FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

As a side note has anyone been tempted or actually done this:

I was thinking about starting a new game but putting 1 or 2 past players back in EG when shearer signed for us.

Imagine starting a newcastle save with shearer being 24/25 years old ...

or a philipe albert etc etc

you could have a cracking side as a fun alternative save game

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a similar start to my toon save but managed to turn it around.

I played

gk - krul

rb - simpson

cb- taylor

cb - colo

lb - santon

DMC(anchor) - tiote

mc(center)- cabaye

mc(left) - gutierez/marveaux

mc(right) - anita/gosling

omc - ben arfa

fc - rotated between cisse, milevski, ameobi etc

I played very fluid, attacking, direct,

that turned it around for me and ended up finishing 2nd in the first season.

ocasionally I would remove 1 mc and add another striker to make a 4-1-2-1-2

Thanks Hypertoon. Don't want to get too excited just yet, but 2-0 up away to (admittedly) QPR at half time.

I do feel slightly foolish though, that some simple changes have such an effect...

Well I finished my first season yesterday, everything went quite well. Finished 5th in the league on 75 points and ended up with the best defense having conceded just 26 goals in the league. We were finalists in the League Cup, losing in the end 1-0 to Spurs. FA Cup wasn't that great, going out in the 5th round with a 0-2 defeat at Arsenal.

We did however bag a trophy at the very end in a very surprising run in the Europa League! We finished top in our group, which consisted of Lyon, Debrecen and Spartak Moscow. Then the first knockout round was a pretty straightforward tie against BATE Borisov, won that 5-1 on aggregate. Up next was our group runners up Lyon, and a 3-0 pasting at St. James' was enough to win that one 6-3 on aggregate. The quarters was where I thought we'd bow out, coming up against Inter. Nevertheless a sturdy away performance and a lucky 1-0 at home sent us through 1-0 on aggregate to face Tottenham in the semis. Having lost to them twice already this season I wasn't hopeful, and that seemed to the way it was going again when we went 1-0 down after 5 minutes at White Hart Lane. However we fought back to grab a 1-1 draw, and did just enough in the return leg to win 1-0 to set up a final against Athletic Bilbao. I was quite worried going into this as they were 2nd in La Liga and hadn't lost a game in the Europa League so far. Somehow my pessimism wasn't necessary, and we ran out 3-0 winners in the end :D

I've just made it through the summer window this morning, my incoming transfers were:

Gioacchino Matera* - £2.8m

Salvatore Bocchetti - Free

Alberto Paloschi - Free

Jack Butland - £4m

Blaise Matuidi - Loan (£110k p/m)

And out went:

James Tavernier - £875k

Gabriel Obertan - £2.8m

Ryan Taylor - £2.1m

James Perch - £5m

Haris Vuckic - Loan

Nile Ranger - Loan

Romain Amalfitano - Loan

Lubomir Satka - Loan

Edit:

Also here's some screenshots of the young players that featured quite a bit last season:

645a830ffe044bad0d03468e1945e461.png?1357825351

a9ed0225a560116f17c1dbc881077955.png?1357825183

e912f624cc5615daf0b92199dc4a58a7.png?1357825257

1b51be260550df91d6a13383a759feef.png?1357825290

233b655a65129aecf2b29258d31ad676.png?1357825321

Early 2014/15 Season Results

Sir Bobby Robson Trophy - Semi Final

Newcastle 1 [p] - 1 Celtic

Hoarau (43)

Sir Bobby Robson Trophy - Final

Newcastle 5 - 2 Barcelona

Kara (9), Carroll (14), Cisse (35), Ba (68), Honda (83)

Premier League

Arsenal 1 - 2 Newcastle

Douglas (25), Ba (75)

Premier League

Newcastle 4 - 1 Bolton

Cisse (45+1, 55), Tiote (72), Hoarau (77)

Premier League

Fulham 0 - 4 Newcastle

Ba (13), Cisse (74, 88), Hoarau (78)

Premier League

Newcastle 1 - 0 Man Utd

Carroll (66)

Champions League - Group B

Newcastle 2 - 2 Marseille

Hoarau (30, 42)

Premier League

Newcastle 2 - 2 Stoke

Kara (14), Douglas (25)

Capital One Cup - 3rd Rnd

Peterborough 1 - 3 Newcastle

Rodwell (19), Lukaku (25, 31)

Premier League

Wolves 2 - 2 Newcastle

Cisse (35), Coloccini (72)

Dortmund 1 - 1 Newcastle

Douglas sent off (1), Ba (60)

Premier League

Liverpool 2 - 0 Newcastle

N/A

These results leaves us 4th in the league, not happy with recent form, started season flying, not sure what is up at moment, but Burnley at home and S'hampton away next in league, with Porto inbetween in an annoyingly tricky CL group.

After starting a few saves, I've finally found the one I'm going to stick with. I've now made it to January of the first season, and loving it. We're flying high in the league, easily qualified through the group in the Europa League and in the Semi final of the Carling Cup. Currently on an amazing run too:

Carling Cup Quarter Final

Newcastle 4 - 0 Man City

Ba, Ba, Cisse, Cisse

Premier League

Newcastle 0 - 2 Liverpool

Suarez, Carragher

Europa League

Newcastle 2 - 3 PSV

Cisse, Taylor || Toivonen, Toivonen, Mertens

Premier League

Newcastle 1 - 1 Arsenal

Ba || Chamakh

Newcastle 1 - 1 QPR

Ben Arfa || Zamora

Newcastle 1 - 0 Wigan

Ben Arfa

Newcastle 3 - 1 Sunderland

Ba, Ba, Cisse || Sessegnon

Newcastle 3 - 1 West Brom

Cisse, Ba, Campbell || Long

Newcastle 2 - 1 Stoke

Gutierrez, Ben Arfa || Adam

Newcastle 3 - 2 Southampton

Cisse, Ba, Ba || Lambert, Ward-Prowse

FA Cup 3rd Round

Newcastle 3 - 0 Aston Villa

Ben Arfa, Campbell, Campbell

Statistics

Top Scorers:

