FM13: Portsmouth FC - Still No Money, Still No Players!

Ty

Just had one of the best games yet. Away at Stamford Bridge in Prem, played 'defensive' and came away with all 3 points. This screenshot gives away one of my signings from the next update, but worth it;

fictures.png

When I got that penalty, I was scared as none of my takers was on the pitch :D

Not Chicharito is it? :p One of my favourite strikers in FM

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weirdly, I had bids accepted for both Hernandez's. £10.5m for Bayern's unhappy Javier or £22m for Palermo's Abel.

I went for Abel in the end as Javier after sitting in Bayern's reserves had lost speed and finishing! So opted for the Uruguayan.

--

I can't believe the run I am on currently! 12 games unbeaten in the league, wow. When I started a save with Arsenal, I was in the relegation zone by Christmas, with Portsmouth... I am in the top 5.

January 1st arrives.

I get a great piece of news;

redddy.png

Shows how well he has been performing!

Also, have an extra £400k a week wage budget and £20m to spend. Not sure I want to buy anyone with the squad performing this well.

how did he have an asking price of 5k?!

Not sure, I asked my mate for morale advice. If I should bid the asking price.

He said give them £10k, it is double what they want :D Has bagged himself 4 in 4 so far, very good signing and can play on the wing in my formation which is handy cover as well as an inside forward, double bonus!

Deadline day transfer of;

mvila.png

I have no need for him yet, so the transfer will go through at the end of the season. He is currently listed and unhappy, but is still getting 7.5+ every game so I wanted to snap him up before he joins a bigger team. I have captain Lorik Cana currently sitting in the whole, so I am happy for him to remain at Rennes until need be.

I'm going to be doing a Portsmouth career, doing a series on YouTube -

that's the first video where i'm shocked that i'm going to have to lose most of my team on free transfers.

I got a message saying I will be getting a Consortium takeover by past players of the club I think it said.. so for guys who've played at least a season, what should I expect ?

I got a consortium of local business people . They just pump in the money when i get to $2mill in the red , 2nd season my wage budget was 3 k lower ($46k down to $43 a week ) but i did get a tranfer budget of $60k. So basically they are just underwriting the club but still expect promtion to the championship this season.

ddkevm.png

Absolutely love this lad, tearing the Championship up at 17! His value has almost trippled in value since he's been at Pompey, just wish I had a sale clause in his loan deal

I tried to loan him first season in League One, but they wasn't having any of it even though he was interested :(

City got one for less than £3,000,000. Shop around Ty.

That is an ageing RB. I wanted someone like Walker... but Spurs wanted £43m. I wasn't paying that.

So just started as Pompey. Playing 4-2-3-1.

So far in:

Eric Addo - Free

Emle Mpenza -Free

Cristiano Zanetti - Free

David Suazo - Free

Fabio Grosso - Free

Fode Mansare - Free

Radek Cerny - Loan

Mikkel Anderson - Loan

Ryan Tunnicliffe - Loan

Gary Gardener - Loan

David Meyler - Loan

Out:

Jon Harley - Free

Gabor Gypes - Free

Izale Mcleaod - Free

Darel Russell - Free

Lubomir Michalik - Free

Lee Williamson - Free

Dan Butler - Loan

Elliot Wheeler - Loan

Just been through all of pre season and really not done that well didn't win a single game.... still looking to bring in piquonne from west ham and another defender.

Would Seb Corchia be interested Ty or has he already moved? Could be available for about £20M

I'll have a look in the summer. Sitting pretty in 4th at the moment in February.

Out of curiosity Ty, have you go the original save game from when he took over?

I may do actually, think I saved just before the takeover was complete.

Absolutely gutting this result was, after beating Man City away 3-2 (with 10 men, we played awesome) and Arsenal 1-0 in the FA Cup, we get this;

loseh.png

FIRST LOSS in 21 games, and what is even WORSE... their second goal was scored by a player who chose Spurs over me in January last month. We both bid £21m for the CB, but Guilherme Burdisso went to them so I signed Sokratis. That decision haunted me.

