This isn't Spain. This is Catalonia, and we will be Top Dogs

SRL88

I'm defo going to need some luck. Bottom of the league on 17 points after 36 games. Where's the 'bribe referees/players/EVERYONE' button? :lol: This season is shaping up nicely for you though

Well stick at is, you never know.

And cheers :thup:.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SANT-ANDREU_zps02a2dd62.jpg

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - January 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsc77f5513.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsea030007.png

A very stuttering month where we just couldn't get going following the winter break.

Saying that, we did pick up a brilliant win away to Mallorca where we were forced to come from behind. We levelled the game from the penalty spot and went in at the break that way but the second half was sheer dominance on our part. It didn't take us long to take the lead after the break and we didn't look back from there with us adding another three goals in a good evening for us. We had to really battle our way to a draw with Atletico Madrid where despite absolutely battering them we failed to break them down and that came back to bite us when they took the lead on the hour mark. We got a slice of luck when their goalkeeper dropped a cross which fell kindly to Ruben who prodded home to give us a draw. A brilliant first half sent us on our way to victory against Valencia with us scoring twice in as many minutes. That game was followed up with a very disappointing point at Deportivo, especially having led 2-0 with just twenty minutes left. A late collapse though meant we had to settle for a point. The month rounded off with a disappointing performance away to Real Madrid as we fell to a 1-0 defeat.

Copa del Rey 5th Round & Quarter-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsfa628040.png

Very good work from our side as we booked our place in the Semi-Final of this competition yet again.

We put in a brilliant performance in the Camp Nou with two goals in four first half minutes put us in control but Barcelona pulled a goal back before the break. We didn't allow that to dampen our spirits as we kept pushing forward and doubled our lead once again. Barcelona did pull a goal back late on but it didn't effect things too much as we won the game 3-2. We removed any possible doubts about the result in the second leg as we gave them a first half battering to win the tie.

Things were much tougher against Las Palmas, but I did make a lot of changes for both games. We started the first leg quickly and were a goal up inside ten minutes. We controlled the game without looking too effective and that allowed Las Palmas to pull a goal back in the second half. Just when it looked like the game would finish in a draw we found a winner to give us the advantage in the tie. After taking the lead in the second leg it looked like we were all set for victory but Las Palmas made it a nervy 25 minutes for us at the end of the game when they levelled things up on the night, but we hung on for a narrow 3-2 aggregate victory.

In the Semi-Final we have been drawn against Valencia with the winners facing the winner of the Real Madrid/Sporting tie.

Transfers - In

Pol Balleste - £190k - This deal was brought about due to a sale and we needed another goalkeeper. For a back-up and for the price, this is a good deal.

Benjamin Marin - £1.2m - A solid young midfielder who gives us another option in a strong area of the field for us.

Transfers - Out

Although a very good goalkeeper he wanted first team football and the form of Yann Sommer was keeping him out of the side. I allowed him to leave once we found a suitable buyer at a good price.

Great defensive record bud, are you still playing 4-2-3-1 deep?

Yeah I am. I've been playing the same formation since the start of the save. The only tweaks have been in tactics really, but not much.

Hopefully, you'll pick up the scoring form with some European games :)

We have a tough game in Europe against Bayern, but we will give it our all, and hopefully battle past them.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - February 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps9749d270.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps2fc194c2.png

After an average start to the year we managed to pick up form in February and get a fair amount of points on the table to keep us top of the league.

After defeat in Madrid we were a little nervy against Sporting but two first half goals did the job for us. In the second half we were settled and we managed to see through the rest of the game professionally for a solid win. Ruben stole the show against Villarreal as he hit a fantastic four goals in the game while providing the assist for the other as we romped home to a 5-2 victory. Another good win on the road followed, this time away to Athletic Bilbao. The first half was key for us once again as we found ourselves two goals up at the break. We had to defend well at times during the second half and we did just that before adding a third late on. I was very, very disappointed to round the month off with a draw but Sevilla were defensively sound throughout the game and denied us victory against them yet again this season. We took the lead but just couldn't find that second goal and paid for it late on.

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round 1st Leg

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsea33bd76.png

Advantage Sant Andreu, but just.

