• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

torino.png

October 2018

Serie A Results

A52gyvZ.png

Perfect month.

A trip to Pescara faced us to start the month but things got off to a great start with Dario Silvestri scoring his first ever goal for the club! A huge moment for the future star, scoring at only 17 in his first ever club start. Not bad, huh? Neal Maupay made it 0-2 on the 60th minute and then Pescara equalised with a little over 10 minutes remaining. A good win for us meant that we quickly stopped our bad-ish form (no wins in previous two).

A home tie against newly promoted Bari was up next. We went into it with a lot of confidence, and why shouldn't we? We hadn't won in our last two home league games but Bari aren't very good, to put it bluntly. Denswil found the net again, proving himself a formidable box-threat from setpieces. Jimenez then popped up to continue his fine form and then he laid it on a plate for Angelo Ronga, who followed Dario Silvestri in the previous game by scoring his first ever club goal. Silvestri, Ronga and Dominici all new boys to the first team, all scoring early in the season :) Like a proud father :D

Next up we faced Cagliari. Away. The stuff of nightmares haha. We had zero shots in the first half to their 9. By full-time it was 15-12, so it's fair to say we came out and put in a strong second half. Ciro came up trumps and found himself a seven minute hattrick. Swell. Unfortunately he got injured as well and is out for 3 weeks. He hasn't been playing well as of late so it was nice for him to finally score. Just a shame about the injury. Sod's law I guess.

To end the month, we had 1st v 20th. Full of confidence after a solid undefeated domestic month, i was imagining cricket scores in my head. Instead we limped to a 1-0. Belotti got on the scoresheet early and then the game sort of petered out quickly. We weren't threatened much but we looked devoid of ideas going forward. Ciro's injury no doubt playing a part in that.

The perfect month leaves things looking good:

IJA5OMX.png

Champions League

tbLtADN.png

The first game of the month and our first CL fixture of the month was a home tie against Zenit. And boy, did it go well. Jiménez gave us an early lead and we went into half time at 1-0, but things changed quickly as Zenit scored early in the second half. Things weren't going well so a couple of changes were necessary, but as I made them we made it 2-1 courtesy of Maupay winning and dispatching a penalty. We then got another not long after but newly-introducing and usual-taker El Neny took it this time, hitting it in his usual top left to make it 3-1. I was more than happy for things to die out at this point but Belotti couldn't resist and we went up 4-1, giving us our first ever win in the Champions League. Chuffed, to say the least.

We followed that with a trip to Portugal where I had a bit of confidence following our win over Zenit. Porto did manage to hold Arsenal to a draw in Porto though, so I was understandably wary. Ciro scored right before half-time to make it 0-1. We basically got the only breakthrough available - the game had been very quiet and even until this point. Unfortunately, things went south quickly from here. Porto came flying out and we managed just one shot in the second half. We couldn't cope. No matter where they came from, they got chances. It could have ended 5-1, seriously. They made it 1-1 just after the hour mark courtesy of a Carlos header (he looks a very good player). Things seemed to be heading to a 1-1 with Porto squandering all of their chances and then tiring themselves out, but on the 89th minute, Carlos popped up again to nab the draw. Gutting!

The Champions League Group D Table:

GxxMXo9.png

Overall Thoughts

Five wins in six games is not to be sniffed at. I am extremely happy with our league form and the CL results weren't all bad, although hanging on to the draw in Portugal would've been huge for us. Zenit managed to win in St Petersburg against Arsenal so it leaves me in a precarious situation. We can still qualify obviously, especially if we win our home games, but I was sorta hoping one team would be marked out as 'dead weight' so we could make it a three way battle. As it stands, it's all four teams still in contention. 1st as likely as 4th at the minute I guess.

The league couldn't have gone better. Maybe some more goals against Empoli but whatever. The win against Cagliari was HUGE and I am so happy with it. Our first half was dire - the worst of any half we've ever had (even worse than going down against Fiorentina 1-5 or whatever it was) - but we recovered so well in the second half. Four straight victories puts us top and, if I have anything to do with it, we won't be giving it up any time soon. We'll be trying to keep it up with these fixtures:

Udinese [A], Porto [H], Catania [H], Roma [A], Arsenal [H]

The three league games are not easy. Udinese and Roma could feasibly take six points from us. Catania shouldn't be difficult, as they are newly promoted. Having said that, they are the sort of team we struggle against - smaller side who like to park the bus and force us to create something (hello, Empoli!). I expect only 4 points from a possible 9, but if we can get more then I'll take it and run :D

In the Champions League, with two home ties, I want to win both. Porto should be beatable (if we recreate our first half in Portugal then we'll do well) and Arsenal, although a good side, shouldn't be able to come to Turin and walk all over us. Especially if they can't win in Russia or in Portugal. I'd be disappointed to lose anything against them, but I guess that depending on other results, a draw might not be too bad.

My final point before I conclude this month is of interest to kingjericho ;)Agustín Jiménez is doing the business this season. I would be lying if I said I expected this, though. He did pretty well for us last season but nothing like he's been doing so far this season. Been a revelation. Easily our best player from the first two months. Long may it continue!

Cheers fella.

They've dropped to second seeds in the CL which isn't great for them as it means they start getting groups against the likes of Arsenal and obviously down the years that has further knock-on effects. It seems like they might get out of the CL group, but their final game of the groups is a trip to London so there's every chance that they fail to qualify. At the expense of me?

...you'll have to wait and see! Update coming shortly.

torino.png

November 2018

Serie A Results

Zf00k9n.png

Aimed for four points, hit seven points!

The first of the month was away to Udinese, a place where our results have been good (under me, anyway). We won 0-2 here last season and the season before was actually my first ever game in charge of il Toro, as we won 2-5. This time things didn't go so well. We were trailing, then we equalised, then we took the lead, then they equalised, then we were trailing! Fellaini popped up with his first ever goal for the club and what a goal it was. 25 yards out, dipped just under the bar and into the top corner. Beautiful. A shame to throw away a lead but we did well to rally back despite that loss of lead. Dzagoev also scored his first of the season, from a deadball situation. A beautiful curling freekick from about 25 yards out (similar area to Fellaini's goal, come to think of it... same side and everything). I expected a draw so I was happy to get one in all honesty.

