"Waalwijk know where we're going, but we don't know what we've RKC'n!"

Deisler26

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/01/2017 at 15:03, Bigpapa42 said:

I've enjoyed your RKC adventures on both FM16 and now on FM17, but realized I've never actually let you know that. Regular reader. Nice work on that cup.

Thanks man. It's really appreciated.

Also meant to add that reading this has led me back to a save in The Netherlands. The Eredivisie is typically one of my favorite leagues manage in, most often with Vitesse Arnhem. My last FM16 save with them and it was one of my favorite saves on that edition. After bouncing around with a few different saves in Russia, Germany, and even England (rare for me) on FM17, I started a save last night with Heracles. Looks like a fun one, so thanks for that bit of inspiration as well.

22566586548_8936818463.jpg

RKC Waalwijk

2021/22 January Transfer Window Roundup

Results

Our first game of September and we managed to knock two past Heracles Almelo as we comfortably won 2-0. However, a heavily-rotated side were stifled at home 0-0 against FC Emmen. A last-gasp, 91st minute goal by Richairo Zivkovic saw us beat FC Twente Enschede 1-0 as we then repeated the trick in the next game against PSV Eindhoven. A 89th minute goal from Nasüf Ozbek capped a stunning comeback as we came back from 0-2 down at HT to win 3-2. However, just 1 point in the next three games was not acceptable, after such a titanic win. We lost 1-2 to FC Volendam, then were destroyed 0-3 at sc Heerenveen. We stopped the rot with a 1-1 draw in a deceptively even game against de Graafschap then went on to beat N.E.C Nijmegen 1-0, thanks to a Francisco Manuel Triguero goal. 

Our usual league loss to AFC Ajax Amsterdam was compounded by Guillaume Dupont's dismissal for a second yellow card after only 25 minutes as we lost 1-2. A late equaliser kicked us in the teeth, as we drew 1-1 with Willem II Tilburg. This was the start of a five-match unbeaten run as we beat ADO Den Haag 3-1, drew 0-0 with Roda JC Kerkade, beat FC Utrecht 2-0 and once again failed to find the net as we drew 0-0 with Vitesse Arnhem. A 0-1 defeat to AZ Alkmaar ended our run, but we swiftly recovered with a good 2-0 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam. We then finished January with a stunning 5-0 thumping of FC Groningen behind a Francisco Manuel Triguero hat-trick.

- Table - Results -

In the KNVB Beker, we faced non-league side WSV Appeldorn for the second time in my career, having beat them early on in my reign. A simple 4-1 win with first club goals for striker Liam Berry and midfielder Thomas Meyr saw us through.  This was followed by an awful Third Round win against Jupiler League side FC Dordrecht. They frustrated us all game and it took a goal from our wing back Mauro Savastano to break the deadlock in first half ET. With their resistance broken, Nasüf Ozbek netted on 110 minutes to seal our passage to the next round, 2-0 after extra time. Our Fourth Round tie was against N.E.C Nijmegen and we cruised it 2-0 with two second-half penalties. 

- Cup Results -

Our first ever foray into European football saw us placed in Group H of the UEFA Europa League. We were placed with A.S Roma of Italy, Real Sociedad S.A.D of Spain and Legia Warsaw of Poland. Our first match was against Legia Warsaw and Richairo Zivkovic put us on our way, but a back-breaking 88th minute equaliser saw us get our first ever point in a 1-1 draw. We then travelled to Spain and came back with our tails between our legs as we lost 0-2 to Real Sociedad. Our back to back games against A.S Roma ended up the same score both times. We won 2-1 at home, but lost 1-2 away. Finally, we finished the group with back-to back 3-1 wins over Real & Legia. 

However, it wouldn't be enough for us to qualify. That last gasp equaliser conceded against Legia, way back in Matchday 1, meant that we finished in 3rd place, two points behind Roma and Real. If we had won that Legia game, we would have ousted Real by dint of beating them by one goal more than they beat us.

