The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

Scott Williams 2028/29

End of Season Mini Review

1477381143_VelezBadge.png.16f5b7866ade0f8841fcbe9a726ce931.png

Velez

Preview | League Table | Graph | Results

Been a few weeks since Scott's universe has been visisted so this is an update for me as much as it is you. Velez went into the second phase unbeaten but with a narrow lead over rivals River. It only took 4 games for that unbeaten run to come to an end and but a few games later Scott managed to do the domestic double over River with a 4-0 win at home. After that game there was 4 points between the two teams. There was then a stretch of games where when one side dropped points so did the other and when one side won as did the other. This made for a nervy middle section of the season with Velez constantly looking over their shoulders. Fortunatel for Scott, River went on to lose 4games in a row dropping them out of the title race. Newell's were the only team to worry about but with a 9 point gap it was all but mathematicall secured. Eventually with 2 games to go Scott finally got his hands on his second league title, 7 years after his first.

Copa Argentina and Libertadores

As always the competitions run across two seasons. Scott will face fmailiar opposition in Union at the start of next season in the 6th round of the cup. Velez managed to qualify from their Libertadores group in second place to Athletico Mineiro, with both mathces finishing 3-1 to the home sides.

Personnel Career

Clubs Managed: 6
Nations Managed: 3
Trophies Won: 6
Runner Up Medals: 4
Manager of the Year: 2
2022, 2026/27 (Winner) | 2020, 2025/26 (Runner up)
Number of Sackings: 2 (Kaizer Chiefs, Suwon)

Career Earnings: £2.6 Million
---------------------------------------------------

Club Career

Season	NAT	Club		Division	Pos	Cup 1	Cup 2	Cont	CWC	Things to Note					
2020	CHI	Nublense	Primera Div B	6th	R2	-	-	-	Playoff Winners, U19s Runners up in Div 1
2021	CHI	Curico Unido	Primera Div	7th	R2	-	R1	-
2022	CHI	Curico Unido	Primera Div	1st	Won	-	R1	-	Domestic Double, MOTY
2022/23	ARG	CA Union	Superliga	17th	R5	-	-	-	Avoided Relegation
2023/24	ARG	CA Union	Superliga	15th	R5	-	-	-	Avoided Relegation
2024/25	ARG	CA Union	Superliga						Resigned End of Phase 1
2025/26	RSA	Kaizer Chiefs	Asba Prem	2nd	RU	Won	-	-	KO Cup Winners RU in other Comps
2026/27	RSA	Kaizer Chiefs	Asba Prem	3rd	RU	R1	Won	-	Champions League Winners, MOTY
2027	KOR	Suwon		K League 1	7th		-	QF	-	Joined July in 5th, Sakced September 15th
2027/28	ARG	Velez		Superliga	2nd	-	-	-	-	Joined December in 8th
2028/29	ARG	Velez		Superliga	1st	Won	-	QF	-	Domestic Double
----------------------------------------------------

International Career

Season	Nation		Rank	Continental	World Cup	Things to Note
2023	Honduras	67th	-		-		Relegated from Nations League
2024	Honduras	72rd	-		-		Qualified for Gold Cup 2025
2024	Russia		42nd	-		-		2nd in NL Div B	
2025	Russia		39th					Qualified for WC Finals 2026
2026	Russia		30th	-		2nd Rnd v SUI	Topped Group, Lost to Switzerland
2027	Nigeria		12th	RU		-		AFCON Runners Up, Resigned as manager
------------------------------
Challenge Progress
2/10 Leagues 	(Chile; Curico Unido 2022, Argentina; Velez 2028/29)
3/10 Cups	(Copa Chile; Curico Unido 2022, RSA Telkom KO; Kaizer Chiefs 2025/26, Copa Argentina; Velez 2028)
1/5 Continental	(Africa; Kaizer Chiefs 2026/27)
0/1 Worlds

0/5 Continental 
0/1 Worlds

Total 
6/32

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run through a whole season, and still not got a job. As in my first two goes at this challenge, I decided that I was going to start in a top league somewhere in the world. I've had a fair few interviews, from Wales, Ireland, Chile, Peru, South Africa... but not a single job offer. Might need to go back to the drawing board I think.

2047/48 – Real Madrid

171px-Real_Madrid_CF.svg.png

Manager Profile – Fixtures 1 – Fixtures 2 – Fixtures 3
Competitions – Player Stats – Transfers

While looking to improve my Sporting squad for the season, the job at Real Madrid opened up. I applied and got it, so this season is with them. And what a ride it would be. A badly-rounded squad where half of them is closing in on retirement is what awaited me, and a transfer budget that didn't really had room for much improvement. Signed a Portuguese back-up CB for free and a AMR for £10M before the season started, where the AMR was signed to replace a player that wanted to leave (but nobody wanted to buy apparently). A couple of recruits from Castilla and my U19 team was the solution to be able to make a somewhat rounded squad, and we we're just looking to do the best out of it. We are predicted 3rd this season, so it could become a project for a couple of seasons to win the much needed title.

La Liga: Well, what a ride it was. Starting out with El Derbi Madrileño followed by El Clásico, we were in for a tough start. Got 2 points out of them, and figured I should be happy with it. Then followed a sequence of great results, but we were placed 2nd for most of the season; behind Sevilla. Going into the final few games it was a tight 3-horse race between Sevilla, Barcelona and us. At some point in the penultimate round we were placed 3rd, but we turned it around and got the title. 
Spanish Cup: This two-legs matches in the beginning are quite annoying when you are much better than the opponent. Got to the quarter finals winning 9-0 and 6-0 over two games, but in the quarter finals we got knocked out. 1-0 and 0-1 against Atletico Madrid saw us out after a penalty shootout.
European Champions League: Knocked out in the group stage. Leipzig beat us twice, and Marseille had a better goal difference in the end. 
Europa League: 3rd place in group stage of Champions League means we qualified for Europa League. Had an amazing run and got to the final, where the best match have to be 7-0 against Ajax. Lyon beat us 3-0 in the final, so finished 2nd.

A bit unexpected to win the league, specially since we were placed 2nd most of the season, alternating between 1 and 7 points behind Sevilla. But since I got it, I see no reason to stay at Real Madrid anymore. I didn't win the cup here, but since it's not a requirement for the challenge I think I will take it somewhere else. Spain is probably one of the most competitive nations right now, and I think there is better hope at some other country. The European Championship is coming up this summer, so hopefully there will open up a spot managing a great nation after this, (hopefully one that qualified for Confed.), else Asian Cup is next year. Will look out for international management in the coming time, as well as I'll load up South Africa to prepare for the last Champions League.