Next was the home tie against Catania. Like I said, a tricky one! Things got off to a flier with Neal Maupay netting in Ciro's absence. He's quite the talent, the young Frenchmen, and I hope he is our future (Ciro and Maupay will rotate more and more as the season goes on no doubt, especially if Maupay keeps scoring). He made it two right on the stroke of halftime with an expertly put-away strike into the post from the right hand side, striking across goal. Things were going swimmingly but Catania added a little pressure to us right after the break and we played out a nervy half. In no way was it enjoyable, but we got a big three points to keep pressure on the top spot which we lost after drawing the week prior.

The third game of the month was the one I expected to lose. We had actually beaten Roma twice in our last two league games, winning 1-0 at home and 1-3 in Rome. But Roma gently reminded us in the Coppa Italia that they were still a brilliant side by beating us in Turin to knock us out of the Quarter Finals. So we went to Rome this time hoping for a repeat of last season's trip to Rome but expecting something more like the Cup game. Instead, we settled for something in between. We weren't great - in fact far from it - but we were good enough. Angelo Ronga scored his second goal of his career and of the season with a beautiful header (who'd've thunk it - he's 5'8 with a jumping reach of 5) down past the goalie. Roma made quick haste in finding an equaliser and by the 21st minute we were all square. I was pretty disappointed to lose the lead so quickly as, after taking it, I thought things were going to go our way. The quick equaliser hurt to be honest. We managed to get in at HT with Roma dominating and I laid into the lads a little bit. Apparently it worked as we went out and Benassi scored his first of the season to give us a slender lead. At this point all three subs were used so when Stefano Denswil came off five minutes later, I panicked. 20 minutes without our best CB? Yikes. Kolasinac filled in at CB, Benassi played the emergency role of LB and Ronga and El Neny were asked to drop into DM as we sought to shut up shop. It worked, incredibly, as there was two highlights in the final 23 minutes (+ injury time) - a wild shot from range and a well worked attempt which Zieler saved brilliantly. We came out with a massive three points. Only negative was that Denswil is out for 5 weeks :thdn:

The undefeated month left the table looking rosy:

VHaUgZk.png

Champions League

Fh9p6xd.png

First CL game of the month was a home tie against Porto, who narrowly beat us last time out. I was pretty confident about our chances but a few rotations meant that we had some weaknesses around the pitch, undoubtedly. Shinji Kagawa fired us into a first half lead on the brink of half-time and things were going swell. Like the game in Portugal, it was very even, but I fancied our chances going into the second half, especially with our lead. Porto, or more specifically, Wilfried Bony, had other plans though. On 48:05 they made it 1-1. I can't deny that I was furious because it hadn't even taken 200 seconds for us concede after I tried to encourage them to keep it up... but then on 48:53 we made it 2-1. That's right - Bony scored on the 49th minute and then Maupay scored on the...49th minute :D Maupay added another goal not long after and we secured the result this time round unlike back in Porto. A huge three points!

Next up we hosted Arsenal in what would be a massive game. Lose and our hopes of making the knockouts were all but scuppered barring a Porto meltdown. Thankfully we had no plans of losing. Things went well from the start as we controlled the game and created a couple of chances. We couldn't take them and I was worried that a failure to take our chances was going to cost us, but in the end the defensive stalwart Robin Knoche produced the goods with his first goal of the season - a toe poke at the near post from a corner. Ironically, Knoche managed to beat Per Mertesacker to the ball to prod home. The two big Germans going up against once-another. At HT we lead 1-0 and I encouraged the lads which clearly worked as we came out flying and immediately made it 2-0 through the MAN: Andrea Belotti. A brilliant finish from Belotti saw him get on the end of Klivanly Hevany's angled through ball and then slam past Szczesny into the far post. Things were looking good for us until Memphis Depay cut in from the left and we failed to deal with his run - he made it to the edge of the box before letting rip and almost bursting the net. It wasn't enough for Arsenal though as we managed to see out the game 2-1.

nBxYfLh.png

Overall Thoughts

An undefeated month with four wins in our five games and making a huge step (or two) towards Champions League knockout football! Regardless of what happens now we have guaranteed ourselves football after Christmas, so that is superb news :cool:

I also got this nice little bit of information just prior to the game against Porto:

tAa1H1l.png

My 100th game in charge of Torino and my 165th game all-in. A nice little milestone and hopefully there's plenty more to come. My 169th game onwards will look like this:

Inter [H], Zenit [A], Napoli [H], Juventus [A], Palermo [A]

Three very tough league games, it goes without say. With two home ties in there I'm hoping we can get two victories at least, but a trip to the other half of Turin will obviously be tough, regardless of the fact we battered them last season ;) I'll aim for nine points in total in the League, with Palermo away being a must-win as the other three could very easily all be non-wins. If we were to somehow take more than six from the first three games then I'd be able to live with not beating Palermo but I think if we really want to displace Juventus then we really have to beat teams like Palermo away. They're tricky ties but we can't make excuses, we've just got to learn to win them.

In the CL, Zenit is a must-not-lose. If we win, we qualify no matter what (and maybe even top the group if Porto don't win). If we draw, we also qualify, which is obviously encouraging! Reason being that our H2H record with Porto has 3 points each but us with 4 scored and them with only 3 scored. If Arsenal win and we draw, though, we finish 2nd (Arsenal have more away goals than us). If we lose, we need Arsenal to draw or lose, otherwise we will finish third. We have beaten all three teams at home but lost our two away games so far so a trip to Zenit isn't too appealing, but if we can come up trumps then it will be a fantastic step forward. Hopefully we can seal top two in the next game though. Ideally we will beat Zenit and Arsenal will get a draw/win.

