This isn't Spain. This is Catalonia, and we will be Top Dogs

SRL88

Great results on both fronts! How are you finding it managing the inter nation team as well as domestic? I find it hard enough keeping up with everything going on at Anderlecht as it is, let alone if I was to take on control of the national side, too.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An outstanding month in the league, with a load of cleansheets!! Pity you drew at home with Granada though. Not a brilliant start in Europe, but it was always going to be tough in Milan. The home game against them may well be hugely decisive.

Great results on both fronts! How are you finding it managing the inter nation team as well as domestic? I find it hard enough keeping up with everything going on at Anderlecht as it is, let alone if I was to take on control of the national side, too.

Cheers dude.

A lot of the time I find it easy. I usually ignore the national team until it comes round to calling players up for international matches. Then I do a bit of research in regards to form, goals scored, conceded etc.

An outstanding month in the league, with a load of cleansheets!! Pity you drew at home with Granada though. Not a brilliant start in Europe, but it was always going to be tough in Milan. The home game against them may well be hugely decisive.

Cheers fella.

It would have been nice to pick up something in Milan, but that is the nature of the beast in Europe I suppose.

SANT-ANDREU_zps02a2dd62.jpg

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - October 2020

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps21f1d613.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps787ae212.png

We made a stuttering start to the month which resulted in our first defeat of the season, but we managed to turn our form round well to keep us in a very good league position.

We should have beat Albacete in truth. We battered them but our finishing wasn't up to scratch and we had to settle for a goalless draw. Our performance in the first half hour against Real Madrid was very good and we had some pretty good chances to go in front, but after that we were battered. Madrid scored close to half-time and that was it really. From then on we didn't have an effort at goal and they doubled their lead in the second half to seal the game. We managed to turn around that disappointment though with a fantastic result and display against our biggest rivals. We started quick and in the opening minute of the game we had taken the lead. It didn't take us long to double our lead and by the half hour mark we were 3-0 up. Despite Barcelona pulling a goal back in the second half we could easily have added more, but our overall dominance and a 3-1 win was a fantastic result. That was followed up with another very good home performance. A much-changed line-up did the job on the night as we breezed past Real Betis 3-0. Another three goal scoreline rounded the month off as we managed to battle our way past Las Palmas. We struggled slightly in the first half, but once we added that second goal it took all of the pressure off us and allowed us to hit them on the counter where we managed to add a third goal.

UEFA Champions League Group Stage

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsca92a3b7.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages-2_zpsb93a96dd.png

An excellent result which really opens up the group going into the return trio of fixtures.

On reflection we really didn't deserve the win based on the balance of play. Chelsea absolutely hammered us. They had nearly forty efforts on goal to our eight but our finishing was clinical and our defence strong as we managed to grind out a massive 2-1 win. After a goalless first half we took the lead inside a minute of the second through Ruben. Just after the hour mark we doubled our lead from the penalty spot and managed to hold Chelsea at bay until injury time, but it wasn't enough from them to affect the result.

Hopefully you can get something from Chelsea at home as well.

It would be a huge result and would definitely put us in a great position for qualification.

Spain_National_Football_Team_badge_zps72dc9fc1.png

SRL88's Career - Spain - November 2020

World Cup Qualifier

Spain_FixturesSchedule_zpsee1e64c1.png

FIFAWorldCupUEFAQualifyingSection_OverviewStages_zpsb200e240.png

We made a lot harder work than it should have been on paper, but it was another win under our belt and another step closer to the World Cup.

We started quickly and took the lead in the opening minute of the game but just ten minutes later we were level in the game and that was Cyprus' only effort on goal. We dominated the game after that but our finishing let us down. We did manage to score a second in the second half and that turned out to be the winner.

Friendly

Spain_FixturesSchedule-2_zps0745ab85.png

A bit of a disappointing draw, but it was an even game and was probably a fair result. The game was a tale of two penalties with us scoring from the spot in the first half and them in the second.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - November 2020

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsd7455000.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps886d2726.png

A very good month to keep our push for the title going.

I expected a really tough game against Malaga and that is exactly what we got as we were forced to battle till the end to claim all three points. We took the lead in the first half and led at the interval, but Malaga levelled the game early in the second half. The remainder of the game was tight, but we were given a slice of luck when a near-post effort somehow crept under the goalkeeper and gave us a 2-1 win. That was followed up with a one-sided performance against Athletic Bilbao. Two goals in either half saw us romp to a 4-0 victory. Although the scoreline doesn't show it, we absolutely battered Mallorca. It took until the 33rd minute, but the goal which gave us the lead, and turned out ultimately to be the winner was thoroughly deserved. We should have had many more and our task was made even easier when they went down to ten-men in the second half, but we settled for a 1-0 win.

