Does my AM actually have a clue?

Playing a long term game (now in 2021/22 season) and my Ass Man has just told me in a pre-match meeting that I should drop two of my players due to poor form.

That's great. Except I've got 6 first teams players out injured, could only name 6 subs in my last match due to other players playing in the reserves and being ineligible and in the next match, I can only choose youngsters with 1.5 stars max to play away against the team second in the league.

I don't think it's a bug. Just an annoyance and once that I'm glad to have gotten off my chest. Now, back to the guy who wants a "performance related" pay raise despite the fact he's only averaging 6.5. :)

The Backroom Advice in this game hasn't been good for a while. They suggest that you offer new contracts to players you just bought and they tell you to keep players you want to sell. I can't believe they haven't done something about this.

About the only thing I like in the backroom advice is every once in a while, they recommend a good signing that I did not notice anywhere else... that seems to only occur in the lower leagues though. In higher leagues the only potential signings they seem to offer (at least in FM '13) are mid tier guys at best.

About the only thing I like in the backroom advice is every once in a while, they recommend a good signing that I did not notice anywhere else... that seems to only occur in the lower leagues though. In higher leagues the only potential signings they seem to offer (at least in FM '13) are mid tier guys at best.

Once in a while they recommend good staff too, very rare for me though.

All the ass man is good for is doing stuff you don't want to do like press conf and opp instr. Well, he also rates your team and do some training so that's kind of important...

But whenever your ass man gives you a piece of advice and you don't know what to do - do the opposite. That approach have worked well for me throughout the different versions of FM...

(I'm not too sure about FM15, though, as I have mostly played FMC)

They keep wanting to train Dripple Along Right/Left to my Striker and DC, that one is new to me.

My main concern with the horrible staff is, if it's this bad for us, doesn't it mean we get extremely underperformance of AI teams if they actually do all there choices based on this idiocy. Not much challenge in beating Dumb and Dumber teams.

The FM Assistant Manager is like a toddler; just constantly talking and saying things for the sake of it. Absolutely no thought process goes in to anything he says or recommends.

The match is just as hilarious; if you followed all his advice you'd substitute your entire team by half time and change tactical instructions constantly for 90 minutes.

I get a lot of in game shouts from my AM telling me my team is getting overrun in midfield yet I have had a lot more possession in that part of the pitch.

Of course I ignore it and I have to keep telling him that its my team and I know best.

I ignore all coaches/ass man advise because they haven't got a clue as you've all realised, tbh I'm surprised this part of the game hasn't been overhauled this past couple of years because it is slightly ridiculous at times.

I agree the am is stupid he tells me I should remove the player I want to sell and then tells me I should remove a player from taking penalties yet hes one of the best penalty takers on my team! also shout outs in my match witch just ruin my tactics I never listen.

'still has something to offer the 1st team'

Yeah, he's awesome in that vital role of making the bench once the entire season and eating up 10% of my miniscule wage bill. I only wish I had a whole team of him :rolleyes:

Then there's the conflicting in-match advice. The moaning about one aspect, which you alter, whereupon he immediately starts moaning about the polar opposite. The 'suggested team talks' which if you're stupid enough to pay attention to utterly destroy team morale. These aren't mediocre coaches/AM's either. It's the same for the best guys in the game.

Backroom advice is just that - advice. It does not take into account the big picture. Think of it like this: each staff member looks at something, sees a problem, and decides it should be fixed. They then come to you, tell you the problem, tell you their solution, and that's that. Their job is done.

Your job is determining whether, as part of the big picture, it's actually a problem, whether it needs fixing, and whether their solution is viable. Of course a lot of the time, it isn't. In real life, you'd be talking to your staff regularly and they'd know your wants/needs, but this is a game, and you can't, so they don't.

Then there's the conflicting in-match advice. The moaning about one aspect, which you alter, whereupon he immediately starts moaning about the polar opposite. The 'suggested team talks' which if you're stupid enough to pay attention to utterly destroy team morale. These aren't mediocre coaches/AM's either. It's the same for the best guys in the game.

Actually the in-match advice is also fine. They suggest you should play it shorter because short passing is working well; they suggest going direct because the players who are passing shorter are losing the ball too often. Of course, these are simple solutions. It's up to you, again, to see the bigger picture. If the assman leans over in the dugout and says "we're losing the ball too often, we should look to play shorter passes", then you, as the boss, shake your head and say "Nah, what we need to do is play narrower and push a little higher up so that the playing space is smaller and they're forced to sit deeper. If they keep pressing the same way, we'll be able to get in behind them."

Again it's realistic. His job isn't to do your job. His job is to point out defects and problems and suggest solutions. Yours is to understand the game and to make the calls based on what he tells you and what you see.

Or you can just do what I do and pay no attention whatsoever because you're already aware of all the problems because you pay avid, ridiculous levels of attention to the stats and watch every game in full. >.>

Incidentally the team talk advice is often rubbish if they have poor Motivating. It's often perfectly fine if they have high Motivating and is in fact a great starting template, but you have to be aware of the finer details, which is what, in-game, you, as the manager, are paid to do!

If the AI staff ever actually got it right I'd understand your argument, but then you leave team-talks, press conferences, even scheduling to them, and they make a rip-roaring shambles of it every single time. I've never found one who is even half-way competent, and that's at all levels not just the seaside leagues.

Perhaps their talks and instructions are actually appropriate and it's how the players respond to them which is flawed. I'd like to know why though, when I find it hilariously easy to motivate my players who, because of a strict recruitment policy, are all highly professional and dedicated individuals, yet my AM somehow contrives to tick them all off every time I give him a chance to do the simple stuff.

The answer to that is to do it all yourself, which, really, in my opinion, you ought to be doing anyway. Can't expect to squeeze maximum performance out of the team if you're sat in the office with your feet up watching cartoons all day while everyone else runs everything for you.

I do all these things myself, always have, but there isn't really any option. That's beside the point, which is the AI staff are bumbling incompetents if you give them any sort of leeway. It detracts from the immersion. It's totally unrealistic to suggest real-life managers don't allow their staff any involvement in these aspects of the game in any case. Managers wouldn't actually have staff if that were the case. They'd be entirely redundant and a pointless expense.

Of course, but the job of the staff is to bring solutions and the manager's job is to pick the ones that fit, or select their own. The staff then go away and implement those solutions. It's like with a general. He doesn't fight the battles, but has a staff to inform him, to play devil's advocate, to make suggestions, to create implementations and plans - and he'll select from those OR implement his own tactics, depending on the situation. Sometimes he'll literally just be picking from two or three options put together by his staff, just like a football manager and just like those backroom staff meetings where they come to you and tell you about things happening at the club and things they think will help move the club forwards. You can implement them if you agree, or discard them if you don't, but the call is yours. In all honesty it doesn't necessarily even matter if all the ideas are good ones: sometimes they're going to be inane. In real life of course you'd give your employee a talking to for being a dorky useless waste of space, but...

"Doing it all yourself" is really just telling your staff to implement your solutions, whether on match day or in training or in setting up contract talks or whatever. It's just that it doesn't necessarily "feel" that way.

Archived