As I said, we're in 4th though 5 points clear of 5th. Hoping this doesn't start a string of horrible results. I played last night until I lose as I didn't want to ruin the streak :D

As I said, we're in 4th though 5 points clear of 5th. Hoping this doesn't start a string of horrible results. I played last night until I lose as I didn't want to ruin the streak :D

I called it. After that loss, we lost to Newcastle then drew to Wolves, then threw away a 3-1 lead against Spurs in FA Cup to force a replay. United and Newcastle are both now only 3 points behind me.

Better news though, Kyle Walker requested a transfer request due to Spurs playing 352 and not playing full backs and him getting no game time.

walkerp.png

£9.5m is brilliant, seen as Spurs were rejecting £25m bids in January. Definite bargain.

So going into the last 2 games of the season, I am just about 4th after losing to Arsenal 1-0. This is how the league looks;

leagueia.png

How tight can the race for 4th be exactly? I have been 5/4/3 points clear for a while, as soon as it comes down to crunch time... I lose points everywhere!

The remaining two games for each team:

Portsmouth - Burnley (H), Chelsea (H) - I have an FA Cup final in between.

Man Utd - Spurs (A), Newcastle (A)

Newcastle - Chelsea (H), Man United (H)

Spurs - Man Utd (A), Aston Villa (H)

Liverpool - Swansea (A), Stoke (A)

I think I have a chance at fourth. They all play each (except Liverpool) other, so there should be points dropped here and there. I need a result against Burnley to take pressure off the Chelsea game.

That is an ageing RB. I wanted someone like Walker... but Spurs wanted £43m. I wasn't paying that.

Aging or not, still world-class. Get Corchia or that Serbian kid .. can't remember his name, Vjjljkdhkkrglkjwnj (or some similar keyboard smash).

Aging or not, still world-class. Get Corchia or that Serbian kid .. can't remember his name, Vjjljkdhkkrglkjwnj (or some similar keyboard smash).

I forgot about the Serbian kid, dammit. I got Walker for £9.5m so I am happy with that.

Pato for 5k!? That save looks very appealing I must say..

Insane price, quality player... can't complain!

Had a few goes over the weekend to get a tycoon takeover but it's not happening. :(

Surely that takes the fun of it away :D? I love it cause it was so random to get a proper tycoon.

Portsmouth are now 14th in the world rich list, worth over £230m :)

No update yet ty? Hopefully that doesnt mean it was bad news for you in your race for 4th!

Wish I had the same headaches, barely managed to assemble a team most weeks and won 2 out of 11 or so matches. Somehow followed that with 3 back to back wins and now on January 1st 2013 Im sat 3 points off the playoffs, although for a while there I was looking over my shoulder at the bottom 3.

Just made about 15 offers for different players, partly down to sheer desperation. About to play bottom of the league Crawly in what will hopefully be my last game without a proper team. Got 5 under 18's in the team and Im playing a CM at CB. 3 or 4 of my average players are either injured or need resting and now im just relying on the really, really rubbish ones!

So just started as Pompey. Playing 4-2-3-1.

So far in:

Eric Addo - Free

Emle Mpenza -Free

Cristiano Zanetti - Free

David Suazo - Free

Fabio Grosso - Free

Fode Mansare - Free

Radek Cerny - Loan

Mikkel Anderson - Loan

Ryan Tunnicliffe - Loan

Gary Gardener - Loan

David Meyler - Loan

Out:

Jon Harley - Free

Gabor Gypes - Free

Izale Mcleaod - Free

Darel Russell - Free

Lubomir Michalik - Free

Lee Williamson - Free

Dan Butler - Loan

Elliot Wheeler - Loan

Just been through all of pre season and really not done that well didn't win a single game.... still looking to bring in piquonne from west ham and another defender.

It is probably because you have brought in a whole new team and released most of the old one.

I have just started the 2nd season. Signed a few frees and some more players on loan.

Started the season in banging form, 2 wins and 1 draw in the league and got to the 3rd of league cup when I beat Swansea last night. 2-1 down, 1 min left and I managed to score an equaliser taking the game into extra time whereby I scored 3 in ET. 5-2 win over swansea!!!

No update yet ty? Hopefully that doesnt mean it was bad news for you in your race for 4th!

Oh I haven't got round to it yet. I had a lot of training yesterday, ended up falling asleep at 10 and waking up not long after 3ish. A lot of sleep :D

Should do one later tonight.

