The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick Update for me on 5 December, 2019: 

Expected to "bravely fight against relegation" in League One with Stevenage, I led the club to 28 points through 20 matches, and Stevenage sit 12th at that point.  I had rumours surrounding me, and had applied to two clubs, but I'll now be taking over in the Sky Bet Championship at...

Preston_North_End_FC_logo.png.0b12be05b2241c080e16179460f706a4.png

North End are currently just outside of the relegation zone in of the Championship in 21st with 26 matches to go.  I'm just coming in hoping to secure safety and begin instilling my philosophy on the club, and hopefully establish a platform to overachieve next season and continue to up my reputation.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I just left Liverpool and took over at the club I support in real life Man Utd so I am happy with that.

Jammy so an so :), I was wanting the Man Utd job too but Boreinho...err I mean Mourinho, signed an extension and he's now retiring at the end of the current season which will render the vacancy pointless if I manage to win the league with Arsenal.

2038/39 –Manchester City

240px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png

Manager Profile – Fixtures 1 – Fixtures 2 – Fixtures 3
Competitions – Player Stats – Transfers

I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with FM as I've been this season. It resulted in a week where I just refused to open Football Manager because I was sick of everything going against me, but now I'm finally ready to move on. We finish 4th in the league, 3 pts. behind Arsenal in 2nd place and Liverpool in 3rd place, but 17(!) pts behind an unstoppable Chelsea team still managed by Antonio Conte. We play well most games, but we have too many of those days where nothing really works out. With a 4-0 win over Liverpool and 5-0 over Arsenal I think we show that we really have something going on here, but losing to teams like Swansea and Newcastle and drawing against several other lower-half teams is just not going to get us to the title. In the end we probably would have fell short of Chelsea anyways, but we really should have gotten the 2nd place this year…

Even though it annoys me to only get 4th in the league, the cups are what really annoys me. In the Carabao (League) Cup we deserved to lose against Arsenal in the qtr. final, but we deserved far more from the FA Cup and Europa League. Played 0-0 against Derby in 5th round of FA Cup after dominating the match, before we delivered an awful penalty shootout to knock us out.
Getting knocked out of Europa League was even worse, given that we have two matches to pull through. But after firing 37 shots (with 13 hitting target) we only manage to get 1(!) goal against my former club Bordeaux. When they also score on one of their two shots on target (4 in total) over 2 games, and this happens at our stadium, we got knocked out on away goals. I was furious as the board expected us to win the cup and we went out to a team that barely created anything…

I have now 1 year left in my contract with Man. City and will give the Premier League one go here. I hope to get a better transfer window next season, as the board reduced the budget with over £70M before the January window this season, destroying my hopes on getting a new face or two in. Feel we look good defensively, but might need a DM, AMC and/or STC.

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                        Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers        Hong Kong Premier League      6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International    Singaporean League            6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International    Singaporean League            1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup
2020      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               Unemployed
2021      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2022      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          10th       3rd round                N/A               Continental C-license, expected last in league, 3rd best in 2nd half of the season
2023      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                N/A               Continental B-license, expected last in league, qualified for ACL
2024	  Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                Qtr. Final        Continental A-license, qualified for ACL
2025      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          2nd        2nd                      1st               4th in CWC, won Chinese Super League Fair Play award
2026      Bahia                    Brazilian National 1st div.   N/A        5th round                N/A               Won the Bahia State, sacked after 4 league games
2027      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   15th       N/A                      N/A               Took over in 19th, barely avoided relegation
2028      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   11th       Qtr. final               N/A               Top half finish, 3rd round of Copa Sudamericana
2029      SC Internacional         Brazilian National 1st div.   2nd        4th round                N/A               Semi final of Copa Sudamericana, Qualified for Copa Libertadores
2030      Internacional            Brazilian National 1st div.   2nd        5th round                1st               3rd in CWC
2031      New York City FC         Major League Soccer           N/A        N/A                      Qtr. Final        Resigned in March, 0 pts  in 3 league games. Things just did not work
2031/32   Girondins de Bordeaux    Ligue 1 Conforama             10th       1st/10th round           N/A               Knocked out of group stage of and qualified for next seasons Europa League
2032/33   FC Internazionale        Serie A                       1st        1st round                N/A               Italian league!
2033/34   FC Internazionale        Serie A                       2nd        1st                      Group stage       Italian cup! Qtr final of Europa League
2034/35   N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2035/36   FC Schalke 04            Bundesliga                    12th       Semi final               N/A               Took over 11th after 21 games
2036/37   FC Schalke 04            Bundesliga                    6th        3rd round                N/A               Qualified for Europa League
2037/38   Manchester City          English Premier League        6th        1st                      N/A               Left Schalke halfway through, took over in March, FA Cup and Europa League qualification
2038/39   Manchester City          English Premier League        4th        5th round/Qtr. final     N/A               CL qualification, Qtr. final of Europa League

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        Continental Tournament   World Tournament   Notes
2020     Iraq          N/A                      N/A                
2021     Iraq          N/A                      N/A                
2022     New Zealand   N/A                      N/A                
2023     Mexico        1st                      N/A                Won the Gold Cup
2026     Nigeria       N/A                      N/A                Qualified for ACON
2027     Nigeria       1st                      N/A                Won the ACON
2030     Australia     N/A                      N/A                
2031     Australia     2nd                      N/A                Lost final of Nations Cup on extra time
2032     Australia     N/A                      N/A
2033     Australia     N/A                      Group stage        Knocked out in group stage of Confederations Cup
2035     Brazil        1st                      N/A                Won Copa América
2036     Brazil        N/A                      N/A
2037     Brazil        N/A                      3rd                Sacked after the Confederations Cup

Challenge Progress (12/33)
Club
2/10 top domestic leagues (Geylang Int., SIN; FC Internazionale, ITA;)
5/10 domestic cups (HK Rangers, HKG; Geylang Int., SIN; Gd Bordeaux, FRA; FC Internazionale, ITA; Manchester City, ENG;)
2/5 club continental championships (Shijiazhuang Yongchang, CHN; SC Internacional, BRA;)
0/1 club world championship ()

International
3/5 continental tournaments (Gold Cup, MEX; African Cup of Nations, NIG; Copa América, BRA; )
0/2 world tournaments ()

Trophies:

Spoiler

Season     Team/Nation                Trohpy
2018       Hong Kong Rangers          Hong Kong League Cup
2018       Hong Kong Rangers          Hong Kong Sapling Cup
2018       Geylang International      Singaporean League Cup
2019       Geylang International      Singaporean League Cup
2020       Geylang International      Singaporean League
2023       Mexico                     North American Gold Cup
2025       Shijiazhuang Yongchang     Asian Champions League
2026       Shijiazhuang Yongchang     Chinese FA Super Cup
2026       Bahia                      Brazilian Bahia State Championship
2027       Nigeria                    African Cup of Nations
2029       SC Internacional           Brazilian Gaúcho State Championship
2030       SC Internacional           Brazilian Gaúcho State Championship
2030       SC Internacional           Copa Libertadores
2032       Girondins de Bordeaux      Coupe de la Ligue
2033       FC Internazionale          Serie A
2034       FC Internazionale          Italian Cup
2035       Brazil                     Copa América
2038       Manchester City            English FA Cup

Vikeologist's 2038 World Cup (and new jobs) Report 

Image result for brazil hubris

Not really feeling confident about this tournament with Brazil. I’m worried that I’ve brought in too many new players. 10 of my squad have less than 10 caps, 5 were  uncapped before our warm up match against Spain, but my core is still there, especially my old club strikers Amauri and Sidney up front.

