FM13: Everton F.C. - Featuring overused toffee puns

swisso

2416rte.jpg

Football Manager 2013: Everton F.C.

Firstly, welcome to the Everton F.C. thread for FM13! I'm the Everton Researcher, responsible for most the data regarding Everton in the game. If you find an error, please head over to the Data Forum and post it in the Everton topic and i'll discuss it further in there :)

Why Everton?

A strong end to the 2011-2012 season in which Pienaar returned, Gibson added security to the midfield and Jelavic established himself as a player of high calibre offered much going into the 2012-2013 season.

New faces

Bryan Oviedo arrived late in the window from FC Copenhagen for a small fee, the Costa Rican international offering cover for Baines at leftback and for Pienaar on the leftwing. Belgian Kevin Mirallas signed for £6m from Greek side Olympiakos, the tricky and speedy winger scored a hatful of goals last season in Greece and has settled well so far in the 2012-2013 season. Steven Naismith arrived on a free transfer in controversial circumstances from Rangers and offers flexibility across the front 4. A late loan move for Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe failed as FIFA refused to rubber stamp the deal

What's expected?

Kenwright and the Board expect a top-half finish for Everton, with Moyes having achieved the feat on a regular basis and going further and challenging for Europa League places most seasons.

- Top Half Finish: £1.5m for transfers / £725k for wages

- Europa League: £1.8m for transfers / £775k for wages

- Champions League: £2m for transfers / £800k for wages

The club is currently spending £683k on wages.

How are the finances?

The club will start with a balance of £6m with some Season Ticket money already coming in, but Evertons loans are rather troublesome and the money needs to be carefully managed!

- £23m long-term loan is owed to Bear Stearns

- £14m short-term loan is owed to Vibrac

- £6m bank overdraft to pay off

- £50m Finch Farm rental agreement until 2057 whereby Everton pay approximately £1m a year to lease Finch Farm back from the developers.

The loans can be troublesome so it's important not to spend heavily or wildly and to find balance. Ideally the wage budget needs to be kept around the £700k mark, any more without Champions League football and the club will fall quickly into more debt! The Premier Leagues new TV deal will help matters from 2013-2014 where Everton should receive around £54m for the season to ease the loan burden.

Stadium and Facilities

Goodison Park is falling down and has been for a long time now. Expansion, whilst possible is unlikely due to financial constraints. With enough money the Board will agree to a new stadium build.

Finch Farm is one of the highest rated facilties of it's kind in the Premier League, shared by the Academy and the Seniors, the facilties as rated as 'Top' in the game. Youth Coaching is rated as good, this is the rating of the clubs players at U16 level and below and heavily influences the quality of newgens produced every year. The Board will agree to an increase of funding to increase youth coaching if funds are available.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Present

afkbvt.jpg

The key players at Everton that will keep you in the hunt for European football!

Leighton Baines

• Position: Attacking Left-back
  • Profile: Rapidly establishing himself as the Premier Leagues best leftback, reknowned crosser of the ball with excellent creativity and dribbling skills and a master of set pieces. An integral part of the starting 11, expect to find a lot of clubs sniffing around, imperative you keep him at all costs unless you're prepared to sell for silly money!

Marouane Fellaini

• Position: Box-to-box Midfielder
  • Profile: Midfield general, intergral to Evertons good start to the 2012-2013 campaign. Solid tackler with a good reading of the game, keen on getting forward and using his height and strength to good advantage. A massive presence on the pitch, there aren't many players in his role of his size and stature, a must keep!

Nikica Jelavic

• Position: Striker
  • Profile: Poacher extraordinaire with an incredible knack of finding the net with first time shots. Playing at near his peak, he was a bargain from Rangers at £5m.

Steven Pienaar

• Position: Attacking Midfield / Playmaker
  • Profile: Brought back to Everton after being sorely missed, seen as a Baines 'enabler' his understanding with Baines is almost telepathic and the duo are among the deadliest combinations in the Premier League.

John Heitinga

• Position: Centrehalf / Ball-player
  • Profile: An indifferent start to his career at Everton, he shone in Jagielkas absence and last season was his best to date. Reknowned for his diagonal balls to the flanks from deep, he looks to play out of defence, although he is susceptible to strong and quick attackers.

Kevin Mirallas

• Position: Attacking Midfielder / Inside-forward
  • Profile: A speedy winger / inside-forward signed from Olympiakos for reasonable £6m, he's shown so far in the 2012-2013 season that he's at home in the Premier League. A direct player who looks to take people on and shoot when an opportunity arises.