Portsmouth Update 2014/15

----------------

League

Outstanding after how the season started, the only grumble I could have was the amount draws we gave away or got in general. For the first season in the Premiership, I can't complain at the lads too much. We had 14 draws which is the same amount as 11th place Everton. The 21 game unbeaten run definitely helped the season, I refused to turn off FM until we was beaten, which lead to me pulling an all night FM session.

Some big games of the season was that Chelsea result from the first page, beating them 3-2 away from home was a massive result half way through our run, but also;

Man City 2-3 Portsmouth - This was with 10 men for most of the game as well. Goals from Cahill, Eardley and Hernandez saw us get a result from the league leaders.

Portsmouth 3-1 Chelsea - Over the season, we took maximum points from Chelsea. This time around, goals were from Pato, Hernandez and Beister. We needed a big result on the last game of the season to get the 4th place, and this was against Chelsea. They took the lead early on but the comeback and possible Champions League football (if we get through qualification of course) was complete in the second half.

leaguetablea.png

Transfers

In

We needed quality and we needed big transfers (to please the chairmen), with a healthy budget and wage budget, it was made possible. Our squad was already of a high standard coming out of the championship, we just needed to improve on key areas to be able to even compete this year.

All names link to screenshot.

René Adler - GK - £12.5m - Steer was good option for Championship, but coming into the Prem, he wasn't going to be strong enough to win or save us points. After HSV got relegated, they had numerous players that was interested and looked like they could do the business, Adler was one of these. Had a strong season and in a couple games he got man of the match for his heroics.

Maximilian Beister - AMR - £8.5m - My transfer of 41221 with wingers to inside forwards was going to be this season. Switching Redmond to AML, which meant I was in need of a top class left footed AMR who could finish. The double swoop of HSV was completed with the signings of Beister. Quality finisher, great dribbler and pace to burn. He is like the opposite wing version of Redmond. Relatively young at 23 when he signed, could be a major player for us in the coming seasons. Ended the season with 12 goals, 12 assists, 6 man of the matches in 36 appearances.

Abel Hernandez - ST - £22m - The big transfer of the window, and what a player to join our club. The board were extremely happy with this transfer, and so was I. Probably wasn't as prolific as I would of wanted him to be, but he definitely had a major impact in important games. 13 goals for the season is definitely something that needs to be improved on, but with Redmond bagging 14 goals and Beister with 12. I am glad the goals are separated evenly among the front three and not relying on the striker.

Gary Cahill - CB - £4.7m - The England international was unhappy at the amount of games at Chelsea, and to my surprise was interested in coming to the newly promoted Portsmouth. Everyone knows the quality he has, so I wont go on about it. Had a solid season, finishing with a 7.15 rating.

James Tomkins - CB - £7.5m - Was unhappy at West Ham so brought him to Portsmouth also. Absolutely amazing signings, probably my defender of the season in the end. 7.34 average rating, and scored a couple great goals from corners (one big one in the cup as well). Relatively young so wont be leaving Fratton Park any time soon.

Joleon Lescott - CB - Free - He wasn't interested in signing whilst we was still in the Championship, but when it was official we was promoted to Prem, he was interested. Wanted big wages but I wanted quality at the back for the new season, with James and Gary already signed, I knew he would fit right in without communication problems. He commanded the back line before he slipped a disc after Christmas which struggled to see him come back into the side, still a quality player but was allowed to leave at the end of the season, as his contract was only one year.

Denilson - CM - Free - The last of the summer signings, the former Arsenal man has struggled in recent seasons to get into the Arsenal team, and saw his contract run out. We handed him a career renewing start at Portsmouth and he didn't disappoint in the box to box role.

Pato - ST - £10k - Unsure of the price but he was unsettled, not getting games at AC Milan and transfer listed by request. We all know the quality Pato possesses, and at the price... I was going to overlook his injury prone career. High wages but that is what you expect when you signed such a big player. Didn't let us down either after joining in January. 7 goals and 2 assists in 14 games.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos - CB - £14.25m - The last of the winter signings and signings altogether, Lescott getting injured for the rest of the season saw us looking short at the back. Knowing Joleon's contract was up at the end of the season, I took the plunge and signed Sokratis. The pacey Greek CB won the fans over in the very little 10 games in which he played. Dominating the attackers and making crucial challenges. A massive fee, but also a massive player.