I missed these comments, I wasn't being ignorant :o

Solid start to hopefully another successful season. :)

Group stage might be a bit rough, but I reckon at least 3rd place in the group and Europa League knockout is a good goal to have.

Cheers fella. Things have gotten even better since and I'm beginning to feel like we are genuine contenders which is always a good feeling! Europa League has since been sealed too which is brilliant news for us. Hoping we can make a real impact in Europe post-Christmas, although obviously trying to get far in the CL is a little unrealistic/ambitious.

Congrats on the terrific season! And I can see why you highly approved of me signing Belotti ;)

And Horn, what a signing!

Cheers mate! Yeah, he's an absolute beast. Everyone who's managed him seems to have gotten him for a relative pittance which is surprising because he's fantastic. TBF though, prior to my management of him, his highest scoring season was only 11 goals. The last two seasons he's managed 17 and then 18 (18 in 30, with 8 assists, too!). This season as you can see he's already on 7 in 12. He's a total beast. I want him to get international recognition but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen :(

I'm really happy to have Horn but Zieler is also excellent. I'm trying to rotate them but I always find myself preferring Zieler for the bigger games and the more we win, the bigger each game seems, so I'm quite reluctant to play Horn atm. Zieler has played 12 times; Horn a paltry 5. I will try to restore the balance of this but it's easier said than done. Rotating GKs is not something I've ever been used to doing. I might just sell Zieler next summer...I don't know. If we don't get into the CL KOs, Horn will get every Europa League game, as many Cup games as we're in and maybe every 2nd or 3rd Serie A fixture. I'm just not sure I want to displace Zieler completely. Even though he's only got 3 clean sheets in 12, he's still a fantastic goalie.

At the very least, I'll be able to sell Horn on for big profit in the future if I decide not to play him more often :D

Haha, damn scouts :mad:

My assistant rates him as 3.5* (ability and potential) and notes that he is "A Star Player for most Serie A sides" and summarises that he is a "Quality Player". Probably doesn't mean a great deal because he's my best forward and I've never really tried to improve upon him. But him and Ciro work well together and there's no real need to improve on him when he's churning out the product he has been doing up until now.

Good luck with that tough run.

Cheers. It's not been easy... almost finished it, will post at some point through the night (maybe in about an hour, just about to play the last game of the month I think).

Congrats on the big 100, and good luck for that tough run!

P.S. Belotti is coming good for me :D:D:D

I knew he would :cool: Cheers mate!

e: Forgot to take screenshots etc at the end of December, so I'm just going to do a joint January/December update (already a couple of games into January) instead.

torino.png

December 2018 & January 2019

Serie A Results

BnrP1Gc.png

A lot of games. Mostly good.

The month got off to a great start with victory over Internazionale in a cagey affair. Kagawa put the ball away expertly 9 minutes in and that was more or less that. Both sides threatened but neither side truly came close. Inter were restricted to 8 shots, 6 of which were long. It was nice to see us control them so well, but offensively we were almost as poor. We had 18 shots, but only hit the target six times. There wasn't a single CCC in the entire game...

Next was a home tie against Napoli in what would undoubtedly be a tough fixture. The game was surprisingly very open - a huge contrast to the previous game - but both sides' finishing left a lot to the imagination as, through a total of 29 shots, the target was hit only 11 times. Thankfully we found the net more often than them, with Belotti netting two early goals. Higuain seeked to bring Napoli back into it with a goal just after half-time but then Dario Silvestri popped up with his second ever goal for the club. Nice little header after a Gino Peruzzi - who else? - cross into the near post. What was great about this goal is that Silvestri looped a sensational ball over three players to find Peruzzi out wide and then sprinted into the box to get on the end of a cross.

Third of the month was Juventus, where we managed to win last season. Things got off to a pretty bad start with Juventus scoring with their first shot of the game. Zieler made a meal of the whole thing, although the finish was fantastic tbf (35 yards out, pinged into the bottom corner - Zieler should had saved it though). Things were actually quite even - they had 55% possession and 18 shots, to our 14 - but we went into HT at 1-0. We brought it back to 1-1 right after half-time and looked like a draw was possible. Juventus started to crank the pressure up big time and after 40 minutes of valiant defending, Juventus finally broke through with a goal right on the brink of full-time. Gutting, but encouraging. Ordinarily we wouldn't stand a chance against them (bear in mind that last season we beat them 0-3 thanks to an early red card to Bonucci).

The last game of 2018 was in the form of a trip to Palermo. We were hoping for a win to get things back on track after a fairly strong month but it didn't quite unfold that way. Kamil Glik scored his first of the season from a corner but it was only an equaliser after Palermo took a lead within 15 minutes. Things looked as if they were going to fall into our favour but after 22 shots, we couldn't get past their goalie. A disappointing draw but in a tough month we took a solid seven points. I can't complain about that.

The new year started off with a home tie against Virtus Entella. I expected an easy match and that's what I got. Ciro scored for the first time in what felt like forever. Belotti continued his fine season - about the only attacker having one - with a brace and that was that. Routine victory. The clean sheet was nice as we aren't keeping many of them this season, but it was probably owed to their crap attack than our good defence.

Parma away stood before us now. We lost to them at home last season and drew in Parma, so I was understandably not that excited to go there. My apprehensions proved true as we faltered throughout and succumbed to a defeat. We went in at HT 1-0 down and quickly made it 1-1 after the break, but that's about as good as it got. The game was very even and there was opportunities to nick it but our profligacy in front of goal cost us as, late on, Parma scored on the counter and took advantage of our reckless attacking to try and find the winner. A harsh lesson, perhaps. The search for a victory against Parma continues, then!

A week later we hosted Ternana - a team we played just three days prior in the TIM Cup (see below). We played well but it looked like we were set to drop more points until a wayward Peruzzi cross caught the goalkeeper out - it looked to be going over the bar but the goalkeeper threw his hands up to try and catch it anyway and it bounced off of him and into the net. A MASSIVE let off, but a welcome one. We finally got luck in our favour, it seemed.