We’re ranked #1 in the world, but again the FA only demand that we make it to the semi-finals. It’s nice having a humble FA as my employer. I'm just worried they know something I don’t.

This will be my final tournament with Brazil whatever happens though. It’s all or nothing.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Brazil  4-0     Jamaica

Brazil  10-1   Ghana – Scary when African champions Ghana took and early lead, but we punished them for their impertinence.

Brazil  4-0     Belgium

If we'd scored just one more goal against Belgium, Jamaica would have progressed instead of them.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil  1-0     Ukraine

This was a pretty appalling performance by the strikers, and it could have gone badly wrong had Ukraine converted a penalty after 16 minutes with the score at 0-0. We dominated the match, but let’s hope this was a one-off. Next up is Australia who very surprisingly knocked out Holland, sure one of the pre-tournament favourites, in the previous round.

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil 4-0      Australia

A very comfortable victory, but now things start getting more tough. Next up is Spain who we lost toon penalties in our World Cup warmup match, although that was far from our first choice team. I’d go so far as to say that this is going to be the real World Cup Final.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil 2-1     Spain

This was a tough match. Sidney scored a wonderful opening goal, but one of the Spanish players scored a late goal that was breath-taking as he dribbled around half our team before putting it away. luckily for us it was too little, too late.

Oh come on, as soon as I called this the real World Cup Final, you knew our destiny would be to lose in the final, probably against Belgium who we were one goal away from knocking out in the group stages, and who have inexplicably made it to the other semi.

I've just checked and they’ve already made it to the final! Based on our group match, this shouldn’t even be a contest. They edged past Jamaica on goal difference for God’s sake. If we lose this, it will just be ridiculous.

But it’s happened before. In my FM15 save, I’d won everything with Holland, the undisputed champions of the world; European Championship, World Cup. All I needed was to win the Confederations Cup, and in the final we faced a team I’d crushed in the group stage, and we lost.

3rd Place Playoff / Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil  3-0     Belgium

It wasn’t as easy as I would have liked. In the first half Belgium didn’t have a single shot on or off our goal, but we still went in at 0-0. My stress level was off the chart, but in the second half our relentless pressure broke them down. It was completely one-sided though.

After The Tournament

Spoiler

This probably won’t surprise you, given that I’ve now won 3 trophies with Brazil, but I’m very sad to leave. 2 of my strikers Sidney and Amauri have been huge parts of my successes over the last 4 years or so, at both club and international level. Sidney won the Golden Boot with 12 goals.

44 matches, W41, D1, L2, and one of those defeats was the meaningless penalty shootout loss to Spain I mentioned earlier.

Goals For 182, Against 20.

But I have to go.

Where to next? I’ve been offered the jobs at Ghana and Holland, and as I’m writing this I’ve taken time away from the game as I can’t decide. They’re both good jobs with players that suit me. I suppose I’m leaning towards Ghana as their next major competition (ACON) is one year away instead of two.

I also had to decide between two club jobs, though I was only actually offered one of them, (because most of the leagues never actually seem to appoint managers which was the cause of me not having a club job for about 20 months).

Luckily I was offered the job I wanted. I applied for a job at Carmarthen. Now there’s a bit of challenge history there, and in particular a history of challengers completing the challenge, but only after they’ve made a complete dog’s ear of managing one of my favourite clubs. I believe Ronaldo Beckham did it with Hibs, and The Earl did it a few years ago with Carmarthen Town in Wales. (I appreciate that Ronaldo maybe didn’t identify anything less than speedy world domination as a problem, because he took account of meaningless factors such as Hibs’ history and results).

Of course, this is a 2-way street, and I apologise to any Norwegians, Belgians, Colombians, Argentinians, Koreans and pretty much every single nation in Africa for my own dogs’ ears, and that’s just in this challenge attempt.

I didn’t take the opportunity to avenge Hibs in Scotland in my last job. I was tempted to right the wrongs with Carmarthen, but I was offered the job at FC Porto, and let’s be honest, I just want to get the club side of things out of the way quickly. My heart said Carmarthen, my head said FCP, and in this challenge you should always go with your head. (I bet I flop there now).

I took over just before the World Cup semi-final, and I was not up for the hassle of a new club before one of the most important matches of my career, so did as little as possible in the first few days. In fact the key is to do as little as possible long-term. No fiddling around, just win a cup and go.

Spoiler

Domestic
Season	Team				Position	Notes										
17	Shanghai Shenxin (China)	9th		Took over with 5 matches left, and didn't win any of them. 
18	Shanghai Shenxin		2nd		Promoted
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
20	Hebei China Fortune		3rd		Won FA Cup									
21	Hebei China Fortune		1st		League, Cup, Champions League treble						
21/2	Ajax CT (South Africa)		5th		Took over with 8 matches left, missed out on Confed Cup qual by 1 point.
22/3	Ajax CT				1st		Won African Champions League. League, KO Cup and FA Cup quadruple. Unbeaten in league.
23/4(O)	Chivas (Mexico)			1st		Lost in League final. Won the Mexican Cup.
23/4(C)	Chivas				1st		League / NACL double.
24	Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)	2nd		Took over half way through season. Won Closing Stage and First Division Playoff. Lost Championship Playoff.
25	Defensor Sporting		1st		Won Opening and Closing Stages and Intermedio (cup). Unbeaten domestically. 
27/8	Bordeaux (France)		2nd		Won Coupe de la Ligue, French Cup and Europa League.
28/9	Bordeaux			1st		League and both domestic cups. Champions League Q/F
29/30	Juventus (Italy)		1st		Took over with 15 matches remaining. Made up 9 points to win league in last day of season title decider.
30	Flamengo (Brazil)		1st		Took over 9 matches into the season. League, Libertadores double. Lost CWC in extra time.
31/2	Red Bull Leipzig (Germany)	1st		League / Champions League final. Yet another cup final defeat.
32/3	Red Bull Leipzig		1st		Won Club World Cup 3-2 from 2-0 down at halftime. Finally won another domestic (German) cup.
33/4	Chelsea	(England)		3rd		Won FA Cup. Lost in Champions League final for second season in a row.
34/5	Chelsea				1st		League, FA Cup and Champions League treble.
35/6	Barcelona (Spain)		1st		League / Cup / Champions League treble.
36/7	Rangers (Scotland)		n/a		114 days. 1 League Cup.
38/9	FC Porto (Portugal)

