The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

8 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Danny_H22 Congrats on your success in Brazil. I guess at some point I will have to decide whether to follow you into Brazil. The idea of playing all those matches fills me with dread, especially if I'm similarly dominant to your Flamengo team. I think I'm probably going to at least give winning the Lib from Colombia or Uruguay a try as I've never managed there, and I'm going to need a 10th league and cup from somewhere.  (if we get the leagues / cups from the nations we get the continental trophies from, that only brings us up to 9 including the mandatory Euro nations).

I also was hoping of a Uruguay route to the Copa Libertadores but in my game at least it is dominated by Brazilian and Argentine sides.   I will likely go for Argentina though with considerably fewer games (just 27 in the league for 2017/18, plus the cup) than Brazil, not sure I can cope with that many games a season.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

I also was hoping of a Uruguay route to the Copa Libertadores but in my game at least it is dominated by Brazilian and Argentine sides.   I will likely go for Argentina though with considerably fewer games (just 27 in the league for 2017/18, plus the cup) than Brazil, not sure I can cope with that many games a season.

The Copa is very Brazil heavy on the game. I basically faced Brazilian teams throughout the entire competition and I think 6/8 quarter finalists were from Brazil. 

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 01:31, vikeologist said:

@pug 407 Congrats on your S African double. Wonder if you'll get your third Ultimate completion before I get my second.

Don't Know Your Starting To Get Some Trophies Now

Season 1 - Sibenik, Croatia

Squad

Transfers - I will be letting the DoF do transfers for now he will know the local area better for players I will try and sign the odd player here and there.

Table

Finances - Not looking good financially

Domestic
Season		Team	 Division			Position Notes
2017/18         Sibenik  Croatian Second League         8th      Took over with the team in 8th
2018/19         Sibenik  Croatian Second League
Edited by MWE

I started this challenge and ended up getting the Clyde job in the Scottish 4th tier. Things have gone so well. After guiding them all the way top the Premiership we have now won the league back to back and were really unlucky to lose to Man Utd in the champions league semi-final. I just can't bring myself to move on even though that was the whole object of the save. Has anyone else got so attached to a team that they've struggled to move on?

@jmonfu I feel terrible pointing this out, but your save varies from the rules in a couple of ways; we're not supposed to manage in added on league (eg Japan) and the manager has to be 20 (or 19) when we start.

I'm not sure there's another challenge it fits into at the moment. The Ultimate 70 also requires being 20 when you start, the the Ultimate Club challenge says that you have to start in one of a few selected countries.

If you continue, do feel free to post with a link to your blog (are they still called that?), but i guess you wouldn't go on the leader board or in the hall of fame. You seem like you're pretty committed, so I'm telling you straight away so that you have the option of restarting and being eligible for this (or one of the other) challenges.

Or start a new challenge; The First Not Having Lots of Over Restrictive Rules Challenge.

When i first did the Dafuge challenge, I realised half way through that I'd not abided by one of the rules, (the 'do not add key staff rule). Such a pain. Still completed it though.

@Shankly84 personally i don't get attached to clubs in this challenge. I would expect to be at any club for more than 2 seasons. Most of the time I don't even know the names of my players. Sometimes my teams play in their away strip and I realise I'm supporting the wrong team. 'Yay, get in there, my son. Hold on, who are you?. Oh crap we're 1-0 down'.

Don't get attached.

I must admit, last year I started the idea of putting together a challenge XI of my favourite players in the challenge, but this save I don't even really notice any of the players except for whoever is the main goal scorer that season. Honestly I'm finding the challenge a bit boring this time round, now that my success rate has risen. I really enjoy developing players, but that's completely missing from my save. I still tutor players, but what's the point? What's the point of scouting and buying players? I'm going to win everything with whatever rubbish I inherited. So continue - instant result - continue - instant result..... 

The international side is interesting, because I might not win, and in Mexico as I currently am, the league ends in a sort of cup tournament (when I eventually get to it), which will introduce the element of risk. (Of course the cup has a risk as well. I was 4-0 up in one round, and just left the second half playing in the background after I subbed on a couple of unfit players). The match finished 4-4, and we only went through on penalties. I've certainly thrown away a few matches, especially in this save, but I don't think in 30 years of this game I've ever lost a 4-0 lead in one half.

So I envy you the fact that you care about your team, but STOP IT! Eyes on the prize. Don't get attached. Just remember;

I be a monkey on your back <honeypumpkin>
Until you kick that Short Dog habit got you on my <Tottenham Hotspur>
And even though I can't <have a meaningful discussion with> you every day
That's 'cause I got another <honeypumpkin> aroun' the way
We can all get together on a late night
Cut to the house hook somethin' up real tight
I really don't care
Cause I'm a player

(Censored) words to manage by.

@vikeologist The age I knew about, however I did not know that Added Leagues are not allowed (using Claasen's patch).  No worries, I will continue my save as is since I like to have a lot of added leagues running.  So I will stop posting here

Season 2 - Sibenik, Croatia

League Table - Promoted!

Squad

Transfers - DoF still doing the transfers

Finances - Still in the red

Domestic
Season		Team	 Division			Position Notes
2017/18         Sibenik  Croatian Second League         8th      Took over with the team in 8th
2018/19         Sibenik  Croatian Second League         1st      Promoted
2019/20         Sibenik  Croatian First League

Escudo_del_Club_Nacional_de_Football_svg.thumb.png.e8e6344fd23fe904ce10fa25d1f6e623.png

Crispypaul
Nacional
Uruguayan First Division

League - Table - we managed to win the Clasura section after a playoff against Penarol, then to the Championship playoff (I have no idea why there are two) also against Penarol, which we just scraped through 7-6 on aggregate leading to my first league title.

Squad

Best players:

Alvaro Gonzalez - veteran defensive midfielder also won the League Player of the Year

Santiago Romero - another quality defensive midfielder

Alexis Rolin - solid centre half

Rafael Garcia - also strong at the back

Finances - much better than my last club, National A licence nearly completed

Domestic
Season	 Team			Division		Position	Notes						Challenge Landmarks
2017	 Villa Espanola		Uruguyan Segunda         9th	        Got National C licence 
2018 	 Villa Espanola         Uruguyan Segunda         -              Left 9th July to take Nacional job
2018     Nacional               Uruguyan First          1st             Won Clasura and Championship playoff

International
Year	   Team					Achievements

Challenge Progress

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (Uruguay, Nacional, 2018)	
 0/10 domestic cups 
 0/5 club continental championships 
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 
 0/2 world tournaments 
Edited by Crispypaul

Vikeologist's 2023/4 Chivas Opening Stage Report

Image result for chivas

This was a crazy season.

In the Mexican league, we reached the playoffs without any problems. In fact I won my first 13 competitive matches with the club. We then picked up a lot of injuries and connected to that, draws in our remaining fixtures, and even one defeat, but went into the playoffs on top of the table having won our last 4 games, so I was pretty confident.

First up was the QF away leg against the #8 side. Which we lost 5-0.

5-0! I couldn’t believe what was happening. It was going to take a miracle to get through (and avoid the sack).

The second leg was just us battering them. They barely had a shot on goal. By half time we were 3-0 up. We grabbed the 4th with half an hour to go, but we just couldn’t get the 5th. It finally came in the 88th minute. The tie ended 5-5, and we went through as the higher seeded side. Amazing!

And then in the semi-finals it happened again. We lost the away leg 5-1. At home we dominated and established a 6-0 lead. Then they scored a goal which meant that just one more goal they’d go through on away goals. We held on for a 7-6 aggregate.