Phil Jagielka

• Position: Centrehalf / Stopper
  • Profile: A typical English centrehalf, no-nonsense on the ball and prefers to keep it simple compared to his Dutch counterpart. A regular for England, although age is not on his side.

The Future

f3ey54.jpg

A promising batch of U21 players awaits for you to develop in the Everton stars of the next decade!

George Green

• Position: Attacking Midfield / Trequartista
  • Profile: Signed from Bradford City with much fanfare last season, George is a creative midfielder / forward used to playing 'in the hole' off the front man. Primarily used in Evertons U16s last season, he's bypassed the U18s this season and moved straight into the U21 squad. The Academy has high hopes for the next 'Paul Gascoigne'

Ross Barkley

• Position: Attacking Midfield / Playmaker
  • Profile: Developed at Everton since a young boy and considered in the same class as 'Wayne Rooney', Barkleys technique, creativity and footballing brain far exceed his age. Has featured sporadically for Everton, perhaps a sign of Moyes' unwillingness to trust him in a disciplined midfield role. Needs match time to develop into the player we know he can be.

John Lundstram

• Position: Holding Midfield / Box-to-box
  • Profile: In the same year as Ross all the way through Everton, as well as England squads at U17, U18 and U19 level, John is a fellow scouser, feisty in the tackle, good with both feet and an ability to launch counter-attacks from deep.

Luke Garbutt

• Position: Attacking left-back
  • Profile: Signed from Leeds United aged 16, Garbutt is in the 'Leighton Baines' mould and was a key player on loan for Cheltenham Town last season.

Gethin Jones

• Position: Midfield / Box-to-box
  • Profile: Welsh U19 International and Captain Gethin Jones is considered to have a bright future at Everton. Was playing U18 football for Everton last season despite still being in school and has already featured for Wales U19s this season. Has been used on the right wing this season by Everton U18s but is considered a centre midfielder.

Shane Duffy

• Position: Centrehalf
  • Profile: Irish U21 centrehalf Shane has been with Everton since he was 16, promising loan appearances last season and with several Everton appearances already to his name, but will need a full season under his belt to develop further. May need to go out on loan to the Championship.

The Everton way

Gone are the early days of Moyes of grinding out stubborn 1-0 wins, the Everton of 2012 is capable of quick attacking football down the flanks and through the middle.

The default formation is set as a conservative 4-4-1-1, although it's apparant this season that Moyes has opted for a more adventurous 4-2-3-1 with the hard-working disciplined players he has at his disposal.

7284y8.jpg

Attack

I've opted for the front 3 of Pienaar, Osman and Mirallas supporting Jelavic, which has been the widely used combination this season. Osman can be used to great effect down the middle with his vision and his finishing, Pienaar out wide left will cut inside and play passes into Baines on the overlap and Mirallas will also look to cut inside when the opportunity allows.

Jelavic features as the Poacher although this role has changed slightly since FM12 so i'll see about introducing specific instructions if he doesn't perform properly. Anichebe and Vellios offer backup, although can't be relied upon.

Midfield

A difficult one; Fellaini can be destructive upfield, but his attributes also lend him to be a ball winning midfielder and with his height, he's unmatched in the centre of the park. The difficult decision was Neville or Gibson alongside him as the covering holding player. Gibsons better passing ability narrowly wins out over Nevilles old head.

Defence

Utilising Baines' strengths of dribbling, crossing and movement requires him to be given a Wingback role, i've given him an attack duty as to allow him to make forays into the opposition area when necessary. Heitinga and Jagielka form the defensive partnership, both have similar roles and duties and i'll look to change Heitinga to a ball-playing defender over the course of the season depending on how the season goes. Nevilles better mental attributes win out at right-back over Hibbert on a defend duty so as not to unbalance the team with 2 attacking fullbacks.

Recommendations

Tutoring and developing youth

Before sending out the likes of Lundstram, Barkley and Garbutt on loan, i feel it's important to have them tutored by senior players first to raise their hidden mental attributes; the likes of Professionalism, Ambition, Pressure handling and Determination. These key attributes will define how a player develops over his career.

The likes of Jagielka, Baines, Fellaini, Neville, Osman and Pienaar are all seen as reliable tutors... perhaps Baines > Garbutt, Jagielka > Duffy, Neville > Lundstram, Pienaar > Barkley, Osman > Green. Once you're satisfied the tutoring has had an effect or you've noticed slight improvements, then it's time to give them first team football! Barkley and Duffy should be looking at Championship level, whilst the rest should be looking at League One or Two clubs for their football. Ideally you want them playing every week so refuse loans where the squad status is cover and refuse loans where the club will play the youngster out of position.

