This isn't Spain. This is Catalonia, and we will be Top Dogs

SRL88

SANT-ANDREU_zps02a2dd62.jpg

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - May 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps941e6a10.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps1371ba2d.png

A very solid end to the season as we sealed a place in the top three, and most importantly, ensured that we avoid that dreaded play-off tie.

Our performance against Albacete was first class. We absolutely battered them but as the first half wore on I was wondering if we would break down their stubborn defence. Once we did it became a walk in the park and an early second half goal was added too with a late second half goal in a 3-0 win. We grabbed a brilliant win away to Athletic Bilbao. We started a little nervy but grew into the game and once we took the lead from the penalty spot we controlled things from then on. We doubled our lead before the break and added a third just ten minutes after the restart to seal the game. Bilbao did pull a goal back, but it proved to be just a consolation. We were left frustrated with a goalless draw against Sevilla which meant we went into the final day of the season just a point ahead of Valencia in a game which determined third spot. We put in a brilliant display and an early goal settled us quickly. We had our luck at times defensively but we managed to score a second to seal the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Season Review - 2018/19

Liga BBVA

Results (Aug - Dec) - Results (Jan - Jun)

League Performance: 3rd

Our push forward as a club continues in fantastic fashion. That now makes it all of the six seasons I have been in charge that we have made strides forward, but to be doing it consistently well in La Liga is a brilliant achievement.

We started the season with a narrow defeat against Barcelona but then went on a fantastic sixteen game unbeaten run in the league which took us into the new year. That allowed for us to put ourselves in a really solid position in the league going into the second half of the season. After Christmas we suffered four defeats on the road which cost us in terms of the title, but we were always chasing a Champions League place. That was officially sealed towards the end of the season and a victory on the final day ensured we finished above Valencia to automatically qualify for the Champions League.

UEFA Europa League

Competition Performance: Knocked out in Second Knockout Round

Given that this was our first ever European adventure I was absolutely chuffed with our performance. After working our way past APOEL Nicosia in the Play-Off we were given a relatively kind group which we managed to work our way through unbeaten. In the knockout rounds we faced two European giants. The first being Ajax saw us battle our way through 2-1 on aggregate before a narrow defeat by the same scoreline saw us exit the competition to AC Milan.

Copa del Rey

Competition Performance: Winners

A brilliant achievement and the first ever major trophy of my career. After easing past Alcorcon we had a tough route to the Final. In both the Fifth Round and Semi-Final we did all the hard work in the first leg at home while battling our way through the second leg to seal our passage. We also beat Barcelona narrowly on route in what was a very good run to the Final. In that match we were heavy favourites and absolutely dominated. The game was simply a case of how many as Cordoba only mustered one shot at goal and that came very late on. We did a thoroughly professional job in a dominant 2-0 win.

Squad

We definitely have a talented bunch of lads who seem to be getting better and better. As always though, with the step up in competition, changes will need to be made.

Transfers - Finances

This was our busiest transfer window in terms of money spent which was helped along by smashing our transfer record. Not much was brought in, but the right players exited the club.

The finances look healthy, and with Europe's elite competition on the way I am hoping they will only get better.

Player of the Season

1st - Osnar Noronha - A very good season from him. He kind of just went about his business quietly but chipped in massively with goals and assists.

2nd - Xabi Alonso - He is 37 years of age now but he's still got it. A very solid season from him and he has been given an extra season.

3rd - Georgi Terziev - Another who has a solid season. He is our leader at the back and organises the defence very well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | Champ. League | Europa League | Copa del Rey | Notes |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2013/14 | Segunda Div. B3 | 3rd | - | - | Second Round | Promoted via Play-Off's |
| 2014/15 | Liga Adelante | 5th | - | - | Third Round | Play-Off Semi-Final |
| 2015/16 | Liga Adelante | 1st | - | - | Second Round | Promoted as Champions |
| 2016/17 | Liga BBVA | 10th | - | - | Fourth Round | - |
| 2017/18 | Liga BBVA | 6th | - | - | Fifth Round | Europa League Qualification |
| 2018/19 | Liga BBVA | 3rd | - | 2nd KO Round | Winners | Champions League Qualification |[/Code]

[center][size=3][b]Next Season[/b][/size]

Anything similar to this season would be a plus. If we can qualify for the Champions League again and make a nuisance of ourselves in that competition then I will be pleased.[/center]

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Season Preview - 2019/20

Board Expectations:

Liga BBVA: Qualify for the Europa League

UEFA Champions League: Reach the Group Stage

Copa del Rey: Reach the Quarter-Final

Supercopa: Not Important

My Expectations:

Liga BBVA: I set the expectations low myself so I wasn't under too much pressure. Champions League qualification once again would be massive though

UEFA Champions League: With the board expectations already met having finished third last season it is a case of see what we can do. I would like to see us finish at least third in the group to ensure European football after Christmas

Copa del Rey: Another good run would be nice but I am not classing it as essential

Supercopa: See what we can do. We are going to be facing Real Madrid so I am not expecting to win it

Budgets:

Transfer: £16.6m

Wage: £543,910 (currently spending £530,949)

Balance: £21,248,973 (+7,383,009 since last season)

Projected Balance: £26.76m

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - Pre-Season - 2019/20

Friendlies

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsc7e17197.png

A very solid pre-season in which we got a few good wins over some decent opponents. We started slowly with a goalless draw in China before defeat in Portugal but soon picked things up as we won our remaining games. The stand-out wins were against Club Brugge, Anderlecht and River Plate. Pre-season rounded off with two easy wins against non-league sides.

Transfers

SantAndreu_TransfersTransferHistory_zpsaafa3cd9.png

A productive rather than busy pre-season in terms of transfers for us. There were signings but not to a mass extent with there being more departures over the summer. It was definitely a case of us trying to improve the squad in order to compete both domestically and in Europe.

The players who were sold for actual money were those who have helped out over the last few seasons following our promotion but were only squad players really. Cashing in on them allowed for me to free up the wages to start bringing in a better calliper of player. We made some decent money over the course of the summer while also getting rid of youngsters who weren't making the grade and finally getting Sidnei out of the club for good.

Sergi Samper

A very solid acquisition and with Xabi Alonso nearing retirement I had to start planning for the future. This now gives us four very solid defensive midfielder's in one of our strongest areas on the pitch.

Christian Romanini

A solid player to help boost the squad for the season. He will definitely add competition for places which is never bad to have.

Ruben

A cracking transfer for us to have pulled off and at a brilliant age for the future. He broke into the Sevilla team last season so I was very surprised they allowed him to leave for so little, but their loss is our gain.

Felipe Jimenez

Another good young Spanish player on our books now. Very pleased to have captured this lad.

Francois Bailleul

Our new record transfer and for his age this guys is somewhat of a coup. He is already a cracking defender and will be a beast in the coming years.

Well done on your first trophy win, won't be long before you can overhaul Barcelona and Real Madrid

Cheers fella. I am hopeful that we can continue to challenge them like we did last season.

ChampionsLeagueLogo_zpsd98e6cde.gif

Group Stage Draw

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zps44db999d.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages-2_zps81bd8162.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages-3_zps0882c584.png

When the draw was complete I looked at all the groups and I don't think there is a group I would say I would rather be in. I'm pretty pleased with this to be fair and although there won't be any easy games, I am confident we can finish at least third.

Not a bad draw at all! Really think you could qualify!
Definitely a promising draw.

Completely agree. We could definitely be a banana skin for a couple of teams and cause a surprise or two.

I've tried to sign Samper a few times but he always signs a new contract with Barca.

Excellent season gone by! And that's not a bad group. Good luck against my boys, Anderlecht!!

Well Samper spent a season at Granada without playing much at all and then I signed him. Kind of like a right place at the right time for us.

Pretty good draw for you.

I agree :).

Definitely the best of the rest now :thup:

Time to gun down the big two.

I'm not quite sure about that yet, but we are getting there. Our next step is to split them before toppling them.

Congrats on the great season and cup success and yeah, that's a very decent draw too! :)

Cheers fella :thup:.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - August 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps232c166d.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps56729230.png

I'm certainly not complaining about our start to the season. I am pretty pleased with things.

We had a very comfortable start to the season with an opening day win against Sporting. We got off to a flying start with a goal after just six minutes. We controlled the game throughout and found the net again after 34 minutes. The second half was very straight forward as we comfortably saw the game out whilst adding a third in the process. For over 70 minutes against Sevilla we were poor, but we finally found the net to level the game in the 79th minute. Just a few minutes later we took the lead, and we really should have seen through the game but failed to do so as we conceded late on.