Demba Ba - 14 goals in 25 games

Papiss Cisse - 13 goals in 24 games

Jonas Gutierrez - 6 goals in 29 games

Hatem Ben Arfa - 6 goals in 24 games

Adam Campbell - 4 goals in 5 starts

Assists

Demba Ba - 10

Hatem Ben Arfa - 8

Davide Santon - 5

Jonas Gutierrez - 4

Will Hughes - 4

Premier League position

Man City - Played 21 Points 59

Man United - Played 20 Points 42

Stoke - Played 21 Points 42

Tottenham - Played 19 Points 38

Newcastle - Played 18 Points 38

Arsenal - Played 21 Points 38

Everton - Played 20 Points 36

Demba Ba clearly the stand out player, but he's not been the only one to shine. I've been very impressed with Adam Campbell. His stats are constantly improving, and despite his young age, he is still capable of putting goals away at the highest level. The only thing that frustrates me about him, is the fact he constantly takes on long shots, and when you consider that his long shot attribute is 6, you can imagine how they all end up. I've also been equally impressed with my August Deadline Day signing Will Hughes from Derby. An injury to Yohan Cabaye meant he was given an early opportunity to perform, and boy did he. On debut, he got Man of the Match, running the midfield and gaining 2 assists. He's a very good all-round midfielder, always finding the right pass around the penalty area, working back and helping out in defence, just an impressive young player.

Really enjoying this save, but it's about to get a little more difficult I can tell. Ba and Cisse have gone off to the African Cup of Nations, Taylor, Collocini, Simpson and Santon are injured, which leaves me in a bit of strife, and struggling to fill a subs bench. At the start of the game I sold both Ameobi's, Xisco and Ranger, so, my striking options are limited to Adam Campbell at the minute. I did have Jeremy Menez on loan, but he wasn't happy at being second fiddle to Ben Arfa, so asked for his loan to be terminated late November, stupidly I accepted. So, in January, I'm looking for a cheap, reasonable striker that's suitable for a fairly short term deal. I've got Mattia Destro coming in at the end of the season on free, but need someone until then. Any ideas?

So how's everyone getting on with their Newcastle saves? Having a bit more luck than Pardew is irl at moment I hope! :eek:

Haven't been on my save or FM in general for a while and I think rather than continue my current save I'm going to start a new save once the January window closes where I'll holiday for 1st season and start off with 2013/14 campaign....unless I get too much of an itch to play FM before the end of Jan of course.

2014/15 Season Results (Oct-Nov)

Premier League

Newcastle 1 - 0 Burnley

Ba (78)

Newcastle 1 - 0 Porto

Ba (24)

Premier League

Southampton 1 - 3 Newcastle

Cisse (5), Lukaku (26, 90)

Capital One Cup - 4th Rnd

Newcastle 4 - 1 Watford

Kweuke (5), Ba (36), og. (46), Tiote (90+1)

Premier League

Newcastle 6 - 0 Sunderland

Ba (9, 45+3), Lukaku (23, 38), Kara (33), Cisse (72)

Porto 1 - 1 Newcastle

Cisse (37)

Premier League

Newcastle 2 - 0 Wigan

Ba (7), Cisse (22)

Premier League

Newcastle 3 - 0 Man City

Douglas sent off (40), Cisse (50, pen 59), Cabaye (72)

Premier League

Chelsea 3 - 0 Newcastle

N/A

Marseille 2 - 3 Newcastle

Cisse (7, 56, 85)

These results leaves us 2nd in the league and qualified from CL group with game to spare, well happy with improvements throughout period, some cracking results, minus Chelsea game where chasing game lead to two late goals.

Am now in takeover talks, a consortium looking to do a £148m deal, whilst looking to invest upwards of £126m into club, kinda hope I don't get rich guy giving too much money, like the challenge of wheeling and dealing, already got me a couple of bosman deals I'm lining up.

First season over, and success for Newcastle! After a struggle in January, where Ba and Cisse were away, and we got a series of injuries, we got back on form, and ended the season in 4th place, Champions League here we come! Was a really close end to the season too. Going in to game 37 I was on 68 points and Liverpool, Tottenham and Stoke were on 67. Fortunately, results went my way, and I went into the final game with a 2 point gap. Winning the final game against WBA meant CL football was secured, pretty nice end to the season!

Stats:

Goal Scorers

Papiss Cisse - 26 goals in 42 games

Demba Ba - 23 goals in 37 games

Hatem Ben Arfa - 12 goals in 49 games

Jonas - 11 goals in 52 games

Assists

Hatem Ben Arfa - 14

Demba Ba - 13

Jonas - 10

Santon - 9

Hughes - 7

Got an important summer transfer window coming up. I've got Mattia Destro and Olexander Rybka coming in on free, and am in the market for another right back, and potentially another striker!

Heavy training as a Poacher, give him a few first team opportunities. Doubt he'll be ready for first team football until the 3rd season at the earliest, but if trained properly, he's got the potential to be awesome.

I'm so annoyed. Did the whole of the Summer transfer window, made some awesome signings, getting Kurt Zouma, Theo Walcott, Lukas Podolski, Ronaldinho and James Ward-Prowse as well as my other 2 pre-agreed frees in, and only sold Papiss Cisse. Played the first game of the season, came back from 2-1 down at Eastlands, against league champions City, to win 3-2. Then, as I was leaving the match, my game crashed. I'd not saved until after the final game of the season, so I'm back in May. Tempted to just jack it in, and start a new save with a different team.

That's a sore one with the game crash Dan. Had problems on FM12 with some PC crashes destroying all 3 versions of my rolling save so I've been paranoid this time round in making sure I use the incremental save and not using any imported extra graphics or major edits.