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                        Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers        Hong Kong Premier League      6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International    Singaporean League            6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International    Singaporean League            1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup
2020      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               Unemployed
2021      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2022      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          10th       3rd round                N/A               Continental C-license, expected last in league, 3rd best in 2nd half of the season
2023      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                N/A               Continental B-license, expected last in league, qualified for ACL
2024	  Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                Qtr. Final        Continental A-license, qualified for ACL
2025      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          2nd        2nd                      1st               4th in CWC, won Chinese Super League Fair Play award
2026      Bahia                    Brazilian National 1st div.   N/A        5th round                N/A               Won the Bahia State, sacked after 4 league games
2027      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   15th       N/A                      N/A               Took over in 19th, barely avoided relegation
2028      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   11th       Qtr. final               N/A               Top half finish, 3rd round of Copa Sudamericana
2029      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   2nd        4th round                N/A               Semi final of Copa Sudamericana, Qualified for Copa Libertadores
2030      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   2nd        5th round                1st               3rd in CWC
2031      New York City FC         Major League Soccer           N/A        N/A                      Qtr. Final        Resigned in March, 0 pts  in 3 league games. Things just did not work
2031/32   Girondins de Bordeaux    Ligue 1 Conforama             10th       1st/10th round           N/A               Knocked out of group stage of and qualified for next seasons Europa League
2032/33   FC Internazionale        Serie A                       1st        1st round                N/A               Italian league!
2033/34   FC Internazionale        Serie A                       2nd        1st                      Group stage       Italian cup! Qtr final of Europa League
2034/35   N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2035/36   FC Schalke 04            Bundesliga                    12th       Semi final               N/A               Took over 11th after 21 games
2036/37   FC Schalke 04            Bundesliga                    6th        3rd round                N/A               Qualified for Europa League
2037/38   Manchester City          English Premier League        6th        1st                      N/A               Left Schalke halfway through, took over in March, FA Cup and Europa League qualification
2038/39   Manchester City          English Premier League        4th        5th round/Qtr. final     N/A               CL qualification, Qtr. final of Europa League
2039/40   Manchester City          English Premier League        2nd        1st/Qtr. final           1st               Won Champions League and FA Cup, 90+ points in league
2040/41   Manchester City          English Premier League        2nd        1st/2nd                  Qtr. final        Won Club World Cup, Carabao Cup and Community Shield, 90+ points in league
2041/42   Manchester City          English Premier League        1st        1st/Semi final           1st KO round      Won Club Premier League, FA Cup, 90+ points in league. Done with all achievements in England
2042/43   Paris Saint-Germain      Ligue 1 Conforama             1st        Qtr. final/10th rnd      2nd               Won Club World Cup, European Super Cup, Ligue 1.
2043/44   Bayern München 	   Bundesliga             	 1st        Qtr. final      	     N/A               Won Bundesliga
2044/45   N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2045/46   Club Necaxa              Liga BBVA MX                  1st/5th    1st                      1st               NACL, Mexican Cup, Mexican league
2046/47   Sporting CP              Primeira Liga                 3rd        Semi/Semi                Qtr final         
2047/48   Real Madrid              La Liga                       1st        Qtr. final               Group stage       Won La Liga, 2nd place in Europa League

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        Continental Tournament   World Tournament   Notes
2020     Iraq          N/A                      N/A                
2021     Iraq          N/A                      N/A                
2022     New Zealand   N/A                      N/A                
2023     Mexico        1st                      N/A                Won the Gold Cup
2026     Nigeria       N/A                      N/A                Qualified for ACON
2027     Nigeria       1st                      N/A                Won the ACON
2030     Australia     N/A                      N/A                
2031     Australia     2nd                      N/A                Lost final of Nations Cup on extra time
2032     Australia     N/A                      N/A
2033     Australia     N/A                      Group stage        Knocked out in group stage of Confederations Cup
2035     Brazil        1st                      N/A                Won Copa América
2036     Brazil        N/A                      N/A
2037     Brazil        N/A                      3rd                Sacked after the Confederations Cup
2040     Spain         N/A                      N/A                Took over after Euros
2041     Spain         N/A                      N/A                4th in Nations League
2042     Spain         N/A                      1st                World Cup
2043     Spain         N/A                      N/A                4th in Nations League
2044     Spain         2nd                      N/A		   2nd place in Euros
2045     Spain         N/A                      2nd		   2nd place in Confederations Cup, Nations League group stage
2046     Spain         N/A                      Qtr final          Knocked out in the quarter final of WC, sacked.

Challenge Progress (22/33)
Club
7/10 top domestic leagues (Geylang Int., SIN; FC Internazionale, ITA; Manchester City, ENG; Paris Saint-Germain, FRA; Bayern München, GER; Club Necaxa, MEX; Real Madrid, SPA)
6/10 domestic cups (HK Rangers, HKG; Geylang Int., SIN; Gd Bordeaux, FRA; FC Internazionale, ITA; Manchester City, ENG; Club Necaxa, MEX;)
4/5 club continental championships (Shijiazhuang Yongchang, CHN; SC Internacional, BRA; Manchester City, ENG; Club Necaxa, MEX;)
1/1 club world championship (Manchester City, ENG)

International
3/5 continental tournaments (Gold Cup, MEX; African Cup of Nations, NIG; Copa América, BRA; )
1/2 world tournaments (World Cup, SPA;)

Trophies:

Spoiler

Season     Team/Nation                Trohpy
2018       Hong Kong Rangers          Hong Kong League Cup
2018       Hong Kong Rangers          Hong Kong Sapling Cup
2018       Geylang International      Singaporean League Cup
2019       Geylang International      Singaporean League Cup
2020       Geylang International      Singaporean League
2023       Mexico                     North American Gold Cup
2025       Shijiazhuang Yongchang     Asian Champions League
2026       Shijiazhuang Yongchang     Chinese FA Super Cup
2026       Bahia                      Brazilian Bahia State Championship
2027       Nigeria                    African Cup of Nations
2029       SC Internacional           Brazilian Gaúcho State Championship
2030       SC Internacional           Brazilian Gaúcho State Championship
2030       SC Internacional           Copa Libertadores
2032       Girondins de Bordeaux      Coupe de la Ligue
2033       FC Internazionale          Serie A
2034       FC Internazionale          Italian Cup
2035       Brazil                     Copa América
2038       Manchester City            English FA Cup
2040       Manchester City            English FA Cup
2040       Manchester City            European Champions League
2040       Manchester City            Community Shield
2040       Manchester City            Club World Cup
2041       Manchester City            Carabao Cup
2042       Manchester City            Premier League
2042       Manchester City            English FA Cup
2042       Spain                      World Cup
2042       Paris Saint-Germain        European Super Cup
2042       Paris Saint-Germain        Club World Cup
2043       Paris Saint-Germain        Ligue 1 Conforama
2044	   FC Bayern München	      Bundesliga
2045	   Club Necaxa	              Copa MX
2045	   Club Necaxa	              Liga BBVA MX
2046	   Club Necaxa	              North American Champions League
2048	   Real Madrid	              La Liga

On 31/12/2019 at 08:54, vikeologist said:

Can't add leagues.

Didn't know there were official SI uploads though.

We never discussed things like this a few years ago, because there was only unofficial add ons to the game.

Its not important for me and how I play, but adding SI-games leagues would for me be cool. This is something that anyone could do these days, and especially the Canadian league would add depth to a region with only 2 playable leagues....

2 hours ago, TheEarl said:

We never discussed things like this a few years ago, because there was only unofficial add ons to the game.

Its not important for me and how I play, but adding SI-games leagues would for me be cool. This is something that anyone could do these days, and especially the Canadian league would add depth to a region with only 2 playable leagues....

@Watson156 I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to allow official leagues. Canadian league might make MLS a bit easier, but maybe not. Don't play the MLS, so OK. They're allowed.

Only official leagues, and even if a New Zealand or similar league becomes available, we we're not adding any new cups / tournaments until FM21.

For some reason though, the forum isn't allowing me to edit early posts.

So I can't update the rules, (or the leader board) at the moment.

@TheEarl Can you edit your posts at the start of the forum?