Supercopa

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zpsb3873ade.png

Well there was nothing separating us as the tie went all the way too penalties. In both legs, defences came out on top in two goalless draws. Just one penalty was missed and that was by us as we were defeated in the shoot out.

Transfers - In

The Rest of the Business

Alex Serrano - Loan - A home-grown player who gives us a little more depth to the squad.

Nejc Borko - Loan - Another late loan deal but a cracking player to be fair. A very good young player.

Transfers - Out

Two players left the club on deadline day.

The deal to allow Victor Valero was purely based on allowing him to get as much first-team football as possible. Hopefully it will benefit him in the long-run over the coming years. I also allowed Diego Lopes to leave the club. I considered it all summer long before allowing the deal to go through.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - September 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps97f01d87.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsd83bd876.png

A month littered with draws, but when you consider our opponents I am pleased that we avoided defeat against such big teams.

The only result I was disappointed with was the draw with Deportivo. After conceding very early on we levelled things pretty quickly and then went on to take the lead, going in at the break 2-1 up. We should have pushed on in the second half but failed to take any of our chances which came back to bite us late on when they equalised. Another 2-2 draw followed that against Real Madrid. 1-0 down, we were struggling to be fair but when Stanley Okoro drew us level it changed the game for us. It gave us a bit of authority in the game and allowed for us to push on and we found a second goal just fifteen minutes later to take the lead. For the second game in a row though we were unable to hold on as we conceded in stoppage time to deny us all three points. We managed to come away from both Valencia and Barcelona with solid points despite being second best in both games, managing to keep clean sheets in both games. The month rounded off with victory though with Alfonso Ibarra grabbing both goals, and his first goals for the club.

UEFA Champions League Group Stage

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps4d729072.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zps426cce3e.png

Our first ever game at this level ended in a very narrow defeat, and a game where we probably deserved to lose by more. I'm pleased with how we battled through the game, but Juventus are a different class to us so I am not surprised with defeat.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - October 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps3a04b04c.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps12b03cdf.png

After a month which an overload of draws we managed to take four wins from four in October to see us rise up the league and remain unbeaten after eleven games.

We put in a brilliant display against Atletico Madrid to give us all three points. A first half goal gave us the lead and we were in control for a long time after that but needed that second goal to kill them off. Unfortunately we couldn't find that goal and Atletico levelled things midway through the second half. That didn't dampen our spirits though as we continued to push forward and a bit of fortune through an own-goal gave us a 2-1 lead. In stoppage time they made a mistake at the back which allowed Antonio Luis in to give us a 3-1 win. We were very comfortable against Las Palmas, never in trouble at all as we breezed to a 3-1 win. Comfortably 2-0 up against Villarreal we were cruising but a sending off allowed them back into the game and we were left hanging on at times until we scored a third to seal the game. We were also breezing against Celta Vigo and despite being 3-0 up we conceded two goals in quick succession to multiply the nerves. We added a fourth but they scored again not long after and we had to hang on for a 4-3 win.

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpscaea5d10.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zps39b41cd5.png

Two very good wins to get us up and running in Europe this season.

An early goal gave us the lead against Anderlecht and we dominated throughout but we just failed to add that second goal which led for a nervy finish, although we hung on. We were brilliant in the first half against CSKA Moscow and found ourselves two goals up at the break. CSKA pulled a goal back in the second half and the final few minutes were tense, but a solid defensive display allowed for us to grab a very good 2-1 win.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-2_zpsbc4e7ddd.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox_zps77ad9844.png

So.........

Neither side have qualified for Euro 2020 so I won't have any fixtures until the start of the 2022 World Cup Qualifying campaign.

Romania (ranked 32nd) and Slovakia (ranked 63rd) both have tough qualifying groups, but it is a case of which, if any should I take?!?!

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - November 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zpsd7ed7b9a.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps6d428974.png

Another very solid month as we remain unbeaten thus far in the season and also keep up pace with the top two.

In a repeat of the Copa del Rey Final from last season, we kicked November off with a fixture against Cordoba. The game was just as comfortable as that game as we eased to a 3-0 win. We faced a tough game against Granada in our next encounter. If I was offered a draw before the game I would have taken it and that is what we got. We fell behind midway through the second half but a miscommunication between goalkeeeper and defender allowed us to level the game for a hard earned point. A very good display followed that against Bilbao. A quick first half performance from ourselves saw us three goals in front by half-time. We didn't have much to do in the second half with the result all but secured, but managed to add a fourth late on. Despite falling behind early on away to bottom side Hercules we managed to find ourselves 2-1 in front by half-time thanks to two Osnar Noronha goals. We were a little nervy for parts in the second half but when we scored in the 60th minute that sealed the three points.