We were brilliant throughout the game and thoroughly deserved our win and we found two brilliant first half goals to put us in control of the game. Bayern came back into things in the second half and we just couldn't hang on for that decisive two goal victory.

Copa del Rey Semi-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zps83178916.png

A brilliant result over the two-legs means we reach our fourth Final in a row.

We played well in the first leg as a much-changed line-up battled their way to a solid 1-1 draw. The second leg sealed things for us though and we flew out of the blocks, scoring inside a minute to put us 2-1 up on aggregate. We doubled our lead on the night not long after and in the second half sealed the tie with a well-worked goal.

The Final see's us face Real Madrid.

euro-trophy_zps17391f60.jpg

UEFA 2024 European Championship Qualifying Draw

EuroQualifiers_OverviewStages_zpsa37a0fc9.png

I am relatively pleased with this draw. There will be some tricky ties, most notably Romania, Ireland and Israel, but I am more than confident that we will qualify for the Euro's from this group.

The last time I looked in this thread you had just taken Sant Andreu to the Liga BBVA and now I come back and you have taken them to a BBVA title, won two Copa Del Reys, broke the dominance of the big two and even managed to get the Spain job all within eight seasons good work! In terms of the current season , its a shame you couldn't hold out for the two goal cushion away goals are always a problem for me, but you should still be able to progress.

There will be some tricky ties, most notably Romania, Ireland and Israel

I like the fact that 'most notably' means you're not ruling our Andorra (the only other side) as a threat. Can't accuse you of underestimating opponents :D

The last time I looked in this thread you had just taken Sant Andreu to the Liga BBVA and now I come back and you have taken them to a BBVA title, won two Copa Del Reys, broke the dominance of the big two and even managed to get the Spain job all within eight seasons good work! In terms of the current season , its a shame you couldn't hold out for the two goal cushion away goals are always a problem for me, but you should still be able to progress.

Haha. You have certainly missed a lot then :D.

We have made remarkable strides forward as a club and can now be considered as a major force on all fronts. I firmly believe the big-two are now broken, but I wouldn't be surprised at any point to see one of them overhaul us.

I like the fact that 'most notably' means you're not ruling our Andorra (the only other side) as a threat. Can't accuse you of underestimating opponents :D

Well, it would be rude to rule them out :D.

Spain_National_Football_Team_badge_zps72dc9fc1.png

SRL88's Career - Spain - March 2022

Friendly

Spain_FixturesSchedule_zpsf7b50446.png

Having set up this friendly it was never going to be a case of us being stretched too much, but I wanted a mid-season friendly in the sun for the players, allowing them a bit of relaxing time and a training style match.

We battered them as the scoreline suggests and it was nice to see two of my players getting on the score sheet with Ruben bagging himself a hat-trick. All in all, a very easy evening in the Maldives.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-2_zps24edf2b7.png

Very positive news about the training facilities.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox1_zpsaaeb0430.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-3_zps3778dc4b.png

On the back of yet another poor youth intake I managed to get the board to at least agree to some further extensions.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - March 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps9e669ce8.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps76427770.png

A very solid month in truth as it saw us open up a four point gap at the top of the table with just eight games to go.

We were given a very difficult game against Las Palmas and we were frustrated throughout. The only goal of the game came very late on when we were awarded a dubious penalty which was converted to give us the three points. Things were much more open against Espanyol as we comfortably swept them aside with a brilliant attacking display. Despite falling behind in the opening ten minutes it didn't effect us and we quickly equalised and in the second half put three goals past them to seal a comfortable win. With tiredness beginning to set in I had to change our tactics completely against Malaga and go with three holding midfielder's. That didn't stop us in our tracks though as we put in a very good performance and two first half goals set us on our way to another three points. Those goals allowed us to sit back in the second half and we limited Malaga to long-range shots which didn't trouble us. Levante gave us a tough game to round the month off, and us not being at our best allowed them to grab a hard-earned point.

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round 2nd Leg

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpscc2b421c.png

I am absolutely gutted in truth. We played ever so well and came extremely close to knocking the holders out.