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

@TheEarl Can you edit your posts at the start of the forum?

Nope :(

Seems I can only edit posts that are less than a year old :(

Might have to ask a moderator to help you out, if even that is possible...

1755617607_Escudo_del_Club_Len.png.76d3241167719c665ba22d54d0dd53bd.png

Appointment

The next stage of our journey is in Mexico with Club Leon FC. The club have had recent success, winning the Liga Bancomer MX 2027 Closing Stage. This seems to have come at a cost, as they then lost 5 players to teams in China, with each player being sold for £12m or more. That money appears to have been reinvested pretty well but something just hasn't clicked, having lost in the Opening Stage semi finals this season, the club sit 8th as I take over, with 13 league games to play. Having never managed in Mexico, it appears the top 8 qualify for the play off format to determine who is crowned Champions. We are also in the CONCACAF (North American Champions League) 1st round and will prioritise this along with trying to get a play off place.

Brazil.png.6c8ae309c52cc58b3fa126bf66437459.png

Copa America 2028

Went into the tournament hosted in Argentina as favourites and ranked 2nd in the world and also top of the World Cup qualification group despite a couple of draws. But just before the tournament began, I lost one of the best players in the world Vinicious Junior AML through injury which rocked the team. Nevertheless we move on and take grace that we haven't lost to Argentina since my reign and head coach.

Results

We started the tournament in disastrous fashion losing to the USA B team 2 - 1 though it didn't really look or play for that matter as a B team. Our consolation goal came in the 87th minute so we were never really in the game.  Second game up was against Colombia who were the 3rd best rank South American team at ranked 10 in what was a must win game. We scored in the 29th minute but Colombia equalised a minute into the second half and needed a goal in the 80th minute to get our first win of the tournament. Next two games were against Ecuador and Peru in what I thought the whole tournament would be in relatively straight forward wins of 3 - 0 and 4 - 0. Last group game was against Venezuela who were sitting above us in first spot, a win would displace them. In a game I rotated the squad a little to freshen the team up a bit for the knockout rounds, we suffered another surprising 2 - 1 loss.

We ended up finishing second and were paired against Paraguay in the quarters. We despatched them 3 - 0 in a great performance. In the semis we had Uruguay and we managed to put together our best performance beating them 4 - 1 with Everton (Junior's replacement) scoring a first half hattrick. Mexico was the other invitational guest along with the USA and they did us a huge favour in knocking out Argentina in the Semis. 

Mexico B in the final, a team that was made up of a lot of teenagers and little senior experience. Two penalties in the second half gave Brazil their 4th Copa America in a row and another notch on the checklist for me.  

Might stick it out with Brazil for the World Cup in a couple years, they don't tend to organise a lot of friendlies which is nice.

On the club front 3 big jobs became vacant at Man City, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid. Was unsuccessful with my interview at Man City but got the job at Chelsea so after just a year at Milan I say goodbye. I broke their 15 year Serie A drought so im ok with that.

Bought FM20 solely to attempt this challenge, always been a one club man so will see how i fare with being a journeyman.

Really hope my Laptop can handle it, i skipped FM19 so i hope all the new training stuff doesn't overwhelm me too much!

Will hopefully have an update later with where i'm starting

5100217d68ce6aafda137e0.png

Wealdstone 2019/20

Crowy 2020

League Table

Results 1 ~ Results 2

Just a quick league overview for my first update, we had a great start but after that performances were very up and down. The league was very tight when I took over and at one point we found ourselves at the top of the table, sadly inconsistent performances let us down. I struggled with tactics and the match engine with long balls and silly red cards/penalties. All my teams contracts run out at the end of the season so I'm going for a huge overhaul, I've scouted all prem under 18 teams for contracts expiring etc but I'm not going to risk the clubs finances at this point as I've signed a new two year deal with the club. I've already made some excellent signings and the board only expect a top half finish but I'll be pushing to win the league next season.

CAREER PROGRESS

1921257404_CareerProgress.thumb.png.392550876e3cb8a97eb4f86ac826deb9.png

1292701995_Escudo_del_Club_Len.png.3a850f8314fa80ad3fc4f6dc193835bf.png

Season 10 2028 - Club Leon

Competitions

Having taken charge with only 13 games left I will only report on the games we managed.

Liga Bancomer MX Closing Stage - Results    League Table

I took over with 13 games left and with the club sat 8th. 7 wins and 4 draws out of those games saw us finish in a decent 3rd place. In the play offs we scrapped through the QF on away goals, losing the first leg 3-1 before winning 2-0 at home. In the semis, we were demolished. 3-0 and 2-0 losses meant no trophy for us. 

CONCACAF Champions League - Results

The boards expectations were to get to the final which I thought pretty unrealistic, and I was correct. Losing in the semi finals to Deportivo Guadalajara 4-1 on aggregate.

Playing Squad

Squad    Awards

We are in possession of some really good players, but the issue is the balance of the side. We have no out and out centre midfielders and this is costing us in the big games. With a transfer window opening soon, I will be looking to improve the midfield, we dont have much transfer budget, so may have to look for some hidden gems. 

Next Season

Coming into the job so late into the season meant this season was all about getting to know who is good enough to help us achieve our aims of silverware. That being said we wasn't a million miles away from winning something and with a few tweaks we should be there or thereabouts next season.

So I got my first job in my first ever FM20 save, not only am i learning a completely new squad but i'm also gonna have to learn the game early on. I had a few job interviews straight away but there was one i really wanted. Home United in the Singapore Premier League, as they sat top after 14 games, but alas they were the only team that didn't approach me after the interview.

I've instead ended up here

image.thumb.png.928c8cecc55e4dc82d68fba56c11eda4.png

A club in the same league but sit lower down in 7th out of 9. There's not much expectation other than to be competitive.

Here's my manager profile and game setup, i might need to lower the amount of leagues i've got as it already feels a bit slow.

image.thumb.png.e6736dddf0350bd7321d9fd2c904d8d2.png

Leagues at bottom are Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden and Wales

image.thumb.png.4dd8f9dd6f47d0d87c57f8a7b8999366.png

No clue what i'm doing but here goes!

The Earls quest for Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

Cork City FC 2021

This was really a season "in between". I used most of the season to build my team, and to develop some really great young players. This resulted in some inpatience from players and boards, but I kept my job. In the end we had a nice run, and climbed to 3rd. This gave us qualification to next years Europa League. The only win of the season came in the Munster Senior Cup, which doesn't count for anything in this challenge.

The history and stats are somewhat short this time, but I will pick it up again at a later stage.

1435236056_Skjermbilde2019-12-23kl_06_54_38.thumb.png.0551d1be18676187df521c08b43af046.png

HISTORY AND STATS

Season	- Team		- Nation	- League pos.	- FA Cup	- League Cup	- Other Cups		-	Notes
2018/19	- Glentoran	- N/A		- 5th		- NA		- NA		- NA			- Took over in 8th
2019/20	- Glentoran	- N/A		- 1st		- Finalist	- Semi Final	- Won 2 minor Cups	- Left the club as champion
2020	- Cork City FC	- N/A		- 7th		- Quarter finals- Winners	- No wins		- Took over in 8th
2021	- Cork City FC	- N/A		- 3rd		- Semi finals - 2nd round	- Won Munster Senior Cup

League wins: 1/10 - Northern Ireland 2019/20 (with Glentoran)
Cup wins: 1/10 - Ireland 2020 (League Cup with Cork City FC)
Continental cup wins: 0/5
Club World Cup: 0/1
International wins: 0/7

Edited by TheEarl

The Earls quest for Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

Cork City FC 2021

The story:

First I want to say, this attempt is not to make the fastest finish ever, but to enjoy every club and country I manage in. This means I might stay a bit longer than necessary in each place.

