FM17: Athletic Club Bilbao - Basque in the glory

Ghents

Just taken over Athletic in the 2021/2022 season after doing pretty well at my first club.  So things have moved on quite a lot from the start of the game.  Been wanting to play them for a while and I'm doing pretty well although, currently 3rd at the winter break behind the Madrid clubs, a few of the decent young players mentioned on here have been moved on which isn't ideal and can also foresee suffering from the no decent centre back issue from the youth team.

The one area I'm struggling with is getting staff into my B & C teams.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or do people not bother?  I have no manager, one coach etc at Bilbao and the same at Basconia.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2017 at 13:30, Deepslidingtackle said:

Just taken over Athletic in the 2021/2022 season after doing pretty well at my first club.  So things have moved on quite a lot from the start of the game.  Been wanting to play them for a while and I'm doing pretty well although, currently 3rd at the winter break behind the Madrid clubs, a few of the decent young players mentioned on here have been moved on which isn't ideal and can also foresee suffering from the no decent centre back issue from the youth team.

The one area I'm struggling with is getting staff into my B & C teams.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or do people not bother?  I have no manager, one coach etc at Bilbao and the same at Basconia.

Have you tried placing job adverts? 

On 2/14/2017 at 02:30, Deepslidingtackle said:

I've just given responsibility for this to the B/C managers, or the DoF. Especially for the C team, I tend to find it becomes a dumping ground for youth players who won't cut it, and the B team, well it's a hassle recruiting staff, so for the small benefits recruiting them myself would give, I just don't find it worthwhile. The DoF/Manager recruits 'ok' staff either way

How's everyone getting on with their saves? My laptop is overheating when I play, but I don't want to buy a cheaper one just to fill a temporary gap and need to save up for something with more longevity. Sadly that means I've not played any FM as I want a laptop that works until I can afford a new one! 

19 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

How's everyone getting on with their saves? My laptop is overheating when I play, but I don't want to buy a cheaper one just to fill a temporary gap and need to save up for something with more longevity. Sadly that means I've not played any FM as I want a laptop that works until I can afford a new one! 

Get a cooling pad or clean up the laptop from the inside or buy better fans for the laptop. Same issue with you but I'm gonna clean up my laptop again and if that don't work I might invest in a cooling pad

As for my save, I'm fighting for 4th place. Injuries, injuries, and injuries. Also, my backline is a bit weak. I'm still waiting for my CBs to develop. But, I got a regen LB whos growing well

On 2/17/2017 at 21:39, alaouskie said:

I was wondering if anybody was able to get Griezmann in my save didnt seem to want to sign 

I did. Had to spend about £120M in 2019/2020. I only did it just because.

My save got corrupted though and I just started over. Not sure he's worth getting unless you get absolute junk for regens. 

I've just restarted a new career with them. Enjoying the previous ones but for working reasons I haven't opened FM in a while and preferred to start from scratch. Regarding some of the issues on the B and C teams staff, actually before starting the save I deleted Baskonia (Athletic C) with the editor. It becomes quite useless and just a parking lot for young players I have no intention of offer a pro-contract. Much better like this as you can focus on Bilbao B and the U19.

I will also try a new approach for the young fringe players, the ones you are unsure to load off because as Athletic you simply can't replace players as easily. I will try to sell them with "buy-back" clauses. I think for a certain type of players is the best solution as you don't want to loan them every season. Like this, if you really need to fill a gap, you'll have a small and fixed price to buy a player back. 

Currently in December and second of the league by 1 point under Barcelona, strange enough Real Madrid collapsed in November and I'm filling in the gap.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 05:26, shabloz77 said:

I've just restarted a new career with them. Enjoying the previous ones but for working reasons I haven't opened FM in a while and preferred to start from scratch. Regarding some of the issues on the B and C teams staff, actually before starting the save I deleted Baskonia (Athletic C) with the editor. It becomes quite useless and just a parking lot for young players I have no intention of offer a pro-contract. Much better like this as you can focus on Bilbao B and the U19.

I will also try a new approach for the young fringe players, the ones you are unsure to load off because as Athletic you simply can't replace players as easily. I will try to sell them with "buy-back" clauses. I think for a certain type of players is the best solution as you don't want to loan them every season. Like this, if you really need to fill a gap, you'll have a small and fixed price to buy a player back. 