But what is going on with those away legs? Do they all miss their mummies? Have they decided that in order to motivate themselves and be sporting, they need to let the other side score 5 goals in the first match? What are they doing to me? I know my last post was complaining about this save being too easy, but this is just crazy stuff. For the love of God, stop! Let’s just have an easy final.

Not to be. Away leg, we’re soon 2-0 down, concede a penalty (which they miss) and then have a player given a straight red. It finished 4-1, so I suppose we’re slowly getting better in these first legs.

We needed a 3-0 win in the second leg, and were at 2-0 at half time, but couldn’t get the third. Losers!

The cup nearly had its craziness as well, when we threw away a 4-0 half time lead in the 2nd round, and ended up winning on penalties.

However, the rest of the contest was drama-free, with us winning 6-0 in the final.

I suppose losing the league isn’t the end of the world, as long as I win it next time. I had to stay for the NACL anyway.

However, I am selling some of my better players who don’t fit into my tactics to raise funds for new players; not that there’s many good players available for decent fees.

On the international front, at the end of December I was offered my old job at Ivory Coast, and I don’t see Mexico winning the World Cup, Copa America or Confederations Cup, so I’ve taken it.

Domestic
Season	Team				Position	Notes										
17	Shanghai Shenxin (China)	9th		Took over with 5 matches left, and didn't win any of them. 
18	Shanghai Shenxin		2nd		Promoted
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
20	Hebei China Fortune		3rd		Won FA Cup									
21	Hebei China Fortune		1st		League, Cup, Champions League treble						
21-2	Ajax CT (South Africa)		5th		Took over with 8 matches left, missed out on Confed Cup qual by 1 point.
22-3	Ajax CT				1st		Won African Champions League. League, KO Cup and FA Cup quadruple. Unbeaten in league.
23-4(O)	Chivas (Mexico)			1st		Lost in League final. Won the Mexican Cup.

International
Year	Team				Achievements
18	China U23			Won Asian Games.
19	Norway				Left after 4 matches of Euro Qualifying.
19-20	Ghana				Left after 2 matches of African Cup Qualifying
20	Belgium				Sacked after leading the #1 team in the world to 1 draw and 3 defeats
21-22	Ivory Coast			Qualified for World Cup and reached second round, won CHAN.
22-3	Mexico				Won Gold Cup, reached Copa America semi with B team.
24	Ivory Coast

Challenge Progress 8/33

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa)		
 3/10 domestic cups 			(China, S Africa, Mexico)						
 2/5 club continental championships	(Asia, Africa) 	

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		(N America)	
 0/2 world tournaments 

7 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@MWE WD on promotion. Reckon you can take Sibenik to the title?

Don't think it will be possible Dinamo, Hadjuk, Osijek and Rijeka are all very good the other teams in the league are very beatable.

10 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@Crispypaul Congrats on your first title. I suppose that means you have to play a whole other 9half) season before you get another crack at the cup. I take it you're going to stick around.

It depends - my contract expires June 2019.  I have applied for the Shanghai SIPG job twice and been turned down twice - just staying for now to try and win the cup and to get any licences done.  I am getting Continental C at the moment.

2025 Season Report - Atlanta United

atlanta.jpg.23a7deacf7b90fa537c4b0e7094ec672.jpg

After our kind of fluke win of the MLS last season my targets this year were the cup and NACL. We'll start with NACL. We beat Saprissa from Costa Rica home and away in the first round. Then it was fellow American side NY Red Bulls. A 4-1 home win meant the away leg would be comfortable and we won that 1-0 to go through to the semi finals against San Jose, the side we beat for MLS last season. A convincing 3-1 away win made the home leg comfortable where we repeated the 3-1 scoreline. In the final we would face yet another American side in Houston, these were the side that beat us in the cup final last season. A nervy 1-0 win away in the first leg was great and a resounding 4-1 home win saw us win NACL and my 3rd champions league.

Our run in NACL really affected our league form as we went a few without winning, to such an extent that a month after winning NACL my job was "Insecure" ungrateful feckers. In the cup we made it to the semi final after wins over Miami, Orlando and Minnesota, however my run will end there as I applied for a job I couldn't resist and got it. A new country for me but I did leave my former team with a nice goodbye present.

Not winning the cup here will mean I'll have to chase one and win it somewhere else now but I couldn't turn down the chance to manage a side like Boca over 1 cup. I also go turned down for the Brazil national job as I look for a return to international management (Gold cup ends soon so hoping USA or Mexico sack their manager)

Career Overveiw

Season		Team				Country			Position		Notes & Achievements

2017/18		Ubuntu Cape Town		South Africa		1st			Promotion
2018/19		Ubuntu Cape Town		South Africa		7th 
2019/20		Orlando Pirates			South Africa		4th 			Won, CAF Confederations Cup, CAF Super Cup & MTN8 cup	
2020/21		Orlando Pirate			South Africa		1st			League winners, Nedbank Cup Winners, Tolkom Cup Winners, CAF Confederations and Super Cup winners
2021/22		Orlando Pirates			South Africa		1st 			League winners, Nedbank Cup winners, Tolkom Cup winners	
2022/23		Orlando Pirates			South Africa		1st 			MTN8 winners and Champions League winners		
2023		Guangzhou EverGrande		China			1st 			League Winners, Champions League winners, Cup winners
2024		Atlanta United			USA			11th 			MLS winners
2025		Atlanta United			USA			4th 			NACL Winners

International

Year	Country			Notes & Achievements 

2017	Australia U23		Asian U23 Champions
2019	China			Asian Cup Winners
2019/20 Egypt 			African Nations Championship Winners
2020/21 Egypt			African Cup of Nations Winners

Challenge Progress
Club
3/10 top domestic leagues – South Africa 2021 (Orlando Pirates), China 2023 (Guangzhou), USA 2024 (Atlanta United)
2/10 domestic cups – South Africa 2021 (Orlando Pirates), China 2023 (Guangzhou)
3/5 club continental championships – Africa 2022 (Orlando Pirates), Asia 2023 (Guangzhou), North America 2025 (Atlanta United)

International
2/5 continental tournaments - Asian Cup Winners 2019 (China), Cup of Nations 2021 (Egypt)
0/2 world tournaments ()

2026 – Esporte Clube Bahia // Nigeria

I'll just give a quick update on how this year went, as nothing really interesting has happened. At Bahia I started by clinching the Bahia State championship (?) which is a local cup/series or something. Really did not meet any great opponents, so every game was an easy win. But when the league started, I realised how bad my team really was and I could barely win a match. Started to search the job market in hopes for a better club, as this one seemed to be a hopeless case, and was fired when I applied for a new club job (which I did not get). Bahia later went on to get relegated from the top division in Brazil.

As i could not really find a new, interesting club job, I also started to look out for international jobs. I think the African Cup of Nations should be next on the list for me, and when the Nigeria job got available, I had to apply. Luckily I got the job, and I have now qualified for ACON after a strong start of the qualifying campaign (luckily, since we only got 1 point out of the final 2 games…). I think we should be able to at least challenge for the cup, but there are several good teams in the mix.