We fell behind in the game which put Bayern ahead on the away goals rule, but right on the brink of half-time we levelled things up on the night to give us the advantage once again. We looked set to be going through but late on Bayern scored to deny us what would have been a huge scalp in Europe. Extra-time passed by without incident as both sides tired and the game went to penalties. In what was a shoot-out of excellent penalties, we just couldn't hold our nerve when it came to our fifth taker, and that miss saw us exit the competition.

Losing on pens is always a sucker punch, but they are German, so did you expect much else? In my mind, German penalty shoot outs go on forever as the b*stards never miss! :lol:

In my save, the Sant Andreu manager got sacked and due to this thread, I was half tempted to go for it :thup:

Losing on pens is always a sucker punch, but they are German, so did you expect much else? In my mind, German penalty shoot outs go on forever as the b*stards never miss! :lol:

In my save, the Sant Andreu manager got sacked and due to this thread, I was half tempted to go for it :thup:

We were unlucky, but overall I am proud of the players as they were fantastic over the two legs. They couldn't have done much more really.

That's a tough loss to take, but you're still doing great in the La Liga.
Doing very well in the title race, though :thup:

Definitely. Although we are on top in the league, we clearly have a long way to go in Europe.

Cruel way to go out, but when its germans on penalties then you sually know it won't end well. Still atleast your on your way to another title

We have to keep going though. We can't rest on our laurels.

Copa_del_Rey_logo_since_2012_zps375a48f9.png

Copa del Rey Final

How we got to the Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsdd29d634.png

We had a pretty solid run to the Final and beat some big sides along the way.

The usual tie against lower-league sides was a breeze before being drawn against the big guns and they don't come much tougher that Barcelona. My players were brilliant in both legs and it is difficult to pick the better performance. A win in the Nou Camp was massive and gave us a huge advantage in the tie, but the way in which we blew them away in the second leg was truly fantastic. Las Palmas made things really difficult for us in the Quarter-Final and we had to work hard. A stoppage time goal in the first leg gave us a slender advantage, but we were a little nervy in the second leg as we played out a 1-1 draw, but that managed to see us through. A solid draw in the Semi-Final first leg was followed up by a brilliant home display as we powered past Valencia and into the Final.

Starting Line-Up's

RealMadridvSantAndreu_PreviewLineUps_zpsd60b7639.png

I couldn't have picked a stronger line-up in fairness. The big-guns are all there for us. The only problem we have is we have only one available goalkeeper, so if anything was to happen there, we would be in trouble.

The Match

vs. Real Madrid

RealMadridvSantAndreu_PitchSplit_zps69a03ba1.png

Brilliant!! Our third Copa del Rey in just four years. What a remarkable achievement.

The game was extremely even and could have gone either way, but when Ruben scored in the 81st minute I thought that was it, but really deep into stoppage time they levelled things to send it into the extra half hour. We still had a lot left in the tank during extra-time and in the 105th minute we retook the lead as Ruben grabbed his second of the game. Once again we couldn't hold on though and the game went into penalties.

Unlike the Bayern game though, this was our turn to have a penalty shoot-out victory as we held our nerve in the shoot-out, but it was Sommer who was the hero, saving two penalties.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - April 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps8ad96cf9.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps7620a94d.png

An absolutely blistering month as we went goal crazy and pushed us ever closer to a second La Liga title.

Looking at the scoreline, it was hard to believe that the game was goalless against Real Sociedad at half-time because we were brilliant after the break. The first goal came quickly after the break and from then we battered them as we went crazy with a further four goals. We scored another five goals against Osasuna but this time we were the benefiters from a quick start. Ruben gave us an early lead and we didn't look back from there. We were 4-0 up at the break and with the game sealed we took our foot off the pedal after the break. We did concede, but added a fifth as well to give us a 5-1 win. I sent out a much-changed line-up against Barcelona, just four days before the Copa del Rey Final and the players rewarded me with a solid point on the road. We followed that up by coming from behind against Elche to give us another big win before rounding the month off by thumping Granada 6-1.

