[official] Football Manager 2009 - Some MLS changes

MLS is a complicated system as it's based on franchise, like pretty much everything in the North American sports world... hopefully someday they'll understand that you can't hope to be competitive by changing virtually your whole roster every year and neglecting continental competitions lol (that's how you get kicked out by teams from T&T or Panama).

Regarding the game itself, those license issues are what makes MLS one of the least re-playable leagues. Because so many things change from one year to another ! New teams, defunct ones, ...

The only time I finished a season in MLS was when I switched one of the teams for Montreal lol... and even then, I had to edit my team and give USA as a second nation to all my players.

I pray for USL and CSL to be included some day soon lol :D looking at TFC roster, I think the only way to actually win competitions with more than two Canadian players on the pitch is to play in the Canadian league :) ... or with the Impact or Vancouver in the USL.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe when the competition's winner is admitted into the newly founded Canadian Championship !

Right now the teams that compete for the national title are Montreal and Vancouver from the USL and Toronto from MLS... the winner of the national league can't even participate in the competition that names the Canadian national champion. That means if you play in the CSL, you can only play CSL games... no way for you to play in continental cups.

I hope the USL will be added, because they are almost the only clubs you can send players on loan to (As a MLS team) and they only play matches in the preseason so you players will not get any better, infact they get better if you let them stay on your reserve team as it is right now, if SI will not add the USL, atleast make them play matches vs each other so you can loan out players and see some improvements.

MLS needed a lot of work. It is so different from the rest of the footballing world that to make it realistic probably takes more code than any other league. One thing about it though is that if it gets sorted properly it will become a real challenge for football manager fans. the restrictions on who you can sign and the draft make it real tough.

English fans might do well to pay attention to the mls because i think it is very likely that the prem league ends up in a franchise model in the next ten years. There is too much money at stake for the big teams to risk relegation. Your going to see a set number of teams at maybe 18-20 in the bpl. Those teams will then set up deals with the lower league teams and set up farm systems like mlb has.

Thanks SI for the extra effort that has been made on MLS this year, it's the only league I really play so I hope to have more fun playing FM09 than I did with FM08!

Any chance of confirming if the problem with developmental contracts (i.e. becoming 'senior developmental' after a year-which doesn't happen IRL) has been dealt with?

I'd love to be able to play in teh USL as well, imo the MSL is dumb and should crash and burn lol (ok maybe not). But the MLS ruling winds that league. Uclazy, the teams that have something to loose itn eh peremiership won't go down anyways because they earn too much money and thus have too much quality players to be relegated. They doesn't need an american model, their system has been working for well over 100 years, it has proved itself as a working model.

I have two simple, perhaps dumb questions, but they need answers too!

First, the usual: I've been playing this game since CM03/04, 7 seasons+ network back then. Since I've been hooked, buying CM or FM on the release day (or earlier), so I'm addicted.

But now I have an issue. I have moved from Norway to the US, and here the local retailers are selling World Wide Soccer Manager 2009 from November 1st.

Is the WWSM09 the same as FM09?

I have also switched to Mac (don't ask, it is NOT better, rather equally crappy) - will my MacBook Pro running WWSM09 be compatible for network gaming with my Norwegian friends who run PC and FM09?

Thank you

I have two simple, perhaps dumb questions, but they need answers too!

First, the usual: I've been playing this game since CM03/04, 7 seasons+ network back then. Since I've been hooked, buying CM or FM on the release day (or earlier), so I'm addicted.

But now I have an issue. I have moved from Norway to the US, and here the local retailers are selling World Wide Soccer Manager 2009 from November 1st.

Is the WWSM09 the same as FM09?

I have also switched to Mac (don't ask, it is NOT better, rather equally crappy) - will my MacBook Pro running WWSM09 be compatible for network gaming with my Norwegian friends who run PC and FM09?

Thank you

1. I believe WWSM09 is the same game as FM09, just a different title

perhaps different wording but nothing drastic

2. I presume a network game will be the same, its the exact same game just a different title

the make of your computer wont affect things either, its one big world, not everyone runs on the windows or mac do they?

but you get your game 2 weeks earlier, nice one

Will there be any tweaks made to the squads/numbering? Namely, will we be able to choose whether or not to place a player or Injured Reserve? MLS rules dictate that a player on IR can't be waived, that his salary must still be paid (though not counting against the cap) and, most importantly, a roster spot is opened up to sign a replacement. For instance I just played a season and my best striker was injured in August and was out for 4 months, meaning he missed the rest of the season. In real life, I could have signed a replacement for him, but with my roster already at 28 players I had to carry on the rest of the season short a man.

This thread hasn't exactly filled me with confidence.