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                        Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers        Hong Kong Premier League      6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International    Singaporean League            6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International    Singaporean League            1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup
2020      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               Unemployed
2021      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2022      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          10th       3rd round                N/A               Continental C-license, expected last in league, 3rd best in 2nd half of the season
2023      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                N/A               Continental B-license, expected last in league, qualified for ACL
2024	  Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                Qtr. Final        Continental A-license, qualified for ACL
2025      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          2nd        2nd                      1st               4th in CWC, won Chinese Super League Fair Play award
2026      Bahia                    Brazilian National 1st div.   N/A        5th round                N/A               Won the Bahia State, sacked after 4 league games

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        FIFA Ranking   Continental Tournament   World Tournament   Notes
2020     Iraq          66th           N/A                      N/A                Took over just before new year, no games
2021     Iraq          74th           N/A                      N/A                Resigned when I didn't qualify to WC, fell 8 places on FIFA ranking during my stay
2022     New Zealand   85th           N/A                      N/A                Played well in friendlies, 9 places up on FIFA ranking, starting to figure out how this works..
2023     Mexico        N/A            1st                      N/A                Won the Gold Cup
2026     Nigeria       19th           N/A                      N/A                Qualified for ACON

Challenge Progress
Club
1/10 top domestic leagues (Geylang International, SIN;)
2/10 domestic cups (HK Rangers, HKG; Geylang, SIN;)
1/5 club continental championships (Shijiazhuang Yongchang, CHN;)
0/1 club world championship ()

International
1/5 continental tournaments (Gold Cup, MEX; )
0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by Skogmus

Olympique Lyonnais
Ligue 1
2028/2029

Domestically we showed improvement over last season largely due to the loan signings made by our DoF, two CB's and a right & left wingers.  The right winger a former Ajax CT winger who'd been sold to Chelsea so fit right into my team. In the league it was a three horse race between ourselves, Monaco and PSG that went down to the final game of the season with us top by a point from Monaco.  Monaco did us a favour by drawing with Toulouse who'd been flirting with relegation as we were labouring to a 0-0 draw with 5th placed Marseille.  With both of us drawing PSG beat bottome club Troyes 4-0 to draw level with us on 87 points and snatch the league due to their superior goal difference.  To put it mildly I was gutted.

image.thumb.png.d8e89ecd3751a5b6f9396319d91723a9.png

We Improved in the French FA Cup over last seasons disappointing showing by reaching the semi-final loosing 2-4 against eventual winners Monaco after extra time.  In the league cup with improved on last seasons semi-final showin by reaching the final and beating PSG 2-1 to claim a my first trophy in France.

In the Champions League group stage we were drawn against Ajax, Arsenal & Barcelona.  We started off at home to Barcelona with a 3-2 victory in a back and forth contest settled by a goal in the 73rd min.  We followed that up with away wins against Ajax (1-0) and Arsenal (3-2).  We did the double over Arsenal at home with a 4-2 win before we suffered our first defeat of the season away to Barcelona loosing 5-3.  We finished off the group with a 4-2 win at home to Ajax and finished 2nd in the group on goal difference to Barcelona.  The first knockout stage saw us beat Atletico Madrid 6-3 on aggregate with a shock 4-0 win home before loosing 3-2 in the away leg.  Juventus were despatched in the quarter-final with a 3-1 home win followed by a 3-3 draw away.  The semi-final saw us return to Madrid to face Real.  We lost the first leg away by two goals to one then turned the tie around with a 2-0 home win and see us through to the final to face Man City...at the Bernabeu.  The final was a tense nervy affair that saw us claim Lyon's first Champions League crown with a 2-1 win.

Overall we improved domestically and was absolutely gutted to miss out on the title on the last day but at the same time it's great to add a cup.  Add to that the surprising CL win and overall a good season.  Financially the club is now £40m in credit due to the CL TV & Prize money so hopefully will be able to afford to some quality recruits as we're punching well above our weight at the moment.
It'll be an interesting summer on the managerial merry go round as the Real Madrid job is vacant and Jose Mourinho is "very insecure" at Man Utd.  I think I'd be tempted to join one of those teams and come back to France later to grab the league...but as yet nothing has been decided.

Challenge Progress:

Club
4/10 top domestic leagues (CHI, BRA, RSA, USA)
4/10 domestic cups (CHI, BRA, RSA, FRA)
5/5 club continental championships (ACL-Wuhan 2020, LIB-Sao Paulo 2022, CAFCL-Ajax CT 2025, NACL-New York RB 2027, UCL-Lyon 2029)
1/1 club world championship (Sao Paulo 2022)

International
2/5 continental tournaments (MAR 2023, KOR 2027)
0/2 world tournaments ()

Seasons:

CLUB CAREER
							Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club			Division	1st	2nd	1st	2nd		Cont.		CWC	Other & Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017	CHI	Wuhan			CNFD		5th								Joined in 9th place after 13 games and out of cups
2018	CHI	Whuan			CNFD		1st		Qtr						Promoted as champions
2019	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win						League & Cup double.
2020	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win			Win			Trebble Winners (+domestic super cup)
2021	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		3rd		Qtr						Joined in 17th after 11 games.
2022	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		1st		Win			Win		Win	Quadruple
2022/23	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		7th		n/a	Win					Nedbank Cup win
2023/24	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		2rnd	Final					League Champions
2024/25	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		Semi	Win		Win			CAF Confederation Cup, League Champions, MTN 8 Cup, Telkom Knockout Cup, CAF Super Cup
2025/26	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st*					Win			CAF Champions League, *resigned after 7 league games in 1st place and a game in hand.
2026	USA	New York RB		MLS		1st								MLS Cup & MLS Supporters Shield winners
2027	USA	New York RB		MLS		12th					Win			NACL
2027/28	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		3rd		10rnd	Semi
2028/29	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		2nd		Semi	Win		Win			UEFA CL & League Cup winners

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
			Rank		Cups
Year	Nation		FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes
2020	Serbia		21st
2021	Serbia		33rd					Failed to Qualify for World Cup
2022	Morocco		15th					Won African Nations Championship
2023	Morocco		18th					Won African Cup of Nations
2025	South Korea	50th					Won East Asia Cup
2026	South Korea	44th					3rd in World Cup group
2027	South Korea	31st			Win		Won the Asian Cup
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season 3 - Sibenik, Croatia

League - 5th at the first attempt happy with that also got the quarter final of the cup

Squad

Transfers

Finances - Still in the red.

Domestic
Season	Team	 Division			Position Notes
2017/18 Sibenik  Croatian Second League         8th      Took over with the team in 8th
2018/19 Sibenik  Croatian Second League         1st      Promoted
2019/20 Sibenik  Croatian First League          5th      Qualified for the Europa League

Vikeologist's 2023/4 Chivas Closing Stage Report

Image result for chivas

Hello, Tigres, my old friend.

Or maybe not friends, because Tigres are not only the team that beat us in the season final last time round and the only team to beat us during this regular season, but they’re also the team that beat Chivas the last and only time they were in the NACL final.

So, when we met them in the NACL final this time, I was a little bit scared, but I didn’t need to be. We mauled them so bad, (9-1 on aggregate) that I believe they’re now legally obliged to change their name to Gatitos, (kittens). I thought I saw a puddy cat. So I killed and skinned it.

This final happened between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. Surely we couldn’t throw the league title away again.

No, this time there was no drama, and we won the playoff and league easily.

I’ve already applied for what I hope will be my next job, Santa Fe in Colombia, but I won’t accept the job until I see how they do in their final crucial Copa Libertadores group match. (I haven’t even been offered an interview yet). I wasn’t going to quit Chivas until seeing I’m offered that interview / job. Trouble is that I want to leave in the next couple of weeks so I can remove the Mexican league.

Top Goalscorer – Julio Furch – 39 Not a bad tally considering that (because he’s now over the hill and roughly our 5th best striker) he barely played in the second half of the season.

Top Average Rating – Manuel Camacho – 8.05 A striker I bought midway through the season. Cost a lot, but worth it.

Man of the Match – 2 other players – 9

MVP – Manuel Camacho

Oh, and I'm on the leader board, or will be after I save this.