International
Year	Team				Achievements
18	China U23			Won Asian Games.
19	Norway				Left after 4 matches of Euro Qualifying.
19-20	Ghana				Left after 2 matches of African Cup Qualifying
20	Belgium				Sacked after leading the #1 team in the world to 1 draw and 3 defeats
21-22	Ivory Coast			Qualified for World Cup and reached second round, won CHAN.
22-23	Mexico				Won Gold Cup, reached Copa America semi with B team.
24-25	Ivory Coast			ACON semifinals
25-26	Ghana				Failed to progress past World Cup group stage
26-27	South Korea			Lost in Q/F of Asian Cup
27-29	Ghana				ACON quarter finals.
30-31	Argentina			Copa America Q/F
31-32	Colombia			Left them on top of WC Qualifying group
32-34	Italy				Confederations Cup winners. Lost in World Cup S/F and sacked.
34-38	Brazil				2035 Copa America, 2037 Confederations Cup, 2038 World Cup

Challenge Progress 29/33

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Italy, Brazil, Germany, England, Spain)		
 9/10 domestic cups 			(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Germany, England, Spain, Scotland)						
 5/5 club continental championships	(Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe) 	
 1/1 club world championship

International
 2/5 continental tournaments 		(N America, S America)	
 2/2 world tournaments 			(World Cup, Confederations Cup)

Arsenal
Premier League
2033/2034

AC Milan's replacenment after I departed was Arsenal manager Marcelino who had guided the Gunners to a league and champions league double so I jumped at the opportunity as Mourinho had extended his stay at Old Trafford for another year.
It was a long season with us playing 67 games in all competitions, starting with the Community Shield and a 2-0 victory against Man City.  That was followed by a meeting of my old club AC Milan in the European Super Cup which we lost on penalties after a 2-2 draw.
The league campaign started off well with us not dropping any points until October and a 0-0 draw with Burnley.  We didn't drop any more points until the turn of the year when we drew with Preston and Aston Villa in January and from then on our league form was inconsistant compared to what I've been used to for the past few seasons at other clubs.  In Feb/March we went a period of 4 league games without a win which kept the chasing pack in touch with us although we had a couple of games in hand.  Indeed it seemed that the cup exploits disrupted our league form as such that the league title wasn't secured until the final day with a 2-0 win against Man City.  It's been the closest title race I've had for a while and certainly enjoyable even if it's been frustrating at times.
The league cup was fairly straight forward with comfortable wins against lesser opposition until a final against Everton in a tightly contested game, we took the lead in the 71st min only for Everton to equalise in the 84th and as it was heading for extra time we grabbed the winner in 93rd min.
The FA Cup was more competative with us facing Man Utd, Tottenham and Newcastle en route to a final against Liverpool and a comfortable 2-0 win with both goals coming in the second half.
The Champions League saw us progress from the group in 2nd place behind Marseille and ahead of Roma and FC Kobenhavn.  We edged the first knockout round against a Monaco team still bursting with world class talent with two 2-1 wins.  The quarter-final against Man City saw us loose the first leg away 2-1 before we were able to turn it around in the home tie winning 3-0.  The semi-final was against City's big brother Man Utd, a 1-1 draw at home in the first leg set up a tense and nervy second at Old Trafford.  We took the lead in the 37th min and then hung on for dear life (Mourinho himself would have been proud) and even had a scare when Utd put the ball in the back of the net late on only for the goal to be disallowed.  The result set a final against French giants PSG in Berlin's Olympiastadion.  With the first team rested for a week after the FA Cup final we raced into a 2-0 lead by the 20th min.  PSG pulled one back before the break but we secured the successful defense of the trophy on the 70th min to to win 3-1.
The Club World Cup saw us defeat Egyptian side Zamalek 2-0 to set up a final against Santos.  The final was an even game with Santos edging it but neither team could find the break through and we secured my 3rd Club World Cup 4-2 on penalties.

With the big 5 european leagues done with I'm left with 1 league and 2 cups on the club side of things.  Internationally there's just the Copa América and the World Cup.  My plan was from the start was to finish off in Argentina as my manager makes his way home after building his career all around the world.  But as always there's a spanner in the works as the River Plate job is currently available which would be a great job to head home to although I would prefer Boca and thier manager is currently insecure...There's also the CF América job available in Mexico which would give me a chance at a cup before heading home...choices, choices.  I could also load up another league to see what that throws up, with the World Cup this year I've got another 4 seasons at least of this challenge to go...unless someone leaves before it starts.

Challenge Progress:

Spoiler

9/10 top domestic leagues (CHI, BRA, RSA, USA, FRA, GER, ESP, ITA, ENG)
8/10 domestic cups (CHI, BRA, RSA, FRA, GER, ESP, ITA, ENG)
5/5 club continental championships (ACL-Wuhan 2020, LIB-Sao Paulo 2022, CAFCL-Ajax CT 2025, NACL-New York RB 2027, UCL-Lyon 2029, UCL-Real Madrid 2032, UCL-Arsenal 2034)
1/1 club world championship (Sao Paulo 2022, Lyon 2029, Arsenal 2034)

International
4/5 continental tournaments (MAR 2023, KOR 2027, ITA 2032, MEX 2033)
1/2 world tournaments (ITA-CONF-2033)

Seasons:

Spoiler

CLUB CAREER
							Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club			Division	1st	2nd	1st	2nd		Cont.		CWC	Other & Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017	CHI	Wuhan			CNFD		5th								Joined in 9th place after 13 games and out of cups
2018	CHI	Whuan			CNFD		1st		Qtr						Promoted as champions
2019	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win						League & Cup double.
2020	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win			Win			Trebble Winners (+domestic super cup)
2021	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		3rd		Qtr						Joined in 17th after 11 games.
2022	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		1st		Win			Win		Win	Quadruple
2022/23	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		7th		n/a	Win					Nedbank Cup win
2023/24	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		2rnd	Final					League Champions
2024/25	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		Semi	Win		Win			CAF Confederation Cup, League Champions, MTN 8 Cup, Telkom Knockout Cup, CAF Super Cup
2025/26	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st*					Win			CAF Champions League, *resigned after 7 league games in 1st place and a game in hand.
2026	USA	New York RB		MLS		1st								MLS Cup & MLS Supporters Shield winners
2027	USA	New York RB		MLS		12th					Win			NACL
2027/28	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		3rd		10rnd	Semi
2028/29	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		2nd		Semi	Win		Win			UEFA CL & League Cup winners
2029/30	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		1st		Win					Win	League & FA Cup & Club World Cup
2030/31	GER	Bayern Munich		BL		1st		Win						League & Cup double
2031/32	ESP	Real Madrid		L1		1st		Win			Win			League, Cup & ECL treble
2032/33	ITA	AC Milan		SA		1st		Win			Win			League, Cup & EL trebble
2033/34	ENG	Arsenal			EPL		1st		Win	Win		Win		Win	Clean sweep bar the Euro Super Cup.

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
			Rank		Cups
Year	Nation		FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes
2020	Serbia		21st
2021	Serbia		33rd					Failed to Qualify for World Cup
2022	Morocco		15th					Won African Nations Championship
2023	Morocco		18th			Win		Won African Cup of Nations
2025	South Korea	50th					Won East Asia Cup
2026	South Korea	44th					3rd in World Cup group
2027	South Korea	31st			Win		Won the Asian Cup
2030/31	Italy		2nd					Semi-final of Nations League and some friendlies
2031/32	Italy		1st			Win		Won European Championships
2032/33	Italy		1st	Win			Win	Won Confederations Cup and Nations League
2033	Mexico		15th			Win		Won Gold Cup
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAREER UPDATE

I managed to win the Premiership with Man Utd by 4 goals, I had the same amount of points as Chelsea but had a better goal difference, so lucky. 