Last of the month was a home game against Fiorentina. Bloody Viola. We always have up and down games against them, usually high scoring games, too. But this one was quite the opposite. We had about a hundred-million shots (mostly from range) but in the end it was a Fiorentina mistake which gave us the goal. They played a clumsy backpass to Neto who couldn't get there in time and allowed Ciro to nip in and find the back of the net first.

The end of '18 and start of '19 left it all looked like this:

9ciKjUj.png

Champions League

c4SeE2c.png

Hmmm. We went to St Petersburg knowing that win or draw would see us qualify regardless of Arsenal/Porto's result. We also knew that, if we did lose, we would qualify as long as Arsenal did not win. Understandably, I was over the moon to be up 2-0 inside 10 minutes but things quickly went sour. by half-time we were down 3-2 and didn't look close to scoring. Arsenal 0-0 Porto was the score in London, though, so not all was bad. Around the 60th minute we went down to 4-2 and were relying almost entirely on Arsenal not winning unless we had a brilliant comeback. On the 65th minute, Porto made it 0-1 and it looked as if things would be fine for us. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Arsenal scored on 73 and 77 to win 2-1 and, despite our best attempts to tie it up, we couldn't. Zenit had nothing to play for but fielded a full strength team. Damn Russians :mad::D To the Europa League we go...

Um4wfFW.png

TIM Cup

TTZ3Oaj.png

Ternana awaited but I wanted to rotate the side as much as possible. I started Zieler as Horn was to be given a decent run in the goals but instead Zieler proved my decision was a good one as Zieler came out for a corner but made a total **** of it and missed, allowing Ternana to head into an empty net. We lost and didn't even come close to making it equal. OH WELL. Cup dream over before it even began :D

Overall Thoughts

So a strange two months, in all. Outside the league we didn't do too great to be honest with you, and I'm not happy with that, but in the league I can't complain. Sampdoria and Juventus are right alongside me and Milan and Napoli aren't too far off, so there's a real possibility at the minute of going on to take the title or failing to get anything this season and finishing even outside of the CL spots... blergh. Tough season ahead, no doubt.

In Europe we have Sevilla ahead. In the first leg we will be away from home so hopefully our miserable record of not winning outside of Turin stops and we can take something there. Else, I'll be happy to get something in Turin to win... whatever happens, with no Cup to play for, I want to progress. Especially because if we do, we're up against Sporting of Portugal or some Bulgarian side that my ignorance means I've never even heard of.

And talking of the future, this is what we have to look forward to:

Atalanta [A], Lazio [H], Milan [A], Sevilla [A], Sampdoria [A], Sevilla [H]

So another tough month ahead. Rivals Atalanta are never easy and a trip to Milan is daunting, as it isn't a happy hunting ground for us, I'm afraid. Sevilla away will be tough and so will the home tie, and to have them surrounding key ties like Milan and Sampdoria away is frustrating because, essentially, those four games will require my best XI in all four, which is not ideal and obviously draining for the lads. A tough month, then, is February.

I hope to win at least seven points from the 12 on offer. I'm not sure how I'm going to get seven, but it's what I want :D Maybe wins v Atalanta and Lazio and then a draw in one of the other two games. Preventing Sampdoria from beating us is really important. I don't care what the results in the Sevilla games are, so long as it's enough to progress on aggregate.

The final point I have to make is of the January window. No new players, no departures, but we have agreed a free transfer... cross-town rivals Juventus have foolishly allowed Kingsley Coman's contract to run down and the exciting Frenchman has agreed to sign for il Toro next season. According to my scouts, he is currently better than any other CAMs at the club and he has the potential to be even better than he is (4* CA, 4.5* PA). I'm going to be switching system at the end of the season to play a 4231 narrow (2 DMs, 3 CAMs) so Coman, Jiménez and Silvestri will start behind Belotti. Kagawa, Romeo and Benassi will be back-ups to those three.

So yeah, that's all for now.

There's a real buzz about him irl in Turin, loads of people excited about him. He's really talented. Only 18 irl too. Seems to have developed well at Juventus despite them not giving him many chances over the years. I'm really happy to be getting him for nothing.

Coman is a great signing on a free. :)

Sucks to lose out on CL knockout round, but a deep EL run will certainly help the coefficient.

Indeed, chuffed to get him for nothing. Initially thought he'd laugh at me because we're rivals but he doesn't really have any affection for Juve so that obviously helped...as did promising him a Key Player status tbf :D

Indeed with the EL. If we can get past Sevilla - fairly big IF tbf - then there's no reason we can't make SF or further. The 2nd KO round is winnable and if you make the QFs, there's no reason you can't get far. Only tricky thing is that I spied a few tough CL teams who didn't make it through. Man City are the biggest side in the EL :eek:

Such a shame you didn't beat Zenit :(

Yeah, I think we're going to be a mini-Celtic. If you don't get that - Celtic went through a dire period in the last 5/6 years where they basically couldn't buy a win outside of Glasgow in Europe. Prior to the 2011-12 season, they had won only one (in 2009) since 2003 I think it was. And obviously, with Celtic being a mainstay in the CL/UEFA Cup, that was a REALLY BAD record :D We did manage to beat Villarreal in the EL last season but that's three straight losses in Europe, two of which we were leading in (quite comfortably too, in the case of Zenit). Hopefully it's not an issue but it is somewhat worrying. And I'm sure we won't do anywhere near as badly as Celtic did :lol:

Just a note fellas - with Pokémon and Smash Bros. coming out today (well, yesterday now) and work this weekend, I won't be updating this thread for a few days. Probably should expect the next update around Tuesday night :)

Almost a week since I last played FM but I've opened it tonight and will hopefully get far enough to give you an update tonight (if not, there will definitely be one tomorrow night). I'm halfway through February at the moment.

