"Chester - The Art Of Youth Development"

Tactic Master

Northampton 4 - 5 Chester

The most amazing match i've ever been involved in! At half time we were 2 down, so for the first time in a while I re-introduced the hair dryer treatment! Soon enough we were 3 down, but 8 minute later Sarcevic turned up with a special goal as he has done so often. Then it appeared to be all over and looked to be getting worse 4 minutes later as Jack Smith scored his 4th for Northampton, bringing the score to 4 - 1... I moved some players around and introduced Lewis Jones for the 12th time since his career began in 2011! It was desperate times with Petrillo and Smart away on International duty and some how we won 5 - 4!!!

My Assistant Manager and my Captain have both praised my post match, whilst Kyle Pope has revealed my anger from the half time teamtalk :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Chester] Mid-Season Update - League 2 [second Season]

npower League 2

Last Season Recap

Last year, we finished 18th in the league due the a major overhaul in personel! I removed almost all of the old guard (the originals) and replaced them with my YP's and also the other youth players that didn't make it for a YP tag. This meant that our players just weren't good enough for the league, but after a late surge in the last month of the season, we managed to secure our spot for this years npower League 2.

This Season

This season has been absolutely amazing, with Brett Smart and Eric Davidson appearing on the scene from our last youth intake in March, we have been unstoppable! I changed the tactics this season with a view to using my attacking talent to the full and it has worked amazingly! As you can see from the League Table, we are unbeaten, alongside this seasons rivals Port Vale! We are both running away with the league right now, but it's only a matter of time before one of us loses, it's inevitable... I think it could come down to our reverse match, after drawing our first 1 - 1.

We play a 4 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 1 formation, with a DM, 2 CM's, RW, LW and an ST

We have several options for the RW and LW, whilst we have Christian Walsh YP05 who is an out and out striker, so this tactic fits perfectly with the squad.

Squad Stats

I start my games with usually with Brett Smart on the right, Gary Beckford on the left and Christian Walsh up front. If things aren't going well, then I substitute Walsh, put Beckford or Smart up front and bring on either Petrillo or Pope. If Pope or Petrillo aren't available, I use Jordan Whitfield. Eric Davidson didn't start the season, but after a while picked up the MC spot and has made it his own with a massive 13 assists in just 18 games!!!

BRING ON THE 2ND HALF!

Strolling in the league this season!

What does SYP01 mean ?

Special Youth Product 01

He has amazing potential and started as a 5 star CA and comes in as arguably my best player in that sense, so I thought i'd create the new tag.

Arkas, I think your right, they've really come on this season.

2016/2017 Season Youth Intake

Youth Intake Squad

This was probably one of my worst intakes in a while, but we have come away with one youth player that catches my eye and he's a Goalkeeper, which has been a long time coming!

Goalkeeper - Reece Jeffries

According to my ability comparison list, Reece is my best Goalkeeper, so he will fit straight into the team! He's also viewed to be twice as good as my current goalkeeper, but thats not difficult :D His potential is 5 stars, but none of my coaches are willing to comment on his potential any further :(

2016/2017 Season Youth Intake

Youth Intake Squad

This was probably one of my worst intakes in a while, but we have come away with one youth player that catches my eye and he's a Goalkeeper, which has been a long time coming!

Goalkeeper - Reece Jeffries

According to my ability comparison list, Reece is my best Goalkeeper, so he will fit straight into the team! He's also viewed to be twice as good as my current goalkeeper, but thats not difficult :D His potential is 5 stars, but none of my coaches are willing to comment on his potential any further :(

Who is Pietro Spada? Is he Sammarinese?

End Of Season Report - 2016/2017

Chester - League 2

This is our second season in League 2 and our most interesting and entertaining season yet! Last season I completely revamped the first team, bringing through as many youth players as possible, replacing the old guard that had got us this far. It almost ended in tears, but for a fantastic end to the season, finishing 18th after several wins, coming off a 13 game run of losses and draws. Thankfully the revamp has proven to be a success and helped me to move the club forward! By January 1st we were unbeaten in the league and destroying any team we went up against.

npower League 2 | Squad | Fixtures | Finances | Transfers | Youth Intake Squad

Champions!!!

Our second half to the season was entirely different to the first, becoming more of a struggle to keep up the pace, but thankfully several of our key players managed to keep fit and Gary Beckford in particular managed to stay almost injury free, except for a few niggles. In previous years, Beckford has suffered several injuries and is seen as our most injury prone player. It is absolutely amazing the way we won the title, joint top with Port Vale who kept up the pace and kept the league interesting, but goal difference was the major factor in the end and that proves how important it is to score as many goals as you can.

Hopefully we can keep this squad together for next season, but there is major interest from several clubs for our star man Brett Smart and if he was to leave, we would lose a pivotal part of our squad.