Anyway I have ticked the Prem off my list. I applied for the PSG and Bayern jobs but they rejected me, it is started to annoy me that big clubs rejecting me.

I have applied for a few Scottish Prem sides like Celtic, Rangers and Hibs as I just want to try win a league and cup double with them to tick off ma few more achievements.

Challenge Progress

Club

6/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, 
4/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup
3/5 club continental championships - North American Champions League, Asian Champions League, UEFA Champions League,
0/1 club world championship

International

4/5 continental tournaments - Copa America, Euros, African Cup Of Nations, Gold Cup,
2/2 world tournaments - World Cup, Confederations Cup,

Man Utd End Of Season.png

Premiership.png

CAREER UPDATE

I got the job at Monaco in the end, I holidayed most of the season as I just want to hurry up and complete this challenge now lol. I managed to win the French League but no cups which is annoying.

I am planning to get a German league job now and try get that final league in the top 5 leagues out the way.

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, French Ligue 1, 
4/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup
3/5 club continental championships - North American Champions League, Asian Champions League, UEFA Champions League,

International

4/5 continental tournaments - Copa America, Euros, African Cup Of Nations, Gold Cup,

French League.png

Monaco End Of Season.png

Vikeologist's TL;DR Porto and Ghana Report 

(or A Tale of 2 Cities Part 2 - It was the best of times; it was the worst of times

or Mighty Oafs from little ACONs rise)

An advantage of Portugal is that they have 2 domestic cups, and the first finished fairly early, meaning that ideally I could take less than a full season.

That’s exactly how it turned out. I won the Portuguese League Cup with Porto, and I have completed the club side of the challenge.

I’m not sure I ever did ‘do a vike’ in this challenge, and it’s very unlikely the chance will arise with a nation.

Almost 5 seasons ago I finished 3d in the league with Chelsea and then shortly afterwards lost in the World Cup semi-final.

Since then I have won every single competition I needed to win for the challenge, (and most of the ones I didn’t). I mean it’s only the last 6, (instead of the, I believe, 32 out of 33 competitions that someone else won first time of asking), but I realise that it must look a bit suspicious.

I can assure you that there were various times when failure really stared me in the face. Ok, not in the leagues which I’d usually won before people took their Christmas trees down, but I’ve had some really hairy moments in the cups.

And no victory was more razor thin than this last one.

My Porto record going into the final was 30 wins, 4 draws and absolutely no defeats, so we were definitely the favourites, but after 90 minutes the score was 2-2, and with no extra time, it was straight on to penalties, which we did win.

In fact, it might be more stressful knowing that you should win a cup, and then watching unbelieving as the opposition scores a wonder goal, or you finish the first half with over 30 shots on goal against their none, but with the score still 0-0.

But actually the most stressful part was the bug in the game where clubs don’t appoint managers. Carmarthen never did get back to me on my application, and no Welsh or Korean (the other 2 leagues I have loaded) clubs have appointed or sacked managers. Still, it doesn’t matter now. I’m just glad this didn’t happen earlier.

Anyway, now I can get out my golf clubs, and holiday between international selections.

The 2039 ACON with Ghana.. As I’ve mentioned, this is my 4th time managing them in this save, and I have quit all 3 previous times, twice for a ‘better’ job where I failed to win anything. In between my abortive reigns, Ghana have actually won the ACON twice.

I of course have failed to win the ACON the last 10, count them, 10 times I have tried in this challenge, admittedly not all in this save. There’s several FM versions of failure there.

So you have a situation where I succeed without fail versus my stunning record of ACON failure. A manager who can’t lose and a tournament he can’t win.

I was last here 8 years ago, and I was managing Ghana then as well, but this time we’re the highest ranked side in Africa. Only just though. There’s a lot of teams that could win this.

15 of our 23 man squad are 31 or over, and there’s absolutely no good young players coming through, so win or lose, I will be quitting Ghana for the 4th time after the tournament.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ghana          4-1     Cameroon

A disastrous start to the tournament for us. Not the result, but the fact that 3 of our best players went off injured and will be out for 2 weeks, 3 weeks and the rest of the tournament.

Ghana          4-1     Burkino Faso

Ghana          8-0     Liberia

Thankfully we got through the rest of the group stage without any more injuries. Our first choice goalie until recently scored a lovely header in the Liberia match playing as a striker.

Tunisia next, which is not the easiest match we could have had.

Spoiler

Ghana          2-0     Tunisia

And our tough draw continues with Nigeria, (I think our main competition for the cup) in the quarterfinals. The top 4 teams are all in the same half of the draw, which is seriously lopsided.

2 players suspended, and 1 still to come back from injury, (though he’s fit enough to sit on the bench in case I need him to take a penalty). Could have done with this matchup later in the competition. With 33 goals scored by Nigeria and us so far, this match should have a few goals in it.

Spoiler

Ghana          3-0     Nigeria

I’m delighted to get this win. We had our 3 goals after 50 minutes, and then I just shut up shop for the rest of the match. Nigeria were far too dangerous to mess about with.

Still it says something about my history with this competition that I’m already trying to decide whether I want the Nigeria or Ivory Coast job when I inevitably fail in one of the next 2 matches.

If I do get to the final;, I will once again face a team I thrashed in the group stage; in this case Cameroon, who finished 3rd and have somehow limped their way to the final while we were facing all the best teams.

Spoiler

Ghana          1-3     Moroco

We were 1-0 down at half time. When we equalised I thought we might be ok, but no. Will this curse ever end?

Spoiler

Ghana          5-1     Mali

After The Tournament

Spoiler

So there we are; 11 failed ACONs in a row now.

Decided that Nigeria was the best job available. They have a fantastic goalie, although he’s 32 now. He better not retire from international football. The whole squad looks good though. Better than Ghana’s, I’d say.

Already in the middle of the 2040 ChAN, so now that I'm not slowed down by domestic football, the updates should come thick and fast.

Domestic
17	Shanghai Shenxin (China)	9th		Took over with 5 matches left, and didn't win any of them. 
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
21/2	Ajax CT (South Africa)		5th		Took over with 8 matches left, missed out on Confed Cup qual by 1 point.
22/3	Ajax CT				1st		Won African Champions League. League, KO Cup and FA Cup quadruple. Unbeaten in league.
24	Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)	2nd		Took over half way through season. Won Closing Stage and First Division Playoff. Lost Championship Playoff.
25	Defensor Sporting		1st		Won Opening and Closing Stages and Intermedio (cup). Unbeaten domestically. 
27/8	Bordeaux (France)		2nd		Won Coupe de la Ligue, French Cup and Europa League.
29/30	Juventus (Italy)		1st		Took over with 15 matches remaining. Made up 9 points to win league in last day of season title decider.
30	Flamengo (Brazil)		1st		Took over 9 matches into the season. League, Libertadores double. Lost CWC in extra time.
31/2	Red Bull Leipzig (Germany)	1st		League / Champions League final. Yet another cup final defeat.
32/3	Red Bull Leipzig		1st		Won Club World Cup 3-2 from 2-0 down at halftime. Finally won another domestic (German) cup.
33/4	Chelsea	(England)		3rd		Won FA Cup. Lost in Champions League final for second season in a row.
38/9	FC Porto (Portugal)		n/a		Another League Cup. End of the club side of the challenge.

