FM13: Portsmouth FC - Still No Money, Still No Players!

Ty

Good to see this very active and people playing as Pompey.

I have took a massive break from FM (as I played my Pompey save religiously). Always reading in here though, keep it up. Anyone hit the Premiership yet?

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally played some games. Beat Plymouth 3-0 in the League Cup then proceeded to repeat my first save and ground out 3 dull draws. Webster scored an outrageous diving header OG in the first league game.

The fans are already on my back due to the 'unattractive' style of football we're playing - I've been employing a counter attacking 41221 while I get a feel for the best players. I think Mackie could be a great signing based on the first few games. He's not scored yet, but has been involved in all the goals we've scored from the AMR (IF) position. Hopefully too, once Sidibe and Piqiounne return from injury we'll be more dangerous going forward.

tycoon save for me too - made it out of league 1 at the second attempt after finishing 8th the first season

now in the Championship and am top of the league but its very tight up there

Manged to loan in Kyle Naughton, Frimpong, Michu, a regen from Man U who has 5 starts and Robbie Brady

I have Zaha up front who has scored over 20 goals at the halfway point of the season, also spent big on Mason Bennett and Will Hughes

let you know how it finishes this season and post a team screenie etc

8 games to go and all starting to go wrong until this result - 3-0 down at half time away to millwall, I bring on loanee striker from Man Utd, right winger and central midfielder, tell the team they are cunch of bunts and to do better second half and check the result lol

result_zpsbb2b248a.jpg[/img]

That's a cracking turnaround Brett. I like that first team too.

I've been plodding away at my own slow pace - I've reached the dreaded 16th October.

I persevered with the 41221 for a little longer after my last update, but a 4-1 thumping from Hartlepool started a poor run so I went back to basics and a simple 442 with a Balanced/Standard strategy. This seemed to do the trick and we got a couple of draws, then a 2-0 win and then the best score I've ever achieved in any version of CM or FM since the original game - we destroyed poor Yeovil 9-1! They actually took the lead, but then everything just clicked. Piqiuonne got four of the goals and a 9.9 rating and I'm regretting only getting him on a 6 month loan now. We're currently in 12th place, but only 3 points from the playoff zone. We also crashed out of the JPT, but that's fine by me as it cuts down on the number of games.

The squad itself is in constant flux due to the contract expiries. One slight downside of the tycoon takeover, but no first first transfer window is that players are demanding higher wages, the balance is there to support it, but the wage budget cannot be expanded. This has lead to the annoying situation of players leaving because I cannot match their wages or having to make some nasty compromises about wages after a certain number of games or minimum release clause.

The player movement is as follows:

In

Vito Mannone (3 month loan)

Matthew Bates (Free)

Habib Beye (Free)

Out

Michalik, Dumbaya, Williamson, Russell (Left after new contract failed to be agreed upon)

Rodgers, Eastwood (Released)

The squad is now:

GK: Andersen/Mannone

DL: Naylor/Webster

DC: Gyepes/Thompson

DC: Bates/Grant

DR: Beye/Ertl

ML: Lappin/Compton

MC: Cisse/Buszaky

MC: Howard/Colson

MR: Mackie/Waters

STR:Sidibe/Piqiouonne/Harris

I'm looking forward to January to start to actually bring in some permanent players who are actually good enough!

Ok i want to start a new save with pompey but before i do i want to know is the problem with unfair sacking fixed? I don't want to be mid table in league 1 second season and then sacked! To be fair i would hope to do as well as possible but if it is too difficult to get promoted first 2 seasons don't want to waste loads of hours on this save!

Cheers. Yeah a DLF(s) is exactly what I need (Though probably a CF or Treq at higher levels). Annoyingly he got injured just after he arrived.

I'm no longer Pompey, but a DLF (s) still works at a higher level, especially if there is an abundance of space between the midfield and defence.

I'm no longer Pompey, but a DLF (s) still works at a higher level, especially if there is an abundance of space between the midfield and defence.

I was playing some good football on my Liverpool save with either Suarez or Destro in a DLF(s) role, so I totally agree. I think the problem I've been having with Pompey is that the squad as it stands just isn't right to play 41221 or generally with a lone striker. My squad reinforcements will be made with a 41221 in mind as its my favorite formation.

@Football Manager: I wasn't aware there was an issue with sackings. I guess I've not progressed far enough to see it. Or I've been successful enough to keep my job!