It would be nice to have some of these questions answered, but the very existence of this thread leads me to believe that SI have listened to the problems about MLS in FM08 and are attempting to do something about it....

...fingers crossed.

This thread hasn't exactly filled me with confidence.

None of these official threads have filled me with confidence.

Posting them so soon, then nobody from SI taking thetime to answer the series of questions makes me question them.

If they are so busy, why bother to post them so soon before the blogs?

Will there be expansions in the new version ie Seattle Sounders joining in '09, and Philly in 2010?

No - SI have explained previously that the way the MLS sells its license, that is not possible. The license is apparently for the league as it stands at the specific season licensed for. Its a real shame, honestly - I think its a bit short-sighted, actually.

• SI Staff

There's actually more to this than Miles has indicated (a good thing!)...lots of time to go through them all.

Plenty of improvements in MLS this coming version, as well as a clean up on the issues that were around for FM08.

There's a ton of stuff in here...I'm sure lots will be elaborated on in the very near future. But yeah, squad related issues like numbering, waivers, contracts, trades and other things have received a lot of attention.

For the person askign about Renken - he can't be in until he signs a pro deal with the league or abroad. He's an amateur athlete and there's all sorts of issues relating to that.

I'd love Seattle's expansion to be in, but it's been said many times - the license doesn't cover it.

MLS is going to be miles better this year with some really key additions.

The US run footbal, yes football just like Basketball and they're both a world away from each other. How do you trade? who with? The whole process is bizarre, I've seen players 4 yrs at a club where the message still reads "1st draft pick option held by Kansas". How? He's been gone for 4 years!!

Will SI make a short description in game, or the booklet on how the MLS works? All this talk about waivers, drafts and first picks etc goes right over my head when I try to play, so just turn it off.

Alijarov used to have a great little "MLS Short Guide" - I don't know where its hosted, now, but it would be great if he could donate that to SI so SI could include it in-game in some way. If you can find it, it did an excellent job of explaining all the vagaries of the MLS system, some of which are pretty obscure even to Americans familiar with the other U.S. sports leagues.

There's actually more to this than Miles has indicated (a good thing!)...lots of time to go through them all.

Plenty of improvements in MLS this coming version, as well as a clean up on the issues that were around for FM08.

There's a ton of stuff in here...I'm sure lots will be elaborated on in the very near future. But yeah, squad related issues like numbering, waivers, contracts, trades and other things have received a lot of attention.

For the person askign about Renken - he can't be in until he signs a pro deal with the league or abroad. He's an amateur athlete and there's all sorts of issues relating to that.

I'd love Seattle's expansion to be in, but it's been said many times - the license doesn't cover it.

MLS is going to be miles better this year with some really key additions.

Concacaf Champions League??

• SI Staff
Will SI make a short description in game, or the booklet on how the MLS works? All this talk about waivers, drafts and first picks etc goes right over my head when I try to play, so just turn it off.

I usually make an MLS Player's Guide...and plan to again this version. My new affiliate site is unlikely to be up and running so I'll find somewhere to host it. You're right, the rules are CONFUSING...the guide helps...

• SI Staff

I really wish the USL was in, but it's not in this version either. Best advice I can give is all those that want USL in to make as much noise as possible...Lord knows I've been championing the cause since I got involved as HR. In my opinion it's the most needed feature to make the US/MLS gaming experience complete and rounded...the lack of the USL stiffles the opportunity to play any kind of LLM. Having the USL in would also add playable teams in Puerto Rico, Bermuda and triple the number of playable Canadian teams, not to mention adding major US market teams like Seattle, Miami, Minnesota, Portland etc....

Maybe someone (other than me) should start a petition or something? That would be a good way to show that there really is support in numbers for the idea and not just a few squeaky wheels? Anyone up for getting the ball rolling?

I'd much prefer SI really get a handle on the MLS before trying to add the USL. The improvements being implemented sound good now, but I'll have a hard time forgetting how terrible the league was in the first two versions of 08, considering the league in 07 was workable (drafts excluded, of course!)

I usually make an MLS Player's Guide...and plan to again this version. My new affiliate site is unlikely to be up and running so I'll find somewhere to host it. You're right, the rules are CONFUSING...the guide helps A LOT...

Corrected, my friend. ;)

I'd much prefer SI really get a handle on the MLS before trying to add the USL. The improvements being implemented sound good now, but I'll have a hard time forgetting how terrible the league was in the first two versions of 08, considering the league in 07 was workable (drafts excluded, of course!)

Actually, USL has many advantages over MLS

1. Easy structure

2. No draft

3. No salary cap

4. Lax foreigner rule

If anything USL WILL generate more interest because many Europeans will have no problem managing in it, since the rules are very simple.

Too bad SI dropped this league - it used to be in CM01/02 if I recall correctly.

Archived