International
20	Belgium				Sacked after leading the #1 team in the world to 1 draw and 3 defeats
38-39	Ghana				ACON S/F
39- 	Nigeria

Challenge Progress 30/33

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Italy, Brazil, Germany, England, Spain)		
 10/10 domestic cups 			(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Germany, England, Spain, Scotland, Portugal)						
 5/5 club continental championships	(Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe) 	

International
 2/5 continental tournaments 		(N America, S America)	

Edited by vikeologist

@Ronaldo Beckham It's not unusual to want to get this challenge out of the way. That's definitely the way I feel now, and it's the way I felt two and a half years ago. I think most people find that it starts out enjoyable, but by the end it's just an ordeal. Have you so quickly forgotten your last challenge completion? It's bad that you feel that way with 13 trophies left. Have you thought of taking a break. I've broken up the challenge with a Youth Challenge; (I have a son; he's useless), and in FM15 I broke it up spending (about) 7 seasons at Newcastle developing the club.

@yugular  Always nice to hear from you. Look forward to your next update.

@blackdevil As per my challenge, Portugal and Scotland are good places for making up cups, because there's no of them, and the first comes relatively early in the season. Actually I think Mexico might be quite a bad place. As you identify, there's 2 cups a year, but if you're successful, you're not going to be in the second cup, or ever again.

Yeah @vikeologist I have thought about taking a break from it but I just don't like leaving things left, I like to just complete it. 

It's not really boring, I do enjoy doing it, I just get annoyed how many extra seasons I am having to do lol, but onwards and upwards.

I just got the RBL job so hoping to do a German double with that and then I am thinking of heading off to South America to try win the South American version of the Champions League.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah @vikeologist I have thought about taking a break from it but I just don't like leaving things left, I like to just complete it. 

It's not really boring, I do enjoy doing it, I just get annoyed how many extra seasons I am having to do lol, but onwards and upwards.

I just got the RBL job so hoping to do a German double with that and then I am thinking of heading off to South America to try win the South American version of the Champions League.

Yes, you could be the first to take longer to complete it the second time. Ok, so you'd only be the second person to do the double at the moment and I only have 35 seasons to finally win the ACON (plus the other 2 trophies) to beat my first attempt, so you may not be the only one.

I hadn't realised that of the 4 people likely to complete in the nearish future, 3 of us have completed it before.

We need an intervention. 

@vikeologist Congrats on finishing off the club side of things :applause: I've not progressed since resigning from Arsenal as I wasn't sure if I should load another European league or go to Mexico.  Knowing my luck I'd pick a team not in the cups.  Might follow your advice and load up Portugal for their two cups although no guarantee of a job becoming available but it's a more consistent participation of teams...and they're the 6th ranked league in my save so might be nice to add to the collection.

Edited by blackdevil

CAREER UPDATE

I finally won the German Bundesliga and ticked off the last of the 5 major leagues, I just got 2 leagues to go now and annoyingly 6 more cups to get, 2 Champions Leagues to get, 1 Club World Cup and the Asian Nations cup.

I will get there eventually lol.

Challenge Progress

Club

8/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga, 

International

German League Title.png

2019/20 Season Update

stevenagefc.png.cd610dfe5f9ff7137565a14650ad01b3.pngAndPreston_North_End_FC_logo.png.932c31f36fab82d25beb9a797bf4a191.png

Stevenage F.C. / Preston North End F.C.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I was hired into the Sky Bet Championship at Preston North End after twenty matches and a solid position in League One for The Boro.

Our mission at Preston, through my own doing, was a mid-table finish, after taking over with 25 matches to play -- and with the side 21st in the Championship table!  We came up just short of what they consider mid-table, dragging a fairly bloated side to easy survival, but with the interview questions I was asked, I felt I needed the higher expectations to seal the job. 

Mid-table was chock full of quality sides, though, so it was a tough fight all along, and we were a bit disappointed to finish where we did.  It was good enough, though -- we're in a Championship job, and one with either a platform to win up to actual Challenge trophy level, or a platform to get us into a bigger job.

I'm not going to get into too many details, as what is there really to tell about an 18th-placed side in the Championship other than "we survived?" :) We did get the board to allow us to begin our Continental Badges, and I am now a Continental C license-holder, and training toward my Continental B -- which means I'm not completely useless in training anymore!  I can coach, dammit! :D  

The board did also spring for youth facilities, which are definitely needed, and they upped the Junior Coaching and Youth Recruitment levels once.  I haven't gotten the option again yet, but you know I'll be asking for those immediately, they're the most important things to building a self-sufficient club!  I've gotten some great young signings in, and at least one very solid looking youth in the last intake, probably "Leading Championship Player" level at DL/AML.

I'm just going to keep improving all the fundamentals and hiring more staff in... who knows, maybe Preston is my English breakthrough and then we'll be off with that mega reputation?  Time will tell!  See you next season!

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season            Team                          League                    Position         Domestic Cups            Continental Cup               Notes
2017/18        Tamworth F.C.         Vanarama North            7th (P)                                                                                  Progressed to National A License
2018/19        Steveange F.C.        Sky Bet League 2            1st                                                                                       League Two Manager of the Year
2019***        Stevenage F.C.        Sky Bet League 1            (12th)                                                                                   Joined PNE - Club in 12th on departure
2019/20    Preston North End   Sky Bet Championship       18th                                                                                     Raised club to safety in 18th from 21st

Small Update

I finally got a job with an Asian national team and I am now the manager of China, I am currently playing through the Asian cup and should win that hopefully as the other nations are quite weak.

I also have took over as Benfica manager to try tick off another league and cup off  the challenge.

CAREER UPDATE

I finally won my last International tournament and won the Asian Nations Cup with China, at last lol.

I also won the treble with Benfica winning the league, league cup and the other domestic cup.

All in all a good season for advancing in the challenge.

My aim is to either go to South America and get a top team job there, try win the league, cup and South American Champions League within 2 seasons there, or go to South Africa and try win the league, get a cup win and also win the African Champions League if possible.

Challenge Progress

Club

9/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga,  Portuguese League, 
5/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup, Portugal League Cup, 

International

5/5 continental tournaments - Copa America, Euros, African Cup Of Nations, Gold Cup, Asian Nations Cup,

@Ronaldo Beckham I'm becoming worried for you.  Your remaining landmarks don't line up very well. 

You're going to end up with loads of leagues, and not enough cups. Of course, you'll end up with enough cups eventually.

Logically you're now going to have to win the Club World Cup with a S American (or S African) side, because you probably won't win the European Champions League again. 

You might be in S Africa for a long time, although I guess the fact that you really won't need to win the S African league may be a blessing there.

I'm envious of your Asian Cup though.

@jaysdailydose Like you, I like improving the clubs I'm at, but do bear in mind that it's a waste of time in this challenge. You need to think of yourself as a strip miner, fracking away a club's natural trophy resources, and then leaving it a barely operational husk full of over-paid 1st team pensioners.