Currently in December and second of the league by 1 point under Barcelona, strange enough Real Madrid collapsed in November and I'm filling in the gap.

I often do the buy back deal, especially with players under 25. As far as the C team, I like having it for the rare chance they pop a good regen I can steal and it lets me dump youth players to who might serve as depth to Bilbao B in the future. Bilbao B becomes REALLY useful once you get them to the second level, as it's a much better option than loaning out players. It's good game time and you can still tutor/train them how you want. That's why I like dumping to C, so I can kinda "general manager" the B team with who I want to get playing time.

Guys, i'm struggling. 

I see people having quite a bit of success with Bilbao, and i'm on my third or so save with them and can't find something. I am now starting from scratch again.

I play without budget in the first window and wanna play more or less like they do in real life, at least formation wise. That's what i'm starting out with:

58af3c86754ff_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-23um20_42_39.thumb.png.f981b90a393b103b3bf36b7d6b744c97.png

I want to keep the base tactic fairly simple, because i feel the stuff you can download from different sites is, while it might work for a coupe of games, often overly complicated and has a lot of weird and contradicting roles. I wanna try to approach it differently. I just added two TIs, play of defence and work ball into box - just because i want my team to play mostly short-ish ground passes. I did not add shorter passing or retain possession, because IF a nice opportunity for a long ball arises, they shall take it.

Players and roles: I don't follow Athletic's season too closely, i guess the only main difference would be playing san josé in midfield, right? But i don't wanna lose Iturraspe, so that's what it is:

GK: nothing fancy. A goalkeeper.
DR: FB(s) - nothing fancy again, the odd cross from deep, otherwise backing up the winger.
DCr: just a CB who is supposed to pass the ball to either the BPD or the DLP in the buld up
DCl: BPD because Laporte and line above
DL: WB(s) - should play a bit wider than the right fullback to complement the IF in front. WB(a) might be too risky, but depends on opposition. Is supposed to make some decoy runs, opening up space für Iker
CMl: CM(d) - Ander is a bit too slowish for a real ball winner, plus i don't want to restrict his okay passing too much
CMr: DLP(s) - he's supposed to orchestrate play from deep
AMr: W(a) - Williams is fast and should go in behind and also square balls into the box from the byline
AMc: AM(s) - decided against another Playmaker here, Garcia is strong and has great workrate, perfect for this role on paper. Addes PI "more risky passes" to make him a bit more of a creator, also move into channels.
AMl: IF(s) - Munian is a great dribbler and also very creative, he's supposed to feed Aduriz and Williams plus the late-arriving Garcia. Score the odd goal as well of course.
ST: AF - with Munian and Garcia behind, he's supposed to concentrate on scoring. Also, has good finishing, workrate and is great at heading.

I additionally gave AML, ST and AMR "close down more" to hassle the opposition.

Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Well. It doesn't work. Going forward, it's kind of boring and bland, but i score some goals. In too many games though, i don't.
In defence, it's horrible. My players just jockey opposition but hardly engage in tackles high enough the pitch, the opponent walks into my box. Also, crosses... Do I HAVE to play high press in this year's FM to get a sense of a working defence?

What do you think would be 1 or 2 TIs that would solve my problems? Also: Shape/Mentality: I'd love to keep it on flexible, because the discussion about team shape seems to be a bottomless pit. I'll just accept that i don't get it and leave it on default. Mentalitywise, i tend to start with standard and then switch to ATT/DEF depending on the game, trying to avoid control and counter because these are kind of weird as well....

TL;DR: HELP, wtf am i doing so horribly wrong?

15 hours ago, Time_Consumer said:

Guys, i'm struggling. 

I see people having quite a bit of success with Bilbao, and i'm on my third or so save with them and can't find something. I am now starting from scratch again.

I play without budget in the first window and wanna play more or less like they do in real life, at least formation wise. That's what i'm starting out with:

58af3c86754ff_Bildschirmfoto2017-02-23um20_42_39.thumb.png.f981b90a393b103b3bf36b7d6b744c97.png

I want to keep the base tactic fairly simple, because i feel the stuff you can download from different sites is, while it might work for a coupe of games, often overly complicated and has a lot of weird and contradicting roles. I wanna try to approach it differently. I just added two TIs, play of defence and work ball into box - just because i want my team to play mostly short-ish ground passes. I did not add shorter passing or retain possession, because IF a nice opportunity for a long ball arises, they shall take it.