Domestic
17	Shanghai Shenxin (China)	9th		Took over with 5 matches left, and didn't win any of them. 
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
21-2	Ajax CT (South Africa)		5th		Took over with 8 matches left, missed out on Confed Cup qual by 1 point.
22-3	Ajax CT				1st		Won African Champions League. League, KO Cup and FA Cup quadruple. Unbeaten in league.
23-4(C)	Chivas				1st		League / NACL double.

International
20	Belgium				Sacked after leading the #1 team in the world to 1 draw and 3 defeats
22-23	Mexico				Won Gold Cup, reached Copa America semi with B team.
24-	Ivory Coast

Challenge Progress 10/33

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa, Mexico)		
 3/5 club continental championships	(Asia, Africa, North America) 	

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

Pug's Update Season 2019-20

u6Wgp3q.png

So That New Team Was Kaizer Chiefs, Who I Think Will Be Better To Win The Champions League. ContractExpectations .

With The Team I Had Here And A Few More Additions To Make Us A Bit Stronger We Were Ready To Start. Up First After The Friendly's  Was The Carling

Black Label Cup Against Orlando Pirates And A Easy 5-0 Win. Next Up Was The MTN 8 And Another Cup Win. Results . Next Up Was The Confederation

Cup And A Trip All The Way To The Final And A Away Goal Loss . Results . Up Next Was The Nedbank Cup And Another Cup With A Win Over Mthatha Bucks In The Final. Results . Next Up Was The League And A Brilliant League Win With 29 Wins 1 Draw And 0 Losses.

LeagueResults 1Results 2 .With Us Finishing 2nd Behind Mthatha Bucks Last Season We Were In The Champions League. We Made it To

The Q-Finals And As Everyone Knows Its Next Season You Play The Rest. Results . Just Hope I Can Keep Most Off My Good Players.

End Of Season AwardsJob History .

CLUB CAREER                      
                                                                       -----------
Season     Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Other & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Soihull Moors                                                               Won Vanarama League
2018/19    Mthatha Bucks       Won                 Won                                 Won ABSA Premiership/Telkom
2019/20    Kaizer Chiefs       Won            Won  Won                                 Won All Domestic Trophies
2020/21    Kaizer Chiefs                                                                                     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                   INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                                   --------------------

Season    Nation         Cups                                                                         Other & Notes
                         World Cup    Confed Cup    Euro's    AFC    ACON    Gold Cup   Copa America
  Challenge Progress.
  -------------------

Club
----
1/10 Top Domestic Leagues(South Africa)
1/10 Top Domestic Cups   (South Africa)
0/5  Continental Cups    ()
0/1  Club World Cup      ()

International
-------------
0/5  Continental Tournaments ()
0/2  World Tournaments       ()

Just A Little Update Got My First International Job With Nigeria

Edited by pug 407
Update

Season 4 - Sibenik, Croatia

Squad

Table

Europe and Cup

Cup Winners!

Transfers

New Job

Domestic
2017/18 Sibenik  Croatian Second League         8th      Took over with the team in 8th
2019/20 Sibenik  Croatian First League          5th      Qualified for the Europa League
2020/21 Sibenik  Croatian First League          4th      Croatian Cup Winners.
2021/22 Dinamo   Croatian First League

2027 – ACON w/ Nigeria

I was a bit nervous to take on 2027 and ACON with Nigeria after a rusty ending to the qualifying campaign,  but the friendlies before calmed me down. Played against New Zealand, Burkina Faso and DR Congo as a warm up to the important games, and I think we looked solid. We were struggling a bit defensively, but really impressive offensively. In the end, we beat NZ with 4–2, Burkina Faso with 3–1 and DR Congo with 5–2. I found a squad and tactic that I thought would be good enough to win the ACON, and headed to Guinea.

Group stage:

Spoiler

Nigeria 3–0 Cameroon
Nigeria 5–1 Angola
Nigeria 4–1 Benin

Fairly easy group, but a bit surprised of how easily we took down Cameroon. Congo awaiting in 2nd round..

2nd round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Nigeria 3–1 Congo

Went up 3–0 before 30 mins played, and controlled it from there. Unlucky to score an own goal, but made it safely through. Morocco awaiting in the quarter final.

Quarter final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Nigeria 3–0 Morocco

The best game we've played defensively while I've been in charge. A comfortable result, but Morocco did not deserve those figures.. On to meet Ivory Coast in the semi final. 

Semi final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Nigeria 2–0 Ivory Coast

Met the only African team that was higher than us on the FIFA ranking, and changed the formation a bit to defend better. Got the first goal, and focused on keeping the lead. When Ivory Coast pushed for the equalizer, we took the game away with a 2–0 goal in the 94th minute. A bit lucky, but we are playing the final agains Egypt.

Final/3rd place play-off (if applicable)

Spoiler

Nigeria e2–1 Egypt

Intense game where we fell behind early. Lots of chances both ways, but they did not result in goals. Got a penalty after 78 minutes and even though it got saved, they couldn't clear the ball away before we scored on it. 1–1 stayed until the first 90 minutes were over, and we had to do extra time. In the end of 1st half of extra time we got a new penalty and did not make any mistakes this time. The penalty was converted into a goal, and we held on to the lead.

After the tournament

Spoiler

I got the win, even though it was a close one. Will probably not stay at Nigeria any more, and I'm on the look-out for a new club job now. Nothing is decided yet, but there are interesting possibilities. Time will show where I end up, but I am definitely looking to grab some more trophies..

CLUB MANAGEMENT
Season    Team                     League                        Position   Domestic Cups            Continental Cup   Notes
2017/18   Hong Kong Rangers        Hong Kong Premier League      6th        1st/1st/2nd/Qtr. final   N/A               National C-license, 2 domestic cups
2018      Geylang International    Singaporean League            6th        1st/3rd                  N/A               Took over 7th with 8 games to go, 1 domestic cup
2019      Geylang International    Singaporean League            1st        1st/2nd                  N/A               National B-license, 1 domestic cup
2020      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               Unemployed
2021      N/A                      N/A                           N/A        N/A                      N/A               No club job
2022      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          10th       3rd round                N/A               Continental C-license, expected last in league, 3rd best in 2nd half of the season
2023      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                N/A               Continental B-license, expected last in league, qualified for ACL
2024	  Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          3rd        4th round                Qtr. Final        Continental A-license, qualified for ACL
2025      Shijiazhuang Yongchang   Chinese Super League          2nd        2nd                      1st               4th in CWC, won Chinese Super League Fair Play award
2026      Bahia                    Brazilian National 1st div.   N/A        5th round                N/A               Won the Bahia State, sacked after 4 league games

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
Season   Nation        FIFA Ranking   Continental Tournament   World Tournament   Notes
2020     Iraq          66th           N/A                      N/A                Took over just before new year, no games
2021     Iraq          74th           N/A                      N/A                Resigned when I didn't qualify to WC, fell 8 places on FIFA ranking during my stay
2022     New Zealand   85th           N/A                      N/A                Played well in friendlies, 9 places up on FIFA ranking, starting to figure out how this works..
2023     Mexico        N/A            1st                      N/A                Won the Gold Cup
2026     Nigeria       19th           N/A                      N/A                Qualified for ACON
2027     Nigeria       11th           1st                      N/A                Won the ACON

Challenge Progress
Club

International
2/5 continental tournaments (Gold Cup, MEX; ACON, Nigeria; )
0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by Skogmus

@Skogmus Well done on the ACON. Always impressive to win that tournament, although once I manage to break my run of defeats in it, I'll probably be less impressed with everybody else's successes. 