I was playing some good football on my Liverpool save with either Suarez or Destro in a DLF(s) role, so I totally agree. I think the problem I've been having with Pompey is that the squad as it stands just isn't right to play 41221 or generally with a lone striker. My squad reinforcements will be made with a 41221 in mind as its my favorite formation.

Well, as Pompey I used Sidibe and he's well above that league. So, a DLF like him and a poacher works well and is able to break down teams. In all honesty, my formations are really simple. Usually, depending on the players, it's GK, WB (A), CD (D), CD (D), FB (D) - W (S), DLP (D), CM (a) OR AP (S), W (A) - DLP (S), P

I wanted a challenge and I decided to choose Portsmouth. It's a fun challenge. I had a tycoon take over. You'd think I'd be excited? Think again, I have the cheapest tycoon I've ever seen in the game. He refuses to upgrade any of the facilities or anything else. I managed to gain a promotion and he gave 1.2 million in transfer money for the Championship. What a cheapskate......

Harsh, Juventus! Was it a Tycoon lead Consortium which took over, or did you luck out with a stingy tycoon?

In my save the chairman threw £14million at me for the Jan transfer window. Ive adjusted it for a bigger wage budget, but that still leaves me with £10million; just insane at this level. Priority is an MC, RB, GK and striker, but I'd rather spend wisely rather than splurge for the sake of it.

I Just persuaded Ruben Yttergard Jensen to play in League One. :D A snip at £850k too. Kara is listed at £2.5million, but I think the bigger teams circling him will get his signature. Nathan Redmond is transfer listed at £5.5mlion, but that's crazy money to spend for League One, right?

Yeah in my first save I got £14m in League One, no real need for it :D

Nathan Redmond has been amazing on my save, still in my Pompey team with all the world beaters like Gotze, Hazard, Muniain etc. He is an England star player and won them the Euros single handedly (under my control) in 2016 (I think it was 2016 anyway :D).

For £5.5m, he will be one of your main players for a few seasons, worth it. Definitely.

Yeah in my first save I got £14m in League One, no real need for it :D

Nathan Redmond has been amazing on my save, still in my Pompey team with all the world beaters like Gotze, Hazard, Muniain etc. He is an England star player and won them the Euros single handedly (under my control) in 2016 (I think it was 2016 anyway :D).

For £5.5m, he will be one of your main players for a few seasons, worth it. Definitely.

Cheers Ty. I'll stump up the cash. Have you been playing him on the right, or trying as an IF on the left, cutting inside?

I know what you're probably thinking - this guy took the easy route and went with a pre-loaded Tycoon save, and to a degree you'd be right, however my normal style of playing is to hunt for bargains and try and develop youth - I normally get a cold-sweat if I have to pay more than £10 million pounds for a player even at a top club (I think my record is £25million for Defour in FM10 and that went badly, reinforcing my idea that cheap is best!)

I'm already feeling the pressure about bringing in 'famous' players. Weird, huh?

Harsh, Juventus! Was it a Tycoon lead Consortium which took over, or did you luck out with a stingy tycoon?

In my save the chairman threw £14million at me for the Jan transfer window. Ive adjusted it for a bigger wage budget, but that still leaves me with £10million; just insane at this level. Priority is an MC, RB, GK and striker, but I'd rather spend wisely rather than splurge for the sake of it.

I Just persuaded Ruben Yttergard Jensen to play in League One. :D A snip at £850k too. Kara is listed at £2.5million, but I think the bigger teams circling him will get his signature. Nathan Redmond is transfer listed at £5.5mlion, but that's crazy money to spend for League One, right?

I do have a stingy tycoon. I was curious to check out his starts. I downloaded FMRTE and I researched his name. He has 17 under resources and he only gave me 1.2 million for the Championship.

At least most of you people here got lucky.

Okay so first little update from me. Just finished the first window dealings, it was manic. I took it upon myself to release almost everyone thinking that it would be easy to get a squad together that could win league one. I was wrong. Didn't realise how difficult it would be to build a squad with only 30k wage budget.

Portsmouth_Transfers_History_2.png

image hosting sites

Really happy with some of those signings, I think most of them will cut it in the championship, and some at lower prem level(Portillo, Castan, Bruins and Alves). So now it's just a case of getting the team to gel. I've got off to a nice start actually. Playing a 4-3-3 formation with wingers.

Starting 11 is currently:

GK: Sidibe

RB: Lichaj

LB: Naylor

CB: Castan

CB: Cano

DM: N'Galula

CM: Portillo

CM: Bruins/Buzsaky

RW: Mansare

LW: Alves

ST: Hulse

The bad thing about my loan signings are that I was overly keen at the start of the window and got Johnstone, McManaman, Lichaj and Dalla Valle as my long term loans. At this time Tunnicliffe wouldn't sign for me and Hulse wasn't listed.