The league:

This time we didn't play as many draws as last season. We soon build up a huge lead, and to be honest our team was far better than any other in the league. I actually forgot to take a screenshot of the table, but we racked up the title already at the end of September.

1821976908_Skjermbilde2019-12-30kl_14_39_21.thumb.png.e27cefb58dbce97008a30100ac512acf.png

League Cup

In the league cup, we hardly faced premiership opponents all season. In the end it was an easy win, in a competition I had already marked off my checklist in 2020.

1369087706_Skjermbilde2019-12-30kl_12_28_59.thumb.png.f423990d64dfb06fbf3d9c3455defb1b.png

FA-Cup

To top off the season with a nice treble, we also won the FA-Cup this season.

670240281_Skjermbilde2019-12-30kl_15_52_27.thumb.png.49ff02f446a4ed9a4b91bdba87364c20.png

Europa League

I really felt the game had some bugs this season, and thats why I will leave Cork City immediately. We won far too easily (and too much) in Europa League. We beat opponents we really shouldn't beat, and by a far margin. We stormed into the Group Stage, and there we won 5 out of 6 matches. Another "bug" in my mind, was the schedule of matches. We played 15 games in 34 days. J.Klopp just shut up :P lol

590628081_Skjermbilde2019-12-30kl_13_10_54.thumb.png.7041cfb7b4d4d4bc6f88ad81ef855c6d.png24746561_Skjermbilde2019-12-30kl_14_20_36.thumb.png.5aeb4d19cd9d0da5fa254ff53e07875b.png

Internationals and going forward

I took over Angola in 100th position on the World Rankings, right at the end of the year. Just had time for 1 friendly, beating Madagascar by 7-0. Going forward I left Cork, and hope to move to Scotland or England. Maybe taking the job in Angola will be a hindrance, but I hope not. The reason for not playing Europa League until the finish, is that I scream "cheater" to my self. Really we did too well there.

I enjoyed my time at Cork, and hope I will do the same at the next club.

HISTORY AND STATS

Season	- Team		- Nation	- League pos.	- FA Cup	- League Cup	- Other Cups		-	Notes
2018/19	- Glentoran	- N/A		- 5th		- NA		- NA		- NA				- Took over in 8th
2019/20	- Glentoran	- N/A		- 1st		- Finalist	- Semi Final	- Won 2 minor Cups	- Left the club as champion
2020	- Cork City FC	- N/A		- 7th		- NA		- Winner	- NA			- Took over in 8th
2021	- Cork City FC	- N/A		- 3rd		- Semi finalist	- 2nd round	- Won Munster Senior Cup	- 
2022	- Cork City FC	- Angola	- 1st		- Winner	- Winner	- Won Munster Senior Cup	- Left club as treble champions. Took over Angola in 100th place on World Rankings

League wins: 2/10 - Northern Ireland 2019/20 (with Glentoran), 2022 Ireland (with Cork City FC)
Cup wins: 1/10 - EA Sports Cup 2020 (and 2022) (with Cork City FC) (Also won FAI Ford Cup 2022 with Cork City FC)
Continental cup wins: 0/5
Club World Cup: 0/1
International wins: 0/7

All time stats:

Games	- Won	- Draw	- Lost	- Goals For	- Goals against
215	- 135	- 45	- 34	- 492		- 231

All time highest goalscorer: Liam Nash 45 goals (Cork City FC)
All time most assists: Shane Griffin 38 assists (Cork City FC)
All time most appearances: Fraser Fyvie 93 apps (Cork City FC)

All time Best XI

Goalkeeper: Tadgh Ryan - Cork City FC
Right Back: Gary Boylan - Cork City FC
Centre Back: Calum Birney - Glentoran
Centre Back: Dan Casey - Cork City FC
Left Back: Shane Griffin - Cork City FC
Central Midfielder: Conor Pepper - Glentoran
Central Midfielder: Fionn Murphy - Cork City FC
Central Midfielder: Fraser Fyvie - Cork City FC
Striker: Peter McMahon - Glentoran
Striker: Liam Nash - Cork City FC
Striker: Benny Ashley-Seal - Cork City FC

Edited by TheEarl

Half Season 1 2019 - Geylang International

First season in management complete and here's how it went

image.thumb.png.859907bafdac2800048c909fbc21a462.png

image.thumb.png.379d373a3f496246823dc50f7f8c96c9.png

I took over in July when they were in 7th, and finished in 6th, I just don't know where i can take this team, we have 1 5* player who's leaving on a free as he doesn't want to renew his contract, i can only register 2 foreign players, and the team's depth is awful.

Home United, the job i really wanted won the league comfortably which makes it worse, i'll try to rebuild in preseason but don't intend to stay here too long

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                        Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2019      Geylang                  Singapore PL                     6th       Prelim, Group Stage        NA            Took over after we were out of Singapore Cup, 7th in league

I forgot in my update to mention some of my goals for this challenge:

- A player to play 500 matches under my management

- A player to score 250 goals under my management

- A player to win World Footballer of the Year, and European Golden Boot under my management, and preferably not at his "first club" under my management.

So far obviously far away from these goals, but I want to bring players with me from club to club. So far no player has played for me in more than one club.

Good luck, ryanlion28.

The 2nd job in my challenge was at Geylang, and I found it to be a great place to manage. The league is quite competitive, and even though Home won the league by a mile this year it doesn't mean anything for next season. Also there are two cups, so chances are you might check off one or two marks for the challenge quickly. Personally I always had problems against Niigata Unicorn when I played in Singapore but they finished below you now. It's more than possible to make a league-winning team with only two foreign players, but you need to choose them wisely.

Right, I've not done a challenge for many years and was never really a serial winner on previous editions, so this really isn't the mission for me. Therefore, I'm going to give it a go. I'm starting unemployed, with all leagues in Asia opened up as this is the region I'll attempt to conquer first. 

I'll update you all as soon as I get going.....

2 hours ago, Skogmus said:

Good luck, ryanlion28.

The 2nd job in my challenge was at Geylang, and I found it to be a great place to manage. The league is quite competitive, and even though Home won the league by a mile this year it doesn't mean anything for next season. Also there are two cups, so chances are you might check off one or two marks for the challenge quickly. Personally I always had problems against Niigata Unicorn when I played in Singapore but they finished below you now. It's more than possible to make a league-winning team with only two foreign players, but you need to choose them wisely.

Thanks for the heads up, there were much worse places to start..

Is that fine for the challenge then? The two cups would count as two towards the overall challenge? (They both involve top tier sides)

2 minutes ago, ryanlion28 said:

Thanks for the heads up, there were much worse places to start..

Is that fine for the challenge then? The two cups would count as two towards the overall challenge? (They both involve top tier sides)

The previous census has been to only count one from each nation, although the initial maker of this challenge never mentioned anything like this. However you might choose which one you want to count (hence the one you win, in case you don't win both).

You can see how I calculated Ireland in my latest update ;)

When the challenge started many years ago, there was confusion, but the guidelines have been pretty clear for a while now.

10 cups from 10 different nations.

