DISRAELI GEARS - Knap FM17 Tactics - various formations

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still using your sets Knap, I'm into 2023 and currently managing the France National Team.

My achievements so far:

2016 - 2018, Germany - Confederations Cup, FIFA World Cup. Resigned as World Champion.

2019, Athletic Bilbao - rescued a sinking ship (17th in January, finished 6th). Resigned due to frustration at transfer restraints, couldn't strengthen the squad.

2020 to 2022, Schalke 04 - Bundesliga 2 years running, German Super Cup, UEFA Champions League (really!). Resigned due to board changes and stupidly small budgets allocated, despite making the club meg rich.

2022 to present, France - International League winners and now qualified for Euros without conceding a single goal.

I'm currently the most sought-after manager in the game, constantly turning down job offers. This is literally the mirror opposite of my usual FM experience :D

On 12/25/2016 at 12:04, ..Valhalla.. said:

Still using your sets Knap, I'm into 2023 and currently managing the France National Team.

My achievements so far:

2016 - 2018, Germany - Confederations Cup, FIFA World Cup. Resigned as World Champion.

2019, Athletic Bilbao - rescued a sinking ship (17th in January, finished 6th). Resigned due to frustration at transfer restraints, couldn't strengthen the squad.

2020 to 2022, Schalke 04 - Bundesliga 2 years running, German Super Cup, UEFA Champions League (really!). Resigned due to board changes and stupidly small budgets allocated, despite making the club meg rich.

2022 to present, France - International League winners and now qualified for Euros without conceding a single goal.

I'm currently the most sought-after manager in the game, constantly turning down job offers. This is literally the mirror opposite of my usual FM experience :D

Which Tacticdid you Use ? to get you doing so well ? 

4 hours ago, marksmithlfc1234 said:

Which Tacticdid you Use ? to get you doing so well ? 

As @wixta79 said; asymmetric.

A brief run-down of how I play:

I load it up on all 3 slots when joining a new team and it very quickly becomes fluid.

The only changes I ever really make are very occasionally removing the "get stuck in" instruction if I think it is needed (like in the last 10 minutes of the Champions League final, leading 2-1 against Barcelona and don't want to give away a penalty or go down to 10 men).

As soon as a player is given a yellow card I assertively tell him to calm down. If a load of players get yellow I aggressively tell the entire team to calm down. I rarely see red, but I do get loads of yellows.

I deal with training myself, including team and individual. 

I set up individual training for every player in all squads, assigning them to the exact roles they will play in the tactic: SK, WBL/R, CD, DM, CM, WM, AM, W, F9

I praise all players who are mentioned positively in the monthly training report, and warn those who are mentioned as training poorly (except veterans whose attributes are declining anyway).

I attend all media interviews myself; pre match, post match, tunnel, and any others,

I always try to be positive in team talks. "We are the favourites so get out there and impress me/pick up where you left off" is about as harsh as it gets, and I always say "you were unlucky" when we lose because 99% of the time we actually ARE unlucky (we dominate all games).

I also assertively (home) and calmly (away) tell the defence, midfield and attack "I have faith in you" every pre-match team talk.

If losing/playing crap by half time I aggressively tell them it isn't good enough (but I ALWAYS say unlucky if the final result remains bad - it's good for morale).

Any player who reacts negatively to team talks (turns red) is hooked if an individual talk doesn't change it.

Any player who looks nervous during the match is told to show some passion (they are paid a fortune and have no right to be nervous).

That's about the height of it. Managing morale seems to be the key to winning with this tactic, and players react well to praise and positivity. As an example of how strong the tactic is - I just played (as Liverpool) a team of no-hopers away to Man City in the League Cup 3rd round, thinking we will go out with a beating, but we comfortably won 3-0 despite playing a dreadful striker, defenders with zero experience, barely fringe midfielders... the commentary kept mentioning things like we were "confounding all pre-match predictions here!".... it was borderline silly.

Hello all,

Just downloaded FM17 via Steam so have version 17.2.

Playing as Man Utd (always my first game on a new FM version).

Any suggestions as to which tactic will be best for Man Utd?    I do like IF's on the wing and I'm keen to get Rashford playing.