4 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

You need to think of yourself as a strip miner, fracking away a club's natural trophy resources, and then leaving it a barely operational husk full of over-paid 1st team pensioners.

Or imitating Jose Mourinho :)

Vikeologist's 2041Nigeria ACON Report 

Image result for lucky 12

Attempt number 12.

I think this Nigeria team is probably the best I’ve taken to the ACON, at least in this save, but as I’ve demonstrated so many times, it’s a bit of a lottery.

I have noticed that the youngest Ghanaian footballer is 22, so regens aren’t coming through. If I don’t win the ACON soon it’s going to turn into a veterans’ tournament. It’s not just Nigeria. No African U20 side has a single player in the squad.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Nigeria          3-0     Ivory Coast

Nigeria          3-0     Zambia

Nigeria          4-0     Benin

Well, that’s the non-stressful part of the tournament over, (although to tell the absolute truth, I’m not exactly stressed about our match up with Mozambique in the next round), and this time I’m leaving the group stage without any injuries.

Spoiler

Nigeria          4-1     Mozambique

A lot of teams have to find ways to alleviate the boredom for their players at major tournaments. The only difference is that we have to stop them being bored during matches.

Anyway, playtime is over now.

Next up I was expecting the chance to get revenge over the reigning champs, Morocco, who stole my ACON trophy my last time with Ghana, but they were surprisingly on penalties by Senegal in the second round. According to rankings, we’re the 2 best teams left in the tournament.

Spoiler

Nigeria          p2-2   Senegal

This was on the way to being a comfortable 2-0 victory with 15 minutes left, when they scored twice in 3 minutes, and then defended for the rest of the match. When they scored their first penalty, and we missed our first, I thought it was all about to go wrong again, but they missed their next 3, we converted ours, and we were through.

The players must have read my comments after the 2nd round, because they really did switch off.

Hopefully that’s my one scare out of the way.

Next up is Guinea-Bissau, the new 2nd best team left in the tournament, who also needed penalties in the quarter final, and the epitome of a one-man team.

Spoiler

Nigeria          1-0     Guinea-Bissau

A very edgy match with few chances. We went ahead in the second half, but then had a player sent off. I shut up shop, and we’ve progressed.

And once again, a team that we beat easily in the group stage awaits us in the final. Ok, so last time we cocked up that storyline by losing in the semi, and thus missed out on what should have been an easy final.

This time the rematch is against Ivory Coast, the other African team that offered me a job after the last tournament.

I really can’t stress enough just how ridiculous it would be if we were to lose this final. I just can’t even think about it.

Oh, I forgot to mention. We not only beat them in the group stage, but we also beat them in the World Cup qualifying recently, although they scored a late goal to make our 2-1 victory look closer than it was.

Seriously, they stand no chance. They should just concede.

I’m really scared.

Spoiler

Nigeria          4-0     Ivory Coast

We were 3-0 after 24 minutes, and just contained them after that, with a late penalty tying a bow on it.

After The Tournament

Spoiler

The curse is finally over. I don’t think I ever want to take part in another ACON, ever.

No European or Asian jobs going, but anyway it’s 2041. The next Asian Cup is in 2043, and the European Championship the following year, so I guess I’m just going to have to keep an eye on the job vacancies.

Or just holiday until next years World Cup, because that’s when the vacancies are likely to come up.

Ideally though, I’d like to get a job in Asia first.

That’s not how it turned out though. I had to wait until after the 2042 World Cup. The only job I applied for was South Korea, but it seems they don’t want me. Holland, France and Portugal however offered me the jobs without my even applying, and Holland look extremely good, so I’m taking that job.

I am a bit worried at South Korea not offering me the job, because I will need to get an Asian job at some point. Perhaps they haven’t forgotten how badly I did when they did give me the job.

The China manager was sacked after the 2041 East Asian Cup, but the job wasn’t playable. I was able to add the Chinese league 4 days later, but by that time the job had already been filled.

Asia could be a problem.

Domestic
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
38/9	FC Porto (Portugal)		n/a		Another League Cup. End of the club side of the challenge.

International
38-39	Ghana				ACON S/F
39-41	Nigeria				ChAN and (at the 12th time of asking) ACON
44-	Holland

Challenge Progress 31/33

Club
 10/10 domestic cups 			(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France, Germany, England, Spain, Scotland, Portugal)						

International
 3/5 continental tournaments 		(N America, S America, Africa)	

Congrats on the ACON @vikeologist and good luck with Netherlands.

Minor update from myself, I've added the Portuguese league which when activated had most teams without a manager or any staff... I think it was only Benfica that had a manager.  So now I'm manager of FC Porto and after a poor showing in the World Cup I've also been appointed as Argentina manager.  Hopefully I can compete for the Copa America and then the World Cup.  *edt* And get the missing domestic league & cups, I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

Edited by blackdevil

7 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Ronaldo BeckhamBe

@jaysdailydose Like you, I like improving the clubs I'm at, but do bear in mind that it's a waste of time in this challenge. You need to think of yourself as a strip miner, fracking away a club's natural trophy resources, and then leaving it a barely operational husk full of over-paid 1st team pensioners.

That quote looks horrible as I'm on mobile and couldn't delete Ronaldo out for some reason, but I digress.

@vikeologist I fully agree with you, of course, but not at this early point.  I'm not sure how long I will have to stay at Preston with it being early on.  It could be multiple seasons, so the money raised from some quality youth sales, or the potential great player coming through make them worthwhile.  I mean, I only really want a Prem club if its a Big 6. Almost any other would be a waste of a move.  I'm pretty sure by the end of S4 and at worst S5 I'll be in the Prem with Preston, and at that point, any upward move outside of the Big 6 is essentially pointless.  

What I'm saying is Preston COULD wind up as one of my longest stays in the entire save, so improving them is important.  Especially with Jose and Antonio entrenched at United and Chelsea, Zidane just entering life at City, and a new manager at Liverpool.   Probably only two possibles in the Top 6 and one would be Arsenal, Sooooo...I may be here a while. ;)

15 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Ronaldo Beckham I'm becoming worried for you.  Your remaining landmarks don't line up very well. 

You're going to end up with loads of leagues, and not enough cups. Of course, you'll end up with enough cups eventually.

Logically you're now going to have to win the Club World Cup with a S American (or S African) side, because you probably won't win the European Champions League again. 

You might be in S Africa for a long time, although I guess the fact that you really won't need to win the S African league may be a blessing there.

I'm envious of your Asian Cup though.

Believe or not @vikeologist I have actually won the European Champions League 3 times so far in this career save, once with Ajax, once with Man Utd and once with Valencia.

I have come to terms with the fact it is going to take me a lot longer then I wanted to complete this challenge but I am just getting on with it.

CAREER UPDATE

I took the Dinamo Zagreb job to get an easy league and cup double out the way.

CAREER UPDATE 

I won the Croatian League and Cup double so ticking the achievements off nicely.