@MWE Congrats on the cup and the new job. Hope you can achieve success immediately next season. Were you responsible for any of Dinamo's defeats at the end of the season which opened things up for you. I hope you haven't inherited a squad made up entirely of bottlers.

@pug 407 Congrats on cleaning up in S Africa domestically. GL in the CL. Did you have a choice of African national jobs?

@blackdevil Congrats on the Champions League. Gutting end to the season. Have you stayed at Lyon for another season?

@darren1983 Congrats on the NACL. I'm surprised you couldn't get Boca to give you a delay so you could see what happened in the cup.

@Crispypaul I'm in Uruguay now, and have just finished the closing stage; and I have no idea what the hell's going on. Have I qualified for the Copa Libertadores? I've looked at last year's fixtures and season summary and it hasn't really cleared things up for me.

Edited by vikeologist

Vikeologist's 2024 Defensor Sporting End of Season Report

th?id=OIP.ukygvh509G8sPYK351zrbQAAAA&pid

I took over Defensor Sporting in Uruguay midway through the season.

They’d had a disastrous Opening Stage, (12th of 16 teams), crashed out of the Libertadores and had already lost 2 of their 3 matches in the Intermedio (Cup).

This meant that I stood no chance of winning the cup. (I picked up 10 points from the remaining 4 matches, but even if I’d won all 4 matches, it wouldn’t have been enough to qualify for the final).

My focus was on climbing up the table to qualify for the Libertadores, which I presume I’ve done managing to climb to 3rd in the overall table) and win the league.

I didn’t appreciate how difficult winning the league would be.

First I would have to win the Closing Stage. This was made more difficult by the fact that Nacional went unbeaten (until their last match by which point we’d won anyway).

Then we had to win the First Division Playoff against Peñarol. This turned into the new Battle of Montevideo, with the match finishing our 10 against their 9 thanks to 2 sending offs (1 each), an injury and plenty of walking wounded on both sides. It went to penalties, which we won, but we still weren’t league champions. I think if we’d lost this, we’d have been out, and the team that finished 2nd in the overall table would have been in the Championship Playoff instead.

However, it was indeed us who progressed and played Peñarol again, this time over 2 legs. We won at home 1-0, but lost the second leg 4-1 to end the season with absolutely nothing despite the team having a record of W17, D3, L2 under me. Still, if it had been a normal league, I’d have had no chance of making up the 24 points on Peñarol.

It’s been interesting to manage in Uruguay. I’m going to stay (as long as we are indeed in the Libertadores). We better be.

No season awards because all the players really sucked before I came.

Internationally things are going fine with Ivory Coast. We won our ACON qualifying group, but as we're hosting the tournament, I think it wouldn't have mattered if we'd finished bottom.

Domestic
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
24	Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)	2nd		Took over half way through season. Won Closing Stage and First Division Playoff. Lost Championship Playoff.

International
24-	Ivory Coast			Qualified for ACON

Challenge Progress 10/33

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa, Mexico)		

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

@vikeologist

Congratulations on a good first season. There should be an overall table I think which determines overall continental places. The rules sections states which.

Won't be an update from me for a while as I go on my honeymoon.

I did win the Intermedio tournament for my first cup but have gone on to a rolling contract whilst keeping an eye on Asian jobs.

@vikeologist I've decided to stay at Lyon despite nearly every top job in other countries becoming available.  Such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan etc.  surprisingly Mourinho is still in charge at Man Utd despite not winning anything in the last three seasons.  I'm hoping I can get that job at some point.

I didn't apply for any of them but would have considered them if they'd approached me.  I'm hoping I can win the league this season but wary of the financial power of Monaco, PSG and Marseille who've strengthened during the summer. 

9 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@pug 407 Congrats on cleaning up in S Africa domestically. GL in the CL. Did you have a choice of African national jobs?

No Just Ivory Coast And Nigeria

Season 5 - Dinamo, Croatia

Squad

League Table - League Winners!

Europe - Losing finalists in the Europa League

Cup - Cup winners!

Transfers

Finances

New Job

Domestic
2020/21 Sibenik  Croatian First League          4th      Croatian Cup Winners.
2021/22 Dinamo   Croatian First League          1st      League Winners, Croatian Cup Winners, Europa League runners-up
2022/23 Dinamo   Croatian First League

International
Season  Team          Notes
2022    Ivory Coast   Hired July '22

There won't be any complaints if I start a new save on FM17, will there?  I've been away a long time, and didn't purchase FM18 because I've had a lot of real-life turmoil with a flooded basement and a whole lot more, but I'm looking to come back as I have a lot of time on my hands again.  

Just making sure no one will care if a challenge veteran comes back on 17.  Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, jaysdailydose said:

There won't be any complaints if I start a new save on FM17, will there?  I've been away a long time, and didn't purchase FM18 because I've had a lot of real-life turmoil with a flooded basement and a whole lot more, but I'm looking to come back as I have a lot of time on my hands again.  

Just making sure no one will care if a challenge veteran comes back on 17.  Thanks. :)

I Personal Think It's Still Alright @jaysdailydose.

@vikeologist I'm just not sure how many leagues this machine can comfortably run.  I guess I may just start with SA and England down to League Two and then move forward from there when I get close to winning something.  My normal "load every league I'm going to play in" won't work with the potato I'm having to use now. :)

It was this or Dafuge.  I saw you've scored a completion in Dafuge since we talked last, nice job!

12 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@MWE Congrats on the league and cup. Moving club now? 

My reputation is still only 2 stars and I have no badges not a lot of jobs about at the moment so will stick with Dinamo for now.

Vikeologist's 2025 Ivory Coast ACON Report

Image result for Ivory Coast Badge

Let me mention again that I am currently on a streak of 8 successive ACON failures. I kind of hate the competition.

The favourites are probably Nigeria and ourselves. We have some really good midfielders, but are fairly weak in all other parts of the squad.

We’re the host nation, so hopefully there is some kind of home advantage coded into the game.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 7 -2 Sudan

Ivory Coast 5-3 Burkina Faso

Ivory Coast 4-1 Egypt

A good result against Egypt, but the number of goals we’re conceding is a bit worrying. Now things start to get stressful.

2nd Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 2-0 Algeria 

Pretty easy victory. Next up is Mali who were in our qualifying group for this competition, and earned a draw against us. We won the other match. 

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 2 – 0 Mali

Again, relatively comfortable. Next up is Morocco, so difficult, but not as difficult as it could have been.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 0-1 Morocco

We were the better side, but didn’t take our chances. Morocco scored at the start of the second half with their first shot on goal, and then we had a player sent off. We were still the better side, but couldn’t get the goal we needed.

3rd Place Playoff / Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Ivory Coast 3 – 1 Tunisia

After The Tournament

Spoiler

The semi final was a fluke result, but it was a fluke result with a reason. Every match we seemed to make bad defensive mistakes, miss the vast majority of chances and act like total psychos. 6 of my 8 best players are central midfielders. I play one of them as a central defender, but it still means that my team is horribly lop-sided, and at any time, half my best players aren’t on the pitch.

I might have stayed, but the ungrateful Ivorians sacked me, which prevented me having to make a decision. I’ve applied to go back to Ghana. I was tempted by Iran, because the Asian Cup is in 2 years, but almost their entire first team squad is over 30. If I don’t get the Ghana job, I might have a long wait to get back into international management.

UPDATE - No worries, I've been handed the dog returning to its own vomit-like opportunity to manage Ghana again. This time things should be better.