Copa del Rey Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zps598a590f.png

In an even game which saw us take the lead twice and not hang on, we managed to hold our nerve on penalties to give us our third Copa del Rey crown in four years.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - May 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps5990a692.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps7d645ea3.png

An excellent season has ended with us claiming the La Liga title.

We picked up a hard-earned win away to Celta Vigo and the first half was key as we grabbed both goals which gave us a huge victory. We were set for disappointment against Atletico despite taking the lead. We just couldn't hang on to the result as we fell to a narrow defeat, with the decisive goal coming in stoppage time. Luckily, just hours later Real Madrid lost at Celta Vigo and that handed us the title. We rounded the season off in fine style with an excellent 4-0 win at home to Mallorca.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-8_zpsea3060eb.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-7_zpsc03a4b61.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-9_zpse3c250af.png

All awards swept up by Ruben.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-10_zps73eaee89.png

By far the best goalkeeper in the league this season and a thoroughly deserved award.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-11_zps36c61b75.png

I am very pleased to claim a personal award also.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-12_zps1b1e21e1.png

Very nice to see four of my players in the Team of the Year.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Season Review - 2021/22

Liga BBVA

Results (Aug - Dec) - Results (Jan - May)

League Performance: 1st - CHAMPIONS

Another excellent season as we managed to claim our second league title in a row. We didn't amass the amount of points as we did last season but our attack was just unbelievable in comparison. We scored 21 more goals than last season as we blitzed our way to the title. It was only ever a two-horse race really as Barcelona were completely off the pace with us and Real. We were always ahead of our main rivals but they kept up with us and maintained that pressure on us all the way until the penultimate game of the season when we finally managed to claim the title.

UEFA Champions League

Competition Performance: Knocked out in First Knockout Round

We exited the competition at the same phase as last season which was a shame. I would have liked to go a round further, but given our group we were always going to struggle to win it which would have helped with the draw for the next round. We managed to finish second behind Man City to qualify from the group but were unlucky to have drawn the winners of the last two finals in Bayern Munich. We pushed them all the way but couldn't hold our nerves in a penalty shoot-out as we exited the competition.

Copa del Rey

Competition Performance: Winners

Four Finals in a row and we have now won three of those. This is definitely a competition which we seem to like as we continue to have success in it. We beat our opponents in the last two Finals (Barcelona) along the way to the Final where we met Real Madrid for the first time. In what was an even game it went all the way to penalties, and just weeks after exiting to Champions League on penalties, we managed to put that issue behind us and claim another Copa del Rey on penalties.

Supercopa

Competition Performance: Winners

This was the first part of what turned into a domestic treble. We played out a 2-2 draw in the Nou Camp and then a solid win at home saw us claim our first Supercopa.

Squad

I believe this squad is at its peak. There aren't many areas where I would like to improve because the squad I have is fantastic.

Transfers - Finances

We spent a decent amount on players this season with the bulk of the money going on two players.

Our finances look very healthy.

Player of the Season

1st - Ruben - I don't need to say much really. Those statistics speak for themselves.

2nd - Rafael Rivas - He really managed to come into his own this season and had a brilliant campaign with plenty of goals and assists.

3rd - Javier Dominguez - As solid as a rock at the back. He had a brilliant campaogn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Champ. League | Europa League | Copa del Rey | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2013/14 | Segunda Div. B3 | 3rd | - | - | Second Round | Promoted via Play-Off's |
| 2014/15 | Liga Adelante | 5th | - | - | Third Round | Play-Off Semi-Final |
| 2015/16 | Liga Adelante | 1st | - | - | Second Round | Promoted as Champions |
| 2016/17 | Liga BBVA | 10th | - | - | Fourth Round | - |
| 2017/18 | Liga BBVA | 6th | - | - | Fifth Round | Europa League Qualification |
| 2018/19 | Liga BBVA | 3rd | - | 2nd KO Round | Winners | Champions League Qualification |
| 2019/20 | Liga BBVA | 3rd | Semi-Final | - | Runners-Up | Supercopa Runners-Up |
| 2020/21 | Liga BBVA | 1st | 1st KO Round | - | Winners | - |
| 2021/22 | Liga BBVA | 1st | 1st KO Round | - | Winners | Supercopa Winners |[/Code]

[center][size=3][b]Next Season[/b][/size]

I said last season I didn't expect us to win it again because of our competition and I was wrong. Now, I believe we are in a position where we could go on and win it again. I do want to go further in Europe however.[/center]

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox_zps22bb8c34.png

Excellent news that we will be back in our own stadium next season.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-2_zpsecbbb53d.png

This is huge news for the clubs future.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-3_zpsc00df6d6.png

And another excellent achievement for Ruben.

