FM13: Portsmouth FC - Still No Money, Still No Players!

Ty

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody really takes my fancy out of the interested players though. Need to hurry up and get promoted.

I asked the chairmen to upgrade all three of my youth facilities, level and training facilities and accepted all three :D they will be done over the summer.

Cheers batty, good luck... you'll need it :brock:

Portsmouth Update 2013/14

----------------

League

Well, we did it again (but only just!)... won the league! This was all down to the complete overhaul of the squad and change of tactics at the start of the season. More crucially though, towards the end of the season we had to play Wolves. It was a top of the table clash and it was in the end what separated us! We beat them 4-1 but if they had won, we would have finished in 2nd place. Went on a run from November until January time without losing until we played Huddersfield away and couldn't help but slump to a 1-0 defeat which was disappointing.

I was very pleased with the amount of goals we scored though, a very healthy goal difference and both the new strikers come good in their first season. A few memorable games of the season has to be;

Portsmouth 3-0 Southampton - The first South Coast derby of the season, and we came out on top. Eikrem scoring a beautiful hatrick, if I remember correctly, all 3 goals was from outside the box, one including a free kick.

Wolves 1-4 Portsmouth - The game which was make or break for us winning the league. If could beat Wolves and go 3 points clear of them (at the time we was joint) it would give us some breathing space. We not only did it, but did it in style. The game included a Belfoldil hatrick.

Southampton 0-1 Portsmouth - The game 5 games from the end of the season which guaranteed us promotion if we won. I can't think of a better team I'd want to beat to take us back into the Premiership. Shame it wasn't a home game, but to do it at St. Mary's rubs it in their face even more. We was level on points with Southampton at the top around 10 games in, they slowly sunk down the league which pleases me.

leagutable.png

Transfers

In

This is probably going to be the main part of this update, as going up to the Championship and getting a tycoon takeover meant we had a higher reputation now which meant we could try and lure in greater talent as at the end of the season the chairmen and board said;

highprofile.png

Which seen as they didn't take over until January is a little unfair, but over the summer we spent and we spent big.

All names link to screenshot.

Jed Steer - GK - £2.8m - Had a great end of the season with us last year, coming good when he was needed most. This was enough for us to want to sign him on a permanent basis. Easily good enough for Championship level and potential for Premiership level.

Magnus Wolff Eikrem - CAM - £1.4m - Easily the bargain of the season. The performance he put in all season was class, playing as a CM(Advanced Playmaker). Deadly at set pieces but with 19 passing and 19 creativity, he can make things happen in a game. Improved over the year and the former Man Utd man will be Prem quality.

Christopher Dibon - CB - £2.5m - Not a big well known signing but a quality one. The young Austrian has great physical presence with his pace but also has a well rounded attributes for someone in the Championship. Will be more of a rotational player in the Prem, but was solid all season in the Championship.

Fabian Delph - CM - £650k - Seemed like a cheap player to fill out my squad at the time, complained about lack of football but when you have Albaek and Eikrem, the Scandinavian wonders in your CM you find it hard to drop them. Wanted to be transfer requested but dropped it after a while, may get game in the Prem but will possibly look to offload after an average season in Championship.

Lorik Cana - CDM - £950k - Our captain and leader in the Championship. Came from Serie A giants Lazio to play for a recently promoted Championship side, a big name and one that hopefully pleased the chairmen. Didn't put a foot wrong all season and was solid throughout, will be keeping the armband for another year.

Nathan Redmond - AMR - £8m - A transfer that shows that we have money and we will use it. The potential filled winger had a great season, ending it with 8 goals and 10 assists overall. Still only 20 and loads of room for improvement, he will be one of Pompey's key players for years to come. With the change of tactics it meant that we had to bring in wingers after last years narrow formations.

Rudolph Austin - CDM - £4.2m - Came from the struggling Leeds side, after asking to be transfer listed. Not only can he play CDM, but does a great job at CM and CB. Had a solid season, picking up 5 goals in the process (one against his former side as well). Has the quality needed for the step up to the Prem as well.

Aidan White - LB - £4.4m - This completed the double swoop of Leeds, as he was also listed through request. Can play all down the left side comfortably but mainly a LB. He has pace and will work his ass off all game. Pleased to have brought him in as we struggled last season in the fullback department.

Nathaniel Clyne - RB - £7.5m - Probably one of my favourite signings of the season. Came from the recently relegated and hated Southampton side. Was one of the highest rated players all season and chipped in with goals and assists. 4 goals, 9 assists and 4 man of the matches capped off a brilliant season for the fullback. If he can do more of the same in the Prem, he will no doubt get the England call up he deserves.

