Leaderboard - Do you care?

How often do you check yourself on the Leaderboard?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you check yourself on the Leaderboard?

• Every day I play
    • Every week
    • Every month
    • Very rarely
    • Never

How many total gamers are listed on the leaderboard?  (It seems it's in the millions but I can't reach the last page).

Do you care about the leaderboard?  Is it a good performance benchmark, or can it be cheated?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Can it be cheated? I'd be surprised if anybody has got anywhere near the top without cheating, or at least altering the game. Lots of times people have great seasons, win every competition, go unbeaten, and end up nowhere near the top.

The fact is though, it doesn't really matter. I expect some people play the game in a way that makes it fun for them and unwittingly end up on the leaderboard.

It's a pity that there isn't a leaderboard only comprised of non-reloaded or database altered saves, but there it is.

^ Exactly this. I will freely confess that I use the Pre-game editor and IGE so make my FM experience enjoyable, so I wouldn't consider my achievements valid. The point is, loads of those leaderboard sorts presumably use editors too, so I can't see any worth in them. They're about as accurate as a list of medals in the Russian Olympics ;-)

When the yearly leaderboard screen comes up, I click right past it. To be honest, I think it's FM's most worthless feature, because there's no penalty for cheaters, and even if I won every game 12-0, won every cup and competition and finished top of the league...I'd still end up on page 152. 

9 hours ago, podunkboy said:

When the yearly leaderboard screen comes up, I click right past it. To be honest, I think it's FM's most worthless feature, because there's no penalty for cheaters, and even if I won every game 12-0, won every cup and competition and finished top of the league...I'd still end up on page 152. 

Same here. It only pops up once a year so is hardly annoying. Actually it is useful in that it's appearance indicates the season summary is now available and the game has put out the new season's league tables. It's at this point that I use the IGE to fix the lower league club reputations' mess.

Still don't quite understand why most gamers find the leaderboards useless, as I find a relationship between my league performance and my position in the leaderboard.

Wouldn't edited databases be weighed in the ranking calculations?  What sort of egregious cheats are you guys referring to?

Just trying to understand. Thanks.

5 hours ago, phd_angel said:

Still don't quite understand why most gamers find the leaderboards useless, as I find a relationship between my league performance and my position in the leaderboard.

Wouldn't edited databases be weighed in the ranking calculations?  What sort of egregious cheats are you guys referring to?

Just trying to understand. Thanks.

Where do you start?

From the obvious - Users reloading matches until they win.

to the less obvious - Signing a load of wonderkids that you know 100% will become great therefore giving you a squad for many seasons that is miles better than any AI team.

+ everything inbetween and thats before you consider gaming the leaderboard by choosing teams that have the potential to earn more points because of the way its calculated.

It is a waste of time - it is just full of people who cheat to get on the leaderboard. How on earth do you rack up in a single English Premier League season 13,769,998 points? which is 5,200,000 more points that the second highest.

1 hour ago, Mojby said:

It is a waste of time - it is just full of people who cheat to get on the leaderboard. How on earth do you rack up in a single English Premier League season 13,769,998 points? which is 5,200,000 more points that the second highest.

You've answered your own question. 

1 hour ago, Viking said:

It's completley pointless and it should be optional if you want to participate.

Why does it need to be optional?  It already is - you can just not look at it.

51 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Why does it need to be optional?  It already is - you can just not look at it.

Because I am a passionate cheater, and I don't want my cheater results defiling the leaderboard for those who actually care about it.

Archived