[FM17] San Giovanni - Tearing down the Establishment

Bedese

2 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers mate! The low PA is going to be down to the low youth recruitment levels, the low youth level of San Marino (which is hardcoded), the low game importance in San Marino (which is hardcoded) and the small population size (which is hardcoded). Here's our HOYD:

I did not realize those things were hardcoded. Makes this challenge even more impressive. I'm excited to see how far you can take this.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Miek said:

I did not realize those things were hardcoded. Makes this challenge even more impressive. I'm excited to see how far you can take this.

Cheers buddy! Glad to have you along for the ride ;) 

Youth Intake Day!

a3680bb0731e29b5a0981e51c4a0432c.png

54377ad233303ee971f368f51d6d55d6.png

I wish he had 5* PA, but he looks like a very tasty striker.

d292797ae5a07750c019e75b88ece821.png

We're desperate for CB talent (it's our weakest position), so even though he doesn't look like much he'll be pushed to try and turn him into a future first teamer.

e83366f1d71607c0c0e7300d7c0a8098.png

Decent, but we're very heavy at CM. He is a little better defensively than most of ours, though, which could be handy. We still really need that BWM type of player for Europe.

Fantastic read, enjoyed your progress (and lack of it recently) a lot.

What I noticed is that you threw away some easy return leg wins by playing your reserve squad. You need to fight badly for every point in Europe, raise coefficient and get easier opponents in the draw.

Btw, how far is your coefficient from those of seeded teams?

That tiny LB you had in your intake several seasons  ago had Argentinian as second nationality. I wonder if hiring some scouts from abroad would help in getting more new players like this one?

15 hours ago, kidthekid said:

The Berardi and Morelli striker partnership should be awesome in the future

Here's hoping!

5 hours ago, yugo23 said:

Fantastic read, enjoyed your progress (and lack of it recently) a lot.

What I noticed is that you threw away some easy return leg wins by playing your reserve squad. You need to fight badly for every point in Europe, raise coefficient and get easier opponents in the draw.

Btw, how far is your coefficient from those of seeded teams?

That tiny LB you had in your intake several seasons  ago had Argentinian as second nationality. I wonder if hiring some scouts from abroad would help in getting more new players like this one?

Thank you!

It's a fair point about the second leg games. That doesn't actually affect the co-efficient (all you get rewarded for is going through, not winning an individual qualification match), but it does matter for reputation, which is a big deal in trying to improve the Youth Recruitment. We'll be going with a full strength side all the time from now on.

Our coefficient right now is 7.825 - to get seeded in the CL Third Qualification Round we'd need to be at around 18 at minimum, so we're a long way off that right now.

Sammarinese players often have Italian as a second nationality, but a fair few of them also (weirdly) have Argentinian. Interesting point about the scouts, though, because I was thinking along the same lines, and actually decided to go and do that. There weren't any foreign scouts that weren't from Italy, San Marino or England (places we already have staff and scouting knowledge of) in the search, so I placed a job advert. 

We now have seven scouts - a Frenchman, a Georgian and a Serbian, as well as ones from Ghana, Croatia, Portugal and Slovenia. We'll see if that helps with youth intakes.

Season Review!

League

We're back on track.

Cup

First time we've won this for a couple of years.

Schedule

Squad

Other Teams: Folgore lost 3-0 to Cork City from Ireland, Fiorentino lost 5-1 to Domzale from Slovenia and Murata lost 2-1 to HJK from Finland.

Next yearWe need to get some more defensive minded players through.

Mauro Watch:

Here was Mauro on intake day:

b782bc0f012b804301fb07bc0048a70a.png

Here he is now, just over a year later:

4015de956528e9c90c68a725ec020097.png

That's some pretty solid development. In 24 league games, he picked up 19 goals and 13 assists, with a 7.70 average rating. The boy is good.

When he came to the club, his personality was casual. That means his professionalism was between 2-4, his determination between 1-9 and his temperament between 5-20. That's one of the worst personalities on the game.