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsca96f349.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zpsa6a9be9d.png

Well our destiny is in our own hands going into the final group game.

We were ruthless against Chelsea as we absolutely battered them for 90 minutes. We took a deserved lead in the first half and in the 65th minute we added a second goal. We didn't let our performance levels drop though and in injury time we added a third goal to give us a well-deserved win. We probably should have grabbed another win over AC Milan because we were fantastic in that game too, but we just couldn't find the net as we head into the final group game with everything to play for.

Amazing career and great result against Chelsea there!

Cheers dude :thup:.

Fantastic read, really enjoyed reading this oveer a couple of lunchtimes, you've done brilliantly and hopefully that shiny new stadium will let you progress on to greater glories.

One extremely minor niggle: calibre not calliper :p

I usually appreciate comments like this, but you nitpicking makes me not appreciate it :p.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - December 2020

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zps2a5c8e70.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages-2_zpsc3e7a777.png

We really should have taken maximum points from these two games and we came within seconds of doing so.

Our performance against Getafe was fantastic. We didn't take long to break the deadlock and from then on it was all us. We went in at the break four goals up after blitzing them for the whole half. We didn't have to get out of second gear after the break really and added a fifth in a romp. Despite the scoreline suggesting otherwise, we also battered Atletico Madrid. They barely had an effort on goal but we had to wait for that goal. It finally came ten minutes into the second half but we just couldn't seal the game. Deep in stoppage time we conceded an own-goal which was thoroughly undeserved.

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-4_zps32647cdb.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages-2_zps15857f47.png

A difficult result to take really because although we qualify from our group, we have to settle for second place.

We should have won the game by some margin, especially having taken the lead and facing the weakest side in our group, but a sloppy goal brought them level in the second half and we just couldn't find that second goal.

Finishing second has given us a tough tie against the side who knocked us out of the Champions League last season, Man Utd.

Copa del Rey 4th Round

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-5_zpsdab32b2a.png

A kind draw and two very comfortable performances.

We were never troubled and it was always a case of just doing what needed to be done. We did just that, and eight goals over the two legs was nice to see.

Athletic Bilbao now stand in our way of a place in the Quarter-Final.

Things are going very well in the league right now. The Return match with Barcelona could well be crucial if you can keep pace with them.

Very well done to qualify from that Champions League group, honestly wasn't convinced you could do it.

Very tight at the top but I think that is to be expected for a few more years yet, good job getting out of the CL group and even better news with the expansion for the stadium

I just can't see it coming to the point where there will be much of a gap unless the other two decline. The league looks to me as though it is to be a three horse race and will go down to the wire the vast majority of times.

Getting into the knockout stage in Europe is massive once again. It will be of major benefit to our coefficients, and hopefully help move us into pot two next season (it looks as though we are on route to the Champions League again).

Things are going very well in the league right now. The Return match with Barcelona could well be crucial if you can keep pace with them.

Very well done to qualify from that Champions League group, honestly wasn't convinced you could do it.

Not just the return leg against Barcelona (in the Nou Camp), but also the game at home to Real Madrid. Massive games.

I knew we would have it tough in Europe and would have taken second if it was offered to me, but going into the final group game I am disappointed that we didn't claim second.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - January 2021

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsd4f850f4.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps60c3f551.png

After the winter break we entered January and had a fixture packed month and managed to have a brilliant return with a 100% record.

The only goal of the game in Deportivo came courteous of an own-goal in the opening minute of the game. After that the game was fairly even but our opponents did create more chances than us and we were left hanging on towards the end as we gained a hard-fought victory. We followed that up with an impressive display against near-neighbours Espanyol. After taking the lead we were a little nervy just before and just after half-time but once we added the second the result was never in doubt. We scored again late on to cap off a 3-0 win. We were made to fight very hard against Celta Vigo and came from a goal down to claim all three points. We left it late but managed to grab the winner in the 89th minute. We romped our way to a massive win over Sevilla with Antonio Luis stealing the show with four goals. Georgi Terziev also had something to shout about as he grabbed a brace. The month rounded off with a very hard-fought win away to Villarreal. We found ourselves two goals down inside the opening ten minutes as we were absolutely shocked. When Ruben pulled a goal back we were always in with a shout then and he levelled the game up with his second goal of the match in the 36th minute to send us in level at the break. That gave us something to fight for and just four minutes after the restart we took the lead and managed to see our the rest of the game for a 3-2 win.