Edited by vikeologist

Olympique Lyonnais
Ligue 1
2029/2030

We started the season in fantastic form winning all our games bar one defeat against Real Madrid until the end of January when we lost our first domestic game against Saint-Etienne.  That run of for saw us progress from a Champions League group in second place behind Real Madrid and ahead of Napoli and Vojvodina.  And also included the second Club World Cup trophy of my career.  The defeat to Saint-Etienne marked the start of our inconsistancy in comparison to the first half of the season and saw us knocked out of the Champions League in the first knockout round.  With our attentions focused domestically and in particular the league we lost out in the final of the league cup to PSG when we played our second string players.  Thankfully after the league cup defeat we rallied to only loose one more game to the end of season and win the league on the final day by three points to second placed PSG.  We also added the French FA Cup with a 5-1 win over Lens to complete my collection of French trophies.
The european campaign was disappointing but was of secondary concern to my target of the league title and with that now claimed I'm looking to move on.
I've been keeping an eye out for suitable international jobs but as yet nothing has come up that grabs my attention but hopefully that will change after the upcoming world cup.

Challenge Progress:

Club
5/10 top domestic leagues (CHI, BRA, RSA, USA, FRA)
4/10 domestic cups (CHI, BRA, RSA, FRA)
5/5 club continental championships (ACL-Wuhan 2020, LIB-Sao Paulo 2022, CAFCL-Ajax CT 2025, NACL-New York RB 2027, UCL-Lyon 2029)
1/1 club world championship (Sao Paulo 2022)

International
2/5 continental tournaments (MAR 2023, KOR 2027)
0/2 world tournaments ()

Seasons:

CLUB CAREER
							Leagues		Cups
Season	NAT	Club			Division	1st	2nd	1st	2nd		Cont.		CWC	Other & Notes
2017	CHI	Wuhan			CNFD		5th								Joined in 9th place after 13 games and out of cups
2018	CHI	Whuan			CNFD		1st		Qtr						Promoted as champions
2019	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win						League & Cup double.
2020	CHI	Wuhan			CSL		1st		Win			Win			Trebble Winners (+domestic super cup)
2021	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		3rd		Qtr						Joined in 17th after 11 games.
2022	BRA	Sao Paulo		Serie A		1st		Win			Win		Win	Quadruple
2022/23	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		7th		n/a	Win					Nedbank Cup win
2023/24	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		2rnd	Final					League Champions
2024/25	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st		Semi	Win		Win			CAF Confederation Cup, League Champions, MTN 8 Cup, Telkom Knockout Cup, CAF Super Cup
2025/26	RSA	Ajax CT			RSA PL		1st*					Win			CAF Champions League, *resigned after 7 league games in 1st place and a game in hand.
2026	USA	New York RB		MLS		1st								MLS Cup & MLS Supporters Shield winners
2027	USA	New York RB		MLS		12th					Win			NACL
2027/28	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		3rd		10rnd	Semi
2028/29	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		2nd		Semi	Win		Win			UEFA CL & League Cup winners
2029/30	FRA	Olympique Lyonnais	L1		1st		Win					Win	League & FA Cup & Club World Cup

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
			Rank		Cups
Year	Nation		FIFA	NL	World	Cont.	Conf.	Other & Notes
2020	Serbia		21st
2021	Serbia		33rd					Failed to Qualify for World Cup
2022	Morocco		15th					Won African Nations Championship
2023	Morocco		18th			Win		Won African Cup of Nations
2025	South Korea	50th					Won East Asia Cup
2026	South Korea	44th					3rd in World Cup group
2027	South Korea	31st			Win		Won the Asian Cup

Edited by blackdevil

2027 – Sport Club Internacional

240px-Escudo_do_Sport_Club_Internacional

Manager Profile – Fixtures
CompetitionsPlayer Stats

Got myself a new job in Brazil after the ACON, and this time for a club of higher reputation than before. The job got available to me after the horrible start they had to the season, and I thought I could turn things around for them. Little did I know that I took over a team where the strikers don't know how to score goals…

It was a hard-fought season where we barely kept our spot in the top division, after going from 19th to 15th place after I took over, and just got out of the relegation spots in the final match of the season. I think there is a lot to do in the transfer window to get this club to challenge for the title, but I might be able to lift them a bit whilst on the look-out for something better. In the end I'm just relieved that we did not go down, as it was a really close one.

CLUB MANAGEMENT
2027      Internacional            Brazilian National 1st div.   15th       N/A                      N/A               Took over in 19th, barely avoided relegation

INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT
2027     Nigeria       11th           1st                      N/A                Won the ACON

Challenge Progress
Club

International
2/5 continental tournaments (Gold Cup, MEX; African Cup of Nations, NIG; )
0/2 world tournaments ()

I'm currently setting up my save, and seeing as how the CPU I now play on isn't all that powerful, I'm trying to keep my DB as tight as possible.

What I am wondering, as I know many of you load/unload leagues as you go, is how many of you have the "Players from Clubs in Continental Competitions" checked to make for harder continental play?  I'm actually under the impression that pretty much no one in the challenge does, but I could be wrong.  Same question with "Current International Players?"  I searched the thread because I never remembered this being discussed in the past, and I don't see anything.

Honestly, on my old machine, I would always play with these checked in most every save, but if I can save myself some processing power without making the game stupid, I could really use it.  When I first started a save again yesterday, it was awful slow. (I loaded my normal setup of the ten leagues I expect to win, and those two options checked, and it dragged arse.)  

It has been a really long time since I was active in the challenge, and I don't want to make things easier than most saves if everyone has the options checked.  I was always a difficulty junkie, and a "load everything" junkie, but with what happened with my home, I am just glad to have a computer to still play on at all. :)

Thanks for the input, everyone.  

PS: On FM17, I can get England loaded to League Two, and the top flight in China, Holland, Mexico, and South Africa, with a small DB, and still achieve 2* processing speed.  Obviously it isn't great, but any other setup I've tried over the past few days is 0.5*... 

EDIT: Those of you that load/unload -- do you use "View Only" leagues and then load them?  I would consider turning 5 on and having 5 view-only, as I have a plan for the path I want to take at club level.  Thanks again for the input, everyone!

Edited by jaysdailydose

@jaysdailydose There's no rules or requirements on these issues at all. I don't add any key players. I doubt that others do either. At one point I did add key players in Asia because in FDM15 when i got to the end, the only playable Asian nation was S Korea. (Eventually when i added the Chinese and Australian leagues, those nations became available as well). I think that problem is solved now though. Admittedly, there's currently only 3 playable Asian nations in my save now I check, which does make me a bit worried, but as long as there's more than 1. Honestly though, if you can't manage Japan (and it's perfectly ok to take out the relevant files and make Japan and Germany playable) then Iran, Australia and S Korea are your only real options for winning the Asian Cup; (sorry, China).

Anyway, you don't have to add any players if you don't want to, and I see no reason at all for having view only leagues, or more than 1 or 2 leagues active at any time. You just add and remove leagues as you go. This can give you an advantage as it seems that sometimes when you add a league, a lot of the top jobs are available when it starts, but this is just the way it is. Better than a bug where no jobs ever become available.

I try to only have 3 or 4 nations at most loaded at any time. You want your computer to get through time as quickly as possible.

@Skogmus I know what you mean with the strikers who don't know how to score goals. I mean my strikers do score eventually, but it's more a clock always being correct twice a day situation. If they strike the ball in every possible direction, eventually like a monkey writing Shakespeare, they score. This was more true of my Ivory Coast players.

@blackdevil Glad that staying at Lyon paid off. France certainly can be a challenge of you don't get the PSG job, and I believe very few of us have ever got the PSG job, largely because their manager rarely get sacked or leave.