Challenge Progress

Club

10/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga,  Portuguese League,  Croatian League.
6/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup, Portugal League Cup, Croatian Cup, 

International

5/5 continental tournaments - Copa America, Euros, African Cup Of Nations, Gold Cup, Asian Nations Cup,

Croatia Cup.png

Croatia League Title.png

Vikeologist's 2044 Holland Euros Report

Image result for holland football

In contrast to the ACON, this is my first try at the Euros in this save, and for quite a few attempts at the challenge.

Another difference from recent tournaments is that we’re not the favourites. That would be Spain who won the World Cup 2 years ago, and beat us in the final of the Nations Cup. We scored an equaliser in the 93rd minute of normal time, but then unfortunately they scored a winner in the 94th.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Holland         6-0     Wales

Holland         6-1     Austria

Holland         3-2     Czech Republic

As soon as Spain lost and then drew their first couple of matches, I knew what would happen. They finished in 3rd place in their group, squeezed through with their 4 points, and now we have to face them in the next round. Fantastic!

Spoiler

Holland         1-0     Spain

Maybe this was the best time to meet Spain, but this was far from a comfortable victory. Crazy that the 2 of the best 3 sides in the world (my Old Brazil side are number 1) met this early, but it wasn’t our fault. We won our group matches.

Spoiler

Holland         1-2     Italy

We were 1-0 up with quarter of an hour to go, but they scored 2 in quick succession.

Spoiler

Spoiler

After The Tournament

Spoiler

I was sacked, something that hasn’t happened for a while. Obviously the Spain job became vacant, but I don’t want to manage the team for 4 years; 2 qualifying campaigns, a Confed and a Nations league before I get another crack at this landmark.

I’d really like to get an Asian job next. I have the Australia, Chinese and Korean leagues loaded, and they are the only nations manageable. It’s not just Asia. There’s hardly any regens emerging anywhere, and there are lots of ‘missing’ nations like USA, Mexico, Iran – even Argentina. The game is falling apart around me.

I've currently holidayed for 2 years up to the 2046 World Cup waiting for a job to become available.

Domestic
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	

International
38-39	Ghana				ACON S/F
44-46	Holland				Euro Q/F

Challenge Progress 31/33

Club

International

Edited by vikeologist

Vikeologist's 2047 China Asian Cup Report

There were European jobs available after the 2046 World Cup, but there are only 3 playable nations in Asia; China, Korea and Australia, whereas there are probably 10 European national jobs that could give me a chance of the Euros. Scotland might even be one of them, so if the opportunity comes up it will be interesting to see if my heart overrules my head.

Anyway, the only Asian manager sacked immediately after the World Cup was the Australian manager, but the Chinese job was on shaky ground, so I went aggressive, expressed an interest and they sacked him for me.

Having only been in charge for 6 months, I’m still not sure what my strongest side is. A pre-tournament friendly with South Korea ended up a 7-5 victory for us, so this could be a crazy ride.

Group Stage

Spoiler

China            2-0     Japan

They’re the holders and hosts, so, even though they’re not one of the four sides you’d expect to be in with a chance, reassuring to get the victory.

China            4-0     Bangladesh

China            6-0     Cambodia

So, 8-0 against Kuwait who we meet next?

Spoiler

China            5-0     Kuwait

Spoiler

China            4-1     Uzbekistan

The score line doesn’t really tell the story. With 10 minutes to go it was 1-1. They’d only had 1 shot on target, but it was a cracker, and we were one fluke or penalty away from going out. We were in a different class to Uzbekistan apart from our finishing. Until the final 10 minutes.

Spoiler

South Korea were looking our main danger in the competition, but Australia ousted them on penalties in this round, and that’s who we meet next.

Spoiler

China            1-2     Australia

We were by far the batter side, but were undone by stupidity. Stupidly giving the ball away to let them equalise. Stupidly shooting themselves instead of making the easy pass to an open striker. Stupidly getting a straight red for a horrendous tackle. This was just a stupid defeat all round.

Spoiler

China 4-1      Syria

After The Tournament

Spoiler

Sacked. I applied for the vacant South Korea job, but didn’t get it. They really haven’t forgiven me for the 2027 Asian Cup. Come on, guys. Get over it.

Domestic
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	

International
38-39	Ghana				ACON S/F
42-44	Holland				Euro Q/F Sacked
46-47	China				Asian Cup S/F Sacked

Challenge Progress 31/33

Club

International

20 December 2020

Norwich.thumb.jpg.dd9f96c3cff50a5e202a29027421487d.jpg

We have taken the reins at Norwich City F.C. on a contract through 2022!

Things at Preston North End were very "meh" and we were solidly mid-table.  The side was hyper-frustrating, as they'd get a nice win, over a club they probably shouldn't beat, and then come out the next match and set out stink bombs where my players used to reside.  On top of that, the board had JUST cut my wage budget by £50,000 per week!  Mind you, I had never been over budget a single day at this club, and had not made a mess of my transfer funds, either.  This is past manager's transfer clauses coming home to roost, along with the club's previous debt.  It was actually used as a stick against me in another interview (Leeds also interviewed me) even though I'd been over budget less than a week.  I've literally not even had a chance to sell players!  

With Preston North End cutting my budget so terribly, while I was under-budget and meeting expectations, makes me feel a lot better about taking a move just a ways up the Championship table.  If Preston is that broke, it is going to be hard to build a base to get to the Prem and start achieving. We are in 7th position, on 36 points through 22 matches, and only five points off the top!  We also have MONEY to spend in the upcoming window, as I have £88,000 in available wage budget, and just over £10M in the transfer kitty!  I would have much preferred a Premier League job, obviously, but there has yet to be a vacancy in early December.  It's a very interesting Prem this season, through 14 matches there is only seven points separating 10th in the table and the bottom!

This was just a quick update that I've moved clubs, we have a lot of season left for Season 4, and let us HOPE a potential promotion to the Premier League.  We are unbeaten in three in the League, and we go to Goodison in early January for a FA Cup Third Round match with Everton.  There is definitely a base to run with here.

See you at the end of the season, and LET'S GO CANARIES?!?!?!

CAREER UPDATE

I did a quick season with Rangers to just win the Betfred Cup, tick another cup off, I resigned straight away and applied for a few Austrian teams in the quarters of their own FA Cup so hopefully I can tick 2 cups off in 1 season.

Challenge Progress

Club

10/10 top domestic leagues - MLS Cup, Chinese Super League, Italian Seria A, Dutch League, Spanish BBVA,  English Prem, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga,  Portuguese League,  Croatian League.
7/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup, Portugal League Cup, Croatian Cup, Betfred Cup, 

International

Betfred Cup.png

Pug's Update Season 2022/23

FOsUeDx.png

So After Resigning From Puebla I Applied For And Got The Pohang Job. Job Offer . Things Didn't Look Good But Looking At The Squad And

Some Of The Players In The Reserves, I Knew They Shouldn't Be In The Position. TableResults . So With Me Restoring Some Of The Better

Players To The First Team, And Morale A Bit Low I Set About Changing Our Fortunes. With Me Losing The First 2 Games All Of A Sudden I Went On A Run Of 8 Wins Before Losing Again. With That We Climbed The Table So In The End With Another 2 Losses And A Draw We Finished Top

On Goal Difference. Table . Then It Was Onto The Group At The End, And With 4 Wins And A Loss We Had Won The League. Results . The Cup 

Was A No Go As We Had Being Knocked Out Before I Took Over.  Job History     End Of Season Awards 

Another Note Is I'm Now Manager Of  Job Offer  Contract Australia.