Players and roles: I don't follow Athletic's season too closely, i guess the only main difference would be playing san josé in midfield, right? But i don't wanna lose Iturraspe, so that's what it is:

DR: FB(s) - nothing fancy again, the odd cross from deep, otherwise backing up the winger.
DCr: just a CB who is supposed to pass the ball to either the BPD or the DLP in the buld up
DL: WB(s) - should play a bit wider than the right fullback to complement the IF in front. WB(a) might be too risky, but depends on opposition. Is supposed to make some decoy runs, opening up space für Iker
CMl: CM(d) - Ander is a bit too slowish for a real ball winner, plus i don't want to restrict his okay passing too much
AMr: W(a) - Williams is fast and should go in behind and also square balls into the box from the byline
AMc: AM(s) - decided against another Playmaker here, Garcia is strong and has great workrate, perfect for this role on paper. Addes PI "more risky passes" to make him a bit more of a creator, also move into channels.
AMl: IF(s) - Munian is a great dribbler and also very creative, he's supposed to feed Aduriz and Williams plus the late-arriving Garcia. Score the odd goal as well of course.
ST: AF - with Munian and Garcia behind, he's supposed to concentrate on scoring. Also, has good finishing, workrate and is great at heading.

Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Well. It doesn't work. Going forward, it's kind of boring and bland, but i score some goals. In too many games though, i don't.
In defence, it's horrible. My players just jockey opposition but hardly engage in tackles high enough the pitch, the opponent walks into my box. Also, crosses... Do I HAVE to play high press in this year's FM to get a sense of a working defence?

What do you think would be 1 or 2 TIs that would solve my problems? Also: Shape/Mentality: I'd love to keep it on flexible, because the discussion about team shape seems to be a bottomless pit. I'll just accept that i don't get it and leave it on default. Mentalitywise, i tend to start with standard and then switch to ATT/DEF depending on the game, trying to avoid control and counter because these are kind of weird as well....

I don't see nothing "bad" in itself in your tactic, it seems to me like it is quite balance just judging from the screens you've posted.

My suggestion would be:

- Tick off "work ball into the box": Athletic are very well suited to play a more direct football and exploit crosses thanks to the air dominance of Aduriz and Garcia;

- Have you though of playing a wide 4.3.3 by pulling back Iturraspe in the DM strata and Garcia as a CM-A? Iturraspe will have better chances to cover and help in defence while Garcia, if set as an CM-A, will still make a lot of runs into the box and exploit his long-shots ability;

- There is no much difference between a WB-S and a FB-S (just check the mentality bar and hard-coded instructions). If you want to create a situation where you left FB overlap and cross, I'd use a FB-A. When WB of FB are set in support duties, they rarely cross and most of the time aim at angle passes from the box corners.

- Your defence: I'd tick the "close down more" option into the TI while ticking "close down less" into the PI for your CBs. Like this you'll have a more energetic squad that chases after the ball while your defence maintain shape. 

- For attack, even if you don't change into a 4.3.3, I'd try to exploit more Garcia runs by setting him into attack duty, AM-A. And I really don't like lone strikers as AF, they have very little interaction with the rest of the team and you're basically excluding Munian and Garcia contribution. Aduriz has good passing and vision, it's ideal as a TM-S or a DF-S. Like this you're multiplying your possibility to score. Also, the one thing Aduriz lack is "dribbling", and AF has "dribble more" instruction hard-coded. You are basically playing into Aduriz weaknesses instead of its strengths. 

Hope it could help, as usual it all depends on the style you wanna play, but that are the changes I'd do.

16 hours ago, Time_Consumer said:

Guys, i'm struggling. 

Sorry, in my previous post I said try Aduriz as a TM-S or DF-S, I'd actually meant TM-S or DLF-S (Deep Lying Forward). 

15 hours ago, Moelyn5 said:

Thinking of starting a Bilbao save. How do you search for Basque players only??

Basque is a selectable nationality when you filter players.