Movers and shakers

Moyes tried to move for Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe on loan and has subsequently moved for Hitzlsperger until January (he won't appear in the game just yet) so it's telling that Moyes feels the centre of the pitch lacks depth and i agree.

Sadly there isn't much room to manourvre in the market with only £1.5m to play with, although Ruben Yttergård Jenssen from Tromso in Norway remains a viable midfield target for just £1.2m and will adapt to England quite well. Having Jan Mucha on the books taking up £20k per week seems excessive, so look to get rid for around £1.5m; with any luck Man City will take him off your hands for that amount up front to top up your budget to around £2.5m.

With £2.5m to spend, Ezequiel Cirigliano from River plate remains another target, the little Argentine with an Italian passport has a bright future and provided you spend over 36months or more, he can be yours with low wage demands and a high sell-on value.

Nearing the end

Neville and Distin are coming to the end of their contracts and taking up more than £75,000 per week between them, which isn't really feasible for a club of Evertons finances. Personally i'd wait until June 2013 and offer them both 1 year extensions, which they should agree to, for around £15,000 per week or less. They'd both still be useful as emergency backups for next season and both would be reliable tutors!

Now... over to you!

You're going to be disappointed with Green :)

I think you're expecting to see high attributes in some areas when in reality he's only 16 with little football played at a high level, he's one for the future and has 4-5 years of development until he's 21 :)

I'll be providing some database files when the full-game is released, which will include minor fixes which probably won't make the full game like Mucha's retirement, Hitzlsperger signing etc and another with perhaps 3 or 4 of the better U16 players like Ryan Ledson, Jon Joe Kenny and Joe Williams.

I'd be surprised if McAleny makes it here. He won't make it as a striker i'm sure of that, he's too small and weak and doesn't have a whole lot to his game to enable him to play up front on his own.

He's been at his best playing out wide left and cutting inside, he's a good enough dribbler, has good enough acceleration to get away from his man and is fairly agile with quick feet. He'll make it in the Championship or League One but i'd be surprised if he did at Everton, which is a shame because he's from my neck of the woods :)

Sold Fellani for 23m in the end, maybe I should of held off for more but oh well, here are my transfers in and out so far.

IN

Francois Coquelin - Loan from Arsenal

Oskar Hiljemark 1m - Effsborg

Valentino Lazaro - 6k - Red Bull Salzburg

Frantisek Rajtorral - 750k - Viktoria Plzen

Andreas Cornelius - 1.3m - FC Kobenhavn

Mikkel Anderssen - 350k - Reading

Ruben Yttegard Jenssen - 3.5m - Tromso

Tony Watt - 2.5m - Celtic

Vladmir Darida - 1m - Viktoria Plzen

Ole Kristian Selness - 1m - Rosenborg

Martin Fillo - 725k - Viktoria Plzen

Jerry Vandam - Loan - LOSC

Thomas Hiltzlesperger - Free

OUT

Phil Neville - Free - Aston Villa

Jan Mucha - 1.5m - Man Utd

Marouanne Fellani - 23m - Man City

Tony Hibbert - 1.5m - Fulham

Victor Anichebe - Loan - Burnley

Sylvian Distin - 450k - Southampton

Also loaned out a few youth players and released the rubbish.

Lost the first game of the season 3-0 to Spurs but hopefully will bounce back from it.

How you getting along Tommo? Gibson is taking too many longshots for me and Jelavic is hardly seeing any of the ball because play normally breaks down before the ball reaches him :(

Trying to get Baines to perform is difficult, i had him on Wingback Attack but found he'd often linger in the penalty area too long and we'd have no leftback cover if the opposition counter attacked!

How you getting along Tommo? Gibson is taking too many longshots for me and Jelavic is hardly seeing any of the ball because play normally breaks down before the ball reaches him :(

Trying to get Baines to perform is difficult, i had him on Wingback Attack but found he'd often linger in the penalty area too long and we'd have no leftback cover if the opposition counter attacked!

0-0 vs West Ham (a)

0-0 vs Swansea (h)

2-0 vs Huddersfield (a)

3-0 vs Reading (a)

So far, so good. We missed three clear chances against West Ham and a couple against Swansea so I'm not worried about goals. I think they will start to come now. Four clean sheets is nice to see too. I had Gibson in the DLP role instead of Osman but I found the same thing, too many long shots, the downside to him having that PPM I guess. Not sure he'll ever make it in my side. Baines has done well as a supporting wing back, with Pienaar playing as a inside forward he's giving Baines plenty of space to get into.