On the editor front I'm not sure I can wait till after January and the next SI transfer patch so I'm thinking of editing the database to include future transfers for Debuchy & Remy to Newcastle, Ba to Chelsea and possibly a summer 2013 transfer for Colo back to Argentina. What do other forumites think would be a semi-realistic price for a Colo deal under those circumstances, £5million sound too high?

That's a sore one with the game crash Dan. Had problems on FM12 with some PC crashes destroying all 3 versions of my rolling save so I've been paranoid this time round in making sure I use the incremental save and not using any imported extra graphics or major edits.

A sore one indeed! I've avoided the temptation, and am back in business with Newcastle. At the start of August and I've made some decent transfers.

In:

Mattia Destro - Free

Olexandr Rybka - Free

Theo Walcott - Free

Marko Marin - £6m

Javier Hernandez - £13.75m

Out:

Papiss Cisse - £26m

Ashley Williams - £4.1m

Gabriel Obertan - £5.5m

Jonas Gutierrez - £6.25m

Been drawn Inter Milan in the Champions League Playoff, so not easy by any means, but hopefully we'll be able to get a good result.

Current First XI:

--------------------------Krul------------------------------

--Simpson-------Taylor-----Coloccini---------Santon----

-------------------------Tiote-----------------------------

------------------Cabaye------Jenssen--------------------

----Ben Arfa-----------------------------------Marin-------

----------------------Ba/Chicarito----------------------------

Hoping that before the end of the transfer window I'll be able to get another right back and a centre back. Would love to buy Zouma, but not looking like I'll be able to afford him.

Edit:

Managed to make 1 final signing in the transfer window. Jan Kirchoff came in for £6.75m, and had some mixed mixed results early season. To my relief, we beat City again, but even more convincingly this time, winning 2-0. We then lost 2 straight, losing 2-1 to Inter, but got an away goal. Then, got absolutely smashed by Liverpool 5-1, which, for an Everton fan is particularly difficult to stomach. But, fortunes improved, as we hammered Inter in the second leg 3-1, and as a result, qualified for the Champions League.

Been some interesting transfers this season too. Liverpool have really strengthened, bringing in Douglas Costa, Papiss Cisse, Benoit Assou Ekoto, Felipe Melo and Cristian Zapata. United have boosted the squad to take out City too, spending £75m on Neymar, Isco and Ecuele Manga. City haven't avoided spending either though, signing Hummels, Belhanda and Sahin. Real Madrid spent a fortune too, spending £95m including £39m on Toni Kroos, £28.5m on Dede and £22.5m on Kaboul. Should be an interesting season!

Kirchhoff for £6.75 million should be an absolute bargain, on my existing save he's finished the last 2 seasons with an average rating of over 7.9. Fantastically consistent player for me. He's the one signing I might try to bag again on the new save if possible.

Andreas Iniesta, who I got for free when he was 33 had a good final season before retiring for me. despite the 125k a week wages.. totally worth it. To have Iniesta at newcastle was class. I was just glad I gave him a good send off by winning the league, fa cup and champions league.

Loving my Newcastle game at the minute. Won the champions league although I got very lucky on penalties against Real Madrid. My current team is (4-4-2)

GK: Krul

RB: Ryan Taylor

CB: Fabricio Coloccini

CB: Steven Taylor/Tom Lees

LB: Davide Santon

RM: Hatem Ben Arfa/Douglas Costa

CM: Yahan Cabaye

CM: Cheik Tiote/Tiago Gomes/Jemaine Jenas

LM: Antoine Griezmann/Florent Malouda

CF: Jermaine Defoe (£4.1m, bargain), Demba Ba

AF: Papiss Cisse

Just sold Danny Simpson for £8m and Anderson for £10.25m. Lookin at Schneirdelin and Smalling for a combined total of £15.5m

Kirchhoff for £6.75 million should be an absolute bargain, on my existing save he's finished the last 2 seasons with an average rating of over 7.9. Fantastically consistent player for me. He's the one signing I might try to bag again on the new save if possible.

Thought so. Showed interest in him in January of the first season, but couldn't get a deal done. Looked again in summer, and he was transfer listed by request. Snapped him up at that price.

He is a great player, would have been a decent signing for Newcastle IRL but will go Bayern in the summer. So this should be the last update we can sign him on.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germany/2013/01/11/3664240/kirchhoff-i-want-to-win-trophies-with-bayern-munich

2014/15 Season Results (Dec-Jan)

Capital One Cup - QF

Newcastle 1 - 2 Chelsea

Rodwell (65)

Premier League

Newcastle 4 - 0 Reading

Ba (25, 45), Cisse (44, 71)

Newcastle 2 - 1 Dortmund

Sh.Ameobi (71), Cisse (85)

Premier League

Q.P.R. 0 - 0 Newcastle

N/A

Premier League

West Brom 1 - 2 Newcastle

Debuchy (20), Carroll (39)

Premier League

Norwich 1 - 0 Newcastle

N/A

Premier League

Newcastle 4 - 0 Arsenal

Lukaku (2, 19), Cisse (79, 81)

Premier League

Newcastle 3 - 1 Swansea

Lukaku (34), Cisse (35), Ba (85)

F.A. Cup - 3rd Rnd

Bolton 3 - 2 Newcastle

Carroll (15), Lukaku (18)

Premier League

Bolton 2 - 5 Newcastle

Carroll (7, 56, 77), Lukaku (26), Hoarau (28)

Premier League

Man Utd 2 - 0 Newcastle

N/A

Premier League

Newcastle 2 - 0 Fulham

Lukaku (49), Carroll (68)

Premier League

Newcastle 6 - 3 Wolves

Hoarau (11), Lukaku (36, pen 39, 66, 83), Carroll (63)

Premier League

Newcastle 4 - 3 Liverpool

Rodwell (10), Honda (57), Willems (84), Cabaye (85)

Remain 2nd in the league, but out of domestic cups and have Real Madrid in CL 1st KO rnd, happy with contributions of squad players though whilst had 7 first team squad members away on ACON duty. Couple of in's and out's during January, Jonas wasn't reducing his wage demands in contract talks so he was sadly sold to Spurs for £5m, Kweuke has gone on loan with view to perminent deal at Twente (lack of form over whole season), plus both Shola Ameobi and Lampard were released after not being able to be moved on, just couldn't give them enough playing time. On the incoming front, to replace Jonas I brought in Adam Matthews from Fulham for £3.5m potentially rising to £7.25m and to replace Kweuke in squad I signed Eto'o on loan for remainder of the season.