Awards

Player Of The Month - Gary Beckford (October) & Christian Walsh (April)

Young Player Of The Month - Brett Smart (August) & Christian Walsh (March)

Player Of The Year - Brett Smart

Team Of The Year - Brett Smart, Gary Beckford & Christian Walsh

Top Goalscorer - Christian Walsh

Youth Products

• Gary Beckford - Has had a tough career so far at Chester, seen as the icon of the club, the first YP to make it onto the scene, but has taken huge strides this season to prove he deserves his YP status! 24 goals and 11 assists, mainly from Attacking Left Midfield, with a few appearances up front.
  • Manuele De Petrillo - Unfortunately for Petrillo, it appears his career at Chester is coming to an end. He is only seen as a backup player now, due to the wide range of talent available for the Attacking Left Midfield position!
  • Rod Delfouneso - Had always been seen as a future star in midfield and has finally shown his ability, with 55 sensational appearances this season! Amazingly, Delfouneso has never suffered an injury, so has always been available for selection!
  • Kyle Pope - This guy is known as the impact player. He has made 48 appearances, but 34 of those were off the bench! He can play on the left and on the right, whilst his main position is up front, but he did usually play on the wing. He wasn't as influential as others, but scored some important goals.
  • Christian Walsh - I had huge hopes for this guy after a fantastic first full season last season and he hasn't disappointed! He was our out and out striker and extremely reliable! He picked up a couple of injuries, but thankfully they were only very short spells on the sidelines.
  • Ciaran Wood - Has formed an amazing partnership with Ryan James and must take huge credit for the strides he's taken this season, after previously disappointing in his performances. Is a well rounded defender and will be pivotal to our survival challenge next season.
  • Eric Davidson - I never intended on using Davidson as much as I have, but once he got into the team, he couldn't stopped creating chances! 22 amazing assists from Central Midfield is extrodinary!
  • Reece Jeffries - This years youth intake player and the only one to pick up the YP status this season! He came in and was already the best goalkeeper at the club. Has a few flaws in his play, but he's only young and hopefully I can mould his stats and make him into a top goalkeeper!
  • Brett Smart - An absolute beast of a player, proving he deserves is SYP status, scoring 22 goals and assisting 30! Easily our player of the season and managed all this, mostly from Attacking Right Midfield! Easily a major factor towards Christian Walsh's amazing goalscoring ability.

Season      Division   Position   Achievement
2012/2013   BSN        2nd        Promotion Via Playoffs
2013/2014   BSP        13th       Mid-Table
2014/2015   BSP        4th        Promotion Via Playoffs
2015/2016   L2         18th       Avoided Relegation
2016/2017   L2         1st        Champions

Unfortunately, some rather big teams are looking at him, so if one came in with an offer, I doubt I could keep hold of him :(

[Edit] I go back on what I just said, he has just turned 17 and signed his contract that I provisionally offered him and all interest has disappeared! :) £475 per week is brilliant for me!

Mid Season Report

Chester-1.png

Season 2017/2018

This is officially my longest ever Football Manager save! This goes to show how much i'm enjoying it and hopefully I can continue to play this save for a long time!

Npower League 1 | Fixtures

Npower League 1

Although I have to admit that i believed we would do well, I didn't think we would do this well! Only 4 points behind 1st place and if we carry on at this rate, we are almost guaranteed a top half finish at least. We've had some massive victories so far this season, but also some very annoying and avoidable losses, including our opening match against Coventry, which we lost to a 92nd minute goal. Coventry had 2 shots on target, whilst we had 8 and we lost 2 - 1, but then we could look towards the following match against MK Dons, which we won 5 - 1! It should have been 6, but Walsh missed a penalty.

Managers Thoughts: I think we will gain a play-off spot come the end of the season, as I don't think we have the best consistency and I believe one team will run away with the league. Automatic Promotion is an outside chance.

League Cup

1st Round: Leeds United 4 - 2 Chester

Managers Thoughts: Yet again, we get a very difficult draw and lose! Hopefully next season will bring something different, something easier.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy North

1st Round: Rochdale 1 - 4 Chester

2nd Round: Port Vale 1 - 2 Chester

Quarter Final: Chester 3 - 1 Mansfield

Semi Final: Burton 0 - 3 Chester

Managers Thoughts: For the first time ever, we look like we could go all the way in a cup competition! Considering what we managed in the FA Cup last season, this looks like a walk in the park! The South looks much more difficult, whilst the 4 teams we have faced were all from League 2. We will meet a League 1 opposition most likely in the actual Final, but in the North Final we face League 2 opposition again.

FA Cup

1st Round: Chester 2 - 0 Coventry

2nd Round: Chester 3 - 1 Brentford

Managers Thoughts: Easy enough draws in my eyes, although we had to fight to beat Coventry. With the 3rd round draw, we face Blue Square Bet South team Eastleigh which almost guarantees us to reach the 4th round! Hopefully we can move further than that or at least face a big team.

The Star Player

Christian Walsh - He's just getting better and better and is top of the goalscorers list in the npower league 1! Other players haven't performed as well as last season, but Walsh is helping to hold things together.

An Unfortunate Incident

Gary Beckford - Has done a good job this season, almost as good as last season, but unfortunately his season has ended early with a broken leg! It's definately a huge blow, but thankfully Kyle Pope has been making huge strides this season and will take his place.

Cheers guys, I'd have to agree with Delta though, I doubt we can look at automatic promotion, especially considering recent results.

I was always confident of a good season in League 1, due to the fact that we dominated some Championship teams and beat a Premiership team last season in the Cup.

6th season and it's your longest game? I'm disappointed if my games don't go at least double that.

Well I think i've told a bit of a white lie right there, as I was part of an online clan which had run longer than that, but on an offline basis, i've never gone longer than 5 I don't think. I do have to admit that I never used to play FM as much as I do now, although that could be partly due to the fact I used to play other games aswell, whilst FM is now the main game I play with very few others.

• 1 month later...

Archived