I think @Skogmus just meant that if a nation has multiple cups, it doubles or even triples the chances of winning a cup in that country to go along with the league. Always a pain to win the league but no cup, and have to face the decision of whether to stick around for another year just for the cup, especially since even if you're the dominant team, cups can still be a bit of a lottery. 

On the other hand, more than one person has had to take another job at the end of the challenge just to win a cup.

Edited by vikeologist

1 hour ago, vikeologist said:

I think @Skogmus just meant that if a nation has multiple cups, it doubles or even triples the chances of winning a cup in that country to go along with the league. Always a pain to win the league but no cup, and have to face the decision of whether to stick around for another year just for the cup, especially since even if you're the dominant team, cups can still be a bit of a lottery. 

Exactly. Cups are a special thing where you need to towards your best at each fixture. Single-elimination is tough like that, one loss and you're out. Matchups over 2 legs are better than one leg, but you can still lose it on that one bad involvement. It just doesn't require the same amount of consistency as a league. Two cups gives you two chances to get it, you don't rely on that one opportunity each season. Even better, these small nations don't have a lot of teams so you don't have to go through a lot of rounds to potentially win it. 

PERSIS SOLO FC

INDONESIAN LEAGUE TWO

Logo.png.a3daa58e2f66043fab14ba28cddf3f93.png

Manager Profile | Final League Table | Fixtures

After months of patiently waiting as a young naive Indian coach, Agent Cookie finally got his first role in the Asian region. Persis Solo FC, of Indonesian League Two liking what they heard in their interview with him, and swiftly offered him the role.

It was in at the deep end for Agent Cookie, who joined the club in the relegation zone, with three matches remaining in the season to save the club and also his position as manager. There was also no prospect of a cup run, as the club had already been eliminated in the first round.

Four points from the remaining three matches were enough avoid the drop, and allow Cookie some time to start the rebuilding process this club clearly needs.

MANAGEMENT HISTORY

Season		Club		Country		Continent	Division		League Position	Cup	Achievements
2019/2020	Persis Solo FC	Indonesia 	Asia		Indonesia League Two	9th		n/a	n/a

45 minutes ago, KI Heynckes said:

I feel like some guys here use the ingame editor to secretly boost their reputation and stuff. When starting with no badges and no reputation you normally don't get jobs at all and this guys are at Dortmund after 5 seasons or even start at good Chinese teams.

Like who?

Nobody currently doing the challenge is at Dortmund after 5 seasons or has started at a good Chinese team. 

If you look back to page 1, maybe. I was the 2nd person to start the challenge and the very first job I got was at a top league Chinese side. However, the job was so bad that I instantly restarted the challenge without even playing a match. Lesson learned. Not all jobs are good jobs.

That was about 7 years ago, and every year the first job gets harder. So, if you're looking at page 1, well, yeah, things used to be easier first job-wise.Top divisions in China and South Africa. English League 1. But that was a long time ago. 

Frankly the reason I'm enjoying monitoring this challenge again is precisely because nobody is doing anything dodgy these days. Occasionally people are offered surprising jobs, but that's just a quirk of the game.

So, if you think someone is cheating, call them out by name, but I honestly have no idea who you mean if you're referring to people currently doing the challenge. Nobody is at Dortmund in 5 years, and nobody started at a good Chinese side. (I've lived in China for a long time, and good Chinese side is a contradiction in terms anyway).

Edited by vikeologist

Another thing is, I'm pretty sure everyone doing the challenge at this moment in time has shown a full screenshot at one time or another and the in game editor icon would be visible, no?

In terms of plans for my save i've always tried to end on winning the Champions League with Wolves or another smaller team in a big nation, I'm going to attempt that first this time around. It may make my save take longer but I'd rather do what is enjoyable to me.

Edited by Crowy

Just now, Crowy said:

Another thing is, I'm pretty sure everyone doing the challenge at this moment in time has shown a full screenshot at one time or another and the in game editor icon would be visible, no?

Is there an icon?

I'll admit. I haven't stipulated that the IGE must be disabled. I only said that it shouldn't be used except for cosmetic things. 

I used to like to have all my teams in pink strips.

Currently I'm managing Palermo in the youth save, but I'm tempted to get the IGE so I can change the hue of pink.

it is possible to prove that you haven't used the IGE, but I really think that KI is just a troll. 

Although I haven't done the challenge for a while, the first thing I did on FM20 was 'start' it to see if I could get Bradford City as a first team, now that they're in League 2. (The answer is a resounding No). Honestly, nothing about any of your saves looks fishy, and anyway I've learned to just ignore anybody who is blatantly cheating, because what difference does it make to me?

I did put something in the guidance about 'please don't do the challenge if you're just going to reload until you win.

I mean, I feel sorry for @Skogmus,(who is a really good and successful manager), but his mishaps are interesting to read, and when he does succeed, I will feel a greater admiration for him because of his mishaps.

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Is there an icon?

There was last year, a little pencil to the left of the Globe, ?, and FM Icons. I don't know if it's always been that, or what happens with other skins and such. 

On 29/10/2015 at 22:20, vikeologist said:

Well, you'll notice that this challenge does allow the use of the in-game editor for cosmetic purposes. My teams may be crap, but I need them to look snazzy. Mind you, it's kind of silly that I buy it just so I can change the strips. Also the power of the IGE scares me, and especially how easy it makes cheating. It would be easy to accidentally click on the wrong button and move a player to my team, although I suppose I could just disable the IGE.

I also used the IGE to establish that my guy hates certain clubs, although for the sake of a harmonious thread, I will choose to draw a veil over the specifics. Of course this is against the rules of the challenge. Let me know if you object to this, so that I can use the IGE to make my guy hate you.

Just realised / remembered that I did in fact break the rules of my challenge when I completed it by using the IGE for non-cosmetic purposes. Maybe the Chairman of my first South African club hated Scum Town as much as my manager did and offered him the job entirely on that basis.

Incidentally, I haven't bought the IGE for years, (this was 4 years ago), because I appreciate it would be tempting to have a look to see what's going on beneath the hood, even if you didn't change anything, which would still be cheating.

Whenever I watch my Palermo side play SPAL however, I'm tempted to splash the cash, because the strips are practically indistinguishable. Believe me, when my teams played in shocking pink, there was no such confusion.

Edited by vikeologist

Thanks, Vikeologist. I'm glad you enjoy reading about my failures misfortunes.

Jokes aside, I'm glad that this challenge is completed before me. I find inspiration in the Hall of Fame, seeing how some of you kept it going until 2050, 2060, and even longer, still chasing completion. I'm certain that I will complete this challenge now, but it might still take a while. 

10 minutes ago, KI Heynckes said:

In the start post it's stated "Domestic Cups from 10 separate nations required (where top level teams can enter)" 

So when I win the League Cup it counts too?

Yes.

Either the English League Cup or FA Cup counts as a cup towards the challenge (but not both).

1024475466_SLBenfica.thumb.png.192fcb7082960d247af65123844d92f3.png

SL Benfica

2025-2026 End-of-Season Update

Liga Nos

Portuguese Perfection. 34-0-0. 102 points. 110 GD. I'd love to highlight some key moments, but it was never really competitive. No one was a threat in the league, and our greatest threats to perfection were injuries, rotation, or complacency. We overcame all three and won virtually every award and acknowledgement possible. I swept Manager of the Year and (9/9) Manager of the Months. Cesar won the Golden Boot and Player of the Year. Portal finished second and took home Young Player of the Year. Just for good measure, Yazici (AMR - IW) finished 3rd in goals and assists. David Brooks (also AMR-IW) was second in assists. Onana was top goalkeeper. We ended up with 10 of the 11 on team of the season. I think we only missed out at LB, because I discovered a "wonderkid" buried on Benfica B after buying Junior Firpo from Barca, and rotated too much for either to win. 