New beginnings

I already had a fairly successful Newcastle save on the go but, having achieved a fair amount of success early on and having been taken over by a very wealthy consortium, I was finding a little difficult not to give in to temptation and spend huge transfer fees and secure key players on massive contracts. So I've decided to start a new save that will hopefully be a little more challenging. As mentioned earlier in the thread I couldn't be ar$ed waiting for the end of the January window and SI's next transfer update, so I've done a little tinkering with the editor.

I've disabled the summer transfer window and added a January move for Debuchy, with Ba off to Chelsea. I'd intended to add a move for Lic Remy but, given how that looks like turning out, ditched that idea and the only other edited transfer I decided on was a summer for Colo back to Argentina (as far as real life goes, I hope he can be persuaded to stay. I just figured that would add a little more challenge to my save).

I holidayed the save up until June 2013 to see how Newcastle did, and what other moves they might make in the January window. The team ended up finishing a pretty respectable 7th in the league with a late run of good form, having spent a large chunk of the season in the bottom 5. (Man utd were champions, 6 points clear of Chelsea, while Sunderland (20th), Norwich (19th) and Southampton (18th) were all relegated). They were knocked out of League Cup at the semi final stage by Man Utd, lost to West brom in the 4th round of the FA Cup and were beaten on away goals by Lyon in the 1st Knockout round of the Europa Cup. A pretty respectable season overall.

The squad I've inherited includes pretty much all the key names from start of the game (minus Ba obviously) along with Debuchy, plus the additions during the January window of Vegard Forren from Molde for £4 million and Anderson from Man Utd for £4.4 million. The immediate challenge will be replacing the homeward bound Colo with a quality centre back and also I'd like to add another decent centre back so I can offload Mike Williamson, the other main challenge is likely to be holding on to Yohan Cabaye, transfer listed by his request before I joined after apparently falling out with the previous management.

My other main aim is to try and push Campbell (should be fairly easy), Vukic, Bigirimana and Streete to all become 1st team regulars in the next couple of seasons. Hopefully can also get something out of Abeid and Amalfitano as well, but both are currently out with long term injuries, so their development might be set back somewhat.

Transfer Targets

Really the only firm target I have in mind is trying to unsettle Jan Kirchhoff at Mainz and trying to buy him before the summer window closes. Other than that I'm tracking a few players who are approaching the end of their contracts in June with a view to snapping up a couple of freebies as I haven't been given my actual transfer budget yet. I'm going to try and tie Cabaye down with a new deal, but his wages are already pretty close to my self imposed upper limit of £60k a week.

DandyDon just restarted as Newcastle again myself. Decided I would listen to offers for Colo, Arsenal offered £10.5 million, also considering not renewing Ba's contract and just letting him meaning I can target a more all round forward to partner or compete with Cisse. Juve made a £9 million bid for HBA which I rejected and now HBA is unhappy so may have to sell if his morale doesn't improve.

I also plan on blooding a lot of the young players you mentioned, regarding Abeid what type of role do you see him in? The Cabaye role sitting deep in midfield or more of a HBA type player?

@DBurns

I'm hoping to have Abeid play more in the AMC role, but he's out for about 7 months at the moment due to injury.

I've managed to grab Kirchhoff before the end of July as Mainz barely avoided relegation and he asked for a move, I've also got in Marc Bartra from Barcelona on loan to add a couple of quality, young centre backs. Looks like I'll have real problem hanging on to Cabaye as he seems to have carried over his strop with Pardew to this season, he's reacted badly to every team talk in the friendlies so far and is looking uninterested in general. Turned down 25 mill bids from PSG and Man City, but might reconsider if they come back in for him.

DandyDon I was planning on using him more as backup to Cabaye but time will tell whether I can successfully redistribute his attributes.

Kirchoff is a great signing, how much did you get him for? Cabaye would be a big loss for you but you rebuild half a team with £25m+. Just brought in Raul Albiol on loan for the season, will bring in one more CB and most likely promote Streete.

Got Kirchhoff for £7.5 million initially, but will rise to £9.5 million depending on appearances and international caps. Might have gotten him for slightly less if Borussia Dortmund hadn't put in a bid as well.

I'd prefer to hold on to Yohan personally, and I have told him that I'm going to try to bring in players that match his ambition....but we only had an £11 million transfer budget and we're being asked for crazy fees for some of my possible targets. (Relegated Southampton trying to demand £17 million for Nathaniel Clyne for instance)

Still a good price for a quality defender.

Looks like you'll have to sell before you can buy players to match his ambition then.

That's my concern, hopefully if we get off to a good start in the league and put together a good run of results it might help, without me having to break the bank. Fingers crossed.

Looking more likely I might need to cash in on Cabaye before the end of the summer 2013 transfer window now. I made him Vice Captain during the summer and bigged him up in the media before things kicked off, praised his performance in our opening league game against Fulham where he scored one and made one.

However he's still looking disinterested in team talks, has moaned that he's finding it hard to motivate himself with Steven Taylor as team captain and still wants a move to a bigger club. (His morale is superb though apparently and his form has been good regardless). We did down a bid of £25 million for him earlier but now Andrea Poli and Radja Nainggolan have been listed by their clubs and would cost a combined fee of about £24 million....so it's tempting to cash in.