Also, when you scout a country or a competition, there is no need to set filters because it is a hard-coded thing and scouts will automatically report only on players you'd be able to sign: Basque nationals or Spaniards aged 16 or less.

15 hours ago, Moelyn5 said:

Thinking of starting a Bilbao save. How do you search for Basque players only??

Also another piece of advice, when you set your save go to "custom database", tick nations and select "Pays Basque" and then "players of nationality". Not only will your save start with all Basque players of the game, but also it increases the numbers of Basque regens produced by clubs in the Basque region and in nearby regions.

On 24.2.2017 at 13:15, shabloz77 said:

I don't see nothing "bad" in itself in your tactic, it seems to me like it is quite balance just judging from the screens you've posted.

My suggestion would be:

- Tick off "work ball into the box": Athletic are very well suited to play a more direct football and exploit crosses thanks to the air dominance of Aduriz and Garcia;

- Have you though of playing a wide 4.3.3 by pulling back Iturraspe in the DM strata and Garcia as a CM-A? Iturraspe will have better chances to cover and help in defence while Garcia, if set as an CM-A, will still make a lot of runs into the box and exploit his long-shots ability;

- There is no much difference between a WB-S and a FB-S (just check the mentality bar and hard-coded instructions). If you want to create a situation where you left FB overlap and cross, I'd use a FB-A. When WB of FB are set in support duties, they rarely cross and most of the time aim at angle passes from the box corners.

- Your defence: I'd tick the "close down more" option into the TI while ticking "close down less" into the PI for your CBs. Like this you'll have a more energetic squad that chases after the ball while your defence maintain shape. 

- For attack, even if you don't change into a 4.3.3, I'd try to exploit more Garcia runs by setting him into attack duty, AM-A. And I really don't like lone strikers as AF, they have very little interaction with the rest of the team and you're basically excluding Munian and Garcia contribution. Aduriz has good passing and vision, it's ideal as a TM-S or a DF-S. Like this you're multiplying your possibility to score. Also, the one thing Aduriz lack is "dribbling", and AF has "dribble more" instruction hard-coded. You are basically playing into Aduriz weaknesses instead of its strengths. 

Hope it could help, as usual it all depends on the style you wanna play, but that are the changes I'd do.

@shabloz77, thanks man, really helpful advice, also showing that i was not too far of track.

- My thinking of using a WB(s) on the left was, that he might be as high up as a FB(a) _without_ crossing _all the time_. But the FB(a) really works a bit better. 

- The close down more TI with the mentioned PIs for the CBs work like a charm, thanks for this. Makes sense as well, as when you are playing a top heavy formation it makes sense to try winning the ball high up field. sometimes the easiest things don't come to mind...duh.  :-D

- AM(a) for Garcia works great, i settled for the CF(s) role for the striker though. It is - on paper - the most demanding role of all, but it seems to be a bit more greedy than the DLF, who often times just connects play but is not in a position to finish off moves often enough. Also, the role gives the striker the freedom to do what he is best at. So, Aduriz will naturally not dribble as much as the role "wants" him to do, but just be himself. It think i can afford this kind of freedom up front.

- I actually try to switch to fluid from time to time to break down lower teams, as flexible/standard is kind of bland sometimes. When i feel confident, i even go Control. Works great so far. Have a 433 as a second formation (structured or flexible on standard, als every strata is manned) against the big ones or teams with a very strong AM.

What can i say? These few simple tweaks have made my season as it stands. I don't play the most attractive football, but - i restarted the season after tweaking everything - am sitting in 3rd after eleven games, with 21-9 goals - third most scored and third least conceded. Very decent for the default squad. Aduriz was struggling at first, but is now putting together great performances. Munian is a bit disappointing until now, but he has been on every FM so far. I'll never get him to really work (Any tips on how to improve his perfoemances? PIs?) :D

So, well, THANKS a lot for your thoughts, they were a massive help.

On 26/2/2017 at 16:57, Time_Consumer said:

@shabloz77, thanks man, really helpful advice, also showing that i was not too far of track.

- My thinking of using a WB(s) on the left was, that he might be as high up as a FB(a) _without_ crossing _all the time_. But the FB(a) really works a bit better. 