- Europa Group - - Europa Results - 

Transfers

We hit a bump with forward injuries just before the winter break, so I signed A.S Roma striker Ezequiel Ponce for £375k. He was on a big wage, but was only signed to the end of the season, because of our arrivals back at the club. We also loaned in A.C Milan attacking player Hachim Mastour. I love the guy IRL and I've been tracking him since Day 1. He was available for loan and BOOM! We picked him up.

Next, came a whopper of a deal. AZ Alkmaar's 17 year old teenage starlet Brian de Boer came into the club for £15m. He was a player that was going places and I wanted him on my team, especially as such a tender age! Also, in addition to the fee, defender Darren Sidoel moved to AZ in part-exchange.

Apart from Sidoel, the only other player to leave was terminal moaner Vurnon Anita, whose bitching about game time saw him sold to Olympic Charleroi for £500k

Great work! Came across this post and have since started my own game with Waalwijk after having actually played a game of American Football in the Mademakers Stadion back in August.

Gained promotion in the first season, thanks to the magical Jupilier league playoffs. Ended up playing a fellow jupilier league team in the 3rd and final round. Started the Eredivise ok, with a couple of wins amongst the losses. Hope I can kick on as you have!

8 hours ago, davierich said:

Great work! Came across this post and have since started my own game with Waalwijk after having actually played a game of American Football in the Mademakers Stadion back in August.

Gained promotion in the first season, thanks to the magical Jupilier league playoffs. Ended up playing a fellow jupilier league team in the 3rd and final round. Started the Eredivise ok, with a couple of wins amongst the losses. Hope I can kick on as you have!

Ooh, awesome! Best of luck with Waawijk! 

2021/22 KNVB Beker Final

24 April 2022

1800hrs, De Kuip, Rotterdam

RKC Waalwijk 3-1 AFC Ajax Amsterdam

Wow. Against all odds, we'd made it back to the KNVB Final. After last year's win, I would have been happy with just a QF spot, but we kept on going. A 4-0 win over Feyenoord Rotterdam set the tone, before we needed penalties to scrape past Vitesse Arnhem in the Semi Final.. Our opponents in the Final? AFC Ajax Amsterdam. Crap. Ajax were our nemesis in this game. Our head-to-head results with them had us losing almost every match, usually by them scoring three or more. This included a famously memorable occasion where they put SEVEN past us in a league game. Our only win came in the KNVB Beker last year. And now we faced them again. 

The evening drew in, cool and dry. We were at full strength and, having discarded plans to play either of my alternate formations, stuck with the faithful 5-3-2 that had served me throughout the seasons. The only missing player was Ozgür Demir who missed out through injury and, although Viktor Einarsson was playing in the more recent games, I started Sami Boucetta in the BBM role, surmising that the young player's better stats would work better against such titanic opposition. I also changed the right wing back, with Antonio Candela coming in for the 18 year old Bart Theunissen.

I started the game off telling the team that they should just enjoy the day. After all, Ajax had their own version of FC Barcelona's 'Front Three' and had won the league by 16 points. The game kicked off and we were underway. On 15 minutes, a throw in by Candela, down by the corner flag found the feet of Sami Boucetta. He took a touch, then tapped a clever reverse pass into space where it was picked up by the on-rushing Francisco Triguero. His burst into the area, saw him cut the ball back to the edge of the area where Nasüf Ozbek volleyed home to give us the lead! 1-0! Scenes!

Ajax started to snap at our heels, but we were manfully trying to fight them off. I was just praying that we wouldn't concede before HT and somehow, we managed to get into HT still in the lead. I passionately told them to keep focused and sent them back out. Barely a minute after the kickoff, Ozbek found Savastano on the left. He took a few paces, then floated a beautiful cross-field ball into the feet of Sami Boucetta, just outside the box. Boucetta then slid a cute ball through to Nasüf Ozbek, who'd taken 4 defenders by surprise with this burst of pace. He steadied himself, then poked the ball into the corner of the next. 2-0! Absolute scenes!