I finally decided to return to FM 13 after going back to FM12 for a while and decided a Newcastle career was the way forward. I want to try and build a legendary team rather than keep swapping around. I won't be signing/selling in the first window so January is the first time transfers will occur.

My team at the moment is

GK Krul

LB Santon

CB Taylor

CB Colo

RB Simpson

CM Cabaye

CM Tiote

RM Ben Arfa

LM Gutierrez

ST Cisse

ST Ba

Any recommendations for players in January? I think RB, CB, and LM could be improved. Any good youngsters available too? Thanks in advance for any help

Edit:

Ba was just sold to Madrid in August due to the release clause. So until January I have to play either Ameobi or Vuckic up top. This could be interesting.

Back onto Football Manager after a little break. Loaded up a fresh Toon save. Haven't allowed first window transfers, so working with the default set-up until January.

Great to see the thread still going. Quite frustrated I couldn't get back into my old Newcastle save, had developed Campbell into probably the best striker in the game, and assembled a cracking side, but the game was terribly slow as I had added a couple of leagues in, so became so tedious.

Looking more likely I might need to cash in on Cabaye before the end of the summer 2013 transfer window now. I made him Vice Captain during the summer and bigged him up in the media before things kicked off, praised his performance in our opening league game against Fulham where he scored one and made one.

However he's still looking disinterested in team talks, has moaned that he's finding it hard to motivate himself with Steven Taylor as team captain and still wants a move to a bigger club. (His morale is superb though apparently and his form has been good regardless). We did down a bid of £25 million for him earlier but now Andrea Poli and Radja Nainggolan have been listed by their clubs and would cost a combined fee of about £24 million....so it's tempting to cash in.

As tough as it is to sell Cabaye, they would be great replacements for him! Personally, I'd do it!

Back onto Football Manager after a little break. Loaded up a fresh Toon save. Haven't allowed first window transfers, so working with the default set-up until January.

Great to see the thread still going. Quite frustrated I couldn't get back into my old Newcastle save, had developed Campbell into probably the best striker in the game, and assembled a cracking side, but the game was terribly slow as I had added a couple of leagues in, so became so tedious.

Welcome back Tommo, hopefully this save is as successful as the last!

Bit of a frustrating first season, particularly in terms of strikers. All was going well until Chelsea nabbed Demba Ba on transfer deadline day. Tiote and Marveaux were not happy, so I reassured them I'd bring in a replacement. Unfortunately I had nothing left in the transfer kitty. Gullaume Hoarau and Tulio de Melo on loan didn't count as replacing Ba, apparently. Indeed they didn't - neither of them had scored by January, so I sent them back to France - forgetting, of course, that Cisse was off to the Africa Cup. I managed to get Javier Hernandez on loan. He didn't do much better, unfortunately, scoring just 2 in 11 apps.

Finished 8th in the end, one place ahead of Sunderland, despite a rather embarrassing 5-1 defeat. Somehow managed to lose 0-2 on aggregate to Ajax in the Europa League 2nd knockout round.

Transfers in:

Jores Okore - Nordsjelland - 1.9m

Carlos Fierro - Chivas - 5m

Denys Garmash - Dynamo Kyiv - 13.25m

Simao - Shangdong - 650k

Jonathan - Inter - loan

Guillaume Hoarau - PSG - loan

Tulio de Melo - Lille - loan

Javier Hernandez - Man Utd - loan

Transfers out:

Xisco - Wolves - 3m (shocked how easy it was to offload him)

Ba - Chelsea - 7m

Obertan - West Brom - 2.5m

Tried a few line-ups this season. Started with 4-3-1-2 until all my strikers apart from Cisse turned out to be goal-shy, then switched to 4-3-3 until my wingers got tired of playing every game, then 4-1-2-1-2 until Hernandez also turned out to be goal-shy and Cabaye, my only deep-lying playmaker, tore his cruciate ligaments (8-9 months out :( ). Ended the season playing 4-4-1-1:

GK: Krul

DR: Jonathan/Simpson

DC: Saylor/Okore

DC: Colo (49 apps, average rating 7.31 - what a guy)

DL: Santon

MR: Guttierrez

MC: Garmash

MC: Tiote/Anita

ML: Marveaux

AMC: Ben Arfa

ST: Cisse

Squad really lacks depth. Need another striker, two new wingers, and cover at the back - I was fortunate this year not to pick up many injuries in defence. I've got Mattia Destro and Vladimir Weiss coming in on free transfers, which is a good start. Transfer budget is a rather stingy £4.4m though :(

First season over, and it went reasonably okay.

Ins:

Hummels 18m

Isco 17.5m

Sow 8m

Defoe 4.2m

Outs:

Ba 7m

Colo 15m

Guti 15m

Williamson 3m

Marvaeux 3m

Perch 3m

Team:

GK Krul

RB Simpson

CB Taylor

CB Hummels

LB Santon

CM Tiote

CM Cabaye

RM Ben Arfa

LM Isco

ST Cisse

ST Sow

Was fairly happy with that squad, I felt Hummels was a no brainer as was Isco. Barely any loss once the players they were replacing were shipped out

The cups were all disappointing, no great progression. The league was a very comfortable 6th but a long way from 4th. Improvement much needed. A weird season with no stand out performers, everyone playing adequately enough. Ben Arfa was a match winner a lot of the time but then had bad games, ended up top scorer (with just 13!) and top assister though.

Second season I was given a budget of just 5m a tough task with a few going out for free, however with the finances of the club a priority I decided to just blood youngsters instead of buying anyone at the time being, with Campbell and Streete being good enough for back up roles now.

Out

Xisco Free

Simpson Free

Harper Free

GK Krul

RB Anita

CB Taylor

CB Hummels

LB Santon

CM Tiote

CM Cabaye

RM Ben Arfa

LM Isco

ST Cisse

ST Sow

A small squad now, with lots of young players, however we have kept all of the big names which is a big plus.