Just thought Id update you, played terrible till December even after trying a few different formations, found a decent formation I downloaded and have won 3 games in a row now.

Signed Hargreaves, Dzagoev, Jimmy Nielsen on a free, signed Ezequiel Cirgilano for 5m from River, Ademilson for 5.25m from Sao Paulo, Titi for 2m from Bahia, Juan Sanchez Mino for 600k from Boca Juniors and Marco Stiepermann for 1.5m from Cottbus.

Sold Osman for 2m to Notts Forest, Darron Gibson for 2.5m to Southampton.

Currently in 14th position with 9 games to go.

How are you playing with the tactics Swisso. I find being with control and balanced as the mentality and a balanced philosophy. However, even with stick to position, Baines does tend to charge up field. Although he does tend to charge back (FM12 save).

One question if I may. How do you rate Thomas Hengen as a scout. I know this seems obvious but he has unearthed what appears to be a German wonderkid form Nurnberg I think. Name is Badden I think. Anyway, this kids PA is only two stars, but he is listed as being a probable excelent PRM player if you know what I mean. The stars just does not seem to reflect the overall level of talent against say an average PRM player. Just curious on a data level here.

Thomas Hengen was transferred into Everton from the German Database and there's been very little mention of him doing any work for Everton but i know he works for us :D

I'd have the player scouted by Waldron, Cooke or Hamilton, all 3 of them are better at scouting youngsters than Hengen :)

0-0 vs West Ham (a)

0-0 vs Swansea (h)

2-0 vs Huddersfield (a)

3-0 vs Reading (a)

So far, so good. We missed three clear chances against West Ham and a couple against Swansea so I'm not worried about goals. I think they will start to come now. Four clean sheets is nice to see too. I had Gibson in the DLP role instead of Osman but I found the same thing, too many long shots, the downside to him having that PPM I guess. Not sure he'll ever make it in my side. Baines has done well as a supporting wing back, with Pienaar playing as a inside forward he's giving Baines plenty of space to get into.

So how are you guys setting up the rest of your tactics?

Going for short passing? Offside (or counter).

I've bought a couple of players in my save, although i'll probably regret it down the line with outgoings everything month. Managed to flog Jonny H for 8mil, and got Jores Okore in.

Have bought Jason Lowe from Blackburn (think its Jason anyway....), good young right back/defence midfield. Technicals need improving but mental and physical stats are very good. He's got 4 goals in 8 games for me :)

Also got Jonas Svensson as an attacking midfield, and the new wonderkid at Utd (Henriquez?) on loan for striker cover.

Thomas Hengen was transferred into Everton from the German Database and there's been very little mention of him doing any work for Everton but i know he works for us :D

I'd have the player scouted by Waldron, Cooke or Hamilton, all 3 of them are better at scouting youngsters than Hengen :)

Coolio and thanks :) Yeah, Waldron getting on a bit lol. Thinking about it, I may have demeaned Thomas a lil bit. Decent player ravaged by injury. I guess cue a German enforcer at some point.

So how are you guys setting up the rest of your tactics?

Going for short passing? Offside (or counter).

I've bought a couple of players in my save, although i'll probably regret it down the line with outgoings everything month. Managed to flog Jonny H for 8mil, and got Jores Okore in.

Have bought Jason Lowe from Blackburn (think its Jason anyway....), good young right back/defence midfield. Technicals need improving but mental and physical stats are very good. He's got 4 goals in 8 games for me :)

Also got Jonas Svensson as an attacking midfield, and the new wonderkid at Utd (Henriquez?) on loan for striker cover.

Sold Jonny to city for 7mil, but going to have a looksie at Lowe. Thanks for heads up fella :)

Tommo1. Am intrigued at how you got Baines to be affective at WB. Share your knowledge please :) Can't seem to work it out myself.

but going to have a looksie at Lowe. Thanks for heads up fella :)

He's a bit of a beast - 18 aggression/bravery/stamina, 19 work rate, 14 determination, 14 tackling - PPM's are dives into tackles, gets forward and plays simple passes. He's 21, english, can play right back or across midfield.

Any one else find Jelavic is offside an awful lot?

Anyways, I'm sitting in 7th at the start of Feb, started the season VERY slowly, as did Jela, was on about 2 goals after 17 games, now on 10 after 27. Brought Dzagoev, Adryan, Okore, Gordon and Cirigliano, sold Heitinga for £9m to Newcastle and Mucha to Bolton for 1.7m Let Naismith go on loan to Fulham with view to perm move for £4m. Got Weiss, Dreyer(new back up keeper, going to flog Gordon for whatever I can) and the LEGEND that is Denis Stracqualursi signing on frees at end of the season. Was so close to getting Bocchetti in too but he went for Milan in the end.