Copa del Rey 5th Round & Quarter-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpscd5baa06.png

With victory in both legs it allows us to move into the Semi-Final for the third year in a row.

All five goals in the first leg came in the first half as the game swung this way and that in the opening 45 minutes. We fell behind then levelled the game before going in front, conceding and re-taking the lead all within a space of twenty minutes in a fascinating half. The second half was just as entertaining but didn't have the goals to show for it. Two goals in the space of seven minutes in the second leg put us firmly in control of the tie. We did concede a goal in the second half but it wasn't enough to worry us and we saw out the game for a 5-3 aggregate win.

That set up a tie against Atletico Madrid where we were made to work unbelievably hard. A fast start saw us take the lead from the penalty spot in the first leg but right on half-time we conceded, very much like in our league encounter, against the run of play. The second half was fairly even but we managed to find the edge to take into the second leg thanks to a fine Ruben strike. Our squad was exhausted ahead of the second leg as we had played a lot of football during the month and suffered from injuries and suspensions heading into this game. Our performance though was good enough as we did what was needed in a high-scoring game. Although we looked vulnerable at the back our attacking display was superb as we battled our way to a 3-2 win.

In the Semi-Final we have the kindest draw possible against Real Sociedad with Spain's other two giants, Real Madrid and Barcelona meeting in the other tie.

Transfers - In

Radael Rivas - £12.75m - I couldn't believe that I found him sitting in Porto's reserves as he looks a cracking player. He is at a brilliant age as well where he will be coming into his prime soon, so this could be a bargain.

Eduardo Jose - £5.25m - A solid looking young player who will help add to the midfield over the coming years, especially with Xabi Alonso closing in on his 40th birthday.

Fares Chiha - Loan - A player brought in due to a departure during the window, but till the end of the season he is a solid player to have.

Transfers - Out

With three departures in the month it allowed us to bring in some money to fund other transfers (although we had plenty of money, it just didn't affect our balance). We made some sales which brought in decent money, the biggest of which saw Jaime depart for Sevilla for £6.75m after complaining about the lack of first team football. It was a similar story for Igor Zozulya who departed the club for Russian side Rostov after just one year at the club. I also allowed Iker Undabarrena depart for struggling Athletic Bilbao and brought in a decent fee for him.

Radael Rivas - £12.75m - I couldn't believe that I found him sitting in Porto's reserves as he looks a cracking player. He is at a brilliant age as well where he will be coming into his prime soon, so this could be a bargain.

What a coup! Determination 20 as well! The Porto manager must be blind!

What is the ideal squad size for you ?

How is the youth intake treating you ?

There is space for a 25-man squad so I try and take full advantage of that. My youth intakes have been shocking :thdn:.

What a coup! Determination 20 as well! The Porto manager must be blind!

Definitely. Was absolutely thrilled to bring him in.

Agreed, looks an absolute cracker of a player to maraud done the left wing!
Rivas looks brilliant!

I'm hoping he can put the performances in over the coming months.

Make us dream!

I am dreaming myself.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - February 2021

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zps348be9f4.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages-2_zpsb8451a96.png

A perfect month with four wins from four and four clean sheets to go alongside them which leaves us sat top of the table with a game in hand.

We put in a brilliant performance against Osasuna as we swept them aside with ease. Two goals in six minutes put us firmly in control of the game and we headed into the second half in comfortable fashion. The second half was all about seeing it through and we did that while adding a third goal to further seal our win. Granada gave us a really tough game and were the better side over the 90 minutes but we showed our resilience throughout, keeping their attackers at bay whilst trying to be effective on the counter attack. Our hard work finally showed with just sixteen minute remaining on the clock as Ruben nodded home a cross to give us a very hard-earned 1-0 win. I made a lot of changes for the Sociedad game ahead of the Copa del Rey Semi-Final against the same side. We were by far the better team on the day but we had to settle for just a single goal which came in the first half. We made very hard work of things against Albacete despite dominating. We had to wait until the hour mark to break the deadlock to finally ease the nerves. Things were made a little easier when they had a man sent off not long after and the win was sealed in injury time.

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round 1st Leg

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-4_zps8fcd137f.png

Well things are going to be really tough now as we face an uphill task to make the Quarter-Final.

We played well which makes the result harder to take because we deserved at least a draw. The only goal of the game arrived just after the interval as United hit us on the counter attack. We had some brilliant chances, but failed to take them as we lost 1-0.

Copa del Rey Semi-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-5_zps2783192f.png

It wasn't easy by any stretch but we have managed to do enough to make our third Copa del Rey Final in a row.

