool:

He played as a striker, although I only really used him for the cup games.

My youth intakes have been surprisingly good so far, that could well be something to keep an eye on.

I've never actually done a youth only save, I'm just not convinced I could survive!

On 01/04/2017 at 10:03, dafuge said:

That's my method too, except you're a lot more successful than I am. And get through the seasons far, far quicker.

Archived