- The close down more TI with the mentioned PIs for the CBs work like a charm, thanks for this. Makes sense as well, as when you are playing a top heavy formation it makes sense to try winning the ball high up field. sometimes the easiest things don't come to mind...duh.  :-D

- AM(a) for Garcia works great, i settled for the CF(s) role for the striker though. It is - on paper - the most demanding role of all, but it seems to be a bit more greedy than the DLF, who often times just connects play but is not in a position to finish off moves often enough. Also, the role gives the striker the freedom to do what he is best at. So, Aduriz will naturally not dribble as much as the role "wants" him to do, but just be himself. It think i can afford this kind of freedom up front.

- I actually try to switch to fluid from time to time to break down lower teams, as flexible/standard is kind of bland sometimes. When i feel confident, i even go Control. Works great so far. Have a 433 as a second formation (structured or flexible on standard, als every strata is manned) against the big ones or teams with a very strong AM.

What can i say? These few simple tweaks have made my season as it stands. I don't play the most attractive football, but - i restarted the season after tweaking everything - am sitting in 3rd after eleven games, with 21-9 goals - third most scored and third least conceded. Very decent for the default squad. Aduriz was struggling at first, but is now putting together great performances. Munian is a bit disappointing until now, but he has been on every FM so far. I'll never get him to really work (Any tips on how to improve his perfoemances? PIs?) :D

So, well, THANKS a lot for your thoughts, they were a massive help.

You're welcome @Time_Consumer, glad that I could help. Third place with Athletic is a great position! 

I didn't even mention the CF-S role for Aduriz, but makes sense, it mixes contribution of a DLF with strength and air threats of a TM. Plus, you got Villalibre who works wonders for me as CF-S from season two.

Regarding Muniain, it's a mystery I still haven't managed to crack. Whatever role or PI I give him, he alternates a great performance with 3-4 matches of pure anonymity. The best contribution to date was as a Wide Playmaker in a 4-1-4-1 tactic I've created, but I didn't like how the team played as a whole. I might try to set him as an Advance Playmaker on the winger position, it's my last resort.

Haupa Athletic!!

15 hours ago, shabloz77 said:

You're welcome @Time_Consumer, glad that I could help. Third place with Athletic is a great position! 

I didn't even mention the CF-S role for Aduriz, but makes sense, it mixes contribution of a DLF with strength and air threats of a TM. Plus, you got Villalibre who works wonders for me as CF-S from season two.

Regarding Muniain, it's a mystery I still haven't managed to crack. Whatever role or PI I give him, he alternates a great performance with 3-4 matches of pure anonymity. The best contribution to date was as a Wide Playmaker in a 4-1-4-1 tactic I've created, but I didn't like how the team played as a whole. I might try to set him as an Advance Playmaker on the winger position, it's my last resort.

Haupa Athletic!!

Thinking about deploying hm as AP in the AML strata as well, but with a support duty he wouldn't use his dribbling as much as i'd like, with an attack duty i would have to tinker with the fullback. Maybe i'll try to use him as CF once Aritz retires and if i manage to get in a solid IF.

Anyway, general update: after about 20 matches in the league, i started to concede a bit more and goals dried up a bit. Williams as a RW is my highest scoring player, Aduriz is not putting together a constant run of goals. I'm still undecided on how to further improve, will have to tinker. Also, player ratings are very 'meh'.

I'm still in 4th though, with a decent gap to the 5th, so i'm pretty positive. I'm content with grinding out results for now, will be more adventurous once i start to really improve the squad. Got in Merino in winter, natural successor to Benat, that's a good start.

Hi been reading this thread as a Bilbao fan I wanted to add a little to it I hadn't seen mentioned ,there are 4 French lower league sides that produce French Basque Regens that are with keeping an eye on Biarittz, bayone, bayonais,and genats hope this helps .

On 3/1/2017 at 14:22, Cpwfos said:

Hi been reading this thread as a Bilbao fan I wanted to add a little to it I hadn't seen mentioned ,there are 4 French lower league sides that produce French Basque Regens that are with keeping an eye on Biarittz, bayone, bayonais,and genats hope this helps .