Welcome back Tommo, planning to develop a similar three at the back formation like you did before? or going with something different this time round?
As tough as it is to sell Cabaye, they would be great replacements for him! Personally, I'd do it!

Welcome back Tommo, hopefully this save is as successful as the last!

Many thanks guys :thup:

For now, as I haven't made any additions to the squad, and won't be until January, I'm working off a 442. I've set up to keep the ball, and play on the break, but I do intent, when I can bring in the right personnel to play of a 433.

Ideally, looking at how I would like things to pan out, I'll target the French market, and sign some players that I hadn't previously looked at - but we'll see.

Would love to bring in Debuchy, but from what I remember last time, Lille were asking for the moon on a stick.

Twas going to keep posting updates throughout my 2014/15 season but got into that classic just one last game situation the other night and before I knew it I was playing away to Swansea on the last game of the season needing to equal Liverpool's result away to Spurs to win the league (they won 4 - 1), which we did, 3 - 2, go us. Finished season on 6 game win streak, ending up with a record of 28 wins, 3 draws and 7 defeats, anyway thought I'd post my seasonal best players;

GK <> Tim Krul <> Apps 41 - Gls 0 - Ast 1 - Rat 7.20

WBR <> Davide Santon <> Apps 41 - Gls 0 - Ast 11 - Rat 7.28

WBL <> Jetro Willems <> Apps 32 - Gls 1 - Ast 3 - Rat 7.03

DC <> Douglas <> Apps 38 - Gls 2 - Ast 1 - Rat 7.77

DC <> Fabricio Coloccini <> Apps 40 - Gls 1 - Ast 1 - Rat 7.61

DMC <> Kara <> Apps 32 - Gls 4 - Ast 2 - Rat 7.25

DMC <> Cheick Tiote <> Apps 26 - Gls 2 - Ast 2 - Rat 7.18

MC <> Yohan Cabaye <> Apps 41 - Gls 4 - Ast 15 - Rat 7.43

STC <> Papiss Cisse <> Apps 39 - Gls 37 - Ast 11 - Rat 7.79

STC <> Romelu Lukaku <> Apps 36 - Gls 28 - Ast 11 - Rat 7.64

STC <> Demba Ba <> Apps 30 - Gls 14 - Ast 12 - Rat 7.30

Loving my front three at moment, plus have two new striking arrivals on bosmans in Caicedo and Altidore for next season (Hoarau and Kweuke been moved on), reckon these five and Carroll should give me all the options I need.

A much better second season, also eventful. We got taken over! However only by a small businessman so no real fund boost.

We won the FA Cup beating Stoke on penalties. Won the Europa League final beating Chelsea. Finished 4th in the league. Should have been second but fixture congestion and injuries hit us hard. No chance with runaway winners Chelsea though.

The season transfers

Out:

Cisse 25m (I know this is a big no here, but he just was not performing for me, and with Hernandez available for 9m it was a no brainer

Ameobi 1.3m

Obertan 5m

Defoe 2.7m

R. Taylor 2.5m

Tiote 25m (Did not perform greatly, and Xhaka was cheaper and rated 5* by mr Carr)

S Taylor 8m

In

Hernandez 9m

Ginter 7m

Zouma 18m

Xhaka 20m

And 3 regens at 2.5m each

First XI

GK Krul

LB Santon

CB Zouma

CB Hummels

RB Anita

CM Xhaka

CM Cabaye

RM Ben Arfa

LM Isco

ST Hernandez

ST Sow

Some key performers:

Xhaka Played 20 Scored 2 Assists 8 Ave rating 7.5 (The bad news is he is struggling to settle into the area)

Sow Played 40 (4) Scored 27 Assists 15 Ave rating 7.57

Hernandez Played 28 Scored 20 Assists 7 Ave rating 7.57

Hummels Played 40 Ave rating 7.53

And youngsters performances:

Campbell Played 16 Scored 11 Assist 2 Ave Rating 7.26 (Was progressing really well until 2 serious injuries, hopefully progress again next year)

Bigi Played 37 (17) Scored 1 Assists Ave rating 7.15

Streete Played 37(13) Scored 2 Assists 1 Ave rating 7.34

Zouma Played 32 Ave rating 7.37

Nieto Played 12 Scored 9 Assists 5 Ave Rating 7.65 (A regen I signed for 2.5, only 18 5* potential and already has some good stats)

I sort of struggle to see where to improve now, every position is good and lots of nice newgens in the squad and youngsters. Going to look for some wingers and full back cover and then I should be set for year. The first team is young, with only Cabaye and Sow going to need replacing in a couple of years. I have also reached "Untouchable status" everything is good at the moment.

Coming up to my first league game in charge of Newcastle, so thought I'd update yous with my transfers and new squad:

Players In:

Wellington Nem - Fluminense - £3.5m

Giuseppe Bellusci - Catania - £3.3m

Leonard Kweuke - Sparta Prague - £3.2m

Luke Shaw - Southampton - £2.9m

Leon Goretzka - Bochum - £2.8m

Albin Ekdal - Cagliari - £2.8m

Ruben Yttergard Jenssen - Tromso - £2.4m

Nicklas Helenius - AaB - £2m

Jesper Juelsgard - FC Midtjylland - £1.3m

Jores Okore - FC Nordsjaelland - £1.3m

Grant Hanley - Blackburn - £1m + P/Ex

Adryan - Flamengo - £875k

Zakaria Bakkali - PSV - £575k

Kenny Tete - Ajax - £525k

Pol Balleste - Malaga - £425k

Raul Albiol - Real Madrid - £200k per month loan

Nem was brought in to add competition in the attacking midfield spots and replace HBA should he continue to moan. Bellusci got a glowing report from Carr and that is good enough for me, he looks a quality defender and only 22. Kweuke and Helenius were brought in to add depth up front and offer something to the Demba's. Shaw, Goretzka, Adryan, Bakkali, Tete and Balleste were brought in for the future and will be getting tutored this season in addition to reserve and U18 games. Ekdal and Jenssen will provide backup for Cabaye and Tiote in centre midfield. Juelsgard will be backup to Santon at LB while I try and develop Ferguson into a LB as I can't see having a future further forward. Okore and Hanley will ensure the heart of my defence is secure for the next decade along with Bellusci. Albiol was brought in as experienced cover after losing the experience of Coloccini.