Ajax responded by substituting two of their famed front three and going on the attack. However, Mark Schaap was impervious on the right of the three central defenders and would clear anything that came in. Candela was also proving to be an inspired pick as he gave his opponent no quarter. We were starting to tire, starting to look a bit ragged at points. Giliano Wijnaldum had made a few errors and by 75 minutes, was looking leggy and out of it. I gave him a minute more, then signalled to Sherel Floranus to warm up. However, whilst waiting for the change to be made, clever interplay on 79 minutes saw Ajax play in their substitute striker and his finish was emphatic. 2-1. As my sub was being made, I screamed at the team to concentrate. I had visions of conceding again and losing it in extra time, such was my fear of the Ajax juggernaut. 

On 85 minutes, we had a free kick on the left. Abdelhak Nouri swung the ball in to the edge of the six-yard box. The Ajax keeper came out and connected with a punch, but it only came out as far as Ozbek. He fed Boucetta, who clipped a ball across the box to the unmarked Francisco Manuel Triguero, whose fierce shot was arrowing towards the far corner, only to hit an Ajax defender and bamboozle the keeper, who dived early and now could only watch the deflected strike fly into the other corner of the net. 3-1! Pandemonium.

The whistle went 5 minutes later and not only had we retained the KNVB Beker, but beaten the hardest team to face as well!

31666954324_9167e56b43_o.png 32131670180_10fdb159ca_o.png

On 25/01/2017 at 00:58, Deisler26 said:

32132412670_2ab3e1ccfa_o.png

My reserve side managed 2nd in the end. Who knows what could have got them the extra three points to win the title

Congratulations on the cup, and about the reserves, maybe a better defense? haha.

Cheers,
Bitner 

RKC Waalwijk

2021/22 Season Review

Results

The start of February saw us struggle to a 1-1 draw against Heracles Almelo with a late goal from Nasüf Ozbek. Another impotent performance saw us lose 0-1 to FC Twente Enschede and questions were starting to be asked of my team. They redeemed themselves somewhat with a Richairo Zivkovic-led 1-0 win over FC Emmen, which saw us win when our nearest rivals lost. We then had to come back from two goals down against FC Volendam and it took an 89th minute equaliser from Francisco Triguero to snatch a point in a 2-2 draw. However, we blasted out of this period of indifferent form with a 3-0 win over PSV Eindhoven and then perennial nemesis sc Heerenveen 3-1. These results meant that I didn't even mind that we rescued a 1-1 draw against N.E.C Nijmegen in the 91st minute..

This indifference to a bad performance only turned to anger as we drew 0-0 with de Graafschap and then were utterly torn apart by AFC Ajax Amsterdam's front three as we were savaged 0-3.. I went mental at the team. And they responded against ADO Den Haag. A cleared corner after 34 seconds fell to Boucetta, who passed it out to Francisco Triguero on the left wing, deep in his own half. Triguero hared off with the ball, crossing the halfway line. He then skipped one tackle and arrowed towards the box. Faced with another defender, he shifted his weight and cut inside, leaving the defender for dead. Once inside the box, 1-on-1 with the keeper, he fired a low shot that the keeper fumbled into the net. It counted as an own goal, but it shouldn't have been, due to the magnificent 70 yard run of Triguero. Triguero was unplayable and he set up both goals for Richairo Zivkovic as we ran out 3-1 winners. The penultimate game saw us face a midtable Willem II Tilburg. And it took us just 4 minutes to go behind. We equalised 10 mins later and the game settled into a predictable match of us dominating, but not finishing. However, in the 89th minute, we were awarded a penalty. Markus Bay stepped up and put the ball down the middle to put us 2-1 up. The excitement hadn't finished however, as Francisco Triguero netted in the 96th minute to see us run out 3-1 winners, despite only two minutes going up on the board.

So, our final game of the season. If we won and FC Groningen lost, we would finish second. And we blew it. Roda JC Kerkade defended manfully and when Mattias De Ligt slipped after receiving a pass, the Roda striker sprinted away and finished coolly, condemning us to a 0-1 defeat and third place in the Eredivisie.