We needed to get that out of him, but tutoring somebody with a casual personality using a professional personality won't work, because they'll be too different, so it needed to be worked on in stages. We first tutored him with a fairly ambitious player - that comes with a professionalism of 1-14, so could actually be worse than casual, but the chances are that it would at least get his professionalism up by a couple of points. 

That tutoring went well - and turned his personality from casual to fairly ambitious - so we straight away gave him a fairly professional tutor. I was worried they'd still be too different but that wasn't the case, so the first fairly ambitious player must have had a professionalism that was closer to the top end of the range than the bottom (as Morelli's professionalism must have increased enough under him to not clash with the fairly professional tutor). 

Being tutored by a fairly professional tutor didn't change his personality from fairly ambitious, but it would have raised his professionalism by a few points. We waited a month (because there's only one fairly professional attacker eligible to be a tutor at the club right now) and paired the two up again, which is currently still happening. Hopefully he'll soon have his professionalism up enough to jump to a positive personality.

TL;DR: He good.

5 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

So... err... here was one of our strikers on intake day:

be138ba7b52f85e7a828e840950031d9.png

Here he is now:

a0c35643164caa74a716eb0f7ea9600f.png

Who can spot the problem?

He went reverse Michael Jackson lol

14 minutes ago, yugo23 said:

Does level of Youth Facilities affect Youth Intake? Perhaps they would rather choose club with better facilities.

Unfortunately not. Youth Facilities only affect how quickly your youth team players develop (they're basically training facilities for the youth team). The only two facility upgrades that have an impact on the Youth Intake are Junior Coaching (which affects how high their CA is when they come through the intake, which we've got at the maximum possible level) and Youth Recruitment, which affects how high their PA is when they come through the intake - that's the really important one, and it's the one that we've been unable to upgrade so far :( 

6a0f80412a6e88c04dacdecf13aa218f.png

I was going to hold off on changing tactic until we had some more defensive minded players in, but this 4-3-3 is just leaving us too open. We need to change now - it's just a case of figuring out what we can actually go with.

3 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

It's a fair point about the second leg games. That doesn't actually affect the co-efficient (all you get rewarded for is going through, not winning an individual qualification match), but it does matter for reputation, which is a big deal in trying to improve the Youth Recruitment. We'll be going with a full strength side all the time from now on.

They must have changed this recently, it was not like that before. Clubs received some breadcrumbs coefficients for every match in the qualifiers. 

2 minutes ago, yugo23 said:

They must have changed this recently, it was not like that before. Clubs received some breadcrumbs coefficients for every match in the qualifiers. 

You could be right. I'm going based off of http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/ where I couldn't find any mention of that, but it's possible I'm blind/an idiot/it's somewhere else on the website.

63f22e5886d53a124edc31194ee97ab0.png

They're a strong team, but at least we'll get a chance to test out our new tactic against strong opposition. Here it is:

1b73158b50b0e62ec314f326c6f482b4.png

d251aaf3789fd571ef415622d95ae01d.png

We had to play two upfront, because there's not a chance one of Morelli or Berardi are warming the bench. That meant going narrow, because the only way we could get two wingers involved would be in a 4-4-2, which isn't something I'm looking to go with. The 4-1-2-1-2 narrow should hopefully be a bit more compact, but still have enough bodies forward to create some chances.

82e28bfd26647f88e098775e449214d8.png

We conceded after 30 seconds, and I was ready to smash my head into my desk. I should have saved myself the concussion, though, because we were very decent. In fact, we were downright good, even if we did concede 4. This has legs.

1 hour ago, yugo23 said:

Club coefficient and nation coefficient points are awarded differently.

Whilst you don't directly get club points for winning an individual qualifying games, you do earn San Marino nation points.  As you get 20% of San Marino's nation coefficient added to your own for each season, you do get a minimal amount of coefficient points for each victory.  With 4 San Marinese teams I think this will be 0.25 points onto San Marino's total, and therefore 0.05 onto yours.  The points double from the group stages and beyond, and you also start getting points for each game won directly.