Players Out:

Fabricio Coloccini - Arsenal - £10.5m

Sylvain Marveaux - Reading - £5m

Mike Williamson - Southampton - £5m

Ryan Taylor - Reading - £3.7m

Xisco - Wolves - £3.5m

Steve Harper - Ipswich - £250k

Shola Ameobi and Dan Gosling - Blackburn - P/Ex

Got rid of all the players I wanted to. Coloccini was sold to reflect real life events plus the fact is he earning £80 per week. Marveaux and Taylor I simply see no future for them now after signing new midfielders. Williamson I was delighted to get £5m for him. I dunno why Wolves offered £3.5m upfront for Xisco but I wasn't going to refuse it. Harper deserves first team football and unfortunately he wasn't going to get it here. Ameobi and Gosling were makeweights in the signing of Hanley, neither were going to get much action and Blackburn were interested in both.

Squad

GK: Krul, Alnwick

RB: Anita, Simpson, Perch

CB: Taylor, Bellusci, Okore

CB: Albiol, Hanley, Streete

LB: Santon, Juelsgard, Ferguson, Shaw

CM: Jonas, Bigirimana

CM: Tiote, Jenssen, Goretzka,

CM: Cabaye, Ekdal, Adryan, Abeid

AMC: Ben Arfa, Nem, Amalfitano

ST: Kweuke, Helenius, Vuckic

ST: Cisse, Ba, Campbell

Will be starting a Newcastle save in the near future, and will probably sell Ba and Coloccini in order to reflect real life, although bringing in Debuchy will probably prove to be too expensive to be worthwhile. Looking to play a deep 4-2-3-1, with Cabaye playing just behind Cisse as an Advanced Playmaker, although not sure how this will turn out.

Priority signings will be a Centre Back, a Full Back (which side depends upon whether I retrain Santon to play RB as I would prefer him to play on his natural footed side), a Holding midfielder to partner Tiote and a Left Winger.

Will also be looking at bringing in long term replacements for the spine of the side, and ones that are preferably English. This will probably mean looking into the lower divisions for a couple of gems. Will try to sign Will Hughes as a future Advanced Playmaker and Nathan Redmond for the right wing for the time being.

@DBurns

You've been busy there, but you've got some good prices, even if some of them don't quite work out you'll most likely be able to make a profit on them. Ekdal should be a good signing for you. I had him on my original save and he was becoming a more regular starter than Tiote, one of those reliable but not particularly flashy midfielders....wish I'd remembered about him on my current save :p

Luke Shaw for £2.9 million should be a good deal for you as well, I tried to buy him not long after taking over Newcastle on this save, but Southampton wanted 3 times that amount or more even though they'd been relegated.

@clonabanjo

Looking at your squad the one area I'd want to improve is bringing in a specialist right back. I always prefer to have someone who is a natural fullback in there.....that's just me being fussy mind :D

newcastle-united-logo.png

January 2013 [2012/13]

Krul

Perch ----Taylor--------Coloccini-----Santon

Obertan-----Tiote------Cabaye-----Gutierrez

Ben Arfa

Cisse

Not making affording myself the luxury to bring anybody in within the first transfer window, and starting the season with the default squad, I quickly realised how short of quality this squad is below the strongest XI. This is something I've known for quite some time as a Newcastle supporter in real life, sort of preempted this seasons woes after a failure to strengthen in the summer, but in the game, it's a stark reality.

As you'd expect in these circumstances, I've trailed the chasing pack for the fourth place in league for the majority of the campaign so far. Progressed top of my group in the Europa League, trumping Athletic Bilbao in the final round to finish top out of a group of Bilbao, Genk and BATE. Despite me finishing top it's seemingly no handed me any easier fixture in the 1st Knockout Round, being handed Inter Milan.

In the league I currently reside 7th; a couple of fixtures have proved costly, losing 3-1 home to Fulham after being forced to field tired set of players after playing mid-week. Man Ciy away was an otherwise good result, a 1-1 draw, but inevitably, the highlights come up in the 90+1st minute, they equalise to deny me all three points.

Started the season trying to play a 442, allowing me to play both Cisse and Ba, but as was found in real life, I found them far too much of the same player to combine in a front two. Finally set on the 4411 as you can see above, and that has allowed me to get the best from Ben Arfa; even Obertan has been effective.

Reaching the half way stage of the season I've been allowed to reassess my targets, and intern my budgets. Have therefore targeted a Champions League qualification, and Ashley and Llmbias have been rather generous for these ambitions, rewarding me a transfer budget of £24M to work off. My main targets with that will be to somehow bring Mathieu Debuchy from Lille to fill my void at right-back. Other than that, I'll try and target a winger to fit into where Obertan has been playing, and generally try and balance out any outgoings with a higher standard of player coming in to give me better squad.

A couple of seasons to update. 4th and 5th.

4th was very similar to the 3rd season, terrible in the league (finishing 9th) but good cup runs saved us. Managed to win the FA Cup and Champions League again.

5th season we performed much better in the league but threw it away to a good Spurs side who hammered us in the FA Cup Semi too. However a 3rd Champions League in a row softened to blow.