Wayne Routledge - AMR - £1.3m - One of my least favourite signings of the season. He was kept out the side due to Redmond's quality all season, and like Delph, requested to be transfer listed. After nobody came sniffing for him he realised his mistake and asked to be taken off it. In his 16 appearances managed 2 goals and 1 assist. Not Prem quality, so will be looking to get rid of him.

Ishak Belfoldil - ST - £4.9m - An absolute steal for almost £5m. A young, strong, striker with great technique and heading and room for improvement. Attributes good enough for the Premiership, let alone the Championship so wasn't surprised when he bagged 18 goals for the season. Will have to try and keep bidders away over the summer but hopefully I can keep hold of him.

Charlie Austin - ST - £8.5m - Only days after completing Ishak's transfer, we completed Charlie's transfer. The English poacher who started the season as a substitute soon found himself on the starting line-up each week after coming off the bench to score goals. 22 goals later and he was being considered for the England World Cup squad in the summer. Will be a great asset to the club for years to come.

Jesse Lingard - AMC - £1m - Signed on a compensation deal from Man Utd, the naturally central attacking midfielder would provide cover for the wide men. He has an eye for goal but unfortunately didn't get enough game time with us over the season, so sent him out on loan to get some experience. Will be looking to do the same next season as well.

Neal Eardley - DR - Free - Blackpool tried and tried to get him to sign a new contract but in the end opted to join us. Great going forward but also defending makes him a threat. Only had Clyne for the DR place so signed him up to add a bit of competition for a place in the starting line-up.

Ryan Shotton - CB - Free - Signed Ryan for backup purposes, unfortunately Solvi and Christophe had a brilliant season which meant he didn't get much game time.

Scott Wootton - CB - Free - Same as Ryan, Scott was brought in the cover the back line if needed. Played less games than Shotton and didn't really get a chance. Both him and Ryan have been moved to the reserve squad this season, which I hope in a seasons time I will have enough players to join the reserve league as currently keep rejecting the offer.

Joroen Zoet/Matej Delac - GK - Loan - Both goalkeepers played a part in the season but not much due to Steer's form over the year. Both decent GK's but language problems meant that Jed was a much better choice in between the sticks.

Jaime - AML - £2.2m - One of the signings of the season also. Came from Udinese who foolishly listed him when I declared interest. He had recently won Player of the Tournament for the u21's EURO's. Claimed 5 goals and 11 assists in the season. Will be good enough for the step up with a little more potential left in him. We did have Nolito on loan for the AML spot, but when Jaime become available and signed, I cancelled the loan.

Simao - CDM - Free - This guy was brought to my attention thanks to his agent. Not sure how this guy was still lying about as a free agent in October. Has attributes easily good enough to provide cover for my CDM and look Premiership quality. Time will tell, but worse case scenario we can make money off him.

Out

With the quality brought in over the summer, nobody was really needed to be kept from the League One season. Buzsaky was the only player to bring in money for us, with Josh Thompson leaving on a free after only recently signing a new 2 year contract.

transferout.png

Fa Cup - Capital One Cup

Our Capital Cup run was a lot better than our FA Cup game. Unfortunately for us in the FA Cup 3rd Round draw we was put up against Norwich, who were doing quite well at the time in the Prem. We lost 1-0 but we put up a good fight!

The Carling Cup was a lot better though, reaching the semi-finals before losing out to Man United in the second leg after holding them to a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford. Very proud performance.

Portsmouth 2-0 Cheltenham

Portsmouth 3-0 Millwall

Cardiff 1-2 Portsmouth

Sheff Wed 1-2 Portsmouth (Won in extra time)

Portsmouth 0-0 Wolves (Won on penalties)

Man Utd 2-2 Portsmouth

Portsmouth 1-3 Man Utd

Team Performance

Top Scorers

- Charlie Austin - 22

- Ishak Belfoldil - 19

- Magnus Wolff Eikrem - 9

- Nathan Redmond - 8

- Mads Albaek - 8

Great return from the strikers, 41 goals between them is brilliant.

Top Performers

- Solvi Ottesen - 7.35

- Charlie Austin - 7.22

- Magnus Wolff Eikrem - 7.21

- Ishak Belfoldil - 7.19

- Mads Albaek - 7.18

- Nathaniel Clyne - 7.17

For the second season running, Solvi was our best player. Unbelievable all season! The games we lost were normally the games he wasn't playing.

Next Season?

We get our new facilities! After asking the chairmen for all three, he accepted. So hopefully next season the players coming through will be of a lot better quality.

trainingfac.png

youthfac1.png

youthfac2.png

Next season I just want to establish ourselves as a Premiership team and get around mid-table.