48 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@jaysdailydose There's no rules or requirements on these issues at all. I don't add any key players. I doubt that others do either. At one point I did add key players in Asia because in FDM15 when i got to the end, the only playable Asian nation was S Korea. (Eventually when i added the Chinese and Australian leagues, those nations became available as well). I think that problem is solved now though. Admittedly, there's currently only 3 playable Asian nations in my save now I check, which does make me a bit worried, but as long as there's more than 1. Honestly though, if you can't manage Japan (and it's perfectly ok to take out the relevant files and make Japan and Germany playable) then Iran, Australia and S Korea are your only real options for winning the Asian Cup; (sorry, China).

Anyway, you don't have to add any players if you don't want to, and I see no reason at all for having view only leagues, or more than 1 or 2 leagues active at any time. You just add and remove leagues as you go. This can give you an advantage as it seems that sometimes when you add a league, a lot of the top jobs are available when it starts, but this is just the way it is. Better than a bug where no jobs ever become available.

I try to only have 3 or 4 nations at most loaded at any time. You want your computer to get through time as quickly as possible.

See, the search I had done earlier didn't have one of your earlier posts from the thread showing you generally started with two.  I think I'll just cut out adding players completely, and just add leagues.  It is late here now, but I'm going to start that save tomorrow.  Thanks buddy.

Edited by jaysdailydose

@vikeologist PSG have been managed by three different managers in my time in France, Rui Vitoria, Antonio Conte and Pep Guardiola so there's been the opportunity to grab the job.  I'm just glad I was able to hold them at bay so I can progress the challenge.  Next stop is Germany and last season's 3rd placed team Bayern.  It's a team I've never managed in all my CM/FM years so looking forward to it, especially the major increase in funds (£168m) compared to Lyon (£50).

Season 6 & 7 Dinamo, Croatia - Ivory Coast - Villanovense, Spain

Sacked by Dinamo in November 2022 with the team in 3rd in the league

2023 was an unbeaten year for the Ivory Coast which included them winning the ACON

Struggled to get a job at all in the end plumping for Spanish second division Villanovense took over with them in 12th ended up finishing 8th

Domestic
Season	Team	       Division			      Position Notes
2017/18 Sibenik        Croatian Second League         8th      Took over with the team in 8th
2018/19 Sibenik        Croatian Second League         1st      Promoted
2019/20 Sibenik        Croatian First League          5th      Qualified for the Europa League
2020/21 Sibenik        Croatian First League          4th      Croatian Cup Winners.
2021/22 Dinamo         Croatian First League          1st      League Winners, Croatian Cup Winners, Europa League runners-up
2022/23 Dinamo         Croatian First League          N/A      Sacked in November
2023/24 Villanovense   Spanish Second Division B4     8th      Joined January 2024
2024/25 Villanovense   Spanish Second Division B4

International
Season  Team          Notes
2022    Ivory Coast   Hired July '22
2023    Ivory Coast   Won ACON
2024    Ivory Coast

Entering The Fray Again!

It took over seven months, but I have finally accepted a managerial position to take my first steps into club football!  Here is my starting managerial profile shot, please remember, I am on FM17!

StartingProfile.thumb.jpg.110e64c5bda6870219facd39033bdf02.jpg

With many thanks to my old friend @vikeologist, I was able to get my computer to load five leagues at solid speed to start, since I wanted to have some options for my first job.  These are what I loaded, and thanks so much Vike.  Dropping the extras from the DB that I ran before my other CPU was destroyed in the flood worked a treat!  I'm going to get that pared down to about three leagues once I am rolling and gathering challenge accomplishments, but I couldn't complain about 3* speed with what I had previously, with my DB additions!  The leagues I have loaded are: England (League Two), Holland (Jupiler League), China (Jia League), South Africa (National First Division), and Mexico (Ascenso MX!)

I placed a total of 16 applications, over the ~7 months -- all the way up to 3* reputation teams.  Cambridge United and Dalian Chaoyue both liked my vision at their interview, but felt I wasn't the right man for the job.  Finally, in late December of 2016 into early January of 2017, I interviewed with Morecambe, while also having apps in with Shanghai Shenxin, and Beijing Beikong.  Morecambe offered me the job in early January, but I wanted to take some time to see if I would be interviewed at either of the Chinese clubs.  Morecambe agreed to delay my response to their job offer, first for one week, and then gave me a second week.  By the time I'd asked for the second extension, I had interviewed with both Shenxin and Beikong.

Before the week ended, I had a choice to make.  All three clubs offered me their managerial position, but Morecambe was in major relegation trouble, being 11 points from safety with 20 fixtures remaining, and propping up the Sky Bet League Two.  I honestly was trying to avoid going to England first, as those that remember me know that I have much history in starting this challenge in England... and with the relegation issues, that narrowed us down to two choices.

Both sides offered me the same rate of pay, so it truly came down to who I thought would be better placed to achieve a quicker promotion to the Chinese Super League.  Beikong's club value was about £5M higher, and they offered a significantly higher wage budget.  The transfer kitty was about the same for both clubs, and both clubs wanted me to sign young players for the first team.  Beikong is expected by the media to finish 5th in the upcoming season, with Shenxin projected to come in 7th.  Finally, even though I haven't been able to keep up with the entire thread, I have read most of it, and I honestly hadn't remembered anyone managing Beijing Beikong -- so they will be the first team I will ever manage in China, in any version of FM.

We sign a two-year pact with Beikong, at £850 per week.  Looking forward to getting into it for the long term, and thanks to the challenge veterans who have welcomed me back, even though I am currently having to play on FM17!  And a special thanks to @vikeologist for the guidance on the leagues loaded, I've never played on a toaster!  Thanks again, my friend!

BeijingBeikong.thumb.jpg.a802625151dac4d31bdce51891c05890.jpg  

Edited by jaysdailydose
Had an incorrect screenshot for leagues, needed removal.

Vikeologist's 2025 Defensor Sporting End of Season Report

th?id=OIP.ukygvh509G8sPYK351zrbQAAAA&pid

I still wasn’t sure how the playoffs / league system worked in Uruguay. I won everything domestically; both stages and the Intermedio, and obviously therefore the overall table, without one single defeat, so if I’d had to play 3 playoff games to earn the league title, I’d have been seriously miffed. Also, I’d have been terrified of one bad result throwing away the work of the whole season.

Luckily though, there were no playoffs.

In the Libertadores we got through the group stage, eliminating River, before going out to Brazilians champions and eventual losing finalists Gremio. Late in the second leg against Gremio, despite being a man down, we were actually ahead on away goals, and this may make it sound as though we could have won the competition. That is manifestly not true. It would take years (if ever) for Defensor to win the Libertadores. 

So, I’m going to leave, and it may take some time for a suitable job to crop up.

I still think I’m going to have to suck it up and manage a club in Brazil, but given that it’s now November, I’m in no hurry to find a job there and have to play the endless stream of regional matches before things get meaningful.

I have the Argentinian league loaded up, but looking at the players in the squads of the big teams there, I’d have to bring in quite a few new players in positions that I need for my tactics.

I should have loaded up some of the big European leagues during the (northern hemisphere) summer to give me the option of going there now, and if a job doesn’t come up by next summer, that may be an option.

Top Goalscorer – Nicolás Suárez– 50 An on-loan striker from Independiente

Top Average Rating – Nicolás Suárez– 7.95

Man of the Match – Nicolás Suárez – 9

MVP – Nicolás Suárez

Internationally, having become Ghana manager again, we have comfortably qualified for next year’s World Cup.