Our squad was down to its bare bones for the first leg and I had a few players playing out of position but we battled on really well, taking the lead in just the thirteenth minute. Sociedad did level the game before the break and had the better of play in the second half but our tiring squad managed to hold on for a hard-earned draw. All the hard work in the second leg was done in the opening ten minutes as we scored twice during that period. We could have added more, but it wasn't to matter as we saw out the game for a 3-1 aggregate victory.

We face a repeat of last years Final as we will face Barcelona.

Christ you sod off to Germany for a day and miss a hell of alot! :eek:

Can't believe how well it is going in the league - nine wins in a row is some run! As for the cup, you really seem to have found a competition you love! Good luck in the final against Barca. As for the Champions League, a massively uphill task now unfortunately.

Christ you sod off to Germany for a day and miss a hell of alot! :eek:

Can't believe how well it is going in the league - nine wins in a row is some run! As for the cup, you really seem to have found a competition you love! Good luck in the final against Barca. As for the Champions League, a massively uphill task now unfortunately.

We have definitely been on a fantastic run of form in the league to put it in our hands rather than chasing teams down. Regarding the cup, sometimes I think it would be worth going out early to focus elsewhere but then we keep winning and once we reach the Quarters, and definitely the Semi's I want us to go all the way :D.

I am hoping we can make a good account of ourselves against United. I'm not expecting us to turn the result round, but it would be nice if we can make a good go of it.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - March 2021

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps9d49532a.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsff3ab146.png

Is this our time? A fantastic month has us in complete control of the league and we have opened up a fantastic gap ahead of our nearest rivals.

Our game in hand came against Valencia where we were given a very hard game. They were the better side throughout and took a deserved lead in the first half but after a firm telling at half-time we started quickly after the break and levelled the game in the 55th minute. From then on though it was about us hanging on and we there were times of last ditch defending, but we hung on for a valuable point. An absolutely fantastic first half display in the Nou Camp gave us a 1-0 lead, and that was the least we deserved. We battered Barcelona in the opening half and could have been a few goals up. After the break Barcelona came out much improve and levelled the game up by the hour. We tightened things up to try and stop their flow of attacks after they scored and began to slow the play down. With just ten minutes remaining we hit them on the counter and scored a brilliant second goal to give us a fantastic 2-1 win. We followed that up with an equally fantastic performance and result at home to Real Madrid. We once again put in an excellent first half and were leading by two goals at the break. Madrid pulled a goal back after the interval but it didn't stop our relentless pace and with just four minutes remaining we sealed the game with a third goal. Two solid performances rounded the month off as we scored three goals against both Real Betis and Las Palmas.

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round 2nd Leg

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps82a774ef.png

Well unfortunately we exit the competition early compared to last year but we put up a real fight.

United scored inside five minutes and it looked like that could be it but less than ten minutes later we levelled the game up on the night. The game was fairly even but we had some unbelievable chances to put us in front in the second half. We hit the woodwork twice but the best chance of all came injury time when our goalscorer broke through but blazed a one-on-one effort over the bar as we exited the competition.

Spain_National_Football_Team_badge_zps72dc9fc1.png

SRL88's Career - Spain - March 2021

World Cup Qualifier

Spain_FixturesSchedule_zps251394e0.png

FIFAWorldCupUEFAQualifyingSection_OverviewStages_zps8d3ada53.png

Another win under our belts but it wasn't the most convincing of results.

We were brilliant in the first half and the two goals that we scored were thoroughly deserved as we went in at the break two goals up. After the interval however our performance was lacklustre at best and Romania began working their way back into the game. They pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes remaining to make things really nervy for us, but we hung on for the win.

Christ the title is so close you can almost touch it. Fabulous. :thup:

Terrific effort against United, but like we agreed already it was always likely to be difficult. As for for the youth intake, you've had a bit of a 'mare yet again.

Fingers crossed you can hold firm and win the league.

As for the youth intake. The streak of bad intakes you are having is surely a record. You would expect at least 1 good player to come through in all that time. you haven't even had a half decent player let alone a good one.

Christ the title is so close you can almost touch it. Fabulous. :thup:

Terrific effort against United, but like we agreed already it was always likely to be difficult. As for for the youth intake, you've had a bit of a 'mare yet again.

Cheers dude. We're definitely closing in on it.

I was pleased with our efforts against United. I couldn't have asked for much more. As for the youth intakes, errrrgh :(.

How many stars in PA do you need before you sign a youth player from your intake ?