The chairman has given me almost £30m to spend and an almost £1m wage budget to bring in some big names for a big season in the Premiership.

Brilliant stuff Ty,back to back promotions! Thats some transfer fee youve racked up now though!

Wish I could say the same, since releasing players in October Ive picked up 1 point from 3 games. Plus I cant extend Sidibe (10 in 13), piquionne, Ignasi Miquel or Lingard's (all key players) loans because you can only do 3 month at this stage of the season and they cant go to the same club twice - massive kick in the nuts.

kby7tf.png

Well got taken over by a consortium led by this Uruguyan business man, only been given £45K for new transfers :( But I got Andi Weimann on loan from Villa so I'm quite happy, plus we've made an excellent start in the league!

Brilliant stuff Ty,back to back promotions! Thats some transfer fee youve racked up now though!

Wish I could say the same, since releasing players in October Ive picked up 1 point from 3 games. Plus I cant extend Sidibe (10 in 13), piquionne, Ignasi Miquel or Lingard's (all key players) loans because you can only do 3 month at this stage of the season and they cant go to the same club twice - massive kick in the nuts.

Cheers, yeah I have almost spent £100m with this new chairmen. I have gotten this with my latest confidence update (first update after the summer transfer window before Prem), who I have signed will be in next update;

highprofileyes.png

Ah that's unfortunate. They are all great players for a League One side. Go nuts in January with loans.

Local Supporters Trust eyeing a takeover - doubt it will change much but now on top of everything Im back under a transfer embargo.

7 players registered for my next game. Brilliant.

I had one of them before my tycoon, it fell through thankfully :D

Well got taken over by a consortium led by this Uruguyan business man, only been given £45K for new transfers :( But I got Andi Weimann on loan from Villa so I'm quite happy, plus we've made an excellent start in the league!

I had Weimann in the first season, really didn't do much. Was disappointed because looking at his attributes I thought he'd be better :(

Just had an absolutely fantastic 4-1 win away at Sheffield United, despite the ref apparently showing bias in favour of United. Weimann bagged a brace, Bruins and Garbutt got the others.

65bfnk.png

That will be the bias then. Cheers Attwell!

EDIT: Bugger, I had Gardner on a 3 month loan from Villa and hes torn his hammy against Sheffield United. Hes out for 3 months gonna have to terminate his loan! :(

End of September Update

Just thought I'd give a quick update before I go to sleep.

League 1

bdpfrq.png

2hi8huw.png

So so happy with the start we've made in the league and delighted with Weimann, couldn't ask for much more.

Captial One Cup

2ngqtfq.png

Delighted to have forced the Hammers all the way to penalties just a shame we couldn't nick it.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

b6asn5.png

Tad unhappy we lost to lower league side but it wasn't a trophy I was overly concerned with.

Overall I'm estatic with the way things are panning out, would love to bring Weimann in on a permanent basis probably won't happen though.

I started a new Pompey game (3rd time lucky I hope), finished the first season in 16th having kept most of the original squad and added a few frees and loans. Got a takeover from a local businessman who gave me a £750k budget, but unfortunately he didn't raise my £22k wages budget, so I ended up using it to boost wages for freebies. 2nd season after a poor start (and only £50k to spend and no increased wages), I've again relied on frees and loans and in November sit in 7th - even though we only just stayed up last season and no money nor wages was made available the board want a play-off place, but I must be doing ok as Ipswich Town who are 18th in The Championship just offered me a job - £3.5m transfer funds and £193k wage budget was tempting but getting them to the play-offs wasn't.

Started with portsmouth last night, after reading this gem of a thread. It is a huge challenge but I'm loving it. Squad is mostly based on 4-5 loan players and a few freebies. I'm now in November 2012, sitting 9th place. Results are all over the place - some big losses, some big wins, crazy draws etc.

Great challenge!

Good stuff Batty. Its hard to keep consistent, I had a great start as well but Ive been slipping down the able im about 10th now. Make sure you get them contracts sorted ASAP!

Cheers Calvin, could be the start of a slide here after a 3-0 tonking away at Notts County. As if that was bad enough Howard, Dumbuya and Williamson were being way too greedy with wages on their new conract offers and wouldn't budge on their salary requests. Dumbuya and Howard have now left the club while Williamson has decided to stay on a month to month rolling contract.

This is incredible, how are the finances?

Very good, every month I swear the chairmen pumps in another £20m to the balance.