Great signing in Coman

Cheers mate. I'm excited about it!

Hopefully Coman will be excellent.

Indeed. Thinking I will play with Coman-Silvestri-Jimenez - Jimenez allowed to drift out wide and swing it in (his crossing is godly). Coman similar on the left but a bit more direct instead of drifting out wide. I want him to be a scoring threat... maybe a Shadow Striker. Silvestri will be an Enganche or Trequartista. He's going to be great :cool:

Nail-biting three horse race there at the top! And you were really unlucky in the Champions League there, now go on and win the Europa League! :thup:

Things looked as if they might become a five-horse race but February went in a manner that there's only really three teams in it now, so you were right to call it three!

I'm hopeful in the Europa League, although trying to juggle the EL with SA is not going to be easy...

A lot later than I planned (fell asleep playing FM last night fgs :D) but I've got February FINALLY coming, a whole week on from Dec-Jan update :lol:

torino.png

February 2019

Serie A Results

Bq7XfV7.png

Pffffft. Defence is overrated :D

February got off to a start with the 'easiest' game of the month, a trip to rivals Atalanta. Atalanta took the lead within 10 minutes through Simone Padoin. By half-time, we were leading 3-1 thanks to two goals in two minutes from Neal Maupay. Things continued in a similar vein with us scoring two goals in three minutes after the break to storm into a 1-5 lead, but things went a little sour as we let in another two goals. Not ideal, but hell, I'm not complaining. On the 10th minute I was worried we were going to lose this thing :D

Our only home (league) game of the month saw Lazio travel from Rome. In something seemingly becoming a pattern, we went down to our opponents but hit back immediately, making it 1-1. Things were much the same going into HT but then on the 65th minute we made it 2-1, much to my delight. Yet another Maupay brace. Ciro wasn't even getting a look in recently because Maupay was doing great. Unfortunately, we suffered a taste of our own medicine as Lazio hit back within 4 minutes to make it 2-2. Things petered out this way unfortunately and we couldn't get the win. A disappointing draw but not a bad draw.

The third of month was arguably the toughest of the lot. Away to Milan. Not a happy hunting ground, I'm afraid. One win against Milan in the last lord-know-how-many matches... I took the authoritative decision to start Ciro (his first start in four games iirc) and it worked really, really well :DMilan took a big lead thanks to some shoddy defending but we romped our way back into the game within the final thirty minutes. As I said over in the OTF FM thread, our system wasn't working and changes had to be made. I switched the CM/D to BWM/D, the CM/S to CM/A, the B2B to AP/A, the AP/A to SS/A and the TM/S to F9/S. I also switched shouts to add Drop Deeper and Higher Tempo and also removed Shorter Passing and Roam from Positions. Safe to say things worked. We probably didn't deserve the draw but I am not going to complain about it.

A trip to Luigi Ferraris was our final match of the month. Sampdoria sat three behind us in second place coming into the game, so anything less than a point would see us drop to second. You'd think that with a 6th minute goal we took the lead in a game for the first time this month. You'd have thought wrong, then. Ante Rebic netted in the first five minutes but Andrea Belotti replied instantly, bringing us square to 1-1. We struggle to impose ourselves in the game but in the final 10-15 minutes I switched to the same system that saw us romp past Milan... it gave us chances but we couldn't take any, until the final few minutes saw a poorly cleared corner fall to Denswil who slammed home to take the victory and man of the match award. Three MASSIVE points for us.

Going into March we look in a great position:

WmVPAiI.png

Europa League

lRxfzOI.png

Our attempts to end a fruitless away campaign in Europe saw us travel to southern Spain to take on Sevilla in the First Knockout Round of the Europa League. Things went great as Alan Dzagoev found two goals in the first five minutes, one a tap-in from a rebound and the other a 25 yard free-kick curling over the top of the wall. Beautiful. Vazquez quickly made it 1-2 a few minutes later but before half-time Shinji Kagawa made it 1-3. Things were going pretty great at HT with a 1-3 lead, but Sevilla sought to make the rest of the match tricky by scoring around the 70th minute. Even a draw here wouldn't be too bad as we should be winning at home... but thankfully that wasn't even an issue as Maupay scored yet another goal to make it 2-4. This put us in prime position for progression...

Sevilla's trip to Turin was a lot nervier than it really should have been. The Spanish outfit scored their first shot of the game to take a lead after just three minutes and things were not looking good. After half an hour we were still fighting backs-to-the-walls with zero shots... I know, hideous. A fully rotated side was looking like a bad decision at this point in time. Still, 0-1 was more than enough for us to go through. But then Sevilla scored. Christ almighty. 0-2 down at half-time I tore into the lads and tried to get something out of them. We'd had two shots at half-time. Lordy. Things turned around slightly after half-time as we looked to get into the game, but we couldn't find the net. When we did - through El Neny - it was ruled offside. Blergh. I made the switch to my recently success altered tactic, knowing that it would open the game but worrying that it would also lead to us going out. 0-2 down was still enough to see us through. 0-3 was not. Thankfully, we found the net. Twice. Belotti came off the bench to slam home two late goals and we breezed through 6-4 on aggregate. A pretty crap performance but we made it in the end. Progression :cool:

The next round tie is looking good, especially after Fiorentina knocked out huge favourites Man City:

nu0VZ7P.png

Overall Thoughts

An undefeated month where we scored 19 goals in 6 games en route to four wins and two draws. Conceding 13 is obviously a bit of a worry but as long as we get results I couldn't give a **** what the scorelines are tbh. The fact we're challenging the title is fantastic at this point and I'm hoping we can kick on from here and continue to challenge it. There's a few tricky ties to come but mostly we're in a great position and there's no reason we can't win the title. Especially with our scoring record of late :cool:

In the coming month our fixtures look like so:

Pescara [H], Bari [A], Sporting [H], Cagliari [H], Sporting [A], Empoli [A]

That's a pretty decent looking month, I think you'll agree. I'm hoping to take nine points in the league and get results good enough to progress through the Europa League. There's no reason we can't win all five there, to be honest. Although at the very least I'm just hoping to get three wins from the league games and get further in Europe, regardless of the path I take (1-1 and 0-0 will do it for me :D).