Completely new team nearly with only Krul, Anita, Streete, Santon Bigi and Campbell remaining from the originals. Have not bought anyone over 18 for 3 years now and finances look great, unfortunately the board with not improve any facilities though. First team looks like

GK Krul

LB Santon

CB Hummels

CB Zouma (Great player however serious discipline issues, 19 yellows and 3 reds last season)

RB Anita

CM Barreiro (Argie regen, 5* potential 3.5 current)

CM Will Hughes

LM Patrick (Brazilian regen, 5* potential, 3.5 current, absolutely beast)

ST Campbell (Now developed into a beast, 49 goals last season, 19 finishing too now)

ST Nieto (Spanish regen an absolute animal. Also scored 49 last season, him and Campbell are unstoppable)

Anita will start to get faded out for an Argie regen as will Hummels soon. Still no good LB replacement for Santon on the horizon.

Season Update 2013/14

I picked up the reins from Pardew in June 2013 with the club having enjoyed a moderately successful season just past. Securing a 7th place finish in the league, which turned out to be enough to qualify for the Europa League. I'd actually thought they'd missed out on Europe and was looking forward to a first season without the extra distraction to build my team. With the extra matches ahead I brought in a couple more player during the summer than I'd originally planned in order to give us some extra squad depth.

The board gave me an £11 million transfer budget to work with and I decided to stretch that a bit by first picking up a couple of freebie signings and moving on a couple of the players I didn't plan on using.

The Freebies

I raided Serie A for all three of the free transfers, offered Mattia Destro a way out of Genoa to provide a strike partner/alternative to Papiss Cisse, and also picked up a decent keeper in Emiliano Viviano to provide Krul some serious competition. The final freebie was Paolo De Ceglie, released by Juventus, to provide cover for Davide Santon but he's also capable of playing anywhere on the left wing if need be.

Loanees

Having missed out on other possible free signings such as Salvatore Bocchetti on this save I chose to dip a toe in the loan market to add some other options. Agreeing a season long deal with Barcelona for their promising centre back Marc Bartra (and after a slow start he's turned out to be a very, very good player for us). I did try a cheeky loan bid for Fernando Torres, but we could only afford 40% of his mammoth wages and Chelsea wanted more so in the end I arranged a deal for their German winger Marko Marin.

The Expendables

The first 2 out the door were Danny Simpson, who QPR bid a very welcome £5million for, and Xisco released on a free. After that Mike Williamson headed off to Wigan for £2.5 million, slightly less than he was valued at, but I was happy enough to accept it. Shola left on the final day of the transfer window, joining Birmingham for £500,000

Fundraisers

The other players sold during the window were not players I considered expendable, but in the first two cases I decided to accept the bids as they largely covered my transfer spending to that point. Liverpool came in with an early bid for Vurnon Anita of £7.75 million and I decided to accpet it as it pretty much paid for my move for Jan Kirchhoff (my main transfer target at the start of the window). Likewise I accepted a £6million bid from Spurs for Jonas which covered the bulk of the fees for 2 very talented youngsters my scouts found.

The Dreamboat Sails

When I arrived in the job Cabaye was already transfer listed by his own request as he wanted a move to a bigger club and his relationship with the management had broken down. Unfortunately his problems with management seemed to carry across to me as well. His response to team talks was overwhelmingly negative, my Asst. Manager reported Cabaye as also having problems motivating himself with Steven Taylor as captain. In the early part of the transfer window I turned down 2 bids for him from Man City and PSG that exceeded £20 million and once the season started was constantly trying to praise the player when I could and big him up in the media.

However going into the last week of the window Cabaye was still adamant he wanted a move and there were at least one or two players available in the transfer market that I felt would be decent replacements, so with a heavy heart I offered him out to the interested clubs. The only one to come back with a concrete offer was Valencia with a bid of £30 million (£5million upfront, the rest over 36 months). Since the other clubs seemed to have shot their bolt earlier in the window and could afford Le' Dreamy anymore I accepted Valencia's offer. Cabaye headed off to Spain on the last day of the window while I scrambled like a mad thing to get his replacements in place.

The money deals

The first big signing of the summer was Jan Kirchhoff from Mainz, who luckily for me had put in a transfer request. We picked him for £7.5 million upfront, with another £2million to follow in clauses regarding International caps and first team appearances. The next signing was considerably cheaper but also aimed at adding defensive cover as we picked up Brazilian veteran from Juventus for £200,000. Of course the main aim for signing Lucio was to provide an extra tutor for the likes of Streete and Good.

After that we picked up 2 very highly recommended youngsters for a combined fee of £8 million. Manu Vargas joined from Spanish club Las Palmas, a tall, skillful AMC, I'm hoping he has a bit of the Michu about him. Jiri Brabec joined from Slavia Prague. 19 years old, 6'5" tall striker with an excellent first touch and good passing. In the long run I'm hoping to develop a real partnership between him and Campbell.

That probably would have concluded my business for the summer window if I hadn't then decided to move on the obviously unhappy Yohan Cabaye. I'd identified a couple of potential replacements who were transfer listed and available, but decided to wait until the Cabaye deal went through so I could finance moves for 2 players. In the end settling on another two Serie A players as we bought in Andrea Poli from Sampdoria for £14.5 million (£4.5 million up front, the rest over 36 months to match the Cabaye deal) and Radja Nainggolan from Cagliari for £16.5 million (this deal again split with £6.5 million upfront and monthly payments after)

The youngsters

The scouts seem to be doing a pretty good job so far and this is what the £8 million spent on their recommendations bought.

manuvargasoverviewprofi.png

jiribrabecoverviewprofi.png

Fantastic update DandyDon. Vargas looks like he could be something special :thup: also Brabec offers something different for the poacher type forwards you have in Cisse, Destro and Campbell.

Solid signings on Kirchhoff, Poli and Nainggolan whilst Lucio should be invaluable off the field as well as offering good solid backup on the pitch.

Looks like you're set up for a good season.

----

Struggling to find the time to progress past pre-season on my own save as well as looking forward to the conclusion of the transfer window IRL so have started a save on FMC until the post-January patch which should hopefully see me get a few quick seasons in.

Archived