Still gutted about getting a local businessman.. and he loves the club.

My results so far have been..

Portsmouth 2-0 Southend (Capital One Cup)

Bury 0-4 Portsmouth

Portsmouth 2-0 Notts County

Crewe 1-2 Portsmouth

Everton 1-0 Portsmouth (Capital One Cup)

Portsmouth 1-0 Yeovil

I know it's early but I'm confident that this team can take me to the Championship at first attempt.

That is some impressive squad replacement! You look to have them gelling quickly too, given those results.

I've not heard of many of those names either. Clearly my scouts are letting me down!

Speaking of which, as much as I love the new Chairman and his cash, he is refusing to expand the clubs scouting range. Apparently we can't afford it.

Well, they WERE playing well. Almost at the end of January now and top by 5 points, but no longer playing that well. Out of FA and Carling Cups, in Jonstone Paint Trophy final.

I have one scout in particular who helped me find those players. His names scott, I went to school with him and he plays LLM games all the time so he sorted me out with quite a few gems.

Loan signings are taking over my team still, Currently have Shaun Maloney, Albert Crusat, Marc Albrighton, Jordan Spence and Gary Gardener all in on 3 month loan deals. Madness.

Albrighton - impressive. That sounds like a handy scout too. :D

It makes me chuckle that you've overtaken me already. Damn family means I get about 2 - 3 hours a week FM time. That's about 1 month a week. So, er.. I'm still in November.

Albrighton - impressive. That sounds like a handy scout too. :D

It makes me chuckle that you've overtaken me already. Damn family means I get about 2 - 3 hours a week FM time. That's about 1 month a week. So, er.. I'm still in November.

Yeah, was a bit dissappointed with Albrighton to be honest, he didn't do all that well for me. Just got a few more loans in for the final stretch. Albrighton and Crusat have gone back, and Jordan Spence, Craig Gardener and Chris Martin(who's been excellent) are soon to return to their respective clubs.

Still top with 6 games to go, but only 2 points clear now(getting nervy). Won the JPT south final, got Sheffield United at Wembley in the overall final to come.

By the way, I've just been laid off in work so no commitments means I'm absolutely smashing the hours in on football manager. Don't mean to rub it in.. ;)

Cheers Ty. I'll stump up the cash. Have you been playing him on the right, or trying as an IF on the left, cutting inside?

I know what you're probably thinking - this guy took the easy route and went with a pre-loaded Tycoon save, and to a degree you'd be right, however my normal style of playing is to hunt for bargains and try and develop youth - I normally get a cold-sweat if I have to pay more than £10 million pounds for a player even at a top club (I think my record is £25million for Defour in FM10 and that went badly, reinforcing my idea that cheap is best!)

I'm already feeling the pressure about bringing in 'famous' players. Weird, huh?

I played him LW for Portsmouth for a few years, one season (I think the update is in here) he got almost 15 goals and about the same assists. I then swapped his flanks and he performed amazing as a winger at RW. Assists galore and that is where I played him for England as well, and so does their current manager as well.

I paid £110m for Gotze :D money is nothing.

End of season update - 2012/13

League

Got there in the end. Was starting to think it might fall to pieces towards the end of the season though. Saying that, I was top after two games and stayed there for the whole season so can't really complain.

npower_League_1_Overview_Stages.jpg

Cups

FA Cup - Lost in 2nd round to Leyton Orient 1-0 away after drawing 1-1 at home. Shocking.

League Cup - Lost to Everton in the 2nd round 1-0 away.

JPT - Victory!

Sheff_Utd_v_Portsmouth_Pitch_Split.jpg

Tranfers

So i released everyone except buzsaky, webster and harris. Here's all the frees a got in.

Portsmouth_Transfers_History.jpg

I also brought in a lot of loans, all from premier league clubs, for no fees or wages. Can't fit them all into a screenshot on my laptop but they were.. Eric Lichaj(End of season), Rob Hulse, Marc Alrighton, Shaun Maloney, Bebe, Jimmy Kebe, Sam Johnstone(End of season), Jordan Spence, Lauri Dalla Valle(End of season), Callum McManaman(End of season), Ryan Tunnicliffe, Andre Wisdom, Gareth McCleary, George Francombe, Ben Davies, Chris Martin, Gary Gardener, Albert Crusat, Leon Barnett and Jerome Thomas.