Season Expectations: Finish in the Top Half

Actual Result: Finished 3rd, qualified for UEFA Europa League

- Table - Results -

32522906495_2b8233ec72_o.png

In the KNVB Beker, we beat non-league opposition in WSV Appeldorn, 4-1, in the Second Round before leaving it very late to beat FC Dordrecht of the Jupiler League, winning 2-0 in extra time to see us through the Third Round. A more pedestrian result against NEC Nijmegen saw us win 2-0 and sail into the Quarter Final. That saw us matched up with Feyenoord Rotterdam and we trounced them 4-0 to go into the hat for the Semi Final. Penalties would see us past Vitesse Arnhem in the Semis, after drawing 1-1. We would then meet Eredivisie winners AFC Ajax Amsterdam in the Final and come home retaining the cup after a magnificient 3-1 win

Season Expectations: Make the Quarter Finals

Actual Result: WINNERS (3-1 vs AFC Ajax Amsterdam)

- Cup Results -

Our first ever foray into European football saw us placed in Group H of the UEFA Europa League. We were placed with A.S Roma of Italy, Real Sociedad S.A.D of Spain and Legia Warsaw of Poland. Our first match was against Legia Warsaw and Richairo Zivkovic put us on our way, but a back-breaking 88th minute equaliser saw us get our first ever point in a 1-1 draw. We then travelled to Spain and came back with our tails between our legs as we lost 0-2 to Real Sociedad. Our back to back games against A.S Roma ended up the same score both times. We won 2-1 at home, but lost 1-2 away. Finally, we finished the group with back-to back 3-1 wins over Real & Legia. 

However, it wouldn't be enough for us to qualify. That last gasp equaliser conceded against Legia, way back in Matchday 1, meant that we finished in 3rd place, two points behind Roma and Real. If we had won that Legia game, we would have ousted Real by dint of beating them by one goal more than they beat us.

- Euro Results

2022/23 Johan Cruijff Schaal

31 July 2022

2000hrs, Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam

RKC Waalwijk 3-3p AFC Ajax Amsterdam (4-5 on pens)

Well, on a ****-wet night in Amsterdam, we were finally here at the official season curtain raiser, the Johan Cruijff Schaal. Having lost last year's match, I was determined to do better.

We again faced the rampant AFC Ajax Amsterdam and, although we had taken them out in the last two cup competitions, they had owned us big time in the league. So it was do the best we could against an insurmountable (league) foe. New signings Maxime Soulas and Jordy Clasie featured in the first team, along with a first appearance in two years for Filip Juric.

We went behind after 6 minutes as pinball in our penalty box saw the ball fall to a gapingly open midfielder who finished smartly from the penalty spot. 0-1. I thought it was going to be one of those games, but 3 minutes later, some slick play out from the back saw Savastano curl a delightful looking ball into the path of Richairo Zivkovic who'd beaten the offside trap and then knocked the ball past the keeper to equalise. 1-1.

On 37 minutes, a free-kick on the edge of the area was awarded to us after Zivkovic was fouled. Ozgür Demir stepped up and curled a wicked free-kick over the wall to the far side of the goal, which the Ajax keeper could only palm onto the post and into the net. 2-1. Better was yet to come as Demir then found Juric in the box with a clever pass. Juric drew three defenders towards him then slipped the ball across the area to the unmarked Richairo Zivkovic who placed the ball into the far corner. 3-1.

3-1 again and I was ecstatic. Ajax's front three were not as deadly as before (and missing a player) and we controlled the game after half-time. However, a wardrobe malfuction on 81 minutes in which I was unable to unzip my coat meant that I had to go down the tunnel to have it fixed (translation: I had to deal with the kids). When I came back out, Ajax had scored in the 89th and 90th minutes to take the game to penalties again.. SIGH.

Penalties

1. Ajax player stepped up to take the first penalty... SCORED!  1-0.

1. Richairo Zivkovic was first for RKC... SCORED!  1-1.

2. Next Ajax player up... SCORED!  2-1.

2. New signing Jordy Clasie was up next... SCORED!  2-2.

3. Ajax's third taker to the spot... SAVED!  2-2.

3. Filip Juric was up next... SAVED!  2-2.

4. Next up was the Ajax midfielder... SCORED!  3-2.

4. We next went with Mauro Savastano. He stepped up... SCORED!  3-3.

5. Ajax with a chance... SAVED!  3-3.

5. Özgür Demir stepped up to win the game for us... SAVED!  3-3.