The Europa League is a tantalizing prospect at the moment, I think. I have confidence that we can go far in it. Sporting are a good side but we should be able to get past them without a doubt. And of the remaining teams... well, the best sides in it are in the Italian league imo and they're all more than beatable. Gladbach, QPR and Lille are all tricky ties but all of them are winnable as well so no reason we can't win. Gladbach and QPR funnily enough two sides who we've played in recent seasons in Europe (in fact, last season all three of us were in the same Europa League group). Even if they get to play us, I'm sure we'll SMASH THEM :D:cool: I can't get ahead of myself obviously because Sporting will be tricky but we can win that and the whole competition, I believe it.

Top of the league and I agree that if you play at your best, you will go very far in the Europa League. :)

Here's hoping mate! Think with the teams remaining in the competition we've got the have confidence and belief that we can win the whole thing. I'm looking to beat Sporting at the very least. After that I guess I can assess my progress based on who we face and the circumstances surrounding ties etc.

JDownie means goals. ;)

Nice Italian :D There was me thinking it was "No Defence."

The title is yours to lose now!! Good luck for the final stretch of your season! :thup:

Eeesh, no pressure! :D We've still got some really tricky ties, including an away trip to Naples (iirc the best home team so far this season), hosting Juventus (never easy) and then I think we visit Roma and Inter at some point also. There's a lot to be played, but if we can at least beat the sides we should be beating such as Bari, Empoli etc then I don't see why we can't go on to win that title. I don't want to be the Italian Liverpool dammit :D

You need to sort out that defence ;)

:D Tell me about it. I thought 3 MCs would make us solid defensively but I guess the personnel there just isn't good enough to defend - Dzagoev is basically an AMC; Benassi is the best all-round midfield at the club but he's better going forward than back, for sure; Fellaini is the only defensive stalwart in that midfield but he's too slow to cover the ground needed. Next season, with the switch to a 4231 DM Narrow, I hope that we will be solid defensively and have enough about us going forward. I guess time will tell. Gotta end this season first. I'm not even going to change anything tbh, this system is working so well for us in terms of winning games so if we keep winning 6-3 or whatever I'm happy for it to continue.

Looks like the Juventus stranglehold is going to be broken!

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself at this point but it seems like it could be, definitely! Even if we somehow fail to do it, Sampdoria are in a good position to beat them to the punch also. Juventus have the best side on paper, without a doubt, but Sampdoria and Torino have been consistent throughout the season and have put themselves in a position to be considered as title contenders thanks to that consistency. If I don't do it this year, then I think next year will definitely be ours. We're improving exponentially. I took over a side who finished 9th (or 10th? IDK), got them their highest finish in decades in 6th (should have been higher, too!) and then came runners-up. Even if we finish in a 'lowly third' (:D) this season, it's still a huge improvement on where we were and the third place finish won't be because we have gone backwards since last season, it's simply that other teams have improved with us. Whatever happens, it's undeniable that we are gaining on Juventus. The gap between Juventus and the rest of the league is closer now than it has been for the last 6 years.

Going brilliantly, keep it up

Cheers mate! I'm trying :lol:

Decent month :D

I can't complain! haha.

i smell teen spirit oh

Is that what that smell is?! ;)

Wasn't around to play yesterday but I am now so will hopefully bash out a few months worth of play between now and going to work tonight. If I don't get it done today, then I will try to finish it after work tomorrow night. So with any luck, I'll have ended this season before Sunday comes around :)

torino.png

March 2019

Serie A Results

UBysvms.png

Four straight wins!

The first of the month saw us hosting rivals Pescara who travelled to Turin in the relegation zone. We expected a tough match-up but things were a lot nervier than they had to be. Shinji Kagawa made it 1-0 quickly scoring a well worked team effort which ended with Maupay squaring across goal for the Japanese playmaker. We kept pressure on Pescara, rarely letting them out of their half, but things didn't stay that way after the break as the opposition came out flying. Di Fiore made it 1-1 before the 60th minute and Pescara actually began to look like the better team. I was worried that they were going to beat us, nevermind take the one point, but thankfully Kagawa continued his recent brilliant form to score another, this time after Peruzzi found Maupay at the near post - the Frenchmen turned, took his time and picked out Kagawa who tapped into an empty net with the goalkeeper rooted at his near post. Two goals for Shinji, two assists for Neal. Wonderful!

Our first away trip of the month was against another side in the relegation zone, this time 19th placed new-boys Bari. The first half was quite open but we went in at half-time with only one goal on the scoresheet, with Belotti scoring his 21st goal of the season and his 17th of the league. Not bad, I guess :D Bari put up quite the fight after half-time but Shinji quickly silence them with another goal, making it 0-2. This seemed to batter their motivation and they sort of wilted after the goal. Sead Kolasinac then scored his first goal in Toro colours with a rasping drive from the edge of the box across the goalie's path. I couldn't quite a believe it! Turns out he's not totally ****ing useless :D Also a CLEAN SHEET :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cagliari visited Olimpico in the next game as we sought to make it three-for-three in the month of March. El Neny hasn't found himself in the starting line-up much recently, mostly in part due to Benassi and Dzagoev being so good, but the latter needed a rest so El Neny came back into the starting line-up. The Egyptian made his mark by scoring a sensational goal with our first shot of the match - a looping drive from about 20 yards out into the top far corner. A trademark strike from El Neny and something we've missed (Benassi's not so great with the shooting but his passing is sublime). An even game played on until El Neny scored his second of the game, pouncing on a knock-down from Maupay (Peruzzi attributed the assist for some reason) and slamming it into the back of the net to make it 2-0. The third came when Ciro laid off for Maupay to skelp it in, in similar fashion to the first El Neny goal, into the far corner, this time keeping it low though. Three superb goals to be honest. Tried to upload all three in one video but couldn't figure out how to do it (if someone can tell me how then I will).