Player performances

It was difficult to get a steady team together to be honest, so many players leaving and coming in. Didn't expect so many injuries too. There was one stand out performer though. Would recommend him to anyone starting as Pompey.

Luciano_Cast_n_Overview_Attributes.jpg

On to the championship..

Going to be quite a few coming and goings again. Need to try to sort the finances out, so will probably try to make some cash from player sales and bring in even more frees and loans. Just got my initial budgets for the season.. £0 money and 60k per weeks wage budget. Struggle on..

Congratulations mate! That is a harsh budget to work under in the Championship - I presume you're aiming for consolidation and survival!

I grabbed a small amount of playtime this morning and made a couple more purchases. Redmond agreed to sign after tense contract negotiations. Also joining are Ryan Gould, Bob Harris (from Blackpool) and, hopefully, Sergio Gomez from Barca B. I tried an audacious bid for a transfer listed Niklas Helenius, but he didn't fancy it. Kara picked St. Etienne over us for some reason!

With the tycoon save Ty put up, when do you actually get any money to spend? The board are being stingy as anything. I've got £30m in the bank, and a £0 transfer budget, and a wage budget of £33k. I'm already spending £34k on wages, and I've not actually spent anything extra myself. I've managed to get a few decent players in on loan, but struggling to get results. First 3 league games have all resulted in draws. Hopefully things'll pick up!

Congratulations mate! That is a harsh budget to work under in the Championship - I presume you're aiming for consolidation and survival!

That's what I planned on aiming for yes. However, I released a few of the older players to free wages, tried to sell some of the more valued players but none of them would leave, so ended up being stuck with about 10 players. Almost every freebie turned me down for other clubs, and every premier league side wanted a fee for the services of their loan listed players. So, with a heavy heart, I have decided to give up on that save. I don't mind a challenge, but I feel like I was destined for the sack with those circumstances. May have another pop as Pompey in the near future.

Oh and if you're thinking of starting as Pompey and you've just read this.. don't let me put you off, it just didn't work out for me!

Ah sorry to hear that. Good luck in your next save.

I have the polar opposite: I'd spent about £8.5 mil on players for January (mostly Nathan Redmond). January comes around and with new season expectations (top half finish) the chairman gives me another £14 million and a £135k p/w wage budget!

Nobody with a high reputation seems to want to join, I might try and make sure my HG quota is ok then wait til next year for a big name signing.

Ah sorry to hear that. Good luck in your next save.

I have the polar opposite: I'd spent about £8.5 mil on players for January (mostly Nathan Redmond). January comes around and with new season expectations (top half finish) the chairman gives me another £14 million and a £135k p/w wage budget!

Nobody with a high reputation seems to want to join, I might try and make sure my HG quota is ok then wait til next year for a big name signing.

Pick up the English youngsters now and play them while you are in lower divisions :) that way they develop while you rise through the leagues. Great for HG quota and you get to see them develop and become a star for your side!

Yeah thats the plan Ty. I'm hoping to get a core of English players aged 18 - 22ish that will develop during the next two years, hopefully with them established as first teamers once the Premiership has been attained. The squad can then be padded with a couple of marquee signings and wily old-timers. It'll also give me time to start bringing through some Pompey-trained HGs. Of course this is all a long way off as I'm so slow at playing (I think FM14 will have to be missed at this rate).

Of course having said the above, my first transfer window has so far gone a bit Scandinavian with the arrivals of Strandberg, Jonas Svensson, Yttergard Jensen & Soderlund. What can I say, the price (£2.5million in total for 4 players who shouldn't need replacing for several years) and reputation was a perfect fit for League One.

I'm really despising my cheap tycoon manager. I finished my third season losing in the Champion playoffs. Now, entering my fourth season with the team, he gave me a 0 transfer budget and 140k wage budget and I have to challenge for the title. I love my chairman....

Still plodding along.

Despite my original plans not to go transfer crazy, the team's position in the league has led me, presumptuously, to start looking ahead to next season. Rather than create a squad from scratch at the beginning of the season, I'll do half now. :)

Signings are:

Nathan Redmond (£5.5mil)

Jed Steer (£4mil)

David Fox (£1.1mil)

Alexander Soderlund (£975k)

Ruben Yttergard Jensen (£850k)

Jonas Svensson (£750k)

Ryan Gould (£400k)

Stefan Strandberg (£350k)

Bob Harris (75k)

Piquionne and Mannone's loan deals came to an end and Josh Thompson left on a free.