Also does you HOYD have 2 strikers in his preferred formation for you seem to be getting a lot of them ?

Their PA needs to be at least 3*. The reason being that their rating always change through development so if they are listed as 2 1/2*, that will usually drop to 2* pretty quickly. My HOYD's favoured position is 3-5-2, so yes.

Fingers crossed you can hold firm and win the league.

As for the youth intake. The streak of bad intakes you are having is surely a record. You would expect at least 1 good player to come through in all that time. you haven't even had a half decent player let alone a good one.

Cheers fella. Nearly there :cool:.

I honestly can't remember a good player who has come through the ranks, and those that were half decent have since moved on.

Gotta improve the facilities first man

They are listed as good and as of yet I can't improve them any more.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - April 2021

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps3ddda899.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsfe7b1430.png

A fantastic month as we claimed our first ever La Liga title.

We faced a very tough game against an Athletic Bilbao side battling for survival and they made things really tough for us. The only goal of the game came in the first half when Rafael Rivas scored his first goal for the club. Bilbao had some very good chances but we hung on for a valuable 1-0 win. We followed that up with another tough away game against a side battling for survival and we had to wait until the second half to take the lead. The same player who won us the game in our previous match doubled his goal tally for the club in as many games to give us the lead and less than ten minutes later we doubled our lead to seal the three points. A quick start against Malaga had us in front inside ten minutes and right on the brink of half-time we doubled our lead. In the second half we were very poor and Malaga began working their way back into the game. We did have our chances but they were few and far between after a dominating the first half and just after the hour mark they pulled a goal back and made things very difficult for us but we managed to battle our way through the rest of the game to give us another three points. We officially sealed the league with a win over Getafe. We were nervous throughout the first half but when we broke the deadlock it settled us down. That allowed us to come out in the second half with confidence and before the hour mark we doubled our lead which put the title firmly in our grasp. A third goal was added to further seal our victory and once the whistle went we could finally celebrate.

Told you the success would come once you tightened up that defence. Huge, huge congratulations.

Cheers dude.

Our defence has been fantastic this season. I haven't changed anything tactically so it is big credit to the players really.

Copa_del_Rey_logo_since_2012_zps375a48f9.png

Copa del Rey Final

How we got to the Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps6bc36925.png

We had a fantastic run to the Final as we remained unbeaten throughout.

In the Fourth Round we were given our usual fixture against lower-league opposition who provided no threat to us and we swept them aside 8-0 over the two games. That is when things began to pick up as we faced three La Liga sides on-route to the Final. Athletic Bilbao gave us a really tough tie and the first leg was a one to savour for the neutrals. All five goals came in a blistering first half as we narrowly defeated them 3-2. We managed to battle our way through the second leg as well to set up an equally tough tie against Atletico Madrid which produced the same two score lines. In the first leg against Real Sociedad I had to field a very tired squad and it showed in our performance. It wasn't our best, but we managed to grind out a 1-1 draw. The second leg saw us do all the hard work early on with two goals and we comfortably saw out the rest of the game to book our place in the Final.

Starting Line-Up's

SantAndreuvBarcelona_AnalysisFormations_zpsf8e81c66.png

There were a couple of players unavailable for selection (Antonio Donoso and Antonio Luis) but otherwise we had all players available for selection. I put out a very strong side for the Final with all selected players in good form for us.

The Final

vs. FC Barcelona

SantAndreuvBarcelona_PitchSplit_zps0a776d9d.png

A remarkable achievement as we claimed our second Copa del Rey crown in three years, but an extra added bonus being that we managed to avenge our defeat to Barcelona from last years Final.

We started the game really quickly and shocked our opponents with two goals in as many minutes to put us two goals up. Importantly, despite Barcelona having numerous chances before the break we managed to see out the half and go in at the interval two goals up, something which was of major benefit.

Barcelona started the second half the much better side and pushed for a goal which did arrive in the 65th minute. That goal could easily have put us on the back-foot but I tweaked things a little and it allowed us to regain control and just seven minutes later we added a third goal. That really did kill off Barcelona as they offered very little from then on.

Well done on a remarkable achievement. what's the plan for next season? stick with the current squad and supplement with youth. Or are some big name/money signings on the way to help you retain the league title?

Well then, that's quite an achievement.
Well done on your double!

Cheers lads :thup:.

Well done on a remarkable achievement. what's the plan for next season? stick with the current squad and supplement with youth. Or are some big name/money signings on the way to help you retain the league title?

What youth? :D

I don't see there being many changes in the squad as a whole but what I will do is the same as every season, make some changes to improve the squad as a whole.

Archived