Last of the month was a visit to Empoli. We have a good record against them but they gave us a good game and weren't far from getting something against us. Over the 90 minute they probably deserved it, in fact. Two Maupay goals put us up 2-0 though and that was enough in the end. I wanted us to try and control the game in the second half but it just didn't work. A frustrating second half but we got three points so I can't complain!

March over and things are heating up:

lAjh1G3.png

Europa League

kNdVNpL.png

Europa League dreams over :(

The first game saw us at home (I'd rather play away first tbh) and things went pear-shaped early on. Trailing 0-1 at HT we were fortunate to be honest. We didn't deserve anything from the first half. Total horrorshow. I played a near full-strength side (only really the GK rotated tbh) so I'm not sure where we went wrong. At half-time we'd had about 2 shots in total and looked miles from being the side we should have been. Naturally I tore them a new one and it backfired as we were 0-2 down within minutes of the restart. Belotti brought us back to 1-2 just prior to the 60th minute and then we really kicked on. In the second half we amassed 13 shots compared to Sporting who had 2 in the second half... unfortunately Rui Patricio was in top form and kept us out. We had no answer for him. He saved everything. A 2-1 loss at home hurt but if we could replicate our away game Vs. Sevilla then hope was not lost...

...unfortunately we couldn't. 63 seconds into the game Sporting were leading 1-0. We brought it back to 1-1 and were in the game for a while but at half-time we found ourselves 3-1 down and the score on aggregate stood at 5-2. To have any hope of progressing we had to win 4-3 from 3-1 down. A repeat of the miracle in Milan? Ha, no chance. Two goals within 15 minutes of the restart gave us hope but Sporting were always the superior side and always looked like they could score at any point in time, whereas we were busting our balls off just to get into their half. They scored again around the 70th minute iirc to take the win and that was that. 6-4 out on aggregate. Argh. Hopes over. Time to focus on the league.

Overall Thoughts

I cannot complain about the league at all. Much improvement to our defence (not sure where this came from tbh) and we are now undefeated in 10 games, winning nine and losing one. We have managed to stay at the top by the six points we were at the end of last month with things getting to the nitty gritty. With ten games to go, we'll have a real task on our hands trying to stay above Juventus who will no doubt turn the screw big time in order to try and win back 'their' title. In order to try and hang onto the top spot, we'll have to fend off these teams in the next month:

Udinese [H], Catania [A], Roma [H], Inter [A]

Yeah, not excited about this :D We should be able to win both home games but they are not easy games. And the Catania match-up will be tricky just because Catania are a decent side, but a trip to San Siro will not be enjoyable, despite Inter sacking Ronald de Boer just recently and struggling in the league. I think we should be able to get at least 7 points from these four games but that would allow Juventus to catch us right up and that's what I fear most. I don't want to choke again :(

What I have noticed is that the end of the season is packed. We have five games in May and then another game has been tacked on in June ffs :D Ridiculous final six games. Still, we've got to go into this with optimism.

Shame about the Europa but it could be a blessing as it gives you more focus on these last 10 league games

I hope so! At the very least it keeps our players fresh and means I don't have to rotate too often. I'm not fond of rotation tbh. Although it is important, I do like having a settled team of 11 with maybe only a few players coming in now and again. My defence especially I hate to rotate.

Just noticed this:

37E22614DD6286549FE7CEB0366859F717DBBC5E

That's the equivalent of an entire season :D Would be cool if I could score in every game for the rest of the season (7 games remaining) to make it one full season instead of just one full season's worth.

torino.png

April 2019

Serie A Results

EZYWlgR.png

Expected seven, got nine. Awww yeah!

First of the month saw us hosting Udinese in what would be a key tie to the month. In order to keep up our great form and continue to aim for the title, we couldn't really afford to drop points in this game considering the two tougher ties to come later this month. As a small aside, the game took place on my birthday (my 45th birthday according to FM :D) so it was nice to crown the date with a win over Udinese! Marco Benassi made it 1-0 and we looked comfortable, but there was always a threat from Udinese that it could end up a draw. Dominici came off the bench for his first appearance in four games (since the Bari game). He scored to make it 2-0 and effectively kill the game off. A solid win and yet another clean sheet. No idea where the clean sheets are coming from :D

Next up we travelled to Catania on the island of Sicily. After a terrible first half we found ourselves 1-0 down and out of the game, but an inspiring - rousing, some might say :D - half time team talk angry tirade of insults and verbal abuse talk saw us come flying out after half-time to win 1-3. Dominici came off the bench once again to set up Agustín Jiménez with a cute little backheel to allow Jiménez to tap it into an empty net and then he scored a neat finish to make it 1-3 and secure victory. Another huge victory.

Now started the toughest run in our challenge to taking the title. Roma would come first in a mini-series which will see Inter host us in Milan before we host cross-city rivals Juventus in May and then travel to Naples afterwards. Zero points from our next four games is entirely possible, so it put further impetus on us to try and not lose to Roma. Thankfully the thought didn't cross the lads' minds for one second. Belotti fired us ahead early on and would find himself clean through not long after but instead of passing to Maupay for the tap-in he took it alone and squandered the opportunity. Thankfully it did not come back to bite us - Roma could not get into the game at all and had one shot by half-time. Buoyed by Roma's poor performance, I went for it. I switched to my attacking system and we managed to blow them away. The first goal came from the penalty spot with El Neny putting the ball into the roof of the net as he usually does and then the next goal through Shinji Kagawa who was off of the bench to slot one home and continue his fine form for the season. We could have scored another few goals in all honesty but it wasn't to be and we had to settle for just the three. :lol:

The final game of the month was a trip to Inter who had found an up-turn in their recent form after appointing a new manager. This clearly made them a lot more competitive than I was prepared for as we found ourselves 3-0 down at half-time and firmly out of the game. Our best hope was a repeat of this season's miracle in Milan where we came from 3-1 down to win 3-4 at San Siro against Milan, but unfortunately it didn't even come close to happening. Dominici scored his third goal in his last three appearances (he didn't play v Roma) to make it 3-1 on the hour mark and give us some hope, but Sead Kolasinac went off injured just two minutes later and, with all subs made and us a man down, we couldn't do much to impose ourselves on the game. We actually had more shots and possession and the exact same number of CCCs and HCs, but Inter took their chances whilst we didn't. It was a massively disappointing defeat but, to be totally honest, I didn't expect to win, so I can't complain too much. I guess I'm just frustrated that our amazing run is over (see below).