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps451c7059.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zpsd3ff6a24.png

Four vital points which with a game to spare have sealed our passage into the Knockout Rounds of the Champions League.

We were brilliant in Moscow and despite falling behind we didn't let that phase us at all and an own-goal drew us level. Just six minutes later we were in front thanks to a well-taken goal. The second half was tough. We were defending well while trying to hit them on the counter. We were a little nervy, but in injury time we added a third to seal a brilliant win. A quick start had us a goal up inside one minute against Juventus. We didn't push for that second goal though which turned to be our downfall in the game, but it didn't matter as a point saw us qualify from our group with one game left.

I'd take the Romania job, purely based on them giving you more dosh. Did you take one on?

I rejected both deals. With Euro 2020 around the corner I thought it would be best to wait and see what is available following the tournament (hopefully the Spain job).

I rejected both deals. With Euro 2020 around the corner I thought it would be best to wait and see what is available following the tournament (hopefully the Spain job).

Makes sense, hope something interesting comes up for you. Think you'd have a shot at the Spain job if it was available?

Makes sense, hope something interesting comes up for you. Think you'd have a shot at the Spain job if it was available?

Definitely. I was honestly hoping it would come available after qualifying because they struggled massively and looked like they could miss out. They managed to sneak in on the last day of qualifying so it isn't available now, but a poor campaign could see it come available.

Definitely. I was honestly hoping it would come available after qualifying because they struggled massively and looked like they could miss out. They managed to sneak in on the last day of qualifying so it isn't available now, but a poor campaign could see it come available.

Well let's hope for failure! Who's in charge at the mo?

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - December 2019

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps2e084542.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps093489e0.png

Another two wins to round out the year, and with results going our way elsewhere we are a little closer to the top two as we head into 2020.

Things were easy against Espanyol and we were never troubled against them. A goal inside ten minutes had us in front and we added a further two goals before half-time. It didn't take us long in the second half for us to add another as we eased into a 4-0 lead. A poor clearance from Yann Sommer allowed them to pull a goal back, but the result was never in doubt. We absolutely battered Malaga and really should have won by many goals, but when it seemed like we would only take a point from the game we were rewarded with a slice of luck in stoppage time to give us all three points. A through-ball which looked well offside wasn't flagged and the cross fell to the feet of Alfonso Ibarra who tapped home into an empty net to give us all three points.

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zps61693f84.png

UEFAChampionsLeague_OverviewStages_zps94d8e314.png

A superb performance and result to round off the group stage and ensured that we topped the group.

Things were a little tense, even after we took the lead after eighteen minutes, but once Xabi Alonso tucked home a penalty before the break it eased the pressure off us. Our third goal set off a chain of events inside fifteen minutes of three own-goals (two for us, one for them) during a crazy period before we added a fifth in stoppage time.

I am pretty pleased with the draw for the next round. Although it won't be easy, we will face German side Bayer Leverkusen for a place in the Quarter-Final. I was delighted to have avoided the English clubs in the form of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.

Copa del Rey 4th Round

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-3_zps48f25051.png

Very comfortable for us in truth.

We did all the hard work in the first half of the first leg as we were three goals up by half-time. Although they pulled one back things were never in doubt as we won the first leg 3-1. The second leg was just about doing the job needed and that is what we did in a comfortable 2-0 win.

We have been drawn against Atletico Madrid in the Fifth Round, with the first leg away from home.

Could be a lot worse than Leverkusen. Looking good tucked behind the top 2 as well.

It was one of the better draws we could have had. I think I would have only liked Benfica otherwise.

Wow' date=' stunning season so far.[/quote']

Cheers dude :thup:.

Been following this forum for a while after i found this thread around 2 months ago.

I've been considering writing my own career on this forum, would you mind if i used a similar team to the one you picked?

Thank you for the kind words :). Always means a lot.

Feel free to start as whoever you want. No problem with me :thup:.

Lets just say you're doing alright so far. :D

Cracking in the Champions League.

Haha yeah. It has been a brilliant effort thus far. We just need to keep it up now.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - January 2020

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule_zps4a5ccf1a.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zps456d0939.png

Another superb month and what a way to kick off the new year.