Hopefully now this new bunch of players can settle quickly and maintain the current position (1st, though rivals have games in hand) and promotion will mean less drastic team building during Pre-season.

Once the transfer embargo is lifted, you should be good to go straight away. You'll need to release a couple of players though to free up some transfer budget. Also loans from Premiership clubs are ideal as you won't have to pay a fee or any wages.

I have now discovered first hand in my save just how much of a beast Strandberg is. A monster in fact!

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question for anyone who has made it 3 or 4 seasons in to their Pompey save (Probably Ty mostly!)

How did Ashley Harris develop for you? Obviously I'm still in League 1 in my save, but he has been an absolute star for me. I've tried not to over use him and burn him out, but he has still become my second top scorer form the AML (IF) position and has the knack of scoring important goals and turning games around when needed.

Just started a new game as Portsmouth but started in the mid of January so half way through the season.

Portsmouth are bottom of the league, doing terrible, no money & can't sign anyone.

Great fun.

Any advice ?

I think I might 'trim' the budget by selling the 'big' earners and plan for next season as the board don't expect me to achieving anything this season...

I think I might 'trim' the budget by selling the 'big' earners and plan for next season as the board don't expect me to achieving anything this season...

I think that basically sums things up really! At the start there are several players earning £2k+ p/w and none really deserve it. Try to jettison them and bring in some cheaper players to bulk out the squad. Of the higher earners, for me only Williamson really justified a higher wage, but only barely.

Try and loan transfer-listed players from Premiership reserve teams and you invariably won't have to pay them any wages at all. There are also one or two decent freebies knocking around - For instance, I was able to sign ex-Middlesbrough defender (DRLC) Matthew Bates on a free and for a £1,500k wage - he's been injured for a year or so, was eager to get playing football again.

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question for anyone who has made it 3 or 4 seasons in to their Pompey save (Probably Ty mostly!)

How did Ashley Harris develop for you? Obviously I'm still in League 1 in my save, but he has been an absolute star for me. I've tried not to over use him and burn him out, but he has still become my second top scorer form the AML (IF) position and has the knack of scoring important goals and turning games around when needed.

Ashley Harris and Adam Webster will at best become great Championship players (lower Prem) level if you get lucky with their PA.

Webster is still at Portsmouth on mine (2021) on a non-contract basis :D Didn't even realise until this season... he hasn't had a contract here since 2015, god knows how he is living without money. When I got the money, they was no longer really needed past Championship level.

Ashley Harris and Adam Webster will at best become great Championship players (lower Prem) level if you get lucky with their PA.

Webster is still at Portsmouth on mine (2021) on a non-contract basis :D Didn't even realise until this season... he hasn't had a contract here since 2015, god knows how he is living without money. When I got the money, they was no longer really needed past Championship level.

That's as I'd suspected. A shame, but hopefully they can do me well for another year or so.

Lol about Webster. Had you noticed his Strength and Stamina dropping as he become more and more malnourished and destitute?:D

I have just stopped playing the previous save and started it from fresh (starting July)

I have just been tookover & he has give me 700k to spend on transfers however I have found because i'm in administration I can't sign anyone despite him giving me money to buy players.

So how long was you in administration for before you could buy players ?

In my first attempt it was only a matter of days. I would presume that now you have been taken over you should come out of Administration fairly quickly.

I finally completed the 2012/2013 season and gained automatic promotion after finishing second behind Colchester. We should have finished first really but a combination of me tinkering with the formation and getting a bit cocky in press conferences meant we had a bit of a rocky patch in late March.

My players of the season would be Mamady Sidibe, Ashley Harris plus Stefen Strandberg and Nathan Redmond from January onwards. I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work.

Going forward there are a lot of positions to bring in players. I've identified that we really need: 2 GKs, 1 DL, 2 DRs, 1 DMC, 1 MC, 1 AML, 1 AMR, 2 STRs. I've been able to get a couple of signings made already with the left over transfer budget from January: I've made Sidibe's loan permanent as he was a really workhorse and will be a good tutor. I've signed Nestor Calderon and Adam Matthews from Pachuca and Celtic respectively. I've also got Jari Litmanen coming in for a year as a tutor. Still lots of 'Arry style wheeler-dealing to go though.

Talking of Calderon, something happened with him that I've never seen in FM before. I agreed a fee with the club, but during contract negotiations, his agent was being a real numpty, so I broke off negotiations. The next day I had a News item saying Calderon was unhappy with his agent's conduct and he fired him! I was then able to get the player on a really good (for the club) deal. :D

Archived