In terms of your direct club coefficient points you get them depending on when you're knocked out in the qualifying stages.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Liam said:

Club coefficient and nation coefficient points are awarded differently.

Whilst you don't directly get club points for winning an individual qualifying games, you do earn San Marino nation points.  As you get 20% of San Marino's nation coefficient added to your own for each season, you do get a minimal amount of coefficient points for each victory.  With 4 San Marinese teams I think this will be 0.25 points onto San Marino's total, and therefore 0.05 onto yours.  The points double from the group stages and beyond, and you also start getting points for each game won directly.

In terms of your direct club coefficient points you get them depending on when you're knocked out in the qualifying stages.

Superb explanation. Cheers!

1 minute ago, yugo23 said:

Is it possible to have feeder club from the same division in San Marino?

I'm not sure if there are any rules against it, but every time I try to ask the board for a feeder team they say 'okay' and then come back a week later and say that they couldn't find anyone to partner with :( 

After some time they should let you pick the club yourself. It would be great if you had one of the teams that qualify for Europe as your feeder club, and try to boost their European results by sending quality youngsters on loan there. 

12 minutes ago, yugo23 said:

After some time they should let you pick the club yourself. It would be great if you had one of the teams that qualify for Europe as your feeder club, and try to boost their European results by sending quality youngsters on loan there. 

Even without the feeder club, that's the long term plan, to eventually be able to send some talented players down to the other European teams (as well as possibly money by bidding extortionate amounts on awful players). That's probably not really an option until we have a better squad that can consistently make at least the Europa Groups, but it's definitely something that we're going to look to do when we can.

Just wondering if you knew the answer to this...if you sign all your youth players to senior contracts, does the youth facility rating matter anymore? I assume they train with the senior team and so they will use the senior facilities. I've always wondered this but never got a confirmation from the powers that be.

8 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Unfortunately not. Youth Facilities only affect how quickly your youth team players develop (they're basically training facilities for the youth team). The only two facility upgrades that have an impact on the Youth Intake are Junior Coaching (which affects how high their CA is when they come through the intake, which we've got at the maximum possible level) and Youth Recruitment, which affects how high their PA is when they come through the intake - that's the really important one, and it's the one that we've been unable to upgrade so far :( 

16 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Just wondering if you knew the answer to this...if you sign all your youth players to senior contracts, does the youth facility rating matter anymore? I assume they train with the senior team and so they will use the senior facilities. I've always wondered this but never got a confirmation from the powers that be.

The way I've always read it is that the youth facilities are just the facilities that your youth team use. When a player gets signed to a senior contract, they don't automatically join the senior team, do they? AFAIK players on a senior contract can still be part of the u21s or u18s, and I think (but that's not 100%) that it's the players who are a part of those youth squads that train on the youth facilities.

Big, big national team news:

cc88f8aa91d4af53914b6457f95622c8.png

San Marino (under AI management) are going to the Euros!

Here's how they made it there:

29b5936d9d1e1d1068af38ca40a5e428.png

They won their Nations League group (for the first time ever), putting them in the playoffs:

616b74c002a21114fe34a22515100634.png

A win over Cyprus meant a final against Bosnia and Herzegovina, and San Marino got the win on penalties! We're going to get absolutely battered, but making it to the Euros is a phenomenal achievement. Marco Celli is the only player who didn't start off in the Sammarinese league, and you can kind of tell:

6973fe13034a6936171adadcbbbe7f3c.png

Season Review!

League

Really, really weird season. We won the second league game 10-1, but struggled a bit and only came second. We managed to win the playoffs, anyway.

Cup

Meh.

Schedule

Squad

Other Teams: Juvenes Dogana lost 3-1 to Olimpija from Slovenia, Folgore lost 3-2 to FH from Iceland and Fiorentino lost 4-0 to Siroki Brijeg from Bosnia.

Next yearWe need to get some more defensive minded players through.

Archived