Jellyfish is offside ALL the time for me, I havent got round to looking at why yet. Is it just a simple case of lowering his mentality? Of do I need to look at something else? Maybe tell him to drop deep to collect the ball?

I had an awful start, after 14 games I was bottom and out of the LC, fearing for my job. Managed to turn it round and up to 10th after the first game in Feb. If we had form like this at the start then I would be challenging for a Champs League spot.

Havent done much in transfers, although I noticed a bunch of german 14 year old newgens so trialed about 30 and picked up 4 as better prospects than my own youth. The keeper is already labelled the next "Famous German Keeper" and after tutoring him by Jan Mucha his determination went up from about 10 to 18!!! This game will be my first paying attention to developing youth so very happy with that result!

Loving the new game!

Seems you can get £1.7m up front from Bolton and Notts Forest if you offer Mucha out straight away.

Gives you £3m to play with and £50k in wages :D

Tempted to go for Landon Donovan but Galaxy want over £5m for him, which seems unrealistic given he's only got 1 season left over there. Might keep the money and see who's available come Christmas.

What tactic are you using Transk53?

I just have Baines on standard Wing Back - Support settings.

A 4-5-1 with>

LB/D - CD/D - CD/D - RB/D

DMC/ BWM or Anchor

CML/D - CMR/S

AMR/Winger or IF - ST/AF or Poacher - AML/Winger or IF.

Both wingers on attack or support depending on the strength of the opposition defence. I use balanced philosophy.Use stick to position and control mentality with a high degree of width. Coupel that with counter attacking. Most other stuff is on default (still kinda tweaking at the mo) but use more pressing as once the midfield win the ball, the glory boys take over. I admire French football quite a lot and like to think that I have captured some of the old wing style play. Whether that is erroneous or not!

OFC, this my final FM12 save though, did not get the pre order thing down.

you can get £30 million for fellaini.. and as good as he is....£30 million to a team as bare as everton makes it worth it in my eyes...

I never like to make any major changes to the squad, kinda defeats the point in managing Everton really :D

On previous saves in 11 and 12, Baines always transfers to the Gooners and felly seems to stay. However, as borussia dortmund, I managed to prise him away quite easily. As Everton though, he seems very loyal and even refused to move on a save on 11.

Can you keep hold of the likes of Baines & Fellaini? Or do they get itchy feet and want to move to a bigger club?

If you put their asking prices around £30m so nobody bids for them, they're both happy to stay. I finished 2nd in the League though and qualified for the Champions League so they're both happy to stay :D

If you put their asking prices around £30m so nobody bids for them, they're both happy to stay. I finished 2nd in the League though and qualified for the Champions League so they're both happy to stay :D

That's certainly a good enough reason for them to stay there! :D

I've not managed Everton in FM for years. I think that they would be great to manage in FM13 because a represent a different challenge to most Premier League sides.

That's certainly a good enough reason for them to stay there! :D

I've not managed Everton in FM for years. I think that they would be great to manage in FM13 because a represent a different challenge to most Premier League sides.

Am in 1st place getting into Mid January on the beta, first season, managed to hold onto both (although Baines wanted a new contract).

However my beta save is fubared due to a dodgy free transfer that now has put the player into my squad twice (and i can't give him a squad number).

To Prowl; I offered about 40k a week(just under), accepted first time! He's been class for me in the 2nd season.

Welshace; Mirallas has been excellent for me. Sold Pienaar and Naismith, got Weiss in and play a combination of him Barkley, Gueye and Ossie. Getting by. Got my eye on a few players for when I get some money! Victor Moses just been transfer listed for 4.2m so considering scraping some pennies together for him!

Hmm. I will have to try that. he wouldn't accept 53K and asked for 84K!!!!! Has anyone tried signing Drenthe? I was thinking he'd be a great free signing. I'm just sorting out my scouting and coaches (hiring and firing) before I even get to players in depth

Dave Watson's reputation put me off bringing him in as Assistant, but he has great coaching ability. I wasn't sure whether he had low potential ability as a coach/asst etc, so I went for Neil McDonald, who I've had as Assistant Manager in the past. He's Asst Man at West Ham IRL. He used to play for Everton and I've just found out via Wikipedia that he was Everton's player of the year in 1990-91.

Archived