Cup Competitions

Won our group for the league cup easily, before taking down Porto (2-0) in the semis and Sporting (5-1) in the final. Redemption for the club, as that was the only domestic trophy they didn't win in the previous season. 

We made it to the Cup of Portugal semis by winning each match by 3+, then took both legs of the semis against FC Famalicão (3-2, 3-1), to setup our final, and last domestic match of the season against Porto. We started well enough, but squandered chance after chance, only let off and let in two cheap ones in five minutes late in the half. First time all season we'd trailed by 2 goals. It looked like it was just going to be one of those days. Made two subs and decided to go all out attack to start the second. Figured either they'd score, and it'd be over, or we'd score and they'd be under incredible pressure trying to hold on the rest of the way. In the 52nd minute, Portal finally buried a premium chance, which he followed up, by tapping in his own rebound a few minutes later. Even inside 15 minutes. I thought we had a chance after the first, knew it was ours after the second. Brooks, a halftime sub, tallied the 3rd on '71. We squandered some chances to put it away, but they never looked like scoring. Domestic treble complete. 

Champions League

After winning our group easily, our away leg at Tottenham was a wake up call. We were largely dominated for 80+ minutes. Only a MotM-worthy performance from Onana kept us in it, until we equalized on slop, in the 87th minute. A 1-1 first leg felt completely undeserved. The second leg played out largely in reverse.  Cesar capitalized on one of our many chances in the 21st minute, but we failed to put them away, so of course, Kane equalized in the 87th minute. Ugh. Potentially devastating momentum shift. Just get this to extra time. We've got the crowd behind us and I like our chances if it goes to penalties. Just as I was mentally preparing for that reality, one of their WC midfielders inexplicably played toward their CBs (both of whom were on a yellow), where Cesar was waiting. He intercepted, spun, and was off. Not as pacey as Portal, but far more clinical. Keeper never stood a chance. 2-1, 3-2 on aggregate. 

Man City next, away first. We're not built to park the bus, but pulled back a bit. They had a slight edge, but neither side created a whole lot. 0-0. We largely dominated the home leg, gradually upping the pressure, until Leon Bailey (my biggest signing) finally came through with his biggest moment of the season in the 74th minute. We didn't blow it this time.

Inter Milan in the semis, home first. They had more of the ball and more of the shots, but Cesar was absolutely unstoppable. Five shots, all on target, four found the back of the net. 4-1. Boring, professional, 0-0 second leg. On to the final, where we'd face....

Bruno Lage's Bayern. How fitting? I turned down Bayern's interview request, hoping he'd get the job, and I could take his post. 10 months later, we'd face off to be Champions of Europe. In between, I had to chase him off numerous times trying to poach key players. Namely, Tiago Dantas (DLP). Thankfully. 11 minutes in, off a seemingly innocuous throw in, Dantas played an absolutely filthy, in-swinging cross (from way downtown...) to a shockingly unmarked Portal for the half-volley (bang!). 1-0.  We pushed for a second, unsuccessfully (posts...), the rest of the first half. Then subbed Cesar for a DM, let them have the ball, tried to limit chances, and hope to put it away on the counter. A nerve-calming second never came, but thanks to a world-class save by Onana, and a couple more off the posts, we managed to hold on to become...

Spoiler

European Champions!  (I've won EL before, but pretty sure this is the first time I've won UCL across FMs)

Looking Ahead

I don't think I could have done much less to win so many trophies. Benfica was absolutely dominant before I took over (stacked squad, ridiculously rich, 5* reputation, and two UCL trophies this decade) and will almost certainly continue after I depart.  My two biggest signings (Bailey and Firpo) contributed, but aside from the winning goal against City (which was largely unremarkable except in its significance), weren't really vital to our success. I made some moves for the future, which have already started paying dividends off the field, but they have nothing to do with the trophies we've already lifted. From a managerial standpoint, we largely won the vast majority of our matches on quality alone. I feel like I really had to manage maybe 10 matches, across all competitions, all season. I took over Benfica realizing it would be easy domestically, allowing me to focus on Europe, and hoping it would serve as a stepping stone (and "base of operations") for the Portugal job. Great plan, worked brilliantly, then...

Spoiler

Portugal 5, Germany 1.

Well, that was a curveball I hadn't exactly counted on. The Portugal job is open, so could go for it, and try to win Euros. The team is already stacked and my squad will only make it stronger, but I'm pretty set on trying to win the WC with a first-time winner (and Portugal wasn't my original "target,"although, that certainly limits my options). Alternatively, Brazil is open, as are a few African and Asian Nations. Not much out there from a club perspective. Strategically, with the club world cup only every four years, I'd hate to give up a quality team that has already qualified, for one that hasn't, but three years is a long time to sit around waiting for that one competition, and frankly, that was boring. So I'll probably stick with it, until something interesting comes along, and see how long we can stretch this unbeaten run. 

Club Career

Season		Nation		Team			League		Cup(1)	Cup(2)	Cont.	Notes
2019-20 	RSA(2)		Tuks FC			2nd		N/A	N/A	N/A	Promotion via playoff
2020-21 	RSA(1)		Tuks FC			1st		Final	Champ	N/A	Won league and league cup
2021		China(1)	Dalian Yifang		3rd		Final	N/A	N/A	Qualified AFC CL
2022		China(1)	Dalian Yifang		1st		Champ	N/A	Champ	Won league, cup, CL
2023-24		Spain(1)	Celta Vigo		5th		Champ	N/A	N/A	Won cup, Qualified EL
2024-25		Spain(1)	Celta Vigo		1st		5th rd	N/A	2nd KO	Won league, qualified CL
2025-26		Portugal(1)	SL Benfica		1st		Champ	Champ	Champ	Won league, cup(s), and CL

International Career

Season		Nation		Continental		World		Notes
2023		USA		Champs			N/A		Beat Jamaica 3-0 to win Gold Cup

Challenge

Club
4/10 Top Domestic Leagues ('20-21 ABSA Premiership - Tuks FC; '22 CSL - Dalian Yifang; '25 LaLiga - Celta Vigo; '26 Liga NOS - SL Benfica)
4/10 Top Domestic Cups	('20 Telkom Knockout - Tuks FC; '22 China FA Cup - Dalian Yifang; '24 Spanish Copa Del Rey - Celta Vigo;
	'26 Cup of Portugal - SL Benfica)
2/5 Continental Championshsips	('22 AFC Champions League - Dalian Yifang, '26 UEFA Champions League - SL Benfica)
0/1 Club World Cups

International
1/5 Continental Championships	(2023 Gold Cup - USA)
0/1  World Tournaments 

SL Benfica '26.jpg

Edited by XuluBak

On 04/01/2020 at 15:49, KI Heynckes said:

I feel like some guys here use the ingame editor to secretly boost their reputation and stuff. When starting with no badges and no reputation you normally don't get jobs at all and this guys are at Dortmund after 5 seasons or even start at good Chinese teams.