Cheers for that. Noticed a couple of them producing some decent gems

Anyone looked since the DB update? Had a quick glance and looks like Lekue and Kepa might have had a boost, alongside a small one for Aduriz. Yeray as well but maybe not a crazy significant boost. That's just from a quick glance in game I've not looked in the editor

On 28.2.2017 at 14:05, Time_Consumer said:

Thinking about deploying hm as AP in the AML strata as well, but with a support duty he wouldn't use his dribbling as much as i'd like, with an attack duty i would have to tinker with the fullback. Maybe i'll try to use him as CF once Aritz retires and if i manage to get in a solid IF.

Anyway, general update: after about 20 matches in the league, i started to concede a bit more and goals dried up a bit. Williams as a RW is my highest scoring player, Aduriz is not putting together a constant run of goals. I'm still undecided on how to further improve, will have to tinker. Also, player ratings are very 'meh'.

I'm still in 4th though, with a decent gap to the 5th, so i'm pretty positive. I'm content with grinding out results for now, will be more adventurous once i start to really improve the squad. Got in Merino in winter, natural successor to Benat, that's a good start.

Well, well. Now i'm in 7th a couple of games later, since i just don't score enough. Trying to play control/flexible with added creative freedom at home, but nothing changes. I just don't know what to add to my tactics without sacrifying my defensive stability. Mayba i just 'switch sides' make Williams W(s) and De Marcos FB(a), on the other side make Munian IF(a) (he's really disappointing so far) and make Balenziaga stay back. Also tinker with PIs for AM and ST, to make them more of a threat.

Heading into 5th season now. Now have 3 Spanish Cups, Super cup & 1 League title to my name. Struggling to keep players without paying them crazy wages. With the lack of players available to buy though I've been adding to my wage budget from my transfer budget.

Benat has been amazing last 2 seasons. Only player that I am genuinely worried about how to replace as he has now turned 33. Curious what others have done around this time? Assuming people have usually had a regen or Herrera by this time? I can't sign later as Mourinho won't sell at any cost.

On the plus side Villalibre has been incredible for me & won the Golden Boy 2 years ago. Furthermore, I've got a regen called Victor Alonso who is now a wonderkid.

4 hours ago, CraigTodd said:

Heading into 5th season now. Now have 3 Spanish Cups, Super cup & 1 League title to my name. Struggling to keep players without paying them crazy wages. With the lack of players available to buy though I've been adding to my wage budget from my transfer budget.

Benat has been amazing last 2 seasons. Only player that I am genuinely worried about how to replace as he has now turned 33. Curious what others have done around this time? Assuming people have usually had a regen or Herrera by this time? I can't sign later as Mourinho won't sell at any cost.

On the plus side Villalibre has been incredible for me & won the Golden Boy 2 years ago. Furthermore, I've got a regen called Victor Alonso who is now a wonderkid.

Mikel Merino? Otherwise I'd be relying on regens for sure! I have also picked up Herrera but that was a surprised and wasn't my 'plan' for a Benat replacement. To be honest I was conscious that Benat has declined severely on previous FMs in my saves, so I don't rely on him being around too long

19 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Mikel Merino? Otherwise I'd be relying on regens for sure! I have also picked up Herrera but that was a surprised and wasn't my 'plan' for a Benat replacement. To be honest I was conscious that Benat has declined severely on previous FMs in my saves, so I don't rely on him being around too long

I have Merino but he plays alongside Benat. Suppose I could partner San Jose in the middle with Merino as I know have Inigo Martinez.

On 03/13/2017 at 12:50, CraigTodd said:

I sold him in the second season. Benat wanted me to do it and he wasn't playing well for me anyways so I sent him to Everton

On 3/17/2017 at 01:42, Jean0987654321 said:

I sold him in the second season. Benat wanted me to do it and he wasn't playing well for me anyways so I sent him to Everton

Fair enough. I've extended his contract again into 6th season although now have Herrera and Merino and some good regens too which Benat will tutor

• 3 weeks later...
Guest El Payaso

I think I might give this team a small crack even though I had thought that I will not be playing FM anymore. Seeing the new DB makes me think that they've changed couple of things that I've suggested, such as improving Williams' skill level and limiting the use of that with a bit low mentals which he can improve by aging. I think that I have to tweak Yeray, Benat's physical attributes and Aduriz a bit if I'm going to do it. Will definitely report here if I do it.