Thanks,

Duds

Hi Knap,  Having some great results with your 4411 this year with the pinnacle being a fabulous 7-0 dismantling of Benfica.  Only three issues really :

1.   I would love to get more out of the AMC but in true FM style any additional PI's or role changes in that position seems to influence how the tactic plays. 

2.  Secondly I am struggling against the big teams away.  Obviously I expect that but I was wondering if you do anything or use a different tactic for away matches against the top sides?

3.  I have wasted points by trying to see out games.  I can be 2-0 up against Man United then either swap to your 4141 or drag the AM back to DM, swap to defensive, try and retain possession, all those obvious defensive moves but it always seems to bring pressure.  I at times now just stick with what put me ahead in the first place but was just wondering what if anything you do if you just want to tighten things up?

Thanks.

The West Ham Narrow Diamond has own thread " WARPIGS",  as not based on DG settings.

AMs tend to get low ratings so I ignore, but if you are looking at improving a certain aspect then I can try a tweak.

I use a TW tactic which is 4141 but I actually prefer a 451 tactic for a TW. I tend to do these in game and I would experiment, but the key element is usually stopping the FB runs.

!FM17Knap4141TW_77C5D0BC-21D5-4CFD-9A49-F29C465D2308.fmf

congratulations for the time you spend to give us some ready tactics that really work.. the assymetric looks good so far for my Olympiakos team, I am still in preason but I am satisfied with what I see till now. I have one question.. set pieces instructions are the default or you implemented some changes?  Thanks again, and I wish you  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just now, Hliasp said:

congratulations for the time you spend to give us some ready tactics that really work.. the assymetric looks good so far for my Olympiakos team, I am still in preason but I am satisfied with what I see till now. I have one question.. set pieces instructions are the default or you implemented some changes?  Thanks again, and I wish you  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

preseason I meant, not preason or prison (hahaaha) .

Set pieces are all from FM 16.

Best tactics depends on squad. My preferences are Asymmetric, 4231 or Oxford, Usually I would use 442s but you really need the right squad like Arsenal to get the most from them.

Happy New Year to All.

I just can't get any kind of consistency with these tactics. I guess it's just because the sides I'm managing aren't that good though. I was sacked at Rangers after finishing second using the 4-2-3-1 system and I'm hit and miss at Tranmere and currently sit 14th (which isn't bad given the media prediction). I think I'm just used to unrealistic game-breaking tactics whereas this one is a good solid tactic but, if the players aren't great, it won't perform miracles. I prefer it that way, to be honest - it makes achieving success that bit sweeter.

Thanks for your work.

Just wanted to let you know that your tactics are great, and really enjoying playing with them.

Would i possible for you to make player recommendations for the various tactics? For instance, you mention that the 4-4-2 would best suit Arsenal, but I'm unsure why. Would Alexis be used as a F9 or a WM? And what about Ozil? 

Anyways, the tactics are great, but it would improve the quality of the thread a lot, if recommended players, attributes, ppms or something similar was included.

On 12/5/2016 at 16:25, R0uladen said:

Do you consider these formations to be better than those you put in the other thread?

Btw: Thank you so much for all the time you put into your works. I enjoy your tactics very much :-)

Hey Knap, are these 100% plug and play or do you tweak mentality each game?

They are tested as plug and play. However, I would at least use a TW when required but I do not tweak mentality. There is also no reason not to mix and match for home away etc or try other mentalities. I consider the key for attack or defend is the WB role or adjusting D/line rather than mentality.

As I use original squads, trying to play 442 with Spurs or Chelsea does not work that well. Arsenal have the squad to play 442 for testing  but Alexis and Ozil can end up on the Wings.

I tend to play with either the Spurs original squad or lower league with the same tactic, I tend to have to ignore PPMs, however, the top players tend to have good ppms.

Most of my tactics are set up with attacking FBs so need to avoid stay back and the WMs IFs cut in and opposite feet will help. However in LL you often have square pegs that fit into the tactic.

I usually play with hidden attributes, but post any transfers in Good Player Guide Lower League players. The  Good Player forum is the best place to look for talent at whatever level, and I tend to look for talent rather than specific attributes.

Archived