I am at a total loss as to why I didn't win this game...

If you're going to show stats (something I don't like as it doesn't tell the whole story), at least include half chances, long range shots and blocked shots. Your team had a poor game here.

If you're going to show stats (something I don't like as it doesn't tell the whole story), at least include half chances, long range shots and blocked shots. Your team had a poor game here.

Shockingly poor. This isn't a complaint, just a frustration at what can happen, this is totally realistic! Anyway, here's my shot analysis. My absolute favourite is the one then ends up near the bench rather than the goal. I was playing a 19 year old in his 2nd appearance ever (great stats though) and a world class striker coming back from injury (and injured on 31 mins).

gatesheadshots_zpsvnj5yorl.jpg

Most of the long shots came from 70+ mins when I went Shoot on Sight. Most of their chances came towards the end of the game as I pushed higher up hoping a player would eventually score. Oh well, always next season... Just one of those games where nothing really goes your way and their keeper was in great form. As for the corners, I've no idea what was going on...

Haha, cheers, although I do have some complaints! Can't win every game though and what's the point in playing if you expect every game is yours for the taking? Been playing FM too long to know its just "I should win because this".

They were sitting so, so deep, totally compacting the box so my quick passing game between my top 3 was totally useless then the stikers either drop back and the midfielders push up and just fire shots from behind any distance behind the box. Tried going wider, narrower, direct, quick tempo, slow tempo, everything... strikers just had a shocker.

So in hindsight, Shoot on Sight was a bad idea against a packed defence.

Yep, especially when your players are having a bad day in front of goal. And pushing up much higher plus attacking left the back totally exposed. I was just so dominant (had 60% possession until about 60/70mins that I was expecting a goal so pushed up higher and higher until we got caught. Wasn't my first team anyway, mainly squad players and a new youngster.

For cup games against lowly teams I usually play my youth team, as long as they have high work rate and high determination and decent enough, then why not play them?

Usually win most cup games, plus gives the first team a break, and lets me see who's playing well when given their chance.

It's backfired a few times, but mostly it's good.

Bit of a tactical masterclass from Sheff W, clinical.

I would consider a lower mentality against sides you should be beating, at least until you've figured out what they are doing.

Also, your set-pieces might need a look, 23 corners, I'd hope for a goal, or at least a clear idea of why they weren't producing good chances.

It was just "one of those games".

Here is a real life example. Look at the stats at the bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24792963

Yes Krul had a blinder that day.:( anyway we got revenge with a big away win later in the season. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26043687 and the stats looked more even but the keeper didn't have a blinder.

I saw it mentioned before, but all too often people push up against 'weaker' teams. I've tried this in the past, considering I played as Ajax I felt I could overrule any defense. Boy was I wrong... The best thing to do really is to sit back slightly (standard/counter mentality) and high tempo, pass into space, more direct passing. At least that's what worked for me most of the time.

If I feel I am the better team, my defense should be better than their offense. Ergo, I'll regain possession more often than I'll let chances through. When going up 1-0 or 2-0, more space appears between the midfield and their defense. With that in mind I start to pass the ball through their lines trying to spot that opening :).

Unlucky with the loss, but that stuff just happens :)

Archived