6. SUDDEN DEATH. Ajax player to go... SCORED!  4-3.

6. SUDDEN DEATH Guillaume Dupont to take it... SCORED!  4-4.

7. SUDDEN DEATH Ajax defender to take it... SAVED!  4-4.

7. SUDDEN DEATH Sherel Floranus to seal it for us... SAVED!  4-4.

8. SUDDEN DEATH Ajax centre-back, looking a little nervous... SCORED!  5-4.

8. SUDDEN DEATH New signing Maxime Soulas to keep us in it... SAVED!  Ajax win 5-4.

31731687513_9df8fcf4b1_o.png 31731687323_d0d86c2344_o.png

Having finally taken the plunge with Quicktime (because SI doesn't care about fixing the Mac highlights bug), I now present my goal of the season last season, and pretty much my goal of the season this year (after two games)

RKC Waalwijk

2022/23 August Transfer Window Roundup

Results

We'd finished higher than the club ever had before last season. We were also cup winners. So I were given a brief to make the club Finish in the European spots, make the UEFA Europa League Group Stages and to make the Semi Finals of the KNVB Beker. To do this, I was given a final transfer budget of £32.78m and a wage budget of £423k

The 2022/23 Eredivisie season kicked off away at De Kuip, to face Feyenoord Rotterdam. We took the lead midway through the first half with Filip Juric's debut goal. But a goal midway through the second half clipped our wings a bit and it finished up 1-1. Next up was FC Groningen and, like last game, we humiliated them 5-0. A quality Richairo Zivkovic hat-trick, bettered by Markus Bay's stunning volley from the edge of the area saw us rampant. Bottom club FC Dordrecht were our next opponents and we held a comfortable 2-0 lead at HT. However, it got decidedly less comfortable as Dordrecht levelled the scores by midway through the second half. Luckily, two goal in 5 mins gave us a 4-2 win.

We then faced table-topping AFC Ajax Amsterdam and, despite us dominating all game, we were sucker-punched and ended up with a 0-1 defeat. Our final game of the month saw us play a ridiculously bad first half against Roda JC Kerkade. Going in 0-2 down at HT, I was screaming. But a red card for Roda JC just after the break gave us the impetus to tie the game at 2-2, including a goal by the returning Ezra Walian, on loan from West Ham United and we were only just a coat of paint away from winning. 

- Table - Results -

Transfers

First in the door were two free agent signings. Central defender Maxime Soulas, released by Manchester City and midfielder Jordy Clasie, released by Southampton FC. Next was another Australian signing from the Football Federation Australian Centre of Excellence, left back John Richardson.

Two more free signings came in with goalkeeper Zakaria Draoui being re-signed, despite having been released in the summer and signing an amateur contract with RBC Roosendahl, and Croatian striker Karlo Bulic as a backup/reserve team player.

Due to Juric's injury however, I needed some striking cover and jumped at the chance to sign former striker Ezra Walian on loan from West Ham United. Finally, with Pawel Sokol's tantrum & departure, I quickly signed up two goalkeepers on loan; Club Atletico de Madrid S.A.D's Maarten Paes & Middlesbrough's Sergio Padt.

Departing the club were a number of players on loan or on frees. Striker Brandon Plat went back on loan to AZ Alkmaar, thanks to a £155k p/m fee, whilst Liam Berry went on loan to FC Emmen. Goalkeeping starlet Tim Holder went on loan to feeder club FC Den Bosch. First two cash departures were winger Jurgen van Nuland to FC Twente Enschede for £1m including clauses, and goalkeeper Menno Vink to Helmond Sport for £155k with clauses.

Sami Boucetta went on loan to VfB Stuttgart, but due to my chairman's terrible choice at not allowing me to stop Özgür Demir's £14m plus clauses sale to Hertha Berlin, he had to be recalled. Defender Mattias de Ligt wanted out and, due to the signing of Soulas, I allowed him to move to 1.FC Mainz 05 for £7m plus clauses. Finally, on transfer deadline day, Bournemouth FC made a offer for Pawel Sokol. I rejected and he had a tantrum, so I offered him to them for £4.1m and they bit my arm off. Job done.

- Transfers -

Archived