DavidBeckham

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The plot curdles!
Oooh! Interesting!
So, you're going for it?
Or, are they going for you?

England crashed out of the Euros in the second round and Montella's job status became insecure. I went to declare my interest in the job immediately and he was sacked! I applied for the job without hesitation!

The question is will you stick with Arsenal at the same time as England?

To be closer to reality, I don't think I will stay with Arsenal!

Manager tactical coaching is 0 gave me somewhat of a chuckle, good luck with England! plus great job with Arsenal

That's tactical knowledge and tactical knowledge is not available on our profile!

Ah I see, you learn something new everyday

Well absolutely! I am still learning something new every time I log onto FM!

Good luck with England. I guess there'll be a few Arsenal players in your first squad?

Cheers mate! I had about 14 in my first squad! But Montella is ripping my team apart and he has brought in a lot of foreign players and loaned some of the locals out :(

• 3 months later...

AhQmyNW.jpg

After a longggggggggg consideration, I took it!

Wow!

24th in the Championship but a club with huge potential. Personally I would take that - a perfect club for option 3! :D

That is exactly what I was thinking, a great opportunity and the challenge should keep me going in this save! :)

I wouldn't take that, but just because I don't like Newcastle. To be honest it's a fantastic opportunity.

To be honest, I don't really like them too but at least my owner isn't Mike Ashley! :D

Well done winning the World Cup Becks.

Thanks as usual Nobby ;)

I would go for a challenge in a different league to be honest.

I will probably go to MLS at some point before FM16 but since there is still time, I will give it another go in my favourite country!

Amazing read this was. Did you stick with that 4141 attacking formation all the time? Very deep defensive line + attacking and close down more, doesn't sound like it should work though haha

Any player instructions?

I do like how you seem to stick with your methods and not change to what was at the clubs.

Amazing read this was. Did you stick with that 4141 attacking formation all the time? Very deep defensive line + attacking and close down more, doesn't sound like it should work though haha

Any player instructions?

I do like how you seem to stick with your methods and not change to what was at the clubs.

Cheers mate!

Yes I stick to the 4141 for most games unless I have a fantastic poacher whom I can't drop!

The instructions do seem weird but it hasn't been a problem at all. When opponents are deep, we are right in their faces and when they have the ball in our half, my players drop deep into a Mourinho-like defensive shape.

The only two player instructions I use are pass to full backs for the goalkeeper and close down much less for my midfield anchor. I also use exploit the flanks against teams playing single wide player formations and exploit the middle when I am playing a 442. Retain possession, much lower tempo and be more disciplined are applied when I want to close out games :)

I'm pretty sure you'd be Sir David Beckham by now. Can't be far off even in real life...

Do managers get knighted on the game? Still not a Sir yet on mine!

Newcastle really shouldn't be a Championship club, and I'll bet they won't be for long :)

They have had such a bad start (2 points in 8 games and rock bottom) and their squad is so baddddd that I had to sign 15 players just to make sure that we can compete in the championship!

That is mental!

FXhH7YF.jpg

This would give a better idea of how much they have fallen from grace!

It could be worse... you could be at Leeds. Everybody hates Leeds. Most people who hate Newcastle hate Mike Ashley.

Becks won't ever go to Leeds ;)

Newcastle-United-icon.png

Season Review 2038/2039 - Newcastle United F.C.

Club Info

l3QT4MS.jpg

Newcastle has fallen heavily from grace since their days in the premier league and they have been stuck in the championship for the past eight seasons. The previous head coach was axed after a terrible start and I took over the reins with the club rock bottom with only 2 points from 8 games.

Premier League

Fixtures (Whole season) Final Table (9th)

It has been a frantic season and numerous short-term loan deals were arranged to plug the gaps in the paper thin squad. Eventually, I was pleased to finish a mere three points behind the play-off places, seven behind 2nd placed Southampton and I would certainly have made up the seven points gap if I took over before the disastrous opening eight games.

FA Cup

wOVx4Nj.jpg

We were unlucky to draw Man United in the opening round and it was no surprise that we ended up losing the tie with a depleted squad.