We made things a little tougher than I would have liked against Real Sociedad. After taking the lead we conceded almost immediately but managed to retake the lead in the 32nd minute to go in at the break a goal up. The second half was tense but I felt like we managed to seal the game when we added a third with sixteen minutes remaining, but that just wasn't to be. Not long after we conceded once again to give us a tough end to the season but we managed to hold on for the win. A superb result followed against Real Betis. An unbelievable first half which saw Ruben grab a hat-trick and as a team, five goals. We added a sixth goal in the second half as we romped home to a thumping win. That game was followed up with another three points as we did a professional job against tough opposition in the form of Sevilla. A good first half performance was enough to ensure that win with both goals coming inside the first thirty minutes. Against Sporting we were made to wait for the goals but they finally came in the form of a second half brace from Ruben in another solid win to give us a 100% month.

Copa del Rey 5th Round & Quarter-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsd9cd7a1c.png

Against two big sides we put in fantastic displays to go through and into our second Semi-Final in a row.

We lost the first leg of the Fifth Round against Atletico Madrid in a tight game but in the second leg we wiped that lead out as we thumped them 4-0. Two goals in as many minutes overturned that deficit and before the break we added a third. Just four minutes into the second half the tie was sealed when we added a fourth which saw us through to the next round. In the Quarter-Final first leg we fell behind in the Mestalla but fought back fantastically well. Three goals in just ten minutes had us 3-1 up at the break. In the second half we did a fantastic job of seeing the rest of the game through before adding a fourth late on. We weren't at our best in the second leg and fell behind just after the break. We tightened things up at the back against a side pushing on and in the final ten minutes picked them off on the counter to give us a 1-1 draw on the night.

That win allowed us to set up a Semi-Final tie against Sevilla with the winner facing either Barcelona or Real Madrid in the Final.

Transfers - In

With a brilliant season thus far behind us there wasn't much need for change. I brought in a couple of players whilst selling one, but nothing to set the world alight.

Igor Zozulya - £1m - A pretty solid player for his age, and with years ahead of him he could turn into a good player.

Claudio Rios - £400k - Nearing the end of his contract so he was a target for the end of the season anyway but I felt the need to bring him in now. A cracking young player to learn off those we already have.

Transfers - Out

Just the one sale, but he wanted this move in truth. Asking for more first team football and unable to guarantee it, I felt this was the best move and we got a good deal.

SRL88's Career - U.E. Sant Andreu - February 2020

Liga BBVA

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-4_zps185e62bd.png

LigaBBVA_OverviewStages_zpsc40727bc.png

Well we tasted defeat for the first time this season but still put in a very positive month.

We faced a tricky trip to Deportivo who made things difficult for us, but we managed battle our way to victory. We were the better side throughout but couldn't take some very good chances which we had in the first half. The breakthrough finally came in the 52nd minute through an unlikely source in left-back Felipe Jimenez and that eased a lot of nerves. We added a second late on to seal all three points. A fast start against Valencia had us a goal up in what was a tight half. Another quick goal came in the second half from the penalty spot which doubled our lead. With a little over twenty minutes remaining they pulled a goal back and then dominated the game until the final whistle, but we hung on for a good win. We pulled off a fantastic win, our first ever in the league against Barcelona next. Two brilliant first half goals had us two goals to the good at the break. Very much like the Valencia game though we conceded in the second half and were left hanging on at the end, but once again we did just that for another great win. The month did round off with defeat, but it was a very valiant effort. Two penalties defeated us in what was otherwise a very even game.

UEFA Champions League First Knockout Round 1st Leg

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-5_zpsc3068f40.png

A fantastic win in Germany to give us a massive advantage ahead of the second leg.

We put in a great performance and took the lead after just thirteen minutes. A goal four minutes before the break was a major boost as we went in at half-time 2-0 up. A third goal soon followed as we were in complete control before Leverkusen pulled a goal back, but it wasn't to worry us as we put ourselves firmly in charge of the tie.

Copa del Rey Semi-Final

UESantAndreu_FixturesSchedule-6_zpseb7a84c7.png

Two years in a row now as we reach the Final once again.

A much changed line-up for both legs did fantastically well. We picked up a very good first leg win with a single goal victory in Seville. It wasn't a vintage performance in the second leg and we were given a scare early on when they levelled the tie up but we managed to turn the game round to pick up a 3-1 win on the night.

In what is the biggest possible Final we could face, Barcelona stand in our way of the trophy.

Archived