I started a new Pompey game (3rd time lucky I hope), finished the first season in 16th having kept most of the original squad and added a few frees and loans. Got a takeover from a local businessman who gave me a £750k budget, but unfortunately he didn't raise my £22k wages budget, so I ended up using it to boost wages for freebies. 2nd season after a poor start (and only £50k to spend and no increased wages), I've again relied on frees and loans and in November sit in 7th - even though we only just stayed up last season and no money nor wages was made available the board want a play-off place, but I must be doing ok as Ipswich Town who are 18th in The Championship just offered me a job - £3.5m transfer funds and £193k wage budget was tempting but getting them to the play-offs wasn't.

Don't worry about buying people, rely on the free transfers and loans like you are doing. I went up due to the quality of loans I brought in.

Started with portsmouth last night, after reading this gem of a thread. It is a huge challenge but I'm loving it. Squad is mostly based on 4-5 loan players and a few freebies. I'm now in November 2012, sitting 9th place. Results are all over the place - some big losses, some big wins, crazy draws etc.

Great challenge!

Good to see you have joined us :)

Cheers Calvin, could be the start of a slide here after a 3-0 tonking away at Notts County. As if that was bad enough Howard, Dumbuya and Williamson were being way too greedy with wages on their new conract offers and wouldn't budge on their salary requests. Dumbuya and Howard have now left the club while Williamson has decided to stay on a month to month rolling contract.

Dumbuya is awful anyway batty, and Howard is easily replaced with a younger signing like Eisfeld.

Well, the 3 upgrades from the previous post complete in one month... but I have already asked for the youth level to be upgraded again, so have 4 things on the go currently. Will ask to expand when that is done next season.

Eisfeld and Lichaj brought in as loans - gem of players!!!

Already got Lichaj its just a pain in the arse losing my 2nd RB, Eisfeld is already at Brentford. Doesn't help that I can only have 2/3 players on the bench at the mo due to injuries and moronic suspensions.

Eisfeld and Lichaj brought in as loans - gem of players!!!

Lichaj is brilliant. I had the option to buy him for £45k at the end of the first season, chose not to, but if you're staying in League One, it might be helpful.

Lichaj is brilliant. I had the option to buy him for £45k at the end of the first season, chose not to, but if you're staying in League One, it might be helpful.

Just got Coleman on a 3 month loan from everton to rotate and if (god forbid) anything happens to Lichaj. Also got Mackie on a 3 month loan to rotate/cover weimann too.

Well it has just hit January the first of the first season , we're out of all the cups (an fa cup frun would have been nice), and lie 2nd in League 1 (5 points off 1st place Tranmere and 2 points clear of Swindon in 3rd).

Current Squad

GK: Mikkel Andersen (season long loan), O'Hara

RB: Lichaj (season long loan), Coleman (3 month loan)

CB: Gyepes, Webster, Michalik, Thompson, Ertl

LB: Stevens (3 month loan), Garbutt (season loan)

CM: Williamson, Walker, Wallace, Buzsaky

CAM: Bruins, Harris

ST: Weimann (season loan), Mackie (3 month loan)

January Targets

Mariga (loan) Couldn't afford 50% of wages

Muntari (loan) Couldn't afford 50% of wages

Neal Eardley (pre contract)

Owain fon Williams (pre contract)

Patrick Farkas (pre contract)

I would also love a transfer listed Taarabt who is interested but I can't afford and board won provide funds for :( Ty chuck us a few mil :p

Neal Eardley's attributes are so much better than how he performs :( Certainly isn't Prem quality either. Looking at getting rid of him in January and bringing in a regen RB to cover Clyne and possibly a world class LB. Aidan White isn't good enough for Prem unfortunately.

I could play Clyne at LB and get a RB, but I will see who is interested before making decisions.

--

You're doing well batty, keep it up :) 2nd is brilliant. Only a few more months to go and you get to the promised land which is Championship football!

Well, the 3 upgrades from the previous post complete in one month... but I have already asked for the youth level to be upgraded again, so have 4 things on the go currently. Will ask to expand when that is done next season.

I hope he splashes out once more on a nice, large 60,000 stadium, we can all dream.

Where abouts are you guys playing Buzsaky ? Im playing a flat 4-4-2 formation and play him a cm on support he does ok but doesn't get the assists or goals he should for me. In season two i have picked up some quality midfielders so now i play him as a striker on support as back up to Harris

I love harris as a complete forward on support , he is mynew favourite player in any FM save i've had so far. He is just so good to watch and his demeanor is awesomme , while everyone else is looking anxious or worried he allways has a positive body language and was the reason i finished 7th in my first season . Anyone still in L1 dont hesitate to play him all the time.

I survived of loans and frees first season , main loanees were Etheridge (gk) Tunnicliffe (mc) and Korey Smith (mc) all did well for me.