Capital One Cup

zBb8IGK.jpg

The lads deserved praise for reaching the quarter-finals but progress was eventually halted by Derby at Pride Park.

Key Players

The squad was hastily put together after the horrid start and another summer of major overhaul is needed if we want to achieve promotion. Three of the following current players will have a big part to play next season.

Moussa Issebere

Moussa is a solid midfield anchor and is our very own Makelele at this level. If he can stay fit, we would solve a lot of our defensive problems in the upcoming campaign.

Jorge Moreno

The Spanish winger was signed on a free and is a fantastic bargain as he is still only 21. Jorge is already one of the top wide players in the championship and I have high hopes that he can grow into a premier league player if we can achieve promotion eventually.

Jeffrey de Lange

Jeffrey is an even better signing and the Dutch forward is already premier league quality in my eyes. He has had injury problems before signing for us for 300k pounds and if the false nine can be a little less fragile, he wouldn’t be far off from the top of the goal-scoring charts next season.

Preseason 2039/2040 - Newcastle United F.C.

Board Expectations

Sky Bet Championship: Finish above mid-table

Capital One Cup: Reach Third Round

FA Cup: Reach Fourth Round

Having spent the past nine seasons in the championship and narrowly escaped relegation to league 1 only two years ago, the board did not place their expectations too high and we were expected to finish above mid-table this season. As for the cup competitions, the board is expecting progress to fourth and third round for the Capital One Cup and FA Cup respectively.

Budgets

Transfer: 3.53 million pounds

Wages: 375k pounds

The budgets aren’t too bad at this level and I will certainly need them to strengthen as the squad is currently not good enough for a promotion push.

Transfers

zL295kl.jpg

A total of 12 players were brought in to bolster the squad and since the majority of them are loan deals and free transfers, we did not utilize much of our budgets. 4.9 million pounds were raised from outgoings and only a tenth of it was used for bringing in the new faces.

Key Transfers

Michael Jung

Michael is a combative German central midfielder and reminds me of Dortmund’s Ilkay Gundogan. His timing of tackles is immaculate and he will start the season as our first choice ball winner.

Gorka Villanueva

Our central defense was so bad last year that we had to bring in 3 new faces this summer to improve the situation at the back. Gorka arrives from Celta for a mere thirty thousand pounds and is a towering, powerful center-back. Like Michael, he will go straight into our starting 11.

Jules Mulumba

In our system, speed is extremely important down the wide areas and I was glad to find out that Jules has agreed to join us on loan from Q.P.R. The 24-year-old will now be one of the quickest player in the championship and if he can stay clear of injuries, we will have a proper threat down our left side.

Preseason Friendlies

HxIIs4T.jpg

Preseason was long, draggy and busy as usual and now that it has finally ended, the pressure is on. Can we get anywhere near the promotion places?

Season Review 2039/2040 - Newcastle United F.C.

Sky Bet Championship

Fixtures (Whole season) Final Table (2nd)

We are back in the premier league! Despite missing out on the championship by a mere two points, we had to be happy with the promotion as the media only tipped us to finish 11th this campaign. In terms of Salary Per Year, we were well behind Leeds in 6th position and our Net Transfer Spend was the 4th lowest out of all the championship teams on -3.31m pounds. The lads clearly over-achieved.

Awards

SV5h1Rz.jpg

Pleased to see 4 in the team of the year.

RpTDCti.jpg

\o/

kCOfJIM.jpg

Pacy Spanish winger with his well-deserved young player award.

EPLJmmP.jpg

Our top scorer and number one assist-maker. Undoubtedly the correct choice for the player of the year award :cool:

FA Cup

NU7pueJ.jpg

We were unlucky with the draws this season and the lads managed impressive wins against eventual championship winner Leeds and premier league side Hull before putting up a great fight in the fifth round against giants Manchester United. The Red Devils proved to be too strong in the end as they beat us with an injury time winner in the replay.

Capital One Cup

jsAeyN8.jpg

The lads were even more impressive in the Capital One Cup, knocking out the likes of top flight sides Tottenham and Arsenal before facing Chelsea in the semi-finals. Like the FA Cup, their squad were too deep for ours and we succumbed to a 1-3 aggregate defeat.