Spain_National_Football_Team_badge_zps72dc9fc1.png

SRL88's Career - Spain - June 2022

World Cup Warm-Up Friendlies

Spain_FixturesSchedule_zpsf9636423.png

Well we are nearly there now and these are the friendlies which send us into the World Cup. I set up the friendlies to try and prepare us for the sides we would be facing in the World Cup.

I was very disappointed to only manage a draw with Sweden. It wasn't our best performance and they held the lead at half-time. After levelling things in the second half through an unlikely source we really should have pushed on but didn't and had to settle for a draw. We turned on the style against South Korea and Ruben helped himself to a hat-trick while another of our players scored our fourth. We surprisingly fell behind against the Dominican Republic but equalised quickly. It took us until after the hour to take the lead but two goals in as many minutes sealed the win. As per FIFA regulations we had to set up a game against one of the host nations club sides and that turned out to be a very easy victory as we go into the World Cup full of confidence.

Trophy-1_zpse943ac33.png

2022 FIFA World Cup

Group G

Spain_FixturesSchedule_zps0dca03ff.png

FIFAWorldCup_OverviewStages-2_zpsc77363d8.png

We qualified from our group in extremely comfortable fashion. We took our time getting going against Finland and the nerves were definitely there, but once that first goal went in it settled us down. The second half saw us settle the game with a further three goals in a very nice scoreline for us. We followed that up with an equally comfortable performance against Japan. We didn't take as long to get going in this game and two goals in three minutes (15 and 18) saw us two goals up. We added a third before the break to send us in at half-time with the game practically over. Japan pulled a goal back early in the second half but Ruben scored his third goal of the game to seal the match before we added a fifth to make things a little better for us. After making a lot of changes for our final group game it was nice to see the fringe players grab a win.

Other Groups

FIFAWorldCup_OverviewStages-3_zps20750936.png

FIFAWorldCup_OverviewStages-4_zpsf496f0be.png

FIFAWorldCup_OverviewStages-5_zpsd2e60c47.png

Second Round Draw

FIFAWorldCup_OverviewStages_zps638ab00f.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox_zpsa8b4821c.png

So we are all set for the World Cup Final and we go into the game as slight outsiders against the current holders.

Trophy-1_zpse943ac33.png

2022 FIFA World Cup

Final

Starting Line-Up

SpainvBrazil_AnalysisFormations-2_zps0920e4d0.png

We go into this game playing our strongest possible line-up. After so many games players are obviously tired compared to our first game of the tournament, but there isn't a player I would have picked ahead of those who started this game for us.

Final

vs. Brazil

SpainvBrazil_PitchSplit_zps0829d90f.png

An absolutely remarkable achievement for us as a nation. I'm chuffed.

We played really well in the game and when our captain gave us the lead I jumped for joy. Our lead didn't last long though as Brazil soon levelled from a corner and we went in at the break level. We started the second half unbelievably fast and Isco gave us the lead once again after a rapid attack from kick-off. Nerves began to kick in late on in the game, but our players stood firm as we held on for a major victory.

I've been reading this throughout but never felt the need to post. But England? Who the hell is managing them?

It was Laurent Blanc, but we was sacked, obviously :D. Ricardo Moniz is now in charge.

I was going to say. Does it not appeal to try and get the England job?

I haven't thought about it. I could have had it, but I would at least like to have a go at the Euro's also.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-32_zps2d6b98eb.png

A great record to set on what turned out to be his final International appearance.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-5_zps42fb5064.png

Definitely a Spanish legend, and lifting the World Cup in his final International appearance was a fitting end.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox2_zps09abc966.png

After taking over with us outside the top ten and now to be ranked number one in the world, I am delighted.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-6_zpsaca349da.png

They should be delighted.