Out

When quality comes in, it means the weaker players are going to have to leave. It was a sad moment when Solvi Ottessen left the club, former captain and leader of the back. He was ageing and with the arrival of the 3 English CB's, I thought it was time he moved on. Celso Borges barely made it into the team while we was in the Championship, so coming into the Prem he had no chance, so was glad to move him on. The only other massive transfer was in January, when we confirmed the Pato signings (and only playing one upfront), this left us with 4 strikers. Austin had failed to break into the team or find form, so with Cardiff already sniffing around him, he was able to leave for just over £6m upfront.

transfersoutm.png

Fa Cup - Capital One Cup

Winners of the FA Cup, brings back memories of 2008. Was a great campaign for us. The best result was the return leg at White Hart Lane, after throwing away a 3-1 lead at home. Although, knocking out Arsenal is always fun. The final was relatively easy, even new boy Sokratis got on the scoresheet for that game.

facupm.png

Unfortunately, the Capital One cup didn't go so well or to plan. Knocked out in the 4th round to Wolves.

Portsmouth 4-0 AFC Wimbledon

Aston Villa 0-2 Portsmouth

Wolves 2-1 Portsmouth

Player of the Season

Nathan Redmond

redmond.png

Has drastically improved in the couple seasons I have had him now, and he is turning into a beast of a player. His performances are too good for England to not notice, so he has himself 8 apps and 2 goals. He is rated 3 stars as his current ability and 4.5 potential ability, so the fact he has so much more room to improve excites me.

Appearances: 38

Goals: 14

Assists: 13

Average Rating: 7.31

youngplayer.png

Hopefully next season he can really up his game and travel to the Euro's with England.

Next Season?

I haven't been to ambitious, so said Europa League qualification. The stadium is being expanded currenly by almost 6,000 seats, so we are ground sharing with Southampton. Yes, you read that right, Southampton. FUMING!

Hopefully I will try to retain this as well;

managerofyear.png

I will update again just before the season starts with the new transfers etc.

Quick update,

Was 6th with about 6/7 games to go but fell apart in the run in. The January transfer market wasnt as active as I had hoped and with injuries we were massively overperforming just to reach 11 place in the end. Would have taken that by January 1st when I was playing 6 under 18's every week but having come so close and losing to bottom placed teams its gutting.

Transfers In: Wiemann, Lichaj, Piquionne, Ben Davies, Wisdom, Cerny. (all loans)

Transfers out: Rodgers, McLeod, Colson, Harley (all released)

Struggling so far to be honest. Lost 2 and drew 2 in the league. Lost to Cardiff in the league Cup in ET and lost to Exeter in JPT on penalties. Oh sigh!!

Quick update,

Was 6th with about 6/7 games to go but fell apart in the run in. The January transfer market wasnt as active as I had hoped and with injuries we were massively overperforming just to reach 11 place in the end. Would have taken that by January 1st when I was playing 6 under 18's every week but having come so close and losing to bottom placed teams its gutting.

Aww, have you signed anyone else yet?

Transfers In: Wiemann, Lichaj, Piquionne, Ben Davies, Wisdom, Cerny. (all loans)

Transfers out: Rodgers, McLeod, Colson, Harley (all released)

Struggling so far to be honest. Lost 2 and drew 2 in the league. Lost to Cardiff in the league Cup in ET and lost to Exeter in JPT on penalties. Oh sigh!!

Some solid signings, especially Cerny. Give it time!

Minimum expectation - playoffs

Transfer Budget - £21, Wage Budget - £18,000pw.

I feel like I have been given the easy route now :p

Not yet, was tempted to do a bit of an all nighter on it but I knew I would end up panic buying a load of crap players in a sleep deprived state. At the moment the pre season has just started and I have 10 players, about half who shouldnt even be anywhere near the first team.

Ill update in the next day or two about transfer activity. Unless I find a 20+ goal a season striker for 21 quid, expect quite a lot of loans.

Oh and well played getting to the champions league. Im not bitter... honestly.

I sit opposite the biggest Pompey fan on the planet and have to listen to stories about them all day. It drives me mad and as such I had built up a bit of ill feeling towards them. However reading this thread (and in particular Ty's exploits) have made me want to start a save.

Good thread guys

Archived