My takeover wasnt the best i didnt recieve any extra wage or transfer funds but everytime i get close to 2 milion in the red the new board throw in 1.5 mill to keep us afloat. Only 3 more year of loan repayments and till then i am looking forward to watching Harris and Webster develop more.

Season 2 with a wage budget of 43k (dollars) and 60k transfer they are demanding Promotion :/ 4 games in and 4 wins so far so good wish me luck :)

I hope he splashes out once more on a nice, large 60,000 stadium, we can all dream.

I will ask him after we start packing out our stadium each game!

I have now hit the stage where contracts are up for renewal and there were a few that I had to let go. Currently on the market for a few free CMs. Signed Zanetti so far but WOW, Buzsaky, top top player - shouldn't be playing in league one!

Zanetti looks amazing and the fact he will join a League One side is awesome :D

Where abouts are you guys playing Buzsaky ? Im playing a flat 4-4-2 formation and play him a cm on support he does ok but doesn't get the assists or goals he should for me. In season two i have picked up some quality midfielders so now i play him as a striker on support as back up to Harris

My takeover wasnt the best i didnt recieve any extra wage or transfer funds but everytime i get close to 2 milion in the red the new board throw in 1.5 mill to keep us afloat. Only 3 more year of loan repayments and till then i am looking forward to watching Harris and Webster develop more.

I played Buzsaky in the hole behind the striker. When Howard left on a free, he did wonders there rather than in CM.

Webster has really developed for me, here is a screenshot.

d163e2e81998ffb6eccd250cc09f81de.png?1353164206

Good luck with it all!

My 2nd season ended with success as we got to the JP final and finished 3rd in L1 and went up through the play-offs and I got offered the Middlesbrough job:D turned it down, then got my new seasons expectations - safe mid-table on £35k transfer funds and a £67k pw wage budget:( Unfortunately my squads looking a little thin now the loanees and a few others have left, and the loanees clubs now wanting a fee and wages which I can't afford, but on the plus side I did manage to sig McMananam from Wigan (who I'd had on loan for 2 seasons) and Petrucci from Man Utd (who was also a loan and did well) for £350k each using a 48 month bid and budget adjustment on the wages plus managed a few other decent frees so hopefully we'll do something.

Genuinely can't buy a win right now, getting so frustrated. Nearly beat City 1-0 if it wasn't for an 85th minute equaliser from Baines who shot from a stupid angle from range to beat my GK at his near post. Stupid goal.

My last 7 games;

8626179ea124d43e74b3a7ae81dcecc9.png?1353179614

End of2012/13 Season Update

Transfers

3008qqq.png

5yucdk.png

Delighted with most of my signings albeit only on loan. Weimann finished as our club's top scorer with 28 goals, Luigi Bruins lead our assist chart with 14 assists while Bruins also had the best average rating (7.20). Coleman, Lichaj, Mackie, Garbutt and Andersen also put in so so many top performances.

League 1

2aklpvn.png

Was looking pretty in January sat in 2nd only 2 points of Tranmere who were 1st and we blew automatic promotion. We were very jammy clinching the last playoff spot on goal difference. We even went 2-0 up against Coventry in the playoff final, and imploded yet again but luckily pinched it in extra time

We were very dismal in all the cups so I won't go into details, I'll just move on to next season.

Genuinely can't buy a win right now, getting so frustrated. Nearly beat City 1-0 if it wasn't for an 85th minute equaliser from Baines who shot from a stupid angle from range to beat my GK at his near post. Stupid goal.

My last 7 games;

8626179ea124d43e74b3a7ae81dcecc9.png?1353179614

After this, I went on to beat Swansea 4-0 and Wolves 2-0.

I was sitting in 13th place, those 2 wins have rocketed me into 6th place. I know I wont stay here long :D but it is nice at the moment.

After the string of terrible results, I switched from my deep 4231 to a 451 and my god has it worked.

Now 4 wins in a row, adding a 1-0 win over Norwich and a spanking of Stoke 4-1 away :D up to 5th. Dreading playing a big team, as it will knock the confidence and morale of team, and I'll be at square one again! :(

That is unfortunate batty :( don't give up.

--

Although in brighter news; UPGRADE COMPLETE!

training1.png

The facilities now look like this:

training2h.png

The youth set up category is going up to 1 as well, as next year that gets raised again as I asked half way through this upgrade.

Just had one of the best games yet. Away at Stamford Bridge in Prem, played 'defensive' and came away with all 3 points. This screenshot gives away one of my signings from the next update, but worth it;

fictures.png

When I got that penalty, I was scared as none of my takers was on the pitch :D

Archived