I have been following his thread and started a save with athletic bilbao. to my surprise we are performing superb in all the competitions. But its very difficult to find players and regens also as my policy is to sign only basque regens. we are in 2nd season now and we won la liga , euro cup and spanish cup in first season. 

azpilicueta , martinez and herrera all willing to sign but due to massive transfer fee demands we didnt sign anyone. though i have been lucky with intake with five promising regens who could make in first team in coming years. also signed one regen from osasuna and one from sociedad ( paying fee release amount for both)

tactic i am using. ( Downloaded - plug and play )

acic.thumb.PNG.7f6a389d8a1c4c7d19214921656706e7.PNG

team depth 

dc.PNG

mc.PNG

sriker.PNG

U19 squad - arregi and barbero and not from my academy. 

u19.PNG

1st season transfers

ransfer s1.PNG

in.PNG

season 2 incoming transfers 

in2.PNG

Performance.

resul.PNG

I am loving his save , I know 1st season i was lucky and later it will be difficult, but till now we are doing great . will update after 2nd season.

Finished 2nd season and again we won la liga , also won copa del rey and eliminated by chelsea in first qualifying round of champions league. using same 433 formation against weak teams and 523 counter against strong team. 

2nd season result :-

20.thumb.PNG.0a00659ad9c10eee0cc4c68e75e08149.PNG

1st team squad 3rd season :-

21.thumb.PNG.42792788acbc0e26073d99bf0eb964cc.PNG

3rd season transfers

23.thumb.PNG.f8cceb33f031b9649a1f93abf32acb1e.PNG

this guy is awesome in my save just 21 years old and go 1 international cap in his name. rated as wonderkid.

22.thumb.PNG.6882d70f35e73a0f3b5436e51aaefaf9.PNG

2nd season youth intake was crap so bought 1 player from real madrid ( regen wih basque nationality ) and 1 from sociedad.

3rd season underway but our performance dipped . targeting champions league place.

26.thumb.PNG.daaed60f1d8a1e4765eea3f115a90900.PNG

Good thing is we have 3 promising regens ready for 1st team action next season . and four other promising regen in our u19 so future is looking sable for now.

1 hour ago, fm_16 said:

Finished 2nd season and again we won la liga , also won copa del rey and eliminated by chelsea in first qualifying round of champions league. using same 433 formation against weak teams and 523 counter against strong team.

Good thing is we have 3 promising regens ready for 1st team action next season . and four other promising regen in our u19 so future is looking sable for now.

Nice work buddy, glad to hear you're loving the save with the Basque only policy 

Is i helpful to have foreign feeder clubs for youth recruitment. I mean i have negotiated with my board to set up 6 feeder clubs in different nations which sends us youth players to train but with basque restriction is it profitable.

On 4/10/2017 at 19:14, El Payaso said:

I think I might give this team a small crack even though I had thought that I will not be playing FM anymore. Seeing the new DB makes me think that they've changed couple of things that I've suggested, such as improving Williams' skill level and limiting the use of that with a bit low mentals which he can improve by aging. I think that I have to tweak Yeray, Benat's physical attributes and Aduriz a bit if I'm going to do it. Will definitely report here if I do it.

Yeah agree here, Yeray is still a bit off in particular. I think Benat's physicals shouldn't be high, but his stamina/work rate have developed in recent years under Valverde and I don't think that's well reflected in game.

I edited Yeray before starting my save

Few quick updates :-

Lekue injured out for 5 months  so its time to bring academy product itturino for full back position. he is just 18 years old so hope he can step up.w1.thumb.PNG.466f8cd088a9be161a0c0cc1485c2259.PNG

after serving 2 years on loan finally signed merino from dortmand for 16 million dollars. Other major transfers :-

• rico to CD lenages for 400K
  • sabin to granada for 2.5M as he was not ready for contract extension 
  • alex remiro o west ham for 15M. atangana will come as backup to kepa.

w2.thumb.PNG.29add38640eb20f36d6960b998caa3ab.PNG

and yes villalibre won european golden boy award scoring 36 in 43 maches.