Top 3 Players

Ben Keeling

The deadline day signing last summer proved to be a master stroke as the Englishman played an integral part of our successful season. Ben was a member of my world cup winning squad with England but found himself on the transfer list when he got out of favor at Chelsea. Picked up for only one million pounds, the defensive midfielder was one of the signings of the season after scoring 11 and creating a further 7 for his team-mates in a very productive campaign.

Iban Goni

The arrival of the Spanish winger on loan was another terrific piece of business and the ‘Speedy Gonzales’ helped himself to 9 goals and 14 assists in 37 starts. If Receativo can let us have Iban for another year next campaign, I believe he can grow into a proper premier league winger.

Alfred Bassong

Bassong did not start the season as first choice but played himself into the starting 11 with impressive performances from the bench. The Cameroonian ended the campaign with 24 goals and 17 assists in only 31 starts and is without a shadow of a doubt our player of the season!

Good work up North so far.
Well done taking the Geordies back up.
Great season! Congrats and best of luck bringing the Magpies back to the big time :)

Thanks as usual guys! :D

Nice work! Congratulations on promotion. Europe next? ;)

Thanks mate! Would be a terrific achievement if we can qualify for Europe with an entirely new squad ;)

Preseason 2040/2041 - Newcastle United F.C.

Board Expectations

Premier League: Fight against relegation

Capital One Cup: Reach Third Round

FA Cup: Reach Fourth Round

Having been away from big time for so long, the board was reasonable in their expectations and simply wants us to fight bravely against relegation. Like last season, we were again expected to reach the Third and Fourth Round in the Capital One Cup and FA Cup respectively.

Budgets

Transfer: 12.21 million pounds

Wages: 500k pounds

I would’ve wanted more but it’s understandable that the board was unwilling to break the bank in our first season back in the premier league. A busy summer awaits us.

Transfers

SLEsGq5.jpg

In perhaps the busiest summer of my whole career so far, we managed to bring in a total of 15 players both on loan and on permanent transfers for a grand total of 34.6 million pounds. An additional 24 million pounds were raised from the outgoings, which include our star player last season, Alfred Bassong.

Key Transfers

Conor Stott

Conor was one half of my World Cup winning central defense and despite being on the wrong end of his thirties, I couldn’t resist bringing him in when Arsenal made him available on loan. The experienced center-back will be the leader in my new-look defense and he will be very important in whatever we do in the upcoming campaign.

Andrea Varisco

Speed has always been the most important element when assembling my squad and Andrea has an abundance of it. In addition, the Italian has terrific technical ability to beat a man and will go straight into our starting 11. A future fee of 5 million pounds was installed in his loan deal and once there are funds available, I would snap him up without hesitation.

Rob Mumford

I may have overpaid for the English right-back but he was the only player on the market who fits into my profile. Rob is another player with lots of pace to burn and he will go straight into the right of our back four in the upcoming campaign \o/

Preseason Friendlies

bJcIh3d.jpg

We were off to Asia in my first ever preseason tour with the Magpies and the lads got to know each other in a tough but enjoyable training camp. With so many new signings in the squad, it was important that they gel fast if we want to get off to a good start. Can’t wait for the huge kick-off!

Wow! That's an intense preseason. Do you think it'll help or harm fitness over the season?

I scheduled friendlies every two days ever since I read Cleon's guide on preseason and it has worked well for me. It helps the players reach full tactical familiarity quickly and I have not noticed any hikes in injuries :)

Players only get 45 minutes per game until the last fixture (one week before season start) though!

Season Review 2040/2041 - Newcastle United F.C.

Premier League

Fixtures (Whole season) Final Table (3rd)

Fantastic achievement by the lads in our first season back in the premier league! We finished 3rd in the end behind giants Arsenal and Man United, scoring 80 and conceding 41 in the 38-game long season. The boys over-achieved by a great deal as the media only expected us to finish 19th. The Magpies are back in the Champions League!