I think this would be as far away from the reality as you could possibly go.

In my save which is with FM19 (probably slightly easier than FM20), after 5 seasons I couldn't get an interview with Bournemouth. If you count all kinds of trophies, I have 9 to my belt, and 3 of those count for this challenge. So I would call it a pretty good start, but Dortmund no way.....

Senegalese_Football_Federation.png

Senegal National Team

I decided to take the Senegal post over Portugal, Brazil, or Australia, largely because AFCON came first and Senegal were among the favorites, having won two of the last three. Qualifying began before the WC and we've got a fairly easy group (Guinea - 57th; Mauritania - 123rd; Ethiopia - 156th), but suspect that's fairly standard. Playing a 433 (4141 DM Wide), squad is actually pretty solid, except for LB. We've been fairly dominant, if a bit wasteful, in my two matches in charge. We've qualified, and should lock up the group next match, for good measure.

I decided to stay at Benfica until something that makes sense to take comes along. Had a big summer sell off (400M+ out, 40M in), but aside from Onana and my backup RB, my core is largely intact. Unfortunately, our season is off to a rough start. Cesar, Junior Firpo, and Yuzici all went down for an extended stretch early in the year. We lost the UEFA Super Cup to Manchester United. Drew a relatively favorable UCL group, only to lose our first match away to Monaco in the 94th minute, then dropped two more points at home to Bayer 04 Leverkusen in the 85th minute, despite largely dominating both matches. We're still unbeatable domestically though. 

Nothing of interest has come open, but I've been keeping an eye on Gremio.  Their manager is barely hanging on due to poor domestic performance, despite advancing well into Copa Libertadores. Might make the move if it comes open, and will keep an eye out for interesting posts, but if I'm still in Benfica past the winter window, I'll probably try to stay through the end of the season. 

Well Scott's task of winning the Copa Libertadores just got tougher. Deadline day in England and Argentina. Chilean CB Hidalgo is subject of many bids from Premier League teams, with Real Madrid also interested. He was signed for 1.3 million at the start of last season. Scott renewed his contract and managed to get in a release clause of £50 million to hopefully deter any buyers. Offers came in for 4mil, then 7mil, 10mil etc. slowly creeping up to the 50 million mark. Then along comes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. "Here Scott I'll give you the £50million"

On the one hand £48.7 million profit after 31 league games is pretty good going. On the other, that's the clubs best player gone with only 8 hours left to try to replace him.

Hidalgo.thumb.png.8f68468081361aa6415ab937d538f2f2.png        598058442_Hidalgo2.0.thumb.png.2c37fd5b90ae0f08b4cd60832a760663.png     903477516_Hidalgo3.0.thumb.png.dd40e3dc9f961fbbc6848fc2d320f2c4.png

Edited by bjwphneb

Yeah if I were staying on with Velez i'd be delighted but want to be moving on in 6 months (after the Libertadores finishes, assuming i win it). Like all good managers that now have a hole in their back four I bought some great strikers and a 35 year old Dybala

Bildresultat för hammarby

Hammarby IF - 2025 report

I finally managed to make some progress in this challenge as my patience started to run out. I've managed to take a team that finished 13th the previous season to win the league, which is my best achievement so far in the challenge. We were given a transfer budget of 8 million euros before the season which is a lot of money for a Swedish team. I also finally managed to get a tactic working on this years FM.

Best players:

Alef

Rewan Amin

Ezequiel Gimenez

Augustin Chochobar

John Björkengren

Felix Eboa Eboa

Manager profile

League table

Season review

CLUB CAREER
                                                        -----------

Season       Team             Country            League           Position           FA Cup          League Cup         Champs League       Others & Notes       
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019         Magni            Iceland            1. delid karla   5th                -               -                  -                   Joined with 11/22 games to go, was in 5th finished in 5th
2020	     Magni            Iceland            1. delid karla   5th                QF    	     Group Stage	-		    National C licence	
2021         Magni	      Iceland            1. delid karla   5th 	 	     R32  	     SF			-		    National B licence, resigned after last game
2022	     Hudiksvalls FF   Sweden             Division 1 north 3rd		     Group stage     -                  -                   Got my first international job, National A licence	
2023	     Hudiksvalls FF   Sweden             Division 1 north 3rd		     QR2             -                  -                   Continental C and A licence      
2024	     Hudiksvalls FF   Sweden   	         Division 1 north 1st                Won in QR2      -                  -                   -     	    
2025	     Hammarby FF      Sweden	         Allsvenskan      1st                Group stage     -                  -                   Continental Pro licence
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                   --------------------

Season       Country         Tournament         Finished         Others & Notes             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022         Haiti           -			-		 -
2023         Nigeria         AFCON		R16		 Sacked after AFCON
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGE PROGRESS
                                                    ------------------

Club

1/10  Top Domestic Leagues (Sweden)
 0/10  Top Domestic Cups
 0/5   Continentals Cups
 0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/5   Continental Tournaments
 0/2   World Tournaments

Edited by LeoFM

chelsea.png.6392fdcb7be32191864cfaa78ad6afbf.png

Season 10 - 2028/29

This is a season that wont escape my memory for a very long time. After moving from Milan after only 1 season, I came to a team full of world class players that needed little improvement, but I had the money so brought in no less than 6 top notch signings as you do. All competitions were in play and was hoping to compete in all.  The season started off ok, we played Man Utd away first up and after leading 3 - 0 with 15 mins to go, we walked away with a point. Next up was the Euro Super Cup as Chelsea won the Champions Cup last year which had us against Europa Cup winners....  AC Milan. We beat them 4 - 0 and I knew I made the right choice to come to this club. It took up until the 19th game for our first loss in the league, Liverpool easily beating us 3 - 0. We would then go 13 games unbeaten having us secure on top with a 11 point gap to second at one point. I started playing my second string side in order preserve the first team for the cup comps thinking we had the league sealed.  Boy did FM come and bite me in the ass for my arrogance.  3 early red cards in consecutive games against Tottenham, Sheff Utd and Newcastle where we only managed 1 point followed by a loss to Burnley away destroyed us and let Man Utd take full advantage as they only dropped 2 points in the last 42 available to win the league. I haven't ever crumbled and given away a league like this before, its going to take a while to get over it!

The Champions League was the focus whilst having a pretty comfortable lead atop of the premiership. The group stage had us against Genk, Locomotive Moscow and none other than Wolfsburg (my previous employers who sacked me a year after winning the Bundesliga). 5 wins and a draw against Wolfsburg away got us easily through. First knockout round paired us with Juventus which I enjoyed some success against with Milan last year so I was quite confident. First leg away and it couldn't have started any worse conceding a goal in the first minute. We then gave a penalty away in the 10th minute which luckily was saved. We dominated the rest of the match however couldn't find the back of the net, the game finished 1 - 0. This is what happened in the home leg. Close to 40 shots for a return of 1 goal and conceded in the 90th minute to bow out way too early in the competition!

We at least won the FA Cup and got a little teeny bitty revenge on Man Utd.

Im surprised I haven't been sacked (yet) and the board have given me a warchest of 270m pounds to spend. Will stick it out for as long as they want me until we win the league and champions league. 

