How do you increase Manager Attributes?

I wanted to do a real 'start from the bottom' game, so I made myself unemployed with no badges and no playing experience. So obviously I didn't really have too many attribute points to assign to myself.

But how do I raise my attributes going forward? I assume my coaching attributes will increase as I get my coaching badges, but what about my mental attributes, how can I increase them?

I'm 2 months into a job doing the same thing as you, i.e. no badges and Sunday League playing experience. I haven't taken any coaching courses (my board won't let me) but my attacking coaching attribute has gone up by 1 point as well as my youngster knowledge. So it looks like both sides can increase just through experience.

I'm 2 months into a job doing the same thing as you, i.e. no badges and Sunday League playing experience. I haven't taken any coaching courses (my board won't let me) but my attacking coaching attribute has gone up by 1 point as well as my youngster knowledge. So it looks like both sides can increase just through experience.

Best time to do coaching courses is end-of-season after the players go on vacation. If the board mentions you're too valuable to take attention away from coaching, drop all your coaching responsibilities before asking (and then put them back).

The mental/tactical side goes up through experience and repution increases.

Guest El Payaso

How important are the attributes generally?

I started my save with Oviedo in beta and that means that my attributes will never increase even after coaching qualifications and my 'world class' manager is still crap (sunday league footballer with no coaching qualifications in the beginning). How much better would my team perform if I actually had better motivating skills than 1?

Is the only reason to not put them both to full straight away for the realism? Im starting in league 2 and have just ticked the boxes so it automatically sets how a manager at that club would usually be qualified/playing experience but i could have just set it to max. Will it just be too easy in that division with everything set high or is the challenge more enjoyable when realistic.

I guess i answered my own question in there somewhere but jeff knows.

I started with Continental pro licence + sunday league footballer. After one season (108 points in the Championship with Fulham) my coaching stats improved a lot, but my mental stats haven't. Which is quite frustrating, because a lot of my players are complaining about my team talks, and the board treat me like an idiot (my assistant manager earns more than me!)

How do I ask to go on a coaching course to boost my attributes? I dont see the option when speaking to the board, do I find it somewhere else?

Thanks

It's in the "My Profile" dropdown on the "Home" tab near "Retire" and "Go on holiday".

i'm 9 seasons into a save where I begun as Sunday league with no qualifications and I now have all my badges.... I would say that your ratings get a boost every time you complete a coaching qualification and your success in the game. eg if you are a rampant attacking side your attack rating would be higer than your defensive

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread for some analysis. I started with Semi-Pro experience, a National C license, and mostly 1's in Coaching Attributes, a 5 in Tactical being the only outlier. After two seasons and advancement to a Continental C license, my Coaching Attributes have increased to:

AC: 4

DC: 3

FC: 4

GK: 4

TaC: 7

TeC: 3

MC: 7

Yo: 1

All of this time I have only personally been coaching Tactics, which went up the least, while Mental Coaching increased by 6. On the Mental Attributes side, the only areas that have increased have been Player Knowledge (+2), Man Management (+1), and Motivating (+1). I handle all of the Team Talks and they're usually pretty successful, so that's kind of disappointing (Man Management and Motivating both started at 10).

Just more data for the data pool.

• 6 months later...
So has anyone been able to figure out how to reliably raise mental attributes? It looks like Level of Discipline is especially important now since it affects player unhappiness. Is always starting as international footballer the only way to get it high enough?

Personally I don't like the mental attributes being tied to reputation. So for me, I just go with the highest reputation and skew things that way.

• 1 month later...
They should seriously consider to decouple it for mental attributes.

So I am stuck with the worst mental attributes?

I feel like I have wasted my time with this game. I don't to start managing the lowest greek tier with the highest reputation and 1 adaptability for life? fm16

• 2 years later...

It increases over time, it takes long time I think less than 10 points per year/season.

Determination, Discipline and Motivation as far as I know they dont increase or if they do very very little (1 point).

Badges helps on increasing attributes, but coaches need 'potential' (Potential Ability minus Current Ability should have some gap) to complete the courses. As you have 200 potential probably you will be able to complete all your courses. But we cant say the same for the coaches you hire.

My determination increased to 5 from 2 in the first season. Just speculation here but it says that it increases the chance of you getting what you want with the board so it might increase that way too.

Motivation increased to 5 from 1 too. I've been praised by my players post-match on occasion when I do an aggressive talk after disappointing first half (and they ended up winning).

Working with youngsters, level of discipline, and adaptability haven't increased yet. I've managed my youth squad for a whole season and started at english club with german nationality. Haven't had that much chance of disciplining players (did it 10-20 times throughout the season).

FM17. No license and experience start. Currently National B licence.

outside of assisting on the training pitch as a coach

I don't think the stats really have all that much impact for the player

the npc managers will be hampered by low stats, but we get the options to work around them so we can mostly always go the best route whether its in man management, motivating or whatever.

with a motivation rating of 1 it should be almost impossible to get any player fired up

but if you chose the right team talk options its really easy to do

Archived