Shocking decision by Ramos not to play one more game so he can get to 200 appearances. Or appalling management by yourself not to squeeze a friendly in somewhere so he can get 200 caps.

Haha. Blame him. I couldn't have fitted anymore fixtures in :D.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-2_zps68dd6e50.png

Just shows how excellent his season.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox_zps9d4f7756.png

Obviously playing in a bigger stadium which wasn't ours helped. I will be glad to be back at home next season.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Season Preview - 2022/23

Board Expectations:

Liga BBVA: Challenge for the Title

UEFA Champions League: Reach the Quarter-Final

Copa del Rey: Not Important

Supercopa: Not Important

My Expectations:

Liga BBVA: Challenging for the title is definitely the aim. We are one of the top three, so finishing there is the expectancy

UEFA Champions League: Reaching the Quarter's won't be easy. It all depends on our draw in the groups because I expect us to be second seeds once again

Copa del Rey: We love this competition so if we went far once again I would be delighted

Supercopa: I'm not fussed either way, but a win would be nice

Budgets:

Transfer: £44.75m

Wage: £1,407,462 (currently spending £1,200, 372)

Balance: £59,255,661 (+6,872,139 since last season)

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Pre-Season - 2022/23

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps27eb65cb.png

For me this was a pretty odd pre-season. We had a poor defeat and a very poor draw while winning the rest of our games.

Transfers - In

Andrey Maximov - £6m - An excellent young goalkeeper who gives us excellent competition for what we already have at the club.

Cesar Azpillicueta - £6m - Now a vitally experienced footballer he is nearing the end of his career. I still feel he has a lot to offer though and could be an excellent capture for us.

Transfers - Out

Three departures during the summer. The sale of Niels Lyskov was the big deal as we sold him just a year after bringing him in on a free transfer. He was more of a back-up and wanted to leave for first team football and a £8.5m profit on him was a positive note. The other departures were a case of us improving the squad as a whole.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - August 2022

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps9d9fb533.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsc45fbedc.png

After a disappointing start to the season on the opening day we managed to turn our month around with two dominating performances.

We were poor away to Real Madrid, very poor. We didn't deserve anything from the game and it could have easily been more. We managed to put in an excellent performance at home to Racing Club and Alfonso Ibarra put us in a comanding position with a brace. In the second half we continued our dominance in the game and added another two goals to give us a comfortable victory. Two goals in four minutes put us in control against Celta Vigo and it looked like that is how it would finish, but a blistering six minute spell late on saw us finish the game as 5-0 victors.

Supercopa

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps3aa33b64.png

These fixtures meant that we had played Real Madrid three times in our opening four games in the season.

Our two performances in these games were much better than the league fixture and we won both ties 1-0. Madrid were slightly better than us in the first leg, but that early goal by Adnan Januzaj gave us something to hang onto to give us a solid win. In the second leg however we were the much better side and absolutely dominated. Until we found that goal I was always nervous, but a 72nd minute goal settled the tie for us.

Transfers - In

The Final bits of Business

Aidan McLeod - £2.9m - He's 16 for crying out loud, and look at him!!!

Ferran - £2m - Definitely a decent striker for the club in a time when we need a player who will be happy to be a back-up.

Joao Santos - Loan - Our defence is pretty solid but I felt like we needed an extra player in there. Luckily our defence is so versatile, so when we needed a centre back I knew I could shift full-backs into that position, allowing me to bring in a back-up full-back.

Transfers - Out

The Final bits of Business

Just the one departure before deadline day. We made a decent profit on a player we only signed for £1m last season, but he rarely started due to the excellence of Ruben and I felt it was a good deal.

ChampionsLeagueLogo_zpsd98e6cde.gif

Group Stage Draw

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zpsc5ddb1ad.png

I am delighted with this draw to be honest. I knew we would get a big side due to us being in pot two, but I am pleased with Bayern Munich because it allows us to try and get revenge on them for knocking us out last season. PSV and Celtic, although big clubs in their respective nations they shouldn't provide that much trouble for us.

Archived