Going into the final month, this is how the table looks:

1Mybu8o.png

Overall Thoughts

Well well well, what can I say? Juventus lost in Rome to Lazio (at the same time we beat other Roman team Roma) and then lost in Turin to Milan (at the same time we lost in Milan to Inter) meaning that we actually gained on them despite only taking 9 of a possible 12 points (they took 6 of 12 of course). With only six games remaining, we should be able to take the title. Our next few games are really tough but the nine point gap between us and Juventus should be a big enough cushion to hang onto the top spot. I'm certainly more confident of winning the title now than I have ever been at Torino... Anyway, looking forward at our run to end the season, here's how it looks:

Juventus [H], Napoli [A], Palermo [H], Virtus Entella [A], Parma [H], Ternana [A]

The Ternana game is actually in June but I'm not going to post a single game as an entire month's worth of updates :D I'll include that as May/June of 2019. 12 points will see us win the title so that is my aim. Things get a little complicated with Juventus being in our final month, because let's say I take nine points, that won't be enough to win the title if Juventus beat us, but if we beat Juventus then nine will be enough... but basically, I need 12 to win the title and I am aiming for 12 of the possible 18. All of them are winnable, but Juventus and Napoli will both be tough games so the final four games are all must-win I would say. We can get away with losing to Juve and Napoli but hopefully we don't lose both of them...

The loss to Inter ended this Serie A run, which was disappointing to lose, but it shows how good this side is:

uuXNUCi.png

:cool:

4oyrQ3Y.png

Nice to have this confirm quite early on, although it wasn't really ever in doubt. For much of the season it was quite clear it would be ourselves, Juventus and Sampdoria in the top three... although they've since choked and let Napoli overtake them. Maybe it wasn't ever in doubt in my mind, then :D

Also got this on the confirmation of that:

sFvHcaE.png

Nice to see the board are willing to spend some more. Not a great budget but that isn't surprising considering the Balance of the club is currently around £4.2M in the red.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to conclude my season before work tonight but I do have time to post this!:

GKBk3eu.png

0ngvcKg.png

josiDHF.png

We won the title courtesy of the 36th game of the season. We went into it knowing that a victory would be enough to give us the title, anything less would mean we needed two points from our final two games. We had no intentions of taking it past this game. We faced an away trip to Virtus Entella, already relegated and sitting dead last with a record of: P35, W4, D2, L29, F22, A92, GD-70... so I was fairly confident... and rightly so - we smashed them 0-6 (three goals in each half) and it wasn't until the 60th minute before they had their first shot of the game. We were HUNGRY :D

Absolutely over the moon to win the title. I'll hopefully get the season finished after work tonight but I might not be able to, so it might still be Saturday night/Sunday morning before I get the final few games of the season posted :)

Great achievement! Congrats :thup: nice to see that Juventus hegemony broken by their biggest rivals

Not sure about biggest rivals - that's probably one of the Milans or even Fiorentina, but they're definitely our biggest rivals so it means a lot to us at least :cool:

Just caught up with this! Loved reading through it. Fantastic job breaking Juve's streak. :)

Nice effort! Cheers fella, I'm chuffed to bits tbh!

Nice one mate - bet it felt good :thup:

One of my best FM achievements tbh and there's been plenty of them :) So pleased to finally do it. Didn't think at the start of the season we'd do this well, thought our best/most realistic hope was just closing the gap on them. To go from 10 behind last season and never in a dogfight to winning it with 2 games remaining is superb! :cool:

Congrats on winning the league, great season!

Cheers mate. I'm still a little sour over our cup run and the Europa League but the league more than makes up for that obviously. Makes it a great season :D

Not sure about biggest rivals - that's probably one of the Milans or even Fiorentina, but they're definitely our biggest rivals so it means a lot to us at least :cool:
Juve's top rivalries are Torino (historic) and Inter (high-profile). I bet the rivalry is now very alive :D

One of my best FM achievements tbh and there's been plenty of them :) So pleased to finally do it. Didn't think at the start of the season we'd do this well, thought our best/most realistic hope was just closing the gap on them. To go from 10 behind last season and never in a dogfight to winning it with 2 games remaining is superb! :cool:

That's some turn around - might have to get you to gimme your tactic! :D

Think the win was down to your team or did Juve have a off season?

That's some turn around - might have to get you to gimme your tactic! :D

Think the win was down to your team or did Juve have a off season?

I gave Gizzy my Union Berlin tactic :D Not sure how much he used it but his Hearts side are regular CL competitors now :lol:

I think it was a bit of both. The most we can finish with is 90 points, which would have won us the title in two of the previous four seasons, but only 2nd place last year (by 3 points) and 2nd the year before (by 8 points, Juve stormed it in my first season at Torino). However, Juventus can only finish with 83 as a maximum, which is their lowest points tally of all five seasons, bar in the season where they won the title with 83 points.

And as for my current tactic, not even sure how good it is haha. A lot of the performances have come down to how I've managed to inspire players in the second half. Defensively we're terrible. A good thing we can score goals ffs :D

Just about to load up and hopefully finish my season tonight. Pretty tired (been up since 7.30) so might not manage it but am going to try anyway.

Archived