Awards

jMhFKof.jpg

We almost made the midfield our own ;)

g7xMAvk.jpg

\o/

mN619Of.jpg

Our new Brazilian number one had been consistent throughout the season and deserved his Golden Glove award!

vmf0irJ.jpg

Arguably our best performer this campaign and deserved his Young Player of the Year award!

FA Cup

biuu6uB.jpg

We managed to meet our board’s expectations by reaching the fifth round of the oldest cup competition but our progress was eventually halted by Liverpool in a narrow 0-1 defeat.

Capital One Cup

S1zPjww.jpg

The lads did well by knocking out the likes of Leyton Orient, Watford, Reading and Burnley before facing eventual Premier League Champions Arsenal in the semi-final. We fought hard but the quality of my old team proved to be too much for our thin squad as the boys succumbed to a 3-4 aggregate defeat.

Top 3 Players

Michael Jung

The German ball winner settled into Premier League with ease and proved that he can compete at the highest level. Despite not playing in an attacking role, Michael finished the campaign with 7 goals and 6 assists in a very productive season.

Andrea Varisco

The loanee from Juventus has been superb for us down our left flank, tearing opponents apart with his pace and ended the campaign with 4 goals and an impressive 14 assists in 36 starts. I will be doing my all to tie him down on a permanent deal!

Iban Goni

We made really good use of the loan system and like Varisco, Goni has had another terrific season away from his parent club. The Spanish speedster finished on double figures for both goals and assists and was directly involved in 24 goals in only 30 starts. Undoubtedly my player of the season!

I scheduled friendlies every two days ever since I read Cleon's guide on preseason and it has worked well for me. It helps the players reach full tactical familiarity quickly and I have not noticed any hikes in injuries :)

Players only get 45 minutes per game until the last fixture (one week before season start) though!

I do loads of friendlies too, it's also handy as unlike most teams in the league, by time season starts you should have a full squad at 100% fit.

Preseason 2041/2042 - Newcastle United F.C.

Board Expectations

Premier League: Qualify for Europa League

Champions League: Not expected to get beyond Group Stage

Capital One Cup: Reach Quarter Final

FA Cup: Reach Sixth Round

After last season’s fantastic over-achievement, the board raised their expectations considerably and we were expected to qualify for the Europa League through participation in the Premier League this time round. We weren’t expected to do too well in the Champions League though as the board felt that even qualifying from the group would be a bonus. However, further progress in the domestic cup competitions was expected. (Sixth Round and Quarter Final for FA Cup & Capital One Cup respectively)

Budgets

Transfer: 23.88 million pounds

Wages: 650k pounds

With Champions League football on the horizon, the squad needed considerable strengthening and the budget we got was the minimum I would’ve wanted from the board. Another summer of struggle awaits as I face the huge task of putting together a squad capable of competing in the Champions League.

Transfers

uLr9l5E.jpg

We struggled to strengthen to the extent which I would’ve liked but we managed to bring in five quality players both on loan and on permanent transfers. Markovic extended his loan deal for a further season to provide back-up for our number one keeper and I was glad to tie all of Goni, Varisco and Blasco down to permanent deals. An extra 10 million pounds was raised from eleven departures.

Key Transfers

Martin Bednar

Martin is the perfect left-sided center-back which we were able to afford on the market and the brave defender will go straight into the starting 11 to hopefully inject some much needed Champions League quality to the squad.

Fabian Schneider

Schneider was brought in as Bednar’s partner but he was not my first choice at the start. We did not have enough funds to complete the deal for a Brazilian center-back I badly wanted and I had to turn to Fabian in the end. The German center-back will certainly take time to settle as he doesn’t speak English and hopefully he will grow into a proper center-back and repay the 13 million pounds we forked out for him.

Paul Winter

The English left-back was very close to going to the last World Cup with me but narrowly missed out in the end. Paul is a solid defender and he will challenge hard for the first-choice left-back spot in the upcoming campaign.

Preseason Friendlies

HYggViB.jpg

We flew to U.S.A this time round for our hectic preseason to hopefully build up our fan base in that area. After a grueling schedule, we are back and ready for the start of the season. Let’s hope we can get closer to the top of the Premier League and progress further in the cup competitions! \o/

Archived