• 4 weeks later...
On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 01:09, fm_16 said:

Is i helpful to have foreign feeder clubs for youth recruitment. I mean i have negotiated with my board to set up 6 feeder clubs in different nations which sends us youth players to train but with basque restriction is it profitable.

I have the same question. Is it possible to come up with any foreigners from youth intake??? 

21 hours ago, Saras-13-Bodiroga said:

Thank you !!! I have one more question.. If I hire a HOYD without knowledge from Spain,that could lead to have worst regens than having a Spanish HOYD??

Not really. You could get one with high adaptability and you should be fine if he has no knowledge of Spain. Mine didn't and I've had some great regens come through

I started a career with Athletic. I'm going to keep you updated. Bought Isma López as a backup for Balenziaga, Saborit is not good enough and Lekue and Bóveda are better DRs than DLs. Also brought some U17 from Zaragoza to strong the youth team. I'm going to use the 4231 but as soon as we reach max knowledge I would like to try a 343.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.47.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.46.19 AM.png

I just finished 2nd season. In 1st we won the League with 100 pts; 2nd season won the league with 101 pts and CL (beating Real Madrid in the final). 

After first season lost San Jose and De Marcos to City (70mln, 40 mln). Then Susaeta in January to Atletico (30mln). I also sold out useless Eraso (Porto 10mln), Sabin (11,5mln Torino), Saborit (6,25mln Espanyol(10mln buy back clause) and Benat (9,5mln Al-Ahli). Now we probably gonna lost Leuke to Dortmund (30mln clause) and looks like we gonna need to play Yeray+Boveda at RB.

In replacement we get Ander Herrera (47), Mikel Merino (25), Javi Martinez (25), Dani Garcia (3,9).

I think the most important things in Bilbao save are new contracts with huge clause. Thanks to that I was able to refuse offers like 120 for Laporte, 120 for Williams and 100 for Villalibre.

Another thing is keeping professionalists like Rico in the team. Theres not many good tutors from Basque (Ansotegi is nice to bring into B team)

We got reputation of the best team in the world right now, but still no one of Sociedad players wonna join us. Too bad, cause Oyarzabal looks like a beast.

I was trying to get Griezmann but Atletico refuse our 100mln offer, and accept 50 mln from Bayern, and this is pretty strange, cause we are not rivals, and Atletico manager likex me.

After loanes i put players like Vesga, Aketxe, Etxberria, Iriondo, Herrerin to B team and they got promoted to LaLiga2, now I gonna try to promote C team into B2.

Villalibre, Williams, Laporte, San Jose, Iturraspe, Kepa are brillant players and you should do everything to keep them in team.

Maybe this is PA issue, i'm not sure but i think he got negative potential, and sometimes he can be great and sometimes not? (rn he looks like 160-170 for me base on my game knowledge and scouts reports)

Aduriz tutored him with good results at start of the game. I start giving him chances almost every match 15-45 min, and looks like he reach hes potential after 2 seasons.

A play him as a shadow striker in partnership with attacking midfielder(w) and second shadow striker in a strikerless very fluid setup. Hes attributes are well redistributed, making him great complete goalscoring thread. I'm almost sure he would scoring in every role in right setup, and I think its more about your tactic than a player issue. 

2 hours ago, yau said:

Maybe this is PA issue, i'm not sure but i think he got negative potential, and sometimes he can be great and sometimes not? (rn he looks like 160-170 for me base on my game knowledge and scouts reports)

Aduriz tutored him with good results at start of the game. I start giving him chances almost every match 15-45 min, and looks like he reach hes potential after 2 seasons.

A play him as a shadow striker in partnership with attacking midfielder(w) and second shadow striker in a strikerless very fluid setup. Hes attributes are well redistributed, making him great complete goalscoring thread. I'm almost sure he would scoring in every role in right setup, and I think its more about your tactic than a player issue. 

He does indeed have negative potential, so it depends on your luck. That being said, I've had a statistically weak (low CA) Villalibre who out performs his stats...generally speaking everyone seems to find Villalibre plays like a man on a mission regardless of his end CA. 

Definitely all about the tactical set up to get him performing rather than the player himself.

It's a shame you lost so many good players to big offers...I would recommend having good back up for Javi Martinez, he's guaranteed to pick up a 12 month cruciate ligament injury at some stage.

Archived