Top Domestic Leagues     2 / 10 - Bundesliga (Wolfsburg 2026), Serie A (AC Milan 2028)

Cups                                     3 / 10 - Betfred Cup (Arbroath 2023), DFB Pokal (Wolfsburg 2026), FA Cup (Chelsea 2029)

Continental                         0 / 6

International                       2 / 5 - AFCON (Senegal 2023), Copa America (Brazil 2028)

1024475466_SLBenfica.thumb.png.192fcb7082960d247af65123844d92f3.png

SL Benfica

2026-2027 Winter Break

Reflecting on the 2025-26 season, we were incredibly fortunate to stay as healthy as we did. We had a few injuries here and there, but no significant injuries to key players (Onana and Cesar missed a month or so, but it was largely over winter break), and we were never put in a real bind tactically due to accumulation of injuries at a single position. Well, we're making up for it so far this season, which has been compounded by keeping a slightly smaller squad, and putting more strain on fit players. Portal missed 1 month, Cesar missed 2 months, Lopez (3rd striker) missed 2 weeks, Gomes (4th) missed 4 months. That's just at striker, similar story for our wingers and FBs. Fortunately, our CMs and CBs managed to largely avoid injury, until we lost Varnier (we rotate 3 CBs pretty consistently) right before break, but thankfully, that won't cost us too many games. We just got a wonderkid CM back from loan and will be looking to add a 4th CB for the home stretch, just as we did last season.

Despite our injury woes, we've managed to keep beat everyone put before us domestically. Portal has been insane (just won FIFA Best U-21), on pace to break 50 goals, despite missing a month, and should comfortably break the Liga Nos record set by Cesar last season, provided he doesn't miss too much more time. Overall, our attack is nowhere near last year's levels, but that's to be expected with the injuries, so our defense has had to step up, and managed to hold on for more 1-0 and 2-1 results than all of last year. 

Champions League group stage was...stressful. Lost our first match, away to AS Monaco, in the 94th minute, and dropped two more points to Bayer 04 Leverkusen in the 85th minute at home, despite largely dominating both matches.  The guys were clearly feeling the pressure of the hole they'd dug themselves, in our away leg with PAOK, squandering chance after chance, until finally finding a winner and clincher, in the 91st and 96th minutes, respectively. Home leg, 9-0. More like it. That meant we could clinch advancement at home against AS Monaco with a 2-1, 1-0, or better. They sat back, didn't even seem like they were trying to counter; clearly playing for a 0-0. They almost managed it. Stoppage time penalty earned and converted. Cost their manager his job. Had to win our last match to win the group. Started as poorly as possible, conceding on an indirect free kick in the first minute. Bounced back really strong though, and went into the half 2-1. They equalized early in the second, and despite our best efforts, held on 2-2. Our punishment for blowing it, not once, not twice, but thrice? FC Barcelona. Ugh. 

On the job front, I kept holding out hope Gremio's boss would get sacked, even applied some pressure to the situation, but despite horrible league form, he held on long enough to win the Copa Libertadores final. At that point, I'd largely reserved myself to seeing things out at Benfica. There were only maybe a handful of posts I'd even consider at this point. Sure enough, Ajax somehow managed to get knocked out in the group stages of Europa League. That didn't go over well. Applied. Got my board to "waive compensation." Surely it's mine, and they'll let me see out this season with Benfica, right? Nope. They went with form OGC Nice player, recently turned manager, Benjamin Andre. Oh well. 

Edited by XuluBak

7 hours ago, XuluBak said:

Ouch. Brutal way to go out in the UCL, then having a month like that, so close to the end, costing you the league as well.  Were the FA cup semis on either side of the SHU match?

It was close but we had Swansea who were playing in the championship but even they pushed us to extra time where we scored in the final minutes. It was a very baron run towards the end. Surprised we managed to turn it around for the final

Scott Williams 2029 Winter Update

1243721129_VelezBadge.png.85b73f0eabd124bbbb1b2565b151d3ba.png

Velez

The League and cup are pretty redundent as Scott has already won them both however after a shakey start Velez managed to fight their way to the top of the Superliga. In the cup Velez will look to win win it for a thrid time in a row beating Union, Belgrano and Racing Club on the way to the final where they face independiente.

Copa Libertadores

To Recap, Velez finished second on goal difference in their group to Athletico Mineiro. 

Round 2 (definitley)

Spoiler

Round 2 saw Velez face up against one of Brazils best, Gremio. They have won the competition three times in the last ten years but came into the first leg on inconsitent form. The home tie was hard thought and looked to be heading for a 0-0 until the 91st minute when Ayrton Montenegro scored to give Scott's men the advantage. The second leg was again extremely tough Velez controlled the ball but the better chances were falling to Gremio. That was until Pacheco was tripped in the box, a quick check with VAR confirmed it was a penalty. Santiago Aguero stepped up and smashed it down the middle. 2-0 on aggregate, Gremio needed 3 with 15 to go. The celebrations were cut very short however as Hernani quickly fired in the 75th and 79th minute. Currently Velez were going through on away goals. There last chance came from a wide FK in the 93rd minute, a searching cross which Hidalgo headed away before blocking a shot. That would prove to be one of the last bits of defending he did for the club before signing for united. FT 2-2, through on away goals.

Quarter Final (maybe)

Spoiler

The QF, last seasons exit round. This year Scott faces a much kinder draw Defensor Sporting of Uruguay. This round went much as the media predicted, 5-1 win on aggregate and through to the semi final without breaking a sweat.

Semi Final (maybe)

Spoiler

Last season Velez were the only non Brazillians team in the QF this season they were the only ones in the SF. Santos were the opponents with Flamengo playing Internacional. This tie really did make Scott squirm. Another goaless first half almost mirroring the second round match, 65th minute penalty to Velez. Dybala is on the pitch but for some reason Aguero is taking it. That's okay he's not missed yet thi.... He's missed it. Struck the post and the defender clears. Still plenty of time to get a much needed goal. 90th minute, RB pumps the ball forward its flicked on by the ST who is through 1-on-1, the keeper saves it but it falls to out RW who scores into the empty net. 1-0! In Brazil the first half once again ended 0-0 Alexis Alessio, who is having a fantastic season, scored on the 64th minute before Velez two Brazilians combined to get a second in the 75th. Like Gremio, Santos got two back quickly on 78 and 79. but finally £35Million signing Flavio Mello Monteiro scored in the 93rd minute to send Velez through to the final. You really don't want to be leaving these games early.

Final (maybe)

Spoiler

Before the international break Velez made it through to the final of the Copa Argentina, this meant there was a fixture clash and thus the Argentine FA decided to rearrange Velez's Superliga match to the 22/11. This would be fine if the players didn't get back from international duty on the 20th or have to play the final of the Copa Libertadores on the 24th. Nonetheless after drawing 0-0 with a very rotated squad the final awaited.

Only one non Brazilian side had reached the final in the last decade and that was Velez in 2022 when they went on to lift the trophy.

The game was actually very dull, you could probably have guessed the first half ended 0-0 with not many chanceas. The game was well balanced without either keeper needing to make a save. That was until the 72nd minute Alexis Alessio manaegd to pinch the ball on the halfway line, beat one man before knocking it past another, he was clean through on goal with the keeper at his mercy. GOOOOOOOAALLLLLLLLL!!!!! Alessio smashes it into the roof of the net. 1-0. Time ticks ever so slowly down. Corner, ex Velez man Alba whips it in but the keeper saves the header from 12 yards. And the ref blows for full time shortly after.

Scott has spent the best part of 8 seasons managing in South America but he finally has the Copa Libertadores medal in his collection

Fixture List