Domestic
19	Shanghai Shenxin		9th	
24	Defensor Sporting (Uruguay)	2nd		Took over half way through season. Won Closing Stage and First Division Playoff. Lost Championship Playoff.
25	Defensor Sporting		1st		Won Opening and Closing Stages and Intermedio (cup). Unbeaten domestically. 

International
24-25	Ivory Coast			ACON semifinals
25-	Ghana

Challenge Progress 12/33

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues 		(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay)		
 4/10 domestic cups 			(China, S Africa, Mexico, Uruguay)						

International
 0/2 world tournaments 

Vikeologist's 2026 Ghana World Cup Report 

Image result for ghana flying visit

I appreciate I have no realistic chance of winning with Ghana, but I figure I may as well do a report. My main interest in this World Cup is hopefully finding a club job afterwards. Even getting to the second round would be an achievement.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Ghana 3-2 Portugal          

Ghana 0-2 South Korea

Ghana 3-3 Poland

A series of highs and lows that ended with us failing to progress on goal difference.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

After The Tournament

Spoiler

No luck with club jobs, but after the World Cup I was offered the South Korea, Nigeria and Australia jobs. I think Nigeria is the best African nation, but with the once every 4 years Asian Cup, that I need to get, less than a year away, I’m going to go to South Korea. I’m jilting you again, Ghana.

Vikeologist's 2027 South Korea Asian Cup Report 

Image result for south korea badge

I’ve been without a club job for more than a year. I’ve lowered my standards way, way down, but don’t even offered interviews by even the worst clubs in the leagues I have loaded. I’m relying on winning this Asian Cup, (and then quitting international management for the moment) so I can get a job.

The trouble is that S Korea don’t have many players. I have no right wingbacks at all, and the few right backs are really bad, so I’ll go with using left wingbacks or right wingers. I tried to add the S Korea league, but it wouldn’t kick in until after I have to make my initial squad selection.

I started with a medium database, so, going back to what I was discussing a few posts back, maybe it is a good idea to add some players to Asian nations when we start. Still, nobody else has really mentioned this problem.

Group Stage

Spoiler

South Korea 5-0 India

South Korea 8-0 Kyrgyzstan

South Korea 3-1 Uzbekistan

Spoiler

South Korea 4-0 Saudi Arabia

Spoiler

South Korea 3-3p China

China were the better side. I thought we might fluke a victory when we went ahead in extra time, but we couldn’t hold them off and only scored 1 of our first 4 penalties.

Spoiler

Spoiler

After The Tournament

Spoiler

I was either going to quit in triumph or quit before I was sacked, and I will definitely be sacked if I don’t jump first. This challenge was going well, but it’s the usual disaster internationally. (8 senior international jobs, and 1 trophy towards the challenge). Hopefully I’ll be able to get a decent club job and start to recover from this plane crash.

Edited by vikeologist

@vikeologist When I was managing South Korea I only had about 27 players to choose from for my squads.  I still had the Chinese league loaded at the time but I don't know if it made a difference and it's why I've kept the Mexican league loaded while I wait for that job to become available.

Speaking of international management I've got my first national job in three years.  After the 2030 world cup finished many jobs became available and I applied for the USA and Italy jobs which were both offered to me so now I'm the manager of Italy, solely to help me become fluent in Italian to aid getting a club job there when I've finished in Germany...as well as having a shot at the Euro's in two year time.  I'm hoping that I'll get the chance in the future to get the job of world cup runners up Mexico when I'm done with before finishing the international scene with my managers nation Argentina...we'll see how that pans out.

Season 2025/26 Review - Boca Juniors 

150px-Boca_Juniors_2012_svg.png.e5bf1372d43673c6872065df130886d5.png

My move from USA to Argentina and my first truly "big club" in my career. Boca had actually been relegated to the 2nd division a couple years back and this was their first season back in the top flight (the job was only available as when I activated the 2nd division they didn't have a manager) so wasn't too sure what to expect. A consequence of being out of the top flight was no Copa Libertadores for us.

In The Copa Argentina we were already in the 7th round when I took over meaning we only had 3 games to win to get to the final. A nervy affair saw us beat Racing 2-0 for my first trophy in South America.

The league was a little different as we started slowly ( as my teams tend to do when getting used to my system) with an opening record of P7 W3 D1 L3 but then we found some form going unbeaten till the end of the year. The last game before the winter break saw us lose to rival's River Plate allowing them back into the title race. A slow start after winter (a draw and a loss coming out of the break) meant it became a proper title race between us and River with us swapping the lead several times. With 6 games to go we were joint top with River and the next match? Home to River. An early goal from wonderkid Inaki Guede gave us a HT lead. A mistake from Perez allowed River to make it 1-1 but then 2 late goals saw us win 3-1 and have a 3 point lead with 5 to go. Both sides won their next 2 before River blinked after we had won. It meant we only needed 2 points from our final 2 games to win the league. We didn't even need that as River lost home before we played again handing us the title

It was an unexpected triumph in the end but one I'm happy to take. We also claimed the Supercopa Argentina after the cup win meaning we actually won a domestic treble. I had lots of moves in the transfer market (and made a profit) as I moved on ageing players and replaced with younger ones. We're still 2 or 3 guys away from being a squad I'm happy with but that's now the target for this summer.

Career Overview

Season	Team				Country			Position		Notes & Achievements

2017/18	Ubuntu Cape Town		South Africa		1st			Promotion
2018/19	Ubuntu Cape Town		South Africa		7th 
2019/20	Orlando Pirates			South Africa		4th 			Won, CAF Confederations Cup, CAF Super Cup & MTN8 cup	
2020/21	Orlando Pirate			South Africa		1st			League winners, Nedbank Cup Winners, Tolkom Cup Winners, CAF Confederations and Super Cup winners
2021/22	Orlando Pirates			South Africa		1st 			League winners, Nedbank Cup winners, Tolkom Cup winners	
2022/23	Orlando Pirates			South Africa		1st 			MTN8 winners and Champions League winners		
2023	Guangzhou EverGrande		China			1st 			League Winners, Champions League winners, Cup winners
2024	Atlanta United			USA			11th 			MLS winners
2025	Atlanta United			USA			4th 			NACL Winners
2025/26	Boca Juniors			Arg			1st			League winners, Cup winners and super cup winners

International

Year	Country			Notes & Achievements 

2017	Australia U23		Asian U23 Champions
2019	China			Asian Cup Winners
2019/20 Egypt 			African Nations Championship Winners
2020/21 Egypt			African Cup of Nations Winners

Challenge Progress

Club
4/10 top domestic leagues – South Africa 2021 (Orlando Pirates), China 2023 (Guangzhou), USA 2024 (Atlanta United), Argentina 2026 (Boca Juniors)
3/10 domestic cups – South Africa 2021 (Orlando Pirates), China 2023 (Guangzhou), Argentina 2026 (Boca Juniors)
3/5 club continental championships – Africa 2022 (Orlando Pirates), Asia 2023 (Guangzhou), North America 2025 (Atlanta United)

International
2/5 continental tournaments - Asian Cup Winners 2019 (China), Cup of Nations 2021 (Egypt)
0/2 world tournaments ()

What's Next?

Well the Copa Lib starts in Feb of next year so I'll stay for that, however I am on the lookout for a job in Brazil to a) try and add the domestic cup I missed in the USA and b) win the Copa Lib a little quicker. Am happy to stay here for now though and maybe more than 1 season at a club might be a good idea as it's been a while since I did that. It's also a world cup summer so should be some decent jobs up after that, hoping for one of the real big boys (or USA/Mexico) but not sure if my rep of 75% is enough for them yet. We shall see.