CLUB CAREER                      
                                                                       -----------
Season     Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Other & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Soihull Moors       Won                                                     Won Vanarama League
2018/19    Mthatha Bucks       Won                 Won                                 Won ABSA Premiership/Telkom
2019/20    Kaizer Chiefs       Won            Won  Won                                 Won All Domestic Trophies
2020/21    Kaizer Chiefs                                  Won                          Left After Champions League Win 
2021/22    Puebla              Won            Won                                      Won Cup And League                  
2022/23    Puebla              Won  Won                   Won                          Won Apertura/Clausura/Champ League  
2022/23    Pohang Steelers     Won                                                     Won The League
2023/24    PohAng Steelers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                   INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                                   --------------------

Season    Nation         Cups                                                                         Other & Notes
                         World Cup    Confed Cup    Euro's    AFC    ACON    Gold Cup   Copa America
2020/21   Nigeria
2021/22   Nigeria                                                    Won
2021/22   Chile                                                                                       Sacked After 4 Games
2022/23   Australia

Challenge Progress.
  -------------------

Club
----
3/10 Top Domestic Leagues(South Africa-Mexico-South Korea)
2/10 Top Domestic Cups   (South Africa-Mexico)
2/5  Continental Cups    (Kaizer Chiefs-Puebla)
0/1  Club World Cup      ()

International
-------------
1/5  Continental Tournaments (Nigeria/ACON)
0/2  World Tournaments       ()

Edited by pug 407
Update

CAREER UPDATE

I took the Ajax Cape Town job, they were in a terrible position in the league so no chance of winning the league but I won the South African FA Cup so another cup ticked off the list. I have been entered into the African Confederations Cup which I assume is the African version of the Europa league.

My aim is to win the South African League or try qualify for the African Champions League and then try win that.

Challenge Progress

Club

8/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup, Portugal League Cup, Croatian Cup, Betfred Cup, South African FA Cup

International

South African Cup.png

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

3 hours ago, pug 407 said:

@vikeologist Unlucky With The Asian Cup. What's Next For You?.

Neither South Korea or China offered me the job next time it was vacant, so my only hope is Australia. If I don't win with them first time, I might not be able to complete the challenge, as there are no other playable nations.

I've got the Spain job. Because of the regen bug, there are only 9 Spanish players under 20, (all of them dreadful). Every Spanish goalkeeper in the world is 37 years old. To be fair, 2013 was a good vintage, because of the now infamous summer craze in 2014 of throwing ping pong balls at babies, that was speedily condemned by the Vatican and banned.

CAREER UPDATE

I finally won the African Champions League with Ajax Cape Town. I just need to win 2 more domestic cups, the South American Champions League and the Club World Cup. I am nearly there lol.

Challenge Progress

Club

7/10 domestic cups - German Cup,  Chinese FA Cup, Spanish Cup, English League Cup, Portugal League Cup, Croatian Cup, Betfred Cup, 
4/5 club continental championships - North American Champions League, Asian Champions League, UEFA Champions League, African Champions League, 

International

African Champions League.png

@vikeologist not sure if this has been mentioned but from this season in real life the South African champions league will run from November-May which should be a blessing for this challenge on FM19.

For me I've not played FM for over 3 months new thanks to a broken laptop. have enjoyed reading through everyone's progress )or lack of when it comes to Vike and the ACON ;))

2 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

@vikeologist not sure if this has been mentioned but from this season in real life the South African champions league will run from November-May which should be a blessing for this challenge on FM19.

For me I've not played FM for over 3 months new thanks to a broken laptop. have enjoyed reading through everyone's progress )or lack of when it comes to Vike and the ACON ;))

What's an ACON? Never heard of it, so I'm going to take it out of the challenge. :ackter:

2022 - Changchun Yatai

gn6UW8G.png

First full year in Changchun, and after a transfer window in which I... kinda forgot about the limit of eight domestic transfers per season and therefore couldn't really purchase all I wanted to, we went into the season with some doubts but hoping for a good performance. The goal was to get to the Champions League places, although the board was more than happy with a top half finish. Pressure off my shoulders.

Competitions -- Fixtures

In the end we managed to get into the Champions League, although in a slightly different way than I expected. I mean, not complaining at all, cup titles are cup titles, and that's another tick in the challenge progress, but still. It was a very weird cup run all in all, what with having to face off against Shandong (5th in the league) and Yifang (surprising 2nd) in early rounds, only for the semis and the final to be against two Jia League squads. Granted, both promoted in the end, Chongqing as champions, but yeah. Strange.

Our league campaign was satisfying in the end, although some extra luck against the top teams (particularly Hebei) would've allowed us to climb a bit closer to the top three. Yifang almost prevented a fifth league title in a row for Shanghai SIPG, but in the end fell short in the final fixture. We're still missing something to allow us to go toe to toe with squads featuring the likes of Lucas Moura, Vietto, or Brenner, but we're getting closer. I hope next year we'll be able to jump right into the title battle, provided the transfer window goes well (and I don't forget about the rules this time!) And there's the ACL to look forward too, obviously. Would be great if I could manage to get my first continental trophy out of the way, but eh, too early for us, probably...

Oh, and still no international job. Applied to a couple after the World Cup but none seemed interested. Maybe after the 2023 Asian Cup in a couple of months...

Roster

The team performed quite well overall, with once again Marinho and Ighalo as the obvious standouts and joint top scorers. We're facing a problem now, though: they're 32 and 33 respectively, their consistency is starting to suffer, and Marinho has already requested to be transfered back home to Brazil in the coming winter. Considering they're the most influential players in the squad and that Marinho is a club icon already, this could prove to be problematic. Thankfully there's fresh blood coming through, with right winger Gong Wei at the forefront. If Marinho leaves he'll probably become the new owner of the right wing, and if his performances in the cup this year are to be trusted, he's gonna be great for us.

Season   Team                         League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental    Other                Notes
======================================================================================================================================================================
2018     Selangor                     2nd                  3rd round      Group Stg.    N/A            N/A                  Joined in the offseason. National C license.
2019     Selangor                     1st                  Winners        Winners       East Playoff   N/A                  Domestic treble! Manager of the Year. National B and A licenses.
2020/21  Melbourne City               1st/Winners          2nd round      N/A           Group Stage    N/A                  Joined in the offseason. Manager of the Year. Continental C and B licenses.
2021     Changchun                    7th                  QF             N/A           N/A            N/A                  Joined in July, 7th, 11 games remaining.
2022     Changchun                    4th                  Winners        N/A           N/A            N/A                  Continental A license. Qualified to ACL through cup win.

Challenge Progress

Club

2/10 top domestic leagues (Liga Super Malaysia 2019, Hyundai A-League 2020/21)
2/10 domestic cups (Piala FA (Malaysia) 2019, Chinese FA Cup 2022)
0/5 club continental championships ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()
0/2 world tournaments ()

Other titles

Piala